PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to the Kentucky Wildcats Football Team

WMR
11-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Kentucky became bowl-eligible today after their win at Mississippi State.

In a year where Kentucky is clearly rebuilding after losing 98% of their offense to the NFL/graduation, I said going in that going to a bowl this season would make Kentucky's season a "success."

This will be Kentucky's 3rd consecutive bowl appearance... something that they have not done in a LONG time.

PedroBourbon
11-01-2008, 06:03 PM
That was an ugly game. A win is a win, but man is this team tough to watch. I'm surprised Mike Hartline even got to play after his comments he made to the media about getting benched.

WMR
11-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Totally agree on both points: this team is tough to watch and I was also VERY surprised to see Hartline get into the game.

I figured it would take an injury to Cobb b/f he would get anywhere close to sniffing the field after his idiotic comments to the press this week throwing his teammates under the bus.

Spring~Fields
11-01-2008, 07:55 PM

This will be Kentucky's 3rd consecutive bowl appearance... something that they have not done in a LONG time.

http://re3.yt-thm-a01.yimg.com/image/25/f11/84070273

:notworthy

Kentucky 2-3 6-3

DATE OPPONENT W-L (CONF) RESULT
8/31 @ Louisville 1-0 (0-0) W 27-2
9/06 Norfolk State 2-0 (0-0) W 38-3
9/13 Middle Tennessee State 3-0 (0-0) W 20-14
9/27 Western Kentucky 4-0 (0-0) W 41-3
10/04 @ No. 2 Alabama 4-1 (0-1) L 17-14
10/11 South Carolina 4-2 (0-2) L 24-17
10/18 Arkansas 5-2 (1-2) W 21-20
10/25 @ No. 10 Florida 5-3 (1-3) L 63-5
11/01 @ Mississippi State 6-3 (2-3) W 14-13

jmac
11-02-2008, 10:03 AM

In a year where Kentucky is clearly rebuilding after losing 98% of their offense to the NFL/graduation, I said going in that going to a bowl this season would make Kentucky's season a "success."

I agree totally with you WMR.
One extra thought on that: If this team wins just one of last 3 games, they will finish with same number of regular season victories (7) as last year.
So yes..very good for UK in offensive rebuilding year with help on the way at QB.
:beerme:

Side note: yesterday I couldnt help but think that Hartline to Brook's is Uk's version of Patterson to Baker !

WMR
11-02-2008, 10:14 AM
My bold prediction: Cobb goes into Knoxville and shows UT and Fat Phil just how bad they screwed up by not seriously recruiting him. :D

roundboy22
11-02-2008, 11:26 AM
As much as I hope it will happen, the bowl game is not a given just yet. UK is only bowl eligible. If we lose our last three in a row, I don't think we will be going bowling. I hope I am wrong though. One more win will lock it up Imo.

Boston Red
11-02-2008, 04:24 PM
You'd never believe that UK could win 8 games without beating a single good team, but they've got a shot at doing that this year. Sure as hell beats losing to bad teams, which Kentucky did a lot of in the past, so congrats to them.

cumberlandreds
11-02-2008, 08:10 PM
UK has only gone bowling three years in a row once before. 1949,50 and 51 when Bear Bryant was on the sidelines. The SEC has nine bowl tie-ins this year so its all but a done deal they will be somewhere in late December. It may be in the Papa Johns Bowl or in Shreveport,La but it will be a bowl and that's better than not going anywhere and a step forward for the program.
I was very suprised to Hartline play too. I really didn't think he would see the field agian this season after his comments. I know I don't think I would have played him anymore this season.

