PDA

View Full Version : Phil Fulmer out in Volunteer-Land

Heath
11-03-2008, 12:56 PM
ESPN is reporting here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810)

WMR
11-03-2008, 12:57 PM
:lol:

cumberlandreds
11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Going to be interesting to see who Ewe Tee goes after to coach them. I wonder if Leach at Texas Tech would consider going to Knoxville?

MWM
11-03-2008, 01:46 PM
They should go after Rich Rodriguez. :evil:

In all seriousness, that's a pretty good job. I'd go after Skip Holtz if I were them. Maybe the guy from Oklahoma State as well (although, I think he's seen as kind of a whack job by many).

Heath
11-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I think Mike Leach is heading to Clemson. Just a gut feeling.

MWM
11-03-2008, 02:27 PM
What's funny is that Mike Leach has been doing this for years with the offense. Nothing this year is any different than any other year. The difference is that they finally have some guys who can play defense. And now all of a sudden Leach is a hot commodity. He's a great offensive mind, but beware of the guy who's been around a while then has one great year. I've seen it countless times in college sports, both basketball and football. A guy comes along and gets hot one year and becomes the next big thing in coaching. He's given a job too big for him and they wind up failing.

I'm not suggesting Leach is that guy. I'm just always leery of the guy who's all of sudden hot based on one season.

cincrazy
11-03-2008, 02:34 PM
A sad day IMO. Fulmer did a lot of good things for that university over the years. It's funny how a few bad seasons can erase over a decade of success, on and off the field. Fulmer was a Tennessee man, through and through. He oversaw Peyton's success, he led them to a national title, what more could you ask for? Unquestionably, it was time to go. He'd run his course. I just hope that after his final game in Neyland Stadium, those fans get on their feet and give that man one hell of a standing ovation as a going away gift, because he deserves at least that much.

WVRed
11-03-2008, 02:36 PM
:lol:

As a UK fan, i'm not really laughing.

Tennessee is to football what Kentucky is to basketball, and Fulmer has seriously overstayed his welcome in Knoxville. If anything, this reminds me a lot of Tubby Smith at Kentucky. Good coach, just not the right one for the program at this time.

My guess is Leach should be candidate numero uno. The question is would Tennessee fans who pride themselves on defense ever get used to seeing what is going on in Lubbock right now on the defensive side of the ball.

Unassisted
11-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Tennessee seems to be a patient athletic department. They had a lot of patience with Johnny Majors and a lot of patience with Fulmer. That should make it an appealing destination for a coach looking for a destination to end his career.

Hoosier Red
11-03-2008, 03:03 PM
The name I heard bandied about was Lane Kiffin. I think he's going to be coaching prospect numero uno next year.

Also, I wouldn't leave The other, other OSU(the one in Oklahoma City) with the money T. Boone Pickens is throwing around, I'd probably be pretty happy to live in OKC, catch some thunder games, and live it up.

Heath
11-03-2008, 03:09 PM

Tennessee is to football what Kentucky is to basketball, and Fulmer has seriously overstayed his welcome in Knoxville. If anything, this reminds me a lot of Tubby Smith at Kentucky. Good coach, just not the right one for the program at this time.

My guess is Leach should be candidate numero uno. The question is would Tennessee fans who pride themselves on defense ever get used to seeing what is going on in Lubbock right now on the defensive side of the ball.

Can you imagine Mike Leach & Bruce Pearl at the same school?

Woah. :eek:

Caveat Emperor
11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I've always wondered who would win in a pie-eating contest: Phil Fulmer or Toledo head coach Tom Amstutz.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/PhilFulmerCoachesHotSeat.jpg

v.

http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/amstutzx.jpg

WMR
11-03-2008, 03:18 PM

I just don't think much of Fulmer or the way he ran his program.

In addition to what you hear in the news, I've heard lots of stories from reliable souces that I won't get into here.

RANDY IN INDY
11-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I've always wondered who would win in a pie-eating contest: Phil Fulmer or Toledo head coach Tom Amstutz.

v.

Looks like they both may have plenty of time to match up in that contest.

WMR
11-03-2008, 03:24 PM

v.

It's not a contest w/o the coach from Kansas.

