PDA

View Full Version : Phillips is your 2008 NL Rawlings Gold Glove Winner at 2B

SeeinRed
11-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Per C. Trent (http://twitter.com/ctrent/statuses/992293760)
:beerme:

schmidty622
11-05-2008, 04:10 PM
ehhh.. I'd rather have had a playoff birth.

Maybe this will boost his value so we can get some valuable pieces to improve the team.

HeatherC1212
11-05-2008, 04:19 PM
That's awesome for Brandon and for the Reds too. The Reds aren't exactly known for their stellar defense ;) so for one of our players to actually win one of these awards is pretty exciting. Congrats to Brandon! :D

Bip Roberts
11-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Now time to win one at SS

bgwilly31
11-05-2008, 04:30 PM

Maybe this will boost his value so we can get some valuable pieces to improve the team.

Nice attitude. :rolleyes:

As for me im ecstatic for BP. I just sent about 12 Texts celebrating with my friends.

BP has had this a long time coming and its fantastic both for him and the reds that he finally got the recognition that he deserves.

Double WOOOOOTTTT! for BP> :thumbup::jump::phillips:

redsfandan
11-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Congrats to Brandon. it's well deserved. add one for ss and another position and we're in business.

Nasty_Boy
11-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Yea, but we've never won anything with him.

Just imagine how usefull he'd be if he worked the count, played SS, and hit leadoff... Oh well, congrats to the cleanup hitter.

markymark69
11-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Congrats to BP, a year too late if you ask me. It should be his second one.

GoGoWhiteSox
11-05-2008, 04:43 PM
A well deserved GG for BP. Congrats!

JayBruceFan
11-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Congrats to BP

Chris Sabowned
11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
About time he gets some recognition. Now lets get some more fielders around him.

mroby85
11-05-2008, 04:58 PM
About time he gets some recognition. Now lets get some more fielders around him.

X2

Nasty_Boy
11-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Seriously... look at who else won this award. Nate Freaking McClouth! He's terrible... He was the worst CF in baseball as rated by the Fielding Bible. The gold glove is a joke... I'm glad BP won the award fromt he Fielding Bible, because the GG just doesn't carry much weight when people like Nate McClouth win. If McClouth didn't hit this season, he would've been nowhere on that list.

keeganbrick
11-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Well deserved!!!

Congrats Brandon Phillips, hopefully many more to come!

:phillips: :rockband::rockband:

Mitri
11-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Congrats to Brandon. We can complain all we want about his somewhat frustrating approach at the plate, but nobody can dispute he's an ace with the glove.

He deserved it last year and there were a few other guys deserving of it this year but a GG for Phillips is totally warranted.

And yes, as much as I love having Phillips behind Cincinnati pitching every game of the season, right now is the perfect time to flip Phillips. He could net something serious this offseason, right before he gets too expensive for the Reds' budget.

11-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Congrats to Brandon. We can complain all we want about his somewhat frustrating approach at the plate, but nobody can dispute he's an ace with the glove.

He deserved it last year and there were a few other guys deserving of it this year but a GG for Phillips is totally warranted.

And yes, as much as I love having Phillips behind Cincinnati pitching every game of the season, right now is the perfect time to flip Phillips. He could net something serious this offseason, right before he gets too expensive for the Reds' budget.

I hope that they don't have to trade him, but this gold glove does make it easier to get good value for him.
And he does deserve it just like he did last year.

AccordinglyReds
11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Congrats, BP!

Damn this makes so happy, knowing that he works so hard at defense, and it doesn't hurt that my favorite position has always been 2B. Nice guy, too. :)

kpresidente
11-05-2008, 07:41 PM

fadetoblack2880
11-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Trading him would be a step back. How can we foresee what the Reds budget will be next year. The team had to take into consideration that the payroll will climb as the team improves. Who would replace him at second, Keppinger? I don't see the logic in dealing the top defensive 2b in the NL.

ED44
11-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Congrats to BP!!!! Definitely deserving!

