PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier Hoops

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

BRM
09-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Selby trimmed his list down to six over the weekend and IU is still in the running. He isn't expected to sign until next spring at the earliest though.

The six:

Baylor
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Miami
Syracuse

BRM
10-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Has anyone seen ESPN's College Basketball Encyclopedia yet? Jeff Sagarin has a computer-based ranking of the top programs of all-time in it and Indiana is 5th. The top five are Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas, North Carolina and Indiana.

Inside The Hall has a link to the complete list. It's here (http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf).

BRM
10-08-2009, 10:07 AM
From ITH.

Buried near the bottom of an Associated Press story about Bob Knight taking a jab at the NCAA (surprise, surprise) was confirmation that the former coach is still undecided on his plans for November 6:

Knight was fired at Indiana in 2000 after violating a zero-tolerance behavioral policy. He said Tuesday he hadn’t decided whether to attend his induction into the university’s athletics Hall of Fame on Nov. 6. He hasn’t returned to the school since his firing.

Undecided is certainly better than no, right? While it was once inconceivable that Knight would return, it seems like Indiana will do everything within reason to get him back to Bloomington. Whether it works, well, that’s anybody’s guess.

redsfanmia
10-08-2009, 06:58 PM
From ITH.

For what its worth Dan Datkich said on his radio show that Knight will be there.

Hoosier Red
10-21-2009, 05:04 PM
I have to say, I like the cut of these kids' jib (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4581593).

"We're going to hang banners and win awards before we leave here," Elston said. "But we're also going to change the program. We're going to be the team people talk about for a long time, the ones that brought Indiana back. That's something a lot of people don't get the chance to do."

"I know this: We won't be scared or intimidated by anyone," Capobianco said. "We won't be out there with pee running down our legs. We want to be the team where people are sitting in the stands thinking, 'How in the world are they winning this game?' We want that stunned silence, like people can't believe what they're seeing."

BRM
10-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Gotta say, I love those quotes.

Razor Shines
10-31-2009, 08:26 AM
Dick Vitale has announced that Bob Knight will not attend the HOF Ceremony via his Twitter account.

http://twitter.com/dickiev/status/5239150647

BRM
11-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Dick Vitale has announced that Bob Knight will not attend the HOF Ceremony via his Twitter account.

http://twitter.com/dickiev/status/5239150647

Disappointed but not surprised.

Hoosier Red
11-02-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm a little dissapointed in Coach Knight letting Vitale be his mouthpiece.

Ah well, more sun shines on Jerry Yeagley this Saturday and that's something that everyone should appreciate.

BRM
11-03-2009, 10:29 AM
From Inside The Hall:

When you’re the athletic director of a school that’s never won a national championship in basketball, you are forced to creatively sell your program as some sort of juggernaut. That, my friends, is exactly what Purdue’s athletic director, Morgan Burke, did recently at a tipoff dinner for his Boilermakers (http://www.jconline.com/article/20091028/SPORTS02010201/910280338/Purdue-hopes-to-enhance-basketball-legacy).

Speaking about how wonderful a time it is to be a Purdue basketball fan, Burke served up this one-liner:

“It should not come as a surprise, because Purdue leads the conference with 21 Big Ten championships. Nobody else has 21, not even the people down south of Indianapolis.”
And here is my rebuttal: “It should not come as a surprise, because Indiana leads the conference with five national championships. Nobody else has five. And the people north of Indianapolis are still waiting for their first.”

Nice try, Morgan.

Hoosier Red
11-03-2009, 11:23 AM
From Inside The Hall:

I'm really hoping this Purdue team doesn't make the final four because this is going to be their best and maybe last chance for a while.

While I think Painter's a good coach who will always have Purdue on the top half of the Big 10, this 5 man recruiting class was his chance, like Thad Matta's class at tOSU to make his true mark. If they fall short this year, Johnson's likely gone for the NBA and Purdue is going to be left with a bunch of role players.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle that.

Hoosier Red
11-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Bawa Muniru cleared to play.

from www.idsnews.com

Tom Crean just tweeted freshman center Bawa Muniru is eligible:

BRM
11-16-2009, 10:29 AM
No comments from Friday night's game?

I know one thing. I am already a huge Derek Elston fan.

Hoosier Red
11-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Didn't see anything but Elston sounds like he really impressed.

IU just got a committment from Will Sheehey, a 3 star wing(I think IU's going to run the all wing offense next year.)

BRM
11-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Didn't see anything but Elston sounds like he really impressed.

IU just got a committment from Will Sheehey, a 3 star wing(I think IU's going to run the all wing offense next year.)

Watford and Creek did as well but I expected them to. Wasn't sure what to see from Elston so he was a very nice surprise. Watford and Elston give them some nice athleticism and depth in the front court.

I saw that on Sheehey.

David Williams de-committed last week. I'm sure most saw that already though.

Razor Shines
11-17-2009, 04:50 PM
I thought played pretty well for most of last night's game. I changed the channel when they were up by 20+ points and then I changed it back and they were only up nine. I'm not sure what happened towards the end of the game, but I don't like the fact that they let that team back in. I guess it's mostly because they're young.

I'm liking Rivers a lot. He's better than I thought he'd be and I'm glad that Hulls gets to ease into the point and doesn't have it all thrown on him as a freshmen.

Hoosier Red
11-17-2009, 04:52 PM
I agree Razor, the only real dissapointments last night were Dumes and Pritchard had ugly games but that will happen.
Rivers played a little bit too fast from the sound of it and IU turned the ball over 18 times(26.4%) which is abysmal and is where they were last year.

That said, I'm still thinking a 14-15 win campaign is certainly doable. Should be interesting to see what they do in Puerto Rico this week.

Playadlc
11-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm thinking .500 is a realistic goal for this team. An NIT appearance would be huge.

Revering4Blue
11-17-2009, 09:17 PM
With at least 5 players at least 6'9", interior defense should be improved. I like the potential of Bawa Muniru, at least on the defensive side of the ball. More depth than last year, too. The growth process cannot be expedited. It's going to be interesting.

BRM
11-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm thinking .500 is a realistic goal for this team. An NIT appearance would be huge.

Agreed. I would be thrilled with an NIT appearance at this point.

Razor Shines
11-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Even turning the ball over 21 times IU still could have been in that game, but you can't go 12-27 from the free throw line and expect to win. Even shooting that bad from the line they still might have had a chance if they shot better than 3-15 from the 3 pt line.

Talen wise I think they are a better team than they showed last night. Take care of the ball a little and hit free throws and they have a good shot to win that game. But they're young and it's still early in the season.

I know that I was talking up Rivers, but I keep thinking that his high TOs are just a fluke, but that's three games in a row with 4 turnovers. Starting to worry about that.

dabvu2498
11-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Even turning the ball over 21 times IU still could have been in that game, but you can't go 12-27 from the free throw line and expect to win. Even shooting that bad from the line they still might have had a chance if they shot better than 3-15 from the 3 pt line. Talen wise I think they are a better team than they showed last night. Take care of the ball a little and hit free throws and they have a good shot to win that game. But they're young and it's still early in the season. I know that I was talking up Rivers, but I keep thinking that his high TOs are just a fluke, but that's three games in a row with 4 turnovers. Starting to worry about that. Rivers is a charge waiting to happen. That said, he and Creek were the only 2 that could create much offense last night. Their problems will be defensive. They couldn't guard Ole Miss off the bounce and when they went zone it was o rebound city.

BRM
11-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Rivers is a charge waiting to happen. That said, he and Creek were the only 2 that could create much offense last night. Their problems will be defensive. They couldn't guard Ole Miss off the bounce and when they went zone it was o rebound city.

Rivers has been touted as being an outstanding perimeter defender. So far I haven't seen it. He might be the best they have at the moment but they still struggle quite a bit with their on ball defense.

DTCromer
11-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I haven't posted much, if anything, in this thread, but I'll start out by saying this. I'll consider IU my 2nd favorite team since I've partied there numerous times when in college and I've had numerous friends and both my sisters graduate from there.

The thing I loved about last year's team and this year's team is that the team plays hard. Not only that, you can see Crean coaching even harder on the sidelines. I think with the talent in the state of Indiana and Crean's recruiting efforts, the'll easily be officially "back" next year. They still have a loooooong way to go, but I'm excited for the direction of the program.

