PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America's first 2009 mock draft

OnBaseMachine
10-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Baseball America revealed their first 2009 mock draft today and they have the Reds selecting RHP Aaron Crow with the eighth overall pick. They said the Reds considered him this past June but chose Yonder Alonso instead. They have Strasburg and Grant Green going one and two overall.

I would have no problem with Aaron Crow at #8. He's polished and would probably reach the majors within a couple years.

LoganBuck
10-09-2008, 01:54 PM
I am still worried about his arm. Those mechanics are bad.

lollipopcurve
10-09-2008, 02:07 PM
If Crow pitches well for Fort Worth before the draft, he'll go higher than #8, I think.

Bip Roberts
10-09-2008, 04:06 PM
How long is that independent leagues season? Id like to see how many innings those guys throw a year.

redsfandan
10-09-2008, 05:14 PM
noooooooo thanks. i'd take the top ss available. that's ALOT more of a need.

Mario-Rijo
10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Baseball America revealed their first 2009 mock draft today and they have the Reds selecting RHP Aaron Crow with the eighth overall pick. They said the Reds considered him this past June but chose Yonder Alonso instead. They have Strasburg and Grant Green going one and two overall.

I would have no problem with Aaron Crow at #8. He's polished and would probably reach the majors within a couple years.

I suppose he would be a better pick this coming draft than last. However he does still worry me also. Obviously we would all love for Grant Green to fall to us but that ain't happening. Based on their projections I would give Kendall Volz (RHP) out of Baylor a look see instead, and hope Tyler Matzek (HS LHP) or Donavan Tate (HS OF) falls to us.

Mario-Rijo
10-09-2008, 05:24 PM

I don't know who that might be. I know Ryan Jackson of Miami has the defensive pedigree but ain't much of a hitter, only batted .215 in the Cape Cod league in '07. That's not a real good sign for the bigs.

Mario-Rijo
10-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Here's a free top 10 for those who wanna start checking it out. Also a bit of a scouting report on each + video.

http://www.mlb-draft.com/Top-Prospects-2009.php

Mario-Rijo
10-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I suppose he would be a better pick this coming draft than last. However he does still worry me also. Obviously we would all love for Grant Green to fall to us but that ain't happening. Based on their projections I would give Kendall Volz (RHP) out of Baylor a look see instead, and hope Tyler Matzek (HS LHP) or Donavan Tate (HS OF) falls to us.

On 2nd thought I may have just found my favorite pick if he doesn't go to college, if we take him 9th overall I don't know how he couldn't go pro.

http://www.saberscouting.com/2009draftindex/

Austin Maddox - C

School & Hometown: Eagle’s View Academy; Jacksonville, FL
Specs: 6′4, 220, Bats R, Throws R
Skinny: Elite catching prospect showcases a plus-plus arm behind the plate and massive power with the stick belied by a durable frame and advanced hitting and receiving skills. Florida commit.

I’ve talked about Maddox a few times on the site, both in the 2009 draft preview on the podcast (near the end) and in a review of the Sarasota Classic. I’ve been able to see Maddox a handful of times during his junior season, including seeing his team win the state championship in Sarasota, and he brings his full toolbox to the yard every time out. I also have some video I’ll post soon.

Maddox’s stance (check the above picture for an idea) and swing are reminiscent of Mark McGwire due to his powerful, leveraged, yet compact right-handed stroke with serious bat speed. Maddox just squares balls up, hitting over .500 this year against top competition, and has flashed his plus-plus raw power in every game I’ve seen him play. The scouting community, who largely ignore juniors during the regular season, saw this power when Maddox hit multiple homers over 400 feet with wood bats in recent national showcases.

That being said, Maddox is the top position player on this list because of his defensive tools. He consistently uses his plus-plus howitzer to register pop times under 1.85 and has been under 1.80, while hitting 95 on the mound. He also has what I, and a few scouts I’ve talked to, feel is already big league average receiving and blocking skills. Maddox is also a hard worker that gets high marks for his makeup; he’s committed to Florida.

The only real question with Maddox is if his already extra-large frame will be able to stay agile enough to remain behind the plate. Some may knock his team’s schedule, as they are in the smallest classification (1A) in the state and play some cream puff teams, but intentionally schedule almost every other game against top competition, and Maddox is a showcase veteran that can hit with wood. A scout familiar with Maddox sums it up: “We have him as a top follow and I see a Mike Piazza package, except with a cannon behind the plate.”