Nasty_Boy
11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
The Reds aren't going to compete next year unless they pull off some miracle signings and trades this offseason... So I would trade him before he becomes expensive in 2010 and work towards that season. The minors are filled with guys that project late 09 or 2010 before they're ready to go. I love BPs defense but he could be moved for a Catcher, SS, CF, or another arm maybe all the above if he's moved with other players. I don't think they should give him away for peanuts, but if you can improve the team and save money I'm all for it.

11-05-2008, 11:16 PM
The Reds aren't going to compete next year unless they pull off some miracle signings and trades this offseason... So I would trade him before he becomes expensive in 2010 and work towards that season. The minors are filled with guys that project late 09 or 2010 before they're ready to go. I love BPs defense but he could be moved for a Catcher, SS, CF, or another arm maybe all the above if he's moved with other players. I don't think they should give him away for peanuts, but if you can improve the team and save money I'm all for it.

Everybody said the same thing about the Rays this year, and about the Rockies and D-Backs last year. They made modest moves to fill holes, and you know the rest.

roby
11-06-2008, 12:18 AM
You guys who want to trade Brandon phillips are just plain crazy! Don't you ever want to win? Do you want to just pretend to rebuild forever. Every time the Reds get a player who can be a contributor, it seems like everybody wants to trade him. Jeesh!

Kingspoint
11-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Those awards are always awarded for previous years' results.

Congratulations, BP! Long overdue.

Now that you've reached the top of that position (you'll never start at the All-Star Game over Utley), it would be a great time to switch to Shortstop.

Kingspoint
11-06-2008, 03:20 AM
You guys who want to trade Brandon phillips are just plain crazy! Don't you ever want to win? Do you want to just pretend to rebuild forever. Every time the Reds get a player who can be a contributor, it seems like everybody wants to trade him. Jeesh!

No kidding.

He's affordable to the REDS right now and for one more year after that. He's cheap and the REDS need as many cheap, Gold Glove, 162-game regulars that they can use, who also is a threat on the bases and hits for power and is decent in every category of Offense, and who doesn't complain.

Nasty_Boy
11-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Brandon is a great defender, a good baserunner, and an average hitter. He's worth more on reputation than he is on skill. Once again, my point is trade him if you make the team better. After this season he'll be overpaid and tough to move.

smoke6
11-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Atta baby BP! Keep 'em coming!:cool:

bounty37h
11-06-2008, 10:28 AM

Schmidty, you certainly like to play the debbie downer role dont you!?!?!? I am sure we all would rather have had playoffs, obviously didnt happen, at least enjoy the few bright spots we do have.

ChatterRed
11-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Congrats to BP. Finally gets the defensive attention he deserves.

schmidty622
11-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Schmidty, you certainly like to play the debbie downer role dont you!?!?!? I am sure we all would rather have had playoffs, obviously didnt happen, at least enjoy the few bright spots we do have.

Sorry but I cheer for the Reds. Not BP. His gold glove just doesn't do anything for me.

Nasty_Boy
11-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Sorry but I cheer for the Reds. Not BP. His gold glove just doesn't do anything for me.

AMEN!!!:beerme::beerme:

bounty37h
11-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Hate to break it to you, but the Reds stunk last year, at least BP was a bright spot. The season is loooong over now, come off the ledge for a moment to enjoy the few good things that did come out of it, BP was def a highlight for the Reds. If you cheer for the Reds, how can you not cheer for a player on that team that has been recognized for doing so well? They kinda go hand-in-hand dont they???

Nasty_Boy
11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Votto was a bright spot, Volquez was a bright spot, Bruce and Cueto showing flashes of things to come was a bright spot... Phillips underachieved at the plate and on the bases. His defense was stellar, but he did not have a great year. After the ASB, it's tough to tell BP and Cpat's numbers apart.

schmidty622
11-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Hate to break it to you, but the Reds stunk last year, at least BP was a bright spot. The season is loooong over now, come off the ledge for a moment to enjoy the few good things that did come out of it, BP was def a highlight for the Reds. If you cheer for the Reds, how can you not cheer for a player on that team that has been recognized for doing so well? They kinda go hand-in-hand dont they???