Sea Ray
11-05-2008, 08:53 PM
http://re3.yt-thm-a01.yimg.com/image/25/f11/84070273

:notworthy

Kentucky 2-3 6-3

DATE OPPONENT W-L (CONF) RESULT
8/31 @ Louisville 1-0 (0-0) W 27-2
9/06 Norfolk State 2-0 (0-0) W 38-3
9/13 Middle Tennessee State 3-0 (0-0) W 20-14
9/27 Western Kentucky 4-0 (0-0) W 41-3
10/04 @ No. 2 Alabama 4-1 (0-1) L 17-14
10/11 South Carolina 4-2 (0-2) L 24-17
10/18 Arkansas 5-2 (1-2) W 21-20
10/25 @ No. 10 Florida 5-3 (1-3) L 63-5
11/01 @ Mississippi State 6-3 (2-3) W 14-13

With a schedule like that all UK has to do is "luck" into 2 wins in the SEC and they're bowl eligible. Louisville was horrible in August. They're probably better now but they didn't know what to do with their new coach as of 8-31. And luck into wins is exactly what UK did with Ark and MSU. A 6-6 record gets a coach fired in Knoxville. In Kentucky they get a thread dedicated to praising them.

WMR
11-05-2008, 08:54 PM
With a schedule like that all UK has to do is "luck" into 2 wins in the SEC and they're bowl eligible. Louisville was horrible in August. They're probably better now but they didn't know what to do with their new coach as of 8-31. And luck into wins is exactly what UK did with Ark and MSU. A 6-6 record gets a coach fired in Knoxville. In Kentucky they get a thread dedicated to praising them.

This isn't your first year following the SEC, right?

I can't see why else a UT fan would come into a Kentucky football thread and make such a silly post.

When in a down-year for KENTUCKY football the team will STILL go to a bowl, as well as being the FIRST time they have gone bowling three years in a row since 1950, YES, that is worthy of praise.

KENTUCKY. FOOTBALL. (Yes, KENTUCKY)

And blaming Kentucky for Louisville sucking in August is simply poor trolling technique. :D "Lucking into SEC wins" LOL :laugh:

jmac
11-05-2008, 10:18 PM

I can't see why else a UT fan would come into a Kentucky football thread and make such a silly post.

When in a down-year for KENTUCKY football the team will STILL go to a bowl, as well as being the FIRST time they have gone bowling three years in a row since 1950, YES, that is worthy of praise.

And blaming Kentucky for Louisville sucking in August is simply poor trolling technique. :D "Lucking into SEC wins" LOL :laugh:

Louisville just lost to Syracuse. :rolleyes:
They have not improved much if any. Maybe and this is a guess, but give our defense alittle credit too.
Yeah we got torched by Fla who also scored 50+ against LSU and 49 against Georgia and is a team you wouldnt want to play right now.
KY didnt look impressive in wins against Miss State/Arkansas(which beat Tulsa last week) but we played the #1 team (now) to a 3 point game on their field and we didnt get drubbed against USC ( 7 point game we "could've" won with a play here or there).

We have not had much QB play at all and lost our top RB and top WR for season several games ago. Micah Johnson, Myron Pryor, Ricky Lumpkin to name a few have missed time from our defensive side.
So yes....good job Rich.
Point is as WMR basically said...this is KY Football and in a down year which we are ...we still have 6 wins and could get a couple more. I doubt we beat Georgia but Vandy and UT are winnable.
Our program is heading in right direction because rebuilding doesnt mean we are 3-8 or 4-7.

bucksfan2
11-06-2008, 08:06 AM

With the exception of Florida and Alabama the SEC has been a disappointment this season. Georgia has been the most over rated team this season and LSU has been struggling with a new QB. The rest of the SEC has been pretty average. I think Florida is the best team in the country but I can't get over their home loss to Old Miss.

WVRed
11-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't see us winning against Tennessee. It will be Fulmer's last game and they will be trying to send him out on a high note. The odds will be against us.

However, assuming we win both Vandy and UT, with 8 wins, what kind of bowl game could we be looking at?

cumberlandreds
11-06-2008, 08:41 AM
I don't see us winning against Tennessee. It will be Fulmer's last game and they will be trying to send him out on a high note. The odds will be against us.

