PDA

View Full Version : Why is everybody counting out Gonzalez?

kpresidente
10-01-2008, 07:04 AM
There seems to be a lot of talk about SS, it makes me wonder why people are ignoring Alex Gonzalez. Why wouldn't you pencil him into the lineup for 2009?

AGon put up a .793 OPS in 2007. That would have ranked 6th among qualified SS this year. Here's a list of our starters who ranked lower than 6th at their position this season...

Joey Votto
Brandon Phillips
Edwin Encarnacion
Ken Griffey Jr.
Jay Bruce

In fact, the only hitter we had who fared better compared to other players at his position than AGon's 2007 would have was Adam Dunn in LF.

Defensively, the stats say Gonzalez is a league-average SS, while his reputation says he's better than that. Either way, it's not like we're talking about a liability in the field.

His injury was a compression fracture. It's not ligament damage. He should recover fine, so I can't see that as the issue.

There's financial reasons for going with Gonzalez next year as well. He's scheduled to make over $5 million. You have to pay that anyway, meaning if you bring in somebody from outside for $5 million, you're essentially paying them ten. Bring in somebody at $10 million, and you're paying them $15. Who out there represents such an upgrade over AGon that they'd be worth throwing money away like that?

So what is it? Why all push for a new SS? Obviously, we don't have a long-term solution there, but given the other needs, it's hard to SS as a priority this offseason.

Moosie52
10-01-2008, 07:25 AM
He misses a lot of games.

Bip Roberts
10-01-2008, 08:12 AM
He doesnt stay healthy and his career OPS is actually quite low

redsbuckeye
10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
AGon put up a .793 OPS in 2007. That would have ranked 6th among qualified SS this year. Here's a list of our starters who ranked lower than 6th at their position this season...

Joey Votto
Brandon Phillips
Edwin Encarnacion
Ken Griffey Jr.
Jay Bruce

That's a bit misleading. You're comparing a guy who had essentially a career year at a typically offensively challenged postion to guys who play positions known for their offense except for Phillips at 2nd.

One short season doesn't convince me he's going to keep it up.

Defensively, the stats say Gonzalez is a league-average SS, while his reputation says he's better than that. Either way, it's not like we're talking about a liability in the field.

His injury was a compression fracture. It's not ligament damage. He should recover fine, so I can't see that as the issue.

The stuff I see suggests he a below average defender, and the injury, chronic or not, probably doesn't bode well for a guy who needs range to play the position well. He's not old, but even if he does fully recover, it's just not a good level of play.

There's financial reasons for going with Gonzalez next year as well. He's scheduled to make over $5 million. You have to pay that anyway, meaning if you bring in somebody from outside for $5 million, you're essentially paying them ten. Bring in somebody at $10 million, and you're paying them $15.

But this is the reason he'll play next year, so the discussion is probably moot anyway.

kpresidente
10-01-2008, 01:58 PM
The stuff I see suggests he a below average defender

3rd in the majors in RZR (.862), 21st in FPct (.963), based on an uncharacteristic 14 errors in '07. Figure a .975 FPct and .850 RZR for '08. If anything, he's a good bit above average, surely top-10.

One short season doesn't convince me he's going to keep it up.

A .730-.750 OPS is a good guess and is about league average. Career figures are low coming from Florida, then add the GABP factor.

Oxblood
10-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Why is everyone counting him out? Because he's not very good and he's coming off of a serious injury.

Stephenk29
10-01-2008, 03:43 PM
In defense of him, the previous year he had some serious medical issues with his young son. Last year he had a terrible injury. To me it just seems like he's having a run of bad luck. Is he some superstar? Of course not, but I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is the shortstop and he can get the job done.

Lockdwn11
10-01-2008, 04:31 PM
3rd in the majors in RZR (.862), 21st in FPct (.963), based on an uncharacteristic 14 errors in '07. Figure a .975 FPct and .850 RZR for '08. If anything, he's a good bit above average, surely top-10.

A .730-.750 OPS is a good guess and is about league average. Career figures are low coming from Florida, then add the GABP factor.

His 14 errors in 07 wasn't anymore uncharacteristic then his 793 OPS. I don't think people are counting him out in 08 as much as thier are looking for the guy that can hold down SS for 08 and years to come. He will not have played for the better part of a year and a half, comming off of a knee injury and he will be 32. I don't see him comming close to his career year of 07 because of this but I may very well be wrong.

fadetoblack2880
10-01-2008, 08:55 PM
he'll be fine and he'll be the SS on opening day and throughout the season. they can't trade him and he's making to much to sit on the bench. unlike keppinger, he is a shortstop.

bubbachunk
10-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Not to be redundant but health and overhype of his glove ability

Ghosts of 1990
10-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I think whenever a guy takes a year off baseball, its tough to know if he'll ever be the same. I didn't think he was anything too special albeit servicable to begin with; so we'll see. I'd like to see the Reds go after JJ Hardy or groom a young SS. If not, AGon should be ok for another season, or kepp

redsfandan
10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I think whenever a guy takes a year off baseball, its tough to know if he'll ever be the same. I didn't think he was anything too special albeit servicable to begin with; so we'll see. I'd like to see the Reds go after JJ Hardy or groom a young SS. If not, AGon should be ok for another season, or kepp

hardy is under milwaukees control for two more seasons so the only way he won't be with the brewers in '09 is if he's traded and it's very doubtful that milwaukee would trade him to fill a need of a team within their own division.

kpresidente
10-02-2008, 03:02 PM
I think you guys are missing the point. I'm not saying Gonzo is an all-star, I'm saying we've got a gaping hole in the middle of the line-up and the best we can pencil in as a 5th starter had an ERA around 6 last year, which means SS can wait, given that Gonzo looks league-average to me.

Focusing on replacing him looks like one of those "win-now" moves that's going to keep us from ever "winning-now."

walk-off
10-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I just don't see him as the Reds long term solution at ss, but a 1 year stop gap at best for god knows who

I(heart)Freel
10-05-2008, 02:44 PM
The year-plus off scares me big-time. And unless he goes to play fall ball or winter league somewhere, then the Walt won't know if he has a starting SS until spring training, when it might be too late to do something about it.

Kind of a risk. But as someone else pointed out, I could live with that risk if we addressed the other more pressing needs.

Moosie52
10-06-2008, 07:47 AM
If he is able to play, I assume he has the shortstop position locked up. But will he be able to play? That's the question.