PDA

View Full Version : How About That Wind Storm?

GAC
09-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Here in central Ohia, that was some wind coming through on Sunday from the remnants of Ike! They had warnings out, and they said the winds (gale warnings) would top out at around 60 mph.

If those were 60 mph winds that came through here (and I doubt it), then I'd hate to see what hurricane force winds of 100+ mph were.

We lost power in this region around 2 PM Sunday - knocked the Bengal game on Dayton 7 right off the map (no great loss there). Thank God I have a whole house generator, because we were on it, while everyone else had zip, for about 6 hours.

Property damage?

Lost some sections of my vinyl siding, as well as some spouting, and numerous tree branches down. After walking around the neighborhood looking for the remnants, I have spent yesterday and today repairing it. Made a few trips to Lowes. One of the bigger branches came down over my shed and was draped over a power line, so I played it safe and called the utility company to come clear that one out. ;)

My neighbors had sections of their roof (shingles) come off. And power has been on and off for the last day or so. Kids didn't have school till today. And at all the Honda plants only various shifts were working due to power.

Other then that - we're doing OK.

But it kinda puts things in a better perspective for me, because what we got was mild compared to what those folks down along the coast in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida got.

Wow!

But standing out on my front porch watching it was something else.

redsmetz
09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
We're still without power in Spring Grove Village (formerly Winton Place), both at my house and at my office, although my landlord was going to bring in a generator for me at work. I'm at the Correyville libary now, checking email and grabbing a quick RZ fix. I think it's possibly we'll be out a bit. The wires outside my office are presently buried under a giant oak tree.

HeatherC1212
09-16-2008, 01:00 PM
We have power at my work (I work in Sharonville) but our power at home in Colerain was still out as of 8 AM this morning. I just got off the phone with my mom though and I think power is back on in our area. She got a call from one of the neighbors a little while ago saying she had her power now. That would be outstanding to have power again because playing cards by candlelight was getting a little old, LOL :laugh: The wind was definitely something else (our fence needs a lot of repair and there are trees down all over my condo complex but there was no damage to the condo) and I really don't want to experience anything like that ever again. Wow, that was totally insane and we only got a small dose of a hurricane experience too! :eek:

GAC
09-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I live in Logan Co. It sure seems, by watching the news in Dayton, that counties like Montgomery, Greene, and Clark, really got hit hard. Yesterday they were telling people to stay off the streets due to the crews cleaning up and trying to restore power.

Chip R
09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
I live in Logan Co. It sure seems, by watching the news in Dayton, that counties like Montgomery, Greene, and Clark, really got hit hard. Yesterday they were telling people to stay off the streets due to the crews cleaning up and trying to restore power.

You guys have electricity up there? Since when? Next thing you know you'll be getting indoor plumbing. :p:

GAC
09-16-2008, 01:30 PM
You guys have electricity up there? Since when? Next thing you know you'll be getting indoor plumbing. :p:

Who needs indoor plumbing? Its' good to get outside and get your exercise.

cumberlandreds
09-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I just found out my nephew who lives in Northern Kentucky,Florence, has been without power since Sunday. He doesn't know when he will get it back. He didn't have any damage from the storm but many around him did.

Roy Tucker
09-16-2008, 02:04 PM
We just got power back this AM after being without for about 40 hours.

I'd never seen wind like that before. I stood in my garage watching debris fly by and my trees bend over way more than I'd ever seen before. I thought it was a matter of time before they snapped. The winds cranked up around 1 pm and blew till about 6. Consistent winds around 40 mph and *big* gusts that I can believe being 75-80 mph.

More than once I said "I have never seen this before" (I seem to be saying that a lot lately). The weather guys are calling it a once in a lifetime thing. That would be fine with me.

The weirdest thing was that the wind was hot. It was partly sunny and about 90 degrees out and the wind was just blasting away. My trees now look all wilted and burnt. I've got the watering bags on them now.

My son was standing out in the driveway acting like his usual idiot self. I told him I didn't think it was safe to be out there and he just blew me off. A couple minutes later, a 75 mph gust propelled a cluster of leaves that whapped him in the side of the face and almost knocked him down. He came in the garage after that.

Hypnotoad
09-16-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm in Kettering and it's been 48 hours without power now. Not sure when we'll get it back.

