PDA

View Full Version : Season Ticket Luncheon: Q+A with Walt

I(heart)Freel
09-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Any else attend the season ticket holder luncheon yesterday?

My first time there. Had a friend invite me. Pretty cool.

Had two q+a sessions... first with Walt and then with Brantley, Hanigan, Dickerson and Arroyo.

Both sessions were good. Dickerson and Hanigan impress me with their makeup and attitude. Bronson is Bronson, and always a pleasure to hear speak. Dude doesn't mince words.

But I was most excited to ask Walt a few questions. First was about the off season and the playroll flex we have. What's the priority?

He spoke in the usual vague terms, but he said at least 3 times in the answer... "a power right handed bat."

Didn't say anythign about another starter or the need for a catcher. Which are all the things we've seen printed and know to be true.

So the fact that he said "right handed power bat" I thought was pretty revealing. It must truly be his priority.

Setting us up for Pat Burrel, or a splashy trade (Holliday, etc.)?

I also had the friend who invited me ask about whether BPhil moving to short has ever been seriously talked about. He said it has, but that Brandon has told them he prefers second at this point. But Walt said they know they have that flexibility so they can plan the roster around that idea.

Thought that was nice. My pipedream for a Brian Roberts trade this offseason remains intact!

Curious if anyone else was there.

redsbuckeye
09-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Grab Nick Markakis while you're getting Roberts!

HeatherC1212
09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Grab Nick Markakis while you're getting Roberts!

While I would LOVE to see both those guys in Reds uniforms (especially since we actually drafted Nick first even though he didn't sign here, LOL), I don't think it's going to happen. Nick's their future (and current?) star and they don't really have anyone to replace Brian at second base, so they'd want a king's ransom for either player and I don't want to see us give away the farm when half our farm is all ready playing with the big club and gaining valuable experience for the future. I don't know if the O's would want some of our guys who are still in the minors but I'm hesitant to part with our own 'future stars' right now. :eek: (BTW-Brian is a FA at the end of next season so why get him in a trade when you might be able to get him through FA?!)

Thanks for the info about the Q&A. I think one of those things would be really fun to attend sometime! :)

NorrisHopper30
09-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I'd pass on Roberts. Go for a big OF RH bat before you go for him.

namichael
09-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Setting us up for Pat Burrel, or a splashy trade (Holliday, etc.)?

I could definitely dig Pat Burrell in left.

nemesis
09-04-2008, 06:50 PM
I say its Uggla... Just fits his pattern. Has made some huge trades for infielders in his past... McGwire, Eckstein, Rolen, Rentieria, Will Clark. The only "big name" outfielder I can remeber was Edmonds

NarrowStairs
09-05-2008, 12:57 AM
I bet none of you sissies asked him why Patterson was still around.

David Cubbedge
09-05-2008, 03:52 AM
I say its Uggla... Just fits his pattern. Has made some huge trades for infielders in his past... McGwire, Eckstein, Rolen, Rentieria, Will Clark. The only "big name" outfielder I can remeber was Edmonds

Larry Walker

redsbuckeye
09-05-2008, 10:00 AM
While I would LOVE to see both those guys in Reds uniforms (especially since we actually drafted Nick first even though he didn't sign here, LOL), I don't think it's going to happen. Nick's their future (and current?) star and they don't really have anyone to replace Brian at second base, so they'd want a king's ransom for either player and I don't want to see us give away the farm when half our farm is all ready playing with the big club and gaining valuable experience for the future. I don't know if the O's would want some of our guys who are still in the minors but I'm hesitant to part with our own 'future stars' right now. :eek: (BTW-Brian is a FA at the end of next season so why get him in a trade when you might be able to get him through FA?!)

Thanks for the info about the Q&A. I think one of those things would be really fun to attend sometime! :)

Reports were he was unhappy with the Orioles because of a very small raise he got from last year to this. Next year he enters arb and if someone plays their cards right, they may be able to nab him if the O's suddenly start becoming cost conscientious (something they've needed to do for a while).

Although, to borrow what you already said, probably a pipe-dream.

redhawk61
09-05-2008, 10:16 AM
What would you guys give up for Holliday?

Bailey
Fraizer
Lecure
Tuner

?

HeatherC1212
09-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Reports were he was unhappy with the Orioles because of a very small raise he got from last year to this. Next year he enters arb and if someone plays their cards right, they may be able to nab him if the O's suddenly start becoming cost conscientious (something they've needed to do for a while).

Although, to borrow what you already said, probably a pipe-dream.