Blimpie
11-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I started hearing about this some on Friday. Rivals.com leaked a report that afternoon that said the South Carolina game was a "must win" for Fulmer. Personally, I don't think he would have been back next year even if they won out.

Jim Leavitt (coach from South Florida) would be an intriguing choice IMO...

WVRed
11-03-2008, 04:12 PM
On a side note, whether or not Fulmer gets a standing ovation at Neyland will depend on whether or not they win against Kentucky. I had Kentucky pegged to win that game and beat Tennessee for the first time since the 80's. With this likely being Fulmer's last game, I will probably be changing that.

WVRed
11-03-2008, 04:19 PM

In addition to what you hear in the news, I've heard lots of stories from reliable souces that I won't get into here.

Compared to Spurrier, i'd take my chances.

Other names being mentioned for the job are Butch Davis, Lane Kiffin(who will likely end up with a collegiate job somewhere), and the one making the least sense, Jon Gruden.

BTW, someone I would like to see get a shot at a head coaching job that I think could be successful is Steve Sarkisian from USC. He definitely has the pedigree developing QB's.

cumberlandreds
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Yes, just ask Johnny Majors what he thinks of Fulmer.

Sea Ray
11-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Looks like they both may have plenty of time to match up in that contest.

Toledo did beat Michigan this year. That oughta be good enough to keep a coach around awhile

Sea Ray
11-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I'd like to see UT keep the pro-set offense and not go to the flavor of month "spread." That will set them apart and set them apart in recruiting athletes who aspire to go to the NFL. I'd recruit to be the hardest hitting, physical team in the SEC.

Most of the coaches mentioned here are spread guys. I wonder if Bill Cowher would like the challenge of coaching the college game?

*BaseClogger*
11-03-2008, 05:57 PM

v.

You're missing three of the best pie-eaters in the heavy-weight class:

In this corner, we have the coach with the mustache that has witnessed a million cream-filled pastries, the Kansas Konsumer, Maaaaaaark Manginooooooo!

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/MarkMangino.jpg

In this corner, we have the Chesapeake whale, the Maryland Muncher, Raaaaaaalph Frieeeeeeedgen!

http://fulmersbelly.com/img/friedgen.jpg

And finally, the returning champion, Cheeseburger Charlie, Jabba the Weis, Frontbutt himself, the Pontiff of Pies, Chaaaaaarlie Weiiiiiis!

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/15/nd.weis/t1_weis.jpg

Ultimately, the best pie-eating coach is probably Pete Carroll of the welter-weight class. That guy can do nothing wrong and everything right...

Chip R
11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
I never thought I'd see the day where I thought Charlie Weis would look thin.

MWM
11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
BTW, someone I would like to see get a shot at a head coaching job that I think could be successful is Steve Sarkisian from USC. He definitely has the pedigree developing QB's.

Not really. Norm Chow was around for developing Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart. Actually, Leinart's heisman year was under Chow. Sarkisian's first real QB development project was John David Booty, who most would probably say was a disappointment. And now Mark Sanchez has been erratic at best. USC's offense under Sarkisian has probably even underachieved as a whole.

I'd be leery of grabbing a guy who's never coached anywhere but a team with superior talent. He's not going to have USC-level talent anywhere else. A guy like that needs to start smaller like Urban Meyer did.

BuckeyeRed27
11-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Ultimately, the best pie-eating coach is probably Pete Carroll of the welter-weight class. That guy can do nothing wrong and everything right...

Peter Carroll would beat the crap out of all of those guys in a pie eating contest. The next week however he would inexplicably lose to Tyrone Willingham.

kpresidente
11-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I live in Knoxville, and I'm telling you, if he didn't leave, the people around just might have killed him.

kpresidente
11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I think this guy takes the cake...or donuts, in this case....

http://tigersmack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/donuts.jpg

WVRed
11-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I think this guy takes the cake...or donuts, in this case....

http://tigersmack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/donuts.jpg

Don't forget the one who gave him his start.

http://blogs.phillynews.com/inquirer/mirrorimage/coach-mike-holgren.jpg

WVRed
11-03-2008, 10:09 PM
I live in Knoxville, and I'm telling you, if he didn't leave, the people around just might have killed him.

