Chad Campbell*
JB Holmes*
Hunter Mahan*
Steve Stricker*

* = Captain's Pick

Highlifeman21
09-16-2008, 04:47 PM
My crystal ball only shows 2 realistic outcomes:

1. Team USA gets pounded on their home turf (we're talking doubled up, like the Euros have done to us the last 2 Ryder Cups)
2. Team USA somehow eeks out a 14.5 - 13.5 W. (15 points is out of the question, if Team USA wins, it'll be by the smallest margin, aka 14.5 - 13.5)

The sad part is, even if El Tigre were on this team, they'd still be hard pressed to score 15 points. This is, IMO, one of the worst team's we've had in recent years. Thankfully, if you're rootin' for the Yanks, the Euros are trotting out some of their more virtually unknown names in recent memory. Hansen and Wilson are definitely not household names over here, and Karlsson and McDowell are only one step closer to actually being known.

With the USA sending out guys like Kim, Leonard (would be a great pick if this was 1999 or older), Curtis, Weekley, Holmes and Mahan, you can only like the Euros.

My prediction: Euros 20 - USA 8.

What say you?

Redhook
09-16-2008, 05:54 PM
The US is an overwhelming underdog and shouldn't come close to winning. But somehow they will.

MWM
09-16-2008, 07:08 PM
I have the same feeling about this Ryder Cup as I had about the Buckeyes going into the game against USC. And my feeling turned out to be true. Hard to believe it's this much of a mismatch on paper.

bucksfan2
09-17-2008, 08:11 AM
What happened to Luke Donald????

The euros grow up playing a ton more match play than the US. The ironic thing with Tiger is you would expect him to dominate match play but he has been pretty lackluster for his career. I don't think the loss of Tiger is that great.

It seems as if the rolls have reversed for this Ryder Cup. The Euros are much stronger than the USA but are playing on USA's home turf. I hope it is an interesting Cup, similar to that of 99.

Highlifeman21
09-17-2008, 11:21 AM
What happened to Luke Donald????

The euros grow up playing a ton more match play than the US. The ironic thing with Tiger is you would expect him to dominate match play but he has been pretty lackluster for his career. I don't think the loss of Tiger is that great.

It seems as if the rolls have reversed for this Ryder Cup. The Euros are much stronger than the USA but are playing on USA's home turf. I hope it is an interesting Cup, similar to that of 99.

FWIW, Tiger's 3-1-1 in singles, so he's shown that he can hold his own vs another player.

However, Tiger is horrible in 4some and 4ball. 3-6-1 and 4-6 respectively. The amusing part about his record with a teammate is that the majority of the time HE'S picked his partner (aside from the Hal Sutton "let's pair Tiger with Phil!" debacle). So, either Tiger overestimates his own game with the partner of his choosing, or he's chosen bad partners. Regardless, he should stick to singles.

As for Luke Donald, he was 50th in the European Ryder Cup points list. IIRC, he's dealing with an injury, and thus wasn't one of Faldo's picks.

paintmered
09-17-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure what will happen but I know that I'll be there on Saturday!

Chip R
09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I kinda of wish it was in Europe this year since I'll be busy pretty much all weekend. If it was across the pond, most of it would be in the mornings.

RawOwl UK
09-17-2008, 04:33 PM
EUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE !!!!!!!!!! :)

Really think its going to be 4 in a row.

Should be thrilling once again. One of the best weekends in sport.

Hoosier Red
09-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm admittedly a complete homer on the pick, but I really think guys like Curtis and Leonard can really help in team play.
They're cool customers, they keep the ball on the fairway and they've been making putts recently. I'd put Justin with Phil, and Curtis with Boo in 4 ball.

as for the World Golf Rankings, the US has #2, #8,#9,#10,#11. Europe has #4,#5, #7, #12, and #13. So maybe I'm blind, but I just don't see the huge mismatch.

Highlifeman21
09-17-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm admittedly a complete homer on the pick, but I really think guys like Curtis and Leonard can really help in team play.
They're cool customers, they keep the ball on the fairway and they've been making putts recently. I'd put Justin with Phil, and Curtis with Boo in 4 ball.

as for the World Golf Rankings, the US has #2, #8,#9,#10,#11. Europe has #4,#5, #7, #12, and #13. So maybe I'm blind, but I just don't see the huge mismatch.

So the World Golf Rankings have you, hook, line and sinker....

Steve Stricker (captain's pick) is the 8th best player in the world? Wasn't he 4th or 5th last year? aka, decline

Jim Furyk is the 9th best player in the world? Wasn't he also ranked higher last year? again, decline

Anthony Kim. Could you pick him out of a police lineup? He's one of the only rising stars on the US Team, but he's a rook, and Euros trounce US rooks.

Cink, IMO, should be ranked higher. I think he's arguably the best player on the US team. I think he'll gain the US the most points this weekend.

Sure, Phil wins money, but he's not the 2nd best player in the World. Not even close. Give me Henrik Stenson over Philly Mick any day of the week. I hope they play each other in singles, b/c we'll see Stenson win 6&5.

Basically it comes down to a US team with players in decline vs a Euro team with players on the rise. IMO, it's definitely a huge mismatch.

Azinger should have put Daly on the team, just so we'd have something to talk about this weekend besides the obvious butt-whipping we'll see the Euros give the Yanks.

Hoosier Red
09-18-2008, 09:01 AM
So give me the Highlifeman golf rankings.

Just curious what's the top 20?
And it doesn't really matter whether guys are in decline or on the rise. It matters where they are.

If Ohio State is in decline, do you pick Indiana to beat them because Indiana is on the rise?

bucksfan2
09-18-2008, 09:32 AM

And it doesn't really matter whether guys are in decline or on the rise. It matters where they are.

If Ohio State is in decline, do you pick Indiana to beat them because Indiana is on the rise?

Not necessarily. The Ryder Cup is a 2 year selection process. I think it has changed, but not so much. A few years Mark O'Meara won two majors and then was awful the next year. He made the Ryder Cup team based upon the year before.

One other possible problem is the lack of tournaments that the big guns play in. This allows the second tier of players to play more and gain Ryder Cup points without playing against the top competition.

Hoosier Red
09-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Not necessarily. The Ryder Cup is a 2 year selection process. I think it has changed, but not so much. A few years Mark O'Meara won two majors and then was awful the next year. He made the Ryder Cup team based upon the year before.

One other possible problem is the lack of tournaments that the big guns play in. This allows the second tier of players to play more and gain Ryder Cup points without playing against the top competition.

I was going off the World Golf Rankings. And actually the Ryder Cup heavily favors guys who are playing better this year than last. That's why Curtis, Leonard and Kim made it.

Highlifeman21
09-18-2008, 11:23 AM

IIRC, they reconfigured the Ryder Cup points system to be weighted more heavily for the year of the Cup, and also gave more points to how people finished in the Majors.

My Top 20:

Woods
Vijay
Sergio
Paddy Harrington
Els
Stenson
Westwood
Rose
Scott
Mickelson
Cink
Kim
Stricker
Furyk
Geoff Ogilvy
Choi
Karlsson
M.A. Jimenez
Villegas
Luke Donald

My question is "Why doesn't it matter whether they are on the rise or the decline?"

While Justin Leonard is attempting to reinvent himself in hopes to prolong his career pre-Champions Tour, I definitely think he was a much better golfer when he won his Open rather than the golfer he is today. According to the World Golf Rankings, he should be the 7th best player on the team, and was 6th in Ryder Cup points, so while I don't want to discount the WGR, I also don't comfortably trust it as a metric to judge golfers accurately.

Like I said, Team USA, aside from having 1/2 its roster with rookies, has too many golfers on the decline. Many of the guys were better last time Team USA got thumped by the Euros than this time around. Cink, Perry and Kim are the only 3 that are playing much better in 2008 than they did in 2006, so I do put a lot of weight in that.

Conversely, many of the members of Team Europe are playing some of their best golf of their careers right now, and certainly much better than they hit it in 2006.