I believe the O's have some salary coming off their books this year and IMO, the last thing Angelos is going to do is become cost conscious (word is the O's are going hard after Teixiera this year). I bet they sign Nick to a long term deal this offseason and if they are stupid and don't do that, I think the O's fans will revolt and run Angelos and MacPhail out of town, LOL :laugh:

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to have him here but I also love the O's and want to see them do well so I like Nick being over there too. He is an awesome player and IIRC, he's leading the AL in outfield assists right now which I think is awesome. :thumbup:

Ghosts of 1990
09-05-2008, 12:42 PM
You guys clamoring for Pat Burrell make me laugh. He's not as good of a player as Adam Dunn..... that is if you were one of the ones happy to see Dunn go. Now Holliday, thats more like it.

HeatherC1212
09-05-2008, 01:20 PM
You guys clamoring for Pat Burrell make me laugh. He's not as good of a player as Adam Dunn..... that is if you were one of the ones happy to see Dunn go. Now Holliday, thats more like it.

Holliday is a great player and a really good guy. I'd love to see him here. :)

redhawk61
09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
the one thing that getting Holliday would do would create a very intresting situation with Votto and Alonso. First, I agree that the only way a deal gets done is if the Reds know that they will pay w/e it takes to sign him longterm.

So the deal is made of something like Bailey, Fraizer, Turner, Lecure or something similar.
...but come 2010 Alonso should be ready to step in....so where does he go? Votto can't go to LF with Holliday there. Do we try Alonso next year at 3rd alot more (despite scouting reports) Or is he traded in the offseason '09? Offensively if you move him to 3rd the lineup would be torturous on opponents, defensively, we better have a very strong defensive SS (please Cozart be ready in a year:pray:, and have found your offensive game this year, all he would need is .725 ish OPS with his D and the rest of the offense would carry plenty of the load...but thats a long shot)

What say you?

ChatterRed
09-05-2008, 03:37 PM

Burrell is a slightly better hitter and fielder than Dunn. Maybe not by a mile, but still better.

The downside is that he's also older.

If Dickerson proves himself, he does have decent power. I believe Votto, Bruce, and Dickerson can provide the LH power this team needs. Dickerson also brings speed and defense.

EE and Phillips bring power, but we need one more RH power bat.

I(heart)Freel
09-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I bet none of you sissies asked him why Patterson was still around.

Actually, a "sissy" did exactly that.

And he said the same thing we've heard before... that with Dunn and Junior's departures and Hairston's and Freel's injuries, there just isnt OF depth in the organization. So cutting one made no sense. Plus, Walt said, Patterson showed he can still help the club with his glove, as he did the night before with a homer-robbing catch.

How's that for a "sissy" answer?

BLEEDS
09-07-2008, 12:39 PM
the one thing that getting Holliday would do would create a very intresting situation with Votto and Alonso. First, I agree that the only way a deal gets done is if the Reds know that they will pay w/e it takes to sign him longterm.

So the deal is made of something like Bailey, Fraizer, Turner, Lecure or something similar.
...but come 2010 Alonso should be ready to step in....so where does he go? Votto can't go to LF with Holliday there. Do we try Alonso next year at 3rd alot more (despite scouting reports) Or is he traded in the offseason '09? Offensively if you move him to 3rd the lineup would be torturous on opponents, defensively, we better have a very strong defensive SS (please Cozart be ready in a year:pray:, and have found your offensive game this year, all he would need is .725 ish OPS with his D and the rest of the offense would carry plenty of the load...but thats a long shot)

What say you?

I"m not sure what that has to do with it. We need a LF-er regardless. By that thinking we can't get one at all.

The bigger problem is what would they do if they were going after Texiera - which I don't think they will do, but has been discussed in RZ - since he plays 1B.

Alonso can also play 3B, so that's where he'd likely be headed in this scenario. Gee, what a problem to have - where to put our 3rd power hitting young, cheap, LH-ed bat. We're not going to trade a guy we just drafted the year before and gave a Huge SB to. Get real.

I wouldn't worry about where Alonso fits if we got a Holliday, it would be the least of my concerns.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

nemesis
09-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Plan A has to be Holliday, Plan B a very distant plan B would be Burrell and he better get nothing more than 2 years with a 3rd and maybe a 4th year mutual option. We have to many bats in the minors without postions that'll be ready that we can fit into LF to spend money on a declining hitter. Holliday on the other hand you go out and sign long term. Then you can trade those bats in the minors for pitching, shortstop and catching help.