PDA

View Full Version : Any1 catch Arroyo on Sportstalk tonight?

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Arroyo was on with PDoc in the 1st half hour..was pretty blunt about Adam Dunn...said they didn't need a player hitting 40 home runs but only batting .230.....also said he was a liability in the field...I know this has all been said ad nauseum but 1st time I heard an ex-teammate say it.

Stephenk29
09-02-2008, 10:52 PM
If I remember correctly Arroyo has already said something along these lines. He doesn't seem to shy about explaining his viewpoint. I dont see that being a face to face discussion with Dunn though! :help:

gilpdawg
09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Well maybe someone should have called in and told Arroyo we didn't need a pitcher who's going to suck like he has this year, until recently. Screw Bronson. Why trash a guy after he's gone? That lacks tact, IMO. Total ****** move.

Nasty_Boy
09-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Maybe he wanted to put Dunn down after Dunn called him out for talking about his contract. He seems there was some bad blood between the two.

ChatterRed
09-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Well maybe someone should have called in and told Arroyo we didn't need a pitcher who's going to suck like he has this year, until recently. Screw Bronson. Why trash a guy after he's gone? That lacks tact, IMO. Total ****** move.

Adam? Is that you? :p:

Moosie52
09-03-2008, 03:40 PM
You mean the co-player of the week in MLB?

Jim
09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
You mean the co-player of the week in MLB?

He's definitely much better as of late than he was the first half of the year.

However, comments like his seem to be a good indication that we won't see Dunn back. I was hoping to re-sign him at a reduced rate.

fitz1
09-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Arroyo is a straight shooter and doesn't try to gloss over anything. I appreciate his honesty. He has really turned his season around and is worthy of being the NL Player of the Week. Early in the year I was one that was saying he was a #5 pitcher on a staff and I'm glad he's proven me wrong. Sure wish WLW didn't play the "Together Again" about five times.

carmack42
09-03-2008, 04:47 PM
After his two-run hit the other day, the guy watching the game with me said "They oughta make the rest of the team wear those little leaguer helmets." I had no response to that.

BRM13
09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Arroyo is a straight shooter and doesn't try to gloss over anything. I appreciate his honesty.

He might be a straight shooter. Or he might be a guy who figures there's no percentage in saying the strategy that his bosses are following is anything less than brilliant.

ChatterRed
09-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Aside from 3 bad outings which added a full run to his e.r.a., Arroyo has been close to our best pitcher behind Volquez. He has turned it around, and for that I give him props. Also, when the trade deadline approached, some guys don't mind going to better teams, and Arroyo has always been rumored to be interested in returning to Boston.........but he actually spoke out that he wanted to stay here because he thought they were putting together a pretty good nucleus of players.

This is the type of team/talent that eventually pulls a Detroit (last year) or Rays (this year) or Marlins (every other year). They will suddenly blossom before our eyes. I really believe that.

If Harang, Volquez, Arroyo, and Cueto continue to pitch like they have, and we find some offense, say hello to my little friend!

BlastFurnace
09-05-2008, 03:20 PM
If someone would have told me...before the season...that Bronson was going to be 13-10this year, I'd take it. He's been pretty good this season. If we keep him around, next year's staff looks pretty good.

aerontg
09-05-2008, 04:39 PM

Would trashing Dunn while he was with the Reds been any better? Either you're defending Dunn pointlessly, or you think players don't deserve public criticism from others. Which one is it?

(You can probably bank on Dunn having said some stuff about Arroyo, even if it wasn't in the presence of the media. Dunn may have been bla-seh-bla to the media, but he always struck me a snipe)

Jr's Boy
09-05-2008, 06:42 PM
The Reds need veteran leadership like Bronson,someone not afraid to speak their mind,ala Greg Vaughn.We'll need it in the future with all the youth playing.Arroyo,Cordero,Philips,need to step up and show the young players when things get rough for them.jmo.

4-28
09-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Would trashing Dunn while he was with the Reds been any better? Either you're defending Dunn pointlessly, or you think players don't deserve public criticism from others. Which one is it?

(You can probably bank on Dunn having said some stuff about Arroyo, even if it wasn't in the presence of the media. Dunn may have been bla-seh-bla to the media, but he always struck me a snipe)

This is complete and utter crap. You have no knowledge that Dunn said anything about Arroyo, and there's been no reports of Dunn saying anything about Arroyo other than Arroyo shouldn't have talked about what Dunn may or may not have said about Dunn's wish for a contract. And how did he always strike you as a snipe? You in the Reds clubhouse? You ever talk to anyone in the Reds clubhouse?