I understand your tOSU vs IU metaphor, but it doesn't apply to golf. tOSU is a machine, and every now and then you'll see an upstart knock them off, but it doesn't happen the majority of the time. In golf, you see the better players and the hotter players prevail the majority of the time. Sure, there are exceptions, but you're not going to see a Hunter Mahan or a JB Holmes or a Boo Weekley or a Ben Curtis take down a Paddy Harrington or a Henrik Stenson or a Justin Rose.

Bottomline, Team Euro just has better players.

What's your Top 20? Who ya got?

Hoosier Red
09-18-2008, 12:21 PM
IIRC, they reconfigured the Ryder Cup points system to be weighted more heavily for the year of the Cup, and also gave more points to how people finished in the Majors.

My Top 20:

Woods
Vijay
Sergio
Paddy Harrington
Els
Stenson
Westwood
Rose
Scott
Mickelson
Cink
Kim
Stricker
Furyk
Geoff Ogilvy
Choi
Karlsson
M.A. Jimenez
Villegas
Luke Donald

My question is "Why doesn't it matter whether they are on the rise or the decline?"

While Justin Leonard is attempting to reinvent himself in hopes to prolong his career pre-Champions Tour, I definitely think he was a much better golfer when he won his Open rather than the golfer he is today. According to the World Golf Rankings, he should be the 7th best player on the team, and was 6th in Ryder Cup points, so while I don't want to discount the WGR, I also don't comfortably trust it as a metric to judge golfers accurately.

Like I said, Team USA, aside from having 1/2 its roster with rookies, has too many golfers on the decline. Many of the guys were better last time Team USA got thumped by the Euros than this time around. Cink, Perry and Kim are the only 3 that are playing much better in 2008 than they did in 2006, so I do put a lot of weight in that.

Conversely, many of the members of Team Europe are playing some of their best golf of their careers right now, and certainly much better than they hit it in 2006.

I understand your tOSU vs IU metaphor, but it doesn't apply to golf. tOSU is a machine, and every now and then you'll see an upstart knock them off, but it doesn't happen the majority of the time. In golf, you see the better players and the hotter players prevail the majority of the time. Sure, there are exceptions, but you're not going to see a Hunter Mahan or a JB Holmes or a Boo Weekley or a Ben Curtis take down a Paddy Harrington or a Henrik Stenson or a Justin Rose.

Bottomline, Team Euro just has better players.

What's your Top 20? Who ya got?

My point was the WGC rankings aren't necessarily better or worse than any other arbitrary ranking.

The point about decline vs upstart was more to the point that Stricker went from #4 to #8 and was thus in a decline, though still ranked ahead of many players on the Euro side. If you take the WGC rankings as valid(you don't) than the US has as many good players as Europe.

To be fair, I probably feel better about the US' chances because I don't watch the European tour enough. But what happened to Paul Casey? Wasn't he like a top 5 player in the world and then he's brought on as a captains pick, finishing behind Oliver Wilson and Graem Macdowell?

Highlifeman21
09-18-2008, 02:31 PM
My point was the WGC rankings aren't necessarily better or worse than any other arbitrary ranking.

The point about decline vs upstart was more to the point that Stricker went from #4 to #8 and was thus in a decline, though still ranked ahead of many players on the Euro side. If you take the WGC rankings as valid(you don't) than the US has as many good players as Europe.

To be fair, I probably feel better about the US' chances because I don't watch the European tour enough. But what happened to Paul Casey? Wasn't he like a top 5 player in the world and then he's brought on as a captains pick, finishing behind Oliver Wilson and Graem Macdowell?

IIRC, Paul Casey is returning from a wrist injury, and that's why he was a CP.

Stricker is the biggest surprise as a CP for the Americans, IMO. I would have thought he would have been a top 4 lock in points, but he was on the outside looking in.

Part of me really wants to see a 20-8 butt whipping, b/c that's history. I like to see history.

Highlifeman21
09-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Friday 4somes, who ya got?

Harrington & Karlsson vs Mickelson & Kim

Stenson & Casey vs Leonard & Mahan

Rose & Poulter vs Cink & Campbell

Westwood & Garcia vs Perry & Furyk

-----------------------------------------

Rose & Poulter is a pairing we'll probably see very often. That being said, I love Cink & Campbell together vs those two. I think this is the only Friday pairing where the Americans can feasibly win a full point. IMO, Perry & Furyk could surprise with a win, but I only see them halving at best.

My aggressive prediction is Euros 3 - Americans 1 after Friday. My conservative prediction is Euros 2.5 - Americans 1.5.

I don't think Mickelson & Kim are a good team at all, and I think we'll see them honestly lose at least 4&3.

Mahan & Leonard is an interesting team, due to their vastly contrasting styles of play. Maybe Azinger knows something the rest of the world does not? Unfortunately, Stenson could beat both of them singlehandedly. The fact that he has an excellent support player in Casey is just an added bonus. We'll probably see a 3&1 or 3&2 victory by the Euros in this match.

Rose & Poulter is see losing or halving with Cink & Campbell. I love Cink's game, and I think Campbell's ready to re-emerge this week. If Rose & Poulter were playing anyone else, I'd say they'd win easily, but I think that highly of Cink. This will be a great match, IMO.

Like I said, I don't see Furyk & Perry winning this match outright, but halving this match could be seen as a moral victory. Kentucky's own Perry is out to showcase his homegrown talent, so I think he'll play some of the best golf of his life this week. This match will be determined by the ultra-streaky putting of Sergio Garcia. If Sergio's putter is hot, then the Americans will lose this match. If Sergio has a cold putter, then you'll most likely see a halve. I just don't honestly see Westwood being that insignificant in the match to let the Americans win a full point, regardless of Sergio's putter.

But seriously Azinger, Mickelson & Kim? Is that rookie hazing by making Kim play with Philly Mick? The amusing part is that Kim's been playing better golf this year than Mickelson, so it will come as no surprise if it's Phil that costs the Americans to lose this match. And lose badly.

Hoosier Red
09-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Man you really have some love for Henrik Stenson and hate on Phil Mickelson.

But hey 3 majors is probably pretty easy.

MWM
09-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Well, that didn't take lone. Phil out drives Harrington by 30 yards, yet Kaarlson steps up and knocks it 5 feet from the hole while Kim leaves Phil a 20 footer. One hole, one down for the US. Ugh!

MWM
09-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Great!!! So the Americans have lost the first hole in the first two matches. This is going to be fun. Mahan completely choked his first swing. The Leonard/Mahan team doesn't make much sense to me.

MWM
09-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Wow, what a wasted opportunity for MIckelson/Kim on #6. The euro tee shot was barely even playable and they hadto chip out laterally onto the fairway. They wind up winning the hole as they got it up and down from over 200 yards and Phil pushed his approach shot way right where all Kim could do was get it to about 15 feet.

Highlifeman21
09-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Man you really have some love for Henrik Stenson and hate on Phil Mickelson.

But hey 3 majors is probably pretty easy.

Phil's out there to cash checks. That's it.

He takes no pride in his game or his appearance. Golf is a job to him.

He played well enough in 3 tourneys at the right time to win some Majors, good for him. I give him credit for rethinking the way he played his game around the time that he won his first Masters, but since then he's reverted back to normal Phil (aka playing stupid golf). I look at Phil as a monumental waste of talent. It's not that I hate him (since hate is a strong word), but it's that I'm embarassed by him and he's a disgrace to himself.

But yeah, Henrik Stenson might as well change his name to Chris Denorfia in my book.

Hoosier Red
09-19-2008, 11:44 AM
WOW, the US has been amazing on the back 9. If play stopped right now, the US would lead 3-1.

Only wish I could watch this.

MWM
09-19-2008, 12:22 PM
WOW! What a choke job by Kim on #18. He looked like my weekend hacker golf buddies out of that bunker. That could be huge.

Highlifeman21
09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
I was wrong. Wow.

Great morning by the Americans.

MWM
09-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Quite the turn of events. USA leading 3-1 after the morning. Pressure now all on Europe. I will say this. I am a believer that it's a hell of a lot different playing when you're the big favorite. The Euros are learning that this morning.

MWM
09-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Oh man, Perry also choked on 18 hitting his tee shot in the water. They had a 2 up lead with two to go and blew it. Garcia's unbeaten streak in the alternate shot format remains intact.

