PDA

View Full Version : Reds name players heading to the AFL

dougdirt
08-26-2008, 08:51 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/documents/2008/08/26/3370621/1/2008_AFL_Rosters.pdf

Drew Stubbs
Chris Valaika
Justin Turner
Sean Henry (Taxi Squad that only plays Wed and Sat)
Carlos Fisher
Robert Manuel
Pedro Viola
Sean Watson

Now there is a little confusion because this page says Matt Maloney is heading there, but he is not listed on the roster.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080826&content_id=450525&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I've heard that Maloney is going.

Redman15
08-26-2008, 09:58 PM
I heard Maloney is heading to the Dominican winter league or someplace like it.

RedsManRick
08-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Looks like a good list to me. A bit surprised Roenicke isn't on it given how few professional innings he's thrown.

joe51391
08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I would love to see Alonso on there so he could start next year at AA or even posibly AAA. I think Bailey could benifit from going there too

RED VAN HOT
08-27-2008, 05:33 PM
It's interesting to speculate on the list as it may provide clues of management's thoughts on next year. It seems to me that Stubbs is on the fast track and they are attempting to put him in position to compete for the CF job out of spring training. If they had made up their minds that he needed another year of AAA, I don't think they would use a slot for him. To a lesser extent, I suspect that the same is true for Fisher.

Turner is an interesting choice. Although he has not been discussed on the board to the extent that Valaika has, their overall stats are very similar. They have played together at every level. Typically, CV's promotions have preceded JT's by a month or so, but they have nevertheless spent more time on the same rosters than on different ones. Discussions of range aside, I don't think the Reds have given up on Valaika as a SS. A team could do far worse than to have their SS-2B combination grow up through the system together. I suspect that they are slated for Louisville together.

I suspect that Henry, Manuel, Viola, and Watson are all being sent to work on specific areas of their game that stand between them and a promotion to AAA. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of their performance could help.

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Keep An Eye On: Javelinas' pitchers won't have to worry about doubles to the gaps, as Austin Jackson, Greg Halman and Drew Stubbs will give them an outfield manned by three center fielders. Stubbs struck out far too much in low Class A last year—a true sign of trouble for a first-round pick out of college. But after offseason surgery to fix a toe problem, Stubbs has shown improved plate coverage this year as he's climbed from high Class A to Triple-A. He still has the 3.7 speed to first base and plus arm that makes him a potential Gold Glover in center field.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/winter-baseball/arizona-fall-league/2008/266760.html

Mario-Rijo
08-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Could some of those names be on the list to get more exposure in order to drum up some offseason interest in them? I wonder???

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 02:39 AM
Could some of those names be on the list to get more exposure in order to drum up some offseason interest in them? I wonder???

You have to imagine thats the plan for at least 1 guy heading there.