PDA

View Full Version : Nuxhall on ballot for Frick Award again

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Nuxhall on ballot for Frick Award again
Fans get to vote earlier for beloved Reds broadcaster
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reds fan passionate about the Ol' Lefthander, Joe Nuxhall, voted with their hearts repeatedly last year in an effort to get him into the broadcast wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

This year, the chance for fans to take another run in support of Nuxhall is coming a little earlier. Balloting for the 2009 Ford C. Frick Award for broadcasting excellence begins on Monday, Sept. 1, with the top three vote-getters by the fans automatically qualifying for the 10-member ballot that will be formulated by a 20-member committee and announced on Oct. 6.

The winner will be announced on Dec. 9 at the Winter Meetings in Las Vegas and will receive the award during the induction ceremony on July 26, 2009, at the Clark Sports Center in Cooperstown, N.Y.

Fans may vote for up to three of their favorites among 210 broadcasters eligible in balloting conducted exclusively on the Hall's Web site, which will carry biographical sketches of each candidate. Fans can vote up to once a day throughout September. Results will be announced when voting concludes on Sept. 30. There will be no updates provided during the voting period.

The Frick award was named for the late broadcaster, National League President, Commissioner and Hall of Famer. Frick was a driving force behind the creation of the Hall of Fame and helped foster the relationship between radio and the game of baseball.

Nuxhall, A's voice Bill King and Hall of Fame second baseman Joe Morgan of ESPN Sunday Night Baseball were the three finalists named to the ballot last year through on-line voting. Easily the top vote-getter, Nuxhall received over 82,000 votes on the more than 122,000 online ballots cast by fans.

Dave Niehaus, the long-time voice of the Seattle Mariners, was the recipient at the 2008 induction in July, which marked the 30th anniversary of the award that was first presented to legendary figures Mel Allen and Red Barber.

The other nominees selected by the 20-member committee were former "Game of the Week" broadcasters Dizzy Dean and Tony Kubek; play-by-play voices Tom Cheek (Toronto Blue Jays), Ken Coleman (Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox), Dave Van Horne (Montreal Expos, Florida Marlins) and broadcasting legend Graham McNamee (NBC), who called 12 World Series beginning in 1923.

Nuxhall's longtime partner, Marty Brennaman, was the Frick Award winner in 2000. For 31 years, beginning in 1974, Nuxhall and Brennaman were a beloved radio tradition for Reds fans around the country who were able to pick up the powerful AM signal of WLW and its affiliates. Together, they called some of the greatest moments in Reds history, including the "Big Red Machine" and its back-to-back World Series championships in 1975-76.

There is no dispute that Nuxhall is a local legend in Cincinnati. His 63-year association with the Reds began in 1944, when the pitcher was the youngest person to ever appear in a Major League game at the age of 15. After he retired as a player, he was a radio voice from 1967-2004, but worked a handful of games over the previous three years before his Nov. 15 death from cancer at the age of 79. This season, to mourn the loss, the Reds have worn a commemorative black patch on their uniform that reads "Nuxy."

After games, Nuxhall hosted the postgame show and he interviewed players from inside the Reds clubhouse. His signature signoff that he was "rounding third and heading for home" is adorned in giant lettering on the outer fašade of Great American Ball Park.

Also eligible again for the Frick Award is Thom Brennaman, Marty's son, who has 21 years in broadcasting and has called games at both the national and local levels. Thom Brennaman joined the Reds crew on TV and radio in 2007, after he spent 11 years with the Diamondbacks and six with the Cubs. He also currently calls national games for the FOX network.

Reds TV broadcasters George Grande and Chris Welsh are completing their 16th season together in 2008. Grande, who anchored the first ESPN SportsCenter, started his play-by-play career with the Yankees from 1989-90 and the Cardinals from 1991-92. Welsh joined the broadcast ranks following a five-year pitching career in the Majors with four clubs, including Cincinnati.

Waite Hoyt is another eligible name and also a big part of the Cincinnati broadcasting fabric. Hoyt spent 25 years calling Reds games from 1942-65 and 1972. After a 20-year Hall of Fame pitching career, he was one of the first players to successfully transition into broadcasting.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080831&content_id=3395332&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

gonelong
09-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Rock the vote? :)

GL

mbgrayson
09-02-2008, 12:21 AM
HERE is the direct link (http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/awards/frick_2008/vote.jsp)to the ballot.

