PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
11-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Here is the recaplet of the Reds Hot Stove Leage show.

Marty and Thom were the hosts.

They announced that Tim Lincecum of the Giants won the Cy Young award and Herb Score died.

They talked about the Matt Holliday trade.

Someone asked if the recession woud affect salaries. Thom said that the top players would still get paid but some of the middle of the road players may not.

A caller asked if Larkin would go into the HOF on the 1st ballot. Thom said he would, Marty wasn't so sure.

They discussed a report that had Atkins and Torrealba coming to the Reds. Marty likes it but Thom leery about COL players because of the altitude.

Someone asked about the 3rd base situation. Thom said EE is a guy that you fear trading because he might have a breakout year after you trade him.arty thinks he's had plenty of time to prove himself.

They discussed Micah Owings and if he could be a regular player. Thom felt he has an opportunity to be a very good pitcher

Someone asked if they thought Volquez was a fluke. Both Marty and Thom said he isn't and Marty thinks Cueto will improve.

Someone asked if Dickerson could be an every day player. Thom said that one of the toughest jobs is evaluating young players and Dickerson may or may not be ready.

OnBaseMachine
11-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks Chip.

paulrichjr
11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I think that Thom guy is young and optimistic.

I think that Marty guy is old and pessimistic. He sounds like someone that has said fool me a thousand times shame on you.

Highlifeman21
11-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Good to see Marty still isn't high on EE

Unassisted
11-11-2008, 10:45 PM
I caught the beginning of the show where they discussed with the BBHOF guy Joe's chances of getting the Frick award. The guy was very diplomatic about it, stating that Joe clearly was a sentimental favorite in Cincinnati. I was surprised to learn from their discussion that although Marty is on the committee that selects the winner, he is forbidden by the rules from doing any politicking.

Heath
11-12-2008, 09:09 AM
I caught the beginning of the show where they discussed with the BBHOF guy Joe's chances of getting the Frick award. The guy was very diplomatic about it, stating that Joe clearly was a sentimental favorite in Cincinnati. I was surprised to learn from their discussion that although Marty is on the committee that selects the winner, he is forbidden by the rules from doing any politicking.

But that doesn't prohibit others from asking Marty questions.

Thom Brennaman has pleasantly surprised me. For a guy who has national broadcasting experience, he sure does the local stuff to the hilt. Consider me a minority, but I give Thom a :thumbup:

Also, as per usual, Chip, fantastic job.

Chip R
11-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11-11-08. Marty and Thom were the hosts.

Marty announced Tim Lincecum of the Giants won the Cy Young award. He asked Thom if he was surprised at that. Thom said he wasn't since Webb tailed off at the end of the year. Marty talked about the death of former Indians pitcher and broadcaster Herb Score.

Marty and Thom talked about the Matt Holliday trade. Thom expressed his admiration at what Billy Beane does and he recommended that Marty read Moneyball since even if you do not agree with the philosophy, it's an intriguing read. (Marty had no comment.)

The first caller said that he believes Bob Howsam and Dave Concepcion should be in the HOF. He said that Davey was the best SS of his era and was cheated out of an MVP in the strike year of 1981. Marty agreed they should be in the HOF and said Howsam built world championship teams in StL and Cincy. Thom agreed both should be in there.

The next caller asked if that there is a prolonged recession, how will it affect salaries and attendance. Thom said that based on supply and demand economics, he thinks that eventually some of the middle of the road players will be affected but the stars will get paid. Thom said guys like Lohse and Fogg had a tough time getting jobs last year and it might be the same this season for some. (I can't believe Fogg won't have a job. Surely some team needs a BP pitcher.) Marty asked if the big stars' salaries would be affected. Thom said no because guys like C.C. will be in demand to teams like the Yankees who will probably pay him a fortune to pitch for them. Marty said that this cutback may have affected Trevor Hoffman since S.D. has cut ties with him choosing to give him $4M instead of picking up his $7M option. Marty said Hoffman is very upset with S.D. Thom said his stuff wasn't what it used to be but he only blew a few saves last year. Thom said he'll be closing for someone next year and thinks CLE may sign him.

