PDA

View Full Version : Without Griffey chasing history, do we raise the walls?

Kradokk
08-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Without Griffey, I think the walls in right field should be raised to match the rest of the ballpark. The walls were obviously very friendly to a hitter like Junior, and I wouldn't doubt that management had him in mind when they configured the park. I am sure there was a hope that short fence in right would allow Griffey to chase history, and Aaron.

I would like to see the walls raised, to make the park a bit more pitcher friendly, and maybe encourage free agents to look at Cincy more favorably.

Just a thought...

LouisvilleCARDS
08-26-2008, 10:19 PM
I think something needs to be done to bring down the launching pad nature of the stadium for sure.

PopFlyHomer
08-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Harang mentioned the other day that ownership should consider removing the first 2 rows of seats in right field and making the wall the same height as the left field wall. I'm sure Walt has put a bug in Castellini's ear about this already... so I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen during this offseason. There's obviously money that needs to be spent for doing this, but they really can't afford NOT to do it. This team needs all the help it can get for next year and beyond, and making the park a bit more pitcher-friendly is a good start.

Ghosts of 1990
08-27-2008, 08:36 AM
No.

We still have Bruce and Votto. Leave the RF porch alone. Jeese.

elfmanvt07
08-27-2008, 08:41 AM
No.

We still have Bruce and Votto. Leave the RF porch alone. Jeese.

That's a valid point. I expect the two of them to one day combine for 60 jacks a year. When/if they develop true homerun power, then raise em up, and they can hit jacks anyway.

redsbuckeye
08-27-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't know why, there's no absolute advantage to have the walls one way or the other.

redsfanmia
08-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Do something to make the ballpark less of a bandbox. This park was poorly planned out and honestly I think poorly designed. I wish current ownership was in charge of the construction and then the focus would have been on building a great park instead of coming in under budget.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I was kinda hoping the just push it back 5 to 6 feet.. with a non circular wall.. as in.. give it a little nook and let the field have a little deviation from the standard round outfield.. the outfield wall that isnt completely normal gives a park a little extra flavor..

Nasty_Boy
08-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Brandon Phillips may never hit another HR.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
why not? unless we put a 60 foot high wall in left field....

BLEEDS
08-27-2008, 03:37 PM
It definitely would help. Ask Aaron Harang:

Harang pitches ideas to fix up the ballpark

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

HOUSTON Aaron Harang is not an architect, although he took a drafting class in the eighth grade and his parents have designs he did of a three-bedroom, two-bathroom house.

Harang is willing to take his ideas no charge to Cincinnati Reds owner Bob Castellini on how to eliminate cheap home runs in Great American Ball Park.

"What they should do is remove two rows of seats in the right-field stands and raise the wall to the same height as it is in left field (12 feet)," Harang said. "That would eliminate line-drive home runs that barely clear the wall (8 feet) and end up in the first row.

"And they should raise the wall to the same height in center to eliminate home runs that barely clear the wall and land in the grass," he added.

"They should put wind screens up in that gap in the stands between home plate and third base that causes a jet stream to right and center," Harang added.

"I'm not *****ing about this because of my record (4-13), but I know that would save our pitchers 20 home runs a year and at least 30 runs," he said. "How many line drives barely clear that wall in right, and how many balls barely clear the center-field wall and drop into that grass? I know I've given up a few."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsnotes.html

It would definitely help our Pitching Staff, and Bruce and Votto aren't really guys who hit "cheap home runs".
BP on the other hand - :eek: but of course he doesn't hit too many to RF.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

HeatherC1212
08-27-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm with Aaron Harang on this one. Let's fix those walls and at least try to make GABP a little less homer friendly. What can it hurt?! :eek:

redsbuckeye
08-27-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm with Aaron Harang on this one. Let's fix those walls and at least try to make GABP a little less homer friendly. What can it hurt?! :eek:

Is a park being homer friendly really a bad thing? Is a park being completely pitching dominated really a bad thing?

Everyone has to play in the same conditions in a particular game, I don't see the point in changing something just because there's a perceived imbalance between offense and pitching.

What might help the Reds pitching now might hurt the Reds offense in 10 years.

steig
08-27-2008, 09:13 PM
I think putting the wind screens up to eliminate the wind jet would be suffice. Raising the walls also may hurt this phenomenally great offense and just cause us to loose 2-0 a lot. But I think the wind screens can help eliminate some of the cheap home runs that get significantly wind aided.

Redlegs
08-27-2008, 11:04 PM
I like the right field wall. The ballpark experience in left field does not compare to that in right if you're sitting in the first couple rows.

ChatterRed
08-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Raise the wall even taller, paint it red and call it....."THE RED MONSTER". ;)

gilpdawg
08-28-2008, 10:24 PM
It's a stupid argument. If you raise the walls, you help the opposition's pitching too. The opposition's pitching is usually better than ours anyway, why give them any extra help? I do think the wind screen in the gap is a good idea however, because it will make the park play more fairly for both sides and remove some of the "luck" factor. I don't like cheap homers no matter which team hits them. That's why I hate that park in Houston.

Orodle
08-29-2008, 02:08 PM
if you raise the walls you have to reconstruct that whole area.....not much of a chance of that happening

gedred69
08-30-2008, 03:25 PM
To me, the park was a bum design from the get-go. Marge was the one that insisted it be on the River, and in my opinion that wasn't the best location. Old Riverfront had a reputation of being HR friendly as well. Whether it's the altitude, humidity, air movement, or gremlins, (vs. Angels in the Outfield), The ball seems to carry on the riverfront. Not to mention the access issues, parking, and the fact that the money-spending public is largely in the out-lying communities in Butler, Warren, Clermont Counties in Ohio, and Boone, Campbell, Kenton Counties in N. Ky., locating the park in one of those areas would have provided for a much better thought out design, as well as easier access to more fans.