PDA

View Full Version : Newport on the Levee

DTCromer
10-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey guys, I'm taking a girl out this weekend and I wanted to eat at some places in NKY. I figured Newport on the Levee would be a great choice. However, I'm not sure which places to eat or entertain ourselves (before we head back home :) ). I need some advice from some of my fellow RedZoners about Newport.

Reds4Life
10-24-2008, 07:54 AM
How much are you looking to spend/impress?

DTCromer
10-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Hmmmm, it's a first date thing so nothing too overbearing. Just a nice dinner with some type of entertainment that doesn't necessarily involve a movie. I just looking for some alternatives. Newport's website doesn't really give me enough info to look for.

Reds4Life
10-24-2008, 08:02 AM
The Funnybone is there, you could try that for after dinner entertainment, I'm not sure what their schedule is though. Same with Shadowbox.

For food, lots to choose from. Brio is good, but not cheap. If you are looking for something simple, there is a Deweys also, best pizza and calzone's in this area. :) Habanero is also good if she likes latin food, I haven't been to the one in Newport, I usually go to clifton.

bucksfan2
10-24-2008, 09:00 AM
You really can't go wrong with any restaurant you pick over there. It depends on what you are in the mood for. The wife and I used to go over there, eat dinner, walk around, and catch a movie.

PedroBourbon
10-24-2008, 09:02 AM
The japanese place (forgot the name) is good, sushi as well if you like it. It's on the left hand side if your facing Cincinnati. Arnie's across the street is more low key, bar/restaurant type atmosphere. Can't miss it on top of the little hill, parking on the right. Eat and drink for $40-50.

PedroBourbon
10-24-2008, 09:15 AM
The Funnybone is there, you could try that for after dinner entertainment, I'm not sure what their schedule is though. Same with Shadowbox.

For food, lots to choose from. Brio is good, but not cheap. If you are looking for something simple, there is a Deweys also, best pizza and calzone's in this area. :) Habanero is also good if she likes latin food, I haven't been to the one in Newport, I usually go to clifton.

I was less than impressed with Habanero. Maybe it's just that location since you said you didn't eat at the Newport one.

dougdirt
10-24-2008, 09:15 AM
The japanese place (forgot the name) is good, sushi as well if you like it. It's on the left hand side if your facing Cincinnati. Arnie's across the street is more low key, bar/restaurant type atmosphere. Can't miss it on top of the little hill, parking on the right. Eat and drink for $40-50.

Maybe I only go to Arnies on bad nights, but its far from low key on the nights I have been.

Johnny Footstool
10-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Just a tip: it's probably not a good idea to take a first date to a stand-up comedy performance. You need to understand her sense of humor first. Unless you know her pretty well, it could be quite uncomfortable.

My wife's boss told me that for his first date with the girl he eventually married, he considered taking her to see a young upstart comedian named Sam Kinison. Luckily, he didn't, because he probably never would have seen her again.

Chip R
10-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Hey guys, I'm taking a girl out this weekend and I wanted to eat at some places in NKY. I figured Newport on the Levee would be a great choice. However, I'm not sure which places to eat or entertain ourselves (before we head back home :) ). I need some advice from some of my fellow RedZoners about Newport.

If you guys like seafood, Mitchells Fish Market on the Levee has really good food.

SunDeck
10-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I always liked Dee Felice, although it's over there in Covington. Great jazz there.

Mitchells does indeed have some good seafood, but I don't think they have music. Of course, the Hofbrau Haus (http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/) is there, but I'm not sure if that's a real date kind of place. If it were me, I'd make the mistake of paying more attention to the beer than my date.

York St. Cafe (http://www.yorkstonline.com/)- Not on the levy, but not far south either.
I'd been there a few times and they had music, too.

redsmetz
10-24-2008, 10:06 AM
DT, what sort of price range are you looking for? As folks said, there's a myriad of price ranges at Newport on the Levee. I might guess that you're looking for something in the Dewey's or Habanero range. I've been to Dewey's there and they do have some of the best Pizza around. If you're not familiar with them, you do have the option of each getting a different type pizza, but on the same pie; including you getting red sauce and her white, etc.

I like Habanero's in Clifton, but have no idea how the new one down there is.

Since you're not wanting a movie and some folks have recommended not taking in a comedy club until you know her better, you might look at The Southgate House for some music. It's right across from the Levee: http://www.southgatehouse.com/

DTCromer
10-24-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm not going to a comedy club. I was thinking something more casual where we could talk or do something. For instance, I took a girl to an Indianapolis Indians game as a casual first date in Indy in the spring and that was about perfect. We ended up eating somewhere after. I think we'll eat at Mitchell's or Brios. I don't mind spending some $ on a date. After that, I'm thinking a movie or some casual place to have a drink or two :)

BTW, thanks for the suggestions so far.

SunDeck
10-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Not in Newport, but in downtown-
Arnold's (http://http://www.arnoldsbarandgrill.com/). Live music, casual atmosphere, a good place for catching a drink or two, or even dinner. It's the kind of place that feels like my favorite pair of shoes- always comfortable, broken in, but not shabby.

Allegro
10-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Pomilio's is a few blocks south and is terrific authentic italian food at a great price. We eat and park there then walk to the Levee for movie/comedy. Great place for a date.

