PDA

View Full Version : Potential breakout arm you would like the Reds to acquire?

OnBaseMachine
10-09-2008, 11:45 PM
In the last two offseasons the Reds have acquired a couple of arms with good stuff who had yet to breakout in Jared Burton and Edinson Volquez. I've always been a fan of targeting struggling young arms with upside. In the past I've pushed for guys like Ervin Santana and Gavin Floyd. This year I'm pushing for Radhames Liz of the Orioles. Liz is 25 years old, throws is the mid-90's and has a good curveball and changeup. In the minors he posted a 3.39 ERA and 219 BB/532 K ratio in 451.2 innings. However, due to command problems his minor league numbers haven't translated to the majors. With a 6.77 ERA in 109 major league innings, the Orioles may look to trade him this offseason. If I were Walt Jocketty I would jump on the phone and offer a package of Juan Francisco, Matt Maloney, and a C prospect for Liz and see if the Orioles bite. He may never pan out but it's well worth the risk IMO.

Who would you be targeting for a potential breakout season?

*BaseClogger*
10-10-2008, 09:43 AM
If they could be had for cheap, I like the young arm of Jack Egbert of the White Sox, and the post-hype Brandon McCarthy of the Rangers...

WebScorpion
10-10-2008, 11:37 AM
I wonder if Cleveland might not want to get something for Adam Miller before another body part falls off? Personally, I think the surgery on his finger will solve tons of problems for him...if he pitches in the AFL we'll see I guess.

That Bailey kid in Cincy looks primed for a breakout season. :thumbup:

Lefty Scott Elbert of the Dodgers?

...and speaking of Lefties, if the Rays decide they have pitching talent to spare, I'd target David Price. I guess it wouldn't really be a 'breakout' since he's had continued success throughout his career, but that young tall lefty would really complete our staff. :eek:

I'm sure there are quite a few more, but these are the type of guys I'd target...young guys with big upsides who can stick around a while. Truthfully, I think Bailey has as much chance of breaking out as anyone, so I'd be kinda scared about trading him for anyone unless it was a lefty with the same, or better, chance to be great, like Elbert or Price. I know, I'm dreaming on the Price thing, but hey, I'd at least ask them.

Mario-Rijo
10-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Josh Johnson is my #1 candidate but I expect the Marlins (as well as everyone else) know what they have in him. Phillip Hughes seems like a good target, the luster has seemingly worn off.

bucksfan2
10-10-2008, 01:29 PM
In the last two offseasons the Reds have acquired a couple of arms with good stuff who had yet to breakout in Jared Burton and Edinson Volquez. I've always been a fan of targeting struggling young arms with upside. In the past I've pushed for guys like Ervin Santana and Gavin Floyd. This year I'm pushing for Radhames Liz of the Orioles. Liz is 25 years old, throws is the mid-90's and has a good curveball and changeup. In the minors he posted a 3.39 ERA and 219 BB/532 K ratio in 451.2 innings. However, due to command problems his minor league numbers haven't translated to the majors. With a 6.77 ERA in 109 major league innings, the Orioles may look to trade him this offseason. If I were Walt Jocketty I would jump on the phone and offer a package of Juan Francisco, Matt Maloney, and a C prospect for Liz and see if the Orioles bite. He may never pan out but it's well worth the risk IMO.

Who would you be targeting for a potential breakout season?

Im not doubting the worth of a guy like Radhamez, however look at last year's trade. The Reds traded Josh Hamilton for Volquez! Were not talking about a package of prospects, were not talking about an expensive veteran we are talking about a guy who is likely to get MVP votes for this season. Volquez, who most people had never heard of, let alone seen pitch was a great acquisition but at a great cost.

Pitching prospects are going for a kings ransom in the off season. Look at what was demanded for Joe Blanton this off season. Any pitching prospect, coming off a good or bad season, is going to demand quit a bit in return. I think it is a good idea to attempt to buy a pitching prospect low in theory, but in reality I don't think it is possible.

