PDA

View Full Version : Say your prayers: The world ends on Wednesday

TC81190
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
That is, if you want to believe a bunch of concerned scientists who're trying to stop the LHC from being turned on
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/article1630897.ece

Gotta love sensationalist media.

GoReds33
09-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Aw, man. I was spending all my time getting ready for the end of the world in 2012. I guess I better speed up the process.:D

durl
09-05-2008, 03:40 PM
So is there a "consensus" among scientists about this device?

HotCorner
09-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I'll try to convince my better half that we to complete #3 from the article's list of 9 things to do. :evil:

gonelong
09-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I was planning to party pretty hard this weekend, but I might have to kick it up a notch now.

GL

SunDeck
09-05-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm sure there has to be an end of the world auto sale somewhere.

M2
09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
... and I feel fine.

TC81190
09-05-2008, 04:29 PM
To whoever asked above (I'd quote but I'm posting from a blackberry and only quick reply seems to work), the consensus is that it is entirely safe. In fact, they intend to create black holes, however, any black hole created by the machine wouldn't have enough mass to be self sustaining and would disappear almost immediately.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
So is there a "consensus" among scientists about this device?

Yep. No problem.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1838947,00.html?imw=Y

From the flagellants of the Middle Ages to the doomsayers of Y2K, humanity has always been prone to good old-fashioned the-end-is-nigh hysteria. The latest cause for concern: that the earth will be destroyed and the galaxy gobbled up by an ever-increasing black hole next week.

On Sept. 10, scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland, will switch on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) — a $6 billion particle accelerator that will send beams of protons careening around a 17-mile underground ring, crash them into each other to re-create the immediate aftereffects of the Big Bang, and then monitor the debris in the hope of learning more about the origins and workings of the universe. Next week marks a low-power run of the circuit, and scientists hope to start smashing atoms at full power by the end of the month.

Critics of the LHC say the high-energy experiment might create a mini black hole that could expand to dangerous, Earth-eating proportions. On Aug. 26, Professor Otto Rossler, a German chemist at the Eberhard Karis University of Tubingen, filed a lawsuit against CERN with the European Court of Human Rights that argued, with no understatement, that such a scenario would violate the right to life of European citizens and pose a threat to the rule of law. Last March, two American environmentalists filed a lawsuit in Federal District Court in Honolulu seeking to force the U.S. government to withdraw its participation in the experiment. The lawsuits have in turn spawned several websites, chat rooms and petitions — and led to alarming headlines around the world (Britain's Sun newspaper on Sept. 1: "End of the World Due in 9 Days").

Should we be scared? No. In June, CERN published a safety report, reviewed by a group of external scientists, ruling out the possibility of dangerous black holes. It said that even if tiny black holes were to be formed at CERN — a big if — they would evaporate almost instantaneously due to Hawking Radiation, a phenomenon named for the British physicist Stephen Hawking, whose theories show that black holes not only swallow up the light, energy and matter around them, but also leak it all back out at an accelerating pace. According to Hawking, if tiny black holes occurred at CERN, they would evaporate before they got a chance to do any damage. (Even if Hawking's theories prove to be wrong — no one has yet witnessed black-hole evaporation — scientists at CERN say the LHC's collisions are already known to be harmless: an equivalent amount of energy is produced hundreds of thousands of times a day by cosmic rays colliding with the earth and other objects in the cosmos — always without incident.)

After taking in the results of CERN's report, the European Court rejected Rossler's request last week for an emergency injunction that would have stopped the LHC (it will still hear his lawsuit). The U.S. suit is pending, but CERN spokesman James Gillies said that even if it is successful the experiment will go ahead without U.S. participation.

"The U.S. court has no jurisdiction over our equipment. It could pull American scientists out of the experiment, but that would just be a great shame for them. The LHC presents no risk. What it does do is hold the promise of substantially enriching humanity by providing insight into the mysteries of the universe. It's a tremendously exciting time for physicists here and around the world," he said.

