PDA

View Full Version : Dunn at 1B

Old NDN
09-02-2008, 08:20 AM
I was watching the D'Backs-Cards game Mon. and saw Dunn at 1B. His OF defense (or lack thereof) was a constant topic here for quite awhile. Why didn't the Reds insist on Dunn to 1B? I know it's past history. But, the question arises as to who makes decisions on this team? Do managers, coaches and owners, or players decide where they play or bat? Do players "earn that right" due to service? In hindsight, could Dunn or Griffey's reluctance to change have stifled the Reds progress? Or is it a case of weak management and "inmates running the assylum"?

freestyle55
09-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Or is it a case of weak management and "inmates running the assylum"?

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner folks!

redsbuckeye
09-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Who would have played left field and where would have Votto and Hatteberg (when he was around) played?

09-02-2008, 09:40 AM
IIRC, Dunn did agree to move to first in the winter between 2005 and 2006. He was going to go into spring training as the 1B, with Wily Mo Pena taking his spot in left. Then O'Brien was fired, Krivsky took over, and he signed Hatteberg then traded Pena for Arroyo.
Dunn was not giddy about moving to first, but he was asked by management and agreed to move.

Orodle
09-02-2008, 10:05 AM
I think Dunn at 1B may have been a worse than having him in LF. People always think you can stick a bad fielder and hide him at 1B. How many good teams have horrible 1Bs? A firstbaseman has to field his position, hold runners, get to first on a groundball anywhere, and dig his teammates out when they make a bad throw. There is more to 1B than LF.....chase that flyball catch it and throw it back.

Old NDN
09-02-2008, 12:26 PM
You just described Votto at 1B! Is there any other MLB team that has an OFer the size of Dunn? His offensive production will surely draw lots of interest in the offseason. The best place to put him may be the AL, so he can DH.

Ahhhorsepoo
09-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I would put him at left out if he wants more than 7 mil a year..