PDA

View Full Version : Marvin out?

Matt700wlw
09-30-2008, 06:05 PM
http://www.profootballcentral.com/2008/09/29/source-bengals-could-fire-marvin-lewis-by-end-of-week/

freestyle55
09-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Too bad that decision is not who they should HIRE as a GM...

or that Mike Brown was selling the team to someone who actually cared about how the team does more than does it sell seats...

or that he was firing all of the Brown family members from the front office...

those would be real changes that might actually do something to help this pathetic organization

Bip Roberts
09-30-2008, 06:29 PM
I expect palmer to IR soon after as well.

Michael Young
09-30-2008, 06:31 PM
hire a gm mikey you fool.

if it wasnt for being born to paul brown, mikey wouldn't have come within 10000000 miles of an nfl franchise :(

SeeinRed
09-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Who knows if its true, but if I had my choice, Zimmer would be next man in right now. He seems to be a no-nonsense type. I don't believe firing Marvin is what will fix the franchise at all, I'm just saying if its going to happen, Zimmer is who I would pick to fill the position for now.

MWM
09-30-2008, 07:39 PM
I feel bad for Marvin. I think he can be a good head coach, but I no one, and I mean NO ONE can succeed under Mike Brown.

Highlifeman21
09-30-2008, 07:45 PM
If Marvin's out, good for him.

He'll go onto greener pastures.

Reds4Life
09-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Firing him now would be pointless, this season is over. Might as well let Marvin finish it out and see who is available in the offseason.

If Brown was smart, which he isn't, he'd hired a GM and do everything in his power to get Bill Cohwer. If you have to overpay, then overpay. Of course none of this will happen, it's Mike Brown we are talking about here.

Redsfaithful
09-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Never thought I'd say it after suffering through the 90's and remaining a fan but I'm about done with the Bengals. I have a six month old son, and I'm seriously wondering why I'd want to inflict this on him.

I live in Columbus where there are about four other pro teams within a four hour drive, and it might be about time to jump on one of those bandwagons. I don't know. Last thing I ever thought I'd be would be a "bandwagon" fan, but it's been 13 years for the Reds, and the Bengals have had one winning season since 1990, and I just feel sick of it all. There's absolutely no way I could ever give up on the Reds, maybe partially because there's always still something to enjoy about baseball, even when you follow a losing team, but that's not really true of pro football. A 3-13 season is pretty miserable, all the way around.

Firing Marvin Lewis wouldn't fix anything. The guy has his faults, but he'd be a perfectly adequate coach for a franchise with a clue. I guess the Bengals might pull a 2005 out of the air every 20 years or so, but I can't see them ever being a consistent winner as long as Mike Brown is the owner. I like the NFL too much for the Bengals to keep ruining it for me. I'll see how things shake out for the rest of this year with coaching changes or whatever, but I'm pretty close to done with them. I can't be alone.

hebroncougar
09-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Who knows if its true, but if I had my choice, Zimmer would be next man in right now. He seems to be a no-nonsense type. I don't believe firing Marvin is what will fix the franchise at all, I'm just saying if its going to happen, Zimmer is who I would pick to fill the position for now.

You mean HE'D get rid of someone like Chris Henry? Oh, wait. Marvin stuck his neck out, after Mikey decided to cut him. Then Brown made him look like a fool, and cut Marvin's legs out from under him and signed him back.

guttle11
09-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Firing him now would be pointless, this season is over. Might as well let Marvin finish it out and see who is available in the offseason.

If Brown was smart, which he isn't, he'd hired a GM and do everything in his power to get Bill Cohwer. If you have to overpay, then overpay. Of course none of this will happen, it's Mike Brown we are talking about here.

The problem isn't that Mike Brown lacks intelligence. It's quite the opposite.

Be it now or January, Marvin Lewis will be fired. And Ol' SOP will do just enough to make the bulk of the fan base buy into his actions. He'll make just enough concessions. He may even hire a lame duck GM to appease. He knows he has to do that to keep butts in the seats, the beer taps flowing, and jerseys selling.