Will M
10-10-2008, 02:28 PM
the Reds have a ton of pitchers on the brink of the big leagues - Bailey, Thompson, Maloney, Ownings, etc. we don't need to be acquiring more prospects or question marks. we need to sort out what we have.

we need a SS first and foremost

Highlifeman21
10-10-2008, 04:26 PM
All I know about Liz is that he throws 97+ in MLB the Show, and I can't lay off his slider down and away.

Aside from that, I know nothing of him.

Highlifeman21
10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I wonder if Cleveland might not want to get something for Adam Miller before another body part falls off? Personally, I think the surgery on his finger will solve tons of problems for him...if he pitches in the AFL we'll see I guess.

That Bailey kid in Cincy looks primed for a breakout season. :thumbup:

Lefty Scott Elbert of the Dodgers?

...and speaking of Lefties, if the Rays decide they have pitching talent to spare, I'd target David Price. I guess it wouldn't really be a 'breakout' since he's had continued success throughout his career, but that young tall lefty would really complete our staff. :eek:

I'm sure there are quite a few more, but these are the type of guys I'd target...young guys with big upsides who can stick around a while. Truthfully, I think Bailey has as much chance of breaking out as anyone, so I'd be kinda scared about trading him for anyone unless it was a lefty with the same, or better, chance to be great, like Elbert or Price. I know, I'm dreaming on the Price thing, but hey, I'd at least ask them.

I don't think we'd be able to afford David Price on the Rays.

I'd be shocked if he isn't in their rotation Opening Day 2009.

That being said, I'd find out who currently in their rotation will be replaced by Price, and go after that arm.

OnBaseMachine
10-10-2008, 05:05 PM
I don't think we'd be able to afford David Price on the Rays.

I'd be shocked if he isn't in their rotation Opening Day 2009.

That being said, I'd find out who currently in their rotation will be replaced by Price, and go after that arm.

The Rays 2009 rotation will probably consist of Scott Kazmir, James Shields, David Price, Matt Garza, and either Andy Sonnanstine or Wade Davis. That leaves Edwin Jackson out in the cold. The Rays may decide to move him to the bullpen or trade him.

AmarilloRed
10-10-2008, 05:38 PM
the Reds have a ton of pitchers on the brink of the big leagues - Bailey, Thompson, Maloney, Ownings, etc. we don't need to be acquiring more prospects or question marks. we need to sort out what we have.

My view as well. The Reds have plenty of starting pitchers with upside; we need to decide who can help us the most and keep them, and trade the surplus to help improve the offense.

princeton
10-10-2008, 05:41 PM
I know, I'm dreaming on the Price thing, but hey, I'd at least ask them.

it's like when you were good friends with that gorgeous girl in college and you could tell that she was absolutely not interested, but you just had to ask once and you're thinking, don't laugh. please do not laugh

princeton
10-10-2008, 05:42 PM
the post-hype Brandon McCarthy of the Rangers...

we're all in our post-hype years.

Highlifeman21
10-10-2008, 07:37 PM
The Rays 2009 rotation will probably consist of Scott Kazmir, James Shields, David Price, Matt Garza, and either Andy Sonnanstine or Wade Davis. That leaves Edwin Jackson out in the cold. The Rays may decide to move him to the bullpen or trade him.

If he's available via trade, I hope Jocketty's puttin' a call to TB.

mth123
10-11-2008, 03:46 AM
I like some names I've heard here. Liz, Jackson, Elbert. I lke Jackson the best.

Probably not much help in 2009, but I wouldn't mind the Reds acquiring Sergio Mitre and let him spend the first half stashed and rehabbing from his TJ Surgery with a late season addition to the roster. In 2010 he should be as good as new, which is solid mid-rotation starter.

Krusty
10-11-2008, 04:33 AM
Potential breakout acquisition? I think we have him in the name of Homer Bailey.

If last season was a soul searching experience, then nothing will be. You don't have an arm like his only to see everything fall apart when he isn't hurt. If he straightens out his mechanics and realizes he needs to earn a spot and not be given one because he was a number one pick, then he might be breakout player in 2009.

cincyinco
10-11-2008, 04:47 AM
One Mr. Matthew Cain in san Fran.. He is that good already and I can still envision a breakout. I don't care if he is a fly ball pitcher..

