PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Keepers (Baseball)

JWP
09-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Ok, I need some advice. In my league we get to pick 1 rookie keeper.

On my team I have Jay Bruce, Evan Longoria, and David Price.

Who should I keep? I was kind of leaning towards Longoria, but I'm not so sure.

Buckeye33
09-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Longoria has the most upside of these guys I think. I'd never keep a rookie pitcher who hasn't pitched a single game in the bigs.

Bruce is going to be very good, I just think Longoria will be slightly better and will hit 4 hole on a better team the next couple seasons.

RedEye
09-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Longoria has the most upside of these guys I think. I'd never keep a rookie pitcher who hasn't pitched a single game in the bigs.

Bruce is going to be very good, I just think Longoria will be slightly better and will hit 4 hole on a better team the next couple seasons.

IMO, Price is not (yet) in the same conversation as the other two. In our league setup, Longoria is a better keeper than Bruce because he plays 3B. Bruce may have just as much upside, but there are a lot of OF out there. That said, I'd still choose Bruce. :)

Stephenk29
09-29-2008, 08:34 PM
LONGORIA

Look at those rookie numbers. Bruce will be good, but Longoria already is.

Stephenk29
09-29-2008, 08:35 PM
What do you guys think on this keeper scenario.

I'm keeping Morneau, Ichiro, Hamilton. I have one more spot...

Granderson or Youkilis? Normally Youkilis never comes in mind, but he threw up some monster numbers.

dougdirt
09-30-2008, 02:16 AM
What do you guys think on this keeper scenario.

I'm keeping Morneau, Ichiro, Hamilton. I have one more spot...

Granderson or Youkilis? Normally Youkilis never comes in mind, but he threw up some monster numbers.

Gotta go Youk on this one. He should be eligible for 3B next year and his numbers at 3B will be near the top.

camisadelgolf
09-30-2008, 03:49 AM
Gotta go Youk on this one. He should be eligible for 3B next year and his numbers at 3B will be near the top.

I agree. And if you're keeping Ichiro, that makes it easier to part with Granderson.

Redsnake
10-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Longoria
Bruce
Price

In that order.

Buckeye33
10-01-2008, 05:47 PM
This seems to be the keeper question thread so I'll throw mine out.

10 team 4 player keeper.

ARod
Jose Reyes
Utley
Morneau
Lincecum

The 1st three are no brain picks, but what about Morneau and Lincecum?

I will also have the 3rd pick in the draft so it won't be that important of a decision as I'll have a pretty good chance to get whoever I don't keep at #3.

Leaning towards Lincecum.

JWP
10-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I'd take Lincecum, without a doubt, it's much easier to pick up offense (especially at 1B/DH) than it is to find an ace pitcher the likes of Lincecum.

OK, so we have my rookie keeper decided, but I also get to keep 2 position players and 2 pitchers, what would you guys do?

Top 4 Position Players:
Ryan Braun
Hanley Ramirez
Josh Hamilton
Mark Teixeira

Top Pitchers:
Edinson Volquez
Josh Beckett
Jon Lester

I am leaning towards keeping Braun, Hanley, Volquez, and Beckett. However, I've been kind of leaning towards taking either Teixeira or Hamilton recently over Braun. Any advice?

Stephenk29
10-01-2008, 09:37 PM
This seems to be the keeper question thread so I'll throw mine out.

10 team 4 player keeper.

ARod
Jose Reyes
Utley
Morneau
Lincecum

The 1st three are no brain picks, but what about Morneau and Lincecum?

I will also have the 3rd pick in the draft so it won't be that important of a decision as I'll have a pretty good chance to get whoever I don't keep at #3.

Leaning towards Lincecum.
Morneau no brainer to me. If 40 players are kept in the league, Morneau will surely be take within those first two picks. Never are there as many pitchers kept, maybe 5 total? I think you keep Morneau and if you want can still get an ace with the 3 pick. How many guys with Morneau's numbers will be available? I think if you kept those 4 you easily have the best group in the league.

Stephenk29
10-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I'd take Lincecum, without a doubt, it's much easier to pick up offense (especially at 1B/DH) than it is to find an ace pitcher the likes of Lincecum.

OK, so we have my rookie keeper decided, but I also get to keep 2 position players and 2 pitchers, what would you guys do?

Top 4 Position Players:
Ryan Braun
Hanley Ramirez
Josh Hamilton
Mark Teixeira

Top Pitchers:
Edinson Volquez
Josh Beckett
Jon Lester

I am leaning towards keeping Braun, Hanley, Volquez, and Beckett. However, I've been kind of leaning towards taking either Teixeira or Hamilton recently over Braun. Any advice?

Might depend on where Teixeira goes in free agency, but as of right now I agree with your choices.

penantboundreds
10-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Would you keep Berkman in keeper leagues?

Buckeye33
10-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Would you keep Berkman in keeper leagues?

Depends on who your other options are ...

penantboundreds
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
we get to keep twelve....im trying to decide between these guys

russel martin, tex, hanley, longoria, berkman, markakis, ellsbury, burrell, burnett, webb, harden, k-rod, lidge, broxton, oswalt, zambrano

please help

Buckeye33
10-05-2008, 07:58 PM

russel martin, tex, hanley, longoria, berkman, markakis, ellsbury, burrell, burnett, webb, harden, k-rod, lidge, broxton, oswalt, zambrano

please help

12, OK:

Tex
Hanley
Longoria
Martin
Markakis
Berkman
Webb
Ellsbury
KRod

After that, it's up to you. I am not a big fan of keeping closers, but KRod is worth keeping with what else is left to choose from. Might as well keep Lidge too I guess.

redsfandan
10-05-2008, 08:34 PM

please help

with 12 keepers out of 16 players it's easier to just name the 4 that i wouldn't keep and that would be: burrell, harden, and broxton for sure. imo it's a tossup between lidge and oswalt for the last spot. i don't like to keep many closers since that position is so volatile but you aleady have 3 sp's so it's up to you.

Jack Burton
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM

please help
I'd Keep:
Martin
Tex
HRam
Longoria
Berkamn
Markakis
Burnett
Webb
KRod
Lidge
Oswalt
Zambrano

penantboundreds
11-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Martin
Tex
HRam
Longoria
Berkamn
Markakis
Burnett
Webb
KRod
Lidge
Oswalt
Zambrano
Kinsler

I need to drop one, who would you make it

Buckeye33
11-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Oswalt for sure... only other option would be Lidge, but there's no reason to think he won't have 45 saves next season and have sick whip, Ks, etc ...

redsfandan
11-08-2008, 06:55 PM
could you package a couple together for a better (and safer) player? like burnett and oswalt for someone like johan santana or lincecum. or burnett, oswalt, and kinsler for a relatively safe top 10 starting pitcher and utley.

penantboundreds
02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I ended up with my team going like this going into the draft:

1 Hanley Ramirez
2 Brad Lidge
3 Francisco Rodriquez
4 Mark Teixera
5 Ian Kinsler
6 Russell Martin
7 Evan Longoria
8 Nick Markakis
9 Brandon Webb
10 AJ Burnett
11 Jacoby Ellsbury
12 Curtis Granderson
13 Clay Bucholz

I traded Carlos Zambrano for Granderson and Bucholz.

Thanks for the input.