PDA

View Full Version : Oregon State leading USC

paintmered
09-25-2008, 10:02 PM
14-0 with 6:00 to go in the first half. Discuss...

dougdirt
09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Just turned it on after The Office went off. Fantastic.

paintmered
09-25-2008, 10:05 PM
And now USC turns the ball over.

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Oregon State owns USC. Mike Riley always out coaches Pete Carroll. On 3rd and 7 you take the QB out and bring in a RB to play QB? Brilliant.

Bip Roberts
09-25-2008, 10:08 PM
USC will win

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2008, 10:09 PM
This game is over. USC can't stop Jacquizz Rodgers and USC's playcalling has been awful.

paintmered
09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
And USC will go into the half down 21.

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2008, 10:23 PM
This game is definitely over now. First Oregon State was going to settle for a field goal but USC commited a personal foul which gave OSU a first down and another shot at a TD. On the next play the QB throws a ball into the interception, the ball hit a USC player right in the hands for what should have been an interception and then bounced into the hands of a Oregon State receiver. 21-0 Oregon State at halftime.

Mike Riley owns Pete Carroll.

gefootball10
09-25-2008, 10:24 PM
This game is definitely over now. First Oregon State was going to settle for a field goal but USC commited a personal foul which gave OSU a first down and another shot at a TD. On the next play the QB throws a ball into the interception, the ball hit a USC player right in the hands for what should have been an interception and then bounced into the hands of a Oregon State receiver. 21-0 Oregon State at halftime.

Mike Riley owns Pete Carroll.

its not over. mark it down.

Roy Tucker
09-25-2008, 10:24 PM
As a Buckeye fan, I sure am glad to see OSU leading USC 21-0.

Trouble is, it's Oregon State University. But I'll take it, nonetheless.

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
A year or two ago I would have been throwing crap. Not anymore. My interest in football continues to drop more and more each year for some reason.

KronoRed
09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
USC will win

Agreed.

LoganBuck
09-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Pete Carroll has a problem getting that team focused. Give USC a top end opponent and they play lights out. Then they sit around and read the newspaper about how great they are and play like this. It is mind boggling.

MWM
09-25-2008, 11:14 PM
There was never a doubt who would win this game. ACtually, I think USC will wind up winning by a good margin.

BuckeyeRed27
09-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Very long field to try an tie the game for USC right now and they just aren't making the plays.

This is why I love college football.

BuckeyeRed27
09-25-2008, 11:45 PM
3 and out for USC they will be punting from their end zone with 10 to go

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2008, 11:47 PM
This is why I love college football.

I do like how college football has changed over the years. Anyone can beat anyone these days.

MWM
09-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Wow, USC looks completely lost on offense, and it makes no sense at all. This is clearly the case of poor coaching by USC and great coaching by Oregon State.

OnBaseMachine
09-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Oregon State has this one wrapped up. USC always struggles in Corvallis for some reason. In 2004 USC barely escaped with a 28-20 win in Corvallis. In 2006 USC lost 33-31 and are about to lose again at OSU.

OnBaseMachine
09-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Ballgame. Sanchez throws an interception and OSU return it to the USC four three yard line. Great game by Oregon State. USC should fall out of the top ten and Georgia or Oklahoma will be #1.

MWM
09-26-2008, 12:11 AM
I know of Oregon State's success against USC in the past, but this is as surprised as I've been watching a college football game in a long time. USC looks like a completely different team than they have early in the year. Heck, Oregon State lost to Stanford already and they were demolished by Penn State. Carroll and his staff were simply outclassed this game.

Boston Red
09-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Last year Stanford and this year OSU. USC loves throwing in a stinker against an awful team every year.

jmcclain19
09-26-2008, 12:13 AM
This is exactly why I HATE with a fiery passion when commentators start in Sept talking about potential BCS busters and "What happens if 3 teams are undefeated" discussion.

It's September ladies and gents - let the games play out for a few months.

USC is still the dominant world beater but they seem to lay one or two of these eggs every season now.