However, assuming we win both Vandy and UT, with 8 wins, what kind of bowl game could we be looking at?

With 8 wins the Outback Bowl would be a good possiblity,maybe Cotton. I'm like you I don't think they will beat UT now. I read somewhere that UT is bringing back a bunch of Fullmer old players and they are basically going to have a big celebration for him before the game. Also if Ewe Tee wins the next two (Wyoming and Vandy) they will be playing for a bowl.

Boston Red
11-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I would think UK would want to steer clear of the Cotton Bowl. They could end up matched up against a Texas Tech or an Oklahoma State, and I think they'd prefer to avoid that. The Outback Bowl would be much better. Ohio State and Penn State are the only two Big Ten teams worth a damn, and UK likely wouldn't get either of them at the Outback Bowl. Right now, CBS Sportsline projects Northwestern to the Outback Bowl. THAT would be a nice, cushy New Year's Day opponent!

jmac
11-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I read the other day where one bowl official (cant remember which one) said they were in talks with a Kentucky vs Miami matchup.
I am sure a win or loss here and there could change that however.

Blimpie
11-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I predict the Liberty Bowl.

Sea Ray
11-06-2008, 02:02 PM

How can you tell a down year when a peak year means a Music City Bowl bid?

jmac
11-06-2008, 04:19 PM
How can you tell a down year when a peak year means a Music City Bowl bid?

That is no longer a "peak" year my friend ! ;)

Sea Ray
11-06-2008, 06:57 PM
That is no longer a "peak" year my friend ! ;)

If that's not a peak year then what is? That's all I can see in recent history

jmac
11-06-2008, 08:38 PM
If that's not a peak year then what is? That's all I can see in recent history

Peak is when you reach the pinnacle of what you can accomlish.
Johnny Cueto's peak isnt 9 wins simply because he won 9 last year (recent history)
Recent History shows this team in dissarray and under NCAA sanctions.
Recent history shows a team that went to the MCB the last two years coming off probation.
The UK football program didnt reach a peak but rather went to the same bowl two years in a row.

I think you know that but if not...whatever.

Sea Ray
11-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Peak is when you reach the pinnacle of what you can accomlish.
Johnny Cueto's peak isnt 9 wins simply because he won 9 last year (recent history)
Recent History shows this team in dissarray and under NCAA sanctions.
Recent history shows a team that went to the MCB the last two years coming off probation.
The UK football program didnt reach a peak but rather went to the same bowl two years in a row.

I think you know that but if not...whatever.

Yeah, you make my point beautifully. Kentucky football has had 10 straight "down" years by your definition. You've got to have a peak year every now and then in order to define a down year.

There's no comparing a football program with a baseball pitcher. If Johnny Cueto goes Mark Fydrich on us then yes 9 wins is his peak, but since football programs don't have defined careers like young pitchers there's no comparison.

Hearing Kentucky fans defend their football program is hilarious! Please, keep it coming...

jmac
11-07-2008, 11:50 AM
You've got to have a peak year every now and then in order to define a down year. .

My response to this is : You dont have a " peak " year every now and then !

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now continue trolling...........I'm done with you :beerme:

jmac
11-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Here are a few comments about Wesley Woodyard after last nights game vs Browns:

These are 3 different posts from a bronco fan board :

Did Wesley step up or what! That kind of intensity reminded me of Al Wilson. He was flying all over the field, and was wrapping up on tackles!

We need that kind of leadership going foward from our linebackers. You can't say enough for those guys last night. Three non-starters at the start of the season turned it on in the second half. Even Louis Green showed why he has been a staple on special teams with some great plays.

Our patchwork linebacking core did pretty well last night. I would just like to give credit when credit is due. It's easy to be negitive when things go wrong (all the threads the last three weeks) and when something great like this happens, we should admire it. GO BRONCOS

He settled in nicely. I loved the fire he brought, getting in Lewis' face a couple times. It seemed to rub off on other players as well. Its about time our defense showed some attitude and nastyness. Woodyard did a great job last night. We still have alot of holes to fill in the front 7

I was about to start a post about this guy. He looked great last night and really stepped up his game.

