PDA

View Full Version : $5 a gallon

FutureRedsGM
09-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Getting word in Louisville that some gas stations have already hit $5 a gallon today. Just a heads up . . .

Boston Red
09-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Ryder Cup mania mixed with Ike.

FutureRedsGM
09-12-2008, 12:56 PM
It was $3.65 this morning. And it's not just Louisville. South Carolina is reporting over $5 a gallon as well.

durl
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Everybody panic!!! :runaway:

A leader on the other side of the world could hiccup and speculators would drive oil prices up $30 a barrel. Sure, the hurricane could do some damage to our refinery potential, but it just shows how it would be in our best interest to increase our energy output and refinery capacity. There are no hurricanes in Alaska.

cumberlandreds
09-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Nothing but pure gouging. I'm sure this over Hurrican Ike.

HotCorner
09-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Fuel prices rise as Ike bears down on Texas coast
By MADLEN READ – 1 hour ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Crude oil and gasoline prices bounced higher Friday as Hurricane Ike swept through Gulf of Mexico, prompting companies along the Texas coast to shut down refining and drilling operations.

Ike is forecast to land early Saturday as a Category 3 hurricane near Galveston, a barrier island about 50 miles southeast of Houston. The Houston region is home to about one-fifth of U.S. refining capacity, and the site of a major fuel and grain distribution channel.

Wholesale gasoline prices on the Gulf Coast moved even further into uncharted territory to around $4.85 a gallon, as refineries anticipated that Ike would incur at least a significant pause in their operations, and at worst severe damage to their facilities.

On Thursday, Gulf Coast wholesale gasoline last traded at around $4.75 a gallon, said Ben Brockwell, director of data pricing and information services. That was up substantially from about $3.25 on Wednesday and less than $3 on Tuesday.

Wholesale prices are what refineries charge retailers before they get marked up further for the consumer.

"The path of the storm has put the entire supply chain under stress from the refinery level all the way to the retail station level," Brockwell said. "Hopefully it's a temporary phenomenon, but we won't know until next week."

October gasoline futures climbed 6.52 cents to $2.8140 a gallon on Nymex, while the average U.S. retail price for gasoline edged up less than a penny to $3.675 a gallon, according to auto club AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express.

Light, sweet crude for October delivery rose 62 cents to $101.49 a barrel in late morning trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The contract fell $1.71 to settle at $100.87 on Thursday after dropping as low as $100.10 per barrel. The last time Nymex crude traded below the $100 mark was April 2.

Exxon Mobil Corp., Valero Energy Corp., ConocoPhillips and Marathon Oil Co. have begun halting operations as the Category 2 hurricane headed straight for the nation's biggest complex of refineries and petrochemical plants. U.S. wholesale gasoline prices spiked 30 percent Thursday.

As of Thursday, about 97 percent of crude production and 93 percent of natural gas production in the Gulf were shuttered, according to the Department of the Interior's Minerals Management Service.

Early Friday, the storm was centered about 370 miles southeast of Galveston, Texas, moving to the west-northwest at 12 mph. Top sustained winds were 100 mph. Ike is huge, taking up nearly 40 percent of the Gulf of Mexico. The National Hurricane Center said tropical storm-force winds of at least 39 mph extended across more than 510 miles.

Ike and last week's Hurricane Gustav have helped to stanch a sharp downturn in oil prices. Concerns over slowing economic growth on a global scale and a strengthening U.S. dollar have led funds to liquidate their commodities holdings, pushing crude prices down about 30 percent from their record $147.27 set on July 11.

"Oil demand on a global basis is quite pessimistic," said Tetsu Emori, a commodity markets fund manager with ASTMAZ Futures Co. in Tokyo. "If it wasn't hurricane season, crude would be under $100 already."

And storms can dampen demand even more, by disrupting the local economy, power plants, and electrical distribution systems.

Amid a much slower U.S. economy that caused June fuel demand to fall more than 5 percent from the same period a year ago, many market watchers are expecting oil prices to resume their tumble.

"With demand being down as much as it is, the market, some argue, is a bit oversupplied," said Stephen Maloney, a senior consultant in energy risk management at Towers Perrin. "When you ask, how does Ike affect things? Its impacts are going to be in the context of lower demand for products than a year ago."

In other Nymex trading, October heating oil futures rose 2.50 cents to $2.9405 a gallon. Natural gas for October delivery rose 32.7 cents to $7.575 per 1,000 cubic feet.

In London, October Brent crude rose 28 cents to $97.92 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange, after closing at a six-month low in the previous trading session.

Associated Press writers Alex Kennedy in Singapore and Louise Watt in London contributed to this report.

SunDeck
09-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Interesting how the price of fuel climbs for stuff that already in the tanks at the station. You can't tell me someone's not taking advantage of the situation.

dougdirt
09-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Interesting how the price of fuel climbs for stuff that already in the tanks at the station. You can't tell me someone's not taking advantage of the situation.

Oh I could tell you that.... but I would be lying to you.

Heath
09-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Yep. Welcome to capitalism.

JaxRed
09-12-2008, 02:48 PM
I bet you these claims are BS.....

Edit - Just did price search on Louisville, and all stations with curent price reports are below $4.00

gilpdawg
09-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Nothing's changed here in West Central Ohio. It's 3.52 (for cash, 3.57 posted price) at my usual place and has been for a couple of weeks now.

Rojo
09-12-2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/09/10/oil-speculation.html

durl
09-12-2008, 03:12 PM

That's not proof of gouging.

A gas station doesn't charge customers based upon what they paid for the gas in the underground tanks, they charge them based upon what it's going to cost them to REFILL those tanks.

Highlifeman21
09-12-2008, 03:26 PM

A gas station doesn't charge customers based upon what they paid for the gas in the underground tanks, they charge them based upon what it's going to cost them to REFILL those tanks.

Ding ding ding.

That's the basic gist of gas station pricing.

Blimpie
09-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I heard that the Governor of Kentucky recently declared a "state of emergency" due to the escalation in fuel prices. Apparently, by doing so, the Commonwealth Attorney General's office is granted special investigative powers.

This spells bad news for all those opportunistic gas station owners who think that they can stick it to drivers this weekend and will not be punished.

SunDeck
09-12-2008, 03:30 PM

I didn't use the term "gouge". Anyway, you are not completely correct; they charge based on the anticipated cost of refilling those tanks. Let's say the hurricane causes little or no damage to pipelines and the supply chain, yet we've just all paid 10% more for gasoline for two weeks. You think they will give that money back?

Oil companies have used that as an excuse for years- "But we have all those refineries and they may be damaged". While I don't discount that entirely, I don't buy it 100% either.

HotCorner
09-12-2008, 03:49 PM
On Thursday, Gulf Coast wholesale gasoline last traded at around $4.75 a gallon, said Ben Brockwell, director of data pricing and information services. That was up substantially from about $3.25 on Wednesday and less than $3 on Tuesday.

Wholesale prices are what refineries charge retailers before they get marked up further for the consumer.

