PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox end talks with Sarasota about spring training move

fadetoblack2880
10-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Aww, that's too bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3642743

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Boston Red Sox won't be moving to Sarasota for spring training.

The city and county said Tuesday that they have ended negotiations with the club and are giving up the effort to get the team to move its spring home from Fort Myers to Sarasota.

The city and Sarasota County had been negotiating with the Red Sox for months, after the Cincinnati Reds decided to move their spring operations to Goodyear, Ariz.

In a joint statement, the city and county said they were unable to reach an agreement with the Red Sox and the current economic climate limited the amount of money they had to spend on a new complex for the team.

The Red Sox want to move to better facilities than they have now in Fort Myers, where they have trained since 1993.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

hope this isn't a repost.

gedred69
10-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Aww, that's too bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3642743

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Boston Red Sox won't be moving to Sarasota for spring training.

The city and county said Tuesday that they have ended negotiations with the club and are giving up the effort to get the team to move its spring home from Fort Myers to Sarasota.

The city and Sarasota County had been negotiating with the Red Sox for months, after the Cincinnati Reds decided to move their spring operations to Goodyear, Ariz.

In a joint statement, the city and county said they were unable to reach an agreement with the Red Sox and the current economic climate limited the amount of money they had to spend on a new complex for the team.

The Red Sox want to move to better facilities than they have now in Fort Myers, where they have trained since 1993.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

hope this isn't a repost.

As someone who has spent 9 of the last 10 STs, based in Ft. Myers where I can stay for free with my brother, and time my visit for when the Reds are playing Bosox and Twins who both train there.I have paid attention to all this with significant interest. Besides the games in Ft. Myers, we always do the 1+ hr. drive and catch games in Sarasota too. I was devastated when Sarasota kicked the Reds to the curb, then offered Bosox double what the Reds wanted!!! I hope Sarasota chokes on the Dust from an empty Ed Smith Stadium.......................................... '09 will probably be my last ST. Can't afford hotel costs, and I got no relatives to stay with in the Desert..