PDA

View Full Version : 2008 International Signings

OnBaseMachine
10-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Baseball America is just now starting to reveal a list of the 2008 International signings. They are breaking them down by each team and giving a little summary on nearly every player. They haven't gotten to the Reds yet, but when they do, I'll try to summarize it and post it here. They did reveal a list of which organizations spent the most and topping that list was our Reds, and it wasn't really even close.

The Reds spent a total of $5,705,000 on 2008 International signings. The next closest team was the Oakland A's, who spent $4.88 million, although $4 million of that was spent on Michel Inoa. That's nice to see. I'm hoping the Reds make this a yearly thing.

New Fever
10-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Do they count Juan Duran on the 2008 signee list? Even if they counted Duran with this year's list that is still 1.2 million spent on other players besides him and Yorman.

princeton
10-10-2008, 11:59 AM
good sign.

well, either that or a rathole

OnBaseMachine
10-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Do they count Juan Duran on the 2008 signee list? Even if they counted Duran with this year's list that is still 1.2 million spent on other players besides him and Yorman.

I'm 99.9% sure Duran counts as a 2008 signee. Yorman Rodriguez signed for $2.5 million, Juan Duran for $2 million, and Junior Arias for $300,000. That's a total of $4.8 million, so the Reds spent roughly $900,000 on other players. I'm anxious to see who those other players are.

New Fever
10-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm 99.9% sure Duran counts as a 2008 signee. Yorman Rodriguez signed for $2.5 million, Juan Duran for $2 million, and Junior Arias for $300,000. That's a total of $4.8 million, so the Reds spent roughly $900,000 on other players. I'm anxious to see who those other players are.

Juan Duran does count, under the list of spenders they added that the 5.7 million the Reds spent is all on six-figure bonuses or higher. They also said they counted signings from January through September this year.

OnBaseMachine
10-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Juan Duran does count, under the list of spenders they added that the 5.7 million the Reds spent is all on six-figure bonuses or higher. They also said they counted signings from January through September this year.

Wow. Thanks for pointing that out. I completely missed that until you pointed it out. So in addition to Arias, Duran, and Yorman, I'm guessing the Reds signed at least three or more six figure prospects with that $900,000. And I'm guessing the Reds spent well over $6 million total when you factor in players that signed for five- and four-figure bonuses.

kpresidente
10-10-2008, 03:07 PM
The Reds spent a total of $5,705,000 on 2008 International signings.

Last year's payroll was $74 mil. I had heard rumors that it was going to be around $80. I wonder if those international signings represent the difference.

kpresidente
10-10-2008, 03:14 PM
The Reds spent a total of $5,705,000 on 2008 International signings. The next closest team was the Oakland A's, who spent $4.88 million, although $4 million of that was spent on Michel Inoa. That's nice to see. I'm hoping the Reds make this a yearly thing.

Didn't the Reds offer Inoa more than the As? Hell, our figure could have been $10 million.

OnBaseMachine
10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Didn't the Reds offer Inoa more than the As? Hell, our figure could have been $10 million.

Yep. The Reds offered him $5 million and a major league contract.

GOYA
10-10-2008, 06:10 PM
The Rangers offerred him even more, didn't they?

OnBaseMachine
10-10-2008, 06:11 PM
I believe the Rangers offered him $5.2 million.

TOBTTReds
10-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Yep. The Reds offered him $5 million and a major league contract.

What's your source on this...just curious.

dougdirt
10-10-2008, 08:21 PM

I believe an ESPN.com article stated that.

OnBaseMachine
10-10-2008, 10:31 PM

Inoa and his parents turned down more lucrative offers from the Cincinnati Reds and the Texas Rangers due to Oakland's positive results developing young pitchers. The Reds offered a $5 million signing bonus and a major league contract, while the Rangers offered $5.2 million, according to Inoa.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3470209

TOBTTReds
10-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Wow, thanks.