I wonder if that's just going to be the catch for Carroll's team, the occasional loss of focus when playing a lesser team. Talent wise they should threaten every year to go undefeated.

kaldaniels
09-26-2008, 12:13 AM
OSU beats USC!!!

That felt kinda good to write. :D

OnBaseMachine
09-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Carroll and his staff were simply outclassed this game.

No question about it. Oregon State does this every year, they get off to an awful start and finish strong. Still, there is no way USC should lose to Oregon State. Once again Mike Riley out coached Pete Carroll.

MWM
09-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Ballgame. Sanchez throws an interception and OSU return it to the USC four three yard line. Great game by Oregon State. USC should fall out of the top ten and Georgia or Oklahoma will be #1.

I still think USC will play for the National Title. I don't think Oklahoma will be challenged this season in the Big 12 (of course I said the same thing about USC) and I don't think anyone else will be undefeated. I think it will be USC/Oklahoma.

Boston Red
09-26-2008, 12:15 AM
OSU beats USC!!!

Not over.

kaldaniels
09-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Not over.

Over.

OnBaseMachine
09-26-2008, 12:16 AM
I still think USC will play for the National Title. I don't think Oklahoma will be challenged this season in the Big 12 (of course I said the same thing about USC) and I don't think anyone else will be undefeated. I think it will be USC/Oklahoma.

No way. USC doesn't deserve it. They laid an egg against a lesser team and should pay for it IMO.

Boston Red
09-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Over.

Onside kick will decide the outcome. If USC recovers, they win.

Boston Red
09-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Now it's over.

MWM
09-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Looks like USC's kicker hasn't practiced on-side kicking much. I kicked off in high school and i could have done better than that.

Michael Young
09-26-2008, 12:20 AM
usc's protection in this game was atrocious

MWM
09-26-2008, 12:20 AM
I still don't get this. Oregon State lost to Penn State 45-18. They gave up 36 points to Stanford. And they just completely shut down one of the best offenses in the country.

kaldaniels
09-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Dare I....and I mean dare I.....

suggest that the championship quest for the Buckeyes may not be finished. Before the season I proclaimed 1 loss during the year for the Bucks and they would be eliminated from BCS title discussion.

However...I can forsee a season where OSU gets hot with TP at the helm and the national media falls in love with TP, and if the chips fall right, slotting OSU in the BCS game once again.

Many ifs on this scenario of course...but tonight helped the Buckeyes in that regard, no doubt.

cincrazy
09-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I told all of you OSU was going to beat USC.

And when I said OSU, I meant Oregon State :thumbup:

Michael Young

suggest that the championship quest for the Buckeyes may not be finished. Before the season I proclaimed 1 loss during the year for the Bucks and they would be eliminated from BCS title discussion.

However...I can forsee a season where OSU gets hot with TP at the helm and the national media falls in love with TP, and if the chips fall right, slotting OSU in the BCS game once again.

Many ifs on this scenario of course...but tonight helped the Buckeyes in that regard, no doubt.

oh boy lol that didnt take long

kaldaniels
I still don't get this. Oregon State lost to Penn State 45-18. They gave up 36 points to Stanford. And they just completely shut down one of the best offenses in the country.

I'm still trying to apply the transitive property to Tennessee, having lost to UCLA, then the Bruins went on to lose to BYU 59-0. How bad are the Vols? That stuff makes my head hurt.

Boston Red
09-26-2008, 12:24 AM
How about 11-0 BYU vs. 11-0 Utah for a spot in the championship game?

kaldaniels
09-26-2008, 12:24 AM
oh boy lol that didnt take long

Hey I don't have a huge rooting interest in the matter...but lets be honest...the scenario is there. Figured on this board there'd be some discussion.

MWM
09-26-2008, 12:25 AM

No way. They'd have to be the only one loss team and no way does that happen. As an OSU fan, I want no part of it this year. Plus, I think the Bucks lose at least one more this year. Simply put, they're just not that great this year.

OnBaseMachine
09-26-2008, 12:25 AM

I would love that. There is a very good chance that Utah and BYU will be 11-0 when they face off. BYU could play with anyone in the country.