Here's the basis of the price increase. Wholesale prices have skyrocketed this week from $3 on Tuesday to $4.75 today based soley on speculation of Hurricane Ike.

If anyone is gouging, it's the traders/speculators.

durl
09-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I didn't use the term "gouge". Anyway, you are not completely correct; they charge based on the anticipated cost of refilling those tanks. Let's say the hurricane causes little or no damage to pipelines and the supply chain, yet we've just all paid 10% more for gasoline for two weeks. You think they will give that money back?

Oil companies have used that as an excuse for years- "But we have all those refineries and they may be damaged". While I don't discount that entirely, I don't buy it 100% either.

"Anticipated" is correct. It's just that the "anticipated" cost is essentially the actual cost.

This is actually a good example of how the US could reduce and stabilize oil prices if drilling domestically would be approved. Drilling offshore would increase supply. Drilling in ANWR would provide a hurricane-proof resource. Having a reliable source of energy would ward off many of these short-term spikes in prices.

Reds Freak
09-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Sure, the hurricane could do some damage to our refinery potential, but it just shows how it would be in our best interest to increase our energy output and refinery capacity. There are no hurricanes in Alaska.

IMO it would be in our best interests financially and environmentally to put our resources into reducing our dependency on oil rather than simply increasing our oil output...

wolfboy
09-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Maybe we should keep the discussion to the topic at hand: gas prices. It has the appearance of being less political than, say, energy policy.

Besides, as we all know, bears are the #1 threat facing this nation....not rising fuel prices.

Chip R
09-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Maybe we should keep the discussion to the topic at hand: gas prices. It has the appearance of being less political than, say, energy policy.

Thank you. Let's stick to the topic at hand, folks.

klw
09-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Here in Northern NH the price jumped 10 cents per gallon from yesterday at one local chain.

Matt700wlw
09-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Friend in Michigan called me and said he's seen some stations in the Battle Creek area at over $6 a gallon.

:eek:

deltachi8
09-12-2008, 05:17 PM

Besides, as we all know, bears are the #1 threat facing this nation....not rising fuel prices.

I thought it was packs of wild dogs that run most american cities?

KronoRed
09-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Nothing but pure gouging. I'm sure this over Hurrican Ike.

Yep, the guilty should be thrown in jail.

Crooks.

deltachi8
09-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Even if the hurrican does no significant damage to refineries and oil platforms in the gulf, they have been shut down from production to prepare for the storm. The Exxon/Mobil refinery near Houston has been down since yesterday (possibly Wednesday) - and that is a huge refinery.

Gas (if you could find it) here in North East Houston was about $3.50-$3.70 depending on the station and who actually had supply.

klw
09-12-2008, 05:57 PM
I thought it was packs of wild dogs that run most american cities?

Coyotes

SandyD
09-12-2008, 09:10 PM
not to mention that a lot of offshore rigs were evacuated for Gustav just recently.

I filled my tank at $3.69 tonight. My brother delivers gas to gas stations, and he said the WHOLESALE price of gas is $5/gal here right now. Some stations are just closing rather than pay the price.

DUNN'KD
09-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Thank you. Let's stick to the topic at hand, folks.

How are energy policy and gas prices not related? Political or not they are directly related.

"DRILL HERE, DRILL NOW!!!!"

deltachi8
09-12-2008, 11:44 PM
How are energy policy and gas prices not related? Political or not they are directly related.

Great way to get a thread closed.

Unassisted
09-13-2008, 01:01 AM
20% of US fuel production happens within the general vicinity of the Houston ship channel. Removing 20% of the capacity to produce any commodity for an uncertain period of time is bound to shake up the market for that commodity.

Jpup
09-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Gas went from 3.48 to 3.99 today where I live. It's BS, but you have to pay it or stay home. I can't afford to do either. :)

Caseyfan21
09-13-2008, 04:33 AM
20% of US fuel production happens within the general vicinity of the Houston ship channel. Removing 20% of the capacity to produce any commodity for an uncertain period of time is bound to shake up the market for that commodity.

Exactly. Most of the refineries in the Houston area have been completely shut down. They haven't even left crews there...they have been completely evacuated. It's a bad situation.

NJReds
09-13-2008, 07:41 AM
I paid $3.29 on Thursday night. My wife paid $3.31 on Friday morning. By Friday night, most stations were posting $3.69.

Chip R
09-13-2008, 08:35 AM

If you're smart enough, you can find a way to talk about gas prices and not get political.

Sea Ray
09-13-2008, 10:27 AM

I would believe that if when the crude price goes down, the prices went down just as quickly. In a case like this the price spikes immediately but when the refineries are up and going and wholesale prices stabilize the gas stations will be slow to adjust their prices downward.

Sea Ray
09-13-2008, 10:35 AM
"Anticipated" is correct. It's just that the "anticipated" cost is essentially the actual cost.

This is actually a good example of how the US could reduce and stabilize oil prices if drilling domestically would be approved. Drilling offshore would increase supply. Drilling in ANWR would provide a hurricane-proof resource. Having a reliable source of energy would ward off many of these short-term spikes in prices.

I'm all for drilling in ANWR but that wouldn't help in this situation unless you also build a refinery in Alaska. The main crisis here is in refining the oil into gasoline. If oil was the problem they could alleviate the crisis by releasing some of the strategic oil reserve but in this case i don't think that's the answer.

The bottomline here is this: If your gas station is still sellling sub $4 gasoline go fill up right now!

GAC
09-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Friend in Michigan called me and said he's seen some stations in the Battle Creek area at over $6 a gallon.

:eek:

That's to help offset the price for shipping out them Fruit Loops and Rice Krispies! :p:

DUNN'KD
09-13-2008, 11:00 AM
If you're smart enough, you can find a way to talk about gas prices and not get political.

Guess I'm a Idiot. Oh well.

DUNN'KD
09-13-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm all for drilling in ANWR but that wouldn't help in this situation unless you also build a refinery in Alaska. The main crisis here is in refining the oil into gasoline. If oil was the problem they could alleviate the crisis by releasing some of the strategic oil reserve but in this case i don't think that's the answer.

The bottomline here is this: If your gas station is still sellling sub $4 gasoline go fill up right now!

dude thats WAY too political. Tone it down.

Reds4Life
09-13-2008, 04:19 PM
It was $3.69 this morning, now it's $3.99.

Joy.

RedsManRick
09-13-2008, 04:29 PM
I understand what a burden this places on many people, however it's good to see that there is growing market pressure to encourage the development of other energy/fuel sources. In the long run, the American economy will be much stronger when it is free from a market controlled by countries whose political aims run contrary to our own.

It's a shame that as a society/country we couldn't motivate ourselves to break the dependence during the good times and that now a certain segment of our society is paying the price. It is nice to live in a large urban center which allows me to utilize public transit systems. Though it's pretty incredible how much utilization has gone up along side fuel prices -- to say nothing of the price of food and other products shipped in from afar.

Stephenk29
09-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Carlyle, IL

6.09 on the gallon

yikes.

joshnky
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
It was $3.69 this morning, now it's $3.99.

Joy.