BRM
11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Bob Knight is returning to Indiana after all.

The former Hoosiers coach will speak at a Dec. 17 fundraiser in Indianapolis to benefit the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame.

The event comes less than six weeks after Knight missed a ceremony inducting him into Indiana University's athletics Hall of Fame in Bloomington.

Knight's exclusion from the IU hall had been a contentious issue since then-President Myles Brand fired him in September 2000 for violating a zero-tolerance policy.

Knight said he would not attend the ceremony because he did not want to detract from the other inductees.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/11/20/knight.ap/index.html

BRM
11-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Settling in for the Long Haul
by Matt Dollinger (http://www.insidethehall.com/author/dollinger/) in Commentary (http://www.insidethehall.com/category/commentary/) | November 23rd, 2009

MY COUCH – The Puerto Rico Tip-Off delivered just as promised.
But instead of a jump ball, the preseason tournament’s tip-off was more of the insider information variety.

The message was clear, whether you watched the games or the live blog. Despite the influx of talent, IU Basketball might not live up to the hopes some optimists placed on them before the season.

A double-digit win season now seems lofty. A .500 record would likely include a pair of glass slippers and a horse-drawn carriage made out of pumpkin.

Most Hoosier fans are currently mourning this weekend’s activities – and/or coming off a binge necessitated by the Old Oaken Bucket game – but I’m here to tell you that not all was lost in the gyms of San Juan.

My glass usually sits half-empty, but I can say without hesitation that the Hoosiers are a better team right now than they were at this point last season. As someone who had a courtside seat to Tom Crean and the greenest team in Cream and Crimson history all of last year, I can tell the Hoosiers have taken a step in the right direction.

Last season’s December losses to Northeastern and Lipscomb were gut wrenching; this year’s November defeats to Boston and George Mason are closer to stomach-able.

Although, certainly not enjoyable. After handing it to Howard and edging out USC Upstate to open the season, three consecutive losses reminds us just how far the men’s basketball program still has to go on its path to reclamation.

Around this time last year, I was in Hawaii covering the Hoosiers in the Maui Invitational (read: golfing). Before the tournament, IU registered wins over Northwestern State and IUPUI to open the season. No one was calling them world-beaters, but no one was quite anticipating the 38-point shellacking Notre Dame handed them to open the tournament either.

Expectations adjusted and reality hit harder than a Tijan Jobe screen. IU followed the loss with a 26-point defeat to Saint Josephs the next day before outlasting the Chaminade Silverswords in the seventh-place game.

This year, a tropical tournament seems to have weathered IU fans’ hopes once again. A banked 3-pointer and three straight losses will do that to you.

The difference this year is the Hoosiers have showed flashes of promise and talent that just weren’t there last season. Despite their struggles, IU has been competitive in every game this season. Even better, the IU men’s basketball team lost games it should have won this past weekend – when was the last time you could say that?

Crean might not be playing walk-ons and outfielders anymore, but he is still reliant on true freshmen adapting to the college level. In spurts, this year’s team has already displayed the type of offensive ability and defensive prowess that was missing from last year’s 6-25 team.

A difficult upcoming schedule could leave their record indicating otherwise, but the Hoosiers are getting better. They might not pull off the number of upsets some were hoping, but this year’s team will have its moments.

Hoosier fans should settle in for the long haul and be patient with this year’s bunch. There is a reason IU signed Crean to a 10-year contract.

This year’s team would handily beat last year’s – it’s just hard to tell just quite yet whom else they could beat.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2009/11/23/settling-in-for-the-long-haul/#more-4426

BRM
11-23-2009, 12:07 PM
More from Crean:

Crean on his rotation: “We’ve got a lot of determinations to make. How do we really want to play? I’m trying to play to many guys right now. But we want to run. Are we going to all out after it and press more? Are we going to shrink the bench? I don’t have a rotation.”

Crean pleased with Capobianco’s play: “We had a real heart-to-heart the other night about him taking the steps. And it was really at a crossroads. He’s got it in him. He’s been very, very serious since our first night. And he always practices hard, but he always doesn’t play with confidence. This is on the plus side, going home to have him step in and play like that. But at the same time, he’s gotta learn to play through the contact. He can’t throw the ball up.”

George Mason is young, but it’s different at Indiana: Crean: “Those guys, when they’re in there young, they’ve got people handing it down. They didn’t have to send off everybody because of drugs and because of academics. All of these programs have had people hand it down. It may not have been great players handing it down, but we don’t have that.”

flyer85
11-23-2009, 12:47 PM
George Mason is young, but it’s different at Indiana: Crean: “Those guys, when they’re in there young, they’ve got people handing it down. They didn’t have to send off everybody because of drugs and because of academics. All of these programs have had people hand it down. It may not have been great players handing it down, but we don’t have that.” which is the Izzo/Crean model. Rather than the coach yelling and enforcing his will all the time they want the upper classmen to lead and set the example for the young guys. Which mean it may be year 4 or 5 until you start to see what Crean is trying to build. There aren't really any shortcuts.

BRM
12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
My hope/desire for a .500 season is slowly waning. Still love watching them compete but right now I just don't see 15 wins.

jimbo
12-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Which mean it may be year 4 or 5 until you start to see what Crean is trying to build. There aren't really any shortcuts.

We saw just that at UD, with the Izzo/Gregory model. Gregory caught a lot of flack during the growing pain years, there was much doubt amongst the fan base. We are now seeing the results of being patient and letting him build the foundation.

Playadlc
12-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Nice win for the Hoosiers tonight.

While I don't think Pittsburgh is a great team, for IU to go to New York and beat a 6-1 team on national television is enormous.

Razor Shines
12-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, they played better than I thought they were capable of playing. And they still didn't shoot that well. But one thing is for sure: Tom Crean can teach a zone defense.

Hoosier Red
12-09-2009, 09:11 AM
And they did it with their leading scorer (Creek) having an off night.

Capobianco and Elston really looked like they'll be able to contribute decent minutes. That was my number one concern and Elston has looked great.

BRM
12-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Best I've seen them play, no doubt. One thing is for sure, they are a different squad when Rivers is on the floor.

flyer85
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Nice win for the Hoosiers tonight.

While I don't think Pittsburgh is a great team, for IU to go to New York and beat a 6-1 team on national television is enormous.very good win. It showed that at least this year the Hoosiers can beat a solid team if they don't give a good effort (last year the opponent just needed to show up).

BRM
12-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Maurice Creek suffered a left knee fracture last night. He is having season ending surgery on his left knee today. Huge blow for the Hoosiers.

Check out the looks on the faces of Jones and Elston in this pic.

http://www.insidethehall.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/creekbryant.jpg

BRM
12-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Coach Crean's comments:

“I’ll start with an update on Maurice (Creek), he has a fracture of his left knee and will have surgery tomorrow. I am in the process of getting his parents here so they can be here for the surgery. I don’t have many more updates than that. He is a very, very special young man. It’s gut-wrenching in so many fronts when you see a young man like that go down, who works as hard as he does. It’s a little different for us as the Crean’s and for the coaches because he was probably going to be with us where ever we were at, whether it was Marquette or here at Indiana.”

“For him to come with us here sight unseen, and commit four months before he ever saw the campus, that’s a special young man from a special family. Obviously our number one concern is that everything goes well throughout that surgery and I have great confidence that it will. I told the players this is one of the reasons that you come to Indiana that you hope you never have to use – the professional care that you get when you come to a school like Indiana. With the resources that we have here, it’s tremendous. He is in great hands there.”

“Our team certainly feels for him. They had a very good performance tonight. They did a lot of really good things. Obviously we are playing a team that is going through growing pains and doesn’t have a great record, but when you hold a team to 25 percent from the field, and 18 percent from the three-point line, it’s really about what your team is doing. We needed to have a game like that and we had a game like that. More importantly than that, they really, really feel for their teammate, and as a coach you hate to ever see anyone go through that. But also as a coach and a leader of the program, you know that you have a program on the right path, when they care that way about their teammate. They are going to have to mature.”