More from SS on Maddox:

The other top 2009 draft prospect in Sarasota was catcher Austin Maddox from Jacksonville’s Eagle’s View Academy. Maddox had even more buzz entering the tournament, as the same scouting service had him as the 3rd best prep player in state and 8th in the country. Maddox oozes tools from behind the plate with a mature 6′3, 220 pound frame. He’s been up to 96 on the mound, consistently has pop times under 1.90 (2.00 is MLB average), is extremely athletic and active behind the plate, has near flawless technique and hands, and is a vocal leader and excellent teammate with great makeup. I haven’t even gotten to the bat, which is the most special part of this package. He has elite bat speed, a compact power stroke reminiscent of Mark McGwire, and has hit balls over 400 feet with wood all while batting over .500 facing one of the toughest schedules in the state of Florida. Now you can see why I’m not scared to say he may be the best prep catcher since Joe Mauer.

One team official said he’s an easy top 10 overall prospect for the 2009 draft right now and likened him to Mike Piazza with a plus-plus arm. So prospect watchers looking for the next great catching prospect to follow Matt Wieters appear to have their wish with California HS catcher Kyle Skipworth this year and Maddox next year.

Nasty_Boy
10-09-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not a big fan on drafting "need" in the 1st round. I think you select the best talent and let it play out. That's why I wasn't a big fan of the Mesoraco pick. The Reds may or may not have their SS of the future in the minors right now... who knows? So I would be more than fine with drafting Crow next season. Like OBM said, he's maybe a year to a year and a half away from the bigs. If he's not there, trust your scouts and take the best player available.

redsfandan
10-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't know who that might be. I know Ryan Jackson of Miami has the defensive pedigree but ain't much of a hitter, only batted .215 in the Cape Cod league in '07. That's not a real good sign for the bigs.

Ryan Jackson, Mychal Givens, Robbie Shields,....

my point is that i could live with it if we took a ss a few picks earlier than projected but we really need to start to address the question of what the future will be at shortstop. imo shortstops are just like pitchers in that you can never have too many because they tend to be the most athletic players so if they don't stick at short they could always be moved almost anywhere else: 2nd (brandon phillips), outfield (eric davis, reggie sanders)...

if you have a defensively challenged leftfielder where do you move him to? (besides arizona)

i know that all of the positions are important but we already have some possible future options for the leftfield, centerfield, etc. my biggest hope is that we acquire some ss prospects via the draft and/or trade so we don't have the same problem 5 years from now.

Mario-Rijo
10-09-2008, 06:26 PM

my point is that i could live with it if we took a ss a few picks earlier than projected but we really need to start to address the question of what the future will be at shortstop. imo shortstops are just like pitchers in that you can never have too many because they tend to be the most athletic players so if they don't stick at short they could always be moved almost anywhere else: 2nd (brandon phillips), outfield (eric davis, reggie sanders)...

if you have a defensively challenged leftfielder where do you move him to? (besides arizona)

i know that all of the positions are important but we already have some possible future options for the leftfield, centerfield, etc. my biggest hope is that we acquire some ss prospects via the draft and/or trade so we don't have the same problem 5 years from now.

I understand your point but none of those you listed merit being taken anywhere pick #9. Of the prep prospects maybe you pick up a guy lick David Nick in the Sandwich rd or 2nd-3rd (a poor man's JJ Hardy?). But I doubt any of those others even go in the 1st, at least they don't seem to warrant it.

Here's a possibility as a draft eligible sophomore. D.J. LeMahieu SS LSU seems to at least have the potential to be a complete SS and is ranked just behind Jackson but ahead of the others you listed by BA. His bat seems like it could be better than any of those guys and defense could be just as good based on a little forum reading I've been doing but those guys are homers. Anybody have any info on this kid?

This on LeMahieu:

LeMahieu, DJ
Position: SS/3B
Bats/Throws: R/R
Ht/Wt: 6′4/190
Born: 7/13/1988
School: LSU
Class of: 2011
Draft Eligible: 2009
Seen By BB: Yes

2008 Stats:
CCBL: 107 AB, .290/.358/.364, 1 HR, 3-5 SB-ATT
NCAA: 258 AB, .337/.386/.457, 6 HR, 10-11 SB-ATT

Summary:
Lemahieu, a draft eligible sophomore for the 2009 draft, was heavily recruited coming out of Michigan as a 2 time Gatorade Player of the Year. He plays solid defense at short, but a move to third is likely at some point due to his size. His arm plays anywhere on the field. He has a solid approach at the plate and will go the ther way. There is potential for more power to develop.