Where I live in Louisville it has dropped about 10 cents throughout the day. We're back below $4/gallon which is about 20 cents higher than it was earlier in the week but lower than yesterday. It looks like the $5/gallon alarmists might have gotten ahead of themselves.

Joseph
09-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Where I live in Louisville it has dropped about 10 cents throughout the day. We're back below $4/gallon which is about 20 cents higher than it was earlier in the week but lower than yesterday. It looks like the $5/gallon alarmists might have gotten ahead of themselves.

Don't they always?

KronoRed
09-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Don't they always?

I think they enjoy it.

I saw 4.75 on the way up from NC yesterday and that is back down to 4.09, Diesel didn't move a penny and I could almost hear the truckers laughing at the panic of the car goers ;)

LoganBuck
09-13-2008, 10:21 PM
I am considering converting my truck to a water hybrid. A local welding shop owner did that to his truck identical to mine. He claims he went from 11-12 mpg, to 17-19 mpg. That would allow me to buy gas less than one time a month. Has anybody else heard about that or tried it. He claims that he has to reload the water and baking soda every 120 miles.

Razor Shines
09-14-2008, 12:01 AM
I am considering converting my truck to a water hybrid. A local welding shop owner did that to his truck identical to mine. He claims he went from 11-12 mpg, to 17-19 mpg. That would allow me to buy gas less than one time a month. Has anybody else heard about that or tried it. He claims that he has to reload the water and baking soda every 120 miles.

Are you gonna get a kit or do you know how to do it yourself? I'm kind of skeptical of kits that look like this:

http://water4gas.com/images/p389new.jpg

LoganBuck
09-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Believe it or not that is the basic kit that I saw installed. I will probably not do it till spring because I don't want to deal with freezing temps and the water. This guy seems to think it works.

Razor Shines
09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Believe it or not that is the basic kit that I saw installed. I will probably not do it till spring because I don't want to deal with freezing temps and the water. This guy seems to think it works.

I would probably be a lot less skeptical if I'd seen it put to use also. That's pretty cool that you can make that conversion for around 200 bucks. Keep us updated if you do go ahead and make the change. I'm gonna talk to some of my friends that are mechanics to see what they think about it.

OldRightHander
09-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I think they enjoy it.

I saw 4.75 on the way up from NC yesterday and that is back down to 4.09, Diesel didn't move a penny and I could almost hear the truckers laughing at the panic of the car goers ;)

:thumbup::laugh:

Diesel should cost less than gas anyway since it's cheaper to refine.

toledodan
09-14-2008, 04:53 PM
paid $4.27 this morning just west of indy and topped it off in missouri at $3.59.

Raisor
09-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Bought a couple of gallons at 4.08 today here in the South Atlanta Metro area to get my through a couple of days before prices go down (hopefully)

wolfboy
09-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I would probably be a lot less skeptical if I'd seen it put to use also. That's pretty cool that you can make that conversion for around 200 bucks. Keep us updated if you do go ahead and make the change. I'm gonna talk to some of my friends that are mechanics to see what they think about it.

Sounds like a good way to get your warranty voided (if applicable).

BRM
09-15-2008, 12:54 PM
:thumbup::laugh:

Diesel should cost less than gas anyway since it's cheaper to refine.

No kidding. It always was cheaper until a few years ago too.

ABEsolutely
09-15-2008, 01:25 PM
My dad (a mechanic) and his mechanic buddies put kits like that on their vehicles. They had an inservice taught by someone who said he doubled his mileage on a Honda Accord with that exact kit. My dad has gained about 1 or 2 mpg but says "it runs much better" and "i'm still tweaking it." I think he's a little disappointed

LoganBuck
09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
My dad (a mechanic) and his mechanic buddies put kits like that on their vehicles. They had an inservice taught by someone who said he doubled his mileage on a Honda Accord with that exact kit. My dad has gained about 1 or 2 mpg but says "it runs much better" and "i'm still tweaking it." I think he's a little disappointed

Having read a little about this, I wonder one of two things:

1. Are they using Distilled Water, apparently it makes a difference?
2. Have they adjusted their O2 sensors? Supposedly the sensors detect less gas vapor, and adjust the fuel intake upwards.

My Dad and I are going to do this to the old farm truck first. But it will probably be in the spring.

ABEsolutely
09-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah he uses only distilled water. And that's what he's always tweaking--the sensors.

Caveat Emperor
09-15-2008, 02:35 PM
In the long run, the American economy will be much stronger when it is free from a market controlled by countries whose political aims run contrary to our own.

In the short run, it's killing me on my commute to-and-from work.

"Good of the many" be damned -- I'm sick of paying close to $5 per day in gas just to get to work.

Roy Tucker
09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
That water thing is interesting. I'd never heard of it.

The only way out of this mess is to invent our way out. If there is one thing us Americans can do, it's come up with new cool ways of doing things. Just need to make it financially more viable.

But the Saudis and petro cartels now know where the pain point is for the price of oil. Under that price, us Americans will keep our heads in the sand and keep using gasoline. Above it, we start figuring out new ways to get around it.

Cyclone792
09-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Hopped on the 18-speed bicycle and headed up to the nearby plazas to take a look at the chaos. This Shell station is one of the few gas stations open in the area. Prices were $3.99 this morning for regular unleaded; they spiked up to $4.19 this afternoon. From what I've heard, the line of cars waiting for gas at this station has been nonstop all day. I remember seeing a tanker there a few days ago, but I still expect them to run out of gas anytime.

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/5343/0915081536st1.jpg

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1948/0915081533ri4.jpg

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6877/0915081538ll3.jpg

Cyclone792
09-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Prices are starting to soar, and the gouging is starting to begin.

There's a Marathon in Clifton that's now listed at $4.58 gallon. Stations are spiking their prices to get what they can out of people and to also try to avoid running out of gas. Quite a bit of gas station profits actually come from all the overpriced garbage they sell inside (food, coffee, beer, cigarettes, etc.). If a station runs out of gas, people won't stop and their sales of the overpriced garbage inside will disappear.

M2
09-15-2008, 07:25 PM
I must be missing something. I paid $3.59 on Friday and prices were in the $3.60s this morning.

How can it be over $5.00 anywhere in the country if it's mid-$3.00s here?

BuckeyeRed27
09-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Yeah is this just an Ohio thing? It's around $3.80 in LA but that's normal.

RedsManRick
09-15-2008, 07:47 PM
I must be missing something. I paid $3.59 on Friday and prices were in the $3.60s this morning.

More demand? Less supply? Where's "here", M2?

In downtown Chicago, it's around $4.50 compared to about $4.10 in the burbs.

M2
09-15-2008, 08:11 PM
More demand? Less supply? Where's "here", M2?

In downtown Chicago, it's around $4.50 compared to about $4.10 in the burbs.

Boston, hardly the home of low prices.

It's more than a wee bit fascinating that these price spikes seem to be regional.

Cyclone792
09-15-2008, 08:12 PM

One week ago from right now, that Shell station from above had gas at $3.54. Prices have gone from $3.54 --> $3.79 --> $3.99 --> $4.19 since Tuesday afternoon last week at that station. The $3.79 spike occurred Tuesday, then up to $3.99 Friday, and finally up to $4.19 (and higher) today.