You can only vote once, per browser, every 24 hours. So if you have Internet Explorer and Firefox, or multiple computers, you can vote more....

Vote early and often!

Matt700wlw
09-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Get him in. Baseball needs it. I know he's in heaven right now smiling.......not because he's eligible again, but because he's still Joe Nuxhall.

cumberlandreds
09-02-2008, 08:16 AM
My vote is in.

I don't want to tell anyone how to vote but if you are voting for Nuxhall you should only vote for him. If you vote for others you may lessen his chances if vote for anyone else in addition to him.

Degenerate39
09-02-2008, 08:21 AM
HERE is the direct link (http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/awards/frick_2008/vote.jsp)to the ballot.

You can only vote once, per browser, every 24 hours. So if you have Internet Explorer and Firefox, or multiple computers, you can vote more....

Vote early and often!

How do you change browsers? I'd like to vote at least twice a day for Joe

Ltlabner
09-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I miss Joe Nuxhall.

There, I said it.

Chip R
09-02-2008, 09:55 AM
My vote is in.

I don't want to tell anyone how to vote but if you are voting for Nuxhall you should only vote for him. If you vote for others you may lessen his chances if vote for anyone else in addition to him.

If you look at how many Joe got last year, that's not going to be a problem.

westofyou
09-02-2008, 10:18 AM
How do you change browsers? I'd like to vote at least twice a day for Joe

Each browser uses an individual cookie to track a visitors usage. So if you use IE/Firefox/Safari all in one day you can vote 6 times. You could try to clear your cookies after a vote to see if they start a fresh session when you log back in and see if you could vote a more numerous amount of times.

BTW.. I hate internet voting for the reason I just described above.

Sea Ray
09-02-2008, 02:34 PM
So Skip Carey's not on the ballot? That helps Joe's chances

cumberlandreds
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
So Skip Carey's not on the ballot? That helps Joe's chances

He's on it.

Roy Tucker
09-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I love Joe like a favorite uncle, but its a crime that Waite Hoyt hasn't won this award.

remdog
09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I liked Nuxy and, for local reasons, he had a ton of fans. But, frankly, as an announcer he was, to put it politely, terrible!

There, I said what most of you won't admit to.

If you want to vote for a Cincinnati announcer, vote for Waite Hoyt. A far better announcer and that's what this award is for.

If you want to vote for 'All around good guy' then I'm sure there is somewhere on the internet that you can nominate Joe.

Rem

remdog
09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Looks like Roy and I were thinking the same thing at the same time. I'm just a little more direct. :lol:

Rem

Sea Ray
09-02-2008, 04:00 PM
He's on it.

Good, he should be.

Joe was a great, great Reds fan but a Hall of Fame announcer he was not. It was so bad I longed for Joe's innings to end so we could get back to Al Michaels or Marty.

Unassisted
09-02-2008, 04:04 PM
If getting 2/3 of the fan vote in a 3-way race last time wasn't enough to get Joe the award, is he likely to fare any better after the next attempt at stuffing the ballot box? I just don't think Joe had enough national prominence to reel in a plurality of votes on the 20-member committee.

OnBaseMachine
10-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Fans vote Nuxhall a Frick finalist
Late Reds broadcaster among 10 named to 2009 ballot

CINCINNATI -- The late Joe Nuxhall's iconic personality with Reds fans continues to endure.

There was more evidence of that fact on Monday when Nuxhall was again listed among the National Baseball Hall of Fame's 10-person group of finalists for the annual Ford C. Frick Award by virtue of popular voting.

A record total of 145,138 votes were cast during September's balloting on baseballhall.org. Nuxhall led the way by receiving 19,547 votes and will be joined on the final ballot by Jacques Doucet, who broadcast Expos games in French for 34 years. Doucet finished with 10,282 votes. Blue Jays broadcasting great Tom Cheek was third with 8,992 votes.

Fans were permitted to cast votes for as many as three broadcasters once daily. During balloting, rallies were held to support Nuxhall's candidacy in his hometown of Fairfield, Ohio.

The other seven Frick finalists -- Billy Berroa, Ken Coleman, Dizzy Dean, Lanny Frattare, Tony Kubek, Graham McNamee and Dave Van Horne -- were named by a Hall of Fame research committee.