Scientists believe the LHC's results will help fill in gaps in the Standard Model, the far-reaching set of equations on the interaction of subatomic particles that is the closest that modern physics comes to a testable "theory of everything." For example, scientists believe the LHC will produce a particle, the Higgs Boson, that will end debate over how matter in the universe acquires mass. Or, it could even provide evidence for more ambitious theories of the universe, such as string theory, which unites quantum mechanics and general relativity, the previously known laws of the small and large that are currently incompatible in the Standard Model.

Despite these exciting prospects, however, physicists studying the cosmos at CERN and other accelerators still face a fundamental dilemma: to explain the awesome scale of their work while calming the public's inevitable trepidation. There remains a credibility gap surrounding high-profile physics, after all: The most tangible results of atomic research in the last 50 years have been bombs capable of ending all life on earth. CERN officials refer to the laboratory as the European Laboratory for Particle Physics because they feel "nuclear" in the literal translation carries negative implications, and tour guides at the LHC are quick to point out that the accelerator has no weapons applications.

But it's not just physicists whose work provokes strong and often irrational fear, according to Professor Robin Williams, director of the Institute for the Study of Science, Technology and Innovation at the University of Edinburgh. He points out that the millennial anxiety about scientific and technological breakthroughs predates particle physics. When the locomotive was first conceived, for example, even some engineers predicted catastrophe resulting from the human body's inability to withstand the strains of high-speed travel. The word "vaccine" comes from the Latin word for cow, "vacca" — the first vaccinations, against smallpox, used bovine ingredients, leading to widespread fear that the injections would turn humans into cows.

But Williams also believes that the flip side of such fear is faith in the redemptive potential of science (there are equally irrational websites about CERN, for example, that predict the LHC will create wormholes to distant corners of the universe where humanity can escape to other inhabitable planets). Williams wrote in an e-mail: "I have come to see that in their early days, new technology and scientific breakthroughs often serve as Rorschach tests — a phenomenon about which we have little concrete understanding, onto which contemporary social anxieties (and dreams) can readily be projected. As a result we find (often polarized) utopian and dystopian visions being articulated." Humanity will certainly survive the LHC's experiment, Williams added, but so too will its darkest fears about its own destructive potential, and hope for its future.

Highlifeman21
09-05-2008, 04:34 PM
... and I feel fine.

:thumbdown for making a REM reference (one of the worst bands ever, but not nearly as bad as the Beatles!)

-----

As an aside, isn't there some sorta scientific machine/experiment/apparatus in the Dakotas or something that stretches 300 miles?

I could have sworn I remember seeing something about this late at night watching either Discovery or the History Channel.

HumnHilghtFreel
09-05-2008, 04:37 PM
To whoever asked above (I'd quote but I'm posting from a blackberry and only quick reply seems to work), the consensus is that it is entirely safe. In fact, they intend to create black holes, however, any black hole created by the machine wouldn't have enough mass to be self sustaining and would disappear almost immediately.

The problem I have with this is, even if the potential for danger is 1% is that a risk worth taking when you consider what the possible outcome of that 1% is? And then after this, what experiment is next and on what grand scale of risk will it take us to.

It's all fascinating, but scary all at once.

TC81190
09-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Humanhighlightfreel:
I know what you mean. I personally wouldn't do the experiment. However, the odds that something goes wrong with this aren't even 1 percent. It isn't 0 percent. You'd have to stretch the decimal point somewhere in the 500 place range to get a percent roughly equivalent to what the likelihood of something catastrophic happening with this would be. So technically, it IS possible, but by that sense, its also possible that I could sprout wings and fly out of the window I'm sitting next to right now.

Unassisted
09-05-2008, 06:47 PM
This might be a good time to buy something you don't need with a loan you can't afford. ;)

dougdirt
09-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I just talked to my friend who is up at Northwestern studying similar things as to what is being proposed here. He says they have actually discussed this in class and there is a very similar thing right outside of Chicago and it hasn't killed the world either. So we are safe.....

With that said, don't tell the women you know and take Hot Corners advice and run with it.

MrCinatit
09-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Them thar scientersts are tryin' ta kill us again! Where's my pitchfork and torch?

