PDA

View Full Version : Run-D.M.C., Metallica nominated for "Rock" Hall of Fame

freestyle55
09-22-2008, 01:51 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26838012/

Apparently, having a few songs that had some guitar in them now qualifies you to get in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Also nominated were guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic

Yet Bon Jovi and Stevie Ray Vaughn don't get nominated...

jmble
09-22-2008, 02:17 PM
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is about more than just who writes the best music. It's not like sports where you can quantify whether they deserve to be a Hall of Famer by strictly looking at stats.

Both Run-DMC and Metallica are a couple of the biggest names in the history of their genres. Run-DMC were practically pioneers for making rap music what it was at the time.

I don't like Metallica, but there is no denying their presence and their influence on the music industry.

Both of these groups should and will be honored in the Hall of Fame.

I think Bon Jovi will be there as well.

For the record, you forgot to mention the Stooges. Definately one of the best punk bands of all time.

Highlifeman21
09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26838012/

Apparently, having a few songs that had some guitar in them now qualifies you to get in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Also nominated were guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic

Yet Bon Jovi and Stevie Ray Vaughn don't get nominated...

Has it been 25 years since each of their 1st albums?

I thought that was some sorta criteria.

jmble
09-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Run DMC's first album came out in 1984, so they are hitting it exactly at 25 years.

Metallica's first album came out in 1983.

Interestingly enough, Bon Jovi's first album also came out in 1984, but I'm guessing they are spacing them out. They seem to only do a couple of feature acts each year, and then a bunch of smaller artists. I would be shocked if Bon Jovi isn't nominated next year.

freestyle55
09-22-2008, 03:26 PM
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is about more than just who writes the best music. It's not like sports where you can quantify whether they deserve to be a Hall of Famer by strictly looking at stats.

Both Run-DMC and Metallica are a couple of the biggest names in the history of their genres. Run-DMC were practically pioneers for making rap music what it was at the time.

I don't like Metallica, but there is no denying their presence and their influence on the music industry.

Both of these groups should and will be honored in the Hall of Fame.

Didn't mean to make it seem like I thought Metallica didn't belong, just Run DMC....they're not rock and roll, they're rap.

Metallica definitely deserves to be there, they were one of the pioneers of the tv/video/internet (at least suing the internet :) ) age!

Highlifeman21
09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Run DMC's first album came out in 1984, so they are hitting it exactly at 25 years.

Metallica's first album came out in 1983.

Interestingly enough, Bon Jovi's first album also came out in 1984, but I'm guessing they are spacing them out. They seem to only do a couple of feature acts each year, and then a bunch of smaller artists. I would be shocked if Bon Jovi isn't nominated next year.

That makes the most sense.

They don't want to load up HOF classes in 1 year, and then have a marginal class the next year.

Johnny Footstool
09-22-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm the king of rock, there is none higher
Sucker MC's should call me sire
To burn my kingdom, you must use fire
I won't stop rockin' till I retire

jmble
09-22-2008, 05:07 PM
While I agree with you Freestyle that Run DMC does not fall into the category of Rock and Roll, if you look at the inductees currently in the Hall that you could argue shouldn't be considered as Rock and Roll. Grandmaster Flash, Issac Hayes, Earth Wind and Fire, just to name a few that jumped out at me. James Taylor? I really think that the museum has turned into just a celebration of the biggest names in popular music, more than just Rock and Roll. Anything that falls into the Rock/Rap/R&B genre appears to be included. And by the standards they have previously used, I do believe Run DMC belongs in the Hall of Fame. And I believe we will see others follow as the years pass, such as Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, BIG, and others....

At least they aren't diving into country yet. :)

Bip Roberts
09-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Metallica should be in the hall of lame

redsfanmia
09-22-2008, 06:26 PM
If the Rock and Roll HOF does not include other genre's of music then in 20+ years there will no one worthy of induction. Even though Neal Young sang otherwise rock and roll has pretty much died.

Redhook
09-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Metallica should be in the hall of lame

I could care less if you like or dislike Metallica, or even think they are lame. There really wasn't any need to make your immature post.

Bip Roberts
09-22-2008, 07:13 PM
I could care less if you like or dislike Metallica, or even think they are lame. There really wasn't any need to make your immature post.

:rolleyes:

Degenerate39
09-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Shouldn't they just call it the Music Hall of Fame? I don't understand how most of the bands in there can be considered rock n roll

MrCinatit
09-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Of course Run DMC, Metallica and the Stooges should be in. The Stooges are the only ones I have listened to extensively - but I have so much respect for the other two.
Meanwhile, no love for the godfathers of independence rock, Sonic Youth? Humbug!

Yachtzee
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Of course Run DMC, Metallica and the Stooges should be in. The Stooges are the only ones I have listened to extensively - but I have so much respect for the other two.
Meanwhile, no love for the godfathers of independence rock, Sonic Youth? Humbug!

Independence Rock? Is that anything like Freedom Rock? :p:

Run DMC has had quite a bit of influence on modern rock music, as have Metallica and especially the Stooges. Sonic Youth is certainly worthy as one of the major drivers of alternative-independent rock and I would put Devo in there as well.

Matt700wlw
09-23-2008, 12:05 AM
It's hard to believe that Metallica has been around that long. Wow. They're new stuff (at least what I've heard) seems to have something back that was missing in more recent material

MrCinatit
09-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Independence Rock? Is that anything like Freedom Rock? :p:

Run DMC has had quite a bit of influence on modern rock music, as have Metallica and especially the Stooges. Sonic Youth is certainly worthy as one of the major drivers of alternative-independent rock and I would put Devo in there as well.

Wow...did I really write that? What in the world was I on! :p:

I actually meant alternative. And I agree with Devo.

Degenerate39
09-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Has Gun N Roses made it to the hall of fame yet?

jmble
09-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Guns N Roses doesn't meet the criteria yet. Appetite came out in 87, so it's just hitting 22 years old.

We should all make Axl a deal, he GnR can be inducted in the Hall of Fame, when Chinese Democracy is released. That should be any day now.

Yachtzee
09-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Guns N Roses doesn't meet the criteria yet. Appetite came out in 87, so it's just hitting 22 years old.

We should all make Axl a deal, he GnR can be inducted in the Hall of Fame, when Chinese Democracy is released. That should be any day now.

Doesn't that come with a free Dr. Pepper?

guttle11
09-23-2008, 09:56 PM
They really should drop the "Rock and Roll" on the name. Who cares about genre title? Great music is great music. Influence is influence.

Run DMC is legendary. Glad to see them going in.

If you're doing word association with the word "metal"...Metallica probably comes after steel, and before everything else.

WVRed
09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
I just bought Metallica's new CD today. I've not been impressed so far.

Metallica is one of the greatest bands of all time, no doubt in really anybodys mind. However, I really feel their music is slipping, and I have always been a fan of their older music.

St Anger and Death Magnetic however have really set the bar pretty low, IMO.

GAC
09-23-2008, 10:03 PM
The Rock N Roll HOF is sooo establishment. It's the anti-thesis of everything that rock n roll stood for (or at least use to).

Why no Alice Cooper?

Very little recognition for the impact of progressive rock bands like Procol Harem, Yes, ELO.

This is the seventh time the Stooges have been nominated. Give Iggy Stooge/Pop his due already and induct him for his punk trailblazing—or quit using up a ballot spot on the Stooges before they turn into the Roll Hall’s version of Susan Lucci.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_popmachine/2008/09/weve-give-you-m.html

RedFanAlways1966
09-24-2008, 12:22 AM
I just bought Metallica's new CD today. I've not been impressed so far.

Metallica is one of the greatest bands of all time, no doubt in really anybodys mind. However, I really feel their music is slipping, and I have always been a fan of their older music.

St Anger and Death Magnetic however have really set the bar pretty low, IMO.

Not to argue (music is an opinionated thing)... I bought it today as well. Only had a chance to hear the first 4 songs. Songs 1 & 2 kicked my butt. Ripping stuff. I am impressed so far. The guitar riffage is very much like the old Metallica IMO. Lots of lead riffs too (unlike their last 3 CDs).

Caseyfan21
09-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Shouldn't they just call it the Music Hall of Fame? I don't understand how most of the bands in there can be considered rock n roll

That's really what gets me. They should just open a "Music Hall of Fame." If you really want to get technical about what "rock n roll" really is then most of the bands in there would not qualify. What "rock" or "rock n roll" really is compared to what we call it in popular culture is a sharp contrast. I took a History of Rock N Roll class last spring in college and it was really fascinating to see what we covered. We did talk about Run DMC (I think they were actually on the cover of one of our books) and we also talked about many of the other bands discussed in this thread. Rock is at the point right now where it is so huge and so diverse it really doesn't exist. The amount of cross genre groups now days is ridiculous, whether popular or indie. Just think about some groups from current music....where will a band like The Roots be categorized in 20 years? They almost need to break down Rock even further in description and start using terms like "Rap Rock" or "Country Rock" even more than they are used today.

If the HOF doesn't want to change to a more broad Music HOF name I think they should base criteria on both style of music and influence on the rock genre of music. That would at least give a little more clarity as to why they pick certain groups.

MrCinatit
09-24-2008, 08:20 AM
For me, that is one of the beauties of rock and roll. Perhaps I am in the minority.
I love the diversity. I love to be able to listen to Run-DMC, Charlie Daniels, Johnny Cash, ELO, The Faces, Sonic Youth, The Stooges, The Beatles, Talking Heads, Cream, the Sex Pistols, Chuck Berry, Hendrix, Spiritualized, Air, WolfMother, Led Zeppelin, the Who, the Stones (the list goes on) - yet consider them as equals as bloody good rock and roll.
Perhaps that is just me.

Redhook
09-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Not to argue (music is an opinionated thing)... I bought it today as well. Only had a chance to hear the first 4 songs. Songs 1 & 2 kicked my butt. Ripping stuff. I am impressed so far. The guitar riffage is very much like the old Metallica IMO. Lots of lead riffs too (unlike their last 3 CDs).

I like it too. I haven't listened to the entire cd yet. But, I really like the 9th song, not sure what the name is. The last 6 minutes or so is all instrumental. Very cool.

OldRightHander
09-24-2008, 04:58 PM

I'm with you there. They should rename it the pop music hall of fame and then have different wings for different genres. While we're at it, why don't we induct soccer players into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton? It's all football isn't it?

BoydsOfSummer
09-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Yet no RUSH or KISS...:rolleyes:

savafan
09-24-2008, 10:37 PM

G N' R doesn't get in unless the original line-up (at least UYI 1 & 2 era Sorum over Adler) play at the induction concert.

redsfanmia
09-25-2008, 07:58 AM
G N' R doesn't get in unless the original line-up (at least UYI 1 & 2 era Sorum over Adler) play at the induction concert.

How about Izzy? That band went into the tank when Izzy left.

savafan
09-26-2008, 08:01 PM
How about Izzy? That band went into the tank when Izzy left.

Izzy has to be there!

OldRightHander
09-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Izzy has to be there!

To do what, sell reubens...wait...never mind.

Highlifeman21
09-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Yet no RUSH or KISS...:rolleyes:

Rush will make the HOF.

minus5
10-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Is Alice Cooper in there?????????????