PDA

View Full Version : Rockies put both Fuentes & Tavares on waivers....

_Sir_Charles_
08-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Now here's two guys that would draw some interest from me if I ran the Reds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3554807

johngalt
08-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Willy Taveras and his career OBP of .332 and slugging percentage of .343 - playing in two obvious hitters' parks no less - does nothing for me.

Sure he steals a lot of bases, but even Dickerson can put up better numbers than that and still steal his share of bases and cover ground in center.

RedsManRick
08-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Fuentes isn't going anywhere unless there's a nice return coming back for him. He's been flat out dominant.

_Sir_Charles_
08-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Taveras really struggled as a hitter in Houston. He has made steady improvement since then. He's a fantastic bunter, he's a great defensive CF'er, he's a terror on the basepaths (low CS% too). For a team looking for a CF'er and leadoff hitter most of the year...he's a pretty damned good option IMO.

I truthfully think Dickerson is earning that job, but Taveras would be a pretty nice 2nd option. I'd certainly prefer him over Patterson, Freel, Cabrera or the fragile Hairston Jr.

*BaseClogger*
08-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Taveras really struggled as a hitter in Houston. He has made steady improvement since then. He's a fantastic bunter, he's a great defensive CF'er, he's a terror on the basepaths (low CS% too). For a team looking for a CF'er and leadoff hitter most of the year...he's a pretty damned good option IMO.

I truthfully think Dickerson is earning that job, but Taveras would be a pretty nice 2nd option. I'd certainly prefer him over Patterson, Freel, Cabrera or the fragile Hairston Jr.

But at what cost? That is always the key...

camisadelgolf
08-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Fuentes is having the best year of his career, and he was an All-Star from 2005-7. He certainly won't be given away.

Willy Taveras would be a dream acquisition for Dusty Baker (doesn't walk, has speed, likes to bunt, plays center field, speaks Spanish), and that tells me the Reds should stay far away from him. His current .618 OPS in a hitter's park only reaffirms that.

schroomytunes
08-27-2008, 01:48 AM
yeah i"d like to think that Dickerson over 160 games can post better numbers than Tavares

Spring~Fields
08-27-2008, 02:09 AM
Fuentes isn't going anywhere unless there's a nice return coming back for him. He's been flat out dominant.

I saw him on the FA list, why give up anything for him? Won't Jocketty and other's try to sign him in the off season?

camisadelgolf
08-27-2008, 02:41 AM
I saw him on the FA list, why give up anything for him? Won't Jocketty and other's try to sign him in the off season?

Yeah, there's no reason for the Reds to try to acquire him this year. The Rockies are just hoping they can trade him for prospects to a playoff contender, and if no one who they like is offered, they'll just try to re-sign him or take the draft pick compensation.

PuffyPig
08-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Now here's two guys that would draw some interest from me if I ran the Reds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3554807

I'm confused as to why 4 weeks of any player would interest you.

I believe we are no longer a contender.

The Reds would have zero interest in trading for these guys.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm confused as to why 4 weeks of any player would interest you.

I believe we are no longer a contender.

The Reds would have zero interest in trading for these guys.

Taveras is a restricted free agent, so if the Reds wanted him for next year, they could target him now. Fuentes, however, would be as good as gone after the year, and only a playoff contender should have interest.

NJReds
08-27-2008, 08:48 AM
If the Reds put Cordero on waivers, I don't see how a deal with the Mets couldn't be worked out. They need to fix their bullpen quickly.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2008, 09:12 AM
If the Reds put Cordero on waivers, I don't see how a deal with the Mets couldn't be worked out. They need to fix their bullpen quickly.

I can tell you how. Cordero has a full no-trade clause for the first two years of the contract. ;)

BRM
08-27-2008, 09:33 AM
The Willy Taveras of 2007 was a good option for leadoff. The Willy Taveras of 2005, 2006, and 2008 is clearly not.

NJReds
08-27-2008, 09:37 AM
I can tell you how. Cordero has a full no-trade clause for the first two years of the contract. ;)

So I take it that means that he's not allowed to be put on waivers? I wonder if he'd approve a deal to a contender?

Tom Servo
08-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Fuentes would make no sense as he's going to be a free agent, and Taveras would only be if he improved his OBP or Walt was able to get him for a song and flip him for something better.

PuffyPig
08-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Taveras is a restricted free agent, so if the Reds wanted him for next year, they could target him now. Fuentes, however, would be as good as gone after the year, and only a playoff contender should have interest.

The concept of "restricted FA" is unknown in baseball.

mth123
08-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Fuentes would make no sense as he's going to be a free agent, and Taveras would only be if he improved his OBP or Walt was able to get him for a song and flip him for something better.

Trade for Fuentes to save the pen, offer arb and pick-up 2 draft picks.

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2008, 06:13 PM

I had the same thought but the Rockies would probably demand two top prospects which would make it pointless from the Reds standpoint, IMO.

PuffyPig
08-27-2008, 06:38 PM

Somehow I gotta think that the Rockies understand this concept and will ask for more value in retrun than two draft picks.

Teams out of the playoff race don't trade for rental players. They trade rental players.

mth123
08-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Somehow I gotta think that the Rockies understand this concept and will ask for more value in retrun than two draft picks.

Teams out of the playoff race don't trade for rental players. They trade rental players.

Probably true. If I were the Rockies I'd keep them and make a run. The Dodgers are fading and the Rockies are streaking. If the D'Backs stub their toe, the Rockies could still sneak in IMO.