When they fly banners over Neyland Stadium saying "Fire Fulmer" you know you have worn out your welcome.

I'd like to see UT keep the pro-set offense and not go to the flavor of month "spread." That will set them apart and set them apart in recruiting athletes who aspire to go to the NFL. I'd recruit to be the hardest hitting, physical team in the SEC.

Most of the coaches mentioned here are spread guys. I wonder if Bill Cowher would like the challenge of coaching the college game?

Florida has that and they are spread, but I see your point.

They wouldn't really be "set apart" though. Georgia runs the same type of offense as Tennessee right now, but it depends on who you have at QB and be able to adapt the offense(DJ Shockley, a scrambler, was the QB before Matt Stafford).

The spread only works when you can get the right athletes to run it. To my knowledge, no spread QB has ever been successful in making the transition to the NFL. Alex Smith might as well be written off as a failure and it will likely be up to Tim Tebow to lead the next charge.

My guess is Mike Leach will be the top candidate for the Vols. He was an OC in the SEC before and if Tennessee can hire a good defensive coordinator to go along with him, the "Air Raid" offense could be coming to Tennessee.

Sea Ray
11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
They wouldn't really be "set apart" though. Georgia runs the same type of offense as Tennessee right now, but it depends on who you have at QB and be able to adapt the offense(DJ Shockley, a scrambler, was the QB before Matt Stafford).

The spread only works when you can get the right athletes to run it. To my knowledge, no spread QB has ever been successful in making the transition to the NFL. Alex Smith might as well be written off as a failure and it will likely be up to Tim Tebow to lead the next charge.

My guess is Mike Leach will be the top candidate for the Vols. He was an OC in the SEC before and if Tennessee can hire a good defensive coordinator to go along with him, the "Air Raid" offense could be coming to Tennessee.

My point is I don't want to compete with Florida and others for recruits. If they run a spread they'll look for a Tim Tebow and I can look for a Peyton Manning. The trend is for schools to switch to the spread like we're seeing at Michigan and Ohio State. I'd like for UT to buck that trend

WVRed
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
My point is I don't want to compete with Florida and others for recruits. If they run a spread they'll look for a Tim Tebow and I can look for a Peyton Manning. The trend is for schools to switch to the spread like we're seeing at Michigan and Ohio State. I'd like for UT to buck that trend

I'll give you Michigan.

Ohio State on the other hand plays to whatever players they get. Tressel will adjust if he has Peyton Manning or Terrelle Pryor. Rich Rodriguez on the other hand will do it only if he has to.

Unassisted
11-04-2008, 01:40 PM
http://www.tricitiessports.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=113&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=30007&wpage=&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1131&hn=tricitiessports&he=.com

What now for Tennessee? Kiffin or Cutcliffe Make the Most Sense
November 4, 2008

The inevitable finally happened on Monday. The other shoe was going to drop, it was just a question of when.

The fact Phillip Fulmer would not return as head coach was all but sealed the week before when Fulmer's team lost to Alabama, 29-9. That assured he would not win more than seven games at most. After that, it came down to when best to make the announcement. Had he kept winning, it likely would have come after the end of the regular season. But with homecoming set for Saturday, the 27-6 loss at South Carolina made it necessary for the announcement to be made Monday. Now, Fulmer can be honored for what he accomplished in the two final home games and on the road at Vanderbilt by fans in Middle Tennessee.

Phillip is a good man who did a good job. He just made some questionable hires and that cost him. I think, given time, Dave Clawson will wind up being a good coach on the Division I level. But from all appearances, he was not yet ready for prime time as Tennessee's offensive coordinator. It is one thing to have a game plan and it is another to have your team execute it and, quite frankly, the offense has been a disaster this season.

How do you return nine starters from a team that averaged 32.5 points and 401.5 yards per game total offense and wind up averaging just 17 points and 272 yards a game through nine games? The defense is better than last year. That is what makes a 3-6 start so hard to swallow. This was not supposed to happen. The offensive line returned intact and had allowed just four sacks all of last season. Through nine games, it has now allowed 18, including six against South Carolina on Saturday. It has been a total meltdown by the offensive team and the situation has grown worse from week-to-week. Flip-flopping the offensive line may have been the first mistake. The old saying is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'' Tennessee fixed it and it became broke.