The NFL is changing. It's evolving from an effortless cash cow to a business where you have to spend money to make money. He'll make sure they're just barely good enough to make a ton of cash.

MWM
09-30-2008, 11:26 PM
You're not alone Redsfaithful. I also thought I'd never even entertain the idea of abandoning one of the teams I follow, but I've given it serious consideration over the past couple of seasons for the reasons you mention. I just have such contempt for Mike Brown that I don't want to root for his team. I don't if I'll truly be able to abandon them, but I'm really at that point. Living here in Minnesota, I've got another team to root for at least and I'm a big Adrian Peterson fan.

remdog
09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
.....I'm a big Adrian Peterson fan.

Well, in all honesty, is that such a tough thing? ;)

I'm no big fan of Marvin's but it seems like Mike has always been the doggy doo that you can never quite get off of your shoe. After awhile there's the thought of simply throwing the shoes away just to get rid of the stink.

Rem

Yachtzee
10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Rather than jump on some other bandwagon, I've become a much more "fairweather" fan. I can't imagine rooting for another team, but I just can't get emotional about the Bengals anymore. I think maybe when Mike Brown finally relinquishes control of the team I might get excited about NFL football again, but until then, I might put the game on for background noise while I fold laundry or something, but I'm not going to invest my time, effort, or money into supporting the Bengals.

toledodan
10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
You mean HE'D get rid of someone like Chris Henry? Oh, wait. Marvin stuck his neck out, after Mikey decided to cut him. Then Brown made him look like a fool, and cut Marvin's legs out from under him and signed him back.

as soon as that happened i knew marvin and the team were done.

KronoRed
10-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Lewis is probably going to throw a party when he is let go.

gonelong
10-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Rather than jump on some other bandwagon, I've become a much more "fairweather" fan. I can't imagine rooting for another team, but I just can't get emotional about the Bengals anymore. I think maybe when Mike Brown finally relinquishes control of the team I might get excited about NFL football again, but until then, I might put the game on for background noise while I fold laundry or something, but I'm not going to invest my time, effort, or money into supporting the Bengals.

I am in the same boat. I can't muster up anything but amusement for the Bengals anymore.

GL

Cyclone792
10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I am in the same boat. I can't muster up anything but amusement for the Bengals anymore.

GL

Yep, this season thus far I've done a whole lot of laughing while watching this team. The lines on both sides of the ball are about as bad as they can be.

I do feel bad for Palmer though. Heck of a quarterback and a heck of a guy, but he's stuck in an awful situation. He's got talent for receivers (always has), but at least a few years ago he had a line in front of him that was able to protect him and generate a solid running game. Now the line stinks; they can't protect him, and they can't generate any running game.

And the defense, well the defense has never really done anyone any favors since I can remember.

dsmith421
10-01-2008, 09:31 AM
I also thought I'd never even entertain the idea of abandoning one of the teams I follow, but I've given it serious consideration over the past couple of seasons for the reasons you mention. I just have such contempt for Mike Brown that I don't want to root for his team. I don't if I'll truly be able to abandon them, but I'm really at that point.

Yep, me too. I got fooled by the 2004-05 resurgence and got on the season ticket mailing list. Got tickets this season. It's been an unmitigated waste of money, and it will be my last.

durl
10-01-2008, 09:55 AM
You're not alone Redsfaithful. I also thought I'd never even entertain the idea of abandoning one of the teams I follow, but I've given it serious consideration over the past couple of seasons for the reasons you mention.

I got lucky. The Titans came to town and gave me an opportunity to drop the Bengals as my favorite team. :D

I believe I'll always have a soft spot for them, though.

SeeinRed
10-01-2008, 10:10 AM

His ability to get players to follow a set of rules and his being able to cut players are two different things. Seeing as he would be a interim coach for now, it is highly doubtful that he would be able to make many decisions as far as the roster is concerned. His main job would be to deal with the players he already has. Out of the likely candidates for interim head coach, Zimmer would be my choice because he seems to demand respect and discipline from his players, IMO.

