PDA

View Full Version : Ramon Ramirez to start Saturday in place of Cueto?

OnBaseMachine
08-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Reds notebook
Ramirez likely to be Saturday's fill-in starter

By John Fay • jfay@enquirer.com • August 28, 2008

HOUSTON - The Reds are still listing Saturday's starter as TBA. They need someone to fill in for Johnny Cueto, who will miss a start with a strained elbow.

There's a good chance it will be Ramon Ramirez, a 25-year-old right-hander who is 4-5 with a 3.08 ERA for Triple-A Louisville. Ramirez is on the Reds' 40-man roster.

He went 11-3 with a 3.70 ERA last season.

Adam Pettyjohn, the top starter at Louisville, pitched Tuesday, so he would not be available Saturday.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/SPT04/808280404/1071

BRM
08-28-2008, 12:05 PM
It would be his big league debut, right?

OnBaseMachine
08-28-2008, 12:08 PM
This is a fine choice. I've been hoping to see Ramirez get a chance. This year he's thrown 145.1 innings between Chattanooga and Louisville and has posted a 3.59 ERA, with only 117 hits allowed and a 57 BB/145 K ratio. His last 10 starts in Louisville have terrific as he has posted a 1.97 ERA and 23 BB/60 K mark in those 10 starts spanning 64 innings. In the past he has been a reliever and starter but the majority of his appearances this year has been via starting. His fastball can touch 95 but sits around 93/94 and his changeup is a very good and he also mixes in a solid breaking ball.

I'm interested in seeing how he fares. I've always liked him best as a reliever but he could make it as a solid back end starter.

OnBaseMachine
08-28-2008, 12:08 PM
It would be his big league debut, right?

Yep. There is another Ramon Ramirez currently pitching in the majors so I'm sure they'll get mixed up a lot.

Superdude
08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm just glad it's not Pettyjohn. I was hoping it'd be Ramirez.

BRM
08-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm just glad it's not Pettyjohn. I was hoping it'd be Ramirez.

But Pettyjohn is a winner...

camisadelgolf
08-28-2008, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't completely rule out Daryl Thompson coming back, whose next scheduled start is Saturday. But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Ramirez.

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
What makes Pettyjohn the top starter in Louisville? His high ERA, high WHIP, lack of stuff or what?

OnBaseMachine
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't completely rule out Daryl Thompson coming back, whose next scheduled start is Saturday. But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Ramirez.

Thompson is struggling on rehab. He doesn't need to be pitching in the majors anymore this season IMO.

BRM
08-28-2008, 12:17 PM
What makes Pettyjohn the top starter in Louisville? His high ERA, high WHIP, lack of stuff or what?

His 14 wins.

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 12:20 PM
His 14 wins.

Ah, well that clinches it. Wins, the ultimate measure of a good pitcher.

BRM
08-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Ah, well that clinches it. Wins, the ultimate measure of a good pitcher.

Now you're getting it. ;)

dougdirt
08-28-2008, 12:22 PM

I guess when something clicks, it just clicks :beerme:

klw
08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
If they want a rested arm, I haven't pitched competatively since 1988 so I my arm is fresh and I have no plans for Saturday. Plus if they have me throw 158 pitches and burn out my arm it is no skin off their teeth. Ramirez is on the 40 man roster so that gives him the edge over both me and Pettyjohn. When is Livingston schedule to throw next? He would be the other option on the 40 man roster.

lollipopcurve
08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Good choice. Maybe Lecure could take Ramirez's spot in Louisville.

corkedbat
08-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Obviously, if Pettyjohn is winning with a high ERA & a high WHIP then the offense must be scoring more runs when he pitches. The Reds need to score more runs, so let him pitch and they will - simple. :evil:

alexad
08-28-2008, 05:17 PM
I had a chance to see him pitch this year in Columbus. He has some stuff, but a very herky jerky approach to the plate.

RedLegSuperStar
08-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Pettyjohn is so Dumatrait.

Danny Serafini
08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Ramirez is now official according to the team press notes.

Highlifeman21
08-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Ramirez is now official according to the team press notes.

Hopefully he remembers to cover 1B better than Thompson did during his debut.

RedsManRick
08-29-2008, 03:30 PM
With just one open spot in next year's rotation (barring a trade), and a slew of contenders including Bailey, Thompson, Ramirez, Maloney, possibly Livingston on the prospect side, you have to believe Jocketty is going to be active in the trade market. I'm excited to see what he does with this crew of guys who won't all fit and whose blooms will fade if they wallow away in AAA for the next 2-3 years.

Matt700wlw
08-29-2008, 03:31 PM
It's Ramirez.

I don't have the Reds email in front of me, but they confirmed it.

CTA513
08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I was hoping I would get called up for the start.

:thumbdown

SMcGavin
08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Saw Ramirez pitch last season and have been following him since, his numbers have really been pretty good. Maybe a guy who could stick in the bullpen as a long man.

Chip R
08-29-2008, 06:09 PM
I was hoping I would get called up for the start.