The next caller asked when Barry Larkin will get into the HOF. Thom thinks he'll go in on the 1st ballot and a lot of writers saw him play and knew what kind of a player he was. Marty isn't so sure he'll go in on the 1st ballot but thinks he'll go in one day. He thinks that if Concepcion isn't in there, Larkin shouldn't either. (Marty then told Tom to get off his lawn.)

After commercial, the next caller asked about the rumor that the Reds were interested in Atkins and Torrealba. Marty said that Atkins might put up some good numbers. Thom said that the disparity between COL players' home and road splits are tremendous and Atkins is one of those players. Thom said that GABP is a hitter's park but he doesn't know about Atkins. He said that Walt is well aware of the altitude factor since he worked out there for a year. Thom likes Torrealba though.

The next caller asked what the Reds should do with their 3B situation. Thom said that EE may be the hardest guy in the NL to figure. He said he's the kind of a guy who gets GMs hired and fired. If you keep him and he does what he's done the last couple of years, that isn't a good thing but if you trade him and he breaks out, you look like an idiot. Marty said that he's had long enough to be more consistent than he is. He wonders how long do you wait on him. Marty said there has been talk about him moving to LF and if you make a deal for a 3B like Atkins, then he's OK with EE in LF because Atkins' bat takes some of the pressure off EE. Thom isn't ready to throw in the towel on him yet and would give him one more year.

The next caller asked Marty how he manages to stay so upbeat when the Reds are slumping. Marty said that you have to take the bad with the good. He said he's been around 3 world championship teams so no one should feel sorry for him. He said Vin Scully told him that when you're doing games for a bad team, you have to take each game as a season in itself. You focus on the guys who are having good years.

After commercial, the president of the national baseball HOF Jeff Idleson joined Marty and Thom by phone. Marty mentioned the luncheon coming up on Friday at 11:30 at the Riverfront Club. Brooks Robinson, Goose Gossage, Lee May and Jim O'Toole will be there. The lunch is $75 which includes memberships to the Reds and the national HOF. Thom asked Jeff how Joe can get into the HOF after the fans vote. Jeff said that the historians put 7 guys on the ballot and the fans select 3. After the fans vote, the living Frick winners and broadcast historians pick the winner. Jeff said whether or not Joe wins the award, it will never take away from the indelible mark he left here. He thinks if he doesn't get in this year, he will eventually. Marty said he votes but has no idea how anyone else votes and he can't lobby for Joe or else he could have his voting privileges taken away. He said that he doesn't need to beat the drum for Joe because everyone knows where he stands. He said that he has made it clear that there needs to be another category because guys like Graham McNamee and France Laux who have paved the way for others won't ever get voted in the way it's set up now. Jeff said that's a good point and others feel that way. He said the award has only been around 30 years so there isn't a lot of history behind it. He said a lot of guys before the 60s get forgotten and they are seeing what they can do to give them their due. Jeff said the luncheon will be a blast and Goose is a riot. Thom said that he believes Tim McCarver should be in the HOF. Marty said he couldn't agree more. (Guys, it's the Hall of Fame not the Hall of Suck.)

After commercial, the next caller asked if Micah Owings would be a candidate for the open LF spot. Thom isn't sure how well he'd do as an everyday player. He said he's a great hitter as a pitcher and he put up great minor league numbers and started off well last year but he got hurt. He thinks the Reds are going to look at him as a pitcher and not an everyday player.

The next caller asked if they had any good Herb Score stories and Marty said he didn't since they only really saw them during Spring Training.

The next caller says the Reds desperately need a RH bat and since they missed out on Holliday, who would be their choices. Marty said he doesn't know and the Reds probably never had a real shot at Holliday since the Reds wouldn't give up any young pitching. He said it was good Holliday went to the AL because he was scared that he'd end up in StL. Thom said you have to look at a team who is cutting payroll as a trading partner. He said San Diego is a team like that but they don't really have a RH bat the Reds want. Thom said Atkins is in line to make a bunch of money and that's why the Rockies want to trade him. Marty has faith that Walt will come through. He said he's as closed mouthed about potential deals as any GM since Howsam. He said the best way to screw up a trade is to blab about it and it's not his business or the fans' business to know about potential trades. Thom asked about Daugherty's "stand pat" column the other day and Marty disagreed that the Reds should stand pat.