Honors/Achievements:
2008 Ranked the #6 Prospect in the CCBL by Baseball America
2008 All-Louisiana College Baseball Freshman of the Year

This irks me when they say a guy has to move because of his size? Can he play the spot or not? And if so then why pigeon hole him based strictly on his size. From what I gathered he has what's necc. to play the position including range. But LSU should be on quite often so he should be one of note to keep an eye out for.

redsfandan
10-09-2008, 06:41 PM
i also don't think they should reach for players. it's just that imo shortstop should be one of the positions that they concentrate on whether it's through the draft or trades. that's all.

Grande Donkey
10-09-2008, 06:52 PM

Where did Kentrail Davis go in the mock draft?

Mario-Rijo
10-09-2008, 06:54 PM

They only had top 10 and he wasn't in it.

OnBaseMachine
10-09-2008, 06:55 PM

They only did the top 10 and Davis wasn't in it.

Grande Donkey
10-09-2008, 06:55 PM
http://draftinfo.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/2009-mlb-mock-draft-10/

A mock draft from draftinfo.com. They have the Reds going...

8. Cincinnati Reds- Ryan Jackson, SS, Miami

Grande Donkey
10-09-2008, 06:56 PM
They only had top 10 and he wasn't in it.

They only did the top 10 and Davis wasn't in it.
Thanks for the info guys.

New Fever
10-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I understand your point but none of those you listed merit being taken anywhere pick #9. Of the prep prospects maybe you pick up a guy lick David Nick in the Sandwich rd or 2nd-3rd (a poor man's JJ Hardy?). But I doubt any of those others even go in the 1st, at least they don't seem to warrant it.

Here's a possibility as a draft eligible sophomore. D.J. LeMahieu SS LSU seems to at least have the potential to be a complete SS and is ranked just behind Jackson but ahead of the others you listed by BA. His bat seems like it could be better than any of those guys and defense could be just as good based on a little forum reading I've been doing but those guys are homers. Anybody have any info on this kid?

Mychal Givens may be in the (8-12) range next year. Jim Callis said in his chat yesterday that Givens has better tools than Tim Beckham at the same stage of their careers, but Givens is much more raw.

Scrap Irony
10-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Austin Maddox sounds almost too good to be true. I'll keep an eye on him all year.

redsfandan
10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
hmmm 7 of the 1st 10 players they have projected are pitchers. is this supposed to be a deep class for pitchers? maybe a pitcher 1st and a ss 2nd.
it should be interesting to see how the rankings change in the next 6+ months.

Mario-Rijo
10-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Mychal Givens may be in the (8-12) range next year. Jim Callis said in his chat yesterday that Givens has better tools than Tim Beckham at the same stage of their careers, but Givens is much more raw.

Right but his bat is extremely raw. I'd put him in that area of the HS kid that the Phillies took last year in the 1st, his name escapes me. And if it weren't for the Phils selecting there he may have dropped into the sandwich rd.

Mario-Rijo
10-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Austin Maddox sounds almost too good to be true. I'll keep an eye on him all year.

Exactly what I thought could end up being the best player in the draft. He's my guy for sure if he makes it that far. I'd also look at SS in the Sandwich if we get any comp picks (Affeldt?) for that SS out of LSU or pitching if he's gone.

Mario-Rijo
10-09-2008, 08:34 PM
http://draftinfo.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/2009-mlb-mock-draft-10/

A mock draft from draftinfo.com. They have the Reds going...

8. Cincinnati Reds- Ryan Jackson, SS, Miami

Not a real good selection from where I sit. I forgot about Scheppers and Cole going back in, along with possibly Josh Fields if that signing doesn't materialize w/ Seattle.