Michael Young
09-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Hey I don't have a huge rooting interest in the matter...but lets be honest...the scenario is there. Figured on this board there'd be some discussion.

haha i kno. just made me laugh b/c u knew it would be brought up sooner rather than later :D

MWM
09-26-2008, 12:27 AM

Never happen. One of the reason I'd like to see a playoff is to allow teams like that the chance. Most of the time, they'd wind up losing to the top tier teams, but every once in a while, they'd win.

But if you can only choose two teams, for a team like BYU or Utah to get to the title game, they better have a bigger win on their resume than UCLA.

Boston Red
09-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Based on Ohio State's performance so far this year, they probably would not even be in the top 25 if it wasn't for preseason polls.

MWM
09-26-2008, 12:28 AM
I would love that. There is a very good chance that Utah and BYU will be 11-0 when they face off. BYU could play with anyone in the country.

They could score on anyone, and I mean anyone. But they're defense isn't athletic enough to play with a super athletic offense.

kaldaniels
09-26-2008, 12:28 AM
No way. They'd have to be the only one loss team and no way does that happen. As an OSU fan, I want no part of it this year. Plus, I think the Bucks lose at least one more this year. Simply put, they're just not that great this year.

Are you as absolute in that statement as you were in your "never a doubt" statement about tonights game???

I kid, I kid. :D

MWM
09-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Based on Ohio State's performance so far this year, they probably would not even be in the top 25 if it wasn't for preseason polls.

That's a little over the top. They're not as good by their standards, but there's not 25 teams out there that could beat them. I think they're about right between 12-15.

Boston Red
09-26-2008, 12:29 AM
But if you can only choose two teams, for a team like BYU or Utah to get to the title game, they better have a bigger win on their resume than UCLA.

The Mountain West is undefeated against the Pac-10, so I guess they'll be playing some pretty good teams all year.

Plus, the winner of that game will have beaten BYU or Utah. That's a bigger win on the resume than UCLA.

MWM
09-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Are you as absolute in that statement as you were in your "never a doubt" statement about tonights game???

I kid, I kid. :D

I have a history on this board of absolute statements dating back to the 2004 ALCS. Whenever MWM makes an absolutel statement, you can almost set your watch to it being wrong. :)

kaldaniels
09-26-2008, 12:31 AM
I could go on and on about how college football is becoming so diluted. Its not necessarily a bad thing, just the way it is now. Unfortunately the more dilution occurs, the worse the BCS system plays out.

OnBaseMachine
The Mountain West is undefeated against the Pac-10, so I guess they'll be playing some pretty good teams all year.

Plus, the winner of that game will have beaten BYU or Utah. That's a bigger win on the resume than UCLA.

The Pac-10 sucks this year.

Boston Red
That's a little over the top. They're not as good by their standards, but there's not 25 teams out there that could beat them. I think they're about right between 12-15.

I don't know. They haven't played well in a single game yet. Youngstown hardly counts, but it wasn't a blowout. They trailed Ohio by two scores in the third quarter. USC pounded them. And Troy had the ball in the fourth quarter with the chance to take the lead. There are certainly 25 teams that have played better over the course of their four games this year.

Boston Red
09-26-2008, 12:32 AM

Sure, but anyone going undefeated in the Pac-10 would likely have been playing for a national title.

kaldaniels
09-26-2008, 12:33 AM
I pains me to say this but 4 of the top 5 teams in the country could very well be in the SEC.

*BaseClogger*
09-26-2008, 12:58 AM
I think it's funny that Jim Tressel receives so much criticism for losing in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game when Pete Carrol can't get his teams focused for such inferior competition...

*BaseClogger*
09-26-2008, 01:00 AM
I don't know. They haven't played well in a single game yet. Youngstown hardly counts, but it wasn't a blowout. They trailed Ohio by two scores in the third quarter. USC pounded them. And Troy had the ball in the fourth quarter with the chance to take the lead. There are certainly 25 teams that have played better over the course of their four games this year.

That happens when you are playing without your Heisman candidate running back. If you don't like preseason polls because they don't allow the season to play out, you should probably be a little more patient about judging how good the Buckeyes are...