RedlegJake
10-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Now hope like crazy that a couple of these big dollar guys pan out - the last time the Reds tried this it flopped and the team completely turned away from Latin America. That was, of course, a different regime and hopefully Cast realizes that some of this money will be like a Vegas gamble and gone, gone, gone. It will take repeated signings like this year's to really start to pay big dividends. The buscones are bringing the Reds the top talents now - if this kind of annual investment is a budget line item then the Reds will have an inside track as the latin american system now operates. Really, I hope Cast and crew recognize that 5-6 million a year is about the cost of a veteran utility player and well worth the continued expense. In down years for talent they could rathole some of the money and in big years they could push that even higher. If a team can add a guy or two each year in the international arena that would be comparable to a pick from 1-3 in the draft, and lure a player or two in the lower draft slots that driopped because most teams thought he'd go to college, the Reds could develop an incredible minor league system. It'll be interesting to see if the international money continues next year and if they sign as high a percentage of drafted players.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Great stuff from Baseball America today on the Reds International signings. I'll try to summarize it later. According to BA, the Reds are/were pretty close to signing another stud, Ismael Guillon, a 16 year old LHP from Venezuela. SaberScouting ranked him as the 13th best prospect in this years class and they say he is looking for $700,000. If he did indeed sign, that would push the Reds total to $6.4 million spent.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Here's a picture of Juan Duran from BA:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images/jduran08428309bb.jpg

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Confirmed Reds 2008 International signings:

CF Yorman Rodriguez - $2.5 million - Venezuela
OF Juan Duran - $2 million - Dominican Republic
SS Junior Arias - $330,000 - Dominican Republic
SS Anyelo Polanco - $300,000 - Dominican Republic

Bonuses in the $100,000 to $200,000 range:

OF Frederman Lopez - Venezuela
RHP Carlos Tineo - Dominican Republic
RHP Ricardo Quintero - Venezuela
SS Andres Santoni - Venuzuela

Reds are also linked to Venezuelan LHP Ismael Guillon.

dougdirt
10-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Another photo of Juan Duran, this one is by Jim Donten
http://i.pbase.com/g1/23/755623/2/104359089.jyqXTek4.jpg

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Did you post a pic Doug? It's not showing up for me.

JaxRed
10-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Unless he looks like a little red X

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Here is just a little summary on the four main players signed by the Reds:

Yorman Rodriguez - 6-foot-2, 185-pound frame. Plus-plus speed. Very athletic, profiles as a center fielder. Reds have scouted him for three years.

Juan Duran - different style of player from Yorman. Duran is 6'5" and 190 pounds with average speed. Has plus-plus power potential.

Junior Arias - would have received a higher signing bonus but suffered an elbow injury and had surgery on it after he signed. Is expected to be healthy by spring training. Strong and athletic. Short and quick swing. Good defender with a solid arm.

Anyelo Polanco - not quite as good as Arias, but is a solid defender with some ability from the left side of the plate.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Here's a scouting report from SaberScouting on Ismael Guillon, the LHP BA says the Reds are in on:

13. Ismael Guillon, LHP, Venezuela
Guillon is a big 6′3 lefthander that hasnít been seen a whole lot, but has a good amount of polish for a 16 year old. He has a larger, more filled-out frame compared to fellow 6′3 Venezuelan hurler Portillo, and throws from the left side, but has a lower upside. Guillon works in the high 80s with his fastball and lacks bigtime projection, but has 3 workable pitches and some feel for pitching. He figures to get a bonus of about $700,000 as well.

http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/06/27/july2ndothers/#comment-3177

Baseball America has a small profile on him from back in July. They say he's also a first baseman. Scouts say he has great power but he swings and misses a lot. On the mound they say he's got a 90-91 mph fastball but has a bad and funky delivery.

_Sir_Charles_
10-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Did you post a pic Doug? It's not showing up for me.

Right click the "x" and under properties you'll see the link, copy & paste it into the address bar. It'll show up then. Not sure why it's not otherwise.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Doug, do you have any pics of Yorman or Polanco?

dougdirt
10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Doug, do you have any pics of Yorman or Polanco?

Weird that the picture isn't working for some. Its working on my computer. Anywho, check out this site from Jim Donten for tons of baseball pictures from Sarasota. He has some up from the Instructional League.

http://www.pbase.com/jwdonten/baseball

I believe this photo has Yorman in it. He was playing CF that day and Duran was playing RF and Duran is the guy making the catch, so I am guessing the guy standing behind Duran making the catch is Rodriguez.

http://www.pbase.com/jwdonten/image/104359033

camisadelgolf
10-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah, the picture wasn't working for me either. I couldn't even see a red X. I clicked the quote button and cut-and-paste the link. Since then, I'm able to see the photo on RedsZone.

