PDA

View Full Version : The Difference Between The Steelers and Bengals

Krusty
10-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Steelers fan here.

Want to know the difference between the organizations? The Steelers suspended WR Santanio Holmes for the game against the Giants. Even though he will be charged on a misdeamnor, the Steelers went ahead and put him on the inactive list for the Giants game.

Now I ask, would the Bengals have done the same thing?

CTA513
10-25-2008, 04:37 PM
The Steelers are hoping he will miss just 1 game instead of the 4 games the NFL can suspend him for.

Screwball
10-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Steelers fan here.

Want to know the difference between the organizations? The Steelers suspended WR Santanio Holmes for the game against the Giants. Even though he will be charged on a misdeamnor, the Steelers went ahead and put him on the inactive list for the Giants game.

Maybe. Back in September of '06 when Odell got his DUI, Chris Henry was a passenger. Despite not being charged with any wrongdoing, Marvin Lewis suspended Henry for the following game against the Patriots. Of course, while Henry might not have been charged with any illegal activity inn the incident, reports are that he was so drunk he puked out the window.

However, there seem to have been plenty of instances where the team took no action for off-field problems. I think it really depends on the player being a repeat offender or not.

BTW, I think the big difference between the two teams is talent and scheming by the coaches. Dick LeBeau is a freaking wizard.

Bip Roberts
10-25-2008, 04:39 PM
The difference is if the Bengals would suspend him for a game and the NFL would suspend him for 3 more games where as the Steelers will probably get a pass because they are a supposed class act.

WMR
10-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Steelers fan here.

:rolleyes:

cincrazy
10-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Steelers fan here.

Well, they are being proactive, but Santonio's marijuana problem isn't anything new. I went to OSU, it was a pretty well known fact that he smoked weed. Him getting caught was the least surprised I've ever been at any news.

If the Steelers really wanted to be law-abiding citizens, they'd suspend Hines Ward for some of his hits :p:

Bip Roberts
10-26-2008, 01:17 AM
I would go as far to say that the Steelers care even less than Mike Brown does about his players getting into trouble.

TeamSelig
10-26-2008, 01:28 AM
:rolleyes:

+1

SteelSD
10-26-2008, 02:45 AM
I would go as far to say that the Steelers care even less than Mike Brown does about his players getting into trouble.

Exactly the opposite. The Steelers actually have a history of letting players go if they've been involved in drug activity. Bam Morris is a great example. He was charged in 1997 after police found 4 kilos of pot and one gram of coke. Morris was sentenced to only 200 hours of community service and a fine of $7,000. The Steelers wanted none of that.

Holmes' suspension by the team is nothing at all surprising considering the violation and if he slips again he'll most likely be off the squad. Steelers' ownership and coaching staffs do NOT tolerate things like the Bengals do. They do not wait for a fifth arrest (Chris Henry) before taking real action.

Bip Roberts
10-26-2008, 02:58 AM
1997 eh? Great example.

Meanwhile the Steelers employ 3 guys right now who have all been arrested in the last year.

Playadlc
10-26-2008, 03:13 AM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/15632643/detail.html

Tony Cloninger
10-26-2008, 03:16 AM
The difference is they hire full round....GOOD scouts and a real GM.

They get rid of coaches who do not produce results.... Bill regularly replaced offensive coaches.

Football players who break the law is now an oxymoron.

Danny Serafini
10-26-2008, 03:21 AM
The Steelers actually have a history of letting players go if they've been involved in drug activity.

If the Steelers were such a clean franchise the players from their glory days wouldn't be dying off at an alarming rate thanks to their rampant steroid abuse. Not to mention the handful of current arrests.

The Bengals are a bit of a mixed bag. They let an oaf like Chris Henry make mistake after mistake, but cut Matthias Askew, who actually won a lawsuit against the city of Cincinnati in his legal issues. Here's the reality, for the Steelers, the Bengals, and any other NFL team: if you can play, you're excused, if you can't, you're not.

icehole3
10-26-2008, 07:53 AM
A.J. Nicholson is another one to add to the list

camisadelgolf
10-26-2008, 09:07 AM
How many felonies has Chris Henry been convicted of?