WMR
11-07-2008, 08:54 PM
The Bengals really screwed up by letting that guy get away. He is going to have a nice NFL career.

Sea Ray
11-08-2008, 09:44 AM
My response to this is : You dont have a " peak " year every now and then !

Spoken like a true Kentucky fan. Fans of real football schools know that teams do have peak years every now and then but I understand why you wouldn't know any better.

I'll put it another way. If Tennessee beats Ky this month and becomes Bowl eligible nobody's going to start a thread saying "Congratulations to the UT football team".

Learn the definition of an open forum. This is not a Kentucky Wildcat site. If you don't want dissenting opinion go to a rah, rah site setup only for UK fans.

jmac
11-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Spoken like a true Kentucky fan. Fans of real football schools know that teams do have peak years every now and then but I understand why you wouldn't know any better.

I'll put it another way. If Tennessee beats Ky this month and becomes Bowl eligible nobody's going to start a thread saying "Congratulations to the UT football team".

Learn the definition of an open forum. This is not a Kentucky Wildcat site. If you don't want dissenting opinion go to a rah, rah site setup only for UK fans.

I will respond this one more time and THEN I am thru with you.

1: Peak- "the maximum point, degree, or volume of anything"

Now unlike your mighty Vols....KY hasnt won any championships in football lately so therefore no peak has been reached. duh ! :rolleyes:

2: I guess players have Career years every year or so too, right ? :D

3: "If Tennessee ..becomes Bowl eligible "

You're Hilarious ! Thanks for the fun ! :beerme:

paintmered
11-08-2008, 01:11 PM

What he said. And that goes for any non-Reds team. That said, the rules against baiting others still apply.

jesusfan
11-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Dang! Tough loss today.... 42-38 UGA... We really should've won that game! Randall Cobb is a true STAR, How in the world did Fulmer let him get away from Tenn?

jmac
11-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Dang! Tough loss today.... 42-38 UGA... We really should've won that game! Randall Cobb is a true STAR, How in the world did Fulmer let him get away from Tenn?
Tough loss but it gives rejuvenated hope for last two games. Cobb was super and Hartline stayed on bench.
They started using that WV type offense the last half of the Miss State game and then today , I think they have finally found an offense ! Wish Lindley hadnt missed most of the second half.
Hope he is back next week.

Sea Ray
11-08-2008, 06:34 PM
I will respond this one more time and THEN I am thru with you.

1: Peak- "the maximum point, degree, or volume of anything"

Now unlike your mighty Vols....KY hasnt won any championships in football lately so therefore no peak has been reached.

2: I guess players have Career years every year or so too, right ?

3: "If Tennessee ..becomes Bowl eligible "

You're Hilarious ! Thanks for the fun ! :beerme:

OK, so by your definition the Temple football team is still looking for its peak. Or are you saying that UK football has about 50 down years for every peak year? No every team has a few peak years. If your definition of a peak year is a championship then it's so infrequent that it's not even worth discussing for most teams.

My definition obviously differs from yours but I think every 5 years or so a school deserves to be evaluated in a cycle as to peak and down years.

If this is so much fun, why bow out?

Sea Ray
11-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Tough loss but it gives rejuvenated hope for last two games. Cobb was super and Hartline stayed on bench.
They started using that WV type offense the last half of the Miss State game and then today , I think they have finally found an offense ! Wish Lindley hadnt missed most of the second half.
Hope he is back next week.

You certainly ought to beat Tennessee this year. We saw today how much they wanted to play for Fulmer. Forget Fulmer Day Thanksgiving weekend. If Tennessee's string of wins over UK doesn't end this year then something's seriously wrong in Lexington. (We already know something's seriously wrong in Knoxville).

jmac
11-08-2008, 07:09 PM
OK, so by your definition the Temple football team is still looking for its peak. Or are you saying that UK football has about 50 down years for every peak year? No every team has a few peak years. If your definition of a peak year is a championship then it's so infrequent that it's not even worth discussing for most teams.

