PDA

View Full Version : Phillips wins the gold glove!

Matt700wlw
11-05-2008, 04:09 PM
:beerme:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081105&content_id=3664890&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

WMR
11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
wow good for him

OnBaseMachine
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Awesome. He deserved it. Congrats to Phillips.

Mario-Rijo
11-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Sweet, congrats BP. :thumbup:

Mario-Rijo
11-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Figures it would have to be tainted. McClouth wins one also.

OnBaseMachine
11-05-2008, 04:20 PM

Wow. Nate McLouth is the worst defensive center fielder in the game according to the Fielding Bible.

BRM
11-05-2008, 04:21 PM

McClouth? What a joke.

Congrats to BP!!

OnBaseMachine
11-05-2008, 04:21 PM
The rest of the NL winners:

P GREG MADDUX DODGERS 18
C YADIER MOLINA CARDINALS 1
1ST ADRIAN GONZALEZ PADRES 1
2ND BRANDON PHILLIPS REDS 1
3RD DAVID WRIGHT METS 2
SS JIMMY ROLLINS PHILLIES 2
OF NATE McLOUTH PIRATES 1
OF CARLOS BELTRAN METS 3
OF SHANE VICTORINO PHILLIES 1

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

BRM
11-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Wow. Nate McLouth is the worst defensive center fielder in the game according to the Fielding Bible.

FWIW, Phillips is only the 4th best second baseman according the Fielding Bible. Utley was #1 and by a considerable margin.

Chip R
11-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm surprised Utley didn't win but I'm happy for Brandon.

Homer Bailey
11-05-2008, 04:24 PM
YES! Get some BP!

Mario-Rijo
11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
FWIW, Phillips is only the 4th best second baseman according the Fielding Bible. Utley was #1 and by a considerable margin.

Which I'll never get, Utley is not superior to BP in any one way (instincts included) and BP clearly outranges him.

BRM
11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm surprised Utley didn't win but I'm happy for Brandon.

My thoughts exactly.

TOBTTReds
11-05-2008, 04:29 PM

Only by the +/- system was Utley better. BP won the Fielding Bible Gold Glove earlier this week! Sweeep!

From Bill James:

Second Base – Brandon Phillips, Cincinnati
This one surprised me, but it shouldn’t have. Brandon Phillips finished third in our voting last year and now has won his first Fielding Bible Award with 86 points. I voted for Chase Utley, who had the highest Plus/Minus figure at any position this year (+47 – see the Kenny Rogers discussion below for more information about the Plus/Minus System). But the panelists who watched Phillips play more regularly have seen what he can do on the field and rewarded him accordingly.

BRM
11-05-2008, 04:32 PM
For those who are advocates of trading BP (I'm looking at WMR ;)), this should certainly boost his value.

Mario-Rijo
11-05-2008, 04:35 PM
A 30-30 gold glove winner oughta have some serious market.

fearofpopvol1
11-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Which I'll never get, Utley is not superior to BP in any one way (instincts included) and BP clearly outranges him.

Utley is better, but not significantly (IMO). Watch the guy play. He's great.

Good for Brandon though. I have no problem with him winning.

Mario-Rijo
11-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Utley is better, but not significantly. Watch the guy play. He's great.

I have watched him play and yes he is excellent, but he's not better than Brandon Phillips defensively. He's right on par with BP in most areas but not better in any of them but Brandon outranges him. How does that make him better at all?

fearofpopvol1
11-05-2008, 04:53 PM
I have watched him play and yes he is excellent, but he's not better than Brandon Phillips defensively. He's right on par with BP in most areas but not better in any of them but Brandon outranges him. How does that make him better at all?

How many times have you seen him play? I think he makes more plays than Brandon. He may not be as fancy and make it look as pretty as Brandon, but I like his instincts just a little bit better than Brandon's.

BRM
11-05-2008, 05:04 PM
A 30-30 gold glove winner oughta have some serious market.

One would think so.

OnBaseMachine
11-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Phillips on Phillips
Posted by JohnFay at 11/5/2008 5:19 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

Brandon Phillips on the winning the Gold Glove:

--"It feels great. I put defense first. This is more important than 30-30. Defense wins games. Everybody knows that. It's the best thing that's ever happened to me. This is what I do. This is my passion. I love it."

--On not winning last year: "It hurt. Honestly, I was pissed. Then I said, if I win it, I win. But now that I have, it feels great."

--On shortstop: "Shortstop was my first love. But I'd love to be a second baseman the rest of my career. But that's up to the Reds. I miss shortstop sometimes. I'll go over there and mess around."

Dusty Baker, by the way, shot down the potential move back to shortstop.

"That weakens you at two positions. The perfect situation would be for him to play both. But we've got to find a shortstop who's capable."

Baker credited Phillips work ethic.

"He never sits down. He's always working it. He takes balls. He practices catching popups over his head. He practices like he plays."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a0e46d8d9-aa04-4b89-8f91-931fa65f4e9f&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

BRM
11-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't know that I agree it weakens the team at two positions if BP moves to SS. Especially considering the fact the Reds are very weak at SS at the moment.

guttle11
11-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Dern tootin'.

