PDA

View Full Version : Dayton at 19: Bruce vs. Soto

lollipopcurve
09-02-2008, 03:00 PM
As 19-year-old Dragons, here are Jay Bruce and Neftali Soto:

ABs 2B 3B HR BB K AVG OBP SLG OPS

Bruce 444 42 5 16 44 106 .291 .355 .516 .871

Soto 218 15 1 7 7 36 .326 .343 .500 .843

While Bruce had a significantly higher EBH%, their HR% is close. Bruce walked a lot more, but I have a feeling that is in part due to Soto's excellent contact skills.

For me, the essential point is that Soto is truly an advanced bat. How the Reds handle him, given that he's a player without a position, will be interesting. Seems to me they need to make a decision (3B or LF) and stick to it, starting next year. Because the bat could come fast.

dougdirt
09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Lets just note that Bruce hurt his shoulder the last game of July that year and had a .912 OPS at that point on the season. In August he hit .172 that year with an OPS under .600 and it really took his great season and turned it into a very good season.

Your point still remains though, Soto is an advanced bat that the Reds should consider pushing through the system as long as he shows he is capable of it.

lollipopcurve
09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Lets just note that Bruce hurt his shoulder the last game of July that year and had a .912 OPS at that point on the season. In August he hit .172 that year with an OPS under .600 and it really took his great season and turned it into a very good season.

Good point. I'd forgotten about that.

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm excited about the future of Neftali Soto. I don't think he's quite the hitter that Jay Bruce is (who is?) but he's got a chance to be a great hitter. His walk total isn't where it needs to be yet but the huge power potential and low strikeout total is very encouraging. I look for him to begin the season in High-A next season and possibly receive a promotion to AA if he mashes A+ pitching like he's capable of.

You gotta love all the young bats in the system - Jay Bruce and Joey Votto in the majors, and Neftali Soto, Yonder Alonso, and Todd Frazier in the minors with solid second tier players like Chris Valaika, Sean Henry, and Danny Dorn in AA. Plus we have Alex Buchholz in Billings and Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez far down the road. Hitting prospects is clearly the strength of the organization right now.

15fan
09-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Hitting prospects is clearly the strength of the organization right now.

I don't think the Reds have ever had a minor league system where the pitching was the strength.

At least not in my lifetime...

lollipopcurve
09-02-2008, 05:16 PM
You gotta love all the young bats in the system - Jay Bruce and Joey Votto in the majors, and Neftali Soto, Yonder Alonso, and Todd Frazier in the minors with solid second tier players like Chris Valaika, Sean Henry, and Danny Dorn in AA. Plus we have Alex Buchholz in Billings and Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez far down the road. Hitting prospects is clearly the strength of the organization right now.

It's a refrain for me. Do not forget about Chris Heisey.

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2008, 05:17 PM
It's a refrain for me. Do not forget about Chris Heisey.

Good point. Stubbs too. They're not in the class of Alonso, Soto, Frazier, though Stubbs could be if his power develops.

crazyredfan40
09-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Francisco has to be in the discussion as well I think...

camisadelgolf
09-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Ah, heck, let's keep going . . .

Shaun Cumberland, Tonys Gutierrez, Justin Turner, Logan Parker, Devin Mesoraco, Brandon Waring, Zack Cozart, Tony Brown, Tyler Stovall, Byron Wiley, Cody Puckett, etc.

There's a lot of hitting talent in the system. :)

OnBaseMachine
09-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Soto tough out

Neftali Soto, Dayton's third baseman/DH, hit .357 over his last 33 games of the regular season and had four hits in nine at-bats (.444) in his first two games of the playoffs.

"How do you get him out?" Silver Hawks manager Mark Haley asked. Then, his cell phone rang. "I've got calls around the league asking."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2008/09/08/ddn090808spdragonsnotes.html

Topcat
09-09-2008, 12:21 AM
I was high on this kid from Minute he was drafted. I honestly believe Neftali is on a fast track to the Majors and will not seem out of place upon his arrival there from the get go.

Betterread
09-09-2008, 12:28 AM
I was high on this kid from Minute he was drafted. I honestly believe Neftali is on a fast track to the Majors and will not seem out of place upon his arrival there from the get go.
But he wasn't on the fast track this year. He started out 2009 in advanced spring training, not on a full season team in his first full pro season like other high HS picks - Bruce, Bailey, Mesoraco. Given his clear success this year, I'm curious as to why that decision was made. I'm also curious what position the Reds will ask him to play next year.

dougdirt
09-09-2008, 12:56 AM
But he wasn't on the fast track this year. He started out 2009 in advanced spring training, not on a full season team in his first full pro season like other high HS picks - Bruce, Bailey, Mesoraco. Given his clear success this year, I'm curious as to why that decision was made. I'm also curious what position the Reds will ask him to play next year.

Mesoraco also started in extended spring training. He just got sent to Dayton in May. I think the reason he was held back was they wanted the college guys playing in Dayton.