PDA

View Full Version : Grant Belfour

Jim Fazio
10-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Wasn't he in Reds farm system. How could they let him get away?

ChatterRed
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Isn't it Balfour?

Yeah, I think he had arm surgery around the time the Reds acquired him and he was rehabbing it. He probably wasn't full strength, and they let him get away. Not really sure what the complete story was though.

Orenda
10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Dan O'Brien signed him to a deal that essentially payed him to rehab after the twins let him go. He never pitched for the reds in the year he was here when the new GM and one time assistant gm in Minnesota Wayne Krivsky released him. He then went to Milwaukee which just happened to be the organization that O'brien was now working for. Milwaukee ended up swapping one power arm in Balfour for Tampa's Seth McClung . I always liked his arm, the amazing thing was that he was DFA'd earlier in the year and ended up clearing waivers, which allowed the Rays to hold onto him.

redsfandan
10-06-2008, 10:12 PM
so we basically rehabbed him for another team. if i remember correctly i think he also pitched well for minnesota before we had him.

Nasty_Boy
10-07-2008, 10:28 AM
He was a guy that people were ticked about him taking up a roster spot. I remember people being mad that we signed another guy with arm problems.

Orenda
10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
He was a guy that people were ticked about him taking up a roster spot. I remember people being mad that we signed another guy with arm problems.

I was one of those people. The move made no sense unless O'Brien was planning on keeping Balfour around the next year. I don't usually see the benefit of paying someone to rehab with no guarantee he will actually play for you. Didn't Krivsky do the same thing with Eddie Guardado or was that different?

Nasty_Boy
10-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I guess the difference was Eddie actually pitched for the Reds.