PDA

View Full Version : How about this guy for the Pen?

schroomytunes
10-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Flash from the past, but this guy is a decent lefty reliever, he's only 32 and his GB/FB ratio is like 1.72!!!! He will definitely be cheaper than Affeldt and will allow us to allocate $$$ to strengthening our offense. The guy is none other than Dennys Reyes!! He fell victim to being used poorly while under Bowden's regime, and now is a damn fine middle reliever. If we re-sign Weathers like I think we will than we may be able to look at this type of scenerio for the pen.

1)Cordero
2)Burton
3)Bray
4)Weathers
5)Reyes
6)Masset
7)Ramirez/Owings-whoever dosn't nail the 5th spot.

camisadelgolf
10-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Great suggestion--I reall like it. He's a left-hander who actually gets left-handers out (unlike Affeldt, who has better results against right-handers for some strange reason). When Reyes went to Minnesota, he somehow discovered the concept of command.

westofyou
10-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Only 32... he's only 32... the guy has been around forever and looks like he will be for some time more. 12 seasons 9 teams, an asset, but tenuous at best.

AmarilloRed
10-23-2008, 12:16 PM
We have a similar pitcher in Carlos Fisher at AAA.He had a 59% GB percentage at AA, 63% at AAA, and only allowed 3 hrs in about 70 IP last year.

*BaseClogger*
10-23-2008, 12:44 PM
We have a similar pitcher in Carlos Fisher at AAA.He had a 59% GB percentage at AA, 63% at AAA, and only allowed 3 hrs in about 70 IP last year.

I thought Fisher was RH?

westofyou
10-23-2008, 01:11 PM
I thought Fisher was RH?

He is

dfs
10-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Only 32... he's only 32... the guy has been around forever and looks like he will be for some time more. 12 seasons 9 teams, an asset, but tenuous at best.

A great deal of the excitement he generated when he came over from the dodgers was how young he was. He was "gonna develop."
He's a useful major leaguer now, but that's a lot of water under the bridge.

I don't know how much of the Cardinals was LaRussa and how much was Jockety, but the Cardinals have had some fine bullpens.

kheidg-
10-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Reyes is the definition of a LOOGY. Gardenhire would only use him against LH batters unless the game was totally out of hand and he needed work. Down the stretch this season, Reyes wasn't even used.

I'd pass and stick with Affeldt.

AmarilloRed
10-24-2008, 12:57 AM
I thought Fisher was RH?

Fisher is a similar groundball pitcher who doesn't give up HRs. I don't think it matters which side you throw from as long as you keep the ball in the park, and get groundball outs.

Mario-Rijo
10-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Reyes is the definition of a LOOGY. Gardenhire would only use him against LH batters unless the game was totally out of hand and he needed work. Down the stretch this season, Reyes wasn't even used.

I think that's the point really, we don't have a single guy who can get LH's out with any large degree of consistency. At least no LH's anyway. It sure would be nice to have him vs. a Berkman or an Utley.

RedlegJake
10-24-2008, 07:40 AM

I'd sign him AND Affeldt. Reyes strictly as a LOOGY for those key situations (like Berkman), Affeldt as my workhorse lefty in the pen. Burton as my main setup man, Cordero closing. Whichever lost out on the 5th spot, Ramirez or Owings would be the long man, Roenicke and Masset would fill out the pen. No Weathers or Lincoln. Herrerra would go back to AAA. He, Belisle, Bailey, Maloney (assuming he is protected), Pelland and Thompson would be available if someone gets hurt.

IslandRed
10-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Fisher is a similar groundball pitcher who doesn't give up HRs. I don't think it matters which side you throw from as long as you keep the ball in the park, and get groundball outs.

I agree with you in an "all things being equal" sense. But there are plenty of very good left-handed hitters to whom certain kinds of left-handed pitchers are kryptonite, and it can be useful to have some on hand. Admittedly, carrying a LOOGY is a bit of a luxury and shouldn't be done at the expense of the meat-and-potatoes part of the bullpen.

westofyou
10-24-2008, 10:50 AM
I agree with you in an "all things being equal" sense. But there are plenty of very good left-handed hitters to whom certain kinds of left-handed pitchers are kryptonite, and it can be useful to have some on hand. Admittedly, carrying a LOOGY is a bit of a luxury and shouldn't be done at the expense of the meat-and-potatoes part of the bullpen.

I have a mess of Strat cards that say some LH batters DESTROY RH pitching, of all kinds, all the time... and often that's the reason they are still in the league.

mth123
10-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I'd sign him AND Affeldt. Reyes strictly as a LOOGY for those key situations (like Berkman), Affeldt as my workhorse lefty in the pen. Burton as my main setup man, Cordero closing. Whichever lost out on the 5th spot, Ramirez or Owings would be the long man, Roenicke and Masset would fill out the pen. No Weathers or Lincoln. Herrerra would go back to AAA. He, Belisle, Bailey, Maloney (assuming he is protected), Pelland and Thompson would be available if someone gets hurt.

Bray? He'd probably be decent trade bait as a young lefty.

Will M
10-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Whats wrong with:

Cordero
Burton
Affeldt (L) re signed for 2-3 years
Massett
Bray (L)
Owings or Ramirez
7th spot is open for competition (Roenicke, Herrara,etc)

Thats a decent pen if Affeldt is re signed.

Mario-Rijo
10-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Whats wrong with:

Cordero
Burton
Affeldt (L) re signed for 2-3 years
Massett
Bray (L)
Owings or Ramirez
7th spot is open for competition (Roenicke, Herrara,etc)

Thats a decent pen if Affeldt is re signed.

Nothing so much but don't forget that injuries will occur which is likely going to allow those in the mix for a 7th spot to see some time at the major league level anyway. Why not hand that 7th spot to a guy who can get that pivotal out late in the game.