Ike blasting the gulf coast started that gas spike last week, and now there's currently a major blackout in the Cincinnati area that's been ongoing since yesterday afternoon's wind debacle (remnants of Ike + another front = 70-80mph wind gusts). I'm just guessing, but I'd say that roughly 75-80 percent of the region here is still without power and hasn't had power in about 30 hours. I've had power all along, but I'm one of the few.

http://www.duke-energy.com/externaldata/midwestoutages/maps/CGEmap.htm

Anyhow, a significant portion of gas stations are out of service due to no power. The stations that do have power and can supply gas have been seeing long lines of traffic all day, some people waiting two hours or more for gas, and now most of those stations are starting to run out of gas.

The bad thing is it could be a couple more days before most of the region has power so things will likely only worsen in regards to fuel supply and prices.

By the way, it's kind of funny that there's been little mention of the Cincinnati blackout in the national news media today.

BuckeyeRed27
09-15-2008, 08:26 PM
One week ago from right now, that Shell station from above had gas at $3.54. Prices have gone from $3.54 --> $3.79 --> $3.99 --> $4.19 since Tuesday afternoon last week at that station. The $3.79 spike occurred Tuesday, then up to $3.99 Friday, and finally up to $4.19 (and higher) today.

Ike blasting the gulf coast started that gas spike last week, and now there's currently a major blackout in the Cincinnati area that's been ongoing since yesterday afternoon's wind debacle (remnants of Ike + another front = 70-80mph wind gusts). I'm just guessing, but I'd say that roughly 75-80 percent of the region here is still without power and hasn't had power in about 30 hours. I've had power all along, but I'm one of the few.

http://www.duke-energy.com/externaldata/midwestoutages/maps/CGEmap.htm

Anyhow, a significant portion of gas stations are out of service due to no power. The stations that do have power and can supply gas have been seeing long lines of traffic all day, some people waiting two hours or more for gas, and now most of those stations are starting to run out of gas.

The bad thing is it could be a couple more days before most of the region has power so things will likely only worsen in regards to fuel supply and prices.

By the way, it's kind of funny that there's been little mention of the Cincinnati blackout in the national news media today.

Wow. I had no idea

SandyD
09-15-2008, 10:00 PM

I think the highest I've seen is $3.79, but I've seen a lot of stations who have removed the price from their signs ... so you don't know how much until you get to the pump.

Caveat Emperor
09-16-2008, 12:07 AM
I think the highest I've seen is $3.79, but I've seen a lot of stations who have removed the price from their signs ... so you don't know how much until you get to the pump.

Around here, that seems to be universal sign for "We're out of gas, keep driving."

A lot of Panicky Petes out there today -- I filled up this morning on my way into work with no problem and noticed many gas stations on my drive home with gas under $4 and normal traffic around the pumps.

SandyD
09-16-2008, 12:10 AM
The place I usually get gas is near my home ... made me nervous when I saw bags on all but one of the pumps. But they got a delivery soon after.

We haven't had any shortages yet, tho.

durl
09-16-2008, 09:02 AM

It can depend on your location and if there are refineries in your region of the country. California has quite a few refineries that serve the area.

Ltlabner
09-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Hopped on the 18-speed bicycle and headed up to the nearby plazas to take a look at the chaos.

I've not headed out yet (power was off all day yesterday and I spent the day cleaning up part of the yard) to see the carnage. Thanks for the pictures.

Silly us. We filled up our cars when we heard the storm was coming. And I keep 5 gallons of extra gas out in the shed "just in case" all the time.

Of coruse, now that I'm getting cocky an "aftershock" wind will blow the roof off my house.

Roy Tucker
09-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah, we just got power back on after being out for 40 hours.

The paper this AM said there are 15 terminals in the general area that receive gas and pump it into delivery trucks. 12 of them don't have power so they are down. Most gas stations have run out of the gas.

I think people panic. If I had no gas, I wouldn't have had any choice but get in those long lines. But we've got 1/2 tanks in our cars and that's good enough for now. Plus we're only driving when we have to. People just need to cooperate. Either we all hang together or we'll all hang seperately.

bucksfan2
09-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Im sorry this is price gouging at is finest. If the gas stations were really worried about their supply they would have jacked prices up to around $8/gallon for inventory protection. What they did was jack the prices up so they could gouge the consumer more and more.

Oil is almost below 90 a barrel and doesn't show any signs of stopping. The refineries are back on line in Texas. I have a half of tank and my wife just filled up yesterday. Hopefully we can make it until the prices drop back to normal. It is a shame that in a time where 75% of people are out of power station owners see it as their chance to make extra money.

joshnky
09-16-2008, 11:32 AM
While I'm sure there is some price gouging here, what you're really seeing is two different market pressures driving up prices. First, the supplies have decreased due to the temporary shutdown of refineries which drives up the wholesale price of gasoline to prevent a shortage. If they kept selling at the same rate with reduced supplies the wholesalers would sell out which would create other issues for the consumer. Second, locally we're seeing a reduction in the supply of gas stations due to power outages. This combined with the panic mentality which has led some to stockpile gas, has caused the station owners with power to raise prices to reduce demand so that they can maintain supplies. Shutting down for two days because you continued to sell $3.50 gasoline when it takes $4.50 to refill your tanks is really not a wise business move.

The power outages have also given us a glimpse of what happens with increased regulation as some propose over the oil industry. People complain about an aging infrastructure and the lack of underground lines but there is no incentive for the power companies to make that investment. Their margins require the approval of the government and they're the only game in town so they see no need to plan for the future.

durl
09-16-2008, 11:39 AM
The power outages have also given us a glimpse of what happens with increased regulation as some propose over the oil industry. People complain about an aging infrastructure and the lack of underground lines but there is no incentive for the power companies to make that investment. Their margins require the approval of the government and they're the only game in town so they see no need to plan for the future.

Excellent point. We can learn a lot from disasters (and near-disasters) if we're willing to pay attention.

Rojo
09-16-2008, 01:33 PM
It can depend on your location and if there are refineries in your region of the country. California has quite a few refineries that serve the area.

I think this might be it. SF and LA are ringed by refineries. Jersey's chock full of 'em.

westofyou
09-16-2008, 01:55 PM
I think this might be it. SF and LA are ringed by refineries. Jersey's chock full of 'em.

I lived in Berkeley when the one in Richmond exploded, broke some windows in my neighborhood.

BTW gas is $3.69 here

M2
09-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Ohio has a deregulated power grid.

Massachusetts went for energy deregulation 10 years ago. Residential rates have risen 60% since then and our infrastructure is as dilapidated as ever.

Rojo
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM

Keep in mind, the oil companies' mission isn't to deliver oil, its to maximize profit. It's true of any corporation. Simplified, they'd rather sell 100 barrells of oil at $100/barrell than 1000 at $9.99/barrell.

LoganBuck
09-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Keep in mind, the oil companies' mission isn't to deliver oil, its to maximize profit. It's true of any corporation. Simplified, they'd rather sell 100 barrells of oil at $100/barrell than 1000 at $9.99/barrell.

