PDA

View Full Version : Maddux is new pitching coach for Texas

redsfandan
11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Source: Maddux is pitching coach
9:55 PM Sun, Nov 02, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Evan Grant E-mail News tips

The Rangers will name Mike Maddux pitching coach perhaps as early as Monday, a source with knowledge of the process said Sunday night.

GM Jon Daniels confirmed only that the Rangers had been in touch with Maddux this weekend. He did not confirm or deny the report. The Rangers were able to contact Maddux about the job officially on Saturday, a day after his contract with Milwaukee expired. Maddux, 47, has been the Brewers pitching coach the last six seasons. Milwaukee had extended him an offer to remain as new manager Ken Macha's pitching coach, but Maddux refrained from signing anything until talking to the Rangers.

Maddux, the oider brother of Greg Maddux, is likely to cite Nolan Ryan's presence as a reason for electing to leave for the Rangers. Maddux's first job as a coach was with the Ryan-owned Double-A Round Rock Express in 2000.

In Maddux's first year in Milwaukee, the Brewers posted a 5.02 ERA and ranked 13th in the NL, but by this season, they had improved to 3.85, which ranked second in the league.

UPDATE: Brewers GM Doug Melvin is confirming that Maddux is coming to the Rangers. Melvin told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that the Rangers "overwhelmed" Maddux with a multi-year deal. I have no details on the contract, but you can be pretty certain Maddux will receive at least three years.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/11/source-maddux-is-pitching-coach.html

i know some people think coaches ae overrated but imo this is a nice pickup for texas.

Orodle
11-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Coaches at the college level are definately not overrated....possibly at the pro level.

Emin3mShady07
11-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Well, I don't think that this will hurt the Rangers. They had the worst pitching staff in the majors and I think that Mike Maddux can at least improve that a little

Orodle
11-07-2008, 02:27 PM
my mistake...someone earlier in the day told me Texas the college....disregard my first reply