As for trashing Dunn with the Reds being any better, that's an unequivocal "YES"!!! It's called talking to a person's face, and not sniping behind their back. I'll guarantee Bronson doesn't say any of this with Dunn here, cause he'd have to face the big guy everyday. What Bronson has said is utterly classless. Perhaps Dunn should bring up that Bronson's out partying all the time (he is, I see him all the time in Mount Adams right after games, with a game the next day). I only hope we dump him and his ridiculous salary, for a #4 starter, in the offseason for someone who isn't going to disappear for a half a season and then turn it on once the season is over and then turn around and stab his teammates in the back as it suits him.

aaronboonefan
09-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I remember a story that came out at the end of last year where they discussed Dunn calling Bronson out about his partying. He said something to the effect of if it was up to him Arroyo wouldn't be out partying at all hours of the morning, especially the night before he pitches. Sounds like Bronson didn't like being called out on his unprofessional ways.

I don't care for Bronson, off the field, at all. He can be a decent pitcher but I don't need to hear anything come out of his mouth because nothing that he says has any substance anyway.

:thumbdown

aerontg
09-06-2008, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=4-28;1735193You have no knowledge that Dunn said anything about Arroyo, and there's been no reports of Dunn saying anything about Arroyo other than Arroyo shouldn't have talked about what Dunn may or may not have said about Dunn's wish for a contract. [/QUOTE]

How would you know what I know? Maybe you need to look at the last post in this thread (before the one I'm writing now). See you at the games, Chief! :thumbup:

ChatterRed
09-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I remember a story that came out at the end of last year where they discussed Dunn calling Bronson out about his partying. He said something to the effect of if it was up to him Arroyo wouldn't be out partying at all hours of the morning, especially the night before he pitches. Sounds like Bronson didn't like being called out on his unprofessional ways.

I don't care for Bronson, off the field, at all. He can be a decent pitcher but I don't need to hear anything come out of his mouth because nothing that he says has any substance anyway.

:thumbdown

Ever hear of Kenny Stabler?

As long as a guy produces.......which Bronson is...........why trash him?

gilpdawg
09-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Keep it out of the media.

NeilHamburger
09-06-2008, 10:24 PM
That wasn't even the best thing about the interview. Doc asked him his thoughts on Palin, Bronson had no clue who she was. He asked if she was a muscian, Doc said no she was the VP candidate for the republicans. He said he'd heard she was hot but didn't know anything about her. He also hates wine, he thinks it tastes like rubbing alcohol.

4-28
09-07-2008, 12:00 PM
How would you know what I know? Maybe you need to look at the last post in this thread (before the one I'm writing now). See you at the games, Chief! :thumbup:

If you actually knew what was going on in the clubhouse, you would say "I've been told", or "I've seen", not "you can probably bank", which is what you said in your first post. Since you said neither of those, and being that you're posting on a fan message board, it's a pretty reasonable assumption that you don't have any "insider" info as to what's going on in the clubhouse.

As for Dunn's criticism of Bronson's partying, I hadn't heard that before. But at least he did it while he was still Bronson's teammate, and at least it was a true criticism(as has been documented by many others, besides myself). Bashing a guy after he's gone (and it wasn't Dunn's choosing to leave, so he wasn't saying he didn't want to be with those guys anymore) and then saying we don't need him anyways because of his low BA (which is a ridiculously poor stat to site) and his high home run totals (which Bronson should be familiar with the damage they actually do, since he gives up so many) is classless.

aerontg
09-07-2008, 01:40 PM
As for Dunn's criticism of Bronson's partying, I hadn't heard that before. But at least he did it while he was still Bronson's teammate, and at least it was a true criticism(as has been documented by many others, besides myself). Bashing a guy after he's gone (and it wasn't Dunn's choosing to leave, so he wasn't saying he didn't want to be with those guys anymore) and then saying we don't need him anyways because of his low BA (which is a ridiculously poor stat to site) and his high home run totals (which Bronson should be familiar with the damage they actually do, since he gives up so many) is classless.