My definition obviously differs from yours but I think every 5 years or so a school deserves to be evaluated in a cycle as to peak and down years.

If this is so much fun, why bow out?

I got in trouble ! :D

WVRed
11-08-2008, 09:49 PM
You certainly ought to beat Tennessee this year. We saw today how much they wanted to play for Fulmer. Forget Fulmer Day Thanksgiving weekend. If Tennessee's string of wins over UK doesn't end this year then something's seriously wrong in Lexington. (We already know something's seriously wrong in Knoxville).

I had given Tennessee the edge in that matchup, but given todays titanic struggle with Wyoming, im changing my pick.

Look, Kentucky in football isn't on the same level as Tennessee. I know two Vol fans here in West Virginia, one of which is an alum who makes the commute to Lexington or Knoxville every year to watch Kentucky-Tennessee. These people bleed orange in football like Kentucky fans bleed blue when it comes to basketball.

My point is, what might be acceptable for you as a Tennessee fan in football is different throughout the SEC. Georgia and Florida might see things the same, but you have schools like Kentucky and even Vanderbilt(baseball) whos focus is elsewhere. If we can even make a bowl bid, it's a great year, especially when this year is supposed to be a rebuilding year.

I guarantee when it comes to basketball that Tennessee fans are willing to give Bruce Pearl a break if he reaches the NCAA tournament and maybe advances to the Sweet 16. "Ten-loss Tubby" was ran out of town for that.

jmac
11-09-2008, 09:39 AM
I had given Tennessee the edge in that matchup, but given todays titanic struggle with Wyoming, im changing my pick.

Look, Kentucky in football isn't on the same level as Tennessee. I know two Vol fans here in West Virginia, one of which is an alum who makes the commute to Lexington or Knoxville every year to watch Kentucky-Tennessee. These people bleed orange in football like Kentucky fans bleed blue when it comes to basketball.

My point is, what might be acceptable for you as a Tennessee fan in football is different throughout the SEC. Georgia and Florida might see things the same, but you have schools like Kentucky and even Vanderbilt(baseball) whos focus is elsewhere. If we can even make a bowl bid, it's a great year, especially when this year is supposed to be a rebuilding year.
I guarantee when it comes to basketball that Tennessee fans are willing to give Bruce Pearl a break if he reaches the NCAA tournament and maybe advances to the Sweet 16. "Ten-loss Tubby" was ran out of town for that.

I used to joke with other KY fans that we (UK fans ) are simple :
" 6 wins and a bowl " fans.
Give us that and we will be happy. Of course after a little success, you notice yourself wanting 7or 8 though I havent even begun to think beyond that .
Now...I have added "BEAT LOUISVILLE" every year to that also. :p:

Good post.You nailed it.

Blimpie
11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Here are a few comments about Wesley Woodyard after last nights game vs Browns:

These are 3 different posts from a bronco fan board :

Did Wesley step up or what! That kind of intensity reminded me of Al Wilson. He was flying all over the field, and was wrapping up on tackles!

We need that kind of leadership going foward from our linebackers. You can't say enough for those guys last night. Three non-starters at the start of the season turned it on in the second half. Even Louis Green showed why he has been a staple on special teams with some great plays.

Our patchwork linebacking core did pretty well last night. I would just like to give credit when credit is due. It's easy to be negitive when things go wrong (all the threads the last three weeks) and when something great like this happens, we should admire it. GO BRONCOS

He settled in nicely. I loved the fire he brought, getting in Lewis' face a couple times. It seemed to rub off on other players as well. Its about time our defense showed some attitude and nastyness. Woodyard did a great job last night. We still have alot of holes to fill in the front 7

I was about to start a post about this guy. He looked great last night and really stepped up his game. Just an FYI, but I was at the UK vs. Georgia game yesterday and Woodyard was introduced to the crowd in between quarters (during a TV timeout).

