PDA

View Full Version : King of the Hill Canceled

WVRed
11-01-2008, 04:40 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081101/ap_en_tv/tv_king_of_the_hill

LOS ANGELES "King of the Hill" is over the hill at Fox, which is canceling the long-running animated comedy.

Final episodes of the half-hour series, now in its 13th year, likely will air during the 2009-10 season, Fox said Friday. The network recently ordered 13 new episodes, and animated series have a long production schedule.

"King of the Hill" chronicles the life of blue-collar family man Hank Hill of Texas and his family and friends. Hank is voiced by series co-creator and executive producer Mike Judge. Others in the cast include Kathy Najimy, Brittany Murphy and Stephen Root.

The picture is brighter for another Sunday night animated show on Fox, "American Dad," which was renewed for its fifth season. It has posted single-digit ratings gains among advertiser-favored young adult viewers and total viewers.

Ratings for "King of the Hill" have been relatively flat early this season.

"American Dad" is about Stan Smith, a dedicated conservative, and his oddball family in Langley, Va. Series co-creator and executive producer Seth MacFarlane voices Stan in the series, which also features the voices of Wendy Schaal, Rachael MacFarlane and Scott Grimes.

This is a show that probably has run its course, but I would love to see Mike Judge go back and make some new Beavis and Butthead.

westofyou
11-01-2008, 04:42 PM
That just ain't right.

WMR
11-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Aaah, new Beavis and Butt-Head. YES. It is time.

I would love to see HBO or Showtime put it on. Let him take it wherever he wants.

Screwball
11-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I think American Dad is awful.

That is all.

GoReds33
11-01-2008, 05:44 PM

That is all.Have to agree on that. It's nothing more than a spinoff of Family Guy, which was a spinoff on the Simpsons. I just cannot watch it at all.

Chip R
11-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Dang it!

BoydsOfSummer
11-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm kickin' someones ass, I tell ya what!

MrCinatit
11-01-2008, 07:32 PM

That is all.

I watched the first two seasons of that show faithfully, and I think laughed three times. Terrible show, and nowhere on par with Family Guy.
Meanwhile, while I found King of the Hill slightly entertaining at times, I thought it had run its course years ago.
I'd like to see him kind of focus on directing. Beavis and Butthead Do America was quite good, I think, but Office Space and Idiocracy were classics.

WVRed
11-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Have to agree on that. It's nothing more than a spinoff of Family Guy, which was a spinoff on the Simpsons. I just cannot watch it at all.

Don't get the Simpsons spinoff. Matt Groening was behind the development of Futurama, but Family Guy was all Seth MacFarlane.

As for American Dad, I would be perfectly happy if they found a way to work Roger into Family Guy and just cancel American Dad. Roger is the only one on that show I can stand.

GoReds33
11-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Don't get the Simpsons spinoff. Matt Groening was behind the development of Futurama, but Family Guy was all Seth MacFarlane.

As for American Dad, I would be perfectly happy if they found a way to work Roger into Family Guy and just cancel American Dad. Roger is the only one on that show I can stand.I know it's often debated if it's a spinoff. I see the differences, but I see the similarities aswell. Both have a mother, father, and three children. In both, the father hangs out at a bar. That's not to mention how many episodes look like the other's. IIRC, both have had an episode where they become their own country.

Hap
11-01-2008, 08:49 PM
http://www.jumptheshark.com/topic/King-Hill/King-Hill-General-Comments/1100

WVRed
11-01-2008, 09:23 PM
http://www.jumptheshark.com/topic/King-Hill/King-Hill-General-Comments/1100

Taking away from the website:

I did agree with one of the writers who said that King of the Hill jumped the shark when Cotton died. IMO, he was one of the best characters on the show. He reminds me a lot of my grandfather.

I also thought there was never any progression with the characters. The Simpsons is one of the few shows that is able to do this due to everybody staying the same age. I started losing interest about the time Joseph grew about a foot and Connie and Bobby broke up.

Another point from the website. The Cleveland Show will be debuting next spring I believe. That will give Sunday night to Family Guy, American Dad, and the Cleveland Show. Basically, Seth MacFarlane will be dominating Sunday nights.

KronoRed
11-01-2008, 11:22 PM

That is all.

It's not horrible but it and Family Guy never seem to have a good episode on the same week, if one is good the other will be a stink bomb.

Tom Servo
11-02-2008, 12:16 AM
I always had the same opinion as former Simpsons executive producer Mike Reiss about King of the Hill "If I didn't write comedy, I'd write for King of the Hill".

Danny Serafini
11-02-2008, 12:33 AM
I really don't know how King of the Hill lasted three years, let alone 13. It just isn't funny.

Caveat Emperor
11-02-2008, 03:20 AM
I really don't know how King of the Hill lasted three years, let alone 13. It just isn't funny.

Yup.