George Foster
09-26-2008, 01:01 AM
I pains me to say this but 4 of the top 5 teams in the country could very well be in the SEC.

Why does it pain you to say it? It's true. The national championship game could well be Sat. Alabama vs. Georgia.

What sucks for SEC fans is only one team can actually play for the national championship. I cannot think of a senerio that would have a rematch of the SEC championship game and the BCS championship game.

Boston Red
09-26-2008, 01:03 AM
That happens when you are playing without your Heisman candidate running back. If you don't like preseason polls because they don't allow the season to play out, you should probably be a little more patient about judging how good the Buckeyes are...

All I said is that based on what they have actually done, they don't really belong in the top 25. That doesn't mean they won't at some point prove themselves worthy.

And Ohio State shouldn't be struggling with Ohio and Troy just because they're missing one player.

George Foster
09-26-2008, 01:08 AM
That happens when you are playing without your Heisman candidate running back. If you don't like preseason polls because they don't allow the season to play out, you should probably be a little more patient about judging how good the Buckeyes are...Do you really think that OS's Heisman candidate would of made that much difference in that game? A difference between a win and a loss?

The game against Troy would concern me a lot if I were a OS fan. After the loss to USC, they should of took out a LOT of frustration against Troy IMO.

*BaseClogger*
09-26-2008, 01:11 AM
All I said is that based on what they have actually done, they don't really belong in the top 25. That doesn't mean they won't at some point prove themselves worthy.

And Ohio State shouldn't be struggling with Ohio and Troy just because they're missing one player.

I think a 28-10 victory without arguably the best running back in the country and a freshman's making his first career start against a team which won 8 games the previous season is reasonable...

Boston Red
09-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Uh huh. I'm sure that's exactly what you were saying as Troy was driving down 14-10 right at the end of the third quarter.

Sure, it was a reasonable win, but if you put Temple jerseys on the Ohio State team and had the same results, they wouldn't have a single vote for the top 25.

VR
09-26-2008, 01:21 AM
I think Jacquizz might be a name to remember. At 5'6" and a buck eigthy soaking wet....he went for 187 against a very very good USC defense. Amazing performance.

*BaseClogger*
09-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Uh huh. I'm sure that's exactly what you were saying as Troy was driving down 14-10 right at the end of the third quarter.

Sure, it was a reasonable win, but if you put Temple jerseys on the Ohio State team and had the same results, they wouldn't have a single vote for the top 25.

Fair enough, I concede that if they started the polling this week tOSU would probably not be a Top 25 team if they weren't "Ohio State." I misinterpreted your original post as saying they aren't a Top 25 team...

:owned:

kaldaniels
09-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Why does it pain you to say it? It's true. The national championship game could well be Sat. Alabama vs. Georgia.

What sucks for SEC fans is only one team can actually play for the national championship. I cannot think of a senerio that would have a rematch of the SEC championship game and the BCS championship game.

It pains me to say the Cubs are the odds on favorite to win the NL.

It pains me to say the BoSox (sorry TB) are my odds on favorite to win the AL.

It just does...sorry I can't give you more details...maybe I have a low pain tolerance :confused:

SirFelixCat
09-26-2008, 03:11 AM

While, for the most part, this is true, I will stick up for my Oregon Ducks...

They didn't have 1 of their starting corners last week and, just like last season, they are down to their 5th string QB. I don't care what team it is, if you're counting on your 5th string QB to win you games, you're SOL.

Roy Tucker
09-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Lots of football to be played yet.

I can envision a scenario where Terrelle Pryor plays lights out, Wells comes back in Heisman form, the freshman OL plays great and the Bucks win out.

I can also envision where Pryor has freshman growing pains, Wells' toe bothers him all year, the freshman on the OL play like freshman, and OSU loses to Wisconsin and Penn State.

Let 'em play it out and lets talk in November. I'd say NC game will be SEC/Big 12.

Chip R
09-26-2008, 10:15 AM
I said after the tOSU/USC game that I didn't think any team would go undefeated and right now USC's making me look like a prophet.

OnBaseMachine
09-26-2008, 11:11 AM
While, for the most part, this is true, I will stick up for my Oregon Ducks...