Grande Donkey
10-13-2008, 03:00 PM
http://i.pbase.com/g1/23/755623/2/104370822.Pk6Jns9U.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g1/23/755623/2/104370839.30QVYnXZ.jpg

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks Doug.

The picture still isn't showing up for me but I quoted your post and the link showed up...so I copied and pasted the link and was able to view the picture. Good stuff. Duran still has plenty of room to fill out.

edit - now the pic is showing up for me after I quoted your post.

New Fever
10-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Great stuff from Baseball America today on the Reds International signings. I'll try to summarize it later. According to BA, the Reds are/were pretty close to signing another stud, Ismael Guillon, a 16 year old LHP from Venezuela. SaberScouting ranked him as the 13th best prospect in this years class and they say he is looking for $700,000. If he did indeed sign, that would push the Reds total to $6.4 million spent.

OBM, I thought the signing period was already over.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 03:23 PM
OBM, I thought the signing period was already over.

I believe it ended on September 30th. Baseball America said as of late September, the Reds were linked to left hander/first baseman Ismael Guillon. So it sounds it came down to the last minute.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 03:27 PM
By the way, I think it's a perfect fitting that Yorman Rodriguez is wearing Eric Davis's old number. That's one of the guys Yorman has been compared to, and if you look at the picture of Yorman, his body is similar to Davis'. Duran's body compares favorably with Alex Rios.

Spazzrico
10-13-2008, 04:18 PM
JD is so skinny! It amazes me they have him tagged with plus-plus power potential. Then again I have absolutely no idea how scouts come up with such projections. I just know that he is really young and will fill out, so I'm assuming that a lot of what they see is in his swing.

bubbachunk
10-13-2008, 04:22 PM
JD is so skinny! It amazes me they have him tagged with plus-plus power potential. Then again I have absolutely no idea how scouts come up with such projections. I just know that he is really young and will fill out, so I'm assuming that a lot of what they see is in his swing.

He may have what I would call goofy power. It doesnt seem like he could do much with his body but when he makes contact the ball flys off of it. I think you can easily see this in young guys and hope they fill in in order to increase that power.

icehole3
10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
some of it is bat speed, Soto is thin as a rail but his bat speed is so quick he shoots everything to the wall

GoReds33
10-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I really like the guys we signed. Iona would have been icing on a giant cake. Yorman and Juan are no doubt many years away, but the prospect of getting to watch them fill out into good pro ballplayers is great. Top it off with a few signings next year, a good draft, and we'll have a fully reloaded farm system.

redhawk61
10-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Looking at the pictures of Duran swinging, you can just tell by looking at his body that he is going to rake.

lollipopcurve
10-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Great pics -- thnaks for posting the links. Jim Donten takes some nice shots. Couple impressions:

Duran has some strength in his lower half, which is good.

Soto has very nice mechanics. (Really hope they hold onto him.)

Mesoraco is frickin yooge. Strong kid.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 06:34 PM
I agree with you on Soto - they definitely need to keep him. I think he's got a chance to be a special hitter. He's got great power potential and doesn't strikeout a whole lot. All he needs to do is start drawing a few more walks and he'll really take off. He could be the big right handed bat we're looking for, albeit it'll be a couple years before he's ready.

I also think Juan Duran is going to be a special player. Obviously he's a long, long ways off but he's got unlimited potential. The scouting report on him just makes my jaw drop. I also love the potential of Yorman Rodriguez. I think he's a little more raw than Duran but the sky is the limit for him.

In the pitching department, Juan Carlos Sulbaran is quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects in the Reds system. He's got very good stuff and a great pitchers body. I've seen some video of him pitching and I come away very impressed with him. His fastball is in the low 90's (with room for improvement) and has incredible movement. He also throws a plus curveball and a solid changeup. I think a year from now we'll be ranking him in the Reds top ten prospect lists.

bubbachunk
10-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Is there any extended information on the two shortstops we signed?

GOYA
10-13-2008, 06:48 PM
To anyone who might know:

When the DWL starts, will our guys be there or will they still be in instructional?

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Here's another nice photo by Jim Donten of Alex Buchholz, Juan Duran, and Yorman Rodriguez. Duran is the one making the catch as Yorman backs him up. Look at Yorman, he just looks like an incredible athlete.

http://i.pbase.com/g1/23/755623/2/104359033.xgtI44Bb.jpg

AmarilloRed
10-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Do we have any further information on Ismael Guillon?

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Do we have any further information on Ismael Guillon?