As it sits now I would go in this order Top 15 (if all were available):

Stephen Strasburg RHSP (Although I'd be a 'lil tempted to take Green 1st)
Grant Green SS
Austin Maddox C (HS)
Tyler Matzek LHSP (HS)
Alex White RHSP
Donavan Tate OF (HS)
Matt Purke LHSP (HS)
Aaron Crow RHSP
Dustin Ackley OF
Kentrail Davis OF
Joshua Fields RHRP
Kendall Volz RHSP
Tanner Sheppers RHSP
Kyle Gibson RHSP
Bobby Borchering 1B/3B

Honorable Mention to LSU SS D.J. LeMahieu who intrigues me greatly.

redsfandan
10-09-2008, 08:45 PM
i would just be ecstatic if we took a shortstop, catcher, and a pitcher with our first 3picks. (not necessarily in that order)

RED VAN HOT
10-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm not a big fan on drafting "need" in the 1st round. I think you select the best talent and let it play out. That's why I wasn't a big fan of the Mesoraco pick. The Reds may or may not have their SS of the future in the minors right now... who knows? So I would be more than fine with drafting Crow next season. Like OBM said, he's maybe a year to a year and a half away from the bigs. If he's not there, trust your scouts and take the best player available.

I agree. Small market teams in particular need to cash in the first pick on someone with a high probability of making the major leagues in a short time, regardless of need. The subsequent rounds can be used on high upside players that require multiple years of development.

Grande Donkey
10-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Kentrail Davis tore it up in Tennessee's annual Orange and White game last weekend. 3-3 with 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 walks, and a triple.

fearofpopvol1
10-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Crow sounds good to me. He will be polished, he does have good stuff and unlike last draft, he can't go back to school so I think he would be a very sound choice.

corkedbat
10-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Kentrail Davis tore it up in Tennessee's annual Orange and White game last weekend. 3-3 with 1 R, 1 RBI, and a triple.
-

I'd be fine with Davis in the first round. Give me the BPA everytime - especially in the earley rounds.

The only time I would even condsider bringing need into it would be if it came down to two players that I really liked, the difference in talent was really small and I projected the player io need to be within 1 - 11/2 years of the majors. If he's gonna be 2-4 years away, then hopefully you'll have solved the problem by other means before he gets to the show.

If it comes to my pick ten times and ten OFs are clearly the best picks then I take 10 consecutive OFS(or pitchers or catchers or SS's, etc.). There are always holdovers from Billings or the GCL or Latin America to fill out the rookie league teams. Draft the right talent enought times and you can trade to fill holes.

I think taking players who were less than the "Best Available" by past FOs (for various reason) was the cause of the farm system's stagnation and the reversal of that trend the last few drafts is why it has appeared to turn it around recently.

redsfandan
10-09-2008, 11:46 PM
to clarify: if it's my turn to pick and the players i had ranked the highest were a pitcher, middle infielder(c, 2nd, ss, 3b), a 1st baseman or an outfielder and i had them all ranked pretty evenly most of the time i'd take the pitcher or middle infielder.

btw, imo the most important thing small market teams need to do to be successful is not hand out bad contacts (jr for nine years) or go after players who will cost too much (manny) and concentrate on the farm system instead.

bubbachunk
10-10-2008, 12:27 AM

Almost every guys is at least 2 years away so you dont pick for need but best overall player. When you start drafting for need you pigeon hole yourself and get less talent

redsfandan
10-10-2008, 12:49 AM
i'll politely disagree with that. for me the only consideration is how closely the players are ranked. if they're ranked pretty evenly it's not a problem but you don't reach down and take a player that shouldn't be taken for another 10+ picks. plus, as i mentioned before, with some positions there's more flexibility in what you can do.
edit: i'm not sure this has to do with "needs" as much as an organizational philosophy on how to approach the draft.

bubbachunk
10-10-2008, 12:55 AM
i'll politely disagree with that. for me the only consideration is how closely the players are ranked. if they're ranked pretty evenly it's not a problem but you don't reach down and take a player that shouldn't be taken for another 10+ picks. plus, as i mentioned before, with some positions there's more flexibility in what you can do.
edit: i'm not sure this has to do with "needs" as much as an organizational philosophy on how to approach the draft.

Sure if you have players ranked 1a and 1b but you still do not know how any of these kids will progress or pan out especially if they are of the high school variety.