They didn't have 1 of their starting corners last week and, just like last season, they are down to their 5th string QB. I don't care what team it is, if you're counting on your 5th string QB to win you games, you're SOL.

Oh I agree with that. I think Oregon is a very, very good team with a healthy QB. I've never seen a team more snake bitten at the QB position than Oregon (except for maybe UCLA). Darron Thomas looks like he could be a good QB next year.

HotCorner
09-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Think Chad and TJ will talk smack to Carson and the other USC alums? ;)

IslandRed
09-26-2008, 12:24 PM
The funny thing is, if USC still makes it to the national championship game, I'm picking them regardless of the opponent. They've been a fantastic big-game team in recent years. But that one Pac-10 game a year where they just don't show up against a team that has no business beating them? That's what's keeping a lot of hardware out of their trophy case.

LoganBuck
09-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Ohio State versus USC in the Rose Bowl?

Will a retooled OSU with a healthy Chris Wells have a different result?

MWM
09-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Ohio State versus USC in the Rose Bowl?

Will a retooled OSU with a healthy Chris Wells have a different result?

Nope. Tressel isn't capable of coaching against a team like USC, in my opinion. I know he's revered very highly by a lot of fans. And I also do recognize that he's done a lot of great things with the program. But he's still got major weaknesses that become exposed when he faces a team like USC or the top SEC style teams.

Until Tressel either gets the right coaches in place (i.e. new offense), or is williing to rethink his entire ideology, I don't see them having lots of success in those types of games.

guttle11
09-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Well, Ohio State does have a new offense. They're just now able to implement it into game situations since Tressel made the move to stick with Pryor full time. Starting next year, (because Beanie will likely leave) OSU will be almost 100% spread offense. Look at the RBs they have and have coming in. They aren't exactly built like Eddie George and Beanie. They're built to play the spread.

It'll start with Pryor, and probably be handed down to Braxton Miller from Wayne in a few years. It's very likely he'll be a Buckeye. If not, they'll get another Spread QB.

15fan
09-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Sooooooo disappointed in the lack of headlines from this game.

Beavers vs. Trojans.

Come on people. Get your minds in the gutter and get creative.

improbus
09-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Nope. Tressel isn't capable of coaching against a team like USC, in my opinion. I know he's revered very highly by a lot of fans. And I also do recognize that he's done a lot of great things with the program. But he's still got major weaknesses that become exposed when he faces a team like USC or the top SEC style teams.

Until Tressel either gets the right coaches in place (i.e. new offense), or is williing to rethink his entire ideology, I don't see them having lots of success in those types of games.

I do think that Tressel has some problems in big games, but since 2005 he has only lost to teams who played in BCS Bowls (2005 - PSU, Texas; 2006 - Florida; 2007 - Illinois, LSU; 2008 -USC). Three out of those six were National Champs (and USC is a potential fourth). USC has lost to Oregon State twice, UCLA, and Stanford in that time. Oklahoma has lost to Colorado, TTU twice , TCU, and UCLA. LSU has lost to Kentucky and Arkansas. While OSU chokes in big games, they still get to them and they beat the teams they should beat.

gilpdawg
09-27-2008, 01:35 PM

No. Just no. Go away Buckeyes. Hopefully forever.

kaldaniels
09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
No. Just no. Go away Buckeyes. Hopefully forever.

I'm not saying it should happen. I'm not saying it will happen. But despite the Buckeyes recent BCS history, do not underestimate the national media drooling over Terrelle Pryor if he continues to play as well as he has in his first 2 games as the starting QB.

The odds are against the Buckeyes running the table at this point in my opinion...I'd give them a 30 percent chance of doing it. All I'm saying is that if they run the table and TP is outstanding...I won't be suprised to see them in the BCS title game once again. Not my personal opinion here, but just my opinion of what the media would do.

A one-loss SEC team gets in over OSU. A one-loss USC gets in over OSU. Other than that...OSU has a shot over other one-loss teams.