Caveat Emperor
09-05-2008, 08:42 PM
With that said, don't tell the women you know and take Hot Corners advice and run with it.

Is there really any way to work your knowledge of a giant, black-hole creating doomsday machine into a casual conversation with a woman and not end up looking like a total dork?

RFS62
09-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Is there really any way to work your knowledge of a giant, black-hole creating doomsday machine into a casual conversation with a woman and not end up looking like a total dork?

It's a numbers game.

:cool:

dougdirt
09-05-2008, 09:12 PM

Eh, all the girls I know already know I am a big nerd at heart so I don't think it will be too strange if I bring up a black hole creating doomsday device in conversation. Its tough to work from home with computers all day and give off the 'Im not a nerd at heart' vibe.

BoydsOfSummer
09-05-2008, 09:29 PM
What's next, imploding stars for giggles?

Raisor
09-05-2008, 10:39 PM
They couldn't have turned the darn thing on before the baseball season? Would have saved us from some pain.

Tom Servo
09-06-2008, 02:40 AM
and I had big plans for Thursday and everything. Sighhhhhhhh.

Super_Barry11
09-06-2008, 04:23 AM
and I had big plans for Thursday and everything. Sighhhhhhhh.

No kidding!! I'm flying to Singapore on Thursday! I want my vacation, doggone it!! :p:

GoReds33
09-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Wednesday is my dad's birthday, so I might not get him anything.:D

NJReds
09-06-2008, 11:50 AM
This might be a good time to buy something you don't need with a loan you can't afford. ;)

Most of the country already did that over the last couple of years.

SunDeck
09-06-2008, 12:20 PM
No kidding!! I'm flying to Singapore on Thursday! I want my vacation, doggone it!! :p:

If hoping your plane doesn't get sucked up into one of those new black holes. I'll be in my bomb shelter (pictured below) Wednesday just to be on the safe side.

http://www.theploughstapenhill.co.uk/images/photos/cellar2.jpg

MrCinatit
09-06-2008, 01:21 PM
If hoping your plane doesn't get sucked up into one of those new black holes. I'll be in my bomb shelter (pictured below) Wednesday just to be on the safe side.

Weird. When you made the post, I did not see the picture at first - but I see the tag when I quote you, and both pictures appeared after I made this post (and before my edit).
It is almost as if your picture got sucked in by a black ho...uh oh. Karma.

Jpup
09-08-2008, 12:20 AM
..and I was going to get married in less than 2 weeks.

M2
09-08-2008, 12:32 AM
:thumbdown for making a REM reference (one of the worst bands ever, but not nearly as bad as the Beatles!)

Perhaps this will make you feel better -

Prime directive, exterminate the whole human race

Roy Tucker
09-08-2008, 08:36 AM
We are the Borg, prepare to be assimilated. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Highlifeman21
09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Perhaps this will make you feel better -

Prime directive, exterminate the whole human race

If I recognize the lyrics correctly, I'm not the biggest My Chemical Romance fan either.

Yachtzee
09-08-2008, 09:18 PM
No need to the worry. If any black holes are generated, we can just roll up a katamari or two to plug them up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_Katamari

M2
09-09-2008, 01:26 AM
If I recognize the lyrics correctly, I'm not the biggest My Chemical Romance fan either.

It would be hard to miss it by more than you just missed it - it's the Misfits.

Unassisted
09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Here's a handy web site that will help you tell if the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has destroyed the earth yet. ;)

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

HotCorner
09-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Here's a handy web site that will help you tell if the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has destroyed the earth yet. ;)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

marcshoe
09-09-2008, 11:39 AM
As paranoid as the doomsday scenario is, it's working for me. I'm teaching tenth grade English, and today the students are beginning writing a paper about what they think the world will be like in fifty years. I've been throwing this idea out as one of many irrational possibilities.

Highlifeman21
09-09-2008, 11:42 AM

If you're gonna miss, miss by a lot!

Maybe MCR "borrowed" those lyrics from the Misfits, but I could have sworn they were in a song called "Astro Zombies".