The winner of the 2009 Ford Frick Award will be announced on Dec. 9 during the Winter Meetings in Las Vegas. Voting will be performed by a 20-member electorate comprised of the 15 living Frick Award winners, including 2000 honoree and Nuxhall partner Marty Brennaman, and five historians or columnists.

The Frick award has been given annually by the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown since 1978 to broadcasters that "make major contributions to the game of baseball." Frick was considered a driving force behind the creation of the Hall of Fame, and he helped foster the relationship between radio and the game of baseball.

Longtime Mariners voice Dave Niehaus was the 2008 recipient of the Frick Award.

Affectionately known as the "Ol' Lefthander," Nuxhall began his pitching career as a 15-year-old with Cincinnati in 1944 and returned to star for the team from 1952-66. He was a full-time radio voice from 1967-2004 but worked a handful of games in retirement through the 2007 season before his death from cancer at the age of 79.

Nuxhall and Brennaman were paired for 31 years, beginning in 1974. They became a beloved tradition for Reds fans around the country that were able to pick up WLW's powerful AM signal.

Together, Nuxhall and Brennaman called some of the greatest moments in Reds history, including the "Big Red Machine" and its back-to-back World Series championships in 1975-76 and the 1990 World Series title season.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081006&content_id=3597950&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

George Anderson
10-06-2008, 08:24 PM
This whole idea of fans voting for this award is just foolish. I would say the vast majority of fans don't have the first clue who half the candidates are let alone heard there work as a broadcaster.

remdog
10-06-2008, 09:13 PM
This whole idea of fans voting for this award is just foolish. I would say the vast majority of fans don't have the first clue who half the candidates are let alone heard there work as a broadcaster.

That's exactly correct.

Rem

guttle11
10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
I liked Nuxy and, for local reasons, he had a ton of fans. But, frankly, as an announcer he was, to put it politely, terrible!

There, I said what most of you won't admit to.

If you want to vote for a Cincinnati announcer, vote for Waite Hoyt. A far better announcer and that's what this award is for.

If you want to vote for 'All around good guy' then I'm sure there is somewhere on the internet that you can nominate Joe.

Rem

False. The number one job as a radio announcer is to connect with the listeners, suck them into the game. Few in history have done that as well as Joe Nuxhall.

Was he the type of guy that could have gone national? Absolutely not. But he never tried to be something he wasn't. He simply wanted to bring the fans to the game through the radio. He loved his audience as much as they loved him. He became Reds baseball every night on 700 WLW.

If that's not hall of fame broadcasting...there is no such thing in my book. Whether he wins the award or not.

remdog
10-06-2008, 10:24 PM
False. The number one job as a radio announcer is to connect with the listeners, suck them into the game. Few in history have done that as well as Joe Nuxhall.

Absolutely wrong. The number one job of a radio announcer is to desribe the game in an accurate manner and paint a clear picture of the game on the field.

I suppose that next you will be saying that Nuxy was a better announcer than Vin Scully, Al Michaels, Red Barber, etc. because Nuxy mumbled well, talked about golf incessently, went to sleep for minutes of time but he was, somehow, a better announcer because he 'connected'.

OK, if that's your opinion. But, personally, I like to know what's going on down on the field, I'd like to hear the score every now and then and I'd actually like to hear someone that can speak passibly.

I liked Nuxy. But only because of his local connections/history. Frankly, he was a very poor announcer and if someone doesn't reconize that then I have to doubt their objectivity.

Rem

guttle11
10-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Absolutely wrong. The number one job of a radio announcer is to desribe the game in an accurate manner and paint a clear picture of the game on the field.

I suppose that next you will be saying that Nuxy was a better announcer than Vin Scully, Al Michaels, Red Barber, etc. because Nuxy mumbled well, talked about golf incessently, went to sleep for minutes of time but he was, somehow, a better announcer because he 'connected'.

OK, if that's your opinion. But, personally, I like to know what's going on down on the field, I'd like to hear the score every now and then and I'd actually like to hear someone that can speak passibly.

I liked Nuxy. But only because of his local connections/history. Frankly, he was a very poor announcer and if someone doesn't reconize that then I have to doubt their objectivity.