How do YOU know that Dunn didn't leave on his own choosing? Everyone knows he was going to demand more money than the Reds would be willing to pay him, and he did have some stinging criticism (however true it may be) for the team AFTER he was gone. I think it's a reasonable assumption that he was GLAD to leave, and in my book that's on the same level as one leaving on his own choosing.

Please do tell all the Dunn haters how batting in the .230's-.240's range, striking out so much, and having such a poor HR-RBI ratio is a good thing.

Betterread
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
That wasn't even the best thing about the interview. Doc asked him his thoughts on Palin, Bronson had no clue who she was. He asked if she was a muscian, Doc said no she was the VP candidate for the republicans. He said he'd heard she was hot but didn't know anything about her. He also hates wine, he thinks it tastes like rubbing alcohol.

I didn't hear the interview, but I'm with you that the stuff you mentioned would have caught my ear more than the criticism. Arroyo sounds hilarious (like a total fool) - its a good thing for him that he's a talented and rich athlete.

gedred69
09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
The personal attacks back and forth are useless. Get back to the points that matter. Do the Reds need/want Arroyo back? My answers are yes, and I hope yes. His experience will be valuable to what I believe will be a young team next year. Does he have the ability to be an asset? Again, I say yes. He's an innings eater, and shines in the spotlight. He got off to a slow start, but has turned his performance around, ----even though the team around him, has been in the tank since the All-Star break. Yes, he apparently parties a little too hardy some times. I sat with a couple of Bartenders from one of the "in crowd" hang outs earlier in the season, and they confirmed he holds court with the young cuties looking for a star to hang on. But, he turned it on when some of the others were el sucko. If I had to choose between him and Dunn to be a part, I'd take Arroyo. Dunn is as Joe Torre and the GM from Toronto put it, a flawed, ho-hum attitude power hitter who strikes out way too much, and doesn't drive in the runs you would expect a 40 HR guy to do.

4-28
09-08-2008, 08:53 PM
How do YOU know that Dunn didn't leave on his own choosing? Everyone knows he was going to demand more money than the Reds would be willing to pay him, and he did have some stinging criticism (however true it may be) for the team AFTER he was gone. I think it's a reasonable assumption that he was GLAD to leave, and in my book that's on the same level as one leaving on his own choosing.

Please do tell all the Dunn haters how batting in the .230's-.240's range, striking out so much, and having such a poor HR-RBI ratio is a good thing.

How did this get to be a keep/release/bash Adam Dunn's numbers thread? The original point was around Arroyo and his talking to the media about Dunn. But I'll play...

To your first point, you can conjecture, surmise, do whatever you want, but Dunn was on record as saying he wanted to be here this year and beyond earlier in the season. I'll take the man at his word, and having heard nothing else since that, assume that he meant what he said when he stated he wanted to be here.

Next, as has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, batting average isn't a very good stat to look at. Tell me, ignoring power for a second, would you rather have a guy that bats .230-.240 (and Dunn's career average is actually about .250) but gets on base at a .380 clip, or someone who bats .280-.290 and gets on at a .330 clip? I'll take the guy making significantly less outs every day of the week, regardless of his BA.

Finally, another point that has been discussed endlessly, how is it Dunn's fault that no one is one base for him to drive in? Baseball is a team game, and your teammates have to be on base for you to drive them in. Dunn's OBI% the last couple of years is around 15-16%, which is roughly league average, but guys haven't been getting on base (or he hasn't been placed in the correct slot in the order) for him to get higher RBI numbers.

aerontg
09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
To your first point, you can conjecture, surmise, do whatever you want, but Dunn was on record as saying he wanted to be here this year and beyond earlier in the season. I'll take the man at his word, and having heard nothing else since that, assume that he meant what he said when he stated he wanted to be here.

I guess I'll keep on conjecturing and going by what the media (that are around him) says, and what his fellow teammates have said, and what Dunn has said about his teammates. Furthermore, there aren't too many players that wouldn't want to stick around for an anticipated (if he played his cards right kind of thing), substantial payraise.

There was no point in quoting the rest of your post because I'm just not into pissing matches. However I will say that OBP is the popular stats nowadays and if you stick around the game long enough it won't be. Really, at this point, I think we would all be better served to focus on the Reds' offseason. It has the makings of some major moves for the club (roster, coaching staff and front office), something we've not really see in quite some time.