I realize the Reds stunk. Which is why I am rather apathetic about their individual awards. If they had been in contention, or even made the playoffs, maybe I would care more, but right now I'd just like to see the team get better with no regards to how many awards they receive because of it.

Woooopdeee doooo, Phillips was a bright spot in the field, doesn't matter a bit until the rest of the team gets better.

bounty37h
11-06-2008, 04:02 PM
I can udnerstand that pojnt, but I was going more on your constant negativity towards our players on here, it seems to be a pattern for you to bash our players, have read very few positive words from you.

schmidty622
11-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I can udnerstand that pojnt, but I was going more on your constant negativity towards our players on here, it seems to be a pattern for you to bash our players, have read very few positive words from you.

I expect our players to be good, which is why I don't feel like they need a ton of praise. To me the good things that some of our players do and accomplish are just them living up to expectations.

There are enough kind words said on this site to balance out the negative things I say.

bgwilly31
11-06-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't see the logic in dealing the top defensive 2b in the NL.

Its a Losing mentaility. That im terribly sick of.

I don't think they should give him away for peanuts, but if you can improve the team and save money I'm all for it.

Explain how getting rid of the best 2nd baseman in the NL is improving the team.

Unless your getting back a named established slugger slugger in his prime and a above avg STARTing 2nd basemen, but i dont see that happening anytime soon.

Here here.

BP is a part of the reds. His GG reflects at least some success for the reds last years debacle of a season.

So i dont see how you can be a true reds fan and not appreciate his success.

schmidty622
11-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Its a Losing mentaility. That im terribly sick of.

Explain how getting rid of the best 2nd baseman in the NL is improving the team.

Unless your getting back a named established slugger slugger in his prime and a above avg STARTing 2nd basemen, but i dont see that happening anytime soon.

Here here.

BP is a part of the reds. His GG reflects at least some success for the reds last years debacle of a season.

So i dont see how you can be a true reds fan and not appreciate his success.

Oh. I appreciate it, but i'm not gonna celebrate over it.

I guess I'm not a "true" Reds fan. Oh no.

Nasty_Boy
11-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Phillips is NOT the best 2nd baseman in the NL. Utley is better, offensively and defensively. Uggla is a wash because he's much better with the bat but weaker with the glove. Kelly Johnson isn't far behind and he makes far less money. DeRosa spent a ton of time at 2nd and I would take his bat over Phillips anyday. Hudson is very comparable to BP. Listen, I love watching Brandon with the glove but his approach at the plate and spot in the order makes the Reds weaker. With his attention over the gold glove, the Reds could make a package centered around BP that could bring more players to vill the Reds voids. Like I said, he doesn't get moved for nothing but believe it or not the Reds can improve this team by trading him.

On a side note... He can win all the GG's he want's but he won't be helping the Reds if he's hitting 2nd, 3rd, or 4th with an OBP in the low .300's. The Reds need a better effort out of him at the plate... He was really quite bad last season.

I(heart)Freel
11-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Oh. I appreciate it, but i'm not gonna celebrate over it.

I guess I'm not a "true" Reds fan. Oh no.

I'm curious... if there was nothing to celebrate or enjoy in the Reds season, why are you on a Reds message board? Why spend quality time away from drowning kittens and laughing at car accidents to come on here? Seems to me you could use that time better.

schmidty622
11-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm curious... if there was nothing to celebrate or enjoy in the Reds season, why are you on a Reds message board? Why spend quality time away from drowning kittens and laughing at car accidents to come on here? Seems to me you could use that time better.

I am a claims adjuster so I do that quite a bit actually.

Nasty_Boy
11-07-2008, 11:34 AM
:cool:

bgwilly31
11-07-2008, 02:57 PM

i lol'd :lol:

Phillips is NOT the best 2nd baseman in the NL. Utley is better, offensively and defensively. Uggla is a wash because he's much better with the bat but weaker with the glove. Kelly Johnson isn't far behind and he makes far less money. DeRosa spent a ton of time at 2nd and I would take his bat over Phillips anyday. Hudson is very comparable to BP. Listen, I love watching Brandon with the glove but his approach at the plate and spot in the order makes the Reds weaker. With his attention over the gold glove, the Reds could make a package centered around BP that could bring more players to vill the Reds voids. Like I said, he doesn't get moved for nothing but believe it or not the Reds can improve this team by trading him.

