PDA

View Full Version : Wilkin Castillo up...

Matt700wlw
08-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Today the Reds recalled from Class AAA Louisville C/IF/OF Wilkin Castillo (#26) and optioned to Class A Sarasota RHP Ramon Ramirez.

Castillo, 24, was acquired on 8/14 as a PTBNL in the 8/11 trade that sent OF Adam Dunn to Ari…in 115g at Class AAA Tucson and Louisville he combined to hit .248 and appeared in 54g at C, 5g at 2B, 48g at 3B, 6g at SS and 8g in LF...when he plays will be making his Major League debut.

Degenerate39
08-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Castillo, Bako, Hanigan, Votto, and Valetine. At one time or another one of these players was a catcher or still is. I really hope this team is getting rid of Bako soon. Just keep Javy as a pinch hitter/1st baseman and what not.

Tornon
08-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Does the fact that Ramirez was optioned to A instead of AAA to help out in the playoffs mean we will be seeing him back very shortly?

Highlifeman21
08-31-2008, 11:40 AM
I guess we need that extra position player before tomorrow when the rosters expand?

Spring~Fields
08-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Wilkin Castillo
Bats: Both, Throws: Right
Height: 6'0", Weight: 170 lbs
Born: June 1, 1984

TCN PCL AAA ARI
POS G
C 51
3B 41
LF 7
SS 6
2B 4

2008 24 LOU INT AAA CIN
POS G
3B 7
C 3
2B 1
LF 1

LOU INT AAA CIN .190 .209 .190 .399
TCN PCL AAA ARI .254 .305 .358 .663

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=2478

Tom Servo
08-31-2008, 12:10 PM
I guess we need that extra position player before tomorrow when the rosters expand?
Castillo needs to get the first game of sitting on the bench under his belt so he can be prepared for sitting on the bench for the rest of September.

lollipopcurve
08-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Castillo needs to get the first game of sitting on the bench under his belt so he can be prepared for sitting on the bench for the rest of September.
:D

love it

Big Klu
08-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Does the fact that Ramirez was optioned to A instead of AAA to help out in the playoffs mean we will be seeing him back very shortly?

Yes. A player who is sent down has to stay down for 10 days, unless the minor-league club's season ends before that time period. Today is Sarasota's last game of the season, so Ramirez can be recalled tomorrow. My guess is that he is on Sarasota's roster in name only, and he is still in Cincinnati.

corkedbat
08-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Guess they wanted to make sure Castillo was eligible for the playoffs.

PuffyPig
08-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Guess they wanted to make sure Castillo was eligible for the playoffs.

I guess they wanted Castillo for this game more than a pitcher who couldn't pitch today.

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Wilkin Castillo is not a household name, but manager Dusty Baker thinks of him as several kitchen utensils rolled into one.

Castillo is a catcher by name, but also plays first baseball, second base, shortstop, third base, left field and right field — and wouldn’t it be easier to say he plays everything but pitcher and center field?

“He’s Eli Marrero, that’s who he is,” said Baker. Marrero played 10 years in the majors, mostly with the St. Louis Cardinals, and was a catcher/first baseman/outfielder.

Castillo, 24, was called up Sunday from Class AAA Louisville, where he has been since the Reds acquired him in the August 14 trade of Adam Dunn to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

He combined to hit .248 at Class AAA Tucson and Louisville, but the big thing is that he caught 54 games, played 48 games at third, five games at second, six games at shorstop and eight games in left field.

“I had to have another player because I played a man short yesterday (Saturday) and I didn’t want to be another man short today (Sunday), especially for the outfield,” said Baker. “I was short Saturday.” To make room, pitcher Ramon Rameriz, who was outstanding in his major-league debut Saturday, was optioned to Class A Sarasota.

It it a procedural move, a paper shuffle. Ramirez didn’t actually go to Sarasota. The SaraReds season is over and Ramirez will return to the Reds roster Tuesday when it can be expanded from 25 to as many as 40.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

redsmetz
08-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Castillo, Bako, Hanigan, Votto, and Valetine. At one time or another one of these players was a catcher or still is. I really hope this team is getting rid of Bako soon. Just keep Javy as a pinch hitter/1st baseman and what not.