After commercial, the next caller asked if Volquez was a fluke or would he continue to be successful. Thom said all Volquez has to worry about is staying healthy. Marty agreed and said he thinks Cueto will improve next year. He understands why they are the first two names teams ask about when they talk trade with the Reds.

The next caller asked what the Reds theme next year should be. Marty said it should be "It's time to rock and roll." The caller wondered how the Reds would market the team without having a tried and true product on the field. Marty said that's up to the Reds marketing department.

The next caller asked about some of the younger minor league players, Dickerson in particular. Thom said one of the most difficult parts of being a GM is evaluating guys like Dickerson who has had short term success in the majors but his track record is less than stellar. Thom also used Hariston as an example. Thom said he was the best player on the team when he played and they were 15 games over .500 when he played but he's an injury prone .240 career hitter. Thom suggested that those two might platoon in CF next year. Marty thought that was a pretty good idea.

This endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 11-11-08. So let it be written. So let it be done.

remdog
11-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Thom said that he believes Tim McCarver should be in the HOF. Marty said he couldn't agree more.

Now that's a damning statement!

As a proper Brit might say, "Idjot!"

Rem

BRM
11-12-2008, 11:04 PM
The Reds were 15 games over when Hairston played. Throw a pile o' cash at that guy and get him signed ASAP!

Highlifeman21
11-12-2008, 11:18 PM
I gotta give you credit, Chip.

There's no way I could ever stomach that much concentrated Marty as you do...

WVRedsFan
11-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the reports, Chip!

bucksfan2
11-13-2008, 08:26 AM
The next caller asked what the Reds should do with their 3B situation. Thom said that EE may be the hardest guy in the NL to figure. He said he's the kind of a guy who gets GMs hired and fired. If you keep him and he does what he's done the last couple of years, that isn't a good thing but if you trade him and he breaks out, you look like an idiot. Marty said that he's had long enough to be more consistent than he is. He wonders how long do you wait on him. Marty said there has been talk about him moving to LF and if you make a deal for a 3B like Atkins, then he's OK with EE in LF because Atkins' bat takes some of the pressure off EE. Thom isn't ready to throw in the towel on him yet and would give him one more year.

I think thats the best explanation of Edwin I have seen.

lollipopcurve
11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
The next caller asked Marty how he manages to stay so upbeat when the Reds are slumping. Marty said that you have to take the bad with the good. He said he's been around 3 world championship teams so no one should feel sorry for him. He said Vin Scully told him that when you're doing games for a bad team, you have to take each game as a season in itself. You focus on the guys who are having good years.

But "you" does not mean the Franchester (i.e., The Franchise).

dfs
11-13-2008, 08:40 AM
The next caller asked Marty how he manages to stay so upbeat when the Reds are slumping.

Oh my.

Words fail me.

Heath
11-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Boy, EdE in LF. I'm still not sold on it.

Also, judging Dusty's lineups, he'd be part of some rotational shuffle.

Reds Nd2
11-13-2008, 10:47 PM
(Marty had no comment.)

http://assets.hulu.com/shows/key_art_the_day_the_earth_stood_still.jpg

Will M
11-13-2008, 10:53 PM
EE goes to LF if the Reds get a stud defensive third baseman(ie Beltre).

If they get a guy like Atkins I'd leave EE at 3B and pray he gets better. Atkins can keep 1B warm for Alonso (who by reports is a better defensive first baseman than Votto) and Votto plays LF. If EE doesn't ever get better at 3B he goes when Frazier is ready.

2010/2011 lineup:
1B Alonso
2B Phillips
SS ???
3B Frazier
RF Bruce
CF Stubbs
LF Votto
C Hanigan?

reds44
11-14-2008, 04:10 AM
I am a big Thom fan. The majority of the time he seems to know what he is talking about.