Never been so glad to come into work.

cincrazy
09-16-2008, 03:24 PM
I live in Clark County, and we were ravaged. My immediate neighborhood is very lucky, only lost power for an hour or so total. But nearly everyone around us has power lines destroyed, huge trees uprooted, and so on. Most of the area is without power. The pizza place I work at may be without power until Saturday or Sunday, and I live literally a minute or two from there. It's just a wreck.

GAC
09-16-2008, 03:36 PM
My son was standing out in the driveway acting like his usual idiot self. I told him I didn't think it was safe to be out there and he just blew me off. A couple minutes later, a 75 mph gust propelled a cluster of leaves that whapped him in the side of the face and almost knocked him down. He came in the garage after that.

Our sons must be cut from the same cloth! :lol:

My 19 yr old - all 250 lbs of him (takes from his Mom's side ;) ) - was standing out in the driveway in a test of will between his body and the wind gusts.

redsmetz
09-16-2008, 03:57 PM

My 19 yr old - all 250 lbs of him (takes from his Mom's side ;) ) - was standing out in the driveway in a test of will between his body and the wind gusts.

When the wind picked up, we were just starting to march in a parade for my brother's judicial campaign, marching in Mt. Healthy. Immediately after we started, NCH's fire engine pulled out and took off on a run and by the end, one Mt. Healthy unit had pulled off too. My youngest brother and I were carrying a banner for Jerry's campaign and we were leaning into trying to move forward. While we were on Compton nearing the end (which they cancelled), a huge sycamore tree just blew right over in the cemetary. Whew!

Joseph
09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Got it here in Louisville too of course, I'm back after being without power since 1PM Sunday.

Caseyfan21
09-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Still without power up here in Springboro. I was in Columbus over the weekend visiting school and I decided to come home for the week before classes on Sunday. I left Columbus around 4 PM (right after the power went out there) and I drove down I-71 thru the worst of the wind. Semi's were all over the place and corn husks were flying around the highway from all the fields. I have a Hyudai Sonata so the wind really didn't affect me too bad, but it was an adventure with some of the other drivers out there.

My power at my parent's house was out around 2 pm'ish I believe and it has been out ever since. As I was leaving Columbus I talked to my parents who told me about the power being out so I tossed my battery powered, really bright camping latern...best decision I've made in a long while. This latern can light up an entire side of the house. In fact from the outside it looks like we have electricity. At least all of our water services and hot water still work but the no electricity thing is bad. The worst is half our neighborhood has power and our half doesn't.

The lucky thing for us is that my grandparents live about 10 minutes away in Miamisburg and they have had power the entire time. So basically from Monday morning on I have stayed at their house enjoying electricity.

The one life lesson I have learned from all of this is a new found respect for older folks. How the heck did people entertain themselves before electricity and all the fun electronics were around? ;) I was dying without my Xbox 360, laptop, and music.

Caseyfan21
09-16-2008, 10:30 PM

During the winds, a lot of our neighborhood was all outside walking from yard to yard as trees went down and damage occured. My parents said it was the most neighborhood gathering they have had in years. :laugh:

A little chunk of our roof blew off (black material that protects the peaks and prevents water from leaking) during the storm and my dad caught it when it landed. He was worried about possible rain so he pulled out a big ladder right there and was starting to climb up (During the wind!) to replace it. I guess 6 neighbors came running over to stop him and tell him how stupid that would be. :laugh:

And another funny story....my girlfriends mom loves storms and winds so she decided to go for a walk in her neighborhood during the winds. She lives in an older neighborhood with big trees and plenty of hazards, so this was not the brightest ideas. When she was out walking she got drilled by a wooden street sign that had blown away. It's only hilarious because she was not seriously injured, just a little sore. My girlfriend's grandma (her mom's mom) called to tell her about it and tell her what an idiot her mom was for going out in the wind. :laugh:

*BaseClogger*
09-16-2008, 11:07 PM
There were protests here at MU to cancel class on Tuesday as students off-campus had no power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOAQyhhYrgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8FeCr2ZQI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRd-ApJ9Mbs

toledodan
09-16-2008, 11:16 PM
The lucky thing for us is that my grandparents live about 10 minutes away in Miamisburg and they have had power the entire time. So basically from Monday morning on I have stayed at their house enjoying electricity.