I know folks keep pointing this out, but can we make an effort to get Valentin's name correct? It will be great to say he's no longer with the team, but he's not Valentine (who never wants played catcher, but was an erstwhile pitcher). Valentin.

WVRedsFan
08-31-2008, 02:09 PM

No. out with Valentin, too. He is a total waste of bench space. And he's not a very good pinch hitter. I doubt we'll see him back anyway.

remdog
08-31-2008, 02:32 PM
I know folks keep pointing this out, but can we make an effort to get Valentin's name correct? It will be great to say he's no longer with the team, but he's not Valentine (who never wants played catcher, but was an erstwhile pitcher). Valentin.

Ah, there's one of life's little bites on the butt. :lol: Complain about spelling but use the wrong word in the complaint. ('wants' in place of 'once') :p:

Rem

Degenerate39
08-31-2008, 02:45 PM
No. out with Valentin, too. He is a total waste of bench space. And he's not a very good pinch hitter. I doubt we'll see him back anyway.

That'll work too. I'd just assume bet rid of both. Maybe one of the young guys can finally get some at bats.

redsmetz
08-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Ah, there's one of life's little bites on the butt. :lol: Complain about spelling but use the wrong word in the complaint. ('wants' in place of 'once') :p:

Rem

Touche - guilty as charged.

Spring~Fields
08-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Touche - guilty as charged.

No big deal, I do it all the time, I have an on base percentage of Patterson and Bako when it comes to writing. ;) I've been spelling Valentin wrong all year, you were right.

WVRedsFan
08-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Wilkin Castillo is not a household name, but manager Dusty Baker thinks of him as several kitchen utensils rolled into one.

Castillo is a catcher by name, but also plays first baseball, second base, shortstop, third base, left field and right field — and wouldn’t it be easier to say he plays everything but pitcher and center field?

“He’s Eli Marrero, that’s who he is,” said Baker. Marrero played 10 years in the majors, mostly with the St. Louis Cardinals, and was a catcher/first baseman/outfielder.

Castillo, 24, was called up Sunday from Class AAA Louisville, where he has been since the Reds acquired him in the August 14 trade of Adam Dunn to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

He combined to hit .248 at Class AAA Tucson and Louisville, but the big thing is that he caught 54 games, played 48 games at third, five games at second, six games at shorstop and eight games in left field.

“I had to have another player because I played a man short yesterday (Saturday) and I didn’t want to be another man short today (Sunday), especially for the outfield,” said Baker. “I was short Saturday.” To make room, pitcher Ramon Rameriz, who was outstanding in his major-league debut Saturday, was optioned to Class A Sarasota.

It it a procedural move, a paper shuffle. Ramirez didn’t actually go to Sarasota. The SaraReds season is over and Ramirez will return to the Reds roster Tuesday when it can be expanded from 25 to as many as 40.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

How many of these do we have? Let's see...Valentin, Keppinger, Hairston, Freel, etc. Just strange thinking. Pretty soon we'll have a roster of no significant hitting, poor fielding guys who can play four positions. Love it.

RedsManRick
08-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Let's see... Ramon Martinez, Neifi Perez, Jose Macias, Jerry Hairston... Dusty has a long standing love of guys who can play everywhere poorly. And Dusty claims this isn't his team?

OldXOhio
08-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Let's see... Ramon Martinez, Neifi Perez, Jose Macias, Jerry Hairston... Dusty has a long standing love of guys who can play everywhere poorly. And Dusty claims this isn't his team?

Hasn't Corey Patterson played somewhere else besides CF in his illustrious career. Somehow, someway, CP must enter this discussion when using the above phrases.

OnBaseMachine
09-04-2008, 09:12 PM
A cameo appearance

Outfielder Wilkin Castillo made his first major-league start Thursday — and possibly one of his last this year.

With 19 of the last 22 games scheduled against teams still in contention, manager Dusty Baker plans to put his best feet forward in those games.

"With the teams we're playing, he probably won't get a start against the Cubs, Milwaukee, Arizona and St. Louis," said Baker. "Probably won't be until we get to Houston and it looks as if they're still trying to stay in it."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/09/04/ddn090508spredsnotesweb.html

*BaseClogger*
09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
A cameo appearance

Outfielder Wilkin Castillo made his first major-league start Thursday — and possibly one of his last this year.