Rem

You've fallen into the same trap many others in the interwebs do. You think your single opinion matters. Well, it doesn't. Mine doesn't, either.

Ask the Reds radio audience about Joe Nuxhall, and the vast majority will respond positively. A good amount will talk for an hour if you let them. We live in a majority rules society. The majority of Reds fans loved and had a special connection with Nuxie behind the mic. He did something very, very correctly, and he did it better than almost anyone else in the history of his profession.

Another trap you've fallen into is thinking HOF denotes "better". That's not necessarily true. It just means enough of the right people liked what a guy did on the field, in the booth, or in the media.

remdog
10-06-2008, 11:37 PM
No trap. Honest opinion. (famous shrug) Nuxy was, as an announcer, quite frankly, terrible. His popularity stemed from other aspects. Lie to yourself all you want but he wasn't a good announcer. Truth. Times two.

If you want to turn this award into a popularity contest then that's up to you. Personally I don't buy into that nor do I buy into your invalid arguments.

Rem

AtomicDumpling
10-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Joe Nuxhall was a fantastic broadcaster.

Just calling the play-by-play accurately does not make a man a good broadcaster. That makes him an announcer -- not much different than the stadium announcer.

What made Nuxhall such a great broadcaster was his ability to make the fans enjoy the game. Very few broadcasters do that as well as Nuxy could.

Robotically describing the action is a million times easier than bringing the game home in a personal way to thousands of fans on a lazy summer evening.

I will take Joe Nuxhall over just about any other broadcaster any day of the week and twice on Sunday. And so will hundreds of thousands (probably millions actually) of baseball fans around the midwest.

Just because you don't care for his style doesn't mean Joe was bad at his job. I think it is you that is unable to comprehend why he was so special. Its your loss. I think you will have a very, very hard time convincing more than a handful of people on Redszone that Joe Nuxhall was anything other than a great broadcaster.

gonelong
10-07-2008, 08:52 AM
No trap. Honest opinion. (famous shrug) Nuxy was, as an announcer, quite frankly, terrible. His popularity stemed from other aspects. Lie to yourself all you want but he wasn't a good announcer. Truth. Times two.

Truth? Nah, just opinion.

Nuxy had a way of making the guys on the field human instead of the sum of the back of their baseball cards. His love of the game was infectious and if flowed across the airwaves in ways that "great" announcers would envy.

Steve Stewart can give you the score and the count, but he wasn't so likely to be the guy to assist the audience in feeling the unbridled joy or exquisite pain of the outcome of a single pitch.

Joe came to mean summer around these parts, and IMO, summer just can't be overrated. :)

If you want to turn this award into a popularity contest then that's up to you. Personally I don't buy into that nor do I buy into your invalid arguments.
Rem

I get why you don't think Joe was a good announcer, I just don't agree with you.

GL

George Anderson
10-07-2008, 09:16 AM
While I still stand behind my earlier point that fans shouldn't vote for this award because the vast majority of fans never heard the other candidates so cannot make a fully informed decision as to who is HOF worthy and who is not.

However I just find it hard IMO to think that Nuxhall is worthy of the HOF. He is a Reds icon, a HOF person, a person whose statue definitely belongs at GABP and a person I very much miss much as an announcer, but I just can't see him being ranked with the greatest baseball announcers of all time.

I think if you were go to a message board of alot of professional sports teams and ask if their hometown announcer is HOF worthy the vast majority would say yes. I have little doubt that if you went to a Indianapolis Colts message board and ask if Bob Lamey should be in the football announcers HOF the vast majority of Colts fans would say yes. The same would be true if Indiana Pacer fans were asked if Bobby Leonard and Mark Boyle should be in the basketball announcers HOF and I would say the vast majority of sports fans have little clue who Bob Lamey, Bobby Leonard and Mark Boyle are but in Indiana they are seen as broadcast legands. Sadly I see this being the same with Nuxhall and Cincinnati.

mbgrayson
10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
From a post I put up last year when Joe made the ballot with 82,000 votes:

Fans can determine three of the 10 candidates on the final ballot by voting at baseballhall.org, beginning Thursday and continuing throughout November. Active or retired broadcasters with a minimum of 10 years continuous broadcast service with a Major League club or a network or a combination of the two are eligible.