M2
09-09-2008, 11:52 AM

Maybe MCR "borrowed" those lyrics from the Misfits, but I could have sworn they were in a song called "Astro Zombies".

That's a cover of a Misfits song, one of their more popular tunes at that. I actually had no idea MCR had covered it.

SunDeck
09-09-2008, 11:54 AM

This is not the advice I want from a golf pro.

:)

Johnny Footstool
09-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Easy mistake. The whiteface and black eyeliner can fool you.

http://feedlandia.no.sapo.pt/misfits.gif

http://celebrity-pics.movieeye.com/celebrity_pictures/_My_Chemical_Romance_294400.jpg

gm
09-09-2008, 04:47 PM
There is only one answer to this experiment...the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

Highlifeman21
09-09-2008, 04:53 PM
This is not the advice I want from a golf pro.

:)

Typically my advice on the range is "swing hard, in case you hit it".

Highlifeman21
09-09-2008, 04:54 PM
That's a cover of a Misfits song, one of their more popular tunes at that. I actually had no idea MCR had covered it.

So does this mean we're both right?

marcshoe
09-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Turns out I had a kid in one of my afternoon classes who knew what this was all about and explained why the idea was nonsense.

HumnHilghtFreel
09-09-2008, 05:06 PM

LOL that's pretty funny.

Roy Tucker
09-09-2008, 05:33 PM
There is only one answer to this experiment...the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe!

Universe v2.0

Yachtzee
09-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Actually, five minutes before the LHC is scheduled to be turned on, the Earth will be destroyed by a Vogon construction crew for a new intergalactic bypass. Say, has anyone seen my towel? ;)

RFS62
09-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Don't panic.

M2
09-09-2008, 05:51 PM
So does this mean we're both right?

I suppose it does.

HumnHilghtFreel
09-10-2008, 03:53 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26439957/

For those interested, it appears that they have successfully fired the first stream of atoms around the tunnel. However, there were no collisions in this test, that will come the next time they fire the machine.

KittyDuran
09-10-2008, 05:12 AM

For those interested, it appears that they have successfully fired the first stream of atoms around the tunnel. However, there were no collisions in this test, that will come the next time they fire the machine.I was thinking about this as I woke up... Europe is at least 5 hours ahead of the Eastern US - so some tests were probably done while we were asleep.

kpresidente
09-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Today can't be the end of the world.

Everybody knows the world ends on December 21, 2012.

Matt700wlw
09-10-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm ready. :cool:

MrCinatit
09-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Hey, since the world will be ending soon, I am sure anyone with any pre-1070s baseball cards will no longer need them and won't mind at all sending them my way.

westofyou
09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
It's over Bring on 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/science/11collider.html?partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

marcshoe
09-10-2008, 12:12 PM
My understanding was that the black holes this creates may not swallow the world for another century or so. It doesn't really matter, though. None of us are real; we're all just creations of some alien's sleeping mind.

RFS62
09-10-2008, 03:31 PM
None of us are real; we're all just creations of some alien's sleeping mind.

Finally the voice of reason through all this.

:cool:

Roy Tucker
09-10-2008, 04:18 PM
None of us are real; we're all just creations of some alien's sleeping mind.

1QPll-TKaEE

nate
09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Hey, if it ended for anyone, can you post what it's like?

Unless it's premium content, then just summarize, please.

Degenerate39
09-10-2008, 04:29 PM

I've seen worse.

RichRed
09-10-2008, 04:48 PM

There's a great restaurant here.

nate
09-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Say "hi" to Hotblack Desiato.

Make mine a Jynnan Tonnyx.

SunDeck
09-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Hey, since the world will be ending soon, I am sure anyone with any pre-1070s baseball cards will no longer need them and won't mind at all sending them my way.

Well, here's one- maybe not quite what you're looking for:

http://slumberland.org/sca/articles/medievalbaseball.jpg

westofyou
09-10-2008, 05:43 PM
http://www.azsnakepit.com/2008/9/10/611450/apocalypse-now-or-how-the

Apocalypse Now, or how the Diamondbacks prevented the end of the world as we know it

Mrsnakepit_tiny by Jim McLennan on Sep 10, 2008 10:44 AM EDT

12:15 am. Scientists activate Large Hadron Collider on Swiss-French border.

