PDA

View Full Version : The goal for 2009 should be: build defense, and build a bench

LouisvilleCARDS
08-26-2008, 09:15 PM
People talk about putting all kinds of money trying to get a big name free agent (which we're not going to outbid the big market teams for.) At this point I hope that mangement sets goals for next year based on building a remotely decent bench and getting players who can actually play defense effectively. I rather sink millions in 4 or 5 solid players, rather than having guys like Patterson, Andy Phillips, and Javier Valentine on the bench. It's pretty disturbing how horrible our "reserve" players have been, and how often they've started. Our defense speaks for itself. Forget the Sabathia pipe dream, next year a focus should be on depth and defensive depth.

CySeymour
08-26-2008, 11:03 PM
A bench? Better worry about the starting lineup first.

redsfanmia
08-27-2008, 08:19 AM
I agree, the Reds have a solid starting rotation and getting a legitimate center fielder and a true major league short stop would make them that much better.

kpresidente
08-27-2008, 08:54 AM
I disagree. Guys like Patterson, Valentin and Phillips won't be around next season because guys like Freel, Hopper, and Gonzalez won't be on the DL.

Besides, we're just not going to spend $20-25 million on bench players. I don't even know if that's possible.

CySeymour
08-27-2008, 09:21 AM
I disagree. Guys like Patterson, Valentin and Phillips won't be around next season because guys like Freel, Hopper, and Gonzalez won't be on the DL.

Besides, we're just not going to spend $20-25 million on bench players. I don't even know if that's possible.

You're right. And looking at his track record in St. Louis, he was able to bring in 1 year bench guys to perform decently. Of cousre, he Larussa instead of Dusty, but I digress..

Farnsie
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Been a member a little while but I guess this'll be my first post. Speaking of defense and money for bench players there's one thing I like the Reds to do. keep Hanigan in the lineup! I'm watching the game right now and I'm very impressed with his defense, he's sharp, agile and seems to be very one the edge (in a good way). I'm not saying they should look into the catcher position if there's a possibility but I'd rather see them going for some depth in the outfield or a new SS (Richar?). My point is, keep Hanigan, atleast as a backup.

Kingspoint
09-09-2008, 09:47 PM
It would be nice to have a Plan B that involves excellent defense at shortstop if Gonzalez doesn't work out. I don't want April 1st to come around and the Defense at shortstop to be in question for the 4th straight season.

NorrisHopper30
09-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Speed speed speed!

Ghosts of 1990
09-10-2008, 07:25 AM
.500 finish would be nice. And who knows.... if a few things go right and guys blow up (young players) we could have a year like TB did this season.

ChatterRed
09-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Been a member a little while but I guess this'll be my first post. Speaking of defense and money for bench players there's one thing I like the Reds to do. keep Hanigan in the lineup! I'm watching the game right now and I'm very impressed with his defense, he's sharp, agile and seems to be very one the edge (in a good way). I'm not saying they should look into the catcher position if there's a possibility but I'd rather see them going for some depth in the outfield or a new SS (Richar?). My point is, keep Hanigan, atleast as a backup.

I agree that Hanigan is as good, if not better an option at catcher, than anything available in free agency or by trade.