Fans may cast votes for as many as three broadcasters once daily, basing their decisions on four criteria: longevity; continuity with a club; honors, including awards and national assignments, such as the World Series and All Star-Games; and popularity.

The final ballot of 10 candidates, to be announced in early December, will include the top three fan selections and seven other candidates determined by a Hall of Fame staff research team. The Frick electorate includes all past winners and six historians appointed by the Hall of Fame.

Look at those four criteria:
1. Longevity- Joe boardcast for the Reds for 40 years.....wow.
2. Countinuity with club: 1944-2007. WOW, unbeatable.
3. Honors, special assignments: 5 World Series, a couple all star games, numerous playoffs.
4. Popularity....Joe's strongest point. look at the outpouring of love for the man when he retired, and again when he passed away. Joe IS Cincinnati....

I think Joe deserves to win. I am still pulling for him.
Mike

Unassisted
10-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Fans can determine three of the 10 candidates on the final ballot

I had been under the impression that there were 3 candidates on the final ballot. Joe was an institution in Cincinnati, but I don't see him having much of a chance of winning against 10 well-regarded broadcasters.

Chip R
10-07-2008, 10:20 AM

If the fans actually voted for the winner, Joe would have won already.

George Anderson
10-07-2008, 10:29 AM
If the fans actually voted for the winner, Joe would have won already.

No kidding??:rolleyes:

My point is fans should have no say in the decision what so ever.

bucksfan2
10-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Rem

But what happens if an announcer does a great job of describing the game but no one listens? Is he doing a good job?

I think Nuxy did exactly what you want a broadcaster to do. He had people tuning into the Reds games. Him and Marty had great chemistry on the air. His home run calls were legendary, even though he just screamed Get out! Get out!

Nuxy is a Hall of Fame Red. That is where he belongs. He isn't in the same category as an Al Michaels or Vin Scully. What made him great is that he was one of us, he was a fan first. He was great for all us Reds fans who listened to him, if he would have worked for another team I would imagine he would be looking for another job very quickly. But he was perfect for us Reds fans.

Chip R
10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
No kidding??:rolleyes:

My point is fans should have no say in the decision what so ever.

Why not? They are the ones who listen to the announcers. Don't you think they should have some input?

George Anderson
10-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Why not? They are the ones who listen to the announcers. Don't you think they should have some input?

Fans do such a wonderful job when it comes to voting dont they? Every All Star game they prove without a doubt just how clueless they are.

If we are going to let fans have a say in what announcers go in then lets be consistent and also have them have a say as to what players go in the HOF. Unless you want to see the HOF full of Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and Cubs I would strongly suggest that not being allowed.

Bottom line is let the individuals that are inducted into honary institutions like Hall of Fames being inducted based on their merits and not how popular they were or how many of their hometown fans can stuff the ballot box.

Chip R
10-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Fans do such a wonderful job when it comes to voting dont they? Every All Star game they prove without a doubt just how clueless they are.

If we are going to let fans have a say in what announcers go in then lets be consistent and also have them have a say as to what players go in the HOF. Unless you want to see the HOF full of Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and Cubs I would strongly suggest that not being allowed.

Bottom line is let the individuals that are inducted into honary institutions like Hall of Fames being inducted based on their merits and not how popular they were or how many of their hometown fans can stuff the ballot box.

But it's not the final say, George. They are just giving their input and then broadcasters pick the winner.

As for fans voting on things, name me another group who could do a better job.

Caseyfan21
10-07-2008, 12:29 PM

That is wrong in the case of the Frick Award....as posted on the last page, the four criteria are:

1. Longevity
2. Countinuity with club
3. Honors, special assignments
4. Popularity

MWM
10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Nuxy of his last 5-7 years in the booth was not a good broadcaster. But I think what gets forgotten is that he started braodcasting back in the 60s. Clear through the early to mid-90s, I thought Joe was a fantastic broadcaster. As he got older, his mind and tongue weren't as quick and he clearly lost something. But I thought his broadcasting could stand up to most other broadcasters prior to that.

Cyclone792
10-07-2008, 01:07 PM
That is wrong in the case of the Frick Award....as posted on the last page, the four criteria are:

1. Longevity
2. Countinuity with club
3. Honors, special assignments
4. Popularity

Joe's got 1, 2, and 4 signed, sealed, and delivered.

