PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 minor leaguers you would target

redhawk61
10-06-2008, 08:40 PM
List Your top 3 minor leaguers from around MiLB, that the Reds could realistically get...(ie. no Wieters)

1. Ivan De Jesus SS Dodgers
2. Elvis Andrus SS Rangers
3. Lou Marson C Phillies

mth123
10-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Nice list. I'll play.

1. Elvis Andrus
2. Reid Brignac
3. Taylor Teagarden

HOFROSE
10-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Encarnacion and Bailey for Teagarden and Andrus.

gefootball10
10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Encarnacion and Bailey for Teagarden and Andrus.

heck i would just do bailey for andrus. but i doubt texas would do that. andrus is a stud!

redsfandan
10-06-2008, 10:02 PM
i think texas likes andrus and teagarden alot (more than salty) so i wouldn't expect either of them dealt. but brignac is a definite possibility since tampa took beckham 1st in this years draft with the idea that he'd be their ss of the future.

a few other ss's that could be available are oscar tejada from boston, chris nelson and hector gomez from colorado and marcus lemon from texas.

Orenda
10-06-2008, 10:11 PM
marcus lemon looks to be the worst defender on earth

redsfandan
10-06-2008, 10:52 PM
he's just one of the few i mentioned who i thought could be available. shotstop is one of the better positions to target simply cuz they can be moved to other positions easier if it's needed.

dougdirt
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Austin Romine - C NYY
Reid Brignac - SS TB
Jonathon Lucroy - C MIL

Mario-Rijo
10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
1.) Fernando Martinez CF Mets (Is he even ava. doubt it but Beltran is in NY)
2.) Brignac/Andrus SS Rays/Rangers
3.) Angel Salome C Mil

dougdirt
10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
1.) Fernando Martinez CF Mets (Is he even ava. doubt it but Beltran is in NY)
2.) Brignac/Andrus SS Rays/Rangers
3.) Angel Salome C Mil

I doubt FMart is available, but I would love to get my hands on him. He is going to be pretty good. Salome is someone who crossed my mind, but I figured the Crew would keep him so thats why I went with Lucroy instead. Good list. :thumbup:

redsfandan
10-07-2008, 05:49 PM
fernando martinez was the one player that new york wouldn't make available in the johan santana talks and i doubt they will for us.

Orenda
10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
1. Gaby Sanchez
2. Adam Moore
3. Max Ramirez

klw
10-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Does Nelson Cruz with texas still count as a minor leaguer?

redsfandan
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
not with 557 mlb at bats

Betterread
10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
1. Matt Wieters C
2. Buster Posey C
3. Chris Tillman RHP

mth123
10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
1. Matt Wieters C
2. Buster Posey C
3. Chris Tillman RHP

Those are pretty good. I thought we were trying to name guys who may realistically be available. If we're just naming the top three guys, I'll go for David Price, Rick Porcello and Tim Beckham.

Betterread
10-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Those are pretty good. I thought we were trying to name guys who may realistically be available. If we're just naming the top three guys, I'll go for David Price, Rick Porcello and Tim Beckham.
I like your picks. I interpreted the thread to mean the players I wished the Reds would target. They are probably unavailable but I would ask the question what it would take to acquire them.

redhawk61
10-07-2008, 08:45 PM
1. Matt Wieters C
2. Buster Posey C
3. Chris Tillman RHP
:bash: No untoucables lol

Betterread
10-07-2008, 09:35 PM
:bash: No untoucables lol
You were clear. My mistake.

redhawk61
10-07-2008, 11:23 PM
You were clear. My mistake.
now, just remember how I made you do that. ;)

redsfandan
10-07-2008, 11:41 PM
hmmm 3 untouchables... i'd probably take andrus, wieters, and moustakas. (sorry i couldn't resist)

edit: or price over moustakas. than we'd definitely be in the playoffs almost every year from 2010 on without any more expensive veterans added. ahh if only....

Mario-Rijo
10-08-2008, 09:26 AM
I doubt FMart is available, but I would love to get my hands on him. He is going to be pretty good. Salome is someone who crossed my mind, but I figured the Crew would keep him so thats why I went with Lucroy instead. Good list. :thumbup:

Thanks Doug. Yeah I'm with you here FM and Salome aren't real likely but there is enough possibility there to warrant asking about them.