“I was asked a question from John Laskowski, what the difference going into the Big Ten, and I said, well the biggest fear is the maturity you have to have moving forward and now that maturity is going to get tested even more. Not just because he’s the third-leading scoring freshman in the country, but because Maurice Creek on the court brings confidence because of his athleticism, talent, and his ability to score. That’s what great players do, they bring confidence to their teammates. Now, we are going to have to find confidence from one another. We will have to continue to find that confidence from our crowd. They are stunned right now, but then they are going to be stung. We said to the team, in football they talk about next man up and it’s not a situation here where one individual is going to come in and get 18 points a game, everybody has to do more and that’s the bottom line.”

Razor Shines
12-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah, that sucks. Any chance IU had of being competitive in Big Ten games went down with Creek.

Donder
12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I guess Crean should have pulled his starters early in the second half? :dunno:

Boston Red
12-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Terrible to hear about Creek's injury. I have not seen IU's team play this year, but just based on that picture it looks like IU's guys need some quality time at the training table and in the weight room.

gilpdawg
12-30-2009, 03:02 AM
Yeah, Creek is the real deal. He'll be the linchpin to future success if he comes back ok from this injury. But he's pretty much the only guy right now. Everybody else has a lot of work to do.

Hoosier Red
12-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Terrible to hear about Creek's injury. I have not seen IU's team play this year, but just based on that picture it looks like IU's guys need some quality time at the training table and in the weight room.

Probably true, two of those guys, Hulls and Creek, are freshman. Pritchard is a sophomore who came in very undersized, and believe it or not Jones(the one on the right) actually gained about 20 lbs in the off season.

BRM
12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Huge win for the Hoosiers today. They showed a lot of mental toughness and guys stepped up to fill the void left by Creek's injury. Great win. It just made my day!

Hoosier Red
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Absolutely great to see.

I admitted to being wrong about two things, 1) I thought Jordan Hulls wouldn't be able to contribute until the end of his sophomore year. 2) I winced when I heard about VJ III's improvement at the end of last year and bulking up this off season. My fear was that he'd never be a great player and would only impede Creek and Watford's progress. I'm glad he's stayed and he's the most complete player on the team right now.

BRM
01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Anyone watch the game last night? I didn't get to see it but I heard it was pretty ugly.

bucksfan2
01-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Anyone watch the game last night? I didn't get to see it but I heard it was pretty ugly.

About 4 minutes of it. Evan Turner was back for the Buckeye's which was a good thing. Apparently Diebler went off. In what I saw it was about a 30 point working margin.

Hoosier Red
01-07-2010, 10:32 AM

If you take out the pretty part, you'd have it right. It was just plain ugly. Couldn't create any offense, a lot of stupid turnovers, and tOSU could do pretty much whatever they wanted. I think with about 6 minutes left in the first half IU was still stuck at 8 points.

Razor Shines
01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
If you take out the pretty part, you'd have it right. It was just plain ugly. Couldn't create any offense, a lot of stupid turnovers, and tOSU could do pretty much whatever they wanted. I think with about 6 minutes left in the first half IU was still stuck at 8 points.

Yeah, they looked really, really bad. Like, last year bad.

BRM
01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Well, I DVR'ed it so I could watch it tonight but I think I'll just delete it. The growing pains of a very young team are going to be tough.

Chip R
01-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah, they looked really, really bad. Like, last year bad.

At least you'll get to play Iowa. They're awful. Lickliter's even got his kid playing.

Hoosier Red
01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I bet Lickliter wishes he was back at Butler now.

Hope Brad Stevens has learned from the plight of all coaches not named Thad.

flyer85
01-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I bet Lickliter wishes he was back at Butler now.

Hope Brad Stevens has learned from the plight of all coaches not named Thad.
The grass isn't always greener in the BCS pasture. Someone has to finish last. BTW, Alford seems much better off at New Mexico.

BRM
01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
The grass isn't always greener in the BCS pasture. Someone has to finish last. BTW, Alford seems much better off at New Mexico.

Yes he does. He's got a nice squad this year.

Donder
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I was watching the game last night. They mentioned that it was IU's first true road game. That blew my mind.

BRM
01-07-2010, 04:37 PM
I was watching the game last night. They mentioned that it was IU's first true road game. That blew my mind.

That's true. They played in Puerto Rico and the Pitt game was in Madison Square Garden. That was it away from Bloomington. I think quite a few teams are that way in their non-conference schedule. Primarily playing at home or at neutral sites.

Revering4Blue
01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Indiana has emerged as one option for former Rutgers center Gregory Echenique in his quest to transfer to a new school, according to a source close to recruitment.

Echenique, sitting out the season with an eye injury, decided to leave the Rutgers program and search for a new home. His release from the Rutgers program was announced Friday.

At 6-9, 265, Echenique was averaging 12.6 points and 7.7 rebounds when he was injured.

IU continues to rebuild in its second year under Tom Crean and is 7-7 overall, 1-1 in the Big Ten Conference.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-01-09/indiana-emerges-transfer-option-for-echenique

Playadlc
01-15-2010, 03:11 AM
What a pathetic finish to the game tonight. 21-2 run? Wow.

I mean, I understand our situation and everything, but we really play poor basketball. People can talk all they want about us needing better players, and obviously we do, but it doesn't take 5 star recruits to make simple passes, block out, shoot FTs, etc, etc.

There are times, I literally have no idea what we are trying to do offensively. They just kind of weave around until someone decides it's time to shoot.

It's really tough to watch this program be this far down.

BearcatShane
01-15-2010, 03:44 AM
What a pathetic finish to the game tonight. 21-2 run? Wow.

I mean, I understand our situation and everything, but we really play poor basketball. People can talk all they want about us needing better players, and obviously we do, but it doesn't take 5 star recruits to make simple passes, block out, shoot FTs, etc, etc.

There are times, I literally have no idea what we are trying to do offensively. They just kind of weave around until someone decides it's time to shoot.

It's really tough to watch this program be this far down.

This sounds very similar to posts I'v made about UC over the past 4 years. Hopefully IU's rebuilding plan comes to fruition faster.

WMR
01-18-2010, 10:25 AM
IU fans stormed the court after beating Minnesota?!

Hoosier Red
01-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah we're taking a lot of grief over that.
At this point I'd storm the court after beating Kentucky

Wesleyan.

It's hard to say anything bad about people who go to IU games. Last year they were 16th in the country in attendance(higher than Purdue)for a team that went 6-23.

When you get 17,017 to show up for a team that's won 2 Big Ten games in 2 years, do whatever you want.

Razor Shines
01-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Well, I think most them got drunk in the parking lot before the game and then then IU surprised them with a win, they saw Tubby Smith on the sideline and got confused, thinking for a moment we just beat Kentucky.

WMR
01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
I've got to admit I find it extremely weak. IU fans should know better and have more respect for themselves and the history of their program.

Reds4Life
01-18-2010, 12:42 PM
I've got to admit I find it extremely weak. IU fans should know better and have more respect for themselves and the history of their program.

For the most part, the history of programs today is a thing of the past. It's all about what you've done as of late.

Playadlc
01-18-2010, 02:42 PM

The storming of the court had nothing to do with the opponent as much as the relief of an emotional, hard-fought win.

IU fans have had their heartbroken time and time again in both football and basketball over the past couple of years, and to actually have things go well at the end of a game saw a release of a lot of frustration. So storming the court on this one wasn't a problem for me.

BRM
01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I admit I thought it was a little cheesy but I certainly understand it. I was pretty fired up at the end of that game as well.

cumberlandreds
01-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Give them a break. They thought Tubby was still coaching Kentucky. ;)

Razor Shines
01-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Give them a break. They thought Tubby was still coaching Kentucky. ;)

Already said it, although yours was more concise and just better.

cumberlandreds
01-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Already said it, although yours was more concise and just better.

Sorry I just read a couple of posts. I actaully thought that when I was watching Sunday.

BRM
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
The Iowa at Indiana men’s basketball game this Sunday has been moved from a 5 p.m. (Eastern) tipoff to a 6 p.m. Tipoff. The game will be televised on the Big Ten Network.

The change was pursuant to discussions between IU Athletic Director Fred Glass and the Big Ten Conference to avoid as much conflict as possible with Sunday’s AFC Championship game featuring the Indianapolis Colts and the New York Jets on Sunday. That game is scheduled to start at 3 p.m.

