PDA

View Full Version : Head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals: Best job in the NFL.

BuckeyeRedleg
10-07-2008, 09:29 AM
The head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals might be one of the best gigs in the NFL. Seriously.

Think about it. What's the average head-coaching life for an NFL head coach these days? 2-3 years? Well, if you're the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals you'll get that. Heck, unlike Al Davis, your owner will wait and not fire you until your contract is up and you will get ALL OF YOUR MONEY!

If you win, you're a genius, because you have won in spite of Mike Brown and his bass-ackwards organization. Luck your way into winning 10-11 games and they might name a street after you. You are the savior! 8-8 and you get an extension and the city thinks you're the next Lombardi!

If you lose, it's Mike Brown's fault and there was nothing you ever could have done to insure winning anyway.

If you lose bad, you still get your money and probably complete your time. Then the media comes to your defense saying how impossible it is for anyone to coach in that environment....blah...blah...blah and next thing you know you're one of the top candidates to move on to another organization in some capacity. There is no guilt by association to worry about.

So, in summary...

You get paid.

If you happen to win, you're a genius.

If you lose, it wasn't your fault anyway.

People feel sorry for you.

Move on to another gig.

Being head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals is a no-lose (except for on the field) situation.

Hoosier Red
10-07-2008, 11:11 AM
The head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals might be one of the best gigs in the NFL. Seriously.

Think about it. What's the average head-coaching life for an NFL head coach these days? 2-3 years? Well, if you're the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals you'll get that. Heck, unlike Al Davis, your owner will wait and not fire you until your contract is up and you will get ALL OF YOUR MONEY!

If you win, you're a genius, because you have won in spite of Mike Brown and his bass-ackwards organization. Luck your way into winning 10-11 games and they might name a street after you. You are the savior! 8-8 and you get an extension and the city thinks you're the next Lombardi!

If you lose, it's Mike Brown's fault and there was nothing you ever could have done to insure winning anyway.

If you lose bad, you still get your money and probably complete your time. Then the media comes to your defense saying how impossible it is for anyone to coach in that environment....blah...blah...blah and next thing you know you're one of the top candidates to move on to another organization in some capacity. There is no guilt by association to worry about.

So, in summary...

You get paid.

If you happen to win, you're a genius.

If you lose, it wasn't your fault anyway.

People feel sorry for you.

Move on to another gig.

Being head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals is a no-lose (except for on the field) situation.

Except no coach has moved on from being fired by the Bengals to another head coaching position.

At least since Wicky wacky.

I think that speaks more to the overall level of head coaching talent that has been carted in but still.

Redsfaithful
10-08-2008, 02:47 AM
Yeah spot on. I still can't believe Dave Shula was the Bengals head coach for four and a half years.

Mario-Rijo
10-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah spot on. I still can't believe Dave Shula was the Bengals head coach for four and a half years.

Good grief, I had put it out of my mind but still it's hard to believe it lasted that long. And could they have made any worse a decision, wow what a terribly dark time in Bengaldom.

SunDeck
10-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Absolutely, it's been a no-lose proposition for Marvin. The rest of the owners have to understand his situation under SOP. If he wins there he's a genius, but if he loses he's just fulfilling the legacy of the worst and most clueless owner in the game. If he isn't back next year, look for him to pop up as a DC next year and a head coach again shortly after that. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go right back into a head coach position.

camisadelgolf
10-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Marvin Lewis undoubtedly has flaws to his coaching. His clock management is some of the worst I've seen for a long time is one example. But the Bengals' losing of late has mostly come from a lack of talent, bad luck, or mistakes that almost any young player would make. These things aren't Lewis' fault. But two things I think he deserves a lot of credit for is that the reputation of the Bengals being a bunch of thugs is slowly residing and that the Bengals are playing with a lot of energy and effort.

It looks to me like this is conscious re-building year, and Marvin Lewis knew about it coming into the year. Brown probably told him something like, "Win if you can this year, but we need to make a lot of turnover if we want to go from a perennial 8-8 team to a perennial playoff contender."

Anyway, BuckeyeRedleg's premise is spot on. Mike Brown's just an idiot. He's like a less-liked version of Mr. Grinch.

Redsfaithful
10-10-2008, 09:43 PM
It looks to me like this is conscious re-building year, and Marvin Lewis knew about it coming into the year. Brown probably told him something like, "Win if you can this year, but we need to make a lot of turnover if we want to go from a perennial 8-8 team to a perennial playoff contender."

I have come around on this idea a lot the past couple of weeks. Could just be looking for something to be hopeful about (have to dull the pain somehow), but the cuts before the season combined with the schedule Marvin knew he was up against really lead you to think its a rebuilding year.

hebroncougar
10-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Somehow I don't think Mike Brown knows how to build a perennial playoff contender. I think it was something like.......let's get rid of older guys making money, but we are going to bring in Henry and Benson, because I can get them on cheap because they appear to fill a need and have a checkered past.