Krusty
10-11-2008, 05:25 AM
One Mr. Matthew Cain in san Fran.. He is that good already and I can still envision a breakout. I don't care if he is a fly ball pitcher..

Speaking of Matt Cain, I read in the Denver paper that there has been talk of a possible Matt Holliday for Matt Cain & prospect deal. Interesting.

cincyinco
10-11-2008, 05:38 AM
Now why on earth would anyone outside of Colorado read the Denver paper? Heh. Seriously though, I think that would be a great trade for the rox. They can groom another Matt holliday, I have no doubt about it. They haven't had the same luck with pitchers, though they do have a few good young guns on the horizon.

Krusty
10-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Now why on earth would anyone outside of Colorado read the Denver paper? Heh. Seriously though, I think that would be a great trade for the rox. They can groom another Matt holliday, I have no doubt about it. They haven't had the same luck with pitchers, though they do have a few good young guns on the horizon.

And the Giants have been looking for a bat to replace Bonds and play LF. And they do have the payroll to offer Holliday a huge contract extension.

Highlifeman21
10-11-2008, 07:53 AM
The Giants need way more than Holliday.

Granted, they need more offense by the truckloads and he'd be a step in the right direction, but he won't make that much difference by himself in the Bay Area.

..... especially if the Giants are giving up Matt Cain to get him.

RedlegJake
10-11-2008, 11:49 AM
The old adage about never having enough pitching might be altered slightly to read "you never have enough pitching prospects". If the Reds can acquire one or two more prospects without paying a king's ransom, or as part of a package deal for a hitter then sure. Right now, though, it isn't a primary necessity, so any deals would be of the opportunity knocks variety - if a team is tired of a young guy's struggles and would deal him at a bargain price - sure.

Benihana
10-11-2008, 04:31 PM
The old adage about never having enough pitching might be altered slightly to read "you never have enough pitching prospects". If the Reds can acquire one or two more prospects without paying a king's ransom, or as part of a package deal for a hitter then sure. Right now, though, it isn't a primary necessity, so any deals would be of the opportunity knocks variety - if a team is tired of a young guy's struggles and would deal him at a bargain price - sure.

Agreed. Right now I'd be focusing on a SS, an OF, and maybe even a Catcher. If you can steal a pitcher or two along the way, all the better.

WebScorpion
10-13-2008, 05:34 PM
it's like when you were good friends with that gorgeous girl in college and you could tell that she was absolutely not interested, but you just had to ask once and you're thinking, don't laugh. please do not laugh
EXACTLY!! The coolest part of that analogy is that girl is now my wife. :p:

hippie07
10-13-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree w/ a previous poster that said Bailey looks alot like this years Volquez... I think we Reds fans are WAY under valuing Bailey because of the high expectations we had for him and his persistent failure to live up to them. (The same kinda deal as Volquez last year).

I'd like to see the Reds make a reverse Volquez/Hamilton trade this offseason. Trade away a live arm w/ tremendous upside for a rising star outfield bat (preferably RH bat).. Question is ... who would you target? Maybe look to Texas again for Nelson Cruz.. or even Salty or Teagarden.

Bailey + B prospect for Cruz actually looks alot like the Volquez/Hamilton deal, doesn't it?

Will M
10-13-2008, 10:49 PM
I agree w/ a previous poster that said Bailey looks alot like this years Volquez... I think we Reds fans are WAY under valuing Bailey because of the high expectations we had for him and his persistent failure to live up to them. (The same kinda deal as Volquez last year).

I'd like to see the Reds make a reverse Volquez/Hamilton trade this offseason. Trade away a live arm w/ tremendous upside for a rising star outfield bat (preferably RH bat).. Question is ... who would you target? Maybe look to Texas again for Nelson Cruz.. or even Salty or Teagarden.

Bailey + B prospect for Cruz actually looks alot like the Volquez/Hamilton deal, doesn't it?

Cruz? isn't the guy 28 years old.

Bailey for a SS? yes.
Bailey for an OF? no.

jojo
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
This isn't a sexy TOR arm in hiding, but he's a lefty who took a step forward this year in AAA (his translations suggested he was the equivalent of a league average major league starter) and he'd probably be obtainable for a reasonable cost. His name-James Happ.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 11:36 PM
This isn't a sexy TOR arm in hiding, but he's a lefty who took a step forward this year in AAA (his translations suggested he was the equivalent of a league average major league starter) and he'd probably be obtainable for a reasonable cost. His name-James Happ.