12:20 am. High-energy collision of sub-atomic particles create voracious black-hole, which threatens to swallow entire planet.

12:25 am. Gurgling Vortex of Astrophysical Suck meets Gurgling Vortex of Diamondbacks suck.

12:30 am. Black hole realizes it cannot possibly compete with recent Arizona results in terms of pure, undlluted suckage, and evaporates in shower of extremely-embarrassed radiation.

12:35 am. Jon Rauch eats the remnants. Catastrophe averted!

MrCinatit
09-10-2008, 05:56 PM

I hear the guy who is the lounge act keeps acting like he is the king or something, though.

KittyDuran
09-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Well, here's one- maybe not quite what you're looking for:

http://slumberland.org/sca/articles/medievalbaseball.jpg:D:D:D

Actually, I thought of the Bayeux Tapestry (Battle of Hastings in 1066).

Yachtzee
09-10-2008, 07:44 PM
:D:D:D

Actually, I thought of the Bayeux Tapestry (Battle of Hastings in 1066).

I wonder how much a William the Conqueror Rookie Card would go for.

KittyDuran
09-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I wonder how much a William the Conqueror Rookie Card would go for.Not much, too common, everybody wanted one... now a Harold of Wessex card with a misprint title "King of England"... priceless! :beerme:

SunDeck
09-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Well, it's Thursday. Seems like the afterlife is a lot like regular life.

Degenerate39
09-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Well, it's Thursday. Seems like the afterlife is a lot like regular life.

Guess I didn't make it to heaven

MrCinatit
09-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Since we do not truly know what happens when a black hole is created, perhaps the experiment was a failure and we are all caught in its vortex, but do not realize.
For all I know, I've repeated this day 5 billion times so far.

*BaseClogger*
09-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Guess I didn't make it to heaven

Do the Reds still lose in heaven?

RedsFan75
09-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Naw, we must be in H*ll cause the Cubs are still leading the division and the Reds are still losing.

Degenerate39
09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Do the Reds still lose in heaven?

God is an Angels fan/ Padres fan so they don't make it to the World Series very often :p:

gm
09-11-2008, 07:41 PM

For those interested, it appears that they have successfully fired the first stream of atoms around the tunnel. However, there were no collisions in this test, that will come the next time they fire the machine.

Just wait until Wayne Szalinski gets ahold of this machine, next weekend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey,_I_Blew_Up_the_Kid

gm
09-11-2008, 08:55 PM
http://www.azsnakepit.com/2008/9/10/611450/apocalypse-now-or-how-the

Apocalypse Now, or how the Diamondbacks prevented the end of the world as we know it

Mrsnakepit_tiny by Jim McLennan on Sep 10, 2008 10:44 AM EDT

Tomorrow's headline: The Cincinnati Reds travel to Phoenix to fall prey to the Gurgling Vortex of Diamondback's suckitude

wolfboy
09-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Holy crap! I can't believe the world ended and I completely missed it! I always miss the big stuff.

Unassisted
09-11-2008, 11:45 PM

After you've checked on the status of the earth, here is a link to a page with a couple of LHC webcams (http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html). These should provide even more assurance that the LHC is functioning normally.

;)

Highlifeman21
09-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Anyone else think of this while all this scientific experiment stuff was goin' on in Europe? I know of at least 1 dude who did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg

MrCinatit
09-12-2008, 04:16 AM
After you've checked on the status of the earth, here is a link to a page with a couple of LHC webcams (http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html). These should provide even more assurance that the LHC is functioning normally.

;)

:clap:

KittyDuran
09-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Oops...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/09/20/hadron.collider.damage.ap/

MrCinatit
09-20-2008, 07:47 AM
So the collider is going to be down for two months? Hamstring or rotator cuff?

GAC
09-20-2008, 05:24 PM
The rabbit died.

http://nxtbot.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/energizer-bunny.jpg