Hoping a coach can change this franchise is absolutely pointless. I have no idea what it would take for that to possibly happen. For now, I will hope for the best in a bad situation.

macro
10-01-2008, 10:42 AM
I got lucky. The Titans came to town and gave me an opportunity to drop the Bengals as my favorite team. :D

I believe I'll always have a soft spot for them, though.

I wish I could drop the Bengals for the Titans. I actually live closer to Nashville than I do to Cincinnati.

I was in attendance at the first game ever played at the Titans stadium in 1999. It just so happened to be against the Bengals (poetic justice). Fed up with the Bengals, I had decided to drop them after 24 years and become a Titans fan. But when the game came down to the final moments and the Bengals had a shot to win, I got butterflies in my stomach hoping they could pull it out, and then realized that trying to divorce myself from this awful franchise was impossible.

I continued to root for the Titans throughout that 13-3 Super Bowl season, but could never muster up the necessary enthusiasm for the franchise to be considered a "fan". I like them, but it's not the same.

Like some of you, though, I have pulled away from the Bengals. I vowed to stop watching after Week 2 this year, the earliest I have ever done that.

Johnny Footstool
10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm not all that impressed with Marvin.

A coach who can't keep his players in check is a poor coach.

And aside from the Bengals' one playoff appearance, has he really done anything to turn the franchise around? He can't muster a defense to save his life.

bucksfan2
10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm not all that impressed with Marvin.

A coach who can't keep his players in check is a poor coach.

And aside from the Bengals' one playoff appearance, has he really done anything to turn the franchise around? He can't muster a defense to save his life.

Jeff Fisher is considered one of the best coaches in the game, yet he couldn't keep Pacman in check. Tom Coughlin is a super bowl winning coach yet cant keep Plaxico Burress in check.

The list is long and distinguished of coaches who can't keep their players in check. The Bengals because of one season continue to come under intense scrutiny. As a matter of fact there was an article written earlier this year about the legal troubles that the Jaguars have had, that they have become the worst in the league, yet it escapes the headlines.

Redsfaithful
10-01-2008, 12:02 PM
And aside from the Bengals' one playoff appearance, has he really done anything to turn the franchise around?

Yes. The rest of the country might see his 8-8s and see mediocrity, but that's a pretty big difference from the 90s and early 00's. The Bengals went 3-13 four times in the 90's, 4-12 twice, 5-11 once, 6-10 once, and 2-14 once between 1991 and 2002.

Usually being in the playoff race until the last few weeks of the year? A .500 team in general? A division title? That's turned around in my book when you're talking about the worst professional franchise in all of sports.

Marvin does do some stupid things, and I don't want to defend him too much, but I think if you throw him down in another city with an owner who has a clue and he'd probably be in the playoffs most years. He's done about all he can with Mike Brown at the helm, but Brown wore him down into patheticness, just like he does everyone else who comes to Cincinnati.

Maybe Mike Zimmer will be the answer. But I doubt it, because Mike Brown will still own the team.

durl
10-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Jeff Fisher is considered one of the best coaches in the game, yet he couldn't keep Pacman in check. Tom Coughlin is a super bowl winning coach yet cant keep Plaxico Burress in check.

The list is long and distinguished of coaches who can't keep their players in check. The Bengals because of one season continue to come under intense scrutiny. As a matter of fact there was an article written earlier this year about the legal troubles that the Jaguars have had, that they have become the worst in the league, yet it escapes the headlines.

I see your point but I believe there's a difference here. Coaches can't hand-hold individual players that constantly get into trouble. I tend to put more responsibility on the coach when there's a culture of lawlessness among a group of players.

Jones just wanted to live like he was still in the hood. He was arrested more than once between draft day and training camp. At some point these kids have got to realize they've been given a chance to earn millions of dollars and create a great life for their future generations.

cincrazy
10-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I love Marvin Lewis. He was the first coach in DECADES to come in and give this franchise legitimate hope. I wish him nothing but the best down the road. Save yourself, Marvin. Get the hell out now while you still can.

