PDA

View Full Version : I think the Reds have found their future catcher

Carolina Red
09-23-2008, 10:43 PM
I have been hearing the rumors that the Reds may be shopping for a catcher in the offseason. If the last few weeks is any indication I think they already have a catcher that can play as good as anyone they could bring in.

Hanigan has impressed me with his presence behind the plate. He is good with the pitchers, has a terrific arm, and is decent with the bat. It would be interesting to see how his batting average will hold up over an entire season behind the plate in the bigs.

As far as that goes, all these kids they have brought up have impressed me. I'm cautiously optimistic about next year.

Bip Roberts
09-23-2008, 10:51 PM
I think it would be hard to find a better fit for the price. League minimum and entering what people call a players prime production years, which should keep him around league average, is something I could deal with for a couple seasons.

Most of all the price tag is something I value a ton.

GOYA
09-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Having seen Hanigan here in Louisville, I hated seeing the Reds running Bako and Ross out there everyday. If he had a little more pop in his bat he would be outstanding. But as it is he is all the Reds need defensively and offensively.

HeatherC1212
09-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I really want to see Hanigan get a shot at winning that starting job outright next year. He's been fabulous since he was brought up this year. The pitchers all seem to like pitching to him, his defense is pretty great, and he has a good approach at the plate (he can hit and also take a walk). I really hope they give him a chance! :)

sabometrics
09-23-2008, 11:53 PM
'07-'08 Major League Stats:
- .284 BA/.383 OBP/.778 OPS
- 162 Game Projections: 10 HR 56 RBI (of course he won't play 162, but whatever)
- .995 FP and 29% CS pct. (Career CS %'s: Ross - 38.5%, Bako - 31%, League AVG - ~27%)

Granted, those are taken from a very small sample size - only 94 PA and 29 G, but I'd take that any year after what we've thrown out there for the past few seasons. I think he's a good fit, he's not necessarily young persay, at 28 he's got enough years behind the plate to make me think that he's the experience to play the position, even though his major league experience is lacking, he seems to have the poise that you need there.

Past that he seems to have the right mindset (for a nice read click here (http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_244014448.html)) for a new catcher that could be to be calling the shots on-field. Plus it helps having a catcher that you can feel comfortable with knowing it's unlikely he'll hit sub-.230 at least after watching the LaRues, Bakos, and Rosses of he league destroy the bottom half of our order.

ChatterRed
09-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Look at the free agent market for catchers, and you will quickly agree that Hanigan is all this team needs. He can do no worse than what is available.

And all these proposed trades with the Rangers to nab a catcher.......I find ridiculous. I don't think Laird or Teagarden are any better than Hanigan at this point. It would be a waste of good prospects to try and get one of those two, IMHO.

dougflynn23
09-24-2008, 10:08 AM
:) Prior to Javy Lopez, the Braves had a Greg Olsen and Charlie O'Brien platoon that was more than good enough to win with. The early 1990's Pirates had Don Slaught/Mike LaValliere. The best Reds team of the last 30- years had Jeff Reed and Joe Oliver. You don't need a stud catcher to win.

tommycash
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I am happy with Hanigan. I just don't want a 3rd catcher on this team anymore.

TheBigLebowski
09-24-2008, 02:36 PM
I agree. No reason to spend money on someone who may well be inferior to Hanny.

Ghosts of 1990
09-25-2008, 10:04 AM
I think Hanigan is at best a Jason Larue type. He wreaks of Larue to me.

If you guys wanna get excited about Hanigan then don't complain when we're in 5th place next year at this time again, ok?

podgejeff_
09-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Hanigan will be a fine catcher to hold the place until Mesoraco might hopefully be ready. Who knows, he may develop into something ultimately better than Mesoraco.

I think we should still look for another decent catcher and let either Bako or Valentin go, but I'm fine giving Hanigan a shot at starting out of ST.

Ghosts of 1990
09-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I'll say one thing, i hope we only bring 2 guys back from spring training next year as catchers. I hope its Javy and Hanigan to be honest.

Jr's Boy
09-25-2008, 02:57 PM
I remember Bronson was unsure about him,as he had yet to catch him.Now Arroyo's resurgence in the second half has had Hanigan catching his games for the most part,and he hasn't missed a beat.I would assume a good SP would have a little say so in who he wants catching him.So Hanigan may have Bronson in his corner lobbying for him.

tommycash
09-25-2008, 03:16 PM
I'll say one thing, i hope we only bring 2 guys back from spring training next year as catchers. I hope its Javy and Hanigan to be honest.

Didn't you just say you didn't like Hanigan? Like we would be in 5th place in the central with him.

redlegs7089
09-25-2008, 05:10 PM
hanigan has been good so far but we were all saying the same thing when david ross first when he played for the reds he was erally hot that first year with us and then he took a turn for the worse

tommycash
09-25-2008, 07:07 PM
hanigan has been good so far but we were all saying the same thing when david ross first when he played for the reds he was erally hot that first year with us and then he took a turn for the worse

Just don't sign Hanigan to a big money contract until he can prove himself over more than just one year (unlike Ross).

Jr's Boy
09-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Reds.MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports Cincinnati Reds C Ryan Hanigan is in line to start at catcher next season. Hanigan is batting .266 (29-for-79) with two home runs and nine RBIs in 29 games, but his real value has been demonstrated in how well he's worked with pitchers. Reds pitchers are 14-8 with a 3.68 ERA when he's catching.
(KFFL)

Interesting stat.