PDA

View Full Version : UC @ Louisville

Cyclone792
11-10-2008, 08:43 PM
#22 UC heads to Louisville on Friday night for an 8pm start (televised by ESPN2, I believe). It's a game that UC should win if they play well, but it's also an absolutely pivotal game that UC cannot overlook since Pitt - and the potential de facto Big East Championship game - looms next Saturday.

For the most part, UC has played outstanding defense all year long, and their defense in the redzone has been crucial against both South Florida and West Virginia. Louisville is missing one of their star WR for the rest of the season which may also hopefully cut into the Louisville offensive attack a bit.

Hopefully UC doesn't catch themselves looking ahead to next Saturday, and I've got faith in Brian Kelly to make sure that doesn't happen. Play well, execute well, protect the football, and avoid the stupid penalties, and let's grab a win heading into the Pitt game.

DoogMinAmo
11-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Louisville always seems to find a way to get to UC, and this reeks of a trap game. I will be watching this game with my breath held until the final gun.

Boston Red
11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Louisville hasn't lost as a home underdog since 1999.

Granted, before Kragthorpe arrived, Louisville hadn't been a home underdog since their 2002 win over Florida State, but it's a fun worthless statistic.

joshnky
11-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Louisville always seems to find a way to get to UC, and this reeks of a trap game. I will be watching this game with my breath held until the final gun.

Louisville is a bad football team BUT they always play UC well and they are better at home than on the road (see @Pitt and @Syracuse).

And, I hate to say it, but I just don't think UC is anything special. They are one of the best teams in a bad conference but that doesn't really say much. Beating WVU and USF looked more difficult at the beginning of the year than it does now.

Given Hunter Cantwell's propensity to throw TDs to the other team I'm not going to pick the Cards but a win wouldn't surprise me.

dougdirt
11-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Here is one reason I think the Bearcats win this by 14+....

This is a senior laden team who has never beaten Louisville. Its their last chance to beat them and with all thats on the line I just can't see a way that they overlook them or look past them and don't just take care of business.

paintmered
11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Here is one reason I think the Bearcats win this by 14+....

This is a senior laden team who has never beaten Louisville. Its their last chance to beat them and with all thats on the line I just can't see a way that they overlook them or look past them and don't just take care of business.

Bring the keg home, boys...

http://www.magazine.uc.edu/1107/images/alumni2.jpg

GoReds33
11-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Bring the keg home, boys...

http://www.magazine.uc.edu/1107/images/alumni2.jpgYou should have made that picture in black and white.:D

AccordinglyReds
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Go Cards. :)

Though I hope it's a good game.

Redlegs23
11-12-2008, 07:24 PM
I think this will be a close game since it's a rivalry and in Louisville, but I expect the Cats to pull out a close one.

DoogMinAmo
11-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Latest weather reports indicate rain. This could factor in with UC's already horrible tendency of turning the ball over, and possibly neatralizing the pass attack. I still think UC wins a close one, I wont dare call this one early.

GoReds33
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Almost game time! I'm pumped. I have friends coming with me next week, and I would love for it to be for the Big East Championship!

CTA513
11-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Louisville is up 17-14

UC gave Louisville free points early in the game by going for it on 4th and 1 on about the 28 or 29 yard line and not getting a first down.

CTA513
11-14-2008, 10:15 PM
UC is now down 20-14

UC has missed 2 field goals and gave Louisville really good field position after fumbling around the 10 yard line.

CTA513
11-14-2008, 10:59 PM
UC is now up 21-20 with about 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Also is Louisville's field goal kicker not wearing a shoe on his right foot?

Hoosier Red
11-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Probably wouldn't have mattered but U of L got hosed on that spot.

CTA513
11-14-2008, 11:32 PM
UC won 28-20

Kelly didn't want to go and shake Louisville's head coaches hand after the game.

WMR
11-14-2008, 11:43 PM
What was up with Brian Kelly's behavior after the game?