I wouldn't know what would fall under #3.

George Anderson
10-07-2008, 01:11 PM
But it's not the final say, George. They are just giving their input and then broadcasters pick the winner.

As for fans voting on things, name me another group who could do a better job.

Leave it to the broadcasters as the final say. Or develop a committee of people knowledgeable on broadcasting to make the decision. Fans should have ZERO input.

There is no way I could vote for in that poll with a clear concious simply because I never heard the vast majority of the announcers up for the vote. Maybe Nuxhall is worthy and then again maybe not but the bottom line is myself like most voters have no clue who is the best because we have never listened to anyone regularly other than our home town or favorite teams announcers.

Chip R
10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Leave it to the broadcasters as the final say. Or develop a committee of people knowledgeable on broadcasting to make the decision. Fans should have ZERO input.

There is no way I could vote for in that poll with a clear concious simply because I never heard the vast majority of the announcers up for the vote. Maybe Nuxhall is worthy and then again maybe not but the bottom line is myself like most voters have no clue who is the best because we have never listened to anyone regularly other than our home town or favorite teams announcers.

You're giving fan input too much credit here and falsely comparing it to All Star game voting. If they did the ASG like they did this, fans would vote for a certain amount of players to be voted on by the players. Peers aren't always the best group to poll on something like this either.

George Anderson
10-07-2008, 01:32 PM
You're giving fan input too much credit here and falsely comparing it to All Star game voting. If they did the ASG like they did this, fans would vote for a certain amount of players to be voted on by the players. Peers aren't always the best group to poll on something like this either.

I'm curious, how much time have you spent listening to the other nominees Tom Cheek, Ken Coleman, Dave Van Horne and Graham McNamee??

Chip R
10-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm curious, how much time have you spent listening to the other nominees Tom Cheek, Ken Coleman, Dave Van Horne and Graham McNamee??

I never saw Babe Ruth play but I can form an intelligent opinion on what kind of as player he was. Why don't you answer my question instead of deflecting it with red herrings?

George Anderson
10-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I never saw Babe Ruth play but I can form an intelligent opinion on what kind of as player he was. Why don't you answer my question instead of deflecting it with red herrings?

Um I answered your question, go back and look or better yet I will post it again.

Ok so you never heard the other announcers work but yet you are very confident that they are not as worthy of the HOF as Nuxhall is. This proves my point that the voters voting in this poll really are not informed.

Chip R
10-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Ok so you never heard the other announcers work but yet you are very confident that they are not as worthy of the HOF as Nuxhall is. This proves my point that the voters voting in this poll really are not informed.

You think Marty has listened to guys like Cheek, MacNamee, et al?

And I never said they weren't worthy. All I said was that fans should have some input into those selections. I'm fine with other broadcasters making the final call but I'm sure you'll misunderstand what I wrote to suit your purposes. :rolleyes:

George Anderson
10-07-2008, 02:12 PM
You think Marty has listened to guys like Cheek, MacNamee, et al?

And I never said they weren't worthy. All I said was that fans should have some input into those selections. I'm fine with other broadcasters making the final call but I'm sure you'll misunderstand what I wrote to suit your purposes. :rolleyes:

I would say that Marty's knowledge of Cheek, MacNamee and the other candidates is far superior to both of us and the vast majority of voters.

I guess I am different in that I think a vote should be an informed vote and not just one to get my favorite teams announcer in.

Unassisted
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Leave it to the broadcasters as the final say. Or develop a committee of people knowledgeable on broadcasting to make the decision.
The decision is made by a "committee of people knowledgeable on broadcasting..."

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080811&content_id=9077&vkey=hof_pr

The Frick ballot will then be considered by the Frick electorate, which includes all living Award-winners and five historians appointed by the Hall of Fame.

The electorate consists of 20 members, featuring 2008 Ford C. Frick Award-winner Dave Niehaus and the other 14 living Frick Award-winners: Marty Brennaman, Jerry Coleman, Gene Elston, Joe Garagiola, Ernie Harwell, Jaime Jarrin, Milo Hamilton, Harry Kalas, Denny Matthews, Felo Ramirez, Vin Scully, Lon Simmons, Bob Uecker and Bob Wolff. Five historians and veteran media members are also part of the electorate, including Bob Costas (NBC), Barry Horn (Dallas Morning News), Stan Isaacs (formerly of New York Newsday), Ted Patterson (historian) and Curt Smith (historian).