Keep away from the political stuff.

This is about individual gas stations not "big oil"

Rojo
09-16-2008, 03:45 PM

What I meant to say was, "amen".

(That better?)

Ltlabner
09-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Drove past one station at the top of the hill on SR-32, bags over pumps and tumbleweeds blowing through.

Went to the Circle K at the bottom of the hill (just outside Newtown). Plenty of gas, no waiting. Topped off the tanks at $3.999

But then the UDF right down the street; bags over pumps.

Matt700wlw
09-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I was in that very UDF this morning....it's weird seeing some of these places OUT of gas.

The BP by the radio station was filling up when I was there a little while ago....people were waiting for the tanker truck to finish.

It was like a zoo.

All I went there was for a drink and a snack

kaldaniels
09-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Barrel of oil up 25 dollars today...all time one day advance.

RBA
10-02-2008, 02:12 PM
$2.99 a gallon at a NJ gas station.

http://newjerseygasprices.com/

deltachi8
10-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Paid $3.35 in Houston today

Roy Tucker
10-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Pretty nifty "gas temperature" map...

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

15fan
10-02-2008, 10:46 PM
that thing could double as a drought map.

RichRed
10-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Paid $3.29 in Norfolk this A.M.

RANDY IN INDY
10-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Still having trouble finding gas here in the Charlotte area.

aerontg
10-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Keep away from the political stuff.

This is about individual gas stations not "big oil"

Its not about 'political stuff'. It is called 'corporate greed'. Seemingly everyone knows that the big oil companies want to maximize their profits. This is not like every ma and pa gas station is setting their own prices, they're not (that I am aware of).

And to that guy in Kentucky who said that the gas station would rather raise prices in order discourage sales because they don't want to be shut down for two days, that isn't what I have been told by various gas station owners ;)

Consider this, the BREAD & BUTTER of the gas station IS the sales of their gas. So it would not make business sense at all raise prices now so you can sell at a lower price later. Otherwise, those gas stations that had run out of gas would stay open so you could buy your box of chocolate doughnuts and a small bottle of diet pepsi.

RANDY IN INDY
10-03-2008, 12:14 PM
For most of those stations, the gas is just the carrot to get folks in their stores to buy other things. Not many of the small "dealers" are making much money on the gasoline. It is a "penny" business for them where gas is concerned, but it is the thing that gets folks in the C-stores. They don't call them convenience stores for nothing, and the prices folks will pay for their inside items are accepted all in the name of convenience. The folks that are making the money on the gasoline are the major oil companies and to a much lesser extent, the jobbers that are sometimes in the middle. It is usually a struggle for the folks in the stations to make it. Here in Charlotte where the supply has been non existent for the past two weeks, the poor folks in the stations are sitting there with their parking lots empty, unable to sell their high priced items on the inside, where they really have to make their profits. The "company" stores are making it on both ends. Make no mistake. The greed lies at the top.

bucksfan2
10-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Its not about 'political stuff'. It is called 'corporate greed'. Seemingly everyone knows that the big oil companies want to maximize their profits. This is not like every ma and pa gas station is setting their own prices, they're not (that I am aware of).

And to that guy in Kentucky who said that the gas station would rather raise prices in order discourage sales because they don't want to be shut down for two days, that isn't what I have been told by various gas station owners ;)

Consider this, the BREAD & BUTTER of the gas station IS the sales of their gas. So it would not make business sense at all raise prices now so you can sell at a lower price later. Otherwise, those gas stations that had run out of gas would stay open so you could buy your box of chocolate doughnuts and a small bottle of diet pepsi.

The BREAD & BUTTER isn't exactly gas. Gas is what brings people into the store. The gas stations margins aren't great anymore and when you add in the extreme fluctuations of gas along with credit cards taking a bigger percentage, gas stations don't make much on gas. It is their biggest volume product but I would venture to say it isn't their most profitable. The pop, snacks, and coffee are going to be their money makers. The gas is how they draw people in but it isn't their profit vehicle.

TheOnlyRedsFan
10-06-2008, 08:34 AM
I just saw 3.19 this morning when returning home from work.

Sean_CaseyRules
10-06-2008, 08:58 AM
I just saw 3.19 this morning when returning home from work.

Anywhere near Otterbein perhaps? College kid needs to save every penny i can, haha.

Unassisted
10-06-2008, 09:25 AM
I've heard that there are a handful of stations at $2.99 here in the San Antonio area.

Chip R
10-06-2008, 09:27 AM
I've heard that there are a handful of stations at $2.99 here in the San Antonio area.

I didn't think I'd see the day that we'd be looking forward to $2.99 gas. :)

SandyD
10-06-2008, 09:47 AM
When I left New Orleans, I paid 3.49 (filled up last thurs night). On my way to Houston, I found the lowest price at 3.19 (baytown). There was a place in La. (exit 7 on I-10) had a station at 3.29.

The range I saw was then 3.19 - 3.69 (still) along I-10 from NOLA to Houston.

I'm headed home today, so I'll see if it's changed.

Sea Ray
10-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Pretty nifty "gas temperature" map...

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

That map seems to underestimate gas prices so far as I can tell. Gas prices here in SW Ohio are not $3.00-3.30

Cyclone792
10-06-2008, 09:58 AM
That map seems to underestimate gas prices so far as I can tell. Gas prices here in SW Ohio are not $3.00-3.30

Did you zoom in enough?

So far as I can tell it's estimating prices around here to be around $3.30 to $3.40, and that is accurate.

Sea Ray
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Did you zoom in enough?

So far as I can tell it's estimating prices around here to be around $3.30 to $3.40, and that is accurate.

I tried but the zoom didn't work. Could be my computer

remdog
10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Paid $3.39 today here in SoCal.

Rem

Will M
10-06-2008, 09:36 PM
oil prices are cratering as the global economy crashes. demand from China and India was a big factor in $4 a gallon gas. since China and India are slowing and the developed world is in recession gas prices are coming down.

KronoRed
10-06-2008, 09:43 PM
oil prices are cratering as the global economy crashes. demand from China and India was a big factor in $4 a gallon gas. since China and India are slowing and the developed world is in recession gas prices are coming down.

Awesome, we'll get great gas mileage on the way to the soup lines.:beerme:

remdog
10-06-2008, 10:34 PM

Yep. Pretty much supply/demand economics. Previously to the world-wide economic slowdown the cartels though that they had power over the free market---and they did to some degree.

Now, there is a fear within the cartel that they will have too much 'black gold' oozing out of the ground. (famous shrug) You can't eat it, you can't live in it and you can't wear it. If you can't sell it, well.....

Rem

goreds2
10-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Currently $3.15 a gallon for regular unleaded.

LoganBuck
10-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Awesome, we'll get great gas mileage on the way to the soup lines.:beerme:

mmm....soup!

deltachi8
10-07-2008, 09:58 PM
mmm....soup!

[newman voice] Mulligatawny! [/end newman voice]

Stephenk29
10-07-2008, 10:38 PM
3.38 in the cornfields of Illinois.