Newport Red
10-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Here is the link to thier website.

http://www.newportonthelevee.com/

DTCromer
10-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Pomilio's is a few blocks south and is terrific authentic italian food at a great price. We eat and park there then walk to the Levee for movie/comedy. Great place for a date.

Thanks for the suggestion. I love their menu so that's what I may do. Eat at Pomplio's @ 6, walk up to the levee at 7. . . 7:30. . movie at 815. . . .in her bed by 11. :)

SunDeck
10-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I love their menu so that's what I may do. Eat at Pomplio's @ 6, walk up to the levee at 7. . . 7:30. . movie at 815. . . .in her bed by 11. :)

Home by 11:15.

Leave the joke door open and someone will drive a truck through it. ;)

PedroBourbon
10-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Don't forget Hooter's down the road! No, actually DO forget Hooter's Newport. I will never forget my VERY pregnant waitress there one time, what a disaster. Worst looking girls at any Hooters I have ever been to.

paintmered
10-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Take her to Biaggio's Bistro on Ludlow. Knockout authentic Italian/Tuscan food, great hole-in-the-wall atmosphere that's appropriate for a date (dinner runs $10-18). If both of you are of age, the fine wine and beer shop across the street has a great atmosphere for wine and beer tasting for $5 on Fridays and Saturdays starting at 5:00. If you aren't of age, the Esquire shows first run movies now.

I've taken dates to Newport on the Levee before and rarely to good results. I don't know if it's the overly contrived nature of that place (or maybe it's all the high school kids), but it doesn't lend itself to a date very well. Instead, take her to a place that she probably hasn't been to dozens of times. I've always had luck when I can give a date a new experience. It takes some knowledge of the city, but there are countless opportunities out there. You just have to look and be willing to try unfamiliar places.

GAC
10-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Maybe I only go to Arnies on bad nights, but its far from low key on the nights I have been.

Still haven't recovered my hearing yet. I wouldn't recommend it as a place for a first date. Too loud and rowdy.

Chip R
10-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Still haven't recovered my hearing yet. I wouldn't recommend it as a place for a first date. Too loud and rowdy.

Good thing you weren't inside.

vaticanplum
10-25-2008, 11:28 AM

Have you been there recently? Pompilio's used to be one of the few places my family would eat Italian, but the place was bought a few years back and the recipes changed. I think their sauce now is almost unstomachable. Still an adorable place though.

GAC
10-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Good thing you weren't inside.

We've sat inside twice before pior to games. ;)

BEETTLEBUG
10-25-2008, 11:36 PM
I like GameWorks myself

TeamSelig
10-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Skip all the fancy stuff.

Go to McDonalds drive thru and tell her she can only order off the $1 menu. Make sure she knows that you are not going to waste money on her if she isn't going to let you spend the night. If she obliges, go straight to her bedroom. Leave immediately after. Only call her again when you are sloppy drunk.

;)

OldRightHander
10-26-2008, 03:51 PM

Is that the place we were at after the Opening Day game? My ears are still ringing.

DoogMinAmo
10-27-2008, 03:07 AM
A couple more suggestions about places in Newport: The Reserve is a cool piano bar/ restaurant that used to be the Federal Reserve in Cincinnati, and I have heard amazing things about Nuvo, a contemporary dining place for more refined palettes.

Allegro
10-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Have you been there recently? Pompilio's used to be one of the few places my family would eat Italian, but the place was bought a few years back and the recipes changed. I think their sauce now is almost unstomachable. Still an adorable place though.

I have not been there is a year, maybe longer. I will be bummed if that is the case, I loved that place.

redsmetz
10-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Take her to Biaggio's Bistro on Ludlow. Knockout authentic Italian/Tuscan food, great hole-in-the-wall atmosphere that's appropriate for a date (dinner runs $10-18). If both of you are of age, the fine wine and beer shop across the street has a great atmosphere for wine and beer tasting for $5 on Fridays and Saturdays starting at 5:00. If you aren't of age, the Esquire shows first run movies now.

I'll second that for Biaggio's Bistro. My neighbor is their pasta maker and they're very accommadating about changing things. My wife is vegetarian and they adjusted the chicken dish that had the sauce she wanted and made it vegetarian. Nice place.

Caseyfan21
10-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Don't forget Hooter's down the road! No, actually DO forget Hooter's Newport. I will never forget my VERY pregnant waitress there one time, what a disaster. Worst looking girls at any Hooters I have ever been to.

You obviously haven't been to the Hooter's in Huntington, WV during the "off-season" as some of the guys at work called it. I had an internship there over the summer and great excitement ensued with some of the older guys around the office once late August rolled around and the young Marshall ladies resumed their school jobs. It was a little rough when I went there a couple times over the summer. I did have a pregnant waitress as well. At least we think she was pregnant....:eek:

Blimpie
10-28-2008, 08:36 AM
In you dared to venture into the "Derby City" Hooters (Louisville) anytime other than early May, you would probably ask the manager to dim the lights.

morande
10-28-2008, 02:26 PM
definitely do mcormicks fish house, or there is a place just below bar louie that looks really good but I don't know the name