The roar he received from the crowd was pretty impressive.

Sea Ray
11-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Exactly. You get it :beerme:

Why some of the other UK fans don't is beyond me.

WMR
11-09-2008, 03:30 PM
If we can even make a bowl bid, it's a great year, especially when this year is supposed to be a rebuilding year.

Awesome post, WV. You nailed it. Don't know why some people have such difficulty comprehending the definition of a rebuilding year. :thumbup: A rebuilding year for Kentucky used to mean 3 wins instead of their usual 4-5 in an "up" year. :D

The program is trending upward. That was, has been, and always will be the point of this thread. Coach Brooks has laid the foundation and when Joker Phillips takes the reins he will continue the ascendancy of Kentucky football while becoming the 2nd black head coach in the SEC. :)

By the way: I think we should send Fat Phil a nice fruit basket or something for not doing more to have Randall Cobb suited up in that ugly orange. :D

WVRed
11-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Exactly. You get it :beerme:

Why some of the other UK fans don't is beyond me.

Wow, this might be a rarity, getting both sides to agree.

You guys need to come to the Peanut Gallery, lol.

cumberlandreds
11-10-2008, 08:34 AM

The best thing to come out of this game is that UK has found their QB. Probably for the next three seasons too. This kid is very talented and has tons of heart. Fulmer really blew it with this kid. Speaking of Fulmer,I feel a lot better about UK's chances in Knoxville. Losing to a bad Wyoming team just shows me that Fulmer's players really don't like him and have quit. If UK can get up early on UT they may win big. But I will gladly take a one point win though.

joshnky
11-10-2008, 02:28 PM
The best thing to come out of this game is that UK has found their QB. Probably for the next three seasons too. This kid is very talented and has tons of heart. Fulmer really blew it with this kid. Speaking of Fulmer,I feel a lot better about UK's chances in Knoxville. Losing to a bad Wyoming team just shows me that Fulmer's players really don't like him and have quit. If UK can get up early on UT they may win big. But I will gladly take a one point win though.

From Sunday's Courier Journal:

Brooks said he sees Cobb, who also has played wide receiver this season, as a quarterback in the "short term" but said he still has strides to make at that position.

It sounds like the coach doesn't agree with you. I know the recruiting class is heavy on QBs but they'll be green and one is injured. Surely, he doesn't think Hartline will be the QB next year?

cumberlandreds
11-10-2008, 02:48 PM
From Sunday's Courier Journal:

It sounds like the coach doesn't agree with you. I know the recruiting class is heavy on QBs but they'll be green and one is injured. Surely, he doesn't think Hartline will be the QB next year?

I hope he's just blowing smoke so Hartline will stick around to have an experienced QB in case of injury to Cobb. Cobb is making strides in leaps and bounds. If he continues Brooks will no choice but to keep him at QB.

Boston Red
11-10-2008, 03:41 PM
I think he might be blowing smoke to keep his recruits in the fold.

WMR
11-10-2008, 05:26 PM
I think he might be blowing smoke to keep his recruits in the fold.

Great point.

WMR
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Cobb ends up playing at WR for a significant portion of his UK career... wherever he does play, I do know this: that kid will win a bunch of games for Kentucky before he leaves Lexington.

As a true Freshman he really showed me something against Georgia. I love how he was mad at himself after the INT to seal the win for Georgia. Even though he had absolutely nothing to be ashamed of--he was the only reason UK was within 4 points of Georgia in the first place--the kid still wanted more. He's a fierce competitor and I love that.

WVRed
11-10-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't see Cobb as a QB for the long term. He can do it, and he is definitely an up and coming player, but Morgan Newton and Ryan Mossakowski are going to definitely be complicating things next year. I believe Newton can make a bigger impact than Cobb right now, and you will see more of Cobb at wideout.