MWM
09-19-2008, 01:09 PM
It was darn near close to being a sweep by the Americans in the morning. Of the two matches that were halved, the Perry/Furyk one SHOULD have been won and the other one very well could have with Kim duffing his bunker shot on 18. Should be an interesting afternoon.

bucksfan2
09-19-2008, 02:01 PM

He played well enough in 3 tourneys at the right time to win some Majors, good for him. I give him credit for rethinking the way he played his game around the time that he won his first Masters, but since then he's reverted back to normal Phil (aka playing stupid golf). I look at Phil as a monumental waste of talent. It's not that I hate him (since hate is a strong word), but it's that I'm embarassed by him and he's a disgrace to himself.

But yeah, Henrik Stenson might as well change his name to Chris Denorfia in my book.

Phil plays like an idiot. When his is on and confident he is one of the toughest players to beat in the world. When he is off, he takes a back seat to a lot of people. I still don't think he has recovered from his brain dead decision in the US Open a few years ago. However Phil could very easily get hot and carry this American team through the Ryder Cup.

Highlifeman21
09-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Apparently Azinger found the time machine and turned back the clock on Justin Leonard...

RawOwl UK
09-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Some of the golf has been breathtaking.

I can see this being 4-4 at the end of today.

But ANYTHING can still happen today.

Hoosier Red
09-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Apparently Azinger found the time machine and turned back the clock on Justin Leonard...

He's had a pretty decent season. I assume he and Curtis both have had to have great seasons to get high enough on the point list.

Highlifeman21
09-19-2008, 04:15 PM
He's had a pretty decent season. I assume he and Curtis both have had to have great seasons to get high enough on the point list.

To their credit, they both played well in the bigger point events. They both deserve to be on the team, IMO.

I hope Leonard keeps playing at this higher that usual level, b/c it's making for some great golf.

Redlegs23
09-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Leonard is playing really well today, as is Mahan. Hope they can keep it up. I would be very surprised if Azinger splits up those two or Mickelson and Kim, and I also would be surprised if Curtis plays at all tomorrow. Although Azinger might throw him out there to try and spur his confidence a little.

Highlifeman21
09-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Again, I was wrong.

I sure as heck didn't see this Day 1 coming.

In fact, I figured quite the opposite.

RFS62
09-19-2008, 07:02 PM
This is going to be the weekend that Boo raises his endorsement value big time.

Highlifeman21
09-19-2008, 08:50 PM
This is going to be the weekend that Boo raises his endorsement value big time.

Especially for John Deere

Redlegs23
09-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Especially for John Deere

Or Skoal

MWM
09-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Just finished watching it. Amazing day of golf.

Justin Leonard is THE MAN!

Phil played brilliantly today,and I'm lovin' Boo Weekly.

Hoosier Red
09-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I hope that 18 from yesterday doesn't come back to haunt. I really can't understand why if you're in a position where the other team has to win the hole, you would even flirt with the creek side of the fairway.

And to do it in two matches is especially terrible.

Michael Young
09-20-2008, 05:50 PM
why do they concede short putts? i'd want to make them make them all just in case

Highlifeman21
09-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Robert Karlsson was worthless before the back 9 this afternoon.

Poulter has been the Euro's MVP, to this point.

Leonard and Mahan have been the American's MVPs to this point.

The singles matches are going to be exciting tomorrow, to say the least.

SunDeck
09-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I couldn't help myself- I was rooting for Europe to get to within one point.

Michael Young
09-20-2008, 07:48 PM
no way. i let out a scream when he missed the eagle :D

Michael Young
09-20-2008, 07:52 PM
that last 1/2 point on 18 was massive

RANDY IN INDY
09-20-2008, 09:12 PM

Wow! Sounds like you have the same feelings about Phil that a lot of folks have expressed about one of the Reds former outfielders.

Redhook
09-20-2008, 09:24 PM
I just saw the matchups for tomorrow. They look really good for Europe, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Europe takes an early lead tomorrow to the put the heat on the US of A. I think the US will respond and win a very close Ryder Cup.

George Foster
09-20-2008, 10:29 PM
I just saw the matchups for tomorrow. They look really good for Europe, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Europe takes an early lead tomorrow to the put the heat on the US of A. I think the US will respond and win a very close Ryder Cup.

Will I guess that the US stratagy is to win this thing early. Sunday's Singles Pairings Set12:03 PM: Kim (USA) vs. Garcia (EUR)
12:14 PM: Mahan (USA) vs. Casey (EUR)
12:25 PM: Leonard (USA) vs. Karlsson (EUR)
12:36 PM: Mickelson (USA) vs. Rose (EUR)
12:47 PM: Perry (USA) vs. Stenson (EUR)
12:58 PM: Weekley (USA) vs. WIlson (EUR)
1:09 PM: Holmes (USA) vs. Hansen (EUR)
1:20 PM: Furyk (USA) vs. Jimenez (EUR)
1:31 PM: Cink (USA) vs. McDowell (EUR)
1:42 PM: Stricker (USA) vs. Poulter (EUR)
1:53 PM: Curtis (USA) vs. Westwood (EUR)
2:04 PM: Campbell vs. Harrington (EUR)

If Azinger thinks Stricker, Curtis, and Campbell have a chance, he is dreaming. He is praying it's over by then. Can you imagine Campbell and Harrington on 18 tied 13 1/2 to 13 1/2? Ugly!

Kim has not played that great either and I like the fact he is being sacrificed against Garcia, first out of the gate.

The question is will Phil "show-up?" Sunday is not a great day of golf for him historically.

George Foster
09-20-2008, 10:43 PM
The last number is the total points scored by the golfer. and the 2nd to last number is the total number of matches played. Hunter Mahan has been a stud! 4 matches, 3 points! So has Poulter.

I would of benched Curtis all day today, and played the hottest putter in the world, Justin Leonard, this afternoon.

Foursomes
W-L-T Fourball
W-L-T Singles
W-L-T Total
W-L-T Matches Points
Phil Mickelson 0-1-1 1-0-1 0-0-0 1-1-2 4 2.0
Stewart Cink 1-1-0 0-0-0 0-0-0 1-1-0 2 1.0
Kenny Perry 1-0-1 0-1-0 0-0-0 1-1-1 3 1.5
Jim Furyk 1-0-1 0-1-0 0-0-0 1-1-1 3 1.5
Anthony Kim 0-1-1 1-0-0 0-0-0 1-1-1 3 1.5
Justin Leonard 1-0-1 1-0-0 0-0-0 2-0-1 3 2.5
Ben Curtis 0-0-0 0-1-1 0-0-0 0-1-1 2 0.5
Boo Weekley 0-0-0 1-0-1 0-0-0 1-0-1 2 1.5
Steve Stricker 0-0-0 0-1-1 0-0-0 0-1-1 2 0.5
Hunter Mahan 1-0-1 1-0-1 0-0-0 2-0-2 4 3.0
J.B. Holmes 0-0-0 1-0-1 0-0-0 1-0-1 2 1.5
Chad Campbell 1-1-0 0-0-0 0-0-0 1-1-0 2 1.0

Europe
Foursomes
W-L-T Fourball
W-L-T Singles
W-L-T Total
W-L-T Matches Points
Paul Casey 0-1-0 0-0-1 0-0-0 0-1-1 2 0.5
Sergio Garcia 0-0-1 0-1-1 0-0-0 0-1-2 3 1.0
Søren Hansen 0-0-0 0-1-1 0-0-0 0-1-1 2 0.5
Padraig Harrington 0-1-1 0-1-0 0-0-0 0-2-1 3 0.5
Miguel Angel Jiménez 0-0-1 0-1-0 0-0-0 0-1-1 2 0.5
Robert Karlsson 0-1-1 0-0-1 0-0-0 0-1-2 3 1.0
Graeme McDowell 0-0-1 1-1-0 0-0-0 1-1-1 3 1.5
Ian Poulter 1-1-0 2-0-0 0-0-0 3-1-0 4 3.0
Justin Rose 1-1-0 1-0-0 0-0-0 2-1-0 3 2.0
Henrik Stenson 1-1-0 0-0-1 0-0-0 1-1-1 3 1.5
Lee Westwood 0-0-1 0-1-1 0-0-0 0-1-2 3 1.0
Oliver Wilson 1-0-0 0-0-0 0-0-0 1-0-0 1 1.0

MWM
09-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Absolutely amazing day of golf. I felt the US reallyleft a coupleof points out on the course.

