PDA

View Full Version : Poll...Pedro Martinez

MartyFan
09-30-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not but with Pedro Martinez being a FA and both Edinson and Johnny idolizing him AND Pedro still being a good pitcher, do you think the Reds would make an attempt to bring him to Cincinnati?

BRM
09-30-2008, 05:22 PM
I can't see Walt making a play for him unless he came relatively cheap. His last good season was 2005.

Vada Pinson Fan
09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
If Pedro ever wanted to become a pitching coach then I could see Cincinnati being interested in him. The Reds have finite dollars to spend and old veterans just doesn't fit the bill anymore, if they ever did for the Reds, despite the resume of Pedro Martinez.

Degenerate39
09-30-2008, 05:45 PM
If the Reds wanted to go after an old guy I'd rather go after Randy Johnson than Pedro right now.

OnBaseMachine
09-30-2008, 05:45 PM
You know, if the Reds could get him cheaply on a one year deal I would love to see Pedro brought in as maybe a reliever. He's still got decent stuff and maybe a move to the bullpen could do him some good. Plus, Cueto and Volquez idolize him. Those two could learn a lot being around Pedro on a daily basis. I wouldn't give him anything more than a one year deal though.

bucksfan2
10-01-2008, 08:28 AM
I want absolutely nothing to do with Pedro. He has always been a me first type a guy and a weird cat to say the least. I think both Cueto and Volquez look up to him as a country man but don't really know him. I just have a feeling that a worn down version of Pedro would do more harm than good to two young pitchers on the verge.

NJReds
10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Nope. He's got nothing left in the tank. Someone will take a flyer on him, but it's a risk the Reds can't afford.

GADawg
10-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I was at the braves/mets game a couple of Saturday's ago when Pedro pitched and he didn't seem to have much. I know velocity isn't everything but I think I noticed him hit 89 once in the 4th inning but I don't recall seeing anything above 86-87 at any other point.

RedsManRick
10-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I would absolutely love to have Pedro in the bullpen -- but he's not worth what it would cost to pay him as a starter. I'd give him $5M and let him give it 100% for 25 pitches twice a week while having him mentor Cueto and Volquez. But somebody will give him a lot more than that. I think he stays a Met.

Highlifeman21
10-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd rather have Pedro be our closer than Cordero.

Chip R
10-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I think it would depend on if we're getting $12M Pedro or $3M Pedro.

fearofpopvol1
10-02-2008, 12:21 PM
I think it would depend on if we're getting $12M Pedro or $3M Pedro.

I actually agree. For the right price, I would love to have Pedro as a 5th starter. He's obviously an injury risk, but being a 5th starter, that should limit his innings. He's still got good stuff, even if he's older.

NJReds
10-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Unless he makes a miraculous recovery over the winter and finds the 5-8 mph on his fastball the he lost, you'll only get Majewski production out of him.

fearofpopvol1
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Unless he makes a miraculous recovery over the winter and finds the 5-8 mph on his fastball the he lost, you'll only get Majewski production out of him.

No way. His offspeed stuff is still light years better than Maj. Pedro should be offended!

Patrick Bateman
10-02-2008, 02:39 PM

For all the crap Cordero gets, he ended up posting near his normal calibre numbers. The walk rate ended up pretty high (hopefully this foot ailment was the main reason for his walk rate nearly doubling), but he's still a closer calibre pitcher either way.

Meanwhile, Pedro is like 83 years old, has a declining fastball, injury concerns to the ceiling, and was patently horrible by every means imaginable last season. Would a move to the bullpen help? Probably, but I think it's a pretty wild stretch to suggest he could automatically transform into a top 30 relief pitcher in baseball, be durable enough to pitch on back to back days, and without sustaining key arm injuries.

NJReds
10-02-2008, 03:34 PM
No way. His offspeed stuff is still light years better than Maj. Pedro should be offended!

His fastball is about the same speed as his changeup these days.