With 19 of the last 22 games scheduled against teams still in contention, manager Dusty Baker plans to put his best feet forward in those games.

"With the teams we're playing, he probably won't get a start against the Cubs, Milwaukee, Arizona and St. Louis," said Baker. "Probably won't be until we get to Houston and it looks as if they're still trying to stay in it."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/09/04/ddn090508spredsnotesweb.html

We definitely won't see Patterson again, right? :rolleyes:

Spring~Fields
09-04-2008, 11:08 PM
A cameo appearance

Good to see the Cincinnati brain trust working overtime. :)

lollipopcurve
09-05-2008, 07:17 AM
A cameo appearance

This ain't no forest, it's trees!!!

Ltlabner
09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
A cameo appearance

Oh dear God.

And some people wonder why some of us rail against Dusty.

Moronic.

Unassisted
09-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh dear God.

And some people wonder why some of us rail against Dusty.

Moronic.MLB takes a dim view of non-contending clubs that don't put their best lineup on the field when playing teams in the pennant race. I don't hold this against Dusty. There are some unwritten rules that are larger than him.

Ltlabner
09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
MLB takes a dim view of non-contending clubs that don't put their best lineup on the field when playing teams in the pennant race. I don't hold this against Dusty. There are some unwritten rules that are larger than him.

Huh? Never heard of this. Not saying it isn't true, just that I haven't heard of it.

And how does MLB excactly judge the "best lineup"? Who's to say young Castilo doesn't go all nuts for a couple of weeks which would be better than running Patterson out there day after day?

Unassisted
09-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Huh? Never heard of this. Not saying it isn't true, just that I haven't heard of it.

And how does MLB excactly judge the "best lineup"? Who's to say young Castilo doesn't go all nuts for a couple of weeks which would be better than running Patterson out there day after day?Think about it.

Without looking up the details of who's actually playing the Reds, let's assume you're the manager of a club trailing its division leader by 1 game. If your division leader plays the Reds, wouldn't you be steamed if the Reds send out a lineup comprised mostly of guys who spent the bulk of 2008 in AAA and sit healthy players who spent the season with the Reds? That would give your division leader an easier shot at winning, while your team is in for a battle with a contender or a club whose continues to play its usual starters.

It just makes other clubhouses happier when non-contenders who play contenders send out a lineup of major leaguers in September. Dusty has been on the other end of that, so he's more sensitive to that type of criticism.

Ltlabner
09-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Think about it.

Without looking up the details of who's actually playing the Reds, let's assume you're the manager of a club trailing its division leader by 1 game. If your division leader plays the Reds, wouldn't you be steamed if the Reds send out a lineup comprised mostly of guys who spent the bulk of 2008 in AAA and sit healthy players who spent the season with the Reds? That would give your division leader an easier shot at winning, while your team is in for a battle with a contender or a club whose continues to play its usual starters.

You mean sit those healthy players who've been with the Reds all year like Corey Patterson, Paul Bako, Javy V, Jolbert Cabrara?

Have you been watching any games this year?

Running out a few AAA guys isn't going to change the level of competition one iota. I can make a pretty good case it would be more competition to sit Patterson, rather than less.

Besides, I could give a rusty rats about making it a "fair fight" for the Brewers and Cubs.

cumberlandreds
09-05-2008, 10:07 AM
MLB takes a dim view of non-contending clubs that don't put their best lineup on the field when playing teams in the pennant race. I don't hold this against Dusty. There are some unwritten rules that are larger than him.

IMO, putting Patterson in the lineup is not putting your best out there. But someone for the Reds think it is.

lollipopcurve
09-05-2008, 10:11 AM
IMO, putting Patterson in the lineup is not putting your best out there. But someone for the Reds think it is.

Just like someone thought it was a good idea to pitch Josh Fogg instead of Ramon Ramirez here in September.

Unassisted
09-05-2008, 10:14 AM
You mean sit those healthy players who've been with the Reds all year like Corey Patterson, Paul Bako, Javy V, Jolbert Cabrara?