Justin Leonard was phenomenal this morning. Jim Furyk was about as clutch as can be in the afternoon. I love Steve Stricker. So soft spoken and comes up with the clutchest of putt son #18. even more, I loved his reaction after he holed the putt behind Sergio's explosion. That was priceless.

Mahan was really good both days, but that missed 3 footer probably cost thema half point.

I LOVED that Boo took it to Westwood today. That also was priceless.

Collosal meltdown by Phil this morning. And it rubbed off on Kim. That was ugly.

I felt bad for Perry and Furyk. Not much more they could have done. The two best Euro players of the day were Poulter and McDowell. Paired together, I don't think anyone could have beat them.

Ian Poulter is just an arse. No other way to say it. First class jackass.

As for tomorrow, I don't have such a good feeling. I consider iteven going into tomorrow because I don't see any way that Holmes or Curtis could possibly not get beat. Curtis has been awful and Holmes hasn't been much better. I'mactually relieved to see Westwood against Curtis as it's taking their best guy and going against our worst. I love the idea of punting with Curtis.

But I think it's going to be close. I see the Euros winning 7.5to 4.5 and win by one.

paintmered
09-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Highlights from today:

* 10 minutes after I got to the course this morning, I was walking down the right hand side of #1. As luck would have it, Justin Leonard hit his opening tee shot about 20 feet away from me. I got to see Hunter Mahan hit the ensuing approach shot from about 10 feet away, front row and from directly behind (you might have seen me on TV). But Hunter did not have an easy shot into the green and yet, he made the sweetest contact I've ever seen on a golf ball. It's just phenomenal the level of talent of these players. Everyone knows that this field is arguably the top 24 players (minus Tiger) out of the USA and Europe. But it's not so easy to know just how mind-boggingly great these guys are at the game. The difference in ability between the players is razor thin. It's something that doesn't come out while watching on TV, but it's exceedingly apparent while watching them play in person.

* The "Official Ryder Cup Radio" was the best $11 I've ever spent. It was a joy listening to the banter of the BBC radio while out on the course. It's also surreal to hear the roar of the gallery on the radio before hearing it in person.

* It is obvious that Jack designed Valhalla with tournament play in mind. Each of the holes are basically amphitheaters with high ground surrounding the entire hole. This made it pretty easy for all 40,000 patrons to have a view of the action, especially around the greens.

* As impressive as Hunter Mahan has been in this tournament, he made an awful choice to putt the ball on 18 in the morning session. There was no way he was going to put the ball with 8 feet while keeping it on the ground. As a result, he put it 10 feet from the pin and Justin missed the resulting putt - and the Americans lost out on a 1/2 point.

* I don't think I will ever again see anyone stake a six-iron from 220 out on a 600 yard par-5 again like J.B. Holmes did on 10. That was really cool and the Euros made the right decision to give him the putt.

* The gallery was colorful and I was surprised at the number of Euros that made the trip. There were lots of Brits, Irish and Swedes in attendance.

* The amount of infrastructure to support the tournament is quite the feat. There is a 38,000 square foot temporary pro shop set up, multiple PGA learning centers, dozens of giant video boards. The PGA really spared no expense at putting this thing on.

* I peed next to Roger Maltbie. Yes, even TV commentators have to use the bathroom from time to time.

* As I think of more stuff, I'll add it here....

Patrick Bateman
09-21-2008, 01:11 AM
* I peed next to Roger Maltbie. Yes, even TV commentators have to use the bathroom from time to time.

Did you do a sword fight?

paintmered
09-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Did you do a sword fight?

Snarky response: Well, he was in a bit of a hurry with NBC contractual obligations and all. And plus, J.B. Holmes was on the course at the time and he can bomb it a long way - longer than me anyways. And while there is no study exists that correlates the size of male genitalia with the average drive length, I think Roger understood that he was better suited to find his play elsewhere. Really, it comes down to that I don't hit an average drive 350 yards. And I had time to explain all of this to him as we gazed longingly into each other's eyes while going to the bathroom...

http://www.thegolfwatch.com/my_weblog/images/2008/06/07/maltbie_3.jpg:luvu:

Serious reponse: Erm...no. We were in separate port-a-pots. And your comment really wasn't appropriate.

Highlifeman21
09-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Will I guess that the US stratagy is to win this thing early. Sunday's Singles Pairings

12:03 PM: Kim (USA) vs. Garcia (EUR)
12:14 PM: Mahan (USA) vs. Casey (EUR)
12:25 PM: Leonard (USA) vs. Karlsson (EUR)
12:36 PM: Mickelson (USA) vs. Rose (EUR)
12:47 PM: Perry (USA) vs. Stenson (EUR)
12:58 PM: Weekley (USA) vs. Wilson (EUR)
1:09 PM: Holmes (USA) vs. Hansen (EUR)
1:20 PM: Furyk (USA) vs. Jimenez (EUR)
1:31 PM: Cink (USA) vs. McDowell (EUR)
1:42 PM: Stricker (USA) vs. Poulter (EUR)
1:53 PM: Curtis (USA) vs. Westwood (EUR)
2:04 PM: Campbell vs. Harrington (EUR)

If Azinger thinks Stricker, Curtis, and Campbell have a chance, he is dreaming. He is praying it's over by then. Can you imagine Campbell and Harrington on 18 tied 13 1/2 to 13 1/2? Ugly!

Kim has not played that great either and I like the fact he is being sacrificed against Garcia, first out of the gate.

The question is will Phil "show-up?" Sunday is not a great day of golf for him historically.

Curtis vs Westwood is the "who gives a crap, let's go grab a beer" match. Westwood's playing like crap, and Curtis is playing like crap, so this match could ultimately be the worst one of the day.

I bolded my winners. I see this going 6 to 6, which means even though I predicted the Euros to win, they need to win 7 matches to retain, and based on these pairings and how the Americans have been playing, I don't see the Euros winning more than 6.

Honestly, and I never thought I'd say this, but Holmes and Weekley are the keys to the singles. If they play how they played yesterday, then the Americans keep the Cup stateside. If they don't, then Azinger's last 3 sacrificial lambs will have to play out of their butts, and 1 of those 3 will have to be a clinching W.

That being said, I think Cink clinches his match, and the Cup for the Americans, on the 16th green.

Highlifeman21
09-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Absolutely amazing day of golf. I felt the US reallyleft a coupleof points out on the course.

Justin Leonard was phenomenal this morning. Jim Furyk was about as clutch as can be in the afternoon. I love Steve Stricker. So soft spoken and comes up with the clutchest of putt son #18. even more, I loved his reaction after he holed the putt behind Sergio's explosion. That was priceless.

Mahan was really good both days, but that missed 3 footer probably cost thema half point.

I LOVED that Boo took it to Westwood today. That also was priceless.

Collosal meltdown by Phil this morning. And it rubbed off on Kim. That was ugly.

I felt bad for Perry and Furyk. Not much more they could have done. The two best Euro players of the day were Poulter and McDowell. Paired together, I don't think anyone could have beat them.

Ian Poulter is just an arse. No other way to say it. First class jackass.

As for tomorrow, I don't have such a good feeling. I consider iteven going into tomorrow because I don't see any way that Holmes or Curtis could possibly not get beat. Curtis has been awful and Holmes hasn't been much better. I'mactually relieved to see Westwood against Curtis as it's taking their best guy and going against our worst. I love the idea of punting with Curtis.

But I think it's going to be close. I see the Euros winning 7.5to 4.5 and win by one.

What makes you feel this way about Poulter?

Hoosier Red
09-21-2008, 12:09 PM
why is it so hard for golfers to understand the dynamics of a high five?

Seriously, Right hand-right hand, left hand-left hand. Don't make things harder than they need to be.

SunDeck
09-21-2008, 12:56 PM
What makes you feel this way about Poulter?

I wanted to know that too. He seemed pretty intense, which I figured came from all the negative press about him being a poor captain's choice. But generally, I enjoy the way these guys get amped up over the Ryder Cup.