Wow he came off really bad.

paintmered
11-14-2008, 11:45 PM

Not sure. We'd have to think that it will all come out in the next day or so. Edit: The UC forums are saying that Kragthorpe turned his back on Kelly during the handshake. There's plenty of hearsay right now, that's for sure.

And I know Louisville is having what they'd consider to be a down year, but this win still feels great. 2 trophies down, 1 to go. That last one is the biggest of all.

NorrisHopper30
11-14-2008, 11:49 PM

Him and Krag were at it all game after Krag flipped on BK for holding a team prayer around the Cardinal logo at midfield.

WMR
11-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Ahh, k. Sounds pretty contentious on both sides.

The cameras just made Kelly look bad b/c they only showed him doing the "Phooey" gesture with his hands. :D

CTA513
11-14-2008, 11:54 PM

ESPNs announcers said it started before the game when Louisville's coach got upset about the Bearcats praying in a circle around Louisville's logo.

Then I guess him and Kelly had some words about it.

ESPN also said that UC does this before every game whether it's at home or on the road.

HeatherC1212
11-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Go Bearcats!! :jump:

Cyclone792
11-15-2008, 12:14 AM
A hard fought game on the road in rough conditions, but wins are wins, especially conference wins. As Kelly has stated, those wins against South Florida and West Virginia don't mean as much if we couldn't take care of business against Louisville.

But we picked up the win and now Nippert will be absolutely rocking in the biggest game in UC history next Saturday!

AccordinglyReds
11-15-2008, 01:33 AM
Good game, some stupid play-calls on running, and rainy sums up the game. Got some great free tickets on the 50yd line. :)

Idk why Bilal Powell kept getting the ball as he was running side to side nearly the entire time; and every nice yard pick-up they got was called back from penalties. I'm not one to blame it all on Kragthorpe, but the coaching did call some plays that had me scratching my head.

Hope Vic is okay, rough hit, but he was up on the sidelines so that's good.

Tough loss for UofL, but that's how it goes. I miss airing it out down field. :(

DoogMinAmo
11-15-2008, 01:44 AM
Great game. Hard fought. Both sides had questionable calls, but the kids played their hearts out. Jake Rogers left 9 points on the field, hopefully he can find them in the next week. Pitt awaits in what promises to be an ELECTRIC game.

Boston Red
11-15-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm not one to blame it all on Kragthorpe

I'm not sure who else you COULD blame? Santa Claus?

The UofL Athletic Department sure did a good job of feeding Spielman and McDonough a line of bull to repeat on the air about what a "mess" Kragthorpe inherited.

Caveat Emperor
11-15-2008, 03:12 AM
But we picked up the win and now Nippert will be absolutely rocking in the biggest game in UC history next Saturday!

As someone who has been going to UC games for as long as I can remember, the thought of them being 1 win away from a trip to the Orange Bowl is absolutely mind blowing.

Redlegs23
11-15-2008, 03:48 PM
This week is going to be painfully slow waiting for Saturday. Flat out awesome that the Cats are 2 wins away from the Orange Bowl.

ESPN did make Kelly look bad. Kelly said that his guys prayed at the middle of the field before the game, and somehow Kragthorpe found that to be disrespectful and confronted Kelly. Kelly said they disagreed but kept it professional. After the game Kelly's wave of the hand that made him look like the bad guy apparently was in disgust because Kragthorpe was running off the field. FWIW Kragthorpe said in his post-game interview that he and Kelly did shake hands.

AccordinglyReds
11-16-2008, 03:34 AM
I'm not sure who else you COULD blame? Santa Claus?

The UofL Athletic Department sure did a good job of feeding Spielman and McDonough a line of bull to repeat on the air about what a "mess" Kragthorpe inherited.

You know, there are others coaches.....and the fact that Cantwell is nowhere near what Brohm was leads me to think that this team isn't as good as UofL fans want it to be, although they are making strides. (ie, see Ron English)

Boston Red
11-16-2008, 12:36 PM
They'll start making strides once Kragthorpe is gone.