:thumbdown

Better luck next time.

mth123
08-30-2008, 07:11 AM
So, who goes to make room for Ramirez? Rosters don't expand until Monday. I'm still hopingthe Reds can pick-up more minor league talent by dealing some one before the 8-31 deadline. Perhaps a deal today to make room for Ramirez? Affeldt, Weathers and Fogg are probably still in varying states of demand. After Fogg's good outing this week, maybe he goes and Cueto comes back in his rotation spot. Probably wouldn't get as much for Fogg as Weathers or Affeldt may bring.

camisadelgolf
08-30-2008, 07:28 AM
I think it's time for Gary Majewski to get another taste of the minors. Over his last eight appearances, his ERA has gone from 3.45 to 5.60. He has allowed 17 hits and 11 earned runs over his past 7.2 innings.

fearofpopvol1
08-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Granted it was against a weak team, but I thought he looked pretty good for a debut. I did not love his fastball, but I thought his changeup was very good. He did throw strikes and kept the ball off the middle of the plate. I like his motion/delivery too. After the 2nd inning, he was nearly untouchable.

Final line...7IP, 3ER, 5H, 6K, 2BB

I don't know that he's great or anything, but he sure looked like a better option than Fogg or Bailey.

OnBaseMachine
08-30-2008, 09:28 PM
This was a solid start by Ramirez. He could be a decent 4th/5th starter but I like him more out of the bullpen where I think he could be a very good middle reliever.

Degenerate39
08-30-2008, 10:51 PM
I think it's time for Gary Majewski to get another taste of the minors. Over his last eight appearances, his ERA has gone from 3.45 to 5.60. He has allowed 17 hits and 11 earned runs over his past 7.2 innings.

I think it's time for Majewski to go home.

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2008, 01:25 AM
Another good change-up artist

By Hal McCoy | Saturday, August 30, 2008, 11:04 PM
Latest comment

Looks as if the Reds have another functional arm that knows how to throw change-ups that keep hitters off stride.

OK, OK, so it was the San Francisco Giants, the NL West version of the Cincinnati Reds. They have nearly identical records.

But 24-year-old rookie Ramon Ramirez was impressive - after his fifth pitch of the game to San Francisco leadoff hitter Randy Winn went spiraling into the stands for a leadoff home run.

Over seven innings, Ramirez gave up three runs and five hits, walked two and struck out six.

He is another Edinson Volquez and/or Johnny Cueto - except he is from Venezuela, not the Dominican Republic. And while Volquez and Cueto get their fastballs giddy-upping at 95 and 96, Ramirez only touches 91-92.

But he had the Giants swinging at the breeze.

He left with a 6-3 lead after seven, and said he could have gone eight, but manager Dusty Baker thought 98 pitches was enough and wanted him to leave on a positive note.

Bill Bray then gave up three straight hits, including Winn’s second homer of the game. Mike Lincoln came in and blew the save, giving up the tying run on Aaron Rowand’s home run.

And here’s one baseball rule that stinks like a dead skunk in the middle of the road. Lincoln blew the save, gave up the tying run. Yet when the Reds scored in the bottom of the eighth, that made Lincoln the winning pitcher. How bad does that smell? Rotten as Denmark, as they say - although I hear Denmark is a nice place to visit.

Anyway, the Ramirez kid looked good and deserves another shot. But if Johnny Cueto is ready by the time Friday rolls around, Ramirez will be back in Louisville trying to help the Bats win the playoffs.

Here’s what Ramirez said of his major-league debut:

Of his first batter hitting a home run: “I was feeling nervous and I was trying to calm down and make adjustments after that.

“I tried to relax and think about the way I was pitching in Louisville,” he added. And of his first taste of the majors, he added, “It was the best thing ever.”

At least we think that’s what he said. Like Cueto, he doesn’t speak English and his words were interpreted to us by Juan “Porky” Lopez.

I remember when Fernando Valenzuela first joined the Dodgers from Mexico and spoke no English. He would be asked a question and his answer would go on and on, like: Da-da-da-da. Da-da-da-da-da. Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-day.”

And the interpreter would say, “He said, ‘I felt good.” Oh-kay. I took two years of Spanish in college, cut too many classes, so I have only myself to blame for needing an interpreter.

So what did Baker think of Ramirez?

“It was a very good seven innings, one of the better seven innings from somebody we called up and it might be the best,” Baker added. “He was calm and cool and you could tell he is a good athlete. He gave us what we needed.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Spring~Fields
08-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Today the Reds recalled from Class AAA Louisville C/IF/OF Wilkin Castillo (#26) and optioned to Class A Sarasota RHP Ramon Ramirez.

Castillo, 24, was acquired on 8/14 as a PTBNL in the 8/11 trade that sent OF Adam Dunn to Ari…in 115g at Class AAA Tucson and Louisville he combined to hit .248 and appeared in 54g at C, 5g at 2B, 48g at 3B, 6g at SS and 8g in LF...when he plays will be making his Major League debut.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a4a4b33ed-90b6-4b0d-85f8-77bcf2e4824d&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2008, 11:01 AM
I believe by sending Ramirez to Sarasota that allows them to call him up in just a couple of days instead of having to wait 10 days.

mth123
08-31-2008, 11:10 AM
4 Catchers!!!! Somewhere Jerry Narron and Wayne Krivsky have tears in their eyes.

kaldaniels
09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
A few posts back brought this idea up...

What would be the drawback to not award the win to a pitcher who also blew the save, but give the win still to the original pitcher on the hook...i.e. in this case, R Ramirez.