“My primary goal in all this is to get as many people in Assembly Hall as possible,” said Glass. “What this does for us, is the people in and around Assembly Hall, primarily students and faculty and staff, can watch pretty much the entire Colts game, and still get to our game. So hopefully that’s significant. We appreciate the cooperation of the Big Ten Conference, the Big Ten Network and the University of Iowa.”

Hoosier Red
01-21-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm going to the game on Sunday and I really wished they hadn't changed the start time. Now instead of just committing to missing the Colts game, I'm going to miss some of both.

WMR
01-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Who do they play and are you planning on rushing the court if they win? :D

Hoosier Red
01-21-2010, 03:44 PM

Iowa. and No.

BRM
01-21-2010, 04:16 PM

Heck yeah. But I rush the court when our 4th grade team wins so what do I know.

Hoosier Red
01-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Well I think if IU wins on Sunday it establishes itself as clearly the 9th best team in the Big 10.

First road Big 10 win since the Dakich era. I'll take it.

Razor Shines
01-22-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm very surprised that they are .500 in the Big Ten 6 games in without Creek. I'm pretty impressed with how well Crean has them playing.

BRM
01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm very surprised that they are .500 in the Big Ten 6 games in without Creek. I'm pretty impressed with how well Crean has them playing.

Same here. When Creek went down I thought they'd be lucky to win 1 or 2 games in conference play.

ChazzReinhold
01-22-2010, 09:14 AM

Even as a person who follows IU and roots for them, I'm still scratching my head. IU fans are showing their amateurism. I know most of those kids were like 8-9 years old when IU last did something worthwhile, but come on. Act like you've been there before. (Which after further review, looks as if they haven't.:cool:)

ChazzReinhold
01-22-2010, 09:17 AM

Mehhh, for IU's standards this year, they're doing OK. ABout what you'd expect really. 3-3 so far with those 3 wins against a Michigan team who's extremely inconsistent, a PSU team who's terrible, and a home game vs a MInny team who's not doing as well as everyone thought. They'll be 4-3 after Sunday's game vs Iowa.

However after Sunday, I'd be surprised if they won more than 2 games the rest of the way in the Big 10. Reality will set in.

Hoosier Red
01-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Mehhh, for IU's standards this year, they're doing OK. ABout what you'd expect really. 3-3 so far with those 3 wins against a Michigan team who's extremely inconsistent, a PSU team who's terrible, and a home game vs a MInny team who's not doing as well as everyone thought. They'll be 4-3 after Sunday's game vs Iowa.

However after Sunday, I'd be surprised if they won more than 2 games the rest of the way in the Big 10. Reality will set in.

No doubt, February will be brutal. I'm pretty sure the steady diet of Purdue, Sparty, and Wisconsin will erase a lot of the good feelings. But considering where the team was a year ago, double digit wins overall, only one really bad loss on the seasonk, you can definately see progress this year.

Given the ashes the team is having to rise up from I'll settle for progress for these first few years.

Razor Shines
01-22-2010, 01:56 PM

Yeah, but they're missing their best player. I know those teams aren't very good, but honestly I thought IU was worse, without Creek.

Hoosier Red
01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Even as a person who follows IU and roots for them, I'm still scratching my head. IU fans are showing their amateurism. I know most of those kids were like 8-9 years old when IU last did something worthwhile, but come on. Act like you've been there before. (Which after further review, looks as if they haven't.:cool:)

Actually, any college freshman was 4 or 5 years old the last time IU won a stand alone Big Ten Championship(they've tied a few times since then) and been a #1 seed in the tourney.

ChazzReinhold
01-24-2010, 10:44 PM
No doubt, February will be brutal. I'm pretty sure the steady diet of Purdue, Sparty, and Wisconsin will erase a lot of the good feelings. But considering where the team was a year ago, double digit wins overall, only one really bad loss on the seasonk, you can definately see progress this year.

Given the ashes the team is having to rise up from I'll settle for progress for these first few years.

I would agree. Pleasantly surprising season thus far.

However, that loss to Iowa today was absolutely brutal. Worst loss of the Crean era so far. Just terrible. He needed that win for morale sake. . . . now every game from here on out you will be a big dog.

Hoosier Red
01-24-2010, 11:04 PM
I was worried about the game going in, no energy in the crowd because everyone was watching the Colts, and the team was just sluggish.

Bad loss but its important to keep things in perspective. Iowa played well, IU didn't and if IU was going to lay an egg today was probably the best day to do it. I'm pretty sure nobody in Indy will be talking about the Hoosiers tomorrow.

Hoosier Red
01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Damn that was rough.

Probably the best game IU has played this year. The wins against Pitt, Minnesota and Michigan were tempered by the fact that the opponent clearly didn't play very well.

Would have been very nice to come out of the other assembly hall with a win.

Playadlc
02-04-2010, 04:03 AM
I am going to the game tonight and I am really looking forward to it.

A win tonight would be sweet. Man, do I hate Purdue.

Hoosier Red
02-04-2010, 10:13 PM
DANGIT
Layups and Free throws. Hopefully this team gets better at those as they grow up but another hell of an effort goes for naught.

WMR
02-05-2010, 01:56 AM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/grammarpolicia/choke.jpg

:eek:

rdiersin
02-05-2010, 05:52 AM

I would hate to be Kelsey Barlow when Matt Painter sees that picture. I don't think he will be too happy about that. Barlow's a freshman, and freshman do stupid things.

Razor Shines
02-05-2010, 06:50 AM
I would hate to be Kelsey Barlow when Matt Painter sees that picture. I don't think he will be too happy about that. Barlow's a freshman, and freshman do stupid things.

Yeah, unless he was doing that to one of his teammates it doesn't really make any sense. I am pretty sure the 7th ranked team in the country should have blown out a team that's not even .500.

Hoosier Red
02-05-2010, 07:09 AM

I would have liked to see Barlow's face had VJ III's last shot went in and Purdue had to go 5 more minutes.

On the play in question I think Verdell thought he'd be fouled but Kramer whiffed on it(perhaps just tried to avoid the foul.)

rdiersin
02-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Yeah, unless he was doing that to one of his teammates it doesn't really make any sense. I am pretty sure the 7th ranked team in the country should have blown out a team that's not even .500.

Hey he could have actually been choking. ;) As a Purdue fan, I hate to see that sort of thing though. My guess is maybe there was some trash talking going on between him and Jones. Ok by me, that may mean Lewis Jackson will start to get more playing time and that is what this team needs.

Hoosier Red
02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Hey he could have actually been choking. ;) As a Purdue fan, I hate to see that sort of thing though. My guess is maybe there was some trash talking going on between him and Jones. Ok by me, that may mean Lewis Jackson will start to get more playing time and that is what this team needs.

Not that he benefits Purdue a great deal but will Keaton Grant EVER graduate? My goodness it seems like he's on the Evan Eschmeyer plan.
I know engineers are supposed to take 5 years at Purdue but dang.

Playadlc
02-05-2010, 04:26 PM

LOL at this.

We are at an all-time low over the past two years and this is one of the best teams Purdue has ever had. Despite that, it took a young IU team "choking" for Purdue to win.

Barlow needs to get a clue.

rdiersin
02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Not that he benefits Purdue a great deal but will Keaton Grant EVER graduate? My goodness it seems like he's on the Evan Eschmeyer plan.
I know engineers are supposed to take 5 years at Purdue but dang.

I don't think he even redshirted. It's just Purdue's program was at a low when he and Kramer came in that they have played for all 4 years they have been there. I understand what you mean though, I feel that way about Trevon Hughes. I always seem to forget what year he is, but I think it is because I confuse him with Flowers when they were both together.