I can safely say I've never laughed watching an episode of "King of the Hill." More power to them, though - they made it 13 years in a business where success is making it a full 13 episodes without a cancellation.

Can't say I'll miss the show, though. Hopefully Mike Judge will continue making movies -- Office Space and Idiocracy are both genius and I'd like to see more movies like them.

Degenerate39
11-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Can't say I'm disappointed. It wasn't near as good as the Simpsons, Family Guy, or American Dad.

Stephenk29
11-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Can't say I'm disappointed. It wasn't near as good as the Simpsons, Family Guy, or American Dad.

ahh

American Dad is just a very bad Family Guy I think. The characters are all the same, just with different names.

camisadelgolf
11-02-2008, 01:42 PM
King of the Hill is my all-time favorite show, and I'm really saddened by this. I think half the humor is too subtle for the public to thoroughly enjoy. Oh, well. Maybe this will give Mike Judge a chance to focus on movies. I really enjoy the ones he's made.

redsfan30
11-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Dang ole'....bummer man.

:(

guttle11
11-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Yep.

Way back in season one, Cotton's first episode...one of the funniest episodes of animated TV of all time. Criminally underrated show, IMO.

redsfanmia
11-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I enjoy it and will be sad to see it go.

Johnny Footstool
11-03-2008, 10:47 AM
King of the Hill is my all-time favorite show, and I'm really saddened by this. I think half the humor is too subtle for the public to thoroughly enjoy.

Yep. It's humor was character-based, in a time when people expect animated shows to be full of pop-culture references and crazy non-sequiturs.

Anyone who says they never laughed at the show never saw Peggy trying to teach Spanish.

TRF
11-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Yup.

I can safely say I've never laughed watching an episode of "King of the Hill." More power to them, though - they made it 13 years in a business where success is making it a full 13 episodes without a cancellation.

Can't say I'll miss the show, though. Hopefully Mike Judge will continue making movies -- Office Space and Idiocracy are both genius and I'd like to see more movies like them.

I live in Texas.

King of the Hill is spot on.

RichRed
11-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I liked King of the Hill but I watched it last night for the first time in a while and thought it was pretty unfunny.

Some great lines from that show though.

"Bobby, if you weren't my son, I'd hug ya."

OldRightHander
11-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I never laughed once while watching it...but I never watched it.

Stephenk29
11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Cotton was the man. Well in a funny sort of way. Has anyone else ever thought Peggy was just about as annoying a person there is in life?

Chip R
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I loved Dale. Especially the time when Peggy was teaching the sex-ed class at the school

"You don't know who I am but I know where you live and if you teach that..."

Ltlabner
11-03-2008, 07:26 PM
I loved Dale. Especially the time when Peggy was teaching the sex-ed class at the school

"You don't know who I am but I know where you live and if you teach that..."

I didn't watch too often but Dale was the only one that made me laugh.

"Names will be exchanged...reputations put on the line!"

redsfan1966
11-03-2008, 07:38 PM
My thing with "King of the Hill" is--why is it animated??? It seemed to be just a regular sitcom--only animated. At least American Dad and Family Guy have whacked out situations that can only be done in animation....

WVRed
11-04-2008, 08:25 AM
For those who may not have watched Beavis and Butthead, Hank Hill was based off of Mr. Anderson.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/MrAnderson.jpg

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/jacobeatscake/hank-hill.jpg

Boomhauer and Cotton were what made that show watchable anyways.

Unassisted
11-04-2008, 09:28 AM
ABC might pick it up.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/11/could-king-of-t.html

Rojo
11-04-2008, 02:58 PM
American Dad is probably the most daring right now and the funniest.

King of the Hill grew stale about 10 years ago.

PedroBourbon
11-06-2008, 08:06 PM
What an awesome show. RIP Hank Hill. Loved him as Mr. Anderson on Beavis and Butthead before he "hit is big." Will have to get the DVD collection when it's out in it's entirety

Joseph
11-06-2008, 10:37 PM
American Dad is probably the most daring right now and the funniest.

Did I miss 'Say the opposite of the truth day'?

guttle11
11-06-2008, 11:39 PM

For real. I like Roger and Klaus, but every other character completely annoys me.

George Anderson
11-07-2008, 12:41 AM
I bet Dale believes it was the government who ordered the show cancelled. :D

Rojo
11-07-2008, 02:51 PM

It falls right after "opposite of clever" day.

KronoRed
11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Yeesh people are picky about their animated shows.

Of course all are inferior to Futurama

:D

BRM
11-07-2008, 02:53 PM

:thumbup:

MrCinatit
11-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Well, now you are stating the obvious :D

Rojo
11-07-2008, 07:25 PM

Agreed on Futurama.

Handofdeath
11-08-2008, 06:55 PM
I live in Texas.

King of the Hill is spot on.

Absolutely true. "I'm going to grow up without anyone to love, and die friendless and alone like Weird Al Yankovic."

How can anyone not love the show?