Seems to be the average around the country.

RedsFan75
10-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Lexington TV showed several stations at 3.09 this morning.

Course it's still 3.44 here in London, yet in Corbin 20miles south it's 3.28

Never understood that.

HotCorner
10-08-2008, 09:30 AM
3.14 this morning in Monroe on SR4

Unassisted
10-08-2008, 09:58 AM
We've got a station at $2.79 today. Apparently they have cars lined up down the street waiting to buy. It's a little cash-only convenience store.

Roy Tucker
10-13-2008, 11:57 AM
On our way back from a band competition, we got gas at $2.63 in Bowling Green OH.

SandyD
10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Lowest I've seen here is $3.09. Down from $3.49 a week ago.

Matt700wlw
10-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Under $3!

Maybe this was the master plan...screw up the economy so bad that gas prices get lower ;)

Ltlabner
10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
$2.89 on Beachmont this morning.

I wonder if all the people wringing their hands that the oil companies were "making too much" are now worried that the oil companies "aren't making enough"?

Somehow, I doubt it.

If there were any reason or logic involved in the fuel price hysteria there should be equal concern on both ends of the fuel price spectrum.

Rojo
10-13-2008, 03:18 PM
I wonder if all the people wringing their hands that the oil companies were "making too much" are now worried that the oil companies "aren't making enough"?

Somehow, I doubt it.

I'm not.

westofyou
10-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm not.

Me either.. poor oil company, poor them.. I just paid $3.20 for heating oil... you don't buy that stuff in 10 gallon batches either.

bucksfan2
10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
$2.89 on Beachmont this morning.

Somehow, I doubt it.

If there were any reason or logic involved in the fuel price hysteria there should be equal concern on both ends of the fuel price spectrum.

The ironic part about the oil companies is that anyone who has a 401K or a portfolio of mutual funds are likely vested in oil companies. Although I read a report that a country like Venezuela needs around $85-90 a barrel to operate its government. It feels nice to give Chavez a nice "up yours"!

Strikes Out Looking
10-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Still about $3.21 in the D.C. suburbs.

My neighbor is the guy in the U.S. government that forecasts future oil prices. Last week he told me that China didn't buy any oil during the month of September because they loaded up during the summer for the olympics--which of course is why we paid so much last summer.

He also told me that prices will probably start to rise again next Spring, even with the lousy economy.

Rojo
10-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Me either.. poor oil company, poor them.. I just paid $3.20 for heating oil... you don't buy that stuff in 10 gallon batches either.

Y'all do home heating oil up there? I thought that was just an east coast thing.

cumberlandreds
10-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Still about $3.21 in the D.C. suburbs.

My neighbor is the guy in the U.S. government that forecasts future oil prices. Last week he told me that China didn't buy any oil during the month of September because they loaded up during the summer for the olympics--which of course is why we paid so much last summer.

He also told me that prices will probably start to rise again next Spring, even with the lousy economy.

It's $2.89 in Sterling, Va, a DC suburb. Which burb are you in?

westofyou
10-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Y'all do home heating oil up there? I thought that was just an east coast thing.Nope, it's big up here.. I have a 500 gallon tank under my driveway that feeds my furnace which is also a converted coal furnace that is at least 85 years old, it's a scary looking thing, for me and especially kids.

After 20 years of California wall heaters I had to be thrown into this setup and I find it to be a pain in the arse. especially since oil was $1.18 a gallon 6 years ago and now it's over $3.

Unassisted
10-15-2008, 10:25 AM
One of the local Costco stations is down to $2.40 today. Yesterday, the lowest price in town was $2.53.

BRM
10-15-2008, 10:46 AM
It was at $2.88 in southern Indiana when I was there last week. It's $2.99 at a lot of stations here in Colorado Springs, mostly in the southern part of town.

HotCorner
10-15-2008, 12:38 PM
3.14 this morning in Monroe on SR4

It's now 2.54. A sixty cent drop in one week! :eek:

RedsFan75
10-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Wonder of Wonders! It's now 2.89 here in London!

Slyder
10-16-2008, 07:27 PM
3.19 in most of I64.

toledodan
10-16-2008, 07:46 PM
2.39 over the border in MO.:)

SandyD
10-17-2008, 12:44 AM
wow ... lowest I've seen so far in my area is $2.93 ... that was today.

cumberlandreds
10-17-2008, 07:06 AM
$2.75 in Sterling, VA. Dropped 14 cents in one day. Keep on coming down!

HeatherC1212
10-17-2008, 09:27 AM
I got gas for $2.59/gallon in Fairfield yesterday. :)

HotCorner
10-17-2008, 11:52 AM
It's now 2.54. A sixty cent drop in one week! :eek:

Now down to 2.48.

LoganBuck
10-17-2008, 12:46 PM
My in laws, left yesterday morning on their annual Christmas shopping/Fall Vacation trip to Gatlinburg. Since the price of gas was down they decided to take their Ford F150 Crew Cab 4X4 on the six hour drive instead of their Honda Accord. My head nearly exploded at their logic.

HotCorner
10-17-2008, 02:26 PM
My in laws, left yesterday morning on their annual Christmas shopping/Fall Vacation trip to Gatlinburg. Since the price of gas was down they decided to take their Ford F150 Crew Cab 4X4 on the six hour drive instead of their Honda Accord. My head nearly exploded at their logic.

Ugh.

bucksfan2
10-17-2008, 02:49 PM

I think if we see an extended period of lower gas prices more SUV's and Trucks will be sold. Its ironic that if you asked someone 5 years ago what they thought about $2.50/gallon gas you would get a completely different answer than you would today.

KronoRed
10-17-2008, 02:50 PM

Logic like that is why prices will spike back up, a big part of them dropping is people altering their driving habits, now like addicts they will go back to driving the gas guzzlers.

Woo.

15fan
10-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Logic like that is why prices will spike back up, a big part of them dropping is people altering their driving habits, now like addicts they will go back to driving the gas guzzlers.

Woo.

Or perhaps they thought that in the hills of Tennessee, it might be wise to have something with a little more power than a 4 cylinder Accord.

Ltlabner
10-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Or perhaps they thought that in the hills of Tennessee, it might be wise to have something with a little more power than a 4 cylinder Accord.

See, now there you go interjecting reasonable explinations into the discussion.

Besides, the directorate has determined that all subjects must drive Euro-skates. It's the only enlightened way to drive.

LoganBuck
10-17-2008, 03:31 PM
See, now there you go interjecting reasonable explinations into the discussion.

Besides, the directorate has determined that all subjects must drive Euro-skates. It's the only enlightened way to drive.

No they don't really go into the hilly parts. I just shake my head and go on. Hopefully I get something nice for Christmas from the trip. I asked for a new Weather Radio.

I paid 2.79 at Anna on Tuesday.

*BaseClogger*
10-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I paid $2.69 in Troy on my drive home to Michigan, and saw $2.65 in Piqua...

KronoRed
10-17-2008, 05:42 PM

Really? where was that stated in this thread?

