PDA

View Full Version : Roenicke has pedigree to shine

OnBaseMachine
09-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Roenicke has pedigree to shine
Reliever is top prospect among September callups
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- Few September callups are likely more prepared than the Reds' Josh Roenicke for the sensation of walking into a Major League clubhouse for the first time.

Roenicke, a flamethrowing reliever and prospect, grew up around the game. His father, Gary Roenicke, was an outfielder with the Orioles. Uncle Ron Roenicke also played in the Majors.

"It's different coming in here as a player," said Roenicke, who was among seven players from Triple-A Louisville to join the Reds on Tuesday. "Every baseball player works to get right here. They're giving me an opportunity right now, and it's real exciting. I'm looking forward to the experience, and hopefully it will carry me to next year."

In 57 appearances combined with Double-A Chattanooga and Louisville, Roenicke was 6-2 with a 2.80 ERA with 26 walks, 71 strikeouts and 13 saves.

A right-hander possessing a 98-mph fastball that makes him the organization's hardest thrower, Roenicke impressed during Spring Training.

"He wasn't scared, No. 1," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "Him being the son of a former Major League player, he's probably not intimidated about being in the big leagues. He grew up in this setting. He was a football player, so you know he's tougher than most. And he has a good fastball. It will take you a long ways."

Despite his solid first big league camp, Roenicke was sent back to Double-A out of Spring Training with instructions to work on throwing his offspeed pitches for strikes. He also has a curveball and changeup in his repertoire.

With Chattanooga, Roenicke had a 3.27 ERA while hitters batted .253 against him. Once promoted to Louisville, he had a 2.54 ERA and the opposition average dipped to .234.

"I knew I had to focus," Roenicke said. "There were a lot better hitters and veterans up there in Triple-A. Things started clicking a lot more up there. I was more successful there than Double-A. My Dad would tell me that a lot of hitters are at Triple-A because they can't hit offspeed or breaking balls. They're all fastball hitters. My fastball is my go-to pitch, so I need to throw offspeed for strikes to show them, and then it makes my fastball more effective."

A good showing this month could put Roenicke into better position to compete for a set-up role in next year's bullpen.

Among rookies, Roenicke is older than most at 26. That's partially because his pitching career didn't really get going until his senior season at UCLA. Before that, he played football, and was quarterback as a freshman before converting to wide receiver for two years.

After the third year, Roenicke concentrated solely on baseball but split time as an outfielder and a closer. The Reds made him a 10th-round pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft.

"I always tell people, my age doesn't say young, but my arm is still young and I feel young," Roenicke said. "That's all that matters, I guess."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080909&content_id=3444195&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

RedlegJake
09-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Roenicke is one of the keys to the 2009 Reds, imo. If he can pitch well and take his spot alongside a healthy Burton, next year's pen just got immeasurably better. If one of the young lefties could kick down the door to the pen, too, it could be very, very good.

Team Clark
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
"My Dad would tell me that a lot of hitters are at Triple-A because they can't hit offspeed or breaking balls. They're all fastball hitters. My fastball is my go-to pitch, so I need to throw offspeed for strikes to show them, and then it makes my fastball more effective."

Someone forgot to tell Todd Coffey that little secret too.

OnBaseMachine
09-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Roenicke thrown into fire early
Rookie faces tough situation in first big league game
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

PHOENIX -- The warmth of the Arizona desert had nothing on the heat Josh Roenicke was exposed to for his Major League debut on Saturday.

The Reds reliever was summoned by manager Dusty Baker while Diamondbacks runners were on second and third with two outs in the seventh. Oh yeah, the game was on the line, too. The score was 1-1.

"I figured I'd be able to start an inning off for my first one, which I think [Baker] was hoping for," Roenicke said. "I got warm to go in the seventh if we scored."

The Reds didn't score, and Baker wanted to keep Edinson Volquez in the game in an effort to get him 17 wins. But Volquez gave up a leadoff double and a walk. Left-hander Jeremy Affeldt got two outs and Baker needed a right-hander. He called for Roenicke.

"If you're going to come in with men on base, that's one of the best scenarios you can get," Baker said in defending the daring move. "It's one of the things we have to find out what he can do in that situation for next year."

Roenicke struggled with his command and walked first batter Chris Young on four pitches to load the bases. Adam Dunn was hit by a 2-0 pitch that forced in the go-ahead run. Roenicke struck out Mark Reynolds to get out of the jam with no more runs crossing. The Reds were able to come back and win, 3-2, in 10 innings.

"I came in here and watched it afterwards," Roenicke said. "I felt I was yanking the ball a little bit, and obviously nerves came into play. But I wasn't missing up. I was missing down, which means I wasn't overthrowing it, which I didn't want to do. I wanted to be relaxed and focused."

Among rookies, Roenicke is a little older at 26. He posted a 2.80 ERA in 57 appearances combined this season at Double-A Chattanooga and Triple-A Louisville before his first big league callup on Monday.

Roenicke had several family members and friends at the game, including his father Gary -- a former Major League outfielder. Roenicke kept his strikeout ball and Baker gave him the lineup card from the game as a souvenir.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080914&content_id=3474349&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin