View Full Version : Confirmed Reds playing in the AFL/Hawaii/Winter Ball

Pages : [1] 2

OnBaseMachine
09-22-2008, 10:46 PM
The Hawaii rosters are complete:

Yonder Alonso
Todd Frazier
Philippe Valiquette

Eric Eymann was rumored to be going but he's not on the roster.

Arizona Fall League:

Carlos Fisher
Robert Manuel
Pedro Viola
Sean Watson
Sean Henry
Justin Turner
Chris Valaika
Drew Stubbs

I've already read that Matt Maloney plans to pitch winter ball in the Dominican Republic and Adam Rosales has said he plans to play winter ball in Puerto Rico I believe. If I'm missing anyone then please name them.

OnBaseMachine
09-22-2008, 10:52 PM
By the way, the AFL season begins on October 7th and ends November 20th. The Hawaii League begins on September 27th and ends on November 15th.

Mario-Rijo
09-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Glad to see Watson and Henry on the AFL roster they are slightly undervalued I think and this will give them a chance to shine and improve.

dougdirt
09-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Eymann was removed from the roster about two weeks ago by the Reds. Not sure why yet, but I should probably find out soon enough. I have someone looking into it. He was on the original roster.

LouisvilleCARDS
09-23-2008, 03:27 AM
It's crazy how much baseball these guys play that isn't recognized, like these offseason leagues. I don't see how some pitchers do it. :eek:

mth123
09-23-2008, 06:36 AM
Alonso said he was going to the instructional league for a while. Since the Hawaiin League starts this weekend, does that mean he won't be there at the beginning?

redsmetz
09-23-2008, 06:38 AM
As I recall, one of the obscure TV stations here in Cincinnati would show the Hawaiian games - maybe Channel 25 or 38? That would be nice this year.

jmcclain19
09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I'll be at the AFL games when Stubbs playing holding a sign saying "I wish the Reds picked Lincecum"

I kid...I kid...

Will be nice to see Vailaka in person though.

The Reds got paired up with the Brewers, Yanks and Rays in the AFL but its disappointing to not see really any of those teams big guns playing this year.

RedsUp
09-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Actually the players going to Hawai had to report to Sarasota on SEPTEMBER THE 15th,
dor some kind of evaluation/tune-up. They left this morning and they will be in Hawai tonight.

princeton
09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Arizona Fall League:

Carlos Fisher
Robert Manuel
Pedro Viola
Sean Watson
Sean Henry
Justin Turner
Chris Valaika
Drew Stubbs

I've already read that Matt Maloney plans to pitch winter ball in the Dominican Republic and Adam Rosales has said he plans to play winter ball in Puerto Rico I believe. If I'm missing anyone then please name them.

Reds didn't have a lot of disappointing farm players this year, but most of them are on that list-- eg Viola, Watson. Maloney, Fisher and Rosales were perhaps mild disappointments as well.

Wood and Bailey are pretty much the only others. Bailey'll be somewhere, I figure-- either Puerto Rico or Mars.

dougdirt
09-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Carlos Fisher was disappointing?

Basic Statistics
Year Age Team G W L IP TBF H 2B 3B HR R ER BB K ERA RA9
2008 25 AA Chattanooga 36 1 5 50.2 225 52 7 2 3 27 23 20 46 4.09 4.80
2008 25 AAA Louisville 14 5 0 17.1 77 14 3 0 0 2 2 9 21 1.04 1.04

Extended Statistics
Year Age Team BB/PA K/PA BABIP GB% HR/Air FIP BsRA9
2008 25 AA Chattanooga 8.9% 20.4% .333 59% 5% 3.48 4.32
2008 25 AAA Louisville 11.7% 27.3% .326 63% 0% 2.65 2.82

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2008, 11:46 AM
It looks like Ramon Ramirez will be playing winter ball in Venezuela:

Ramirez plans to sharpen his skills during winter ball in Venezuela.

"I know I need to come ready next year to win a spot in the rotation or bullpen," Ramirez said. "I have to show in Spring Training that I can do my job first to win that spot."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080924&content_id=3542800&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

OnBaseMachine
09-28-2008, 03:06 AM
Chris Heisey is playing winter ball in Puerto Rico according to a poster over on Doug's site.

icehole3
09-28-2008, 10:17 AM

"I know I need to come ready next year to win a spot in the rotation or bullpen," Ramirez said. "I have to show in Spring Training that I can do my job first to win that spot."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080924&content_id=3542800&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

I love seeing that, wish the other Soto disciplines join him.

batsfan
09-28-2008, 02:23 PM

This article (http://www.magallanesypunto.com/wordpress/?p=539)seems to say (Using google translations) that MLB is not going to let Ramirez pitch due in the first half to "Extreme Fatigue".

lollipopcurve
09-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Chris Heisey is playing winter ball in Puerto Rico according to a poster over on Doug's site.

Good to hear. This guy's closer to the majors than people realize, I think.

oneupper
09-28-2008, 02:40 PM
This article (http://www.magallanesypunto.com/wordpress/?p=539)seems to say (Using google translations) that MLB is not going to let Ramirez pitch due in the first half to "Extreme Fatigue".

Nice Catch. Actually, its the Reds and not MLB who aren't allowing Ramirez to pitch with Magallanes of the Venezuelan league.

They cite an agreement between MLB and the winter leagues concerning this type of case. I'm really unaware of the details of that agreement. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

oneupper
09-28-2008, 02:44 PM

I thought this was an error, since the Puerto Rican league pretty much went out of business last year (there was no 2007-08 season).

Apparently there is a new league with interleague play with the Dominican League. This season will be a short one, starting in early november.

I wonder how the Valentin brothers made out..their old team (Manati) does not seem to be in the new league.

OnBaseMachine
09-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I thought this was an error, since the Puerto Rican league pretty much went out of business last year (there was no 2007-08 season).

Apparently there is a new league with interleague play with the Dominican League. This season will be a short one, starting in early november.

I wonder how the Valentin brothers made out..their old team (Manati) does not seem to be in the new league.

According to milb.com, the Puerto Rican League begins on November 6th and the postseason starts on January 7th.

mace
10-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Any word on where Neftali Soto might be playing in the offseason?

dougdirt
10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Any word on where Neftali Soto might be playing in the offseason?

He is in Instructional League right now. I haven't seen anything suggesting that he would be playing anywhere else.

mace
10-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Doug. Your knowledge and responsiveness are much appreciated.

Was wondering what people thought the natural progression might be for a young hotshot like Duran or YRodriguez. I'd think the earliest you could target somebody for the big leagues would be 21 or so. That would suggest you'd pace them for AAA at 20/21, AA at 19/20, High A at 18/19, Low A at 18. Of course, everybody's different in their maturity levels, etc., but in grossly general terms do you think maybe Rookie League at 17? Is it possible that those two could pop up at Billings sometime next year?

dougdirt
10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks, Doug. Your knowledge and responsiveness is much appreciated.

Was wondering what people thought the natural progression might be for a young hotshot like Duran or YRodriguez. I'd think the earliest you could target somebody for the big leagues would be 21 or so. That would suggest you'd pace them for AAA at 20/21, AA at 19/20, High A at 18/19, Low A at 18. Of course, everybody's different in their maturity levels, etc., but in grossly general terms do you think maybe Rookie League at 17? Is it possible that those two could pop up at Billings sometime next year?

I expect both Rodriguez and Duran playing for the GCL Reds next year at age 17. Both are currently in the states playing in instructional league right now. Duran's body has a lot of room for growth. Saw a picture of him yesterday playing down there, he will certainly grow into his body over the next few years.

medford
10-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Doug, what's the word on their progress in instructional league? Ahead of where they thought they'd be, behind, even?

Must be strange playing games that never count in a standing, never get noticed by a news organization, and very few people care about.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 12:25 PM
I hope the Reds are patient with kids like Duran and Yorman. The Mets always seem to rush their kids (Carlos Gomez, Fernando Martinez) instead of letting them develop on their own timetable. I would start Duran and Yorman in the GCL next year and probably let them play their the whole year. There's no need to rush them.

dougdirt
10-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Doug, what's the word on their progress in instructional league? Ahead of where they thought they'd be, behind, even?

Must be strange playing games that never count in a standing, never get noticed by a news organization, and very few people care about.

That one I don't know. I have been gone all weekend and I am sick as can be today. I got an email this weekend with some pictures from a game last week so I haven't had any time to talk with the guy who sent them about anything yet.

HalMorrisRules
10-14-2008, 12:10 PM
This article gives a nice overview of the Hawaiian League including some notes on Todd Frazier.

Hawaiian League (http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?id=3636748)

Here is a link to the stats for the Hawaiian League:

Waikiki Beach Boys Stats (http://www.hawaiiwinterbaseball.com/statistics/individual?team=wai)

If you then go to the League Leaders page, Alonso and Frazier are all over the offensive leaders stats.

Mario-Rijo
10-14-2008, 12:25 PM
This article gives a nice overview of the Hawaiian League including some notes on Todd Frazier.

Hawaiian League (http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?id=3636748)

Here is a link to the stats for the Hawaiian League:

Waikiki Beach Boys Stats (http://www.hawaiiwinterbaseball.com/statistics/individual?team=wai)

If you then go to the League Leaders page, Alonso and Frazier are all over the offensive leaders stats.

Thanks Hal very handy.

OnBaseMachine
10-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Here are some others:

Dominican Winter League:

Ramon Geronimo - Aguilas Cibaenas
Denis Phipps - Estrellas de Oriente
Juan Francisco - Gigantes del Cibao

Venezuelan Winter League:

Luis Bolivar - Aguilas del Zulia
Justin Mallett - Bravos de Margarita
Yuber Rodriguez - Cardenales de Lara
Alex Gonzalez - Leones del Caracas
Jon Adkins - Navegantes del Magallanes
Ramon Ramirez - Navegantes del Magallanes
Tonys Gutierrez - Tigres de Aragua

Mexican Winter League:

Daniel Guerrero - Algodoneros de Guasave

The Puerto Rican League doesn't begin until early November so their rosters have yet to be released. The other Caribbean Leagues began today or yesterday.

OnBaseMachine
10-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Juan Francisco went 1-for-5 in his first game last night. It's nice to see him getting a starting gig. Hopefully he can get plenty of atbats against some pretty solid competition.

OnBaseMachine
10-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Juan Francisco went 2-for-4 with a 2-run homer (#1) in his second game.

Screwball
10-19-2008, 05:16 AM
Juan Francisco went 2-for-4 with a 2-run homer (#1) in his second game.

He'll probly end up with more Home Runs than walks. ;)

Orenda
10-19-2008, 08:51 AM
what are the odds on Fransisco getting down a successful sacrifice bunt?

JaxRed
10-19-2008, 10:06 AM
I expect both Rodriguez and Duran playing for the GCL Reds next year at age 17. Both are currently in the states playing in instructional league right now. .

Doug, I think if they play DSL or VSL ball, their 3 year (I guess 4 years in their case) clock before being Rule 5 eligible doesn't start. But it does start if they play GCL.

If I'm correct, I could easily see these guys playing another year out of country.

OnBaseMachine
10-19-2008, 01:06 PM
10/18:

Juan Francisco went 1-for-4 with a double and HBP. He's hitting .308/.357/.615 - .972 OPS through three games (13 atbats).

OnBaseMachine
10-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Matt Maloney is playing for Navegantes del Magallanes in the Venezuelan Winter League. His stats so far: 4 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Juan Francisco went 2-for-6 with a double yesterday.

Scrap Irony
10-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Francisco continues to impress. AA may give Francisco a real boost not only in power numbers (likely), but also in walks and BA. AA pitchers tend to be closer to the plate and Francisco swings at almost anything, so he may be of that rare breed to see his BA rise as pitchers improve. As pitchers see that, they may, in turn, pitch around him.

It's possible.

Orenda
10-21-2008, 02:08 PM
is it even possible to pitch around a guy who "swings at almost anything"

Scrap Irony
10-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Vlad says you can.

bubbachunk
10-21-2008, 02:24 PM
is it even possible to pitch around a guy who "swings at almost anything"

Not if you are Vlad out in LA. (I am not comparing them just giving an example)

OesterPoster
10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Wow, jinx. How'd you two ^^^ manage to do that at the same time? :)

Scrap Irony
10-22-2008, 02:16 PM
We don't mess around

dougdirt
10-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Todd Frazier just doubled in a run. Skills.

RedsManRick
10-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Vlad says you can.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Vladimir-Guerrero.shtml

Vlad never hit under .300 for a season until age 32. He hit .345 as a minor leaguer and was in the majors to stay at age 21.

At age 20, Vlad hit .360/.438/612 in AA.
At age 21, Fransisco hit .277/.303/.496 A+.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. That said, his performance so far has been impressive. It will be fun to see how he does next year.

bubbachunk
10-22-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Vladimir-Guerrero.shtml

Vlad never hit under .300 for a season until age 32. He hit .345 as a minor leaguer and was in the majors to stay at age 21.

At age 20, Vlad hit .360/.438/612 in AA.
At age 21, Fransisco hit .277/.303/.496 A+.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. That said, his performance so far has been impressive. It will be fun to see how he does next year.

I do not think anyone was comparing him to Vlad as far as talent but pointing out the validity of pitching around someone who swings at everything. We were just saying that it can be done not that we think he can do it

zipcurve
10-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Sam LeCure playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic.

RedsManRick
10-23-2008, 08:21 PM
I do not think anyone was comparing him to Vlad as far as talent but pointing out the validity of pitching around someone who swings at everything. We were just saying that it can be done not that we think he can do it

Fair enough, but Vlad was swing at AND making contact with everything. Fransisco has the swinging part down -- just not the contact. They aren't going to avoid your bat by pitching out of the zone if they can avoid your bat inside of it. And as he moves up, he'll be increasingly exposed to pitchers who have the stuff and control to miss bats in the zone.

OnBaseMachine
10-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Neftali Soto is playing Winter Ball in Puerto Rico...the season doesn't start until November 6th. Here's a small tidbit translated via Google:

Neftali Soto, one of the new faces of the Cangrejeros of Santurce, yesterday had his first experience in professional baseball in the initial practice of the franchise in the face of the season to start on November 6.

"I feel comfortable because I know several of the boys and I'm ready to play every day," said Soto. "There's a bit of pressure for being the first selection and rookie, but nothing, baseball is baseball anywhere," he added.

After four years without a team in San Juan, the Cangrejeros returning back to his old home with a renewed energy.

"We have the enthusiasm and spirit to play. We want to play well during the season, "said Soto.

http://www.primerahora.com/noticia/beisbol/accion_deportiva/el_rookie_esta_listo/240792

Screwball
10-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Neftali Soto is playing Winter Ball in Puerto Rico...the season doesn't start until November 6th. Here's a small tidbit translated via Google:

Neftali Soto, one of the new faces of the Cangrejeros of Santurce, yesterday had his first experience in professional baseball in the initial practice of the franchise in the face of the season to start on November 6.

"I feel comfortable because I know several of the boys and I'm ready to play every day," said Soto. "There's a bit of pressure for being the first selection and rookie, but nothing, baseball is baseball anywhere," he added.

After four years without a team in San Juan, the Cangrejeros returning back to his old home with a renewed energy.

"We have the enthusiasm and spirit to play. We want to play well during the season, "said Soto.

http://www.primerahora.com/noticia/beisbol/accion_deportiva/el_rookie_esta_listo/240792

Weak. Why doesn't he talk about companions in circulation?? Or at least a little regulation anyways...

camisadelgolf
10-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Weak. Why doesn't he talk about companions in circulation?? Or at least a little regulation anyways...

lol I hope I'm not the only one who gets your reference. :D

OnBaseMachine
10-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Juan Francisco went 2-for-4 with a home run and 3 RBI yesterday and has now homered in two straight games. Through 37 atbats he's hitting .270/.289/.568 - .857 OPS with three homers.

Mario-Rijo
10-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Juan Francisco went 2-for-4 with a home run and 3 RBI yesterday and has now homered in two straight games. Through 37 atbats he's hitting .270/.289/.568 - .857 OPS with three homers.

That's just crazy looking.

Bip Roberts
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Imagine the back and forth bickering on this board if Fransisco was doing that at the major league level. I would enjoy that thread like no other thread.

TOBTTReds
10-27-2008, 01:07 PM

Ha, I remember Encarnacion was sending many companions in circulation last winter.

TOBTTReds
10-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Imagine the back and forth bickering on this board if Fransisco was doing that at the major league level. I would enjoy that thread like no other thread.

I bet there would be more bickering of it because of where he would bat in the lineup (3rd) if he were hitting like that. I'll take those numbers in my lineup batting 6th or 7th, just not near the top, which I know he probably would be.

Bip Roberts
10-27-2008, 01:17 PM
I bet there would be more bickering of it because of where he would bat in the lineup (3rd) if he were hitting like that. I'll take those numbers in my lineup batting 6th or 7th, just not near the top, which I know he probably would be.

My point exactly. Would be an epic thread.

Mario-Rijo
10-27-2008, 02:58 PM
My point exactly. Would be an epic thread.

I don't want to start that thread here but I gotta say it's just shows how even OPS can be a bit misleading. If you just saw his OPS you might assume that he is getting on base at least at a fair clip. However I understand that if he slugged like that for an extended period of time inevitably his OBP would creep up to respectability, at least I assume it would. But it shows how the occassional HR and not much of anything else can balloon that OPS.

camisadelgolf
10-27-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't want to start that thread here but I gotta say it's just shows how even OPS can be a bit misleading. If you just saw his OPS you might assume that he is getting on base at least at a fair clip. However I understand that if he slugged like that for an extended period of time inevitably his OBP would creep up to respectability, at least I assume it would. But it shows how the occassional HR and not much of anything else can balloon that OPS.

Without researching it, I'd guess that an OPS driven by a high SLG is more valuable than one driven by a high OBP.

Bip Roberts
10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Imagine if Fransisco was some speed demon.

dougdirt
10-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Without researching it, I'd guess that an OPS driven by a high SLG is more valuable than one driven by a high OBP.

That is incorrect. OBP is worth about 1.8 times as much as SLG in terms of runs scoring in an OPS type formula. Avoiding outs is the most important part of it all.

JayBruceFan
10-27-2008, 03:46 PM
If he can hit 40 Homeruns and pick it at third in the big leagues, I dont care if his OBP is .100

BRM
10-27-2008, 03:49 PM
If he can hit 40 Homeruns and pick it at third in the big leagues, I dont care if his OBP is .100

An OBP of .100 would be a serious drag on any offense. Although I'm sure you were just being funny anyway.

Spring~Fields
10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
An OBP of .100 would be a serious drag on any offense. Although I'm sure you were just being funny anyway.

Maybe that is Dusty incognito ? ? ? ;)

camisadelgolf
10-27-2008, 05:25 PM
That is incorrect. OBP is worth about 1.8 times as much as SLG in terms of runs scoring in an OPS type formula. Avoiding outs is the most important part of it all.

In other words, between these two lines, the latter is worth 1.8 times as much as the former?

A player who goes 30-105 with zero walks has a line of .295/.295/.300.
A player who goes 25-95 with 10 walks has a line of .263/.333/.263.

OnBaseMachine
10-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Sam Lecure started last night for Gigantes of the Dominican Winter League (same team Francisco is on). His line: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 3 K

Wilkin Castillo went 1-for-3.

dougdirt
10-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Juan Francisco with a HUGE night last night:

3 for 5, 2 HR, 2BB and 0K.... oh and 6 RBI.

BRM
10-30-2008, 12:24 PM
2 homers AND 2 walks? Nice.

OnBaseMachine
10-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Juan Francisco with a HUGE night last night:

3 for 5, 2 HR, 2BB and 0K.... oh and 6 RBI.

Wow. The two walks excite as much as the homers. Talk about being on fire, he's got five straight multi-hit games with four homers in that stretch. Oh, and he's walked four times in his last two games.

Overall, Francisco is hitting .333/.393/.667 - 1.060 OPS in 51 atbats.

BRM
10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Watch out....he's turning into one of those dreaded 3 true outcome hitters. ;)

klw
10-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Whenever I read this thread title I can't help but think the thread is about which Reds prospects playing winter ball are catholics.

kpresidente
10-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Are you saying a .350 OBP is worth a .630 SLG? That seems like a stretch.

Betterread
10-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Whenever I read this thread title I can't help but think the thread is about which Reds prospects playing winter ball are catholics.

I agree. The "confirmed" adjective seems to encourage future confirmands that they will play winter ball in sunny climates upon being confirmed.

OnBaseMachine
10-31-2008, 01:39 AM
Matt Maloney pitched a good game yesterday in the Venezuelan League:

5 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 6 K

dougdirt
10-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Juan Francisco with another walk last night in a 2-4 night. He is now hitting .345/.410/.655 through 55 at bats with 5 HR, 5 BB and 13K.

Mario-Rijo
10-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Juan Francisco with another walk last night in a 2-4 night. He is now hitting .345/.410/.655 through 55 at bats with 5 HR, 5 BB and 13K.

Are any/all of these IBB's? If not that's a fairly encouraging sign to have 5 in the past 3 games. Even for a naysayer like me.

dougdirt
10-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Are any/all of these IBB's? If not that's a fairly encouraging sign to have 5 in the past 3 games. Even for a naysayer like me.

2 were intentional. 3 were not. That said, maybe his power is starting to make pitchers very wary and they are truly pitching around him and he is actually disciplined enough to lay off when its a pitch he truly can't hit.

zipcurve
11-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Francisco and Lecure on gameday today.

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Matt Maloney last night: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 6 K

Overall in VWL:

16 IP, 15 H, 1 HR, 5 BB/13 K, 2.81 ERA

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2008, 06:16 PM
The Puerto Rican League rosters are out now. Soto's team plays tonight.

Reds playing in the Puerto Rican League:

Neftali Soto
Michael DeJesus
Joe Valentine
Alexis Oliveras
Adam Rosales
Chris Heisey

dougdirt
11-06-2008, 06:20 PM
The Puerto Rican League rosters are out now. Soto's team plays tonight.

Reds playing in the Puerto Rican League:

Neftali Soto
Michael DeJesus
Joe Valentine
Alexis Oliveras
Adam Rosales
Chris Heisey

On top of it today aren't you? Some guys certainly worth following in the league.

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2008, 06:57 PM
On top of it today aren't you? Some guys certainly worth following in the league.

I've been waiting for a couple weeks for these rosters to be revealed. It looks like the Puerto Rican league is loaded. Some other players include: Carlos Beltran, Geovany Soto, Yadier Molina, Mike Aviles, Sandy Alomar, Pudge Rodriguez, Alex Rios, Mike Stanton (stud from Marlins organization), J.C. Romero, Jonathan Sanchez, Ivan De Jesus, Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams, Ian Kennedy, Joel Pineiro, Jose Vidro.

JayBruceFan
11-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Bernie Williams?

Is he playing or coaching?

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Bernie Williams?

Is he playing or coaching?

Playing. He's supposed to play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic too.

dougdirt
11-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Just talked with Pedro Viola and learned something new. I asked him about the Dominican Winter League since this would be his first year playing there (he will be with the Gigantes after the AFL, he doesn't know his role yet as far as RP or SP) and he said that this was his first year of being eligible to play because in order to be drafted to a team you must spend 2 years playing in the US first. Didn't know that.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Just talked with Pedro Viola and learned something new. I asked him about the Dominican Winter League since this would be his first year playing there (he will be with the Gigantes after the AFL, he doesn't know his role yet as far as RP or SP) and he said that this was his first year of being eligible to play because in order to be drafted to a team you must spend 2 years playing in the US first. Didn't know that.

Very interesting. I didn't know that either.

camisadelgolf
11-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Joe Valentine is officially no longer part of the Reds, oder?

mth123
11-09-2008, 06:46 PM
So far today in Puerto Rico.

Soto 0 for 4 with 2K
Javy V 2 for 3 with a BB and a HR

In another game just underway Chris Heisey with a 2 Run HR in the first inning.

zipcurve
11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Sam LeCure went 5 innings with 1 run 5 hits 0 BB and 4 k in the Dominican League last night.

dougdirt
11-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Chris Heisey is off to a hot start in Puerto Rico.

So far tonight he is 2-4 with a HR (2). He is hitting .412 right now and is in his 4th game.

JayBruceFan
11-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Thats why he keeps getting my vote in the Prospect Voting

:)

OnBaseMachine
11-12-2008, 11:40 PM
11/12:

Heisey: 2-for-5 double, SB
Rosales: 2-for-5

HokieRed
11-12-2008, 11:45 PM
On Viola, I'd hope that kid would get a rest soon.

OnBaseMachine
11-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Matt Maloney had another good start Tuesday night: 7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 3 K. His overall line in Venezuela: 23 IP, 17 H, 1 HR, 7 BB/16 K, 2.35 ERA

dougdirt
11-13-2008, 10:21 PM
On Viola, I'd hope that kid would get a rest soon.

He is pitching in the DR once the AFL is over, so I doubt he gets too much of a rest.

Scrap Irony
11-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Whither Francisco? I haven't heard his name in a week or two.

dougdirt
11-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Whither Francisco? I haven't heard his name in a week or two.

He played last night, but prior to that had played very sparingly.

2008 Winter League
Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
GIG DWL .313 18 80 18 25 2 0 6 18 45 6 18 0 1 .375 .563 .938

dougdirt
11-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Chris Heisey went 0-2 with 2 walks tonight. He is hitting .375/.464/.667 with 2 HR, 4 walks and 1 strikeout in 28 plate appearances in the Puerto Rican League.

OnBaseMachine
11-15-2008, 01:26 AM
For those who have see Heisey play, does he project as a plus defender in center field or just average?

dougdirt
11-15-2008, 01:31 AM
For those who have see Heisey play, does he project as a plus defender in center field or just average?

I would say average to above average, but not plus.

lollipopcurve
11-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Chris Heisey went 0-2 with 2 walks tonight. He is hitting .375/.464/.667 with 2 HR, 4 walks and 1 strikeout in 28 plate appearances in the Puerto Rican League.

Heisey's a top 10 guy in the system, in my book, and I like him at least as much as Stubbs. I think he may be the team's leadoff hitter of the future.

icehole3
11-15-2008, 07:59 AM
I would say average to above average, but not plus.

I can agree with that, would you put him on par with Dickerson?

mth123
11-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Heisey's a top 10 guy in the system, in my book, and I like him at least as much as Stubbs. I think he may be the team's leadoff hitter of the future.

Agreed. I like Dickerson and Heisey in a platoon in CF starting in 2010 with Heisey possibly winning the job outright at some point and Dickerson settling in as a very good 4th OF. Having those guys makes a touted number 1 pick like Stubbs a very nice thing to dangle in trade. Too bad Stubbs really had a poor showing in the AFL. A good showing would have pushed his value in a market starving for CF.

HokieRed
11-15-2008, 10:46 AM
I like Dickerson and Heisey, but I still think Stubbs is a significantly better prospect and I don't take the AFL stats to mean a whole lot of anything. His season was solid; he needs a full year with some mix of AA and AAA (or all AAA, preferably, if his spring performance points to that). We'll know a lot more about him by this time next year.

dougdirt
11-15-2008, 02:40 PM
I can agree with that, would you put him on par with Dickerson?

No. He is a little behind Dickerson.

kpresidente
11-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Agreed. I like Dickerson and Heisey in a platoon in CF starting in 2010 with Heisey possibly winning the job outright at some point and Dickerson settling in as a very good 4th OF. Having those guys makes a touted number 1 pick like Stubbs a very nice thing to dangle in trade. Too bad Stubbs really had a poor showing in the AFL. A good showing would have pushed his value in a market starving for CF.

Heisey was 23 in AA, is a C prospect, and before last season, didn't show a big split that would make you want to put him in a platoon. Even last season, he had a .425 BABiP against RH.

He's might end up being a .260/.320/.420 player, which isn't good enough for me. I like the idea, because I agree Stubbs is probably overhyped, but I wouldn't make any trade this offseason. Give it another year and see how Heisey does if he can get some time in AAA. If he responds well, then trade Stubbs.

RED VAN HOT
11-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Heisey was 23 in AA, is a C prospect, and before last season, didn't show a big split that would make you want to put him in a platoon. Even last season, he had a .425 BABiP against RH.

He's might end up being a .260/.320/.420 player, which isn't good enough for me. I like the idea, because I agree Stubbs is probably overhyped, but I wouldn't make any trade this offseason. Give it another year and see how Heisey does if he can get some time in AAA. If he responds well, then trade Stubbs.

I see Heisey as part of a LF platoon with Dorn, not because Heisey hits much better against LHP, but because Dorn hits worse against them. As a platoon, I see a LF line of .290/380/475. Further, Heisey would add value as a 4th OF who can get on base, steal a base, and replace a weaker defender, Dorn, late in games.

I am not particularly hung up on the lines of individual starters. The key for me is to build a roster that uses all 25 players effectively and provides more than one strategy for winning.

Mario-Rijo
11-15-2008, 04:17 PM

I'd agree with Doug but with the only caveat being average to slightly above average. Dickerson is definitely a better CF as is Stubbs. The question is who is better between Stubbs and Dickerson which is pretty close. I haven't seen Henry play but I have to wonder if he isn't a better CF than Heisey as well or at least can be. Too me the reports I have seen on Henry sound like he could be more athletic. But Heisey is just about as polished a player as we have in the system. I guess what i'm saying is Heisey doesn't appear to have much of a ceiling left maybe some added power down the road in his prime but not much else he can improve.

OnBaseMachine
11-15-2008, 11:21 PM
11/15:

Another good game by Heisey as he went 2-for-5 with a double and an outfield assist. Rosales was 1-for-4 with a walk.

OnBaseMachine
11-16-2008, 08:33 PM
11/16:

Heisey: 0-for-1 two walks, HBP
Rosales: 1-for-3 HBP

OnBaseMachine
11-18-2008, 10:59 PM
11/18:

Heisey: 2-for-4
Rosales: 1-for-4 double, 3 RBI

OnBaseMachine
11-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Juan Francisco went 1-for-3 with a double and a walk last night and is now hitting .305/.365/.537 - .902 OPS in 95 atbats.

Scrap Irony
11-19-2008, 06:44 PM
That gets me excited, right there.

Imagine:
Francisco and Frazier both succeed in AA, slugging 500+
Alonso proves he's the real deal and hits like he's in Hawaii all year
Soto continues to dominate in Sarasota
Dorn proves to Redszone (and the rest of baseball) that he can hit southpaws and OPSes over 900

Would that make Cincinnati the top farm in baseball?

camisadelgolf
11-19-2008, 07:31 PM
That gets me excited, right there.

Imagine:
Francisco and Frazier both succeed in AA, slugging 500+
Alonso proves he's the real deal and hits like he's in Hawaii all year
Soto continues to dominate in Sarasota
Dorn proves to Redszone (and the rest of baseball) that he can hit southpaws and OPSes over 900

Would that make Cincinnati the top farm in baseball?

I think the critics would latch on to the lack of high-ceiling pitching, but I think it would put the Reds in top-three consideration.

Benihana
11-19-2008, 10:10 PM
I see Heisey as a fourth or fifth OF at best. Similarly, I like Dorn as a LH-pinch-hitter off the bench, not neccessarily a starter. As far as Reds prospects go, I could see a future OF of

Bruce RF
Stubbs/Dickerson CF
(an absolute masher) LF

with a bench of
Dorn
Heisey

The question becomes who will emerge as that masher in LF- Votto, Encarnacion, Frazier, Soto, Francisco, or will it be someone from outside the organization?

OnBaseMachine
11-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Guys like Chris Heisey are nice to have around. They provide good depth and save the organization from having to spend money on free agents to fill the 4/5th outfielder role. Having a good bench is important. Look at the 1999 Reds, they were loaded with good backups.

Benihana
11-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Guys like Chris Heisey are nice to have around. They provide good depth and save the organization from having to spend money on free agents to fill the 4/5th outfielder role. Having a good bench is important. Look at the 1999 Reds, they were loaded with good backups.

I don't disagree. I just think that some around here probably need to temper their expectations about some of our minor league guys. For instance, I would be surprised if more than one of Dickerson, Stubbs, Heisey, and Dorn emerges as a major league starter over multiple years.

If everything breaks just right maybe Dickerson and Stubbs could be full-time starters. The rest will most likely be career backups in the bigs, if they even make it that far. We should plan accordingly.

OnBaseMachine
11-20-2008, 01:14 AM
11/19:

Heisey: 1-for-5
Rosales: 1-for-4 walk, HBP

Heisey is hitting .359/.457/.564 - 1.021 OPS in 39 atbats while Rosales is at .282/.388/.359 - .747 OPS in 39 atbats.

OnBaseMachine
11-21-2008, 12:44 AM
11/20:

Juan Francisco had a huge game as he went 4-for-5 with a double and two triples. Francisco is now hitting .330/.385/.600 with a .985 OPS through 100 atbats.

icehole3
11-21-2008, 05:19 AM
does anyone think Francisco could emerge as the 3rd baseman for 2009???

OnBaseMachine
11-21-2008, 09:43 AM

Not a chance.

camisadelgolf
11-21-2008, 11:42 AM

Although it's nowhere near likely, I think it's a lot more plausible than people think. It will be interesting to see if he ultimately moves to left field, though.

lollipopcurve
11-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Although it's nowhere near likely, I think it's a lot more plausible than people think. It will be interesting to see if he ultimately moves to left field, though.

It looks more and more as if he has the potential to be an impact bat. He's going to have to learn to work counts, but he's proving he's got high-end barrel skills and power.

RedlegJake
11-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Right now I think Francisco would get eaten alive by ML pitching so I think 2009 is rash. I agree he's looking more and more like an impact hitter but I'd put 2011 as a more reasonable (and still optimistic) arrival time.

lollipopcurve
11-21-2008, 12:23 PM
but I'd put 2011 as a more reasonable (and still optimistic) arrival time

Given his current trajectory, he could see the major leagues sometime in 2010, especially if he's a legitimate defender at 3B.

kpresidente
11-21-2008, 01:18 PM
So Francisco is great now because of 23 games this winter, but Stubbs is unaffected?

lollipopcurve
11-21-2008, 02:34 PM
So Francisco is great now because of 23 games this winter, but Stubbs is unaffected?

eh?

camisadelgolf
11-21-2008, 04:13 PM

No one has said that, but I see what you're getting at. I think your post belongs in one of the several threads that ended up in a Drew Stubbs argument, though. I think it would be best if this didn't turn into another Drew Stubbs debate.

dougdirt
11-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Francisco is showing some slight improvements in his walk rate, but lets also note that he has been intentionally walked 3 times and has 7 total walks. It is something that I feel will ultimately start happening more and more though, because the guy can just punish the baseball almost wherever its pitched.

TRF
11-21-2008, 06:24 PM
No one has said that, but I see what you're getting at. I think your post belongs in one of the several threads that ended up in a Drew Stubbs argument, though. I think it would be best if this didn't turn into another Drew Stubbs debate.

I'm the resident Stubbs basher, but I'll leave him out of my reply.

Francisco has to walk more, BUT a slick fielding IF with a cannon for an arm and real POWER can have a very good MLB career. Plus that power can lead to more BB's as pitchers start to respect it more.

And then there is his age. He's pretty young. He'' turn 22 June of next year. a 21 year old kid likely the starting 3B at AA. He's got a lot of upside. WMP like power, but maybe Scott Rolen defense.

OnBaseMachine
11-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Another good game by Francisco last night as he went 3-for-4 with two RBI. He's now at .346/.398/.606 - 1.004 OPS in 104 atbats.

kpresidente
11-22-2008, 02:12 PM

It's not like that. Really, I don't put too much stock in either. Francisco's walks 7 times in 23 games and all of the sudden he's on the 2009 roster? I don't think so. Those walks could be on the pitcher. You can't tell with that kind of sample size, and even so, it's only 7 walks.

As far as I'm concerned, he's still a guy with a .300 OBP who needs to learn how to take a pitch, and until he does, he's just a guy with some upside.

icehole3
11-22-2008, 05:51 PM
thats a .346 OBP as of today, most folks agree with you, they think he needs 2009 in the minors, so no one is really putting him in the majors like youve just said

Screwball
11-22-2008, 07:34 PM
thats a .346 OBP as of today, most folks agree with you, they think he needs 2009 in the minors, so no one is really putting him in the majors like youve just said

I think it's actually a .346 avg. and a .398 OBP.

icehole3
11-23-2008, 07:07 AM
thx screw

kpresidente
11-23-2008, 10:06 AM

Again, 23 games in a winter league. His career OBP is .303. If he doesn't learn to walk, I say his arrival time is never, and the fact is most guys never learn to walk.

dougdirt
11-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Again, 23 games in a winter league. His career OBP is .303. If he doesn't learn to walk, I say his arrival time is never, and the fact is most guys never learn to walk.

Most guys don't have the power that Francisco has either. If he keeps hitting the ball a mile, he will get more walks. The dude won't ever be a 100 walk guy, but if he keeps hitting for power, the walks will start coming more often.

fearofpopvol1
11-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Most guys don't have the power that Francisco has either. If he keeps hitting the ball a mile, he will get more walks. The dude won't ever be a 100 walk guy, but if he keeps hitting for power, the walks will start coming more often.

Wily Mo Pena says :wave:

Sure, the potential is there, but if he doesn't walk and learn better place discipline, he's poised to step in Wily Mo's footsteps (albeit probably with better defense).

Even Jeff Francoeur found out the hard way this year that if you can't walk, the league will catch up to you.

Mario-Rijo
11-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Which is heavily dependent on whether he can hit better and more diverse pitching with the same wild swings. If he does that the BB's may come or may not, look at Francouer.

Mario-Rijo
11-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Wily Mo Pena says :wave:

Sure, the potential is there, but if he doesn't walk and learn better place discipline, he's poised to step in Wily Mo's footsteps (albeit probably with better defense).

Even Jeff Francoeur found out the hard way this year that if you can't walk, the league will catch up to you.

Which is heavily dependent on whether he can hit better and more diverse pitching with the same wild swings. If he does that the BB's may come or may not, look at Francouer.

Jinx

camisadelgolf
11-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Before 2008, Pena had an OPS around .800. If Francisco OPSes about .800 and plays excellent defense, he would be excellent.

kpresidente
11-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Before 2008, Pena had an OPS around .800. If Francisco OPSes about .800 and plays excellent defense, he would be excellent.

It depends on how that OPS is generated. If it's .300/.500, that's not somebody that can play on an everyday basis. Besides, he's never OPSed .800 in his minor-league career. What makes anybody think he can do it in the majors?

dougdirt
11-23-2008, 10:07 PM
It depends on how that OPS is generated. If it's .300/.500, that's not somebody that can play on an everyday basis. Besides, he's never OPSed .800 in his minor-league career. What makes anybody think he can do it in the majors?

Sure thats a guy who could play in the majors. He just shouldn't bat higher than 7th. As for why he could do it even if he hasn't done it in the minors.... he has been relatively young for every league he has been in and a lot of guys do put up better hitting numbers in the majors than they do in the minors.

fearofpopvol1
11-23-2008, 10:12 PM

Yeah, but he's never played anywhere close to a full season. He's only played in more than 100 games once and that was 110 in 2004. I think if he would've played 145+ games in any of the seasons, that OPS falls quite a bit. I also think it's fair to say that he's not going to have a breakout season or become the player that everyone thought he could/would/should be.

PuffyPig
11-23-2008, 11:15 PM
It depends on how that OPS is generated. If it's .300/.500, that's not somebody that can play on an everyday basis.

If it's at a skill position with good defense, that player will play every game all year.

mace
11-23-2008, 11:45 PM
It depends on how that OPS is generated. If it's .300/.500, that's not somebody that can play on an everyday basis.
I'm afraid that's wildly incorrect. If a guy plays every day and almost never walks, he'll get in the neighborhood of 650 at-bats, very possibly more. A .500 slugging pct over 650 AB would give him 325 total bases. There were six players in the NL in 2008 who had 325 total bases: Albert Pujols, Ryan Braun, David Wright, Ryan Howard, Jose Reyes and Chase Utley. Every one of them either scored or drove in at least 106 runs, and on the average the number was 120. I'd take that from a third baseman with a bad glove, much less a good one.

Screwball
11-24-2008, 03:41 AM
I'm afraid that's wildly incorrect. If a guy plays every day and almost never walks, he'll get in the neighborhood of 650 at-bats, very possibly more. A .500 slugging pct over 650 AB would give him 325 total bases. There were six players in the NL in 2008 who had 325 total bases: Albert Pujols, Ryan Braun, David Wright, Ryan Howard, Jose Reyes and Chase Utley. Every one of them either scored or drove in at least 106 runs, and on the average the number was 120. I'd take that from a third baseman with a bad glove, much less a good one.

Excellent post. An .800 OPS, regardless of how it's generated, is still an .800 OPS. Combined with an exceptional arm (glove too?) at the hot corner, and you'd have to be crazy not to want him to be a part of your everyday starting 8.

Also, this never OPSing .800 business is a little misleading. He did just OPS .799 last year in a notrious pitcher's league. Let's see how he fares in the more hitter friendly Southern League, especially now that he seems to have a little interest in taking a walk.

Screwball
11-24-2008, 03:46 AM
Guess I really do ground into double posts. Oops.

SteelSD
11-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Sure thats a guy who could play in the majors. He just shouldn't bat higher than 7th. As for why he could do it even if he hasn't done it in the minors.... he has been relatively young for every league he has been in and a lot of guys do put up better hitting numbers in the majors than they do in the minors.

So far, Francisco has produced a minor league IsoD of .028. Even Juan Gonzalez produced a MiLB IsoD of .052. Vlad? .060 IsoD.

Over the last two minor league seasons, over 26 percent of his BB have been intentional. They guy has absolutely no plate discipline, and frankly, the results don't show that he has a whole lot of plate coverage either. He's a free-swinger who's best used by a smart GM as a trade package inclusion to a team who doesn't quite understand who plate discipline actually works. The idea that Francisco is in the top 10 of Reds' prospects really speaks to the weakness of the system. Very unfortunate.

Kc61
11-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Francisco turned 21 this past June. He is now at the stage when college players would be drafted.

He should be at AA next year. Let's see how he does before making any definitive judgments.

I know some people think prospects never mature, never change any habits. I think they can mature over time.

camisadelgolf
11-24-2008, 08:49 AM
The idea that Francisco is in the top 10 of Reds' prospects really speaks to the weakness of the system. Very unfortunate.

?????

Even if Francisco is a terrible prospect, why should the fact that he's hypothetically over-hyped be held against the other prospects in the system?

At one point, Homer Bailey was the Reds' #1 prospect. Even if he never sees the Major Leagues again, it doesn't mean the system is weak, am I right?

camisadelgolf
11-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Yeah, but he's never played anywhere close to a full season. He's only played in more than 100 games once and that was 110 in 2004. I think if he would've played 145+ games in any of the seasons, that OPS falls quite a bit. I also think it's fair to say that he's not going to have a breakout season or become the player that everyone thought he could/would/should be.

First of all, in the Majors, he's played 100+ games twice. And if it weren't for the fact that he were on the same team as Dunn, Griffey, and Kearns, he would have done it four or five times by now, despite being only 26 years old.

2004: shared an outfield with Dunn, Griffey, and Kearns; played 110 games with an excellent .843 OPS

2005: shared an outfield with Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, and Freel; played 99 games with a respectable .796 OPS.

2006: had to share an outfield with Manny Ramirez, Coco Crisp, and Trot Nixon; played 84 games with a very good .838 OPS

2007: was once again in crowded outfields but managed to play 110 games between the Red Sox and Nationals; had a .758 OPS, which is short of fantastic

2008: had a disaster year; .510 OPS in 64 games

Was 2008 a small sample size? Was it due to battling injury? Did pitchers figure him out (more than they did before)? Is it the beginning of the end of his career? Only time will tell. In the meantime, I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility that he could rebound and be a solid addition to the lineup.

camisadelgolf
11-24-2008, 09:04 AM

Wily Mo Pena never OPSed .800 in the minors unless you count 14 games of injury rehab in 2003. Still, Pena has managed to OPS over .800 twice while in the Major Leagues, and he might have done it three or four times if not for having to split time with so many outfielders (Dunn, Kearns, Griffey, ManRam, Coco Crisp, Trot Nixon).

kpresidente
11-24-2008, 09:31 AM
If it's at a skill position with good defense, that player will play every game all year.

Yeah, but he's error-prone and Goldstein projects a move to the OF. Strong arm doesn't necessarily = good defense.

fearofpopvol1
11-24-2008, 01:36 PM
First of all, in the Majors, he's played 100+ games twice. And if it weren't for the fact that he were on the same team as Dunn, Griffey, and Kearns, he would have done it four or five times by now, despite being only 26 years old.

2004: shared an outfield with Dunn, Griffey, and Kearns; played 110 games with an excellent .843 OPS

2005: shared an outfield with Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, and Freel; played 99 games with a respectable .796 OPS.

2006: had to share an outfield with Manny Ramirez, Coco Crisp, and Trot Nixon; played 84 games with a very good .838 OPS

2007: was once again in crowded outfields but managed to play 110 games between the Red Sox and Nationals; had a .758 OPS, which is short of fantastic

2008: had a disaster year; .510 OPS in 64 games

Was 2008 a small sample size? Was it due to battling injury? Did pitchers figure him out (more than they did before)? Is it the beginning of the end of his career? Only time will tell. In the meantime, I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility that he could rebound and be a solid addition to the lineup.

My bad, he did hit 110 in 2007 when he split his time between BOS and WAS.

I say there's no way, even if he played 150 games next year that he's able to OPS anything north of 775 and I would predict south of .750. It doesn't make him a bad player, but it would say he's fallen short of his hype. Which is exactly the point I'm trying to make about Francisco.

camisadelgolf
11-24-2008, 01:53 PM
My bad, he did hit 110 in 2007 when he split his time between BOS and WAS.

I say there's no way, even if he played 150 games next year that he's able to OPS anything north of 775 and I would predict south of .750. It doesn't make him a bad player, but it would say he's fallen short of his hype. Which is exactly the point I'm trying to make about Francisco.

I think you're probably right, but I wouldn't go as far to say that there's "no way" Pena could OPS above .775. I really think it's a possibility. As for Francisco, I think he could do it, but I also have my doubts.

fearofpopvol1
11-24-2008, 03:09 PM
I think you're probably right, but I wouldn't go as far to say that there's "no way" Pena could OPS above .775. I really think it's a possibility. As for Francisco, I think he could do it, but I also have my doubts.

Yeah, I should change what I said to, "I seriously doubt" instead of "no way." It would be interesting to see what he could put up playing 145 games, I just don't think he's going to improve at this point. I could be wrong though.

OnBaseMachine
11-26-2008, 12:21 AM
11/25:

Big night for Juan Francisco as he went 2-for-5 with two solo homers (#7 & 8). He's now hitting .345/.393/.637 - 1.030 OPS in 113 atbats. His power is unreal. He's got eight homers and 15 XBH in 113 atbats.

In Puerto Rico:

Heisey: 0-for-5 walk
Rosales: 2-for-6 triple

Soto: 1-for-1

mth123
11-26-2008, 12:39 AM
11/25:

Big night for Juan Francisco as he went 2-for-5 with two solo homers (#7 & 8). He's now hitting .345/.393/.637 - 1.030 OPS in 113 atbats. His power is unreal. He's got eight homers and 15 XBH in 113 atbats.

In Puerto Rico:

Heisey: 0-for-5 walk
Rosales: 2-for-6 triple

Soto: 1-for-1

They RH Bat no one is talking about is Adam Rosales. Lacking a deal, I play Rosales at 3B, EdE at 1B and let Votto get his move to LF out of the way.

In over 1500 Minor league ABs Rosales line is .285/.360/.484/.844. If he played in another organization we'd be salivating over him as a potential acquisition. I've been calling him a sleeper for 2 years now and even I under-rate him. The defense would be better all around with that alignment.

mace
11-26-2008, 01:14 AM
I thought it was peculiar last year when Baker was so reluctant to play Rosales. It seemed like everybody got their shot but him.

dougdirt
11-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Francisco is 1-1 with a non intentional walk and a double so far tonight.

Kc61
11-26-2008, 09:36 PM
I thought it was peculiar last year when Baker was so reluctant to play Rosales. It seemed like everybody got their shot but him.

If I recall correctly, Rosales came up to the bigs as an injury replacement. I don't think he came up initially to show his stuff, rather he filled a vacant spot on the bench. So I don't think the idea was to have him play very much.

When he did play, I was impressed by his ability to make contact. Seemed to always give a professional at bat and got the bat on the ball.

For a player like Rosales, though, the question is what special element he brings. Does he project as a big power hitter, a high average hitter, an outstanding fielder? Seems to me more of a solid utility guy who can contribute when there are some at bats available.

A good game plan for Rosales might be to start him at AAA next year and continue to work him at multiple positions. Let him play some second base, some outfield, as well as first and third. Then give him a mid-season call up when the inevitable injuries take place to fill in wherever needed.

I liked his play last year, just think that his role -- at least initially -- is as a good utility man. Eventually, with some major league experience, he could move into a starting role, he did impress me last season.

kpresidente
11-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Sure thats a guy who could play in the majors. He just shouldn't bat higher than 7th.

David Ross?

3-year line: .226/.322/.453. OK, not an exact comparison but pretty close. Last year was probably an anomaly that doesn't reflect what kind of player he really is. How about 2006-2007? .226/.309/.478. If xxx/.300/.500 with a strong arm is OK for 3B, then Ross should definately be a starting catcher.

kpresidente
11-27-2008, 01:47 AM
In over 1500 Minor league ABs Rosales line is .285/.360/.484/.844. If he played in another organization we'd be salivating over him as a potential acquisition. I've been calling him a sleeper for 2 years now and even I under-rate him. The defense would be better all around with that alignment.

I really like Rosales. I see him our future super-sub. He can play every position on the field except CF and catcher and actually hits RHP a little better than LHP (.868 vs .811) so you don't have to limit his in situations.

dougdirt
11-27-2008, 01:50 AM
David Ross?

3-year line: .226/.322/.453. OK, not an exact comparison but pretty close. Last year was probably an anomaly that doesn't reflect what kind of player he really is. How about 2006-2007? .226/.309/.478

Completely different players though. Ross won't hit for an average, Francisco will hit for something decently good. Similar OBP though, but he likely will slug more.

OnBaseMachine
11-27-2008, 03:08 AM
11/26:

Francisco finished 1-for-1 with a double and walk in a 21-13 win. He's now at .351/.403/.649 - 1.052 OPS in 114 atbats.

BTW, in this game Nelson Cruz went 4-for-5 with two homers and 9 RBI and also walked twice.

mth123
11-27-2008, 03:21 AM
Completely different players though. Ross won't hit for an average, Francisco will hit for something decently good. Similar OBP though, but he likely will slug more.

And reportedly Francisco is a good defender at his position. David Ross is not anything resebling a good defenderat catcher. He may be the worst.

dougdirt
11-27-2008, 03:22 AM
11/26:

Francisco finished 1-for-1 with a double and walk in a 21-13 win. He's now at .351/.403/.649 - 1.052 OPS in 114 atbats.

Scary thing is he was lifted for a pinch runner. That worries me slightly.

OnBaseMachine
11-27-2008, 03:23 AM
Scary thing is he was lifted for a pinch runner. That worries me slightly.

Yeah, I noticed that. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Mario-Rijo
11-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Yeah, I noticed that. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

I'm sure he just pulled a hamsandwich! :p:

kpresidente
11-27-2008, 08:49 AM
And reportedly Francisco is a good defender at his position. David Ross is not anything resebling a good defenderat catcher. He may be the worst.

Actually, Francisco is reported to have a good arm and a questionable glove (.921 FPct), which is very much like David Ross, although Francisco certainly is young enough that he can cut down on the errors.

mth123
11-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Actually, Francisco is reported to have a good arm and a questionable glove (.921 FPct), which is very much like David Ross, although Francisco certainly is young enough that he can cut down on the errors.

Wasn't Francisco named the best defensive 3B in the FSL by BA?

camisadelgolf
11-27-2008, 09:57 AM

What evidence do you have to suggest that Ross is bad at his position?

Maybe we disagree on what defense is, or maybe we just disagree on how important defense is for a catcher. Hypothetically, if Ross were bad at chasing down a foul ball, backing up the first baseman, getting to bunted balls, and/or catching throws from the outfield, I don't think that necessarily makes him bad at his position. The way a catcher handles pitchers is much more important, for example, and that can help compensate for deficiencies in the field.

mth123
11-27-2008, 10:05 AM
What evidence do you have to suggest that Ross is bad at his position?

Maybe we disagree on what defense is, or maybe we just disagree on how important defense is for a catcher. Hypothetically, if Ross were bad at chasing down a foul ball, backing up the first baseman, getting to bunted balls, and/or catching throws from the outfield, I don't think that necessarily makes him bad at his position. The way a catcher handles pitchers is much more important, for example, and that can help compensate for deficiencies in the field.

I think he is a poor receiver of the ball as its pitched. He's a got a good arm. He's terrible at plays at the plate and doesn't block the plate but acts like a torreador back there side-stepping the runners.

kpresidente
11-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Wasn't Francisco named the best defensive 3B in the FSL by BA?

I don't know and I don't have the subscription, but a google search came up with this from an interview of one of their guys:

Q: Bobo from DC asks:
Juan Francisco of the Reds: possible solid-hitting third baseman in the majors, or does his defense slate him for first base or the outfield? And who do you prefer as a future major league starting pitcher: David Purcey, Sean Marshall, Jon Niese, or Virgil Vasquez?

A: J.J. Cooper: I'd be surprised to see Francisco stick at third base. I think he'll grow into a power hitting first baseman/corner outfielder. He will have the power to make that move, the question is just the strikeouts. Of the group of pitchers, I'm going to go with Marshall because he already is an established big league starter.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/chat/2008/265872.html

Baseball Prospectus has echoed the same sentiment about a position switch. To this point, I've been under the impression that he's a bit erratic in the field.

OnBaseMachine
12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Ramon Ramirez made his Venezuelan Winter League debut a few days ago by allowing one run in 3.2 innings with 1 BB/2 K.

Pedro Viola also debuted with Gigantes del Cibao (same team Juan Francisco and Sam Lecure are on) of the Dominican League. His line: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K for the win.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Juan Francisco is back in the lineup tonight as a DH after missing a few games.

OnBaseMachine
12-03-2008, 01:25 AM
12/2:

Juan Francisco went 1-for-3 with a walk. He was replaced late in the game.

Chris Heisey went 2-for-4 with a triple and a walk.

OnBaseMachine
12-03-2008, 01:35 AM
An update on Yorman Rodriguez:

He started out hot in his first three or four games, then struggled for awhile while only playing off and on, but in his last five games he's gone 9-for-19 with a double and three walks. Overall, Yorman's line is .304/.385/.391 - .776 OPS in 51 plate appearances. He's showing good hitting and OBP skills so far. That's pretty impressive for a kid who just turned 16 years old and is very raw, plus he's facing older competition. I've already seen a few major leaguers showing up in those boxscores.

dougdirt
12-03-2008, 03:48 AM
12/2:

Juan Francisco went 1-for-3 with a walk. He was replaced late in the game.

That game was nuts. 18 innings. 9 intentional walks in the game. Poor Wilson Valdez went 0-8 in the game. Oh, and both teams scored 5 runs in the 13th inning!

OnBaseMachine
12-03-2008, 03:53 AM
That game was nuts. 18 innings. 9 intentional walks in the game. Poor Wilson Valdez went 0-8 in the game. Oh, and both teams scored 5 runs in the 13th inning!

Erick Aybar hit for the cycle as he went 5-for-9 with two singles, a double, triple, and a game tying grand slam in the 13th inning.

lollipopcurve
12-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Overall, Yorman's line is .304/.385/.391 - .776 OPS in 51 plate appearances. He's showing good hitting and OBP skills so far. That's pretty impressive for a kid who just turned 16 years old and is very raw, plus he's facing older competition. I've already seen a few major leaguers showing up in those boxscores.

His surge has coincided with his being moved from 8th/9th in the batting order to leadoff.
The Reds may have a live one here.

OnBaseMachine
12-04-2008, 12:38 AM
12/3:

Big game for Rosales:

Heisey: 1-for-3 double, two walks
Rosales: 2-for-5 two homers (#1 & 2), 4 RBI

Updated stats:

Heisey - .306/.405/.486 - .891 OPS in 72 atbats

Rosales - .293/.362/.483 - .845 OPS in 58 atbats

JayBruceFan
12-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Thats 11 walks in 18 games for Heisey

OnBaseMachine
12-04-2008, 01:09 AM
How many walks for Heisey?

11 BB/10 K in 72 atbats.

OnBaseMachine
12-04-2008, 02:24 AM
I was just reading in a Dominican newspaper that Johnny Cueto is set to join the Águilas team next week.

dougdirt
12-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Juan Francisco continues to tear through the Dominican Winter League with a 2-3 night last night with a HR and a walk.

AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO OBP SLG OPS
.345 145 31 50 8 2 9 32 12 32 .411 .614 1.025

OnBaseMachine
12-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Francisco has an IsoD of .066 in the DWL. If he can do that on a consistent basis then he could be a star.

dougdirt
12-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Francisco has an IsoD of .066 in the DWL. If he can do that on a consistent basis then he will be a star.

Fixed that for you :thumbup:

Francisco's hittability has never really been in question. It was always, 'can he hone in his approach enough to draw a few more walks a month?'. Lets not forget that he is just 21 years old still and won't be 22 until the end of June 2009.

camisadelgolf
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
12 walks in 160 at-bats is actually somewhat acceptable. If he carries that over to the States, we could finally be seeing the improvements we've all been hoping for.

Mario-Rijo
12-16-2008, 03:00 AM
12 walks in 160 at-bats is actually somewhat acceptable. If he carries that over to the States, we could finally be seeing the improvements we've all been hoping for.

It was the 1st thing I looked at. 12 is maybe a bit more than acceptable for him. We'll see how that sustains & carries over.

OnBaseMachine
12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
RECORD FOR JUAN: Juan Francisco has eight home runs for Cibao, a new Dominican Winter League record for a left-handed batter. The previous record for HR by a LH batter in the DWL was eight, established by Rafael Batista in 1974-75.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a2c5a7651-6c8a-4d8d-8ed3-80e812328db6&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

dougdirt
12-17-2008, 01:15 PM
RECORD FOR JUAN: Juan Francisco has eight home runs for Cibao, a new Dominican Winter League record for a left-handed batter. The previous record for HR by a LH batter in the DWL was eight, established by Rafael Batista in 1974-75.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a2c5a7651-6c8a-4d8d-8ed3-80e812328db6&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com
Of course Juan actually has 9. My question is though, if Juan has the LHH record with 9, what kind of record does Victor Diaz have where he has 16 currently?

OnBaseMachine
12-17-2008, 02:01 PM
I was just reading through some Winter Ball notes from a Dominican newspaper and found this:

Edinson Vólquez is scheduled to debut on 17 with the Bulls.

Besides awaiting the green light from Anaheim by permission of the torch Jose Arredondo, while Johnny Cueto is almost certain to do so in mid-December and Rafael Furcal will soon sign his contract.

Edwin Encarnacion is scheduled to debut on the fifteenth day of this month.

http://www.listindiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=84844

http://www.listindiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=84171

If that article is correct, Volquez is pitching tonight. It also says EdE was scheduled to debut on December 15th but he hasn't played yet.

OnBaseMachine
12-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Edinson debuted last night and was a little rusty: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 3 R, 4 BB, 2 K

Screwball
12-18-2008, 01:50 PM
It also says EdE was scheduled to debut on December 15th but he hasn't played yet.

Must not have gotten permission of the torch yet.

OnBaseMachine
12-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Juan Francisco...WOW!

Francisco went 4-for-5 with three homers and five RBIs last night. He's now hitting .361/.420/.671 - 1.091 OPS with 12 homers in 158 atbats.

Chris Heisey went 2-for-3 with his third homer and two walks. His line is at .303/.399/.479 - .878 OPS in 119 atbats.

redhawk61
12-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Question, at the ML level, what is Fransisco's HR potential, is he a 30-35 guy, 35-40, 40-45, dare I say 45-50 guy?

RedEye
12-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Question, at the ML level, what is Fransisco's HR potential, is he a 30-35 guy, 35-40, 40-45, dare I say 45-50 guy?

Isn't it hard to know that? I mean, Ryan Howard wasn't nearly the prodigious HR hitter he is now when he was in the minors. And then there are other prospects that are projected to have enormous power who never pan out that way (Delmon Young so far in his career).

dougdirt
12-20-2008, 03:05 PM

I don't think you will ever see anyone projected higher than 40 HR in a season (at least for a minor leaguer) by anyone who is a scout. Still, with that said, he has the upside to be a 35-40 HR guy.

Kc61
12-20-2008, 03:19 PM
If Alonso, Frazier, and Francisco are hitting third fourth and fifth at Carolina next year -- and if the major league Reds don't add a big hitter -- you wonder which club a pitcher would rather face.

OnBaseMachine
12-21-2008, 02:43 AM
AGUILAS .- Edwin Encarnacion did not start playing as expected last night in what would be his debut. It was noted that one of his hands "is ampollado" ... Andruw Jones if he returned to alignment, as well as Johnny Peralta ... Luis Poland was taken to the seventh round ... Julian TAVAREZ, who has been "less than , "Is scheduled for tonight in their home ... Johnny Cueto will start tomorrow and will share with Jose Lima in his debut...

http://www.listindiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=85285

Anyone know what ampollado means?

OnBaseMachine
12-21-2008, 02:49 AM
It appears EdE had blisters

Johnny Cueto made his debut today against the Gigantes of Cibao. Cueto is scheduled to launch around 50 ... Edwin Encarnacion debuted here last night on condition of appointed. He had planned to do before, but several blisters on his hands was so impossible. A new bat in alignment, which occasionally switch to defense at third and first ...

http://www.listindiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=85353

JayBruceFan
12-21-2008, 05:18 AM
Who wrote that stuff?

It's really akward to read

dougdirt
12-21-2008, 05:33 AM
Who wrote that stuff?

It was written in Spanish with a local twist I am sure. OBM probably had google translate it, and if you have ever used google to translate something, you know its a very rough translation.

camisadelgolf
12-21-2008, 08:40 AM
AGUILAS .- Edwin Encarnacion did not start playing as expected last night in what would be his debut. It was noted that one of his hands "is ampollado" ... Andruw Jones if he returned to alignment, as well as Johnny Peralta ... Luis Poland was taken to the seventh round ... Julian TAVAREZ, who has been "less than , "Is scheduled for tonight in their home ... Johnny Cueto will start tomorrow and will share with Jose Lima in his debut...

http://www.listindiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=85285

Anyone know what ampollado means?

My Spanish isn't as good as what it used to be, but I'm pretty sure 'ampollado' means 'amputated'.

OnBaseMachine
12-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Who wrote that stuff?

Google translated it.

OnBaseMachine
12-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Edwin Encarnacion debuted last night and what a debut it was - he went 2-for-4 with two homers, 3 RBI, and a HBP.

Francisco didn't play.

Edd Roush
12-21-2008, 07:47 PM
OBM,

Didn't EdE tear up the winter leagues last year too? How much of an indicator of future success are these Winter Leagues? I would assume it would be very loose due to inferior competition, but how excited should Reds' fans get about Winter League stats?

dougdirt
12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
OBM,

Didn't EdE tear up the winter leagues last year too? How much of an indicator of future success are these Winter Leagues? I would assume it would be very loose due to inferior competition, but how excited should Reds' fans get about Winter League stats?
The are not likely to predict future success at all. Too small of a sample size and the competition level is all over the place. You might have major leaguers and A ball guys on the same team.

pahster
12-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Edwin Encarnacion debuted last night and what a debut it was - he went 2-for-4 with two homers, 3 RBI, and a HBP.

Pretty good for a guy with one hand. :p:

tbball10
12-22-2008, 12:49 AM
any info on how has yorman rodriguez been playing lately?

OnBaseMachine
12-22-2008, 12:54 AM
any info on how has yorman rodriguez been playing lately?

His season ended on Friday. He was hitting .304/.385/.391 - .776 OPS as of two games ago but he went 0fer in his last couple games and finished at .268/.339/.357 - .696 OPS. He didn't light it up but he didn't exactly embarrass himself against more advanced competition.

OnBaseMachine
12-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Last night in the DWL:

Francisco: 1-for-3
Encarnacion: 1-for-4 HR (#3), walk

Cueto: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Here's the description of the second inning against Cueto:

* Juan Francisco singles on a ground ball to center fielder Melky Cabrera.
* Erick Almonte singles on a ground ball to center fielder Melky Cabrera. Juan Francisco to 2nd.
* Kendry Morales singles on a ground ball to center fielder Melky Cabrera. Juan Francisco scores. Erick Almonte to 2nd.
* Victor Mendez flies out to left fielder Julio Borbon.
* Felix Martinez walks. Erick Almonte to 3rd. Kendry Morales to 2nd.
* Will Venable hit by pitch. Erick Almonte scores. Kendry Morales to 3rd. Felix Martinez to 2nd.
* Lucas Montero singles on a ground ball to right fielder Victor Diaz. Kendry Morales scores. Felix Martinez scores. Will Venable to 3rd.
* With Wilson Valdez batting, Lucas Montero caught stealing 2nd base, catcher J. R. Towles to second baseman Rafael Furcal.
* Wilson Valdez pops out to first baseman Edwin Encarnacion.

All four hits were groundball singles.

camisadelgolf
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM
That's nice to hear, OBM. Thank you for posting that.

lollipopcurve
12-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Cueto: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Cueto pitching winter ball and then in the WBC does not bode well at all for his being healthy throughout the 09 season, in my opinion.

dougdirt
12-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Cueto pitching winter ball and then in the WBC does not bode well at all for his being healthy throughout the 09 season, in my opinion.

At least in winter ball he is limited to I believe 50 pitches. Obviously 0 pitches would be better, but its not like guys who pitch winter ball drop off like flies the next year.

OnBaseMachine
12-22-2008, 01:19 PM
If I were the Reds I would have limited Cueto/Volquez to either Winter Ball or the WBC, not both.

OnBaseMachine
12-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Neftali Soto received a rare start last night and went 2-for-3 with a double and a walk. He doesn't play a lot because usually the Puerto Rican League favors veterans. Soto is the fourth youngest player on his team, and the other three have played even less than Soto.

Bip Roberts
12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Soto is a bust!

Ron Madden
12-22-2008, 08:51 PM
* Wilson Valdez pops out to first baseman Edwin Encarnacion.

I wonder how many games Edwin has played at first base?

tripleaaaron
12-23-2008, 03:35 AM
That was only his second game and I think he is switching mid game?

It appears EdE had blisters

Johnny Cueto made his debut today against the Gigantes of Cibao. Cueto is scheduled to launch around 50 ... Edwin Encarnacion debuted here last night on condition of appointed. He had planned to do before, but several blisters on his hands was so impossible. A new bat in alignment, which occasionally switch to defense at third and first ...

http://www.listindiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=85353

OnBaseMachine
12-29-2008, 01:51 AM
Juan Francisco hit another homer last night in a playoff game. That doesn't count towards his regular season total.

His final stats for the regular season:

.360/.419/.665 - 1.084 OPS
161 atbats
12 HR
12 BB/34 K

Bumstead
12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
OBM

Thanks for the continuous updates!

Bip? Soto a bust? How do you figure? Personally, I think he has a great future ahead of him.

dougdirt
12-30-2008, 02:44 PM
OBM

Thanks for the continuous updates!

Bip? Soto a bust? How do you figure? Personally, I think he has a great future ahead of him.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Bumstead
12-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I think he was being sarcastic.

You are probably right. I'm glad his "nick" is Bip Roberts, it brings back so many fond memories! :)

Bumstead

camisadelgolf
12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
If you go to baseballamerica.com, you can see a picture of Yorman Rodriguez on the front page.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1871[/URL]]The top name in the group is Rodriguez, who signed with the Reds on his 16th birthday on Aug. 15 for $2.5 million, the largest signing bonus ever for a Venezuelan amateur player. Even in limited playing time, Rodriguez’s performance managed to fit the scouting reports: he’s an outstanding athlete with raw tools but still lacks feel for hitting, as he struck out in approximately one third of his trips to the plate.

OnBaseMachine
12-31-2008, 12:28 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/images/yrodriguez08428309bb.jpg
Yorman Rodriguez

11larkin11
12-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Jeez, he look like a kid I'd be facing this spring! (HS Ball)

OnBaseMachine
12-31-2008, 01:26 AM
Chris Heisey went 1-for-4 with a grand slam (#4), a walk, and 5 RBI tonight.

dougdirt
12-31-2008, 01:56 AM
Jeez, he look like a kid I'd be facing this spring! (HS Ball)

He is basically. He just turned 16 in August.

mth123
01-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Francisco continues to rake. 2 for 4 with a 2B, BB, R, RBI in the playoffs on Friday.

Bip Roberts
01-03-2009, 08:12 PM
The kid is nuts.

OnBaseMachine
01-04-2009, 01:21 AM
1/3:

Juan Francisco went 1-for-3 with a walk.

dougdirt
01-04-2009, 01:50 AM
1/3:

Juan Francisco went 1-for-3 with a walk.

Another unintentional walk. He is really beginning to get me excited.

OnBaseMachine
01-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Volquez last night: 5 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 7 K

Bip Roberts
01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
at least volquez is still not allowing earned runs some how haha

Spazzrico
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Another unintentional walk. He is really beginning to get me excited.

Any thoughts on the quality of pitching in the DWL vs. FSL? Is there any reason to think that his BB's are coming due to wildness vs. pitch selection?

BEETTLEBUG
01-04-2009, 07:58 PM
What is Francisco hitting in Winter Ball?

corkedbat
01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
With Encarnacion, Votto and Bruce already with the big club, Dorn, Alfonso adn Frazier getting close and Francisco coming on strong, next offseason's decisons on the direction in regards to the four corner spots should be very interesting a very vital to the future of this franchise.

dougdirt
01-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Juan Francisco went 2-4 with a double, HR (6th of the playoffs) and 2 RBI. He is now hitting .310/.388/.634 in the playoffs.

icehole3
01-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Doug what do you think will happen with Francisco this year?

dougdirt
01-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Doug what do you think will happen with Francisco this year?

He slugs .600 in Carolina and goes to AAA mid season with Alonso and Frazier. He doesn't fare as well the other two in AAA though. I am intrigued by his improved OBP skills in the DWL, but they still aren't all that good and I want to see it in AA next year.

RedsManRick
01-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Doug, do you have his K numbers? I'd love to see him walk more too, but just making more contact would be a start.

Kc61
01-18-2009, 05:31 PM
He slugs .600 in Carolina and goes to AAA mid season with Alonso and Frazier. He doesn't fare as well the other two in AAA though. I am intrigued by his improved OBP skills in the DWL, but they still aren't all that good and I want to see it in AA next year.

Reds have allowed Francisco to advance one level at a time, one per year. It would be in his best interests to spend all next year at AA. He's younger, didn't have the college experience, needs to work on bat control.

But since he's on the 40 man roster, they could move him more quickly, which would be too bad IMO.

dougdirt
01-18-2009, 06:19 PM
doug, do you have his k numbers? I'd love to see him walk more too, but just making more contact would be a start.
Francisco DWL regular + post season

ab h 2b 3b hr bb k avg obp slg pa bb% k%
232 80 14 2 18 17 57 .345 .409 .655 259 6.6% 22%

Kc61
01-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Doug, do you have his K numbers? I'd love to see him walk more too, but just making more contact would be a start.

At High A last year JF fanned 123 times in 516 at bats. For a power hitter, that is not a high rate. It is a K every 4.2 at bats, a 23.8 percent strikeout rate.

Some comparables in the majors for Ks per official time at bat. Not comparing overall ability, just this single stat.

ARod may be the closest comp I found, was 117 Ks in 510 at bats. Adam Laroche 122 Ks in 492 at bats. Longoria (122/448) fanned at a higher rate. BJ Upton (134/531) generally similar to JF. Geovany Soto (121/494) very close to JF.

JF did have a higher K rate the previous season, 2007. And, of course, if you look at strikeouts -- or most any adverse statistic -- as a function of total plate appearances JF suffers because of his lack of walks.

Following JF's numbers, he seems quite proficient at making contact, which helps his BA, SLG and RBI numbers. He needs to walk more.

RedsManRick
01-18-2009, 09:30 PM
From BA

Dominican Winter Spotlight

Posted Jan. 15, 2009 10:28 am by Kary Booher
Filed under: Winter Ball

Sift through the pile of stats coming out of the Dominican League, and it’s almost too good to be true.

Pablo Ozuna, a 34-year-old third baseman, must have found the fountain of youth. What else to make of his time there? When the playoffs got under way, he was the regular-season batting champ and led in on-base percentage and was third in slugging in finishing .390/.467/.568.

But on the website BA uses to check the Dominican League’s official stats, the names of the ERA leaders are, well, absent. And maybe that’s to protect the innocent.

The Dominican League’s runs per game came in at a whopping 5.9 this year. That was a full two runs more than a year ago, and 1.7 runs more than in 2006. More surprising, consider hits from last year (2,355) compared to this year (2,963), and consider home runs from last year (126) to home runs this year (289).

So what gives?

"The pitching was down, and the umpires were awful," one National League scout said. "The pitchers were kind of forced to lay it in there. And there were comments like, ‘We’ve never seen this before.’"

Other front-office personnel echoed those comments.

"The pitching looked very suspect to what I’ve seen in the past," Rangers farm director Scott Servais acknowledged.

And from Cubs farm director Oneri Fleita came this nugget, "All I can tell you is I’ve had a lot of calls, guys asking for pitching," Fleita said. "It’s hard. Guys aren’t pitching as much this winter."

To compare, consider the high Class A California League and the Arizona Fall League, two circuits long known as hitters’ havens.

The Cal League’s runs per game last season were 5.2, while the AFL checked in with a chart-topping 6.9 runs per game.

In other words, in this Dominican League notebook, use the stats as somewhat of a guide but proceed with caution.

kpresidente
01-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Well, that really takes the wind out of my Juan Francisco sails.

SMcGavin
01-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Well, that really takes the wind out of my Juan Francisco sails.

Well, definitely take his DWL stats with a grain of salt, but his numbers have been so great that you can discount them a little bit and they are still quite impressive.

Kc61
01-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Francisco did get 62 extra base hits as a 21 year old playing in a pitcher's high-A league. His success didn't just begin in the DWL He obviously has ability.

The question is how he will do at the higher minor league levels. I'm optimistic, but we'll see.