The one life lesson I have learned from all of this is a new found respect for older folks. How the heck did people entertain themselves before electricity and all the fun electronics were around? ;) I was dying without my Xbox 360, laptop, and music.

my wife's step father lives in the burg but doesn't have power.

Boston Red
09-16-2008, 11:24 PM
There were protests here at MU to cancel class on Tuesday as students off-campus had no power

College students tend to lose sight of the fact that they (or someone on their behalf) is actually paying for those classes they are protesting to have cancelled.

*BaseClogger*
09-17-2008, 12:49 AM
College students tend to lose sight of the fact that they (or someone on their behalf) is actually paying for those classes they are protesting to have cancelled.

I agree completely. They also lose sight of the fact that if they don't want to go to class, they don't have to. Maybe I'm just biased because I was on campus using the backup generator's power... :D

rotnoid
09-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Power's finally back on here (in Bethel, which is the way eastern part of Clermont county). We were dark for about 72 hours. Decided to try to make the best of it. Turned this into a camping trip with a really good tent. I've been cooking on a fire, though we have a gas grill, since Sunday. The kids haven't noticed a thing. Now that the lights are back on and the water pump is running again, I'll be back at work tomorrow. Only vacation I'll get all year.

Buckeye33
09-17-2008, 03:38 PM
I am sitting in a Panera Bread here in Columbus because my power is still not on at the house. I just looked at AEPs estimated time for my neighborhood to be back up and it's the 20th!!!

Unreal.

Unassisted
09-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I have a relative near Downtown Columbus whose power is still off. The rest of my relatives scattered around greater Columbus all lost power for periods ranging from 6-48 hours. One of those other relatives lost phone service for over 2 days.

It amazes me how much more effect the midwest got from Hurricane Ike than I did, living 250 miles from where it made landfall. We got maybe an hour of 30 mph winds and .07 inches of rain.

HeatherC1212
09-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Our power came back on yesterday afternoon and we now have some new food in our fridge and freezer. It's amazing how many simple things we take for granted sometimes. I've never been so happy to be able to use the restroom without taking a flashlight in there with me, LOL :laugh:

I hope those of you who are still in the dark get your power back soon! :(

dougdirt
09-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Down here in Cincinnati (Colerain TWP) and I am still without power. Its killing me. I work from home and have hardly been able to get anything done. Fortunately I have a generator and have been able to keep the food in the fridge and freezer cold, but its getting ridiculous.

gilpdawg
09-18-2008, 05:16 PM
My power was out for 80 hours.

GoReds33
09-18-2008, 05:53 PM
I did relativly well. We had a tree limb hit the house, but it didn't do noticable damage. The power went off a couple times, but was on in just a few minutes. I have relatives still without power, though we took them a small generator to keep their freezer cold.

GAC
09-18-2008, 07:59 PM
A friend I work with, who lives done outside of New Carlisle, Ohio, has been without power since Sunday. None. Nil. He said they've been cooking on the grill, and bucketing water up from the crick to flush the toilets! They hope to get power back by this weekend. Wow!

I think I would have moved the family into a hotel for a few days. Especially if I had no running water at all.

dougdirt
09-18-2008, 09:08 PM
9pm and I am still without power. I did get to enjoy an ice cold shower today though for the 4th day in a row. That was fantastic.

GAC
09-18-2008, 09:16 PM
When we built our home 2 years ago, after the house fire, one of the improvements I wanted to have done was a whole-house generator (Generac). My wife, at the time, thought it was a needless waste and was against it. I then reminded her of that ice storm about 3 years ago that devastated this region and forced us, as well as many families, to leave the area for 5-6 days until things were restored. Also the many times, from living out in the country, that we lose power, for various reasons, and sometimes for hours on end. There is also the plus it adds to one's property value.

Two years later, and after numerous incidents, my wife has changed her tune. It's been a life-saver. ;)

LoganBuck
09-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I saw a bit of ElectricRage yesterday. I was on my way to a farm show at London, Ohio, and was getting ready to turn on to STR 235 north of Quincy. Some lady (and I use the term loosely) had pulled up to the stop sign, and gotten out to air her grievances, across 235 at the entrance to the Pines, a bucket truck was there with a man up in the air, and his spotter on the ground. This woman was shaking her finger at them and looked out of sorts. I had to pull around her parked SUV to turn south on to 235. I shook my head at her, and yelled "Grow Up!" These electric crews have a dangerous job to do and they have no room for error. Leave them alone, they want to be done with the job as much as you want the power to come back on.