Ltlabner
10-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Really? where was that stated in this thread?

Where did I state it was stated in the thread?

paintmered
10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Just as I was noting how fewer SUVs are on the road these days while driving on I-75 earlier today, an H2 passed me while doing about 85. I had not seen one of those things since April/May-ish.

10 mpg at $2.50/gallon is still pretty darn expensive to drive.

jimbo
10-19-2008, 10:57 PM
I paid $2.69 in Troy on my drive home to Michigan, and saw $2.65 in Piqua...

I saw $2.46 today in Troy.

OldRightHander
10-19-2008, 11:49 PM
I paid $3.35 today in Atlanta...for diesel.

Unassisted
10-20-2008, 12:03 AM
I was on the same side of town as a station selling regular unleaded for $2.35 today, so I drove a little bit out of the way to fill the tank there.

OSUredsFAN
10-20-2008, 12:24 AM
3.04 in the 'burbs of Chicago

KronoRed
10-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Just as I was noting how fewer SUVs are on the road these days while driving on I-75 earlier today, an H2 passed me while doing about 85. I had not seen one of those things since April/May-ish.

http://graphjam.com/2008/08/24/song-chart-memes-people-who-drive-hummers/

;)

*BaseClogger*
10-20-2008, 01:42 AM
I paid $2.35 in Findlay on the way back today. And then wouldn't you know it, good ol' Swifty down the street was $2.32. Swifty always has the best prices...

Mario-Rijo
10-20-2008, 02:04 AM
I paid $2.35 in Findlay on the way back today. And then wouldn't you know it, good ol' Swifty down the street was $2.32. Swifty always has the best prices...

But how's their gas, I once heard that it may be diluted? I don't know that I bought that but I did wonder how they could afford to undercut by so much at times.

Cyclone792
10-20-2008, 11:56 AM

I've noticed more people speeding excessively in the last few weeks now that prices have dropped a bit. And the SUVs and trucks are now out in a bit more force than they were during the summer too.

http://graphjam.com/2008/08/24/song-chart-memes-people-who-drive-hummers/

;)

:lol:

But how's their gas, I once heard that it may be diluted? I don't know that I bought that but I did wonder how they could afford to undercut by so much at times.

I typically buy strictly from top tier gas stations, which in the Cincy area is primarily Shell.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Top tier gas is usually slightly more expensive, but I don't mind paying a few extra cents per gallon to put in some gasoline with more additives that will help keep engine performance a bit higher.

LoganBuck
10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I've noticed more people speeding excessively in the last few weeks now that prices have dropped a bit. And the SUVs and trucks are now out in a bit more force than they were during the summer too.

:lol:

I typically buy strictly from top tier gas stations, which in the Cincy area is primarily Shell.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Top tier gas is usually slightly more expensive, but I don't mind paying a few extra cents per gallon to put in some gasoline with more additives that will help keep engine performance a bit higher.

I have always pick the lowest price along my way. The only thing that I know really causes a difference between types of fuel is the quality of the storage tanks. If the tanks are designed poorly they will allow condensation to form in the tanks, or they allow water to seep in from the lid. Then you have a problem.

HotCorner
10-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Now down to 2.48.

Now 2.03

Unassisted
10-28-2008, 09:52 AM
We have a station in town that was the first in the state to drop its price to $1.99 on Tuesday. Now there are more in Texas at that price, but still just the one here in San Antonio.

flyer85
10-28-2008, 09:59 AM
guess someone needs to start an under $2 a gallon thread.

Unassisted
10-28-2008, 10:36 AM
guess someone needs to start an under $2 a gallon thread.I was thinking earlier today how the title of this thread helped me appreciate the current prices. :)

OSUredsFAN
10-28-2008, 05:20 PM
its still 2.75-2.90 in the Chicagoland area:(

BuckeyeRed27
10-28-2008, 06:34 PM
I paid $3.49 for the premium yesterday and the other was $3.19

MWM
10-28-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm paying about $2.15 here in Minnesota

Joseph
10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
2.30s here in metro Louisville.

SandyD
10-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Just saw $2.49 here. I think prices are a bit lower across the river, but I'm not make that trip just for gas. Even at a 20-30cent difference.

AmarilloRed
10-28-2008, 10:08 PM
$2.25 today here in Amarillo. I expect it to keep going down.

cumberlandreds
10-29-2008, 06:50 AM
$2.45 in Sterling ,Va yesterday.

freestyle55
10-29-2008, 09:21 AM
$1.99 up and down Route 4 in Fairfield north of 275...

Cyclone792
10-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Filled up today for $1.99, and I'm shocked that I've actually been able to buy gas for under $2 again.

Then again oil was up big earlier today so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a spike tomorrow around lunch time. But let's think positive and hope not ...

SanDiegoRed
11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
$1.93 in Waynesboro, VA today keep falling baby!

Gamble
11-10-2008, 07:15 PM
I was filling up here in Findlay for $1.84 last Friday, and today it is $1.77

AmarilloRed
11-10-2008, 07:38 PM
I saw a gas station at $1.99 last night on the way home.

Sea Ray
11-10-2008, 09:16 PM
$1.70 at Kroger, minus the 15 cent discount, I got it for $1.55 today

goreds2
11-19-2008, 01:13 AM
$1.66 in the central Ohio area.

Jpup
11-19-2008, 05:08 AM

bucksfan2
11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
$1.62 on the way to work. May we see sub $1/gal again??????

BRM
11-19-2008, 09:06 AM
It's been $1.75 here in Colorado for about a week now.

RANDY IN INDY
11-19-2008, 11:15 AM
$2.04 in Charlotte and 1.84 in SC, right across the state line.

HotCorner
11-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Now 2.03

Now 1.63

Using the history of my posts in this thread, the price of gas dropped from 3.14 (Oct 8) to 1.63 (Nov 19). A reduction of 48% (1.51) in 42 days - wow! :eek:

Cyclone792
11-19-2008, 11:54 AM
$2.04 in Charlotte and 1.84 in SC, right across the state line.

Interesting how that is. When we went to WV two weekends ago for the UC/WVU game, the price of gas was $1.79 here in Cincy, $1.99 in eastern Ohio along I-70, but around $2.50 everywhere in WV and PA.

Once we left Ohio the gas prices were 50 cents higher per gallon. Fortunately we were able to work it out where all our gas fillups for the trip were in Ohio at sub $2/gallon gas.

cumberlandreds
11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
$2.11 in Sterling, Va. I wish we would get some of the sub $2 prices.

remdog
11-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Question: How much of the price of gasoline in your respective states is made up of state taxes?

I paid $2.34 a week ago (I don't have to drive too much so only fill up about every 2-3 weeks) but the CA gas tax is one of the highest in the nation. I'll have to check to see how much/gallon.

Rem

HotCorner
11-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Question: How much of the price of gasoline in your respective states is made up of state taxes?

I paid $2.34 a week ago (I don't have to drive too much so only fill up about every 2-3 weeks) but the CA gas tax is one of the highest in the nation. I'll have to check to see how much/gallon.

Rem

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/245.html#variousstaterates-20080307

BRM
11-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the link.