I have never seen baseball drafts as need based because very rare is impact immediate. Other then Ryan Wagner I can't think of a Red's draftee giving anything to the major league club within even 2 years of being drafted.

redsfandan
10-10-2008, 01:01 AM
well personally i'd also prefer college playes for the first few picks since they are usually a little safer and closer to being able to possibly help the mlb team.
from what i've read alonso may be able to help within 2 years. i know it's not common but it does happen.

dougdirt
10-10-2008, 01:24 AM
well personally i'd also prefer college playes for the first few picks since they are usually a little safer and closer to being able to possibly help the mlb team.
from what i've read alonso may be able to help within 2 years. i know it's not common but it does happen.

College picks are no safer than high school picks (for the first few rounds). This isn't 1990 anymore. College pitchers are a tad safer than high school pitchers (first few rounds), but position player wise, there isn't a difference other than the time they may get there.

redsfandan
10-10-2008, 01:51 AM
-
If it comes to my pick ten times and ten OFs are clearly the best picks then I take 10 consecutive OFS(or pitchers or catchers or SS's, etc.). There are always holdovers from Billings or the GCL or Latin America to fill out the rookie league teams. Draft the right talent enought times and you can trade to fill holes.

btw, just for the heck of it, if all of your top prospects are outfielders cuz you made all of your top picks outfielders wouldn't that limit what can happen in trade talks if even just a little bit?
if an outfielder is so much ahead of anyone else when it's your turn to pick fine take him. but with the exception of one post that people have taken a little too literally i've said repeatedly that if the players are pretty evenly ranked i'd take a middle infielder or pitcher. that's all.

Originally Posted by dougdirt
College picks are no safer than high school picks (for the first few rounds). This isn't 1990 anymore. College pitchers are a tad safer than high school pitchers (first few rounds), but position player wise, there isn't a difference other than the time they may get there.

Originally Posted by redsfandan

i'm a little confused doug, are you saying that you agree with me?

dougdirt
10-10-2008, 02:03 AM

Not agreeing with you at all. College position players and high school position players have the same success rates when taken in the first 5 rounds. The only difference is in the pitching category and college pitchers rate out at a very marginal 'safer' category.

redsfandan
10-10-2008, 02:20 AM
ummm ok i still fail to see a major difference between what i said and what you said. but anyway....

edit: i apologize for how this thread has evolved into a philosophy discussion.

Topcat
10-10-2008, 03:28 AM

Never ever Draft need you draft talent, need areas can be acquired.

Mario-Rijo
10-10-2008, 08:32 AM
ummm ok i still fail to see a major difference between what i said and what you said. but anyway....

edit: i apologize for how this thread has evolved into a philosophy discussion.

Just for clarification I agree with the premise of taking a tougher position of need if everything else is equal. That said you were advocating taking guys who were mostly not quite equivalent IMO. Talent wise a guy like Givens may be equal or better than most available with our pick but there is something to be said for a guy who is as skilled as he is talented. If player A is slightly less talented than player B but far more skilled, I'll be taking player A most of the time. I've seen it way too many times over the years in all sports, that a guy gets skipped over even just a handful of times because his ceiling isn't as high as another guys, just to become a far better pro. Paul Pierce for the Celtics comes to mind.

I understand the philosophy of trying to strike gold in the 1st round but sometimes that gold is disguised in a nice silver wrapper.

edabbs44
10-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Almost every guys is at least 2 years away so you dont pick for need but best overall player. When you start drafting for need you pigeon hole yourself and get less talent

But you can target a position where you have an organizational weakness.

People who say "don't draft for need" assume "drafting for need" equates to drafting a player who is significantly worse than the BPA. Often the top round is a crapshoot and many players are lumped together in terms of projection. If you have depth in the OF throughout the majors and minors and zero top shelf pitching throughout the organization, you obviously take the SP over the OF unless the OF is a once per decade type talent.

RedlegJake
10-10-2008, 11:40 AM
What edabbs said.

After the first few players most players end up so close in groups of several players that it's almost impossible to rank them 1,2,3 etc. If need means that you look at very closely rated groups and look closest at the needs - SS, pitching, catching etc within that group to make your selection I have no problem with that. Dropping down from that group into the next tier just to go for a position is bad medicine but picking within a level is ok. Say players 75-85 in rankings - not even the best scouts on earth can tell them apart with any accurate prediction of who'll make it. If scouts feel one player left on the board is clearly better than anyone else then you ignore need and pick that guy. I also like the way the Reds went after HS picks that dropped because they were thought to be sure and go on to college then offered them over slot money to induce them to sign. They picked a couple plums that way this year in slots that ordinarily are filler. At the very least they improved the odds of a player in that low of a spot making it.