On a side note... He can win all the GG's he want's but he won't be helping the Reds if he's hitting 2nd, 3rd, or 4th with an OBP in the low .300's. The Reds need a better effort out of him at the plate... He was really quite bad last season.

BP had an off year at the plate. If he does that again this year then yeah you might have an argument. But again from the stats you just mentioned is more reason to not want to unload him right now. You dont think think other teams see him as a one yr wonder. At least one more year until we even think about it. And if he does well at the plate again i wouldnt think very long.

Nasty_Boy
11-07-2008, 03:40 PM
If he's playing SS (which he should be, unless they acquire better) and hitting 7th, I have no problem with BP. But in reallity, Dusty is going to hit him 3rd or 4th and he's going to stay at 2B which is an easier position to fill. Sometimes I wonder if BP just doesn't think the game well or if he's a selfish player. He could be a top teir player if he showed the plate discipline that he shows from time to time. If he concentrated on going the other way and just letting the HR's come to him, he would be a very tough out because he has the physical tools to do most anything at the plate. I just think that 30-30 and hitting balls into the bleachers is something that is more attractive to Brandon than taking a walk or going the other way.

Kingspoint
11-07-2008, 05:20 PM

Maybe he thinks God sucks, too, because everything wasn't perfect this year for him, either.

Congratulations BP. I'm sorry you have to put up with fans like that.

schmidty622
11-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Maybe he thinks God sucks, too, because everything wasn't perfect this year for him, either.

Congratulations BP. I'm sorry you have to put up with fans like that.

:rolleyes:

Brandon4MVP
11-08-2008, 02:27 AM
People can hate on BP all they want. He is one of the most FUN players to watch in baseball. I also think BP has the most FUN playing baseball of any player in the league. He wants to win so bad and he does great things in the community. He is a perfect fit in Cincinnati and he won't leave til he retires.

bgwilly31
11-08-2008, 10:32 AM
People can hate on BP all they want. He is one of the most FUN players to watch in baseball. I also think BP has the most FUN playing baseball of any player in the league. He wants to win so bad and he does great things in the community. He is a perfect fit in Cincinnati and he won't leave til he retires.

I absoltely agree. and hope it to be so.

Nasty_Boy
11-10-2008, 09:52 AM

What's fun about watching a guy spin himself in the ground trying to yank the ball out of the park? What's fun about watching a guy swing at the 1st pitch after the guy before him draws a walk? What's fun about seeing a guy not run hard to 1st base when he hits into a DP?

BP is slick with the glove and he has big time potential at the plate, but the guy is a selfish player. He plays for his stats... Daugherty loves him, but C. Trent, Hal, and Fay have all had their run ins with BP. He was pi$$ed about not winning the GG last season... Why does it matter? BP's play has not translated in Reds wins. He's a good player but until he realizes that he is a bigger asset to this team by being a patient hitter that goes the other way and gets on base, than he is being a 30/30 cleanup hitter that gets on base at a .310 clip he will not be the player the Reds should pay for or count on.

Brandon4MVP
11-10-2008, 11:55 AM
It not his fault the coaches put him the the 4 spot and ask him to be a 30/30 guy. You know why he was pissed he didnt get the GG last season? He takes so much pride in being the best fielding second baseman and he felt that he had accomplished that. Look at the number he was most deserving by far and he didnt get it. Tell me you would not be pissed if you had those numbers?

Nasty_Boy
11-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, I guess it evens out... Because even though he may have deserved the GG last season, he didn't this season. Chase Utley was the best defensive 2B in the league this past season. And you're right it's not his fault that they put him in the 4 spot, but it is his fault that he tries to be a 30/30 guy. How do you know that he takes so much pride in being the best defensive 2b? Like it or not Brandon is guy that is going to be looked at to produce, not only because of his contract but his constant insisting that he be the face of the franchise. If he were a true team player he would alter his approach at the plate and become a top notch leadoff hitter (he has the ability), but he enjoys "pimping" his HRs too much.