SunDeck
02-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Todd Leary is in big trouble:

HeraldTimesOnline.com
Former IU player Todd Leary facing 17 felony charges
By Nicole Brooks 331-4232 | nbrooks@heraldt.com
February 5, 2010

Todd Christopher Leary, a former Indiana University basketball player and IU radio announcer, faces multiple felony charges in Fort Wayne after investigators uncovered a multi-million dollar title insurance fraud.
Leary, 39, of Carmel, is a radio color commentator for the IU Radio Network. He also played for the IU team from 1989 to 1994, including a Final Four game in ’94. He was arrested at Assembly Hall Thursday about an hour before the start of the IU-Purdue University men’s basketball game.
After a night at the Monroe County Jail, he was taken today to Allen County, where the warrant for his arrest originated. He was being held on $60,000 surety bond at the county jail in Fort Wayne.
He faces 17 preliminary counts of conspiracy to commit conversion or misappropriation of title insurance escrow funds. Two counts are class D felonies, nine are class C felonies, and six are B felonies.
According to a probable cause affidavit filed in Allen Superior Court, an investigation launched in November 2009 into former title insurance broker Joseph Garretson’s illegal business practices lead to the charges against Leary.
Several homeowners in Allen County had reported they had worked with Garretson’s Fort Wayne Title to refinance their homes. The homeowners learned their previous mortgages “were either never satisfied, or not immediately satisfied,” contrary to statements provided by Fort Wayne Title.
Thirteen refinanced mortgages or sales/purchases processed by Fort Wayne Title went unpaid, resulting in a loss of about $2.9 million, the affidavit states. Garretson’s scheme resulted in a net loss of more than $2.7 million, as Fort Wayne Title did have about $233,000 in available escrow funds.
A title insurance broker on the up-and-up will immediately pay off existing mortgages with the proceeds provided through the refinancing process, the affidavit notes.
The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette reports Garretson pleaded guilty this week in Allen Superior Court to conversion or misappropriation of title insurance escrow funds; corrupt business influence and unlawful loan origination activities. He has not yet been sentenced.
Already in hot water, Garretson told the prosecutor’s office in December about Leary, his former employee. Leary worked for Garretson from 2004 to 2006 at a mortgage company in Indianapolis called Mortgage Links, according to the affidavit. Leary left Garretson to work for former Indianapolis Colt Ken Dilger, owner of Legends Title, a title and mortgage company in Indianapolis.
Three years later, Leary asked Garretson to give him approximately $289,000. Leary needed the money to cover funds he had stolen from Legends Title, the affidavit states.
Leary told Garretson that if the money wasn’t handed over, Leary would tell on him — Leary knew about the Fort Wayne Title scam.
Leary demanded money from Garretson on several occasions, the affidavit states. Between March 11, 2008 and Feb. 12, 2009, more than $1 million was transferred into an account Leary had access to, the affidavit stated. More than $260,000 went to pay off Legends Title. Leary allegedly claimed that money had come from his father-in-law.
Leary also withdrew more than $690,000 from the account, according to the affidavit.
The address on “checks written on, and on wire transfers debited to,” the account matched the address Leary had on file with the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
Another IU basketball player was part of the investigation. Brian Evans voluntarily gave a statement to Secretary of State investigators on Dec. 21.
A day after criminal charges were filed against Garretson, Leary telephoned Evans. Leary and Evans were teammates on the IU basketball team, and it was Evans who first introduced Garretson to Leary.
According to the affidavit, Leary told Evans that Garretson had helped him (Leary) out when he was in “big trouble.” Leary also told Evans Garretson “pretty much had to help” Leary pay off his debt, because Leary knew about the Fort Wayne Title fraud.
If Leary were to be found guilty of every charge against him, he could be sentenced to 55 to 198 years in prison. In cases such as this, a prison term of that length is unlikely. Sentences for similar charges often are served concurrently.
On Thursday, IU police served the arrest warrant at Assembly Hall, where officers pulled Leary, who was preparing for his broadcast, aside.
“We had him come to an alcove there in Assembly Hall and explained the situation and the warrant,” IUPD Capt. Jerry Minger said.
That was about 6 p.m. Thursday. It took 45 minutes or so for Leary to notify IU Radio Network and Assembly Hall staff that he would not be working that night, Minger said.
“We allowed him to make arrangements.”
Police then took Leary to a waiting squad car. “He wasn’t taken out of the building in handcuffs or anything like that,” Minger said. “He was very cooperative.”
Once outside Leary was handcuffed per procedure, and taken to the Monroe County Jail. He was held until this morning, when officials picked him to take him back to Allen County.
Former Indiana basketball player Todd Leary shares his thoughts with IU broadcaster Don Fischer, right, during an exhibition game in 2006. Leary, who is in his second season with the IU Radio Network, was arrested before Thursday night's game.
Copyright: HeraldTimesOnline.com 2010

BRM
02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Did anyone see Crean's blowup last night? I had already turned the game off by that time but I hear it was a doozy.

Razor Shines
02-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Did anyone see Crean's blowup last night? I had already turned the game off by that time but I hear it was a doozy.

No, I stopped watching around halftime.

BRM
03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Anyone else heard the rumor that Derek Elston is considering transferring?

Hoosier Red
03-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Anyone else heard the rumor that Derek Elston is considering transferring?

That's the rumor I've heard with the most legs. Wouldn't surprise me too much. Crean's system only employs one post player, Pritchard and Capobianco seem to be ahead of him there and Elston's not as quick as Watford so playing the 4 wouldn't work.

And while I refuse to criticize Crean's coaching this year(1. I'm not there and 2. He just doesn't have the horses) Elston seems to bear the brunt for mistakes more than other players. When Rivers made a stupid pass on Sunday I said to my buddy, "Dangit, now Elston has to sit on the bench to pay for that mistake."

I hate to see anyone transfer, but to be honest I'm not losing a ton of sleep over Elston leaving.

Going into next year 4 spots are pretty much spoken for;
PG: Hulls, Rivers(please in this order)
W: VJ III
W: Creek
PF: Watford
C : Pritchard, Capobianco

Scrap Irony
03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Are any IU fans getting impatient with Crean, or have they resigned themselves to the work ahead?

Because the Hoosiers probably won't be very much better next year than this one. And this year is just as bad as last.

What's your outlook for Crean and company? What needs to happen next year for you to be happy?

Hoosier Red
03-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Are any IU fans getting impatient with Crean, or have they resigned themselves to the work ahead?

Because the Hoosiers probably won't be very much better next year than this one. And this year is just as bad as last.

What's your outlook for Crean and company? What needs to happen next year for you to be happy?

Next year I expect the NIT.
I'll live with a little bit less than that.

Two years from now they'll be in the tourney.

Razor Shines
03-03-2010, 12:40 AM

This year will be a slight improvement, but let's be honest a lot of this year revolved around Creek, so that may have pushed them back near last year's level.

Not sure why next year would be as bad as this year. I think Hulls will be a solid player next year and getting Creek back will be a big boost. Like Hoosier Red, I think they'll be in the NIT, but if they don't quite make it that'll be fine too.

gilpdawg
03-03-2010, 07:43 AM
The majority of IU fans are quite patient with this group. We know there's a ton of work to do. If we get to Crean's 4th year and there's still been no postseason play, then we may have a problem. His first 3 years are basically freebies, since he started from scratch.

BRM
03-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Most fans I know are still patient. However, there is definitely a contigent of fans out there that has lost their patience and are starting to doubt Coach Crean. Just read through the stuff on Peegs. It's rather sad.

I agree with Hoosier Red and Razor, I can see NIT next year.

redsfanmia
03-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Most fans I know are still patient. However, there is definitely a contigent of fans out there that has lost their patience and are starting to doubt Coach Crean. Just read through the stuff on Peegs. It's rather sad.

I agree with Hoosier Red and Razor, I can see NIT next year.

I think they can make the NIT but they have to dump a few of the kids that are not with the program, IE Rivers.

Hoosier Red
03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I think they can make the NIT but they have to dump a few of the kids that are not with the program, IE Rivers.

I think Rivers can be a decent back up PG if he can accept that role. I'm curious if part of the problems recently have been specifically him not accepting the idea of backing up Hulls.

My favorite moment from the Iowa game was when Hulls went through Rivers to catch an inbounds pass.(That's Leadership. :D)

redsfanmia
03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I think Rivers can be a decent back up PG if he can accept that role. I'm curious if part of the problems recently have been specifically him not accepting the idea of backing up Hulls.

My favorite moment from the Iowa game was when Hulls went through Rivers to catch an inbounds pass.(That's Leadership. :D)

Rivers waved Crean off last night when he tried to take him out....he needs to be gone today to set the tone.

Hoosier Red
03-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Rivers waved Crean off last night when he tried to take him out....he needs to be gone today to set the tone.