Nasty_Boy
10-10-2008, 12:13 PM
not hand out bad contacts (jr for nine years)

I don't believe for a second that JR's contract was a bad one. We acquired the best player in the game in his prime, and there was no reason to think that Jr wouldn't be making a run at Hank in a Reds uniform at the end of the contract.

corkedbat
10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
btw, just for the heck of it, if all of your top prospects are outfielders cuz you made all of your top picks outfielders wouldn't that limit what can happen in trade talks if even just a little bit?
if an outfielder is so much ahead of anyone else when it's your turn to pick fine take him. but with the exception of one post that people have taken a little too literally i've said repeatedly that if the players are pretty evenly ranked i'd take a middle infielder or pitcher. that's all.

Mine of course was an exttreme example. The chances very slim that 10 times out of 10 the clearcut BPA will be an OF (or even a pitcher) and if the difference is very slim I would go with the harder to find talent like a SS or catcher, but my point remains, clearly superior talent should always drive the decision.

The lead time for 95% of prospects is such that you would hope any holes on the major league roster will at least be passably filled by the time they get there.

bubbachunk
10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
But you can target a position where you have an organizational weakness.

People who say "don't draft for need" assume "drafting for need" equates to drafting a player who is significantly worse than the BPA. Often the top round is a crapshoot and many players are lumped together in terms of projection. If you have depth in the OF throughout the majors and minors and zero top shelf pitching throughout the organization, you obviously take the SP over the OF unless the OF is a once per decade type talent.

Yes I agree when you have players of nearly identical talent and such to target a need would not be so bad but still players you draft are far enough off you never know what may happen.

redsfandan
10-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Just for clarification I agree with the premise of taking a tougher position of need if everything else is equal. That said you were advocating taking guys who were mostly not quite equivalent IMO. Talent wise a guy like Givens may be equal or better than most available with our pick but there is something to be said for a guy who is as skilled as he is talented. If player A is slightly less talented than player B but far more skilled, I'll be taking player A most of the time. I've seen it way too many times over the years in all sports, that a guy gets skipped over even just a handful of times because his ceiling isn't as high as another guys, just to become a far better pro. Paul Pierce for the Celtics comes to mind.
I understand the philosophy of trying to strike gold in the 1st round but sometimes that gold is disguised in a nice silver wrapper.

i was? i said repeatedly "when the players are pretty evenly ranked". i don't know how i can make that more clear. IF one of those shortstops was availabe at the 8th pick and he is widely ranked in the top 10 in june than i'd take him.
i agree that it makes more sense to take early picks that are safer.

Nasty_Boy:
I don't believe for a second that JR's contract was a bad one. We acquired the best player in the game in his prime, and there was no reason to think that Jr wouldn't be making a run at Hank in a Reds uniform at the end of the contract.

i don't contest that there's no way to know what would happen or that jr was arguably the top player in the game. but imo big contracts and long contracts are risky contracts. (higher risk/higher reward) if the player doesn't have any major injuries you win. but if he does have significant injury(ies) it makes it harder to win and acquire players to help you win when a big chunk of your budget is on the DL.

Mario-Rijo
10-10-2008, 09:29 PM
i was? i said repeatedly "when the players are pretty evenly ranked". i don't know how i can make that more clear. IF one of those shortstops was availabe at the 8th pick and he is widely ranked in the top 10 in june than i'd take him.
i agree that it makes more sense to take early picks that are safer.

Now it's just my opinion, but those guys don't warrant top 10 consideration. Jackson can't hit, Givens can't hit (as of yet) and Shields is quite possibly a 2B. Now they may rank them near the top 10 but I really don't know how they can justify it. But I am basing my opinion on what little I know and making a snap decision but I think there is enough info to question how any of these guys will ever be top 10 worthy.

Bottom line I am not saying you're wrong but I am not yet willing to concede that these guys are worthy of consideration because they aren't equal players IMO.

redsfandan
10-11-2008, 08:50 AM
true those three may not be top 10 worthy 8 months from now. rankings can change alot in that amount of time but if it doesn't work out that we take a ss in the 1st round hopefully it will work out for our 2nd or 3rd pick. just my preference.