Only this:

Guillon is a big 6′3 lefthander that hasn’t been seen a whole lot, but has a good amount of polish for a 16 year old. He has a larger, more filled-out frame compared to fellow 6′3 Venezuelan hurler Portillo, and throws from the left side, but has a lower upside. Guillon works in the high 80s with his fastball and lacks bigtime projection, but has 3 workable pitches and some feel for pitching. He figures to get a bonus of about $700,000 as well.

http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/06/27/july2ndothers/#comment-3177

Baseball America has a small profile on him from back in July. They say he's also a first baseman. Scouts say he has great power but he swings and misses a lot. On the mound they say he's got a 90-91 mph fastball but has a bad and funky delivery.

Superdude
10-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Duran is so big! :eek:

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2008, 12:13 PM
According to someone who knows Juan Carlos Sulbaran over on the Doug's website, Sulbaran's fastball was peaking at 95 mph against Team Cuba during the Olympics. I'm liking this kid more and more each day. Apparently Sulbaran threw 4 innings of one hit shutout ball in his first Instructional League start. This same guy says Sulbaran will be pitching for the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic in March.

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2008, 01:31 PM
This same guy on Doug's site says Neftali Soto has really stood out in Instructional League. This guy is a Curacao coach, he really knows his stuff. He thinks Soto is one of the top 10 prospects in all of baseball. He also says Oscar Castro has been impressive.

Orenda
10-14-2008, 02:55 PM
where did Sulbaran come from?

Grande Donkey
10-14-2008, 03:09 PM
where did Sulbaran come from?Took him late in the draft and threw quite a bit of money at him so he would sign.

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2008, 03:26 PM
where did Sulbaran come from?

He was drafted in the 30th round and signed for $500,000. He was viewed as possibly a second/third round talent but fell because many didn't expect him to sign. It turns out his dad is a huge Reds fan and that played a big role in him signing. He's originally from Curacao and has only been in the United States for a short time IIRC. His fastball is reportedly up in the 91-95 mph range now with great movement, plus he throws a good curveball, and his changeup is his best pitch according to the poster on Doug's website.

Mario-Rijo
10-15-2008, 10:43 PM
This same guy on Doug's site says Neftali Soto has really stood out in Instructional League. This guy is a Curacao coach, he really knows his stuff. He thinks Soto is one of the top 10 prospects in all of baseball. He also says Oscar Castro has been impressive.

And I agree with him, the kid get's overlooked a bit for sure. However that secret has already started to creep out from under the proverbial door. Low A managers were very impressed with him and I'm sure that info traveled fast up the chain. I still say he has the best potential of anyone in our minor league system including Alonso.

New Fever
10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Baseball America is having an International Chat at 2 (ET) we should ask a ton of Reds questions.

OnBaseMachine
10-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Ben Badler (from BA) says Ismael Guillon switched buscones and is now looking for a bonus of at least $1 million, which is significantly higher than the $500,000 to $700,000 he was expected to get. He's still unsigned according to Badler.

OnBaseMachine
10-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Badler thinks the Reds will continue to have a strong presence in Latin America in the following years.

OnBaseMachine
10-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Someone asked a question about where Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez will begin next season. Badler says the DSL is a possibility, but he thinks both will spend 2009 in extended spring training, then play the season in the GCL, where they'll be two of the youngest players in the league.

New Fever
10-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I found this answer interesting.

Q: Kyle from Middletown asks:
Do you think it is worth the risk for the Reds to invest 2 million dollars in such raw talents? Have their investments made up for their lack of a second rounder in your opinion?

A: Ben Badler: I talk about evaluating players on an individual basis to break it down on a more granular level, but sometimes you do have to judge these investments in the aggregate. So if Duran or Yorman Rodriguez doesn't work out, does that make them bad signings? Maybe, maybe not. If, for example, neither of those guys turn into big leaguers but Junior Arias turns into a perennial all-star shortstop, I'd say it's worth all the money the Reds invested in Latin America this year. It's a little bit like poker. Who cares if you lose 95 percent of the hands you're dealt if at the end of the day you're walking away with more money than you came into the game with? And maybe now's not a great time for a financial analogy, but would you yell at your broker and complain about the individual stocks in the mutual fund that are losing money when the fund itself is up and beating the market? Probably not. It's easy to sit back and point to the ones who missed, but if you hit on at least one of these guys... cha-ching!