March, 2008 - allegedly assaulted a man; determined to be false identity
December, 2007 - allegedly violated probation; found not guilty
November, 2007 - allegedly assaulted a valet; no charges have been filed
June, 2007 - allegedly assaulted a minor; claims were determined to be unfounded
May, 2007 - allegedly failed drug test; false report
May, 2006 - allegedly engaged in a sex crime; no charges have been filed, and someone may be arrested for filing a false report

January, 2007 - pleaded guilty to providing alcohol to minors
June, 2006 - DUI with a BAC that was, until recently, at a legal level
January, 2006 - arrested for concealment and aggravated assault with a firearm; pleaded guilty and avoided jail time
December, 2005 - pulled over for speeding; was driving without a valid license and insurance, and a small amount of marijuana was found in his shoes

redsfanmia
10-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Exactly the opposite. The Steelers actually have a history of letting players go if they've been involved in drug activity.

How about the rampant steroid use of the 70' steel curtain team? Sorry Danny Serafini beat me too it.

GoReds33
10-26-2008, 01:22 PM

They get rid of coaches who do not produce results.... Bill regularly replaced offensive coaches.

Football players who break the law is now an oxymoron.That's exactly the difference. They know how to win, plain and simple. They have great coaching, and they don't accept losing.

SteelSD
10-26-2008, 01:44 PM
1997 eh? Great example.

Meanwhile the Steelers employ 3 guys right now who have all been arrested in the last year.

Wideout Cedric Wilson was released hours after he was charged with domestic violence this past spring. Is that recent enough for you? Najeh Davenport was charged with three counts stemming from a domestic incident, went to trial, and was found not guilty on all counts. In April, 2008 domestic violence charges were dropped when James Harrison agreed to enter anger management counseling.

None of it involved drug activity (which was the original point) and in Davenport's case he apparently didn't even do anything wrong (although putting himself in that situation was dumb). Each case's circumstances were fundamentally different and the team acted as such. The Steelers' managment and ownership do not at all have a recent history of simply burying their collective heads in the sand when it comes to dealing with illegal activity.

SteelSD
10-26-2008, 02:00 PM
If the Steelers were such a clean franchise the players from their glory days wouldn't be dying off at an alarming rate thanks to their rampant steroid abuse.

How about the rampant steroid use of the 70' steel curtain team? Sorry Danny Serafini beat me too it.

This is where context is important. Steroid use, even without a prescription, was not illegal until 1990. Steroid use was a rampant issue in the NFL throughout the 70's and 80's and it's entirely unfortunate that the effects of long-term use were virtually unknown at the time.

Now, do we want to talk about whether or not the World Series rings won by the BRM lose their luster considering the widespread use of amphetimines, which became illegal without a prescription in 1965?

remdog
10-26-2008, 09:15 PM

:thumbup: That is [exactly[/i] on the money and anything else is just blathering by Steeler fans. Which, admitedly, they do very well.

It's interesting to me that this thread appeared today because, as I watch the Steeler/Giants game, with the Steeler retro unis, I was reminded that in the 40's, 50's, and much of the 60's the Steelers were the Bungels of their generation---only worse.

Finally, the Rooney family, which was soundly overmatched by the (Paul) Brown family went outside of the organization and hired astute football management (Chuck Noll who, of course, learned under Paul Brown).

The real difference between the Steelers and Browns is that Mike Brown is a dolt and Rooney at least has the common sense to realize that he knows nothing but is willing to bring in professional management.

I strongly suspect that certain babies got switched at birth. :p:

Rem

deltachi8
11-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I think the Steelers generally do a good job of policing themselves and avoiding problem employees. However, I would have liked to see them do more with Holmes than they did and really do not have a good feeling of committing a large sume of money to him when he becomes a FA in a couple years.

wheels
11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Najaeh Davenport.

Isn't that the guy that left anex girlfriend something of a "present" in her clothes hamper while he was in college.

Doesn't really have anything to do with this topic, but I remember thinking it was hilarious at the time.

redhawkfish
11-02-2008, 10:26 PM
He is known by Steelers fans as the "dump" truck!:)

Najaeh Davenport.

Isn't that the guy that left anex girlfriend something of a "present" in her clothes hamper while he was in college.

Doesn't really have anything to do with this topic, but I remember thinking it was hilarious at the time.

wolfboy
11-06-2008, 03:22 PM
The main difference between the Steelers and the Bengals? The fans. Many Steelers fans have a compulsive disorder that makes them voice their delusions of grandeur at every opportunity. Many Bengals fans are just delusional (my father-in-law to be thought 10-6 was a reality).