Mario-Rijo
11-05-2008, 05:43 PM
How many times have you seen him play? I think he makes more plays than Brandon. He may not be as fancy and make it look as pretty as Brandon, but I like his instincts just a little bit better than Brandon's.

I've seen him enough to know that he is clearly the best overall 2B in major league baseball, because he is a better hitter. But his defensive prowess although very, very good is limited bye his talent. And his talent is very, very good but just falls short of BP's. Utley's arm is slightly overrated and his range just doesn't compare. I've seen the #'s also and they disagree with me as will most people who see a few of Utley's gems (like his recent Jeter moment) but I have consistently watched BP do those kinds of plays for 3 years now routinely and he's a guy who rarely makes a gaff either.

Here's how I see it

1st Step: Phillips > Utley
Speed: Phillips > Utley
Arm Strength: Phillips > Utley
Arm accuracy: Phillips > Utley (a slight edge to Phillips)
Hands: Phillips > Utley
Instincts: Phillips < Utley (perhaps a slight edge to Utley, because he picks his spots better)
Technique: Phillips = Utley

Sea Ray
11-05-2008, 06:09 PM
It'd be nice if Dusty's words finally end speculation of BP moving to SS. It's not gonna happen here

Highlifeman21
11-05-2008, 06:10 PM
For those who are advocates of trading BP (I'm looking at WMR ;)), this should certainly boost his value.

That's what I'm talkin' about

This GG hopefully increases his trade value.

Tom Servo
11-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Way to go, BP! :beerme:

OnBaseMachine
11-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Phillips scoops up his first Gold Glove

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Brandon Phillips admits that shortstop is his first love and switching to second base was torture. But as he said, "I talked to (former infielder) Delino DeShields and he told me, 'If you can dance, you can play second base.' "

Phillips can dance.

"I dance with the stars at second base," he said. "That's what I call it, 'Dancing on the Diamond.' "

The 27-year-old Cincinnati Reds infielder danced his way to a Rawlings Gold Glove this year, emblematic of being the best defensive second baseman in the National League.

Reds manager Dusty Baker said he was shocked when he talked to Phillips and his young star couldn't believe he won the Gold Glove, "And I couldn't believe he couldn't believe it."

Managers and coaches do the voting and Baker said, "Nearly every day a manager or coach comes up to me and asks about Brandon and tells me what a pleasure it is watching that guy.

"Brandon Phillips works hard," Baker added. "He practices making catches over his head and I've never seen a player practice that."

Phillips could have won the award last year. He had better numbers than Arizona's Orlando Hudson, but Hudson won.

"To tell you the truth, it hurt me last year when I didn't win," he said. "I was really angry. Now that I've finally won one — well, it's great the people are finally recognizing my defense."

Phillips was a 30/30 offensive player last year (30 homers, 30 stolen bases), but only a 24/23 player this year, losing 27 points off his batting average (.288 to .261). His fielding percentage was .990 with seven errors on 706 total chances.

"To me, winning the Gold Glove is more important and more satisfying than the 30/30," he said. "Defense is my passion and I take pride in it. Defense wins games and this is the best thing to happen to me."

Baker said he knows Phillips won't stop working.

"The first one is the toughest," he said. "But I see four or five more in his future. A great defensive player can pick up the offense. It prevents offense from the other team when you make a great play and turn a double play.

"His range and his athleticism and his arm are special," Baker added. "He is so good he could almost be a tumbler."

Or go Dancing With the Stars.

Flashing Leather

Cincinnati Reds who have won Gold Gloves since 1987:

Eric Davis, outfield (1987, '88, '89)

Barry Larkin, shortstop (1994, '95, '96)

Bret Boone, second base (1998)

Pokey Reese, second base (1999, 2000)

Brandon Phillips, second base (2008)

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/11/05/ddn110608spphillips.html

BRM
11-05-2008, 07:55 PM
It'd be nice if Dusty's words finally end speculation of BP moving to SS. It's not gonna happen here

I agree with you. I don't see the Reds moving him off 2B either.

Rojo
11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Was Larkin the last Red to win one?

OnBaseMachine
11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Was Larkin the last Red to win one?

Pokey Reese was the last Red to win a Gold Glove (2000).

remdog
11-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Personally, I think Utley was better this year. I think if Phillips is to win a GG it should have been for '07 when he was, IMO, better than he was in '08.

I am glad it ups his value though. Now, let's take advantage of that....

Rem

Highlifeman21
11-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Personally, I think Utley was better this year. I think if Phillips is to win a GG it should have been for '07 when he was, IMO, better than he was in '08.

I am glad it ups his value though. Now, let's take advantage of that....

Rem

I'm with you, Rem.

Utley was better this year, and has been better than Phillips for both of their careers.