Really? I didn't see that. Depending on the circumstances(like was Crean asking or telling him to get out) I can't imagine a situation where Crean actually sent in a sub and Rivers was able to not come out. I don't even know how that would work.

Razor Shines
03-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Really? I didn't see that. Depending on the circumstances(like was Crean asking or telling him to get out) I can't imagine a situation where Crean actually sent in a sub and Rivers was able to not come out. I don't even know how that would work.

Yeah, more likely Crean was asking Rivers if he needed a "blow", as my high school coach would say.

Never was there a funnier moment in practice than when my coach would say something like "Jimmy go give Chris a blow", as in "Jimmy please sub in for Chris so he can get a rest." He'd always realize what he'd done a few seconds later, but he never did shake the habit.

Anyway, I'm betting Crean was asking Rivers if he needed a rest and Rivers was just saying he was good. Just a guess though.

Hoosier Red
03-05-2010, 03:50 PM

A friend of mine saw this today too and said it was during a free throw, Crean was signalling for Rivers and Dumes to come back and they both waived him off.

That seemed a little more disconcerting.

Hoosier Red
03-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Storm the Court! Storm the Court!;)

BRM
03-08-2010, 10:21 AM
What did you guys think of the lineup changes? Elston starting, VJ III playing PG. I like the energy Elston brings personally and hope he returns next year.

Hoosier Red
03-08-2010, 10:28 AM
What did you guys think of the lineup changes? Elston starting, VJ III playing PG. I like the energy Elston brings personally and hope he returns next year.

I do too though I think Northwestern's one of the few teams that Crean can get away with playing Watford at the three for a long time against. Unfortunately I think most wing players are a little to quick for him to defend so he's going to have to make it work as a power forward.(GAIN SOME WEIGHT PLEASE)

I think Elston's best role will be the first guy off the bench in place of Capobianco. Pritchard's lack of minutes at the end of the season is interesting to me. With Elston's expanded role, I wonder if perhaps Pritchard may be leaving.(PURE SPECULATION, I HAVE NOTHING TO BACK THIS UP WITH) I hope not because I think he's better than what he's shown this year.

BRM
03-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I do too though I think Northwestern's one of the few teams that Crean can get away with playing Watford at the three for a long time against. Unfortunately I think most wing players are a little to quick for him to defend so he's going to have to make it work as a power forward.(GAIN SOME WEIGHT PLEASE)

I think Elston's best role will be the first guy off the bench in place of Capobianco. Pritchard's lack of minutes at the end of the season is interesting to me. With Elston's expanded role, I wonder if perhaps Pritchard may be leaving.(PURE SPECULATION, I HAVE NOTHING TO BACK THIS UP WITH) I hope not because I think he's better than what he's shown this year.

Agree completely with the first paragraph. Watford can be an athletic 4 but he needs to put on some muscle. Can't see him surviving as a 3.

Elston as the first big off the bench is a good role for him. It will still give him plenty of minutes and he needs to be on the floor a lot more than he was prior to these last few games. Honestly, I hope none of these guys leave because depth is a great thing. Someone probably will though just due to the lack of minutes available next year.

BRM
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
From ITH:

This release just popped into my inbox from J.D. Campbell, Indiana assistant athletic director for media relations:

Indiana University men’s basketball coach Tom Crean informed assistant coach Roshown McLeod on Sunday that his contract would not be renewed for next year and he will no longer be with the team effective immediately.

“There is never a good time for something like this, but it is a decision that had to be made moving forward,” said Crean.

I can’t say I’m surprised by this news, considering McLeod was absent from Saturday’s win over Northwestern. McLeod’s recruiting prowess never really paid big dividends in Bloomington, which is most likely the reason he won’t be returning. The search for his replacement begins … now.

UPDATE: 10:57 a.m. by Zach Osterman

Tom Crean fielded questions this morning on the Big Ten coaches’ teleconference regarding the departure of Roshown McLeod, including the timing of the move. His response:

“There’s probably never a good time. You can’t focus on timing. You’ve gotta focus on what the right decision is. That’s the decision that I made.”

“It’s about putting the program forward and putting the program first. We’re going to do the things that we need to do.”

We’ll try to have more on this moving forward.

Hoosier Red
03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
From ITH:

Odd timing to say the least. Despite the fact that McCleod got IU in a number of recruiting conversations that it otherwise would not have been in, the actual % of winning recruits was pretty low.
How much of that can be blamed on him I don't know.

I really haven't been concerned to this point but part of the being patient approach requires that IU has better recruits actually coming to IU.

BRM
03-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Here's some more on McLeod from the Herald Times.

McLeod a former NBA player who finished his college career at Duke, was Tom Crean’s final hire two summers ago. He had been working with the Atlanta Celtics AAU program in the Atlanta area and was going to coach high school basketball before being lured away. He’d served as an assistant for only one year, at Fairfield from 2002-2003, after his pro career.

McLeod was brought in because of his ties to the Celtics and in Northern Jersey. He played for legendary high school coach Bob Hurley at St. Anthony, but Indiana had been unable to snag any talent from that area since he joined the staff. It recruited top guard Kyrie Irving, but he ultimately chose Duke.

McLeod was also instrumental in recruiting David Williams, a small forward out of Florida who verbally committed to the Hoosiers last April shortly after receiving a scholarship offer. Pundits were surprised that Indiana had offered Williams, who played with the Atlanta Celtics and was not highly regarded in recruiting circles. Williams did not sign with Indiana in October, and his father told The Herald-Times that he wanted to keep his options open.

WMR
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Freaking David Williams wants to 'keep his options open'?!?! What the hell is going on at Indiana? That kid should've been signing that LOI within 2 seconds of receiving it.

BRM
03-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Not sure what really went down with David Williams. It was a strange case all around.

chicoruiz
03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
One name I've heard mentioned on local radio as a possible replacement: former IU player Greg Graham.

BRM
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
One name I've heard mentioned on local radio as a possible replacement: former IU player Greg Graham.

Not sure how he would do in the same role that McLeod had, as lead recruiter. Graham hasn't coached above high school ball as far as I know.

Boston Red
07-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Based on Tom Crean's latest Twitter ramblings, he's apparently worked up about......big, bad Xavier. Never thought I'd see that day. Very amusing.

gilpdawg
07-12-2010, 08:31 AM
I like Crean, but I wonder if he isn't in over his head a little bit. Marquette isn't exactly a high pressure job. I can totally see Brad Stevens being the Hoosier coach in a few years. He's probably taken Butler as far as they can go, sadly, I don't see them making a run like they did again. I know he's got a huge buyout, but Indiana University has deep pockets, especially when it comes to the hoops program.

Hoosier Red
07-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Based on Tom Crean's latest Twitter ramblings, he's apparently worked up about......big, bad Xavier. Never thought I'd see that day. Very amusing.

What did he say about Xavier?

Boston Red
07-12-2010, 09:38 AM
The following comments are apparently directed at Travis Steele and Chris Mack. Xavier is, by the way, doing some good work in recruiting in Indiana these days:

"Frankly some of the assistants we go against I wouldn't let valet my car. They either would lose the keys or drive away with it"

"In all honesty there are some Head coaches that would be the same way. The ones that wake up on 3rd base and think they hit a triple kill me."

Hoosier Red
07-12-2010, 09:38 AM
I like Crean, but I wonder if he isn't in over his head a little bit. Marquette isn't exactly a high pressure job. I can totally see Brad Stevens being the Hoosier coach in a few years. He's probably taken Butler as far as they can go, sadly, I don't see them making a run like they did again. I know he's got a huge buyout, but Indiana University has deep pockets, especially when it comes to the hoops program.

Not that deep. Crean will get another 3 years at least.
Quite honestly I think anyone who believes Brad Stevens would come to IU at this point is being delusional. Why would you go work for a program which was torn down to the studs and gave the coach essentially 3 years to fix it?

Crean was a good coach at Marquette and I think he'll get things turned around, but his star had faded a little bit when he was hired. If you let him go, you're going to get a coach who didn't have even his star power.

Hoosier Red
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
The following comments are apparently directed at Travis Steele and Chris Mack. Xavier is, by the way, doing some good work in recruiting in Indiana these days:

"Frankly some of the assistants we go against I wouldn't let valet my car. They either would lose the keys or drive away with it"

"In all honesty there are some Head coaches that would be the same way. The ones that wake up on 3rd base and think they hit a triple kill me."