Mario-Rijo
10-08-2008, 09:31 AM
fernando martinez was the one player that new york wouldn't make available in the johan santana talks and i doubt they will for us.

Yeah I know Dan but with time passing and pressure mounting on the Mets to make the playoffs already who knows? For say BP we might be able to put some kind of deal together that works for both teams. Not that I wanna deal BP but he's someone that the Mets could fill a major hole with both from a talent and swagger perspective both of which I believe they need.

But bottom line is ya never know until you ask, right?

redsfandan
10-08-2008, 03:56 PM
the problem with picking fmart is that we already have options down the road for all 3 outfield spots. will they be as good as fmart? with the exception of bruce, probably not if the hype is to believed. but my point is that we DO have options. what are our options at shortstop in 2010??

Orenda
10-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Question for the guru's: What is the prospect status of the Marlins John Raynor? He wasn't mentioned as one of Florida's top 10 prospects in 2008 and he also didn't crack BA's top 20 in the southern league. He struck out alot but he also hit for a high average, drew walks, and carried an OBP north of 400 and an OPS of 890.

lollipopcurve
10-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Question for the guru's: What is the prospect status of the Marlins John Raynor? He wasn't mentioned as one of Florida's top 10 prospects in 2008 and he also didn't crack BA's top 20 in the southern league. He struck out alot but he also hit for a high average, drew walks, and carried an OBP north of 400 and an OPS of 890.

What I've read says he doesn't defend well enough to play CF and doesn't hit enough to start in a corner. Heisey and Henry (not to mention Stubbs) may already be better options -- OFs with speed and decent bats who can defend.

Mario-Rijo
10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
the problem with picking fmart is that we already have options down the road for all 3 outfield spots. will they be as good as fmart? with the exception of bruce, probably not if the hype is to believed. but my point is that we DO have options. what are our options at shortstop in 2010??

Well who says you can't do both? I'm not likely to overlook that Filet Mignon if the price is right just because I am looking for ground beef.

redsfandan
10-10-2008, 04:30 PM
ok i'd agree with that. if he's available i wouldn't mind knowing the price as long as it isn't too much.

redsfandan
10-11-2008, 08:36 AM
another name i'd like to know the availability of would be tampas Jake McGee. he's a lefty who was a strikeout machine in '06/'07 (11+ k's/9 ip with a cumulative whip under 1.25 and only 17 hrs allowed in 274 ip). unfortunately for him he had tj surgery in july and is expected to be out most of next year. but since tj has become relatively routine he could still pan out to be a solid starter and tampa is kinda loaded with good pitchers these days (kazmir, shields, garza, price, davis, etc) so maybe he'd be expendable at a price that's a little less than full value.

or better yet, maybe a deal for both McGee and Brignac. both have had their stock fall, could still pan out and help us (a lefty for a rotation full of righties and a possible long term solution for shortstop) and may be expendable to tampa.

kpresidente
10-13-2008, 08:33 AM
i think texas likes andrus and teagarden alot (more than salty) so i wouldn't expect either of them dealt. but brignac is a definite possibility since tampa took beckham 1st in this years draft with the idea that he'd be their ss of the future.

Only thing about Andrus is they just gave Michael Young a big deal. They do like Teagarden better than Salty, but I think they like Ramirez better than Teagarden.

redsfandan
10-14-2008, 07:13 AM
Only thing about Andrus is they just gave Michael Young a big deal. They do like Teagarden better than Salty, but I think they like Ramirez better than Teagarden.

i think i remember reading somewhere that they planned to eventually move young to another position (think it was 3rd).

corkedbat
12-18-2008, 12:39 PM

Just grab talent where and when you can find it. If it creates a surplus somewhere like the OF, then you have more chips to deal for needs like SS or C.

tripleaaaron
12-20-2008, 02:46 AM
Just grab talent where and when you can find it. If it creates a surplus somewhere like the OF, then you have more chips to deal for needs like SS or C.