Phillips is more flashy, therefore turns more heads, but don't kid yourself, Utley has just as much, if not more range than Phillips, and IMO is more reliable than Phillips.

Part of me thinks that Phillips tries to make the spectacular play too much, but thankfully has a seemingly high rate of success. Eventually, he'll go to that well too many times.

Regardless, congrats to BP, and here's to hoping this increases his trade value, and brings back something excellent to the Reds before we're stuck keeping an expensive BP on the roster....

OnBaseMachine
11-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Reds have history of Gold Glove winners

By Staff Report

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Cincinnati Reds who have won Gold Gloves since 1987:

Player, position, years

Eric Davis, outfield (1987, '88, '89)

Barry Larkin, shortstop (1994, '95, '96)

Bret Boone, second base (1998)

Pokey Reese, second base (1999, 2000)

Brandon Phillips, second base (2008)

Reds traditionally strong up the middle

The Cincinnati Reds have a long history of middle infielders winning Gold Gloves for defensive excellence, but second baseman Brandon Phillips, honored Wednesday, is the first since 2000.

SECOND BASEMEN

Tommy Helms, 1970-71

Joe Morgan, 1973-77

Bret Boone, 1998

Pokey Reese, 1999-2000

Brandon Phillips, 2008

SHORTSTOPS

Roy McMillan, 1957-59

Leo Cardenas, 1965

Dave Concepcion, 1974-77, 1979

Barry Larkin, 1994-96

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/11/05/ddn110608spredsgoldgloves.html

WVPacman
11-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Congrats to Phillips it was well deserved and one year to late.

reds44
11-06-2008, 12:50 AM
I don't know that I agree it weakens the team at two positions if BP moves to SS. Especially considering the fact the Reds are very weak at SS at the moment.
Especially if you sign a guy like Hudson to play 2nd base, it would strengthen you at two positions.

The first thing I though of when I heard Phillips won the gold glove is how much of a shame him batting 3rd/4th diminshes his value to a team. He has good speed, good power, and plays great defense. He's gone 30/30 and has one a gold glove, there's value in that. If we trade him and geting a nice haul, so be it. If not, just hit him 6th and call it a day. He's a joy to watch in the field, and he can provide highlights at the dish as well.

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2008, 01:50 AM
I think Brandon Phillips will be a lot better hitter when the Reds finally move him out of the cleanup spot. The sooner he realizes he's not a homerun hitter the sooner he'll become a better hitter IMO. Maybe moving him out of the cleanup spot will help him realize that. I wouldn't mind batting him second in front of Bruce/Votto to give him a chance at seeing more fastballs. If he can get on base at a .340 clip I'd bat him second, if he fails to that I'd drop him to sixth.

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2008, 02:30 AM
Michael Young will be the AL Gold Glove shortstop in balloting announced Wednesday.
ESPN won't be happy about the leak. Also winning Gold Gloves are P Mike Mussina, C Joe Mauer, 1B Carlos Pena, 2B Dustin Pedroia, 3B Adrian Beltre, OF Torii Hunter, OF Grady Sizemore and OF Ichiro Suzuki. Young is a terrible choice, perhaps even worse than Derek Jeter would have been. Orlando Cabrera would have been the safe pick for AL managers once again, but Jason Bartlett was the class of a very weak group of shortstops. Pena's inclusion over Kevin Youkilis is quite a surprise. We can only imagine it has something to do with Youkilis playing mostly third base at the time the balloting was done. The rest of the infield is fine, though Akinori Iwamura had a case at second. Hunter has been coasting on his reputation for a few years now, but it would have been stunning if he wasn't picked. Carl Crawford, Alex Rios and Carlos Gomez were all clearly more deserving.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=Mlb

Carlos Gomez was robbed. And Michael Young?!? He's a below average shortstop at best.

Topcat
11-06-2008, 05:50 AM

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081105&content_id=3664890&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

About damn time, Krivsky bashers fire away. The man found gold 2 times and the players in the end result are Phillips and Volquez. Minus those 2 players from the Red's and things are far darker than what can be.

I wish Walt well but Wayne K was alot more special than people gave him credit for, I also believe spare part keppinger and Maloney can be attributed to Wayne also. Just a patronizing question now okay ;), Who brought Buckley aboard. Some of the super genius fans here and oh you are I do not doubt that for 1 second. That bashed Wayne K how is he looking now ? I welcome all retorts as you know the final answer is yes I was wrong.:p:

BRM
11-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Carlos Gomez was robbed. And Michael Young?!? He's a below average shortstop at best.

Yeah, Young was a pretty sorry pick. I'm not sure I like any of the outfield picks although I can live with Ichiro getting one.

Chip R
11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Javy should have had 3 Gold Gloves. One for catching, one for 1st base and one for 3rd base.

BRM
11-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Javy should have had 3 Gold Gloves. One for catching, one for 1st base and one for 3rd base.

And a Silver Slugger award for all three.

Chip R
11-06-2008, 09:42 AM
And a Silver Slugger award for all three.

Goes without saying.