MWM
09-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Honestly, and I never thought I'd say this, but Holmes and Weekley are the keys to the singles. If they play how they played yesterday, then the Americans keep the Cup stateside. If they don't, then Azinger's last 3 sacrificial lambs will have to play out of their butts, and 1 of those 3 will have to be a clinching W.

I don't agree on Holmes. He's been incredibly erratic. He's had a few moments, but for the most part, he's not been very good.

As for Poulter, he just seems psychotic, not intense. He's wound so tight, it looks like he could explode at any moment. Intense competitors like the way most on both sides behave I like, Poulter just appears to be insane. Just my perception, but he acts like an idiot.

MWM
09-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Sergio trying to pull one over, and it looks like he's been successful. that was no "normal stance" and I think Kim knows it.

edit: turns out he took an unplayable anyway so it didn't matter.

Michael Young
09-21-2008, 01:13 PM
i missed it mwm what was he doing?

MWM
09-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Look, I take it back. Let's talk about the Ryder Cup, not Poulter.

Michael Young
09-21-2008, 01:19 PM
no i meant garcia, my friend

MWM
09-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Ah, sorry. He lost one right on #5 into somevery heavy stuff. It was close to the stairs and he wanted to take a drop because his "normal stance" put his left foot on the edge of the stairs. But it appeared to me he was taking some liberties with his left foot on his "normal stance." Kim also looked like he had some questions about whether it was a normal stance or not. I think Sergio was hoping for a better lie. But his drop didn't leave himany better, so he took an unplayable lie anyway.

Hoosier Red
09-21-2008, 01:35 PM
And then Garcia puts two in the water.

MWM
09-21-2008, 01:37 PM
One of the great things about Ryder Cup week is that I become fans of some of the younger American golfers. I was kind of lukewarm on Mahan and Kim prior to this.I didn't displike them, but they always seemed a little cocky to me (my perception could be off though). But this week has made me big time fans of both guys. Mahan missed a bunny on #1, but has been bones ever since making a couple of long putts to halve holes that could have won by Casey. That guy has some serious game. And Ilove Kim's youthful enthusiasm. He's really in to the Ryder Cup and I love that.

Hoosier Red
09-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Denorfia, I mean Henrik Stenson is down 3 after 5 holes.

MWM
09-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Wow, the only thing keepin Euro in this thing is Poulter and McDowell. Who woulda thunk it?

Hoosier Red
09-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Especially with the US with some big flags on the board right now, Kim and Perry being 3 up, it magnafies how much help it is to be in the lead.

When playing from behind, every halved match is a half point that you can't make up.
When playing from ahead, a halved match is one half point closer to the total.

MWM
09-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Boooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I've also became a big fan of his.

MWM
09-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Momentum starting to shift to the Euros.

Michael Young
09-21-2008, 02:26 PM
why do they concede short putts? i'd want to make them make them all just in case

:D good work kim

jimbo
09-21-2008, 02:28 PM
And then Garcia puts two in the water.

Was I the only one who was wishing he would go "Tin Cup" on us and keep draining shots into the water until he made the green?

MWM
09-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Is it wrong for me to get A LOT of enjoyment out of Sergio missing that short putt?

I kinda feel bad for Leonard. Kaarlson is by far the best player in this thing at this moment. I don't think anyone could play with him when he's playing like this.

MWM
09-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Mahan sinks ANOTHER long one. He's really stepped up this week.

Michael Young
09-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Is it wrong for me to get A LOT of enjoyment out of Sergio missing that short putt?

I kinda feel bad for Leonard. Kaarlson is by far the best player in this thing at this moment. I don't think anyone could play with him when he's playing like this.

i was lmao

MWM
09-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Sergio in full metldown mode. Let's hope Kim can keep the pressure on.

MWM
09-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Geez, Phil is sure frustrating. I don't buy the "cashing a check" argument, but he's just not there upstairs so often when the pressure is on.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:00 PM
wow, hats off the Kim. I did not think he had it in him today. Garcia has been so strong in past Ryder Cups.

It looks as if Leonard has ran into a hot putter today and his has cooled off.

and Phil is being Phil today, down 3 through 11. They said today that Phil has only won 2 points in the last 15 Ryder cup matches. Is that possible?

MWM
09-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I have a not-so-good feeling right about now. Mahan really needs to win his match. If Mahan loses, that will spell trouble for the US.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Other than Kim, do you get the feeling we are starting to leak oil?

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Kim just spanked Garcia...5 and 4...wow. He did not even know he won it.

MWM
09-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Other than Kim, do you get the feeling we are starting to leak oil?

Yep. If you look at who's leading right now, the ones we're down that are close are much more likely to go the other way than the ones we are losing close. And the tied ones I think favor them as well.

I think the final 3 matches will definitely go to Europe. I don't see Holmes winning either.

With Kim, the US still needs 4.5. I think Perry and Weekley will win. They still need 2.5 points. They don't have any other matches that I think they are favored. They need two of Mahan, Furyk, and Cink to win desperately, and they need a half from someone else. I just don't see where that half point will come from. If Holmes can pull a half point, that would be HUGE.

In other words, they have to get 2.5 points from Mahan, Furyk, Cink, and Holmes. That's going to be tough. The restof the points I see going to Europe barring one of the Euro players in those matches going completely cold.

The US really needed a half point from Mickelson. When it's all said and done, we might look at the Mickelson/Kim meltdown from Saturday and the 2 point swing that cost them the Cup.

So while the score swings in favor of the US right now, I think it's even money on who will win. I wouldn't bet either way. If I had a gun to my head, I'd say Europe will win with 14.5-15 points. They're just deeper than the US.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:21 PM
What we are not considering is a number of these matches could end all square, which does not help the europeans.;)

MWM
09-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Looks like the one unexpected factor in the US favor is Padraig Harrington. He's really struggling. I fully expect him to turn it on down the back 9, but if Campbell can squeak out a half point, that would be as big as can be.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:30 PM
what happened to Perry? I left the room and they said he was hurt?

MWM
09-21-2008, 03:34 PM
He's had someback and knee problems historically. Plus, he's 48 and has played a lot of golf the last few days. His lead has been cut in half. The US in in deep trouble is they don't get a full point from him. I think he'll find it somewhere deep inside and win his match. Stenson is a hell of a match play player, though.

guttle11
09-21-2008, 03:35 PM
They said he hurt his shoulder on the tenth hole.

MWM
09-21-2008, 03:36 PM
I said back in the spring that I'd consider trading a Reds World Series for a US Ryder Cup win. I want the US to win this so badly.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:43 PM
He's had someback and knee problems historically. Plus, he's 48 and has played a lot of golf the last few days. His lead has been cut in half. The US in in deep trouble is they don't get a full point from him. I think he'll find it somewhere deep inside and win his match. Stenson is a hell of a match play player, though.

If I'm not mistaken, Stenson won the match championship in 06 and finished 3rd in 07...is that right?

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Phil is getting it handed to him right now....sad.

Holmes is now all-square.

Campbell had a brain cramp on #6....went for it in 2 and lost the hole...Harrington was in the rough....dumb

MWM
09-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Dude, what in the hell was Chad Campbell thinking?Just a bone head decision.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:48 PM
what would be horrible would be a 14-14 tie. The "what if's" would go on for months...

MWM
09-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Well, the US needs 4.5 points and are only winning in 4 matches with only two tied. Not looking great. One way or another, it's going to come down to the wire.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Well, the US needs 4.5 points and are only winning in 4 matches with only two tied. Not looking great. One way or another, it's going to come down to the wire.

Cambell, Curtis, and Striker.....

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Mahan has to win that match.....

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Justin just got beat.....that was one I had as a win....:confused:

MWM
09-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I only wish Mickelson had been against Kaarlson. He was goingto win no matter who he played, and Phil was going to lose no matter who heplayed.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Perry is going south....in a hurry

George Foster
09-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Stricker is beat....4 down after 9 holes. So much for Faldo taking heat for not picking Colin Montgomery. Good call Nick!

MWM
09-21-2008, 03:59 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUGE putt by Mahan. Unreal. If that doesn't go in, it's going 10 feet by the hole.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Mahan just hit a put that could change everything...