I agree 100% with this statement but just to play along:

1. Elvis Andrus, they have Michael Young in front and Marcus Lemon not too far behind, Maybe Texas will buy that if we throw in Herrera it will be as magical as last seasons deal.
2. Trevor Cahill, RHP OAK he could thrive in GABP with his 94 mph sinker and strikeout ability. Dont know what it would take to acquire him but he is just nasty.
3. Mike McKenry C COL he has major league ready defense and plus power. While he only played High A ball he could be ready by mid season.

dougdirt
12-20-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree 100% with this statement but just to play along:

1. Elvis Andrus, they have Michael Young in front and Marcus Lemon not too far behind, Maybe Texas will buy that if we throw in Herrera it will be as magical as last seasons deal.
2. Trevor Cahill, RHP OAK he could thrive in GABP with his 94 mph sinker and strikeout ability. Dont know what it would take to acquire him but he is just nasty.
3. Mike McKenry C COL he has major league ready defense and plus power. While he only played High A ball he could be ready by mid season.

I think the first two guys are off limits. The Rangers love Andrus and the price would be outrageous even if he were available. I still contend he is the most overrated prospect in baseball. Cahill is a stud and could lay claim to being the 2nd best pitching prospect in the minors behind only David Price. I don't think he is moving anywhere anytime soon.

BoydsOfSummer
12-20-2008, 01:16 PM
All resources should be used to get one and only one prospect. Matt Wieters.

dougdirt
12-20-2008, 01:55 PM
All resources should be used to get one and only one prospect. Matt Wieters.

Edinson Volquez and Johnny Cueto might get that deal done. I don't think either side sees that as a realistic deal though.

redsfandan
12-20-2008, 02:04 PM

This sounds like a debate that dougdirt and I had a couple months back. The difference being back then we were talking about the june draft. With the draft you're picking between players that may not be up for 3-5 years.

But in this thread alot of the names that have been thrown out are prospects that are already in the minors, would likely be up in less than 2 years, and that you'd have to trade for. So if you're going to trade for a prospect that could be expected to help you either this season or next wouldn't you prefer that he played a postion where you could use some help?

Tom Servo
12-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Former Rockies pitcher Mike Esposito. Sure he kinda sucks but I just found out his dad is Joe Esposito, who sang "You're the Best" from Karate Kid. I want that dude's kid in our organization.

dougdirt
12-24-2008, 02:19 AM
Former Rockies pitcher Mike Esposito. Sure he kinda sucks but I just found out his dad is Joe Esposito, who sang "You're the Best" from Karate Kid. I want that dude's kid in our organization.

I can get behind that!

stock
12-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Gemel (plays 3B in the minors but will be a LF and is blocked by Braun)
A Escobar (SS blocked by Hardy)
LuCroy (C one of 3 or four quality catchers in the Brewers system)

All should be obtainable because position congestion with the Brewers. All fit the Reds needs.

Trade Arroyo, Frazier (Mil needs a 3B) and Stubbs or Heisey.

Finally go out and sign Ben Sheets.

Slyder
12-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Gemel (plays 3B in the minors but will be a LF and is blocked by Braun)
A Escobar (SS blocked by Hardy)
LuCroy (C one of 3 or four quality catchers in the Brewers system)

All should be obtainable because position congestion with the Brewers. All fit the Reds needs.

Trade Arroyo, Frazier (Mil needs a 3B) and Stubbs or Heisey.

Finally go out and sign Ben Sheets.

LuCroy is questioned whether his bat will translate to the majors. Some have compared him to Jason Kendall. Doesnt have a lot of power (at least I didnt)but hit 20 HRs between Low and High A this year (about 470 abs).

Brewers will find or make a place for Escobar, he was one of the guys the Indians wanted and the Brewers said heck no. He's got a rocket for an arm. He's a bat that ought to translate well, some compared him to Rafael Furcal. Has ~2100 abs in the minors might need a bit more time. May start the year at AAA and give the Brewers time to shop Hardy. One of the rumors is the Brew Crew might try and get on the Peavy 3rd team train and offer up Hardy to the Braves to replace Escobar at SS. The Brewers like Escobar more from what I heard at WV Power Park in the few conversations I had with scouts and other Brewer Personel.

Gamel is viewed largely like LaPorta, you dont know where he's going to stick but his stick will carry him. If all it took was Arroyo, Stubbs, and Heisey I'd do it in a heartbeat but besides LuCroy I dont see the Brewers being too eager to trade Escobar or Gamel in the division.

flash
12-25-2008, 09:19 PM
I really like Jose Morales a catcher with the Twins organization, but I don't know if he would be availible. switch hitter

I also have liked John Jaso, a catcher with the Rays. left hand bat.