Have you been watching any games this year?

Running out a few AAA guys isn't going to change the level of competition one iota. I can make a pretty good case it would be more competition to sit Patterson, rather than less.

Besides, I could give a rusty rats about making it a "fair fight" for the Brewers and Cubs.It's a perception thing. The Reds have a manager who is more concerned about perception than winning. Maybe it's because he knows he won't be in Cincinnati forever and he has an eye toward his next job? Whether he's deluded about what constitutes his best lineup is something we probably won't know for sure until he retires and speaks candidly.

And I haven't watched a Reds game in nearly a month. I don't think I've missed much. ;)

RedsManRick
09-05-2008, 10:15 AM
It's a perception thing. The Reds have a manager who is more concerned about perception than winning. Maybe it's because he knows he won't be in Cincinnati forever and he has an eye toward his next job?

And I haven't watched a Reds game in nearly a month. I don't think I've missed much. ;)

Maybe it's because he doesn't know the difference.

flyer85
09-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I'd say it's simply the Dusty wants to tack every win possible on his managerial record. The Brewers and Cubs are pretty muck locks for the post season at this point.

15fan
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Today the Reds recalled from Class AAA Louisville C/IF/OF Wilkin Castillo (#26)

Instead of listing him as a C/IF/OF, maybe they should label his position as Non-P.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Don't forget about Mike Vale and Eric Valent on the Vale/Valent/Valentin/Valentine continuum.

Highlifeman21
09-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I'd say it's simply The Dusty wants to tack every win possible on his managerial record. The Brewers and Cubs are pretty muck locks for the post season at this point.

Ding ding ding!

He wants to avoid 90 losses at all costs.

Spring~Fields
09-05-2008, 07:15 PM
I'd say it's simply the Dusty wants to tack every win possible on his managerial record. The Brewers and Cubs are pretty muck locks for the post season at this point.

He complained in Chicago about that, he did not want the development type players because he believed that they would lose more games and go against his record.

HokieRed
09-05-2008, 08:04 PM
If the goal is to avoid 90 losses, I think Dusty's going to be disappointed. The goal might be 70 wins.

OnBaseMachine
09-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Wilkin Castillo went 3-for-4 on Monday with an RBI single in the second inning and a run scored. He is 5-for-10 with four runs scored through his first six games. "The young man has a pretty good idea of what he's doing up there," Baker said. "He's going to get another start [Tuesday]. If he keeps playing like that, you can hit your way into the lineup."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080908&content_id=3439647&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

HumnHilghtFreel
09-09-2008, 02:28 AM
"He's going to get another start [Tuesday]. If he keeps playing like that, you can hit your way into the lineup."

That thing must be a one-way street, because some people just can't seem to hit their way out of it.

RedlegJake
09-09-2008, 04:07 AM
That thing must be a one-way street, because some people just can't seem to hit their way out of it.

:beerme:

AmarilloRed
09-10-2008, 12:43 AM
3 for 3 tonight. I would say he is working hard to make the roster next year.

Ltlabner
09-10-2008, 06:59 AM
This guy is reported to play some behind the dish no?

Would it be a completey wild and crazy thought to maybe give him a start or three, in the place of Paul Bako, just to see if *maybe* he's an option next year.

I mean, I know we have 32 different options for catchers next year and all, but would a look-see really hurt?

Oh, I forgot. We need Bako for the integrity of the game.

RedlegJake
09-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I really don't understand why Wilkins doesn't get a game behind the plate. The kid was very good back there in Louisville and reportedly his glove work is his forte, and is best behind the plate. His primary value is catching with the added abilty to play other positions if needed.

Far East
09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Anybody else see a bit of resemblance between Wilkin Castillo's left-handed swing and that of Rod Carew?

In particular, the slight bat waggle prior to the pitch and the relatively low and forward follow through.

Now, if he could only match Carew's numbers!

P.S I was surprised and disappointed to see Dusty on Tuesday pinch hit for him late with the bases loaded and after his going 3 for 3 up to that point. All the manager did was insert another RH bat (Hairston), and with the strong possibility of extra innings looming, use another position player. Even with September callups, the bench was being thinned out.