I'm a J.A. Happ fan. In fact, when the Phillies were interested in Arroyo I was hoping Happ would be in the deal.

Highlifeman21
10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm a J.A. Happ fan. In fact, when the Phillies were interested in Arroyo I was hoping Happ would be in the deal.

That makes two of us.

AmarilloRed
10-15-2008, 01:54 PM
If he's available via trade, I hope Jocketty's puttin' a call to TB.

During the playoff telecast last night, one of the announcers mentioned that the Rays would have nine major league starting pitchers next year. I expect a lot of GMs will be talking to Tampa in the off season.

WrongVerb
10-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I really like Scott Olsen of the Mariners. He's got a few years big league experience and has improved on his numbers each season. I really think this year is going to be his breakout year.

OnBaseMachine
10-15-2008, 02:26 PM
I really like Scott Olsen of the Mariners. He's got a few years big league experience and has improved on his numbers each season. I really think this year is going to be his breakout year.

I love the idea of acquiring Scott Olsen. He gives up his fair share of home runs but that should improve if he can continue tightening up his command. The Marlins are reportedly willing to trade him too. I'm still a big fan of Homer Bailey but I would be willing to part with him plus another prospect for Olsen. I love the thought of adding a quality lefty to the mix.

Edinson Volquez
Aaron Harang
Scott Olsen
Johnny Cueto
Bronson Arroyo

That's a strong rotation IMO, plus we would have Micah Owings and Ramon Ramirez as depth.

flyer85
10-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Guzman of the Cubs, Mitre of the Marlins.

jojo
10-15-2008, 03:18 PM

IMHO, the Reds already have a log jam of guys who might give them what he could bring to the table-backendedness (excluding his leftiness).

Also his K rates have declined each of the last three seasons while his FB% has increased over that span.

Highlifeman21
10-15-2008, 05:43 PM
During the playoff telecast last night, one of the announcers mentioned that the Rays would have nine major league starting pitchers next year. I expect a lot of GMs will be talking to Tampa in the off season.

I heard that as well.

Almost made me wanna start a TB shopping list.

Except of course I have a feeling that TB would want players that are as good as what they currently have, or better, and Brandon Phillips is the only player off the top of my head we could send them.

Anyone that might be as good or better than what they currently have who plays for the Reds, we probably can't afford to trade.

Except Phillips, of course.

OnBaseMachine
10-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I really like Jeff Niemann from the Rays. He reminds me a bit of Aaron Harang with his size and stuff. The Rays can afford to deal him but I'm not sure what they would want in return.

reds44
10-15-2008, 06:12 PM
I said it last year, and I'll say it again

Edwin Jackson

reds44
10-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Guzman of the Cubs, Mitre of the Marlins.
Aren't they both coming off major arm injuries (multipe for Guzman)?

jojo
10-15-2008, 06:27 PM
I'd leave Jackson alone (he'll probably cost more than he's worth in trade) but I'd happily dumpster dive for a cheaper Niemann in the hopes that he could be a #4. But really, the casting room for the back end of their rotation is getting crowded....

flyer85
10-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Aren't they both coming off major arm injuries (multipe for Guzman)?
Guzman pitched in the 2nd half of the year, Mitre did not pitch in 2008

WebScorpion
10-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I heard that as well.

Almost made me wanna start a TB shopping list.

Except of course I have a feeling that TB would want players that are as good as what they currently have, or better, and Brandon Phillips is the only player off the top of my head we could send them.

Anyone that might be as good or better than what they currently have who plays for the Reds, we probably can't afford to trade.

Except Phillips, of course.
Seeing how stacked their Major League team is, I would guess Tampa Bay is looking for low-level high-ceiling prospects in return. (Think Mesoraco, Alonso, Soto, etc.)

jojo
10-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I think Tampa would look to fill gaps. For instance, they might trade a starter for an electric pen arm that would make an immediate impact like when the Braves swapped HoRam for Soriano.

They are sitting pretty right now.