PDA

View Full Version : something new every week bengals v steelers

Michael Young
10-19-2008, 01:24 PM
been awhile since i've seen a punt that bad in a professional football game

camisadelgolf
10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, that's one way of preventing special teams touchdowns.

Michael Young
10-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, that's one way of preventing special teams touchdowns.

:lol:

Michael Young
10-19-2008, 01:53 PM
4 consec 3 & outs

impressive

guttle11
10-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Do the Bengals have the worst offense in the history of the NFL now that Palmer is out?

They just might.

Michael Young
10-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Do the Bengals have the worst offense in the history of the NFL now that Palmer is out?

They just might.

6 passing yards

Michael Young
10-19-2008, 02:06 PM
fair catch at the 7

beautiful

didn't that idiot learn anything from last week

guttle11
10-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Is that 5 consecutive first downs?

Pizza party!

Welcome back Chris Henry.

Yachtzee
10-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Touchdown! I must say the Bengals' D seems to be holding their own. They've kept the Bengals in the game so that Fitzpatrick could put together a nice drive. Now if they can just stop Pittsburgh before the half.

guttle11
10-19-2008, 02:23 PM
We scored a touchdown!

I'd be ok with just ending the game at 10-7 right now. Pretty solid week if that were the case.

Playadlc
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I really like this defense. They could have packed it in early when the offense couldn't muster a single first down early on, but they didn't. They kept getting stop after stop when Pitt. was starting with great field position.

Fitz got on a roll there at the end. Hopefully, he can continue that.

Michael Young
10-19-2008, 03:46 PM
vintage bengals

dsmith421
10-19-2008, 05:24 PM
I have season tickets. I asked my dad to go, again. After the game, he told me that he will no longer take my extra ticket. I do not blame him. This is the last year I will have season tickets. Or watch. Or care.

Playadlc
10-19-2008, 06:27 PM
In other news...

This has to be the funniest stat line I have ever seen.

Derrick Anderson, right now, is 5/21 for 40 yards.

Redsfaithful
10-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Keith Rivers out for the year. Unreal.

Highlifeman21
10-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Keith Rivers out for the year. Unreal.

What happened?

Michael Young
10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
What happened?

cincinnati fan's favorite pittsburgh wide receiver absolutely destroyed him on a block

rivers never saw him coming and got totally blown up

guttle11
10-19-2008, 10:49 PM
cincinnati fan's favorite pittsburgh wide receiver absolutely destroyed him on a block

rivers never saw him coming and got totally blown up

With a helmet to helmet blind hit. He really needs to be suspended for a game or two. He's out of control.

CTA513
10-20-2008, 12:22 AM
What happened?

Ward came from behind to block him and in the process lowered his head and his helmet hit Rivers in the side of the head / jaw area.

Redsfaithful
10-20-2008, 03:47 AM
Ward leads with his head all the time. Guy is one of the dirtiest players in the NFL.

SteelSD
10-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Ward came from behind to block him and in the process lowered his head and his helmet hit Rivers in the side of the head / jaw area.

Rivers was running toward the sideline from the interior of the field. Ward was running in from the sideline at an angle toward Rivers. There was no "from behind" and Ward led with his shoulder, not his head. Rivers got blown up by a player who was in front of him to his left and who should have been in his field of vision right up until the moment of impact. But Rivers wasn't paying attention to anything but the ballcarrier. That's a rookie mistake.

While it sucks that Rivers was injured, that's a block you'd want every Bengals receiver to throw on every single offensive play.

Tony Cloninger
10-20-2008, 11:13 AM
You are defending a player from your favorite team....good for you. The Steelers are and always have been taught to play as close to dirty as possible.....the old Raiders had the rep but the Steelers were just as bad and then whine about it when they are called on it. Why none of the Bengals DB's did not go George Atkinson on him.......is beyond me. Then again.....the Bengals are not even taught to tackle...let alone hit anybody.

guttle11
10-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Rivers was running toward the sideline from the interior of the field. Ward was running in from the sideline at an angle toward Rivers. There was no "from behind" and Ward led with his shoulder, not his head. Rivers got blown up by a player who was in front of him to his left and who should have been in his field of vision right up until the moment of impact. But Rivers wasn't paying attention to anything but the ballcarrier. That's a rookie mistake.

While it sucks that Rivers was injured, that's a block you'd want every Bengals receiver to throw on every single offensive play.

I might buy this if Ward wasn't known for boarderline to dirty play. But he is. This is the third time Ward has been seen leading with the helmet just this season.

Once is an accident. Twice raises the eyebrows. Three times is a pattern.