Now it really makes no sense at all why beer costs ~$5 more per case out here than it does in Indiana. Colorado has one of the lowest beer taxes in the country yet prices are incredibly high.

Rojo
11-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Fill up. The price is a result of a strong dollar. And that strong dollar is just the latest bubble.

Handofdeath
11-19-2008, 08:10 PM
$1.57 a gallon in Brazoria, Texas.

Raisor
11-19-2008, 08:12 PM
2.15 in Windsor Locks, CT

OldRightHander
11-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I paid $2.50 for diesel in Virginia last night. It's a little higher than that where I am now in southeast North Carolina.

Reds4Life
11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I paid $1.83 per gal for premium this morning. As soon as the economy picks up, price will go back up. :(

remdog
11-19-2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the link.

OK, so CA has the highest gasoline tax at $.445/gal with only NY and CT being over $.40. Add that CA has a (listed) sales tax 7.25% as a state but various counties also get to add to that and I'm paying 8.25% in the OC and (I think) 8.5% in LA county.

Arnold wants to raise the state sales tax by another 1% and, of course, I expect the new administration to raise taxes as well.

I think I might look into converting a car so that it runs on used cooking oil and then make best friends with the local McDonalds manager. :p:

Rem

RBA
11-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Little birdie tells me Gasoline will be under $2.00 a Gallon at the San Diego area Navy Exchange service stations tomorrow.

remdog
11-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Little birdie tells me Gasoline will be under $2.00 a Gallon at the San Diego area Navy Exchange service stations tomorrow.

:lol: Lucky you! Can a former jarhead get in on that? ;)

Rem

Jpup
11-20-2008, 03:21 AM

jesusfan
11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
1.85 in Grayson, Ky!

BuckeyeRed27
11-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Fill up. The price is a result of a strong dollar. And that strong dollar is just the latest bubble.

That is part of it. Probably a bigger part is the perception that oil demand will fall with a global recession. That and oil was artifiicially high at $100+ a barrel based almost all on speculation.

Rojo
11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
That is part of it. Probably a bigger part is the perception that oil demand will fall with a global recession. That and oil was artifiicially high at $100+ a barrel based almost all on speculation.

Yeah, its hard to predict this stuff. But a plunge this steep is not likely the result of a cooling economy alone.

paintmered
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah, its hard to predict this stuff. But a plunge this steep is not likely the result of a cooling economy alone.

To buy U.S. assets, you have to have U.S. Dollars.

Rojo
11-20-2008, 07:57 PM
To buy U.S. assets, you have to have U.S. Dollars.

Do you mean the dollars will be repatriated as purchases of US assets? Hadn't thought of that. Could happen. The recent dollar rally is due in part to US companies repatriating their dollars.

Razor Shines
11-20-2008, 09:05 PM

Don't worry that one won't ever burst, we can always just print more! Yay! Lollipops and candy canes for everyone!!

BuckeyeRed27
11-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Don't worry that one won't ever burst, we can always just print more! Yay! Lollipops and candy canes for everyone!!

I know you are probably joking, but you do know that is exactly what would make the dollar drop right?

freestyle55
11-21-2008, 02:24 PM
$1.59 this morning in West Chester...

Razor Shines
11-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I know you are probably joking, but you do know that is exactly what would make the dollar drop right?

I don't know what you're talking about. How could printing more dollars make the dollar drop? I say lets crank that printing press up a notch, Weimar-style baby!

gm
11-21-2008, 07:48 PM

Go on youtube and type in Lindsey Williams, then listen to his interviews

(Oh, and brace yourself)

remdog
11-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Finally! Bought gas today under $2.00, ($1.999 but....:) )

Rem

cumberlandreds
11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
$1.94 in Northern Virginia.

BRM
11-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Down to $1.47 at some stations in Colorado Springs. I wish diesel would start dropping at a similar rate.

goreds2
12-23-2008, 05:42 AM
$1.49 in Central Ohio.

OldRightHander
12-23-2008, 06:53 AM
Down to $1.47 at some stations in Colorado Springs. I wish diesel would start dropping at a similar rate.

Amen to that.

I did pay $2.19 this morning for diesel at a Speedway on Hamilton Ave. That's the lowest I've seen it since I bought this van.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-23-2008, 07:49 AM
$1.50 in Urbana this mornin.

RedsFan75
12-23-2008, 09:02 AM
1.38 in London, KY

cumberlandreds
12-23-2008, 10:12 AM
I paid $1.46 in Strasburg, Va Saturday evening. I have read about folks in some parts of Kentucky paying $1.25!

RBA
12-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Enjoy it while you can. This is just temporary, IMO.

goreds2
12-23-2008, 09:09 PM

That is my opinion. Don't worry where it might end up, enjoy it now. Budget accordingly when/if the prices go up again.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-25-2008, 04:11 AM
$1.41, Springfield, Ohio. Merry Christmas!

RBA
12-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Gas prices are on the rise in California as the oil companies have taken two refineries off line for "maintenance". We are up 20 cents in the last week.

AccordinglyReds
12-29-2008, 01:45 AM
filled up at Kroger for $1.28 after discount. :)

Sea Ray
12-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Well, in a sense all gas prices are temporary. Luckily $4.25 gas was temporary.

I don't think we'll see gas going back up to $4 anytime soon. The market couldn't sustain it and now they're paying for it bigtime. In that sense maybe it was a good thing that it went up like it did last summer

WebScorpion
12-29-2008, 05:24 PM
$1.37 - $1.45 is the price range here. :thumbup:

On a related note, it was 70 degrees here two days after Christmas! :eek: A normal winter sees it drop below 50 in November and never return until March. Natural gas supplies are not being used up this season either. :D

remdog
12-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Gas prices are on the rise in California as the oil companies have taken two refineries off line for "maintenance". We are up 20 cents in the last week.

I last filled up on 12/19 and paid $1.63. Today, 10 days later, filled up (about a 1/2 tank) at the same station and paid $1.69.

San Diego county is known for having higher gas prices than LA or OC county---something about the lack of competitive brands there so maybe that $.20 jump was due to specific brands shutting down for maintance.

Not that I think the oil companies are the most honest folks on the planet....;)

Rem

LawFive
12-29-2008, 05:50 PM
30 cent spike here in Cincy today, to 1.69 most places. Can still fill up for under $30 though, as opposed to $70 before, so I'm not complaining too much.

westofyou
12-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I ordered 200 gallons at $1.69 (heating oil) that's the lowest it's been in a few years.

Handofdeath
12-30-2008, 12:31 AM
$1.26 a gallon in Midland, Texas. $1.34 here in Lubbock.

Hoosier Red
01-02-2009, 10:26 AM
$1.37 - $1.45 is the price range here. :thumbup:

On a related note, it was 70 degrees here two days after Christmas! :eek: A normal winter sees it drop below 50 in November and never return until March. Natural gas supplies are not being used up this season either. :D

I thought one of the reasons gas prices went down in the winter was the switch of refineries selling more heating oil. Somehow this helped produce extra gasoline grade oil as well.