PDA

View Full Version : Last Yankees - Red Sox series at Yankee Stadium starts tonight

RFS62
08-26-2008, 07:34 PM
I believe that tonight begins the last 3 game series the Red Sox will ever play at historic Yankee Stadium.

Greatest sports rivalry ever?

Highlifeman21
08-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I believe that tonight begins the last 3 game series the Red Sox will ever play at historic Yankee Stadium.

Greatest sports rivalry ever?

In a word, no. Great question though, RFS.

Red Sox/Yankees would barely make my top 5 of:

1. tOSU/Michigan
2. Tar Heels/Duke
3. Jack/Arnie
4. Frazier/Ali
5. Red Sox Yankees

Redskins/Cowboys would be a close 6th, IMO.

What say you, RedsZone Nation?

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Red Sox/Yankees is easily the biggest rivalry in sports IMO. Those others highman listed are nice but nothing compares to the Yanks/Sox rivalry. Look at all the great players that have played for those two teams and all the championships won between them.

Ltlabner
08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
In a word, no. Great question though, RFS.

Red Sox/Yankees would barely make my top 5 of:

1. tOSU/Michigan
2. Tar Heels/Duke
3. Jack/Arnie
4. Frazier/Ali
5. Red Sox Yankees

Redskins/Cowboys would be a close 6th, IMO.

What say you, RedsZone Nation?

tOSU/Michigan bores most of the planet. Really. The only people who care are alums, drunk fratboys and people who like to eat nacho-dip at the gameday parties.

Frazier/Ali was a great riverly but didn't last all that long relative to Red Sox/Yankees.

Same with Jack/Arnie, however, I'd say most of the WWII and some older babyboomers would really relate to this riverly since it happened more when they were younger, golf as a hobby was exploding, etc.

I might throw up Celtics/Lakers although that also suffers from a lack of longevity relative to Sox/Yanks.

When I think Redskins/Cowboys I think Reds/Dodgers. It made sense sometime in the past. Now....why are we rivals again?

Other interesting ones (but not near the top of the list):
Cubs and the Goat/Futility
USA v. Soviet Union olympic teams during the Cold War
John McEnroe and that guy who's name I can't remember

_Sir_Charles_
08-26-2008, 08:09 PM
jimmy connors <--- the guy who's name you can't remember.

http://espn.go.com/endofcentury/s/other/bestrivalries.html

This list is pretty darned good. I'm surprised that ESPN did something halfway decent. :O)

Ltlabner
08-26-2008, 08:11 PM
jimmy connors <--- the guy who's name you can't remember.

Thank you sir.

How about Army/Navy ? (as an interesting one, not a top ranked rivalry).

westofyou
08-26-2008, 08:12 PM
The only people who care are alums, drunk fratboys and people who like to eat nacho-dip at the gameday parties.

I didn't go to either school, I wasn't in a frat, and I hate nacho cheese.... and I haven't missed one since 1972.

I think you meant Cal vs Stanford.

Want a good rivalry?

Nothing tops the Hatfield's vs the McCoys

RFS62
08-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Want a good rivalry?

Nothing tops the Hatfield's vs the McCoys

I know many descendants of both sides. I grew up in what was once Devil Anse's apple orchard.

They've made up. There was a Hatfield-McCoy Ford dealership a few years ago.

More people get killed every weekend in Detroit than did in the entire feud.

BCubb2003
08-26-2008, 08:34 PM
6. Sabermetrics vs. Old School

MWM
08-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Yanks/Sox is the best rivalry, IMO.

Degenerate39
08-26-2008, 08:48 PM
The Yanks/Sox is the most overrated in sports. Thanks to ESPN.

BCubb2003
08-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Yanks-Sox goes all the way back to "No, No Nanette," plus DiMaggio vs. Williams, but it's only been the last few years (and ESPN) that you can say they've been head to head. Or am I wrong about that?

vaticanplum
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
The Yankees/Sox rivalry predates a lot of these other organized sports, let alone individual rivalries.