I want my recievers to block, but to block the body. Blindside hits up high can end seasons and careers. What gets me in all this is the fact that Ward is an excellent blocker. He knows that to block well you don't have to blow someone up, you just have to alter their path. He doesn't need to aim high, but he still does.

SteelSD
10-20-2008, 11:50 AM
You are defending a player from your favorite team....good for you.

Actually, when I watched the replay of that hit over and over, I didn't at all care about the uniforms. I just wanted to see what actually happened, and it wasn't at all what was being stated. Had a Steeler been laid out in the same fashion due to not being aware of his surroundings, I would have had no sympathy. And frankly, if a player can't throw that block then they just need to tie flags on all the players and call it a day.

Here's a great comment from a current NFL player on the silly fines handed out to Ward recently:

"Unnecessary roughness? That doesn't make any sense. I am serious; that doesn't make any sense at all. Hines has always been probably the best darned blocker in the NFL. I don't understand where you get unnecessary roughness from. That is not even a rule."

And yeah, that's Chad Johnson speaking.

The Steelers are and always have been taught to play as close to dirty as possible.....the old Raiders had the rep but the Steelers were just as bad and then whine about it when they are called on it.

Well, that's actually not how Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin, or the Rooneys do things. Nasty? Sure. Football's a rough sport after all. Stupid sometimes? Sure. But I think it's quite unfair to frame the team's style of play (both now and historically) as "dirty".

Why none of the Bengals DB's did not go George Atkinson on him.......is beyond me.

Well, the Bengals did end up with a flag on the final score for hitting Ward after he'd crossed the goal line. Does that count?

Then again.....the Bengals are not even taught to tackle...let alone hit anybody.

Yeah...not good.

SteelSD
10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I might buy this if Ward wasn't known for boarderline to dirty play. But he is. This is the third time Ward has been seen leading with the helmet just this season.

Once is an accident. Twice raises the eyebrows. Three times is a pattern.

Again, he didn't lead with his helmet. Now, the helmet is attached to the head and the head is attached to the neck, and that's attached at the shoulders. So when the shoulder leads, the head is generally going to be around somewhere. ;)

BRM
10-20-2008, 11:53 AM
The announcers said it was a clean hit at the time, FWIW.

cincrazy
10-20-2008, 12:14 PM
I can't stand Hines Ward. He may be my least favorite player of all time. But if more Bengals players had his attitude, we wouldn't continually suck. It's football. It sucks that Rivers got hurt, and Ward constantly toes the line on what's legal and what's not, but I don't think it was a dirty hit. A necessary hit? Probably not. But on the same hand, not dirty.

SeeinRed
10-20-2008, 12:52 PM
It was a clean hit and clearly within the NFL rules. If Rivers was a QB or a WR, there probably would have been a flag. The problem is the rules. Yeah, Hines didn't do anything outside of the current rules, but that doesn't mean it was necessary IMO. He may, or may not have led with his helmet, but he did put his helmet down. It may not have been directly from behind, but it sure wasn't from an angle that Rivers could have seen. It is football, and it does happen. Its terrible to see such a promising player go down, but he'll be back.

One time Hines Ward is going to go up for a catch and a defender is going to have a chance for a cheap shot. If that player takes it, Ward better keep his mouth shut. I suspect that the NFL will take action, but I doubt Ward will be fined. If he is, he shouldn't be suprised. Thats what happens when you play like that.

camisadelgolf
10-20-2008, 01:01 PM
The only thing I can think to fine Hines Ward is from an unnecessary roughness anle. Rivers was clearly not looking at Ward, and the play was coming to a close. Ward should have been blocking, which he did, but it was unnecessary for him to block in the way he did. It was legal, but it was unnecessary. I hate Ward as much as the next Bengals fan, but like it was already said, if it were a Bengals wide receiver, we would've wanted him to take that shot.

BoydsOfSummer
10-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Again, he didn't lead with his helmet. Now, the helmet is attached to the head and the head is attached to the neck, and that's attached at the shoulders. So when the shoulder leads, the head is generally going to be around somewhere. ;)

But the jawbone is no longer connected to the head bone.:cool:

See, now that's a cheap shot, my friends.:D

Tony Cloninger
10-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Okay.....so when i look at it like the Kennedy film....i see Hines who is shorter.....going to block Rivers...using his helmet to lead....which is basically going to end up around the chin of the taller Rivers.

Mike Wagner.....Donnie Shell....JT Thomas....all headhunters....when it was more tolerated and allowable.

The odds of him breaking his jaw.....are very small....so even though I think it was a cheap hit....it would be much ado about nothing if Rivers was okay.

I think the frustration level of losing and knowing that this organization will not change at all....really makes you look for anything to rant on.