Well I thought the whole twitter comments were pretty weak in general but I haven't seen anything more than message board fodder that it's about Xavier.

Who is Xavier getting from Indiana?
I know they grabbed Holloway but I was under the impression he was never coming to IU once Kelvin Sanctions went away. Obviously seeing Jordan Crawford take his star turn probably grated a little but I believe that Crean ran everyone off the team in order to buy himself more patience from the fans.

From one quick look at the XU message board it looks like they're recruiting Dee Davis but IU was never recruiting him from what I understand.
I do my best not to follow recruiting so if there's someone that Xavier is getting and I'm missing let me know.

That much being said, I'm not sure what he accomplishes by throwing his frustrations up on Twitter.

Boston Red
07-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Justin Martin is from Indianapolis

D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera is a '12 Indianapolis kid that IU and Xavier are both after.

Xavier and IU have both offered Devin Davis, Jr. out of Indy.

Jeremy Hollowell out of Indy has offers from both IU and Xavier.

So the Xavier and IU people are spending a lot of time with the same people these days.

Hoosier Red
07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Justin Martin is from Indianapolis

D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera is a '12 Indianapolis kid that IU and Xavier are both after.

Xavier and IU have both offered Devin Davis, Jr. out of Indy.

Jeremy Hollowell out of Indy has offers from both IU and Xavier.

So the Xavier and IU people are spending a lot of time with the same people these days.

Gotcha. Of course while I don't like it, there's a reason IU's crying about Xavier or anyone else recruiting against them. Right now there's no doubt what the better program is.

BRM
07-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Gotcha. Of course while I don't like it, there's a reason IU's crying about Xavier or anyone else recruiting against them. Right now there's no doubt what the better program is.

It just looks bad IMO. Regardless of who he is talking about, it looks like whining.

Hoosier Red
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I agree. I think the twitter feed is better being ghost written by an IU marketing guy.

Playadlc
07-12-2010, 12:48 PM

I'm pretty sure he isn't talking about Xavier here.

gilpdawg
07-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Not that deep. Crean will get another 3 years at least.
Quite honestly I think anyone who believes Brad Stevens would come to IU at this point is being delusional. Why would you go work for a program which was torn down to the studs and gave the coach essentially 3 years to fix it?

Crean was a good coach at Marquette and I think he'll get things turned around, but his star had faded a little bit when he was hired. If you let him go, you're going to get a coach who didn't have even his star power.
I agree with you on everything except for the Stevens thing. I think he'd come in a heartbeat. It's just like Brian Kelly going to Notre Dame. It's his dream job.

But, the natives are already getting restless. My IU fan co-worker says if we aren't at least in the NIT next year he wants Crean gone and he's not alone.

My only problem is that he isn't getting the Indiana players except for that first class.

Hoosier Red
07-19-2010, 10:27 AM
He's really only had one class. Sampson hadn't recruited anyone from Indiana for the 2008-2009 class. Crean came and got a pretty good recruiting class considering many had already committed(including Heyward)

-In the 2009-2010 class, He got Mr. Indiana and the runner up.(Hulls and Elston)

-This year's class he was behind the 8 ball because the best players had already all but committed(Thomas to tOSU, a couple of guys to Purdue.) and the class wasn't as deep as last year's or next years. I'd rather take better talent from out of state than inferior talent from in-state.

-Next year he has to get someone. Austin Etherington will be fine(from in state) but he has to get either Jeremiah Davis or Cody Zeller, not just from a talent standpoint, but certainly from a perception standpoint.

redsfanmia
07-19-2010, 11:09 AM
He's really only had one class. Sampson hadn't recruited anyone from Indiana for the 2008-2009 class. Crean came and got a pretty good recruiting class considering many had already committed(including Heyward)

-In the 2009-2010 class, He got Mr. Indiana and the runner up.(Hulls and Elston)

-This year's class he was behind the 8 ball because the best players had already all but committed(Thomas to tOSU, a couple of guys to Purdue.) and the class wasn't as deep as last year's or next years. I'd rather take better talent from out of state than inferior talent from in-state.

-Next year he has to get someone. Austin Etherington will be fine(from in state) but he has to get either Jeremiah Davis or Cody Zeller, not just from a talent standpoint, but certainly from a perception standpoint.

If Crean manages to land Zeller I think it opens the flood gates for good Indiana kids to follow to IU.

Hoosier Red
07-19-2010, 04:28 PM
If Crean manages to land Zeller I think it opens the flood gates for good Indiana kids to follow to IU.

I agree. I hate following recruiting. I tend to think the histrionics are unneccesary and obnoxious. But I really feel like Cody Zeller could be a bellweather one way or another for IU.

BRM
07-19-2010, 04:36 PM
I agree. I hate following recruiting. I tend to think the histrionics are unneccesary and obnoxious. But I really feel like Cody Zeller could be a bellweather one way or another for IU.

I agree with you completely.

gilpdawg
07-20-2010, 01:26 AM

I don't think we'll get Zeller, that's the problem. It seems that IU is always guys' second or third choice.

Razor Shines
07-23-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't think we'll get Zeller, that's the problem. It seems that IU is always guys' second or third choice.

My brother played ball with Luke Zeller the other day and he said Luke gave the impression that Cody probably won't be coming to IU.

He said Luke is trying to talk him into going to Butler, but that's also unlikely. He's feeling kinda pulled toward UNC to play with his brother and Cody has said "How can you say no to North Carolina?".

Who knows how much of that is just an older brother projecting what he wants for a younger brother though.

WMR
07-23-2010, 11:17 AM
It's a sad day when a kid raised in the heart of Hoosier country says, 'How can you say no to North Carolina.' :(

Hoosier Red
07-24-2010, 10:15 AM
There have been a lot sadder days in Hoosier Country recently than missing out on a recruit, but at least he's not going to Kentucky.

Scrap Irony
07-24-2010, 10:25 AM
He's not ranked high enough to go to Kentucky.

redsfanmia
07-24-2010, 12:38 PM
There have been a lot sadder days in Hoosier Country recently than missing out on a recruit, but at least he's not going to Kentucky.

He has not committed yet.

redsfanmia
07-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Stay classy Bedford Kentucky.

Razor Shines
07-24-2010, 02:57 PM

Wow. We don't have it rough enough around here? You have to start in with the low blows?

redsfanmia
07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Wow. We don't have it rough enough around here? You have to start in with the low blows?

We just have to bide our time until the NCAA brings the hammer down on the Kentucky program AGAIN.

WMR
07-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Let's not do this again.

Happier days.

YouTube - Keith Smart 1987 "The Shot" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dgkmikdVM8)

Hoosier history is some of the finest in college basketball.

It really does make me sick to my stomach to hear an Indiana kid say that you can't say no to North Carolina. :barf:

Razor Shines
07-25-2010, 10:43 AM
It really does make me sick to my stomach to hear an Indiana kid say that you can't say no to North Carolina. :barf:

Yeah me too. I really thought that Cody Zeller is exactly the type of kid that Crean would bring back to Indiana.

BRM
07-25-2010, 06:27 PM

No kidding.

Revering4Blue
08-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Hoosiers’ New Recruits Hope to Bring the Fans What They Want.

http://alwaysmillertime.com/2010/08/01/hoosiers-new-recruits-hope-to-bring-the-fans-what-they-want/

Indiana Hoosiers: Five Reasons Why Guy-Marc Michel will Help Next Season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/392129-five-reasons-why-guy-marc-michel-will-help-the-hoosiers-next-season

Hoosier Red
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Cody Zeller is down to his final three schools.

IU, Butler, and UNC so no surprises.
http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=9259

Still he confirmed he'll make an official visit.

redsfanmia
08-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Cody Zeller is down to his final three schools.

IU, Butler, and UNC so no surprises.
http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=9259

Still he confirmed he'll make an official visit.

If he doesn't come to IU I hope he atleast stays in-state and goes to Butler.

BRM
08-06-2010, 01:12 PM
If he doesn't come to IU I hope he atleast stays in-state and goes to Butler.

I hope so too but my guess is he'll end up at UNC.

redsfanmia
08-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I hope so too but my guess is he'll end up at UNC.

Just another guy at UNC, at Indiana or Butler he is a program changer.