Before the season I thought one loss would eliminate the Buckeyes, but Pryor has changed my mind (not that they belong in the title game, but my mind has changed in that the press still may put them back with 1 loss if Pryor continues to be a phenom.)

kaldaniels
09-27-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm not saying it should happen. I'm not saying it will happen. But despite the Buckeyes recent BCS history, do not underestimate the national media drooling over Terrelle Pryor if he continues to play as well as he has in his first 2 games as the starting QB.

The odds are against the Buckeyes running the table at this point in my opinion...I'd give them a 30 percent chance of doing it. All I'm saying is that if they run the table and TP is outstanding...I won't be suprised to see them in the BCS title game once again. Not my personal opinion here, but just my opinion of what the media would do.

A one-loss SEC team gets in over OSU. A one-loss USC gets in over OSU. Other than that...OSU has a shot over other one-loss teams.

Before the season I thought one loss would eliminate the Buckeyes, but Pryor has changed my mind (not that they belong in the title game, but my mind has changed in that the press still may put them back with 1 loss if Pryor continues to be a phenom.)

Present viewers only....right now check out the front page of espn.com to see what I'm talking about.

guttle11
09-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Well, OSU is going to need a lot of help. Penn State and Wisconsin both have to be undefeated when OSU plays them (Wisky needs to beat UM today) for one. Illinois probably has to only have two losses when the Bucks go to Champaign. Of course, Ohio State needs to win out. If the Big Ten starts to fall apart and Penn State and Wisconsin don't finish 2nd and 3rd behind a one loss Buckeye team...the perception that the Big Ten is stronger this year will probably be gone.

They also need only one undefeated or one loss team from the following: USC, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama Oklahoma, and Missouri. Sure, many of those teams will knock each other off, but that won't be enough on its own, IMO. The Bucks would need a few Oregon State like upsets.

All in all, I don't see it happening. Too much has to go right, and I wouldn't pick OSU to win out in the first place, even as a Buckeye homer.

Finish strong, win the Big Ten, and the Rose Bowl...and OSU's respect will be largely back, though. IMO of course.

improbus
09-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Well, OSU is going to need a lot of help. Penn State and Wisconsin both have to be undefeated when OSU plays them (Wisky needs to beat UM today) for one. Illinois probably has to only have two losses when the Bucks go to Champaign. Of course, Ohio State needs to win out. If the Big Ten starts to fall apart and Penn State and Wisconsin don't finish 2nd and 3rd behind a one loss Buckeye team...the perception that the Big Ten is stronger this year will probably be gone.

They also need only one undefeated or one loss team from the following: USC, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama Oklahoma, and Missouri. Sure, many of those teams will knock each other off, but that won't be enough on its own, IMO. The Bucks would need a few Oregon State like upsets.

All in all, I don't see it happening. Too much has to go right, and I wouldn't pick OSU to win out in the first place, even as a Buckeye homer.

Finish strong, win the Big Ten, and the Rose Bowl...and OSU's respect will be largely back, though. IMO of course.
Well, considering what happened last year, who knows what will happen. OSU needed six or seven things to happen to make the title game, and ALL of them happened. So, don't be too surprised if OSU sneaks back up to the top.

kaldaniels
09-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Ole Miss up by a touchdown with 6 minutes to go over UF.

kaldaniels
09-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, considering what happened last year, who knows what will happen. OSU needed six or seven things to happen to make the title game, and ALL of them happened. So, don't be too surprised if OSU sneaks back up to the top.

Actually ALL of them happened, plus some. Remember OSU ended the season #1 in the BCS. Not trying to show you are inaccurate, but just pointing how ridiculous it was last year, with the chips all falling the Buckeyes way.

kaldaniels
09-27-2008, 03:41 PM
UF answers with a TD but the PAT is blocked :eek:

Caseyfan21
09-27-2008, 03:47 PM

Until the Florida/LSU losses Tress was considered one of the best big game coaches in the nation. He had quite a streak going for UM games and bowl games. While he has been embarrassed in the past two years he has shown an ability to get it done in big games before. Granted, he still hasn't been able to get an effective game plan for spread and running QB type offenses.