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Zinger just told Mahan to calm the #$%^ down...:D

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:02 PM
US putter's are heating up a little..

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:04 PM
God Mahan....

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Wow, Mahan just put it in the hazard. He was WAY too hyped up. How deflating.

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, that's another half point blown on the 18th. How many of those have the US had this week compared to Europe?

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Well... 1/2 points don't help the europeans but I had Mahan winning that watch as well. Of course, I had Kim losing..

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Doesn't matter what we had going into the match. It only matters what's on the board right now. A full point from Mahan and I like our chances. A half point, not so much.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Well, that's another half point blown on the 18th. How many of those have the US had this week compared to Europe?

you know most good golfers when they hit a bad drive they hook it. I've seen a lot in the water this week. 5 years ago I hit the fairway.....still made 6, I hit it in the bunker in front of the green.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Phil can go home now...

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Sure would be nice to have Tiger today.

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:12 PM
This whole "retaining" the cup thing is weak. If you tie, you don't win and souldn't be celebrating anything.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Kenny played great...47 years old. 2-1-1...who would of thought it 8 months ago..??

Hoosier Red
09-21-2008, 04:23 PM
This whole "retaining" the cup thing is weak. If you tie, you don't win and souldn't be celebrating anything.

I disagree, they have the cup until someone wins it from them. THe honus should be on the team trying to get it back.

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I disagree, they have the cup until someone wins it from them. THe honus should be on the team trying to get it back.

Well, I don't see it that way. Sure, if someone HAS to actually hold the cup, the it should be with the team who won it last. But as for competition, tying is not even close to winning.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:29 PM
WHEN Boo and Furyk win that is 13 1/2 points so if Homes and Campbell could tie, that is 14 and 1/2 points!

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Graeme McDowell is just sick.

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Things are a looking better, but it's still too close for comfort.

Hoosier Red
09-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Well, I don't see it that way. Sure, if someone HAS to actually hold the cup, the it should be with the team who won it last. But as for competition, tying is not even close to winning.

I do agree celebrating like you won it goes a bit far.

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I do agree celebrating like you won it goes a bit far.

Yep, that's what I meant.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Boo wins....it's over barring a chip in....we need 2 more points

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Wow,big swing there. Cink misses one about 5 feet and Holmes misses a four footer. Now Cink is down 2 instead of one and Holmes is now AS instead of 1 up.

I like Holmes and all, but I'm not sure he has the putter for this type of event. If that guy became a plus putter, he could win a lot on tour.

Hoosier Red
09-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Wow, Curtis got it back to AS vs. Westwood.

I think everyone would be surprised if the Cup came down to those last three matches and the US won 1 1/2 points. But that's where we are today.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm starting to smell it baby!!!! The sweet odor of victory...

Boo wins!!

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:40 PM

I think everyone would be surprised if the Cup came down to those last three matches and the US won 1 1/2 points. But that's where we are today.

That's exactly what I said last last night.

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:41 PM

Stranger things have happened.

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:45 PM
I can't say enough about the understated Jim Furyk this week. I've gained a whole new respect for him this week.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:49 PM
how ironic a Kentucky Boy could win the deciding point.
When Furyk wins it will come down to Holmes.:thumbup:

Michael Young
09-21-2008, 04:51 PM
i love the way holmes grips it and rips it :D

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:51 PM
LOL at Holmes swing off tee on #17.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:52 PM
LOL at Holmes swing off tee on #17.
he has to be 75-80 yards ahead...

George Foster
09-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Holmes just won the Ryder Cup!!!! I'm calling it!

Hoosier Red
09-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Holmes may win before Furyk does.

MWM
09-21-2008, 04:59 PM
I take back everything I said about JB Holmes. I was clearly wrong and clearly underestimated him.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I take back everything I said about JB Holmes. I was clearly wrong and clearly underestimated him.

Kentucky Boy Coming up BIG!!!!! Go big BLUE!!!

George Foster
09-21-2008, 05:06 PM
you know, I say give it back to Zinger again in 2010, can they do that? Who makes the decision?

MWM
09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Little bad luck for Furyk with his ball landing in a divot on #17.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Furyk needs a 2 putt to win the Ryder. I don't see "ponytail" making that birdie putt.

George Foster
09-21-2008, 05:14 PM
We win!!

MWM
09-21-2008, 05:15 PM
This is incredible. The Ryder Cup is back in the hands of the Americans.

These last 3 days have been nothing short of unbelievable to watch.

Michael Young
09-21-2008, 05:19 PM
yessssssssssssssssssssssssss :D :D :D :D

Michael Young
09-21-2008, 05:20 PM
:usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

Razor Shines
09-21-2008, 05:25 PM
These 3 days of golf have been so much fun to watch. I love the Ryder Cup.

Michael Young
09-21-2008, 06:01 PM
it should also be said that the americans celebration was much classier than the europeans of the last few ryders

guttle11
09-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Just a great three days of golf. I was worried that without Tiger and a few of the European big names the level of play would fall off...but it arguably was the best it's been in a long time.

jimbo
09-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Anyone watching the Golf channel and listening to the interview with Westwood where he is b!tching about the American crowd and how he prefers to play overseas as opposed to in the states? I guess he has also made some comments about Weekley at some point during the weekend. I did see Westwood staring him down a few times.

He didn't have a good weekend, I guess maybe he should focus more on his game and less on the crowd and the actions of his opposition.

USA USA USA!!!!!

MWM
09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Just a great three days of golf. I was worried that without Tiger and a few of the European big names the level of play would fall off...but it arguably was the best it's been in a long time.

I agree. The caliber of golf was simply breathtaking.

MWM
09-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Anyone watching the Golf channel and listening to the interview with Westwood where he is b!tching about the American crowd and how he prefers to play overseas as opposed to in the states? I guess he has also made some comments about Weekley at some point during the weekend. I did see Westwood staring him down a few times.

I didn't see what he said, so I'll withold some judgement. I hope they're not too much sour grapes. I've always like Westwood, but he could very well become the next Colin Montgomery. He's won all of one time in the states and that was some no name tournament a long time ago. But his entire demeanor this week reaked of whinysour grapes.

As for crowds, I don't see how any Europeans could, with a straight face, complain about the American crowds if they've experienced Ryder Cups in Europe with their crowds. They're every bit as rowdy as ours.

Redhook
09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Yea, that didn't suck. Loved it! I wish I could play in one of them. I just can't imagine what that would feel like.

It was great to see Boo shine this week. He's a great, great guy. I've had the pleasure to have played with him a half a dozen times a few years back on a mini-tour. He's a redneck, but a class-act. You'd have to try real hard to find something negative to say about him.

jimbo
09-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I didn't see what he said, so I'll withold some judgement. I hope they're not too much sour grapes. I've always like Westwood, but he could very well become the next Colin Montgomery. He's won all of one time in the states and that was some no name tournament a long time ago. But his entire demeanor this week reaked of whinysour grapes.

As for crowds, I don't see how any Europeans could, with a straight face, complain about the American crowds if they've experienced Ryder Cups in Europe with their crowds. They're every bit as rowdy as ours.

As I'm watching the European press conference, and I can now say I have a player to always root against. Westwood is a first-class jerk. IMO, the reason why players like Colin and Westwood are so disliked here is not because how often they win, but just their overall demeanor. I'm not condoning any fan going over the line by yelling obscenities to a player, but the reason why it happens to players like Westwood is because they can't keep their mouths shut. Instead of just letting Weekely do his thing or talk to him privately about it, he has to go whining to the press and that's how it all starts. Like I said earlier, maybe he would have had a better weekend if he wasn't so worried about what Weekely was doing or what a stupid fan was yelling at him, and just focused on his game.

Also, Olazabal hasn't changed a bit.

MWM
09-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I guarantee you Westwood had a few of those, "I can't believe I'm losing to this guy" moments in the two matches he played against Boo. He's just so opposite of the typical golfer stereotype, especially in Europe, that Lee probably struggled with that. The irony is that Lee on a couple of occassions showed a lack of class on the course with his interactions with the gallery. Like I said, I've always liked Lee, but sometimes losing the way they lost can really bring out the sourpuss in competitors. Losing head to head is different than not wining a tournament. It's much easier not to be a sore loser when you lose in a stroke play tournament.