I never thought I'd see the day where I was so unemotional towards any of my teams. But I don't even care when the Bengals lose anymore. It's a laughing matter to me. They are a disgrace, they are an embarrassment, and they don't deserve my attention.

Caveat Emperor
10-01-2008, 05:52 PM
It's amusing to look at the Bengals as a non-fan but living in Cincinnati and seeing the constant coverage and most of the games.

The problem with team is (and always really has been) an inability to identify and acquire players on the offensive line and defensive line. Since I've followed the franchise, they've had horrific interior men playing on both sides of the ball. They lack the ability to find and develop those kinds of players.

The reason, I'd wager, is their stubborn refusal to expand their scouting department. Good talent can come from anywhere, you just have to pay people to watch tape and attend games to go find it. The New England Patriots are starting a right guard, Nick Kaczur, that played at the University of Toledo (not known as a football powerhouse or a powerhouse conference) when I was there for law school. They had people scouting him, in person, at games I attended a year prior to the draft. The Buccaneers pulled a guy from the Arena league to play d-line for them, and got a 10-sack guy in Greg White. The Dallas Cowboys have a pro-bowl QB that didn't even play D1 ball. Good scouts found, identified, and convinced their teams to draft or sign each of these players.

The Bengals have the worst scouting department in professional football, and it shows itself on the positions that are the most difficult to draft and develop.

ochre
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
The Bengals have the worst scouting department in professional sports, and it shows itself on the positions that are the most difficult to draft and develop.
fify

SunDeck
10-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I just got asked by a relative if I wanted to use one of his tickets for a couple games this year. For the first time in thirty years, my reaction was complete disinterest. The Bengals are hopeless, I have given up on them utterly. Marvin stays, Marvin goes, they hire Condi Rice to be head coach next year; it makes no difference.

MrCinatit
10-01-2008, 09:06 PM
I consider myself a casual football fan - thus a casual Bengals fan - yet, I cannot yet tear myself from the team yet. I know they are hopeless, but I watch week after week.
Perhaps someday, I will spend my Sundays doing something less painful like nailing my hand to a tree or allowing my neighbors to give me swift kicks in the groin with steel-toed shoes - but for now, I am caught in their spider web of incompetence.

BEETTLEBUG
10-02-2008, 02:18 PM
When is he out or how?

freestyle55
10-02-2008, 02:34 PM
The Bengals have the worst scouting department in professional sports, and it shows itself on the positions that are the most difficult to draft and develop.

fify

Actually, it should probably say, IF THE BENGALS ACTUALLY HAD A SCOUTING DEPARTMENT, IT WOULD PROBABLY BE the worst scouting department in professional sports, and it shows itself on the positions that are the most difficult to draft and develop.

ochre
10-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure that's entirely true. I can remember reading about how Tim Krumrie wrestled Justin Smith and determined that he was the guy. That's scouting. Sort of.

SunDeck
10-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Actually, it should probably say, IF THE BENGALS ACTUALLY HAD A SCOUTING DEPARTMENT, IT WOULD PROBABLY BE the worst scouting department in professional sports, and it shows itself on the positions that are the most difficult to draft and develop.

What's really sad is that Paul Brown was legendary for his ability to pick talent.

freestyle55
10-02-2008, 04:46 PM
What's really sad is that Paul Brown was legendary for his ability to pick talent.

What's sadder is that his talent died off with him, and definitely was not passed down through the family tree...

freestyle55
10-02-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure that's entirely true. I can remember reading about how Tim Krumrie wrestled Justin Smith and determined that he was the guy. That's scouting. Sort of.

And Chad said the other day that they did better when people were getting arrested, so that might be kind of scouting (suggesting they get arrested or look at all the guys who've been arrested), or at least some intuitive thinking :)

Travis Henry will probably make bail, might be able to finish the season before he gets thrown in jail for his "multikilogram" coke transaction the other day...

ochre
10-02-2008, 07:20 PM
That's kind of the root of the problem. "Scouting is easy"..."just look how daddy did it". Whether consciously, or not, I'm sure that is a line of thought that has passed between Mike's ears.