PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Reds/Yanks rumor

nate
08-31-2008, 12:12 PM
From MLBTR (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/shermans-latest.html):

Some Yankees officials are toying with the idea of trading some of their young pitching if the Yankees do land Sabathia and another veteran such as AJ Burnett. Sherman thinks a player like Phil Hughes could be used to land a young center fielder or first baseman such as Joey Votto of the Reds.

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Hughes for Votto? I like Votto a lot but that's a deal I'd strongly consider.

RedLegSuperStar
08-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Perhaps add in a Matt Moloney, Homer Bailey, or Darryl Thompson and get Melky Cabrera.

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Perhaps add in a Matt Moloney, Homer Bailey, or Darryl Thompson and get Melky Cabrera.

I have no interest in Melky Cabrera. He's awful.

WVRedsFan
08-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Giving up a talent like Votto for an unproven pitcher (has pitched poorly at the MLB level meaning he's got a lot to learn) would only show that the FO does not see the real problem with this club. We have some fine young arms and we'll be OK there. We need offense and plenty of it. What good is it for the staff to allow 3 runs and we only score 2?

PuffyPig
08-31-2008, 01:10 PM
This isn't a rumour as far as the Reds are concerned.

Maybe the yankees are considering trading young pitching for young hitting, but the mention of Votto was as an example of the type of player they would want.

And Bailey or Thompson for melky makes me sick thinking of it. We've seen Melky all year, and thy name was Patterson.

HokieRed
08-31-2008, 03:51 PM
We traded our best player last year for a relatively untried young pitcher. Why not again?

LoganBuck
08-31-2008, 04:07 PM
We traded our best player last year for a relatively untried young pitcher. Why not again?

Because Phil Hughes is essentially Homer Bailey with slightly more command, and more injury risk.

HokieRed
08-31-2008, 04:13 PM
I was being ironic. No way I trade Votto and I remain among the unconvinced that the Josh for Volquez trade was a good one. I love having Volquez but would prefer that WK would have looked for another way to solve the pitching problems.

PuffyPig
08-31-2008, 04:15 PM

I believe the Reds felt (whether rightly or wrongly) that Hamilton was a huge injury risk, they felt Volquez was ready to break out big time, they felt they had offense to deal, and they desparately needed more pitching.

None of these factors appears the same in this scenario.

LoganBuck
08-31-2008, 04:16 PM
My favorite part of the original article is this:

Sherman also wonders if Robinson Cano should be dangled this off-season in an attempt to land a starting pitcher like Zach Greinke, Chad Billingsley or Matt Cain.

What a horrible contract, and the sheer lunacy to suggest that Cano can bring one of those players back.

Tony Cloninger
08-31-2008, 04:45 PM
CC wants to pitch on the west coast and hit......that is what has been said about him. I hope it is true and he blows them off.....Yankees are due for a 1966-72 type run of baseball, the party is over....I hope for a while for them.

buckeyenut
09-01-2008, 07:38 AM
There is something to be said for acquiring as much studly young pitching as possible. I like Votto and am not sure I am ready to give him up, but definitely worth a discussion.

fearofpopvol1
09-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I don't like Hughes as a choice. I think he'll have a better career than Bailey and I think he very well may end up being a good pitcher, but the injuries are a major concern.

_Sir_Charles_
09-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Pass. I think it's pretty clear that this team is headed in the right direction in terms of pitching and that our biggest need is on the offensive side. There's no chance I'd deal off Votto. None.

*BaseClogger*
09-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Too much risk for my blood. I love high upside pitching but at this point the Reds need offense and gloves as much as pitching...

*BaseClogger*
09-01-2008, 04:32 PM
It also looks like Hughes has flyball tendencies, making me believe Jocketty would not be interested...

Reds1
09-01-2008, 05:11 PM
funny thing is in previous years we would do to get trading, but not with the team we need offense. We already have 3-4 potential #5 starters and Votto just might be our top offensive player now or at least right there with phillips if not even better so I have to say no, but is interesting.