MWM
09-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Boo Weekley is the new John Daly in the hearts of fans.

Chip R
09-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I love the Ryder Cup. I wish I could have seen more of it.

MWM
09-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I will say this, I might have been a little harsh on Poulter. I've always thought he was a little weird, and his "me and Tiger" comments earlier in the year were just silly. But he handled the defeat with class based on the interview immendiately after. I was impressed with what he said and his demeanor in losing.

MWM
09-21-2008, 09:19 PM
I think ESPN's golf coverage is generally awful, but I'm kinf of euphoric right now, so I went to ESPN.com to see what they had to say on the front page. Well, the front page story was Miami beating New England. I was taken aback. I guess I just assumed that the US winning the Ryder cup for the first time in 9 years would be the obvious top story anywhere you turned.

HeatherC1212
09-21-2008, 09:23 PM
The Ryder Cup was SO enjoyable to watch this weekend! I'm not even a huge golf fan and I watched quite a bit of it. I appreciate how easy those guys can make this game look because I know how NOT easy golf is from playing in my first company golf outing a few weeks ago! To say that I was bad would be a massive understatement, LOL :laugh:

Go Team USA!!! :D

HeatherC1212
09-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I think ESPN's golf coverage is generally awful, but I'm kinf of euphoric right now, so I went to ESPN.com to see what they had to say on the front page. Well, the front page story was Miami beating New England. I was taken aback. I guess I just assumed that the US winning the Ryder cup for the first time in 9 years would be the obvious top story anywhere you turned.

I'm surprised their lead story wasn't about Yankee Stadium since ESPN has done nothing but cover that all day today. :eek:

MWM
09-21-2008, 09:34 PM
The Ryder Cup was SO enjoyable to watch this weekend! I'm not even a huge golf fan and I watched quite a bit of it. I appreciate how easy those guys can make this game look because I know how NOT easy golf is from playing in my first company golf outing a few weeks ago! To say that I was bad would be a massive understatement, LOL :laugh:

Go Team USA!!! :D

I can't think of many times I enjoyed watching golf more that this. A few that are close:

1999 Ryder Cup: I watched the entire day Sunday and THAT was freaking awesome.

1997 Masters : it wasn't close at all, but seeing the coronation of Tiger Woods is something I'll never forget.

2000 PGA (also at Valhalla):Tiger Woods. Bob May. 'nuf said.

2005 Masters: I was watching this on the big screen at the student lounge fro my grad school program. It was right around finals and a bunch of folks were there studying. About the last hour, about 40 people congregated around the TV to watch Tiger down the stretch. "The Shot" on #16 was unreal. when it looked like it was going in, every started to yell, then when it looked like it stopped short, everyone collectively exhaled, followed by the explosion after it fell. It was awesome.

2007 Deutsche Bank - About the only time Tiger and Phil battled it out down the stretch of a tourney. Phil won by two strokes shooting a 5 under par to win the tournament. That was exciting on Labor Day.

This one might take the take. I'm still blown away by the quality of the golf played. The Europeans played very well, so it's not like they US took advantage of poor play by the Euros.

Michael Young
09-21-2008, 10:53 PM
I guarantee you Westwood had a few of those, "I can't believe I'm losing to this guy" moments in the two matches he played against Boo. He's just so opposite of the typical golfer stereotype, especially in Europe, that Lee probably struggled with that. The irony is that Lee on a couple of occassions showed a lack of class on the course with his interactions with the gallery. Like I said, I've always liked Lee, but sometimes losing the way they lost can really bring out the sourpuss in competitors. Losing head to head is different than not wining a tournament. It's much easier not to be a sore loser when you lose in a stroke play tournament.

westwood came across like a horse's arse this weekend

Highlifeman21
09-21-2008, 11:15 PM
I hate being wrong about Team Europe, but I love the fact that Team USA regained the Ryder Cup.

I honestly anticipated a blow out of epic proportions, but it just didn't happen. The "best" Euros didn't show up. That was the difference. To put this weekend into perspective, this is basically the same as a 15 seed beating a 2 seed in the NCAA tourney. Huge huge upset.

Part of me wonders if the Euros vastly took the Americans for granted, and assumed they'd stomp the US on their home turf.

Regardless, great golf this weekend by a golfers not many of us knew before, and some absolutely horrendous golf by some household names.

I'm also wondering if anyone's going to sit next to Westwood or Harrington on the trip home...

MWM
09-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Highlifeman, I think maybe you idealized the Euros a little too much. I thought a blowout might by the Euros was a distinct possibility, but I thought it was more because they always play so much better than the Americans in this event.

It wasn't my perception that the Euros played poorly. Actually, I thought they played very well, not too dissimilarly to how they've played the past two. The difference, in my eyes, was clearly the American play. the Euros still made putts and hit great shots. The difference is that the americans matched them this time and made more putts. McDowell, Poulter, and Kaarlson played about as brilliantly as any Euro has played in any Ryder Cup.

But the US team had several players play out of their minds. Boo Weekley gets a lot of attention because of his personality, but they guy was nails this week. The guy he played against shot 3 under on the front 9 and found himself 3 down as Weekley shot 6 under. Boo pretty much singel handedly beat Westwood and his partner yesterday afternoon.

Furyk played about as well as he's ever played. He was Mr. Automatic with his irons all 3 days and was sinking putts all over the place.

Justin Leonard was nasty with his putter on Saturday. It seems like he couldn't miss. He got beat by a superior opponent on Sunday, but he played ou of his mind on Friday and Saturday.

Hunter Mahan had a couple of missteps, but he played great almost the entire event.

Anthony Kim played poorly with Phil on the back nine Saturday morning, but was pretty phenomenal most of the competition.

Look at that approach shot Campbell hit to the par 5 on Friday.

Kenny Perry sunk putt after putt and hit many a great shot.

Steve Stricker made just a sick up and down on Saturday afternoon to get a critical half point.

So I couldn't disagree more with your assessment that the difference was the Euros not being the Euros. they're not invincible. With the exception of Sergio, the Euros were every bit as good as they've always been. I don't see which household names played poorly. Heck, even Westwood played well. He just ran into Boo who played out of his mind. So I think the best Euros showed up, except Sergio and Harrington (and Harrongton hasn't played well in the Ryder Cup in a while now, so I don't think that was much of a surprise). I believe this US Ryder Cup team would have won any of the previous 3 playing the way they played.

It was great play by the Americans, not poor play by the Euros.

bucksfan2
09-22-2008, 08:17 AM
So I couldn't disagree more with your assessment that the difference was the Euros not being the Euros. they're not invincible. With the exception of Sergio, the Euros were every bit as good as they've always been. I don't see which household names played poorly. Heck, even Westwood played well. He just ran into Boo who played out of his mind. So I think the best Euros showed up, except Sergio and Harrington (and Harrongton hasn't played well in the Ryder Cup in a while now, so I don't think that was much of a surprise). I believe this US Ryder Cup team would have won any of the previous 3 playing the way they played.

The Euro's top three of Paddy, Sergio, and Westwood (I believe) didn't do much to help the Euros. I don't think they won a match. I think Azinger made his best decision sending Kim out as the first US golfer on Sunday. From what I saw of the cup Kim looked excited and pumped up to be there. He took Sergio behind the woodshed beating him handily. I think that set the tone for the rest of the day.

On a side note Polter played amazing this weekend. Wow was he clutch. Boo's comment about his bunker shot being his 9th best was classic. How about Kenny Perry's dad coming onto the course after Perry won in overalls. Sergio is a class act, after the Americans won Sergio went over and congratulated the American team.

Roy Tucker
09-22-2008, 08:46 AM
JB Holmes made his HS golf team when he was in the 3rd grade? A 10 year letterman? Wow.

Match play is fun to watch. Instead of minimizing-your-losses shots, you get the go-for-broke shots. Different mind set and a different kind of player really.

I admire Miguel Jiménez for conceding that putt to Jim Furyk to win the whole deal. He kinda hesitated, but then shook hands.