*BaseClogger*
09-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Until the Florida/LSU losses Tress was considered one of the best big game coaches in the nation. He had quite a streak going for UM games and bowl games. While he has been embarrassed in the past two years he has shown an ability to get it done in big games before. Granted, he still hasn't been able to get an effective game plan for spread and running QB type offenses.

They did a pretty good job against Texas Tech in 2002, Kansas State in 2003, and Texas in 2005...

kaldaniels
09-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Ole Miss beats Florida.

OnBaseMachine
09-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Ole Miss beats Florida 31-30 at Florida. Wow. Instead of kicking a 49 yard field goal, Urban Meyer decides to go for it on 4th and 1 and they failed to get a first down.

kaldaniels
09-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Ole Miss beats Florida 31-30 at Florida. Wow. Instead of kicking a 49 yard field goal, Urban Meyer decides to go for it on 4th and 1 and they failed to get a first down.

Personally I think Meyer made the right call at the time. Just didn't execute.

guttle11
09-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Personally I think Meyer made the right call at the time. Just didn't execute.

Yeah, I agree. The kicker's longest career FG is 40 yards, and I think he is very young.

Going was the proper call. His error was running the most obvious play that could have been run. And Tebow made some mistakes, too. Going for TDs instead of trying to get the first down...and overthrowing both passes to boot.

Not a good 2 minute drive from Florida. Pretty horrible actually.

VR
09-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Alabama just putting a beating on Georgia. It will be a vastly different top ten come next week.

MWM
09-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Alabama just putting a beating on Georgia. It will be a vastly different top ten come next week.

Yeah, Georgia is loaded with talent, but they always seem to underperform. They're a legit top tier team, but every time I've watched them the last few years, they've seem to play sloppy quite a bit. It's obvious who the better coaching staff is in this game. I'm not sold on Richt as a top coach.

OnBaseMachine
09-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Alabama will probably jump to #1.

OnBaseMachine
09-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Not so fast. Georgia just returned a punt 92 yards for a touchdown. It's now 31-17 with 14:41 remaining in the game.

OnBaseMachine
09-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Alabama has pulled away again. 41-17 with 4:13 remaining.

Michael Young
09-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Georgia has pulled away again. 41-17 with 4:13 remaining.

Alabama?

OnBaseMachine
09-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Doh! I fixed it.

Unassisted
09-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Actually ALL of them happened, plus some. Remember OSU ended the season #1 in the BCS. Not trying to show you are inaccurate, but just pointing how ridiculous it was last year, with the chips all falling the Buckeyes way.And once again this week, a couple of teams above them in the poll were upset.

This Buckeye fan wouldn't be comfortable with this edition of the Buckeyes as an NC game team, but the upset dominos are continuing to fall to their advantage and we know that those poll voters have short memories.

I'll be interested to see the line on the Wisconsin game after this week's results.

guttle11
09-27-2008, 11:17 PM
And once again this week, a couple of teams above them in the poll were upset.

This Buckeye fan wouldn't be comfortable with this edition of the Buckeyes as an NC game team, but the upset dominos are continuing to fall to their advantage and we know that those poll voters have short memories.

I'll be interested to see the line on the Wisconsin game after this week's results.

If the unimaginable happens and they get back, I'll be fully comfortable. That would mean they would be exponentially better than they are today, and they're legit Top 10-15 caliber right now.

D-Man
09-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Bama has the best offensive line I've seen in college football in a long, long time. John Parker Wilson isn't an awesome QB, but he looked like one today because had all day to throw the ball.

Oklahoma will likely be the #1 team when the rankings come out tomorrow, but Bama is clearly the *best* team I've seen this year.

kaldaniels
09-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Bama has the best offensive line I've seen in college football in a long, long time. John Parker Wilson isn't an awesome QB, but he looked like one today because had all day to throw the ball.

Oklahoma will likely be the #1 team when the rankings come out tomorrow, but Bama is clearly the *best* team I've seen this year.

Luckily for them, they've brought their A game when most people are watching. I doubt many saw them beat Tulane 20-6. Very good team nonetheless.

LoganBuck
09-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Andre Smith would look good in Bengals stripes.