PDA

View Full Version : Just some random thoughts...

GADawg
08-30-2008, 05:17 PM
does it irritate any of the rest of you that Adam Dunn is being billed as some kind of godsend for the D-Backs whereas when he was a Red no broadcaster or writer could say anything positive about him without including the word "but". All of a sudden I'm not hearing constantly about the K's or perceived lack of enthusiam.

speaking of being irritated...yes I realize I get irritated easily(i am a frustrated reds fans you understand)....for those of you who listen to MLB on XM why is that the Yanks and Sox(red ones)have a permanent parking spot on channels 176 and 177. If the Reds get it together over the next couple of years will they finally get off the high 180's? When the Pirates come to town will XM even have a channel high enough to cover the game?

more rambling....I quit watching the Reds for a week or so out of frustration but now I find that I'm really enjoying the games again as there is some kind of comfort in not really caring about the outcome so much as just watching Dickerson, Votto, Volquez, and Phillips(with his glove on). Does Dickerson look just like Bernie Williams at the plate and running the bases or is it just me?

More irritation you say? How about the fact that there is no "R" in Jocketty. Maybe I'm imagining it but I'm hearing the work "Jockertty" a little too often. Someone got a little sensitive here the last time I picked on one of our broadcasters so I won't mention George's name this time.

Finally while watching the game the other night my wife commented on the fact that the Reds had alot of players coming and going that she hadn't heard me mention before and I started thinking that'd it would be a fun game for us here to try to guess what the starting lineup will look like on September 1, 2009. If you don't want to get that specific we could just guess at how many position players will be out there with uni #'s higher that 60!

Wow, I feel better.

remdog
08-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Re: Dunn and the D'backs: I've watched a fair amount of D'backs games since he came over (my timezone helps plus the Dodgers are trying to catch them). Listening to the D'backs announcers (anyone else find Mark Grace annoying?) it seems that they are 'pro' Adam Dunn because they are thrilled to have the power and OBP that he brings to the team. The rest of the baggage they can ignore.

Whether or not that would remain the same over a full season and if they were 20+ games out of first is anybody's guess.

Rem

Highlifeman21
08-30-2008, 08:03 PM
I would rather listen to Joe Morgan call a game than Mark Grace.

And I can't stand Joe Morgan.

flyer85
08-30-2008, 08:06 PM
does it irritate any of the rest of you that Adam Dunn is being billed as some kind of godsend for the D-Backs whereas when he was a Red no broadcaster or writer could say anything positive about him without including the word "but". All of a sudden I'm not hearing constantly about the K's or perceived lack of enthusiam.

People wanted him to be Albert Pujols ... and he was never going to live up to that. I am not irritated, I am glad for him that he is now with a fanbase and a set of broadcasters who will appreciate him for what he is rather that dislike him for what he is not.

BTW, with the fans out there it seems to be bit of a love affair. All kinds of signs and suggestions for a nickname ... gosh they actually like the "Big Donkey".

remdog
08-31-2008, 08:23 AM
This pretty much sums up what I was talking about above:

"Entering Saturday's game with Los Angeles, Dunn was hitting .291 with two home runs and 11 RBI in 16 games with Arizona. He had walked 20 times, giving him an on-base percentage of an amazing .493, and scored 10 runs.

Manager Bob Melvin said Dunn is taking the pressure off other players by taking pitchers deep into the count and getting on base."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080831/SPT04/808310398/1078/COL02

Rem