Hoosier Red
09-22-2008, 09:10 AM
JB Holmes made his HS golf team when he was in the 3rd grade? A 10 year letterman? Wow.

Match play is fun to watch. Instead of minimizing-your-losses shots, you get the go-for-broke shots. Different mind set and a different kind of player really.

I admire Miguel Jiménez for conceding that putt to Jim Furyk to win the whole deal. He kinda hesitated, but then shook hands.

What's really amazing to me is how things change so quickly in golf.
Two years ago, after the 2nd blowout defeat, people looked at the European team and said, "Man, they may not lose for 10 years." Europe had all the young stars, David Howell, Paul Casey, Henrik Stenson, and Sergio. While Darren Clarke and Monty provided ample leadership, it was the young guys who were clearly asserting themselves.

Now look at this US team, Anthony Kim, Boo Weekly, Hunter Mahan, when Tiger comes back he'll only be 32. Heck Leonard's only 36 and is playing the best golf of his career. Phil is 38 and is still a top 10 level player, if not top 5.

NJReds
09-22-2008, 09:25 AM
I watched some of Sky Sports News for the Euro reaction. I couldn't believe the amount of whining from the EU fans/commentators about the US fans actions. Boo was over the top at times, but this was coming from a culture that tolerates the most violent, boorish and racist fan behavior on the planet at their soccer stadiums.

MWM
09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Heck, even Sergio said some of the younger players' enthusiasm was "over the top" a couple of times. Hey Sergio, how about your reaction to sinking the putt on #8 on Saturday? That wasn't over the top.

I've read some of the Euro media reaction and Faldo is getting lambasted. Geez, you'd think they thought it was an entitlement to win the Ryder Cup and that it was just a given that they should win every one. The arrogance is ridiculous.

I can see where they were coming from on the pumping up the crowd while the other team still had to play. But that one match in the afternoon on Friday that wound up being halved. Heck, after Saturday's match, evven Westwood said that Boo was much better and he had no problem at all with the how he handled himself.

The Euros sure are sore losers. Last time they lost all we heard about (and still hear about) is the reaction after Leonard's putt fell. You hear nothing about the great comeback or collapse of the Euros. Once Lenonard's putt went in it was virtually over so the reaction had nothing to do with nothing about the result, yet the legacy of that Ryder Cup has become the reaction, not the result thanks to Euro whining.

I agree, it's complete hypocrisy. The fans at Valhalla were loud, and that's it. The only person who has said they weren't well behaved was Westwood. Again, given how the Euro crowds are when the Ryder Cup is over there, I don't see how anyone could complain and keep a straight face.

jimbo
09-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes and excuse making to me.

Just watching their press conference last night, there was a certain level of smugness coming from the majority of them that was obvious. I thought they were at times disrespectful to the media's questions (yeah, we all know they ask stupid questions, but bite your tongue and answer respectfully). There were a couple of times when some of the players were goofing off and not listening to the questions being asked.

Westwood was by far the worst of the group. I though Sergio handled himself the best (during the press conference), even though he questioned some of the Americans as being a "little over the top at times." He just didn't come across with that smugness and condescending demeanor as most of the others.

MWM is right, a lot of hypocrisy.

Highlifeman21
09-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Highlifeman, I think maybe you idealized the Euros a little too much. I thought a blowout might by the Euros was a distinct possibility, but I thought it was more because they always play so much better than the Americans in this event.

It wasn't my perception that the Euros played poorly. Actually, I thought they played very well, not too dissimilarly to how they've played the past two. The difference, in my eyes, was clearly the American play. the Euros still made putts and hit great shots. The difference is that the americans matched them this time and made more putts. McDowell, Poulter, and Kaarlson played about as brilliantly as any Euro has played in any Ryder Cup.

But the US team had several players play out of their minds. Boo Weekley gets a lot of attention because of his personality, but they guy was nails this week. The guy he played against shot 3 under on the front 9 and found himself 3 down as Weekley shot 6 under. Boo pretty much singel handedly beat Westwood and his partner yesterday afternoon.

Furyk played about as well as he's ever played. He was Mr. Automatic with his irons all 3 days and was sinking putts all over the place.

Justin Leonard was nasty with his putter on Saturday. It seems like he couldn't miss. He got beat by a superior opponent on Sunday, but he played ou of his mind on Friday and Saturday.

Hunter Mahan had a couple of missteps, but he played great almost the entire event.

Anthony Kim played poorly with Phil on the back nine Saturday morning, but was pretty phenomenal most of the competition.

Look at that approach shot Campbell hit to the par 5 on Friday.

Kenny Perry sunk putt after putt and hit many a great shot.

Steve Stricker made just a sick up and down on Saturday afternoon to get a critical half point.

It was great play by the Americans, not poor play by the Euros.

I think it was both.

The Americans played great. Absolutely outstanding golf, not only as individuals, but as a team (a concept that's escaped the Americans since 1999).

The Euros, conversely, played inconsistent. Some of the Euros played downright dreadful (I'm lookin' at you Harrington, Westwood, Casey Garcia and Jimenez!). I wasn't sure what to expect out of Soren Hansen, so him only earning 1/2 point in 3 matches raises eyebrows, but maybe that's to be expected based on his level of talent and lack of experience. The problem for the Euros was a lack of points from the horses. Casey, Garcia, Harrington, Jimenez, and Westwood combined for 4 points in 18 matches. Yikes.

So right there, 5 key Euros playing like crap, combined with Americans playing spectacular golf results in a US victory.

I don't want to take away from what the Americans did, by any means. Mickelson, Cink, Curtis, and Stricker all had flashes of great play, but on a whole these 4 did not play well. The other 8 guys, however, played lights out. I certainly underestimated Perry, Leonard, Weekley, Mahan, Holmes and Campbell. If anyone would have told me at the beginning of the week that Leonard, Weekley, Mahan and Holmes would combine for 11 points, I would have laughed in their face.

IMO, those 4 are the reason the Ryder Cup stays on this side of the pond, and rightly so. They played some of their best golf at the most opportune time(s), represented themselves and their country with pride.

All being said, kudos to the Americans. They showed that Tiger wasn't necessary to beat a heavily favored Euro team.

Great weekend for American golf. Let's hope the momentum carries to The Belfry in 2010!

RANDY IN INDY
09-22-2008, 01:47 PM
From Ryder cup to Ryder cup, you will have players that play lights out and players who play "like crap." The "team" that plays the best will win, and the Americans certainly did that this time. Excuses won't cut it.

Highlifeman21
09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
From Ryder cup to Ryder cup, you will have players that play lights out and players who play "like crap." The "team" that plays the best will win, and the Americans certainly did that this time. Excuses won't cut it.

It's refreshing to finally see the Americans play as a team.

They had some superb individual effort(s), which translated into a great team victory.

I don't think enough can be, or has been, said about the lineup Paul Azinger trotted out there for Sunday's singles. Kim set the tone, and IMO the Americans never looked back.

Michael Young
09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
let azinger retain the captaincy. the dude knows what he is doing

Highlifeman21
09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
let azinger retain the captaincy. the dude knows what he is doing

I'd like to see Faldo and Azinger go at it again in 2010.

Faldo's catching heat in the non-US media, but it's not his fault Garcia, Westwood, Jimenez and Harrington forgot how to play golf this past weekend. IMO, Faldo's not getting enough credit for selecting Ian Poulter.

Michael Young
09-22-2008, 03:42 PM
i don't see any way faldo survives the fallout of this loss, deserved or not

MWM
09-24-2008, 12:57 PM
I really enjoyed this. I wish I was at the Pub with this guy seeing his meltdown as Europe was losing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/columns/story?id=3603340&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos2

bucksfan2
09-24-2008, 01:10 PM
i don't see any way faldo survives the fallout of this loss, deserved or not

Faldo won't survive. They change captains every Ryder Cup.

MWM
09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
I read an article somewhere today about how sad it will be for Faldo's legacy to be for this Ryder Cup given that he's the most accomplished Brit golfer in their history (unless you consider Harry Vardon). He was never really beloved there to begin with, and now it's going to be worse. I don't think he cares all that much as he's lived in Orlando for years anyway, as do a lot of the Euro golfers.