PDA

View Full Version : And they call themselves "Pirates"?

15fan
10-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Anyone else keeping up with the pirates off the coast of Somalia?

Clearly it's a serious situation. But I must admit, part of me is happy to know that there are still pirates sailing the 7 seas.

This story, though, troubles me.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/10/04/somalia.priates.attacks.ap/index.html?iref=newssearch

Specifically, this is the bothersome part:

"Another attack was foiled because the pirates were badly prepared: The ladder they had brought to climb on to the ship was too short."

The ladder was too short?

What kind of panty-waist pirates do we have out there these days? I thought pirates were supposed to swing from ropes and scale the sides of hijacked ships with their bare hands & daggers in their mouths.

I hope the international governing body of pirates calls for a full-blown investigation. The fact that something as mundane as an inadequate ladder prevented pilaging, plundering, and swashbuckling should be a black eye to pirates everywhere.

If you want to be a pirate, then by God be a pirate. Otherwise, turn in your Jolly Roger flag and step to the side.

RANDY IN INDY
10-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Pirates! Argghhhh!:D

Highlifeman21
10-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Ladder too short?

.... amateur hour...

macro
10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Maybe they're run by the same people who run the baseball franchise in Pittsburgh?

GoReds33
10-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Maybe they're run by the same people who run the baseball franchise in Pittsburgh?Or the football franchise in Cincinnati.:D

Boston Red
10-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I think it's amusing that these pirates are getting sick and dying on the Iranian ship (if, in fact, this story is true, which is not confirmed). Oops, wrong ship!

macro
10-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Or the football franchise in Cincinnati.:D

Well, yes, in terms of ineptness, but the football franchise in Cincinnati is named the Bengals, so it doesn't fit as well as "Pirates". :)

KronoRed
10-06-2008, 03:10 PM
What would Jack Sparrow say?

gonelong
10-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Well, yes, in terms of ineptness, but the football franchise in Cincinnati is named the Bengals, so it doesn't fit as well as "Pirates". :)

Mike Brown has been raping and pillaging the city of Cincinnati for some time now ... I'd say he qualifies as a pirate.

GL

Unassisted
10-06-2008, 04:48 PM
This has been happening for a while. I remember this story from last year (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8DNUV2G3&show_article=1), when a cruise ship had to fend off a pirate attack with some kind of sonic weapon. Being on a ship boarded by pirates would probably take the fun out of a cruise vacation in a big way.

Before you get all romantic about this, consider that nowadays "they're attacking ships packed with food aid, rather than gold and treasure (http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/03/argh-pirates-in.html)."

*BaseClogger*
10-06-2008, 04:53 PM

The Bengals players certainly act like pirates...

GAC
10-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Pirates demanding 20 mil while sitting on a ton of munitions.

I still say one precisely place rocket takes care of two problems.

And no, I'm not talking about the Bengals..... though that may work too. ;)