Just a hunch.

WVRed
11-15-2008, 10:14 PM
THREE times roughing the punter tonight. All three by true freshman.

Tennessee may have a chance next week.

WMR
11-15-2008, 11:05 PM
I can't remember seeing a football game with more boneheaded penalties than tonight.

Just utter stupidity from the Kentucky players tonight. Wow.

KronoRed
11-15-2008, 11:44 PM
You guys are missing the big news from this game..

Vandy is bowl eliglble for the first time since 1982!

jesusfan
11-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Wow... Bad weekend for my Kentucky Wildcats... I'm glad I didn't make the trip to Lexington on Friday like I was planning to. We beat ourselves tonight.

WVRed
11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I can't remember seeing a football game with more boneheaded penalties than tonight.

Just utter stupidity from the Kentucky players tonight. Wow.

I thought even though it was a home game, the calls from the officials were in favor of Vandy somewhat.

Methinks the SEC wanted another bowl-eligible team.

WMR
11-16-2008, 05:09 PM
I agree that the calls favored Vandy. Interesting take. I could certainly see that... Makes sense; very pragmatic.

dabvu2498
11-16-2008, 05:11 PM
assuming we win vandy You know what happens when you assume.

WMR
11-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Well Looky Here

WMR
11-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks for gracing us with your presence, mr. dabvu.

Figures you'd show up after a Vandy win over Kentucky. :laugh:

dabvu2498
11-16-2008, 05:25 PM
You know us vandy fans. Always front-running.

Boston Red
11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I agree that the calls favored Vandy. Interesting take. I could certainly see that... Makes sense; very pragmatic.

The ref who made that holding call when Vandy's QB was rolling for about 40 yards to seemingly put the game away with 7:30 to play must not have gotten the memo. Must have been the same guy who missed the obvious offensive pass interference call on UK shortly thereafter.

Not saying Vandy didn't get some calls. But to think there's some sort of SEC conspiracy to get Vandy bowl eligible is just, well, silly.

WVRed
11-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Not saying Vandy didn't get some calls. But to think there's some sort of SEC conspiracy to get Vandy bowl eligible is just, well, silly.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Last years SEC tournament in basketball was a prime example. Some of the calls in the games that Georgia played were highly questionable.

Boston Red
11-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Last year's SEC Tournament was just goofy after the tornado. I can't see where there was a conspiracy in Georgia's favor. Georgia just got hot at the right time (and nearly took down a Xavier in the Tournament that was probably as good as any SEC team last year).

cumberlandreds
11-17-2008, 07:28 AM
I thought even though it was a home game, the calls from the officials were in favor of Vandy somewhat.

Methinks the SEC wanted another bowl-eligible team.

The calls were all warranted. The three roughing the kicker penalties were very blantant and had to be called. I thought the roughing the passer penaly on Micah Johnson was OK too. A few years ago that wouldn't have been called but you can thank the NFL and their putting a dress on the QB for type of hit being called a penalty. This was just a poorly coached weekend by both the football and basketball coaches at UK. Very tough weekend for all UK fans.

WVRed
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Pretty good game so far.

Tied at 19 so far. It looked like ECU had the game in check and Kentucky ran the ball back for a TD to start the second half.

jmac
01-02-2009, 08:44 PM
The defense and special teams stepped it up. Tony Dixon did super job as well. Stats dont show the job he did running the ball tonight.
7-6 sounds alot better than 6-7. ;)

BTW......super stiffarm by Jenkins on the touchdown.
UK also won the rushing battle and finished 6-0 for the season when rushing for the most yards.

UKFlounder
01-02-2009, 08:54 PM
It's amazing that I've lived long enough to see UK football win 3 straight bowl games. I know there are 100 dozen bowls these days and that being 6-6 after the regular season isn't so great, blah, blah, blah, but I only started watching UK football in about 1990 or so and went 15 years with 0 bowl wins, so to see 3 straight - wow. Just wonderful for this program.