But that's history now. The future is what folks will be focusing on and finding a replacement for Fulmer is job one.

One of the reasons in making the announcement now it to allow Tennessee to find someone earlier than later. The staff has a Top 10 recruiting class on the hook that got better over the weekend with a commitment from a big-time quarterback, Taj Boyd who as one time had been committed to West Virginia. the four-star prospect from Hampton, Va., told reporters Monday he still plans to come to Tennessee because he expects Tennessee to get a good coach.

Who? I think you can start with Lane Kiffin, the former Oakland Raiders coach who was uncermoniously dumped by Al Davis in September. He has no other responsibilities right now and would be available immediately. He was the recruiting coordinator at Southern Cal and helped bring in classes that made the Trojans a powerhouse. He is the son of Monte Kiffin, the Tampa Bay defensive coordinator who is regarded as one of the best defensive minds in pro football.

You can argue he does not have any college head coaching experience, but does coaching in the NFL count? I think it would. Bring him in, keep most of your coaches who have recruited the current class and you keep things intact.

David Cutcliffe would come, I think, if asked and would be a good choice. But he has it going at Duke and still has a chance at taking that school to a bowl game. From a timeline standpoint, that may not work out as well as a Kiffin hire. There are also those who would claim that hiring Cutcliffe would be holding onto the past, but when you consider it was the "good" past, that would not be so bad. Tennessee was 86-19 in seasons in which he was a member of the staff. That is a winning percentage in excess of 81 percent. The difference between what Tennessee did under Fulmer with and without Cutcliffe is dramatic. The Vols were 19-8 in 2006 and 2007 with him and 8-12 in 2005 and so far in 2008 without him. You could say he is the biggest difference between last year and this year. Cutcliffe has a no-buyout clause in his Duke contract that would let him come back at Tennessee's head coach without having to pay big money to do it, but it may be easier to stay at a school where you are a hero for winning four or five games as opposed to going to where you have to win 10 game for it to be considered a good season, and even that wouldn't satisfy some.

As far as others, here is why the others who have been mentioned don't make sense:

Texas Tech's Mike Leach: He may be playing for a national title in mid-January and wouldn't even be in position to interview or consider the UT job until mid-January, at the earliest. That is too late to hold the recruiting class.

Tampa Bay's John Gruden: Sure, he has bought land in Jefferson County but that is not surprising given his wife if from there. As good as he would be and as interested in the job as he might be, he may be coaching in the NFL playoffs until mid-January. He also would likely have a huge buyout to deal with and hasn't coached much at the college level -- other than being a former UT graduate assistant.

Former Pittsburgh Steeler coach Bill Cowher: His name has been mentioned in the past, but his time has been spent at the pro level and he hasn't had to recruit. It may be a risk to bring him in and hope he can. He also seems comfortable in his television job.

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State: Same as Leach. He may be playing in a BCS Bowl and the Cowboys have some big money ready to match anyone's offer to keep him. Not going to happen.

Several assistants have been mentioned, but that may be too risky a move for Mike Hamilton. Kiffin is available, capable and apparently interested and the buck may start and stop right there. We'll see.

WMR
11-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Kiffin would be a great hire for them.

RANDY IN INDY
11-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Toledo did beat Michigan this year. That oughta be good enough to keep a coach around awhile

http://www.utrockets.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&SPID=10708&SPSID=89643

Sea Ray
11-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't like the idea of Kiffin. His experience with the ever senile Al Davis doesn't really count as coaching. I'm also wary of sons of great coaches. Just look at the Shula boys. I am glad to see that they have a nice recruiting class on the hook and that they'd better be careful to keep it.

Sea Ray
11-04-2008, 05:41 PM
http://www.utrockets.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&SPID=10708&SPSID=89643

Yeah, I haven't followed that UT much this year but it's ironic that Mich was one of only 2 wins for that program. It doesn't reflect well on Michigan as much as anything.

cincrazy
11-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't like the idea of Kiffin. His experience with the ever senile Al Davis doesn't really count as coaching. I'm also wary of sons of great coaches. Just look at the Shula boys. I am glad to see that they have a nice recruiting class on the hook and that they'd better be careful to keep it.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... never mention the Shula brother's around these parts, you know better than that!