New Fever
10-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Ben Badler (from BA) says Ismael Guillon switched buscones and is now looking for a bonus of at least $1 million, which is significantly higher than the $500,000 to $700,000 he was expected to get. He's still unsigned according to Badler.

In the answer about Guillon I interpreted his answer to mean that Red offered at least $800,000 and maybe more. It also seemed as if they were still raising their offer because he said that he may not be unsigned for long.

OnBaseMachine
10-23-2008, 09:10 PM
According to a poster over on Doug's site, lefty Ismael Guillon signed with the Reds. According to the poster, Guillon turned down more money from the Mets and Braves to sign with the Reds because he's close with Yorman Rodriguez. If so, that makes the Reds International class even better. Guillon was ranked as the 13th best prospect available. Along with being a good pitching prospect Guillon is also considered a good hitting prospect with lots of power.

TOBTTReds
10-23-2008, 10:04 PM
According to someone who knows Juan Carlos Sulbaran over on the Doug's website, Sulbaran's fastball was peaking at 95 mph against Team Cuba during the Olympics.

Not to be a downer, but from a source I have, JCS was sitting at 90 in Fall Instructs.

Mario-Rijo
10-24-2008, 12:41 AM
According to a poster over on Doug's site, lefty Ismael Guillon signed with the Reds. According to the poster, Guillon turned down more money from the Mets and Braves to sign with the Reds because he's close with Yorman Rodriguez. If so, that makes the Reds International class even better. Guillon was ranked as the 13th best prospect available. Along with being a good pitching prospect Guillon is also considered a good hitting prospect with lots of power.

That's excellent news! How about the kid that S.F. nixed the contract on over elbow chips, anyone heard any updates on him?

OnBaseMachine
10-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Great job by our buddy Doug on confirming the signing of Ismael Guillon! You're the man Doug.

Reds sign LHP Ismael Guillon
Sunday, October 26th, 2008 | Author: Doug Gray

Freddie posted in the comments that the Reds had signed Ismael Guillon, a LHP out of Venezuela during the signing period. No one else had confirmed it anywhere and the Reds had been rumored to have been involved with him, so I emailed around and got the answer we were looking for. The Reds did indeed sign him. SaberScouting.com rated him as the #13 International Prospect and below is their scouting report.

Guillon is a big 6'3 lefthander that hasnít been seen a whole lot, but has a good amount of polish for a 16 year old. He has a larger, more filled-out frame compared to fellow 6'3 Venezuelan hurler Portillo, and throws from the left side, but has a lower upside. Guillon works in the high 80s with his fastball and lacks bigtime projection, but has 3 workable pitches and some feel for pitching. He figures to get a bonus of about $700,000 as well.

http://redsminorleagues.com/

OnBaseMachine
10-26-2008, 01:40 PM
And this comes from Freddie:

The agent (Ciro Barrios) for both these players confirmed that Ismael Guillon signed with the Reds via a scout I know in Venezuela. Yorman Rodriguez and Ismael Guillon are currently playing in the parallel league for the Magallanes winter ball team. Yorman is 2 for 7 in his 1st 2 games. You can follow them via the following website http://www.ligaparalela.com.ve
Go Reds

http://redsminorleagues.com/2008/10/13/2008-reds-international-signees/#comment-5461

OnBaseMachine
10-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Huge props to Freddie for that link. I never knew that league existed.

Yorman Rodriguez is 2-for-7 with a walk through two games. I'll try to post updates in here throughout the offseason.

OnBaseMachine
10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
I forgot to mention this earlier, but I read a few days ago on a Mets blog that Guillon turned down $1.2 million from the Mets. Freddie said Guillon took less money to sign with the Reds so my best guess would be he signed with the Reds for around $1 million. If so, that would push the Reds total of money spent on six figure bonuses to up around the $6.7 million mark, which would be nearly $2 million more than anyone else.

lollipopcurve
10-26-2008, 02:22 PM
This is all great news, and props to Doug for getting this information out via his site. A lot of these kids will not make it, but my guess is the Reds will get at least one good player out of this 08 foray into Latin America. When you look at the total investment of 6-7 million, it's not much different from a high first-round draft pick. Very happy to see the organization taking this approach to talent acquisition.

camisadelgolf
10-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I forgot to mention this earlier, but I read a few days ago on a Mets blog that Guillon turned down $1.2 million from the Mets. Freddie said Guillon took less money to sign with the Reds so my best guess would be he signed with the Reds for around $1 million. If so, that would push the Reds total of money spent on six figure bonuses to up around the $6.7 million mark, which would be nearly $2 million more than anyone else.