Blimpie
01-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Some thoughts to summarize tonight's surprising victory by UK:

ESPN PBP Announcer Mark Jones is not merely a tool--he is a box of tools.

Called UK CB Trevard Lindley "Lindsey" (x 3 times)
Called UK Defensive Coordinator Steve Brown "Greg"
Called ECU's punter "Masthay"
Called UK DE Myron Pryor "Marion"
Called UK LB Micah Johnson a "Defensive Lineman"
When UK QB Hartline threw his first (and only) INT, Jones remarked that it was his 2nd INT on the night
When UK attempted their first extra point, it was blocked by ECU--yet, Jones indicated that it was UK's second failed attempt (In actuality, it was ECU who also had their first PAT blocked).

Those were just the slip-ups that I caught. Overall, he is a snore and seemed completely unprepared for the matchup. Instead of mentioning things like, say, that Hartline was struggling with the flu and taking fluids throughout the game--he kept going on and on about the importance of 'momentum.' It was almost like he just heard of the concept and could not wait to share it with everybody.

Big 10 officials mailed it in tonight

UK LB Micah Johnson should have been nailed for a blatant pass interference in the 4th quarter
The end Referee let two separate ECU kick returners go down to their knees on the 1 yard line. The game was tied in both instances and neither player was more than 10-15 feet away.
In the second half alone, there were 4 different times when they allowed the keeper to mismanage the game clock. Only twice was it corrected by the replay booth.

All told, it was a pretty exciting bowl game. Once UK remembered how to tackle in the second half, it was nice to see them dominate the skill positions with some 3rd string defenders. Once ECU got behind late, the D-line got to pin their ears back and make life miserable for Pickney (who is a nice QB IMO). Too bad Jenkins knocked his molars back through his neck on that stiffarm!

Congrats to the Big Blue...

George Foster
01-02-2009, 10:33 PM
The head ref was an idiot, to be nice. For him to miss the calls he did should cost him his job. It should be a rule that once you are over 65...your have to retire. You can't keep up with the college game as it is today.

The ESPN camera work was pretty good and showed all of his screw-ups. The "knee touching the ground" on those two kick-offs by UK happened 5 feet from him. The camera showed him looking right at the player with his knee touching the ground and he missed both calls. The second call was from the booth, not him. horrible ref.

For UK to win 7 games this year with no SEC caliber offensive players just shows you how good our defense was this year...minus the Florida game;)

RBA
01-03-2009, 12:11 AM
SEC caliber offensive players? Like on Alabama who got schooled by Utah?

WVRed
01-03-2009, 08:52 AM
SEC caliber offensive players? Like on Alabama who got schooled by Utah?

The exception, not the norm.

PedroBourbon
01-03-2009, 09:57 AM
That stiffarm and high step was the best. How many times did they replay that? It actually never got old, I laughed harder each time they replayed it!

jmac
01-03-2009, 11:39 AM
The exception, not the norm.
Exactly.
Alabama hasnt had much of an offense all season and imo were over-rated anyway.
Playmakers ? Look at Florida, Georgia and even Ole Miss who defeated TT.

Blimpie
01-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Exactly.
Playmakers ? Look at Florida, Georgia and even Ole Miss who defeated TT.Werd. Ole Miss finished the season with six straight wins and should not be trifled with in 2009.

Coach Nutt will have that team contending for the SEC West title next year.

Sea Ray
01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Exactly.
Playmakers ? Look at Florida, Georgia and even Ole Miss who defeated TT.

Alabama on Friday was not the Alabama of 2008. They clearly missed their stud O-lineman and the whole line had to be shuffled due to the loss of another O-lineman.

Overall the SEC has done themselves proud. In what I thought was a so-so year in the SEC, if FL beats OK then they'll clearly show themselves to be the superior football conference once again.