Fans should have ZERO input.
Let's say hypothetically you got your wish and the committee determined the list of finalists, too. If the 10 finalists under that system never included Joe Nuxhall, wouldn't there be a lot of resentment by the 100,000+ fans who voted for him the last couple of years? In effect, letting fans pick 3 of the 10 is a token effort to give them a voice. It's a perfect way to honor broadcasters like Joe who are beloved, but not great.

George Anderson
10-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Let's say hypothetically you got your wish and the committee determined the list of finalists, too. If the 10 finalists under that system never included Joe Nuxhall, wouldn't there be a lot of resentment by the 100,000+ fans who voted for him the last couple of years? In effect, letting fans pick 3 of the 10 is a token effort to give them a voice. It's a perfect way to honor broadcasters like Joe who are beloved, but not great.

The system never should of been in place to allow fans to vote in the first place. I realize it is not the determining factor of who gets in and who doesn't but in a close decision the fans decision could affect the outcome. I just proved with Chip R that he voted for Nuxhall but he did so with very little knowledge on the other candidates. What does that say about a poll where the voters simply don't have a clue as to who the candiates are let alone if they were the best at their craft and the most worthy of induction?

If an announcer is worthy of accolades then they will receive them as Joe has deservedly received from the Reds. Any token nomination for the HOF to me is just kinda foolish and misleading to the fans if indeed their votes carry very little weight.

Chip R
10-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I just proved with Chip R that he voted for Nuxhall but he did so with very little knowledge on the other candidates. What does that say about a poll where the voters simply don't have a clue as to who the candiates are let alone if they were the best at their craft and the most worthy of induction?

The only thing you proved is that you can't read worth a darn.

Roy Tucker
10-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I have no problem with fans voting in some of the nominees. Broadcasting, unlike baseball, is an art.

Ballplayers get elected into the HoF because of their statistics (or at least stats count for a large portion of why they get in).

Broadcasters have no such numerical criteria besides ratings. It's all pretty much how much the press, their peers, and most importantly, the fans like them. If the fans don't listen to them, they don't get the ratings, and they don't keep their jobs for very long.

I wouldn't trust the fans with the final vote, but to name some of the nominees seems a good compromise.

George Anderson
10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
The only thing you proved is that you can't read worth a darn.

examples please?

Chip R
10-07-2008, 03:18 PM
examples please?

You wouldn't understand it anyway so why bother?

George Anderson
10-07-2008, 03:21 PM
You wouldn't understand it anyway so why bother?

Isn't that a personal attack? :D

That would be two against me now wouldn't it?

MWM
10-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm sad ot have missed Hoyte. He was the voice of my dad's youth and he talks about how great a broadcaster he was (he's never been much of a Marty fan I think primarily because he loved Hoyte so much).

Anyone have any links to old Hoyte games, or calls? I'd love to listen.

westofyou
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm sad ot have missed Hoyte. He was the voice of my dad's youth and he talks about how great a broadcaster he was (he's never been much of a Marty fan I think primarily because he loved Hoyte so much).

Anyone have any links to old Hoyte games, or calls? I'd love to listen.

Here's a couple Mike.

Hoyt - 27 Yankees (http://baseballminutia.com/images/WaiteHoyt.mp3)
Last game 1965 season (http://baseballminutia.com/images/Reds_10_3_1965.mp3)

MWM
10-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Here's a couple Mike.

Hoyt - 27 Yankees (http://baseballminutia.com/images/WaiteHoyt.mp3)
Last game 1965 season (http://baseballminutia.com/images/Reds_10_3_1965.mp3)

Thanks. Listened to both of them. That's the kind of broadcasting I like to listen to. He seems consistent with the style of broadcast style I've heard from several post-WW2 announcers. His NE accent really comes through and I think works well on the radio.

The dead air doesn't bother me. It's very much what it's like actually watching a baseball game. His style seems very pleasant to listen to, which is what I enjoy most and one of the reasons I liked Steve Stewart. I don't especially care for an announcer who feels like they have to fill every second of airtime with chatter of some kind, or is constantly trying to interject their own editorial into the action on the field and clubhouse. I think I would have liked Hoyt.