I forget where I read it, but I think Guillon wanted to come to the Reds because he's good friends with Yorman Rodriguez.

OnBaseMachine
10-26-2008, 02:46 PM
I forget where I read it, but I think Guillon wanted to come to the Reds because he's good friends with Yorman Rodriguez.

That's what Freddie from Doug's site said. BTW, does anyone know if a Dominican parallel league exists like the one in Venezuela? I was hoping to see if Duran was playing in one.

OnBaseMachine
10-26-2008, 03:01 PM
I was doing some more reading on Guillon. Baseball America says he throws 90-91 mph but he's got a funky delivery that will need some tweaking. 90-91 is very good for a 16-year old lefty. He probably doesn't have the projection to get his fastball up to 95 but adding another mph or two isn't out of the question with some mechanical tweaks. He's also a first baseman with big power and a tendency to swing and miss a lot. I figure the Reds view him as a pitcher with first base as a fall-back option.

OnBaseMachine
10-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Yorman Rodriguez went 2-for-4 today with a homer (#1), a walk, and 2 RBI. In 13 plate appearances, Yorman is hitting .364/.462/.636 - 1.098 OPS.

lollipopcurve
10-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Yorman Rodriguez went 2-for-4 today with a homer (#1), a walk, and 2 RBI. In 13 plate appearances, Yorman is hitting .364/.462/.636 - 1.098 OPS.

The scouting reports included some that said his bat was pretty iffy, so this is nice to see.

OnBaseMachine
10-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Reds Land Guillon

Posted Oct. 29, 2008 12:29 pm by J.J. Cooper
Filed under: International

After making a big splash by signing outfielders Yorman Rodriguez and Juan Duran, the Reds have added an intriguing international arm by signing lefthander Ismael Guillon.

Guillon was one of the last high profile prospects Premium from this yearís crop who had not signed around the July 2 international signing date.

Guillon, 16, has played first base and pitched for scouts, but the Reds interest came from his work on the mound. The 6-foot-3 lefthander has been clocked at between 88-92 mph. He also has an advanced changeup considering his age. Some scouts from other teams had concerns about his arm action and his delivery, which was described as funky, but the Reds believe heís a relatively polished pitcher for a teenager who still has some projection left despite a relatively developed frame.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/

OnBaseMachine
02-20-2009, 11:40 AM
*Bump*

In the Reds monthly organizational report on Baseball America, John Fay reported that Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez both showed up early to Spring Training camp. Terry Reynolds says right now they are working on conditioning and non-baseball things. He also says both will start the 2009 season in the Gulf Coast League.

OnBaseMachine
02-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Speaking of International signings, hopefully soon we'll start hearing the names of some of the top prospects for the 2009 International class. I hope the Reds stay true to their word and remain very involved in the International scene like they were last year. I'm hoping they can add a couple more stud up-the-middle players, like a shortstop or a CFer/catcher and a big time pitcher would be nice. I wish they could've landed Michel Inoa last year...they were so close.

jballachino
02-22-2009, 05:20 AM
wonder if the REDS will sign any big names this year

OnBaseMachine
03-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Ben Badler (of Baseball America) sent me this email today in response to a question I sent him. I asked him if the Reds had signed anymore Latin prospects recently and if he expected the Reds to be active again this year. His response:

Thanks for writing. The Reds did sign Ismael Guillon, a LHP/1B, though they later reduced the bonus money when something came back with his physical that they found problematic. They signed a 16-year-old catcher named Jhimmy Lopez from Venezuela in January, though I got mixed reports on him that I didn't feel comfortable reporting. I suspect the Reds will be quite active again on July 2 this year, especially in Venezuela where they have been extremely active lately.

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
It doesn't appear that Guillon's surgery was too serious if the Reds think he can get some playing time in this season. Reds assistant GM Bob Miller had this to say about Guillon today:

montreal27:
11:13 am What's the status of LHP/1B Ismael Guillon? Is he expected to be ready for the GCL season?

bob_miller:
11:14 am He had surgery in the off-season but hopefully he'll get a little action in the GCL or Dominican Summer League this year.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/fan_forum/chat.jsp?c_id=cin