SunDeck
09-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I saw a bit of ElectricRage yesterday. I was on my way to a farm show at London, Ohio, and was getting ready to turn on to STR 235 north of Quincy. Some lady (and I use the term loosely) had pulled up to the stop sign, and gotten out to air her grievances, across 235 at the entrance to the Pines, a bucket truck was there with a man up in the air, and his spotter on the ground. This woman was shaking her finger at them and looked out of sorts. I had to pull around her parked SUV to turn south on to 235. I shook my head at her, and yelled "Grow Up!" These electric crews have a dangerous job to do and they have no room for error. Leave them alone, they want to be done with the job as much as you want the power to come back on.

I think people just don't get it. This was a major event, kind of like having a hurricane blow through your town in five hours. If this were a coastal town, these crews would be like heroes.

GAC
09-19-2008, 08:10 AM

Very familiar with the area. I use to live in DeGraff. She probably was from Quincy... and probably just left the Pines and heading for the Tammy Lynn Inn. :p:

LoganBuck
09-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Very familiar with the area. I use to live in DeGraff. She probably was from Quincy... and probably just left the Pines and heading for the Tammy Lynn Inn. :p:

This was around 10:45am, and the entrance to the Pines from 235 was blocked by a down tree. She probably wanted her fix!

TeamCasey
09-19-2008, 01:17 PM
6 days ..... but I got da POWER!

TeamCasey
09-19-2008, 01:20 PM
The only thing that irritated me was Duke's phone people who insisted we had power all week because their computer said so.

We did not.

Their response: well that puts you at the bottom of the list.

As far as Duke bringing in the cavalry and working very hard on a widespread, multi-faceted outage .... I commend them.

Their phone people could use some skills.

texasdave
09-19-2008, 05:04 PM
I live just to the east of Houston and just want to say that was one wild ride. I am sure everyone has seen the pictures of the devastation on television, internet or somewhere so I won't ramble on and on. Suffice it to say that I would not wish that on anyone. My house suffered minimal damage. Several large tree branches fell, but luckily none on my house. Many of my neighbors were not so lucky. Since my work has been without power most of the days are filled with clearing debris from people's yards,houses,cars etc. Still no power in my particular neighborhood. But Houston has caught a break with the cool front that came through right after Ike. And to think we were the lucky ones around here. The damage to Galveston and many other coastal communities is unimaginable. I am on a laptop and have to sign off now. Just wanted to say a big thank you to the many parts of the country that have sent ice, water, volunteers and everything else. It's gonna take some time to get back to sense of normalcy, but I can say that everyone down here appreciates the help that has been sent our way.

Thanks again,

Dave

dougdirt
09-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Goodluck getting everything back to normal down there Dave!

I am feeling pretty crappy up here in Cincinnati still without power, but its nothing compared to what happened down there.

redsmetz
09-20-2008, 03:53 PM
The only thing that irritated me was Duke's phone people who insisted we had power all week because their computer said so.

We did not.

Their response: well that puts you at the bottom of the list.

As far as Duke bringing in the cavalry and working very hard on a widespread, multi-faceted outage .... I commend them.

Their phone people could use some skills.

My sister in Pleasant Ridge said her neighbor called on Friday to say their power was still out. The operator told them they'd just received the report the day before. Her neighbor told her that wasn't true because at least two people by them called on Sunday.

My sister still has no power, nor did a friend I saw from North Avondale. Ironically, one street in our neighborhood (Spring Grove Village) has some residents without power. The others? They never lost power. Go figure.

dougdirt
09-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Ironically, one street in our neighborhood (Spring Grove Village) has some residents without power. The others? They never lost power. Go figure.

Thats how my street is. We had no trees or lines go down. Us 8 middle houses on the street have no power while everyone else has had power the entire time.

dougdirt
09-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Just got my power back.

Guy rolls up in his truck, looks at the transformer. Reached in the back of his truck, pulls out a pole, extends it to about 20 feet. Reaches up and pushed a button. Our power came on and he left. He was on my street a total of 2 minutes. I waited a week for that to happen? Yay I guess.

Tommyjohn25
09-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Just got mine back about ten minutes ago. Whew....