4-28
09-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I guess I'll keep on conjecturing and going by what the media (that are around him) says, and what his fellow teammates have said, and what Dunn has said about his teammates. Furthermore, there aren't too many players that wouldn't want to stick around for an anticipated (if he played his cards right kind of thing), substantial payraise.

There was no point in quoting the rest of your post because I'm just not into pissing matches. However I will say that OBP is the popular stats nowadays and if you stick around the game long enough it won't be. Really, at this point, I think we would all be better served to focus on the Reds' offseason. It has the makings of some major moves for the club (roster, coaching staff and front office), something we've not really see in quite some time.

Just a question, can you show me a quote where Adam Dunn said he wanted to leave? Because that's what you said, he said he wanted to leave. I agree he was going to get a pay raise, but he would have gotten that if he stayed here. It may have not been as much as he'd get on the free agent market, or it could have been more had he stayed here (unlikely, sure), but I don't know for sure.

And just because OBP is popular now doesn't mean it's bad. When people understood baseball less, BA was a good stat to get you a relative worth of a player compared to others. As we've evolved our understanding, OBP has been proven to be more valuable. OPS has proven even more valuable. As baseball knowledge is refined, I'm sure better stats will be found (and there are already some, they're just harder to calculate). All this doesn't change the fact that OBP > BA.

Kingspoint
09-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Arroyo was on with PDoc in the 1st half hour..was pretty blunt about Adam Dunn...said they didn't need a player hitting 40 home runs but only batting .230.....also said he was a liability in the field...I know this has all been said ad nauseum but 1st time I heard an ex-teammate say it.

There's no comfort to a pitcher having Junior and Dunn in the Outfield at the same time. That's probably the reason for Dustbag's obsession with Patterson.

BurgervilleBuck
09-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Why trash a guy after he's gone? That lacks tact, IMO. Total ****** move.
Hey, Dunn's just as guilty (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2008/09/05/20080905spt-dbnotes.html).

"I hate to say I don't care (about the money), because nobody will believe you, but I'm so sick and tired of losing," he said. "It takes years off my life, dude. Not hours, losing has taken years off my life. I can't do it anymore. The money, it will be there. Yeah, I want to win."

Keep it classy, donkey.

levydl
09-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey, Dunn's just as guilty (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2008/09/05/20080905spt-dbnotes.html).

Keep it classy, donkey.

Where does he trash anyone in that quote? He said he hates losing, is sick and tire of it, and the money is less important than not losing. He doesn't even obliquely trash anyone. What you're doing is more than a reach.

Also, it's funny that you criticize him for this comment, while many (and I'm guessing you're part of this group, though I don't know for sure) ridiculed him as a guy who didn't care whether he won or lost.

aerontg
09-10-2008, 10:48 PM
4-28, what a 'different' username on here. It shows up as something different than that in your quotes. Ah, well, just thought you might like to know. ;)

And I could care less about the comparison the two stats. Quotes have been given on this site of Dunn's feelings for his teammates. Links have been given. No need for the redundancy, just look it up yourself. Who said OBP was bad? You're all over the map, dude, with your accusations. A lot of people are glad that Junior and Dunn are gone, and it doesn't have a whole lot to do with batting average.

It should be obvious to you that Reds teammates knew that Dunn was going to command far more than the club would be willing to give him, and that it in itself is indicative of him wanting to leave. Him stating to the media that he wanted to stay was a politically correct thing to say, and with a possible payraise in mind.

Stephenk29
09-10-2008, 10:57 PM
For whatever its worth I know both Arroyo and Dunn have been know to party it up the night before the game.

I know friends who have run into Arroyo on numerous occasions and Dunn as well. But hey who's to say they can't do that. I won't condone them either way. I think at this point their both just taking jabs at each other, none of it should be taken to seriously.

BurgervilleBuck
09-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Where does he trash anyone in that quote? He said he hates losing, is sick and tire of it, and the money is less important than not losing. He doesn't even obliquely trash anyone. What you're doing is more than a reach.
Not really. All those years of losing have taken years off my life, too. But who has he been with during all of those losing years? Who was one of the faces of the organization during those years? Who can't field properly when the game is on the line?

ChatterRed
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Get ready. The Reds are getting ready to put a good team on, just in time, before you die! ;)

BurgervilleBuck
09-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Get ready. The Reds are getting ready to put a good team on, just in time, before you die! ;)

From your keyboard to the scoreboard*. ;)

*my version of "From your mouth to God's ears".