Either one I would have prefered to what we got in the Freel trade.

Will M
12-26-2008, 05:24 PM
I really like Jose Morales a catcher with the Twins organization, but I don't know if he would be availible. switch hitter

I also have liked John Jaso, a catcher with the Rays. left hand bat.

Either one I would have prefered to what we got in the Freel trade.

Freel had NEGATIVE trade value. The fact that we got a guy who has a chance to rebound in a contract year and be league average or better is pretty amazing.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Freel had NEGATIVE trade value. The fact that we got a guy who has a chance to rebound in a contract year and be league average or better is pretty amazing.

Couldn't have said it better myself, great post.

Bumstead
12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
How about:

1) Reid Brignac - I think he is available and a change of scenery would probably do him some good. Also an obvious need for the Reds.

2) Gorkys Hernandez - I just really like him. Super fast, young. Season was a little disappointing probably due mostly to an injury.

3) Taylor Teagarden/Max Ramirez - one of them should be available right? right? ;)

mth123
12-30-2008, 12:20 PM
How about:

1) Reid Brignac - I think he is available and a change of scenery would probably do him some good. Also an obvious need for the Reds.

2) Gorkys Hernandez - I just really like him. Super fast, young. Season was a little disappointing probably due mostly to an injury.

3) Taylor Teagarden/Max Ramirez - one of them should be available right? right? ;)

Love Brignac, don't need Hernandez, love Teagarden and Ramirez but I'm guessing off limits now that Laird is gone.

Not sure the Reds have anything Tampa Bay would want that wouldn't be a massive overpayment outside of possibly Jared Burton or Josh Roenicke. All the other good young players the Reds have are trumped by better young players in TB's system. I'd deal Roenicke for Brignac and throw in Valaika or Keppinger if they required that.

Bumstead
12-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Love Brignac, don't need Hernandez, love Teagarden and Ramirez but I'm guessing off limits now that Laird is gone.

Not sure the Reds have anything Tampa Bay would want that wouldn't be a massive overpayment outside of possibly Jared Burton or Josh Roenicke. All the other good young players the Reds have are trumped by better young players in TB's system. I'd deal Roenicke for Brignac and throw in Valaika or Keppinger if they required that.

I hope I did the quotes correctly...I agree with most of what you said. I think Tampa's asking price is coming down for Brignac so the Reds might be able to attain him for Roenicke/Valaika or something similar. As for Hernandez, to say we don't need him you have to be assuming Stubbs will pan out; I am hoping Stubbs pans out and Stubbs is certainly closer to the majors in theory; if he didn't pan out, the Reds certainly could use a player with Gorkys skill-set. But, again, he is just a favorite of mine, not necessarily someone the Reds would think about targeting. Wade Davis (TB, P) may have been a better #3 but then again, he may be off-limits; he would certainly require better players in return than Brignac IMO.

Bumstead

mth123
12-30-2008, 01:49 PM
I hope I did the quotes correctly...I agree with most of what you said. I think Tampa's asking price is coming down for Brignac so the Reds might be able to attain him for Roenicke/Valaika or something similar. As for Hernandez, to say we don't need him you have to be assuming Stubbs will pan out; I am hoping Stubbs pans out and Stubbs is certainly closer to the majors in theory; if he didn't pan out, the Reds certainly could use a player with Gorkys skill-set. But, again, he is just a favorite of mine, not necessarily someone the Reds would think about targeting. Wade Davis (TB, P) may have been a better #3 but then again, he may be off-limits; he would certainly require better players in return than Brignac IMO.

Bumstead

Solid post. You should post more.

I like Dickerson, Stubbs and Heisey better than Gorkys. He seems like another of those all speed no slug guys who need better on base skills that just aren't my cup of tea. His walk percentage improved a lot in '08, so there is some hope for him as a lead-off type.

Orenda
04-25-2009, 04:31 AM
Figured I bring this back up since the season is underway.
Michael Taylor of the Phillies is really intriguing. 6'6 great power potential, good numbers, decent athlete.

JaxRed
04-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Still love to see us grab Matt Gamel as a LF.

lollipopcurve
04-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Still love to see us grab Matt Gamel as a LF.

Definitely. But he's their Fielder insurance -- he's going nowhere.

BoydsOfSummer
04-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Kyle Waldrop of the Twins. He's got an 80% ground ball rate. :)