WVRed
11-04-2008, 05:54 PM

What amazed me was Tajh Boyd.

Boyd had committed to WVU around the same time as Logan Heastie. He opted out and opened up his recruitment again and committed to Tennessee, two days before the announcement on Fulmer.

There is another RB from Oklahoma who is a top rusher. Better hope the Sooners don't come around looking for him.

Sea Ray
11-04-2008, 07:23 PM
What amazed me was Tajh Boyd.

Boyd had committed to WVU around the same time as Logan Heastie. He opted out and opened up his recruitment again and committed to Tennessee, two days before the announcement on Fulmer.

There is another RB from Oklahoma who is a top rusher. Better hope the Sooners don't come around looking for him.

What do you know about this Boyd kid? Is he a spread-option guy or a dropback/pocket passer? I find it interesting that he'd commit to WVa and UT because at least right now they run two completely different offenses

Mario-Rijo
11-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I thought Kiffin did a pretty darn good job with what he had in Oakland. Which was never much, but a bunch of pre-madonna has beens who just went there to finish decomposing prematurely.

BTW I am taking Bobby Bowden in the pie eating contest. All he would have to do is feed it to the gluttons he has on the hook and tell them it's a potential national championship team, poof gone in a heartbeat.

WVRed
11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
What do you know about this Boyd kid? Is he a spread-option guy or a dropback/pocket passer? I find it interesting that he'd commit to WVa and UT because at least right now they run two completely different offenses

He committed to WVU originally and my guess is with the way they played losing to ECU early on he started to rethink his decision. And yes he is a spread QB.

My take is that teams will more often than not adjust to fit the players. That probably is what happened with Fulmer recruiting Boyd.

Sea Ray
11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
He committed to WVU originally and my guess is with the way they played losing to ECU early on he started to rethink his decision. And yes he is a spread QB.

My take is that teams will more often than not adjust to fit the players. That probably is what happened with Fulmer recruiting Boyd.

I guess it'll be up to the next coach but it's awfully difficult to change systems. A spread demands an entirely different type of O-line and no TE or FB. In other words, if you decide to go from a Cutcliffe "pro-style" offense to a W Va spread option, what do you do with your 300 lb linemen, TEs and FBs on scholarship? It's not so easy and I'm not sure just any O-coordinator can coach both systems. If they do decide to go spread then I think Brian Kelly is the right choice. My dream is still that they stick with pro-set and somehow manage to get Bill Cowher...

cincrazy
11-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Tennessee lost at home to Wyoming today, 13-7. Ouch, Rocky Top...

KronoRed
11-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Looks like the players have totally quit, way to finish right for your coach guys

cumberlandreds
11-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Looks like the players have totally quit, way to finish right for your coach guys

They must really dislike Fulmer. Usually when a coach is fired the team will come back and give extra effort. They apparently didn't do that.

durl
11-10-2008, 09:53 AM
They must really dislike Fulmer. Usually when a coach is fired the team will come back and give extra effort. They apparently didn't do that.

That may indeed be the case. If it is, it's an indication of the type of players on the UT roster.

If you don't give your best effort at home (at Homecoming of all games) then you're a slacker, IMO. You don't deserve the scholarship. Fulmer's problem may be that he picked players who don't have the drive to be their best.

James B.
11-10-2008, 08:01 PM

I don't think that they quit. They are just a bad football team. Read this article that shows how the players reacted after the firing.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20081104/SPORTS0601/811040342/-1/ARCHIVE01

KronoRed
11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Could some of the players be tanking because they want to get back at the school?

Just thinking out loud ;)

cincrazy
11-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't think that they quit. They are just a bad football team. Read this article that shows how the players reacted after the firing.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20081104/SPORTS0601/811040342/-1/ARCHIVE01

Agreed. I'm always uncomfortable saying a team quit, unless I know for absolute certain. I don't think they quit, I just think they're beyond atrocious, and nobody knows how to fix what's gone wrong.