You can say what you will about ESPN in the 21st century, but saying they have anything to do with the existence of this rivalry is like saying there was no crime before we had 24-hour news channels to beat us over the head with every kidnapping/murder/political misstep ad nauseum. We hear a lot about it, but that shouldn't undermine the history, the foundation, and the genuine hatred that has existed (off and on, but more on than off) between these two teams for almost the last hundred years. There's a pretty healthy rivalry between the cities of New York and Boston too...which either exacerbated this rivalry or was exacerbated by it, not sure which, but that's not something you can really say about Columbus and Ann Arbor or Boston and Los Angeles.

klw
08-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Oxford v Cambridge
Lions v Gladiators
Harvard v Yale
Amherst v. Williams
India v Pakistan (cricket)

_Sir_Charles_
08-26-2008, 10:30 PM
LOL. Lions v Gladiators. Gotta love it.

Republicans v Democrats?
Politicians v Assassins?
Roadrunner v Coyote?

westofyou
08-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Can't beat this one

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/spy%20vs%20spy.bmp

blumj
08-27-2008, 12:07 AM
BTW, it was unbelievably dense of MLB to schedule the last Yankee Stadium Yanks/Sox series for August, when the 2 teams are actually playing each other again the last 3 games of the season. In Boston. It would have been so easy just to flip them so this August series would be in Boston and the last one of the season in NY where it should be. Even if it turned out to be completely meaningless in the standings, there's enough history to make it meaningful as a storyline.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-27-2008, 01:52 AM
tOSU/Michigan bores most of the planet. Really. The only people who care are alums, drunk fratboys and people who like to eat nacho-dip at the gameday parties.

I also didn't attend either school, live nowhere near either state and nothing gets me pumped up like the morning of OSU-Michigan.

And plenty of people who I work with who have never even BEEN to either state wouldn't miss this one.

Sox-Yanks? My name isn't Peter Gammons so I couldn't possibly care less.

WVRedsFan
08-27-2008, 02:09 AM
I also didn't attend either school, live nowhere near either state and nothing gets me pumped up like the morning of OSU-Michigan.

And plenty of people who I work with who have never even BEEN to either state wouldn't miss this one.

Sox-Yanks? My name isn't Peter Gammons so I couldn't possibly care less.

Go Buckeyes! And even so, I won't watch. Football is not something we normally watch in my house, even WVU and Marshall, the local teams.

As for the Red Sox and Yankees, who cares? If it were the Dodgers in the last series at Crosley Field, I'd be there, but two teams in two metropolitan areas who are are far from here...no. I might watch, but the anticipation will not be much. I really couldn't care less.

puca
08-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Roadrunner v Coyote?

Too one-sided to be considered a rivalry

nate
08-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Us vs. Them

cumberlandreds
08-27-2008, 10:40 AM
I know many descendants of both sides. I grew up in what was once Devil Anse's apple orchard.

They've made up. There was a Hatfield-McCoy Ford dealership a few years ago.

More people get killed every weekend in Detroit than did in the entire feud.

There were more family fueds in which more people were killed and were much more bitter. It got the attention because a Chicago newspapper writer decided to write about them and probably sensationalized it.
As far as sports the Red Sox/Yankees has to be on top because it has lasted so long. Plenty of others go back that far but have waned over the years such as the Dodgers/Giants rivalry.
I agree with blumj this series should have been flipped to the last weekend. Really dumb of MLB not to do this.

RichRed
08-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Bear vs. Shark

RichRed
08-27-2008, 10:44 AM
When I think Redskins/Cowboys I think Reds/Dodgers. It made sense sometime in the past. Now....why are we rivals again?

Well, the Redskins and Cowboys are at least still in the same division. I can't even imagine a scenario where fans of the Redskins won't hate the Cowboys with a white-hot intensity, and vice versa (says this longtime Redskins fan).

KronoRed
08-27-2008, 04:29 PM
I'd consider it a top rivalry if neither of the teams were tremendously dull, instead it's a snoozer :sleep:

klw
08-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Celtic v Rangers

Evert v Navratalova