Hoosier Red
08-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Well it involves an extra year, but IU is getting some good news from Indiana recruits.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2010/08/15/ron-patterson-joins-indianas-2012-recruiting-class/

Broad Ripple's Ron Patterson(Class of '12) has followed the tragically named Peter Jurkin to commit to IU.

IIRC Correctly IU has two spots still for Class of '11. My guess is they're holding out hope for Zeller and the kid from Muncie.

Hoosier Red
09-03-2010, 01:11 AM
And in case you didn't have your Freshman Class of 2014 recruits lined up, IU just got a commitment from James Blackmon Jr. The number 1 SG recruit in the class.(Seriously? I feel dirty even talking about recruiting that far in advance.)

Anyway other good news apparently as Yogi Farrell and reportedly Cody Zeller were also in attendance at IU's football win tonight.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2010/09/03/james-blackmon-jr-gives-indiana-verbal-commitment/

cumberlandreds
09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
And in case you didn't have your Freshman Class of 2014 recruits lined up, IU just got a commitment from James Blackmon Jr. The number 1 SG recruit in the class.(Seriously? I feel dirty even talking about recruiting that far in advance.)

Anyway other good news apparently as Yogi Farrell and reportedly Cody Zeller were also in attendance at IU's football win tonight.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2010/09/03/james-blackmon-jr-gives-indiana-verbal-commitment/ (http://www.insidethehall.com/2010/09/03/james-blackmon-jr-gives-indiana-verbal-commitment/)

I remember his dad at UK. He was a good, quick guard in the mid 80's. Jr. should be a good recruit for IU.

BRM
09-07-2010, 12:29 PM

No kidding. Glad to hear he got a verbal from the kid but it's crazy how early they start the process.

SunDeck
09-07-2010, 02:02 PM
No kidding. Glad to hear he got a verbal from the kid but it's crazy how early they start the process.

Then wait until you hear about this kid:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBHFpB7pZlwJcNFd_zbGEQIUz4v4Tz_ 4UmMZIyT05RX3BFgOg&t=1&usg=__RZK-940Rs7VxREHaHTGENv--gHo=

WMR
09-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Anybody still alive in here?

Who is going to start for the Hoosiers this year?

TeamSelig
09-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Then wait until you hear about this kid:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBHFpB7pZlwJcNFd_zbGEQIUz4v4Tz_ 4UmMZIyT05RX3BFgOg&t=1&usg=__RZK-940Rs7VxREHaHTGENv--gHo=

:lol:

Hoosier Red
09-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Anybody still alive in here?

Who is going to start for the Hoosiers this year?

Sorry, Pete Thamel hasn't been quite as hot on the Hoosiers tale this year as other schools. :)

I'd have to guess the starting lineup will look something like;

PG: Hulls
G: Creek
G: Jones III
F: Watford
F: Elston/Michael/Pritchard/Capobianco

I think there's a lot of versatility which will allow IU to match up big or small depending on the opponent. Watford is a little bit more natural wing player, but there are a lot of wings, and not many centers, so everyone kind of has to move up one position so to speak.

In my opinion the biggest need is a true Center. If Guy Marc Michael fits the bill, it allows Capobianco and Elston to move to PF, and Watford to move to the wing.

BRM
09-16-2010, 02:45 PM

I think there's a lot of versatility which will allow IU to match up big or small depending on the opponent. Watford is a little bit more natural wing player, but there are a lot of wings, and not many centers, so everyone kind of has to move up one position so to speak.

In my opinion the biggest need is a true Center. If Guy Marc Michael fits the bill, it allows Capobianco and Elston to move to PF, and Watford to move to the wing.

I concur with the first four. The last F/C is the real question mark. I read the other day that the players expect Guy Marc Michael to be a starter this year. I think it was some sort of poll Crean did with the team. Also heard that Watford has bulked up some over the summer.

WMR
09-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Sorry, Pete Thamel hasn't been quite as hot on the Hoosiers tale this year as other schools. :)

I'd have to guess the starting lineup will look something like;

LOL as if Hoosiers have ever needed an excuse to obsess about Kentucky. ;)

WMR
09-16-2010, 03:08 PM
I concur with the first four. The last F/C is the real question mark. I read the other day that the players expect Guy Marc Michael to be a starter this year. I think it was some sort of poll Crean did with the team. Also heard that Watford has bulked up some over the summer.

What sort of a record would you expect/demand out of Crean/this year's squad at this point?

Does he NEED to make the NCAAT at this point? Are we still not at that point? One more season before that is DEMANDED by the majority of the fan base? Curious how much rope he's going to get...

BRM
09-16-2010, 03:11 PM
What sort of a record would you expect/demand out of Crean/this year's squad at this point? Are we still not at that point?

Does he NEED to make the NCAAT at this point? One more season before that is DEMANDED by the majority of the fan base? Curious how much rope he's going to get...

I think he needs to make the NIT or the grumbling will get loud. There's some grumbling out there now believe it or not. Some fans don't think he can recruit well enough to get them back to prominence. They are losing confidence.

I know that they should begin Big Ten play with a great record. Have you seen their nonconference schedule? Talk about a cupcake schedule.

WMR
09-16-2010, 03:15 PM
I think he needs to make the NIT or the grumbling will get loud. There's some grumbling out there now believe it or not. Some fans don't think he can recruit well enough to get them back to prominence. They are losing confidence.

I know that they should begin Big Ten play with a great record. Have you seen their nonconference schedule? Talk about a cupcake schedule.

Yea I saw their schedule. I think that's a good move by Crean. Sometimes just getting more Ws on your record can improve morale and help get the program the extra added momentum that it needs.

I'm actually pulling for Crean. I don't think IU will get a better coach unless they pull up the Brinks truck for that kid from Butler. (Which they could very well end up doing I hear? Anyone else? I hear the deep-pocket alums want to do it already...)

BRM
09-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Yea I saw their schedule. I think that's a good move by Crean. Sometimes just getting more Ws on your record can improve morale and help get the program the extra added momentum that it needs.

I'm actually pulling for Crean. I don't think IU will get a better coach unless they pull up the Brinks truck for that kid from Butler. (Which they could very well end up doing I hear? Anyone else? I hear the deep-pocket alums want to do it already...)

Wouldn't surprise me. I've heard some of the same things. Alums are losing their patience with Crean already.

Hoosier Red
09-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Wouldn't surprise me. I've heard some of the same things. Alums are losing their patience with Crean already.

If they did I think it would be a terrible move.

This isn't to say that Brad Stevens isn't a great coach. He is. But were people clamoring for him to be the coach before last year?
In my opinion if you get rid of Crean any sooner than 5 years, it has to be for the absolute deadbolt guarantee right coach. I wouldn't fire Tom Crean to replace him with Thad Matta right now. I'm not sure I'd fire him to get Tom Izzo right now.(Not that either would be interested of course.) That's the degree of importance to getting that hire right.

This isn't to say that Crean's as good of a coach or better than either of those gentleman. But what I'm saying is that if you fire Crean(and pay out all the money owed to him) and bring in someone new whether it's Stevens or Matta or Pete Newell, there's a certain amount of adjustment to be expected, and this roster is not good enough to just reload and head to the NCAA.
So no matter what you're pushing the NCAA back ANOTHER year. And by the time the new coach has gotten everything swinging in the right direction, it will have been 5-6-7 years since the last NCAA tournament. Oh and good luck replacing that coach with someone quality when you'll have run through 4coaches in 10 years, none of whom will have left the university willingly.

No, much like the Reds needed to bide their time and let the farm system cultivate talent, this fan base needs to accept that this year should be a winning record and a semi-respectable turn in the Big 10, next year will certainly be a better time to make a run at the Big 10 as Purdue and tMSU will both lose a bunch of talent, and IU can look at a NCAA appearance by next year.

BRM
09-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I completely agree with everything you just typed. Completely agree.

Revering4Blue
09-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I completely agree with everything you just typed. Completely agree.

+1

Who is to say Crean couldn't have coached Butler to last year's Championship game.

Stevens wouldn't have made a difference to last year's IU squad, sans Creek and Roth.

redsfanmia
09-16-2010, 09:06 PM
+1

Who is to say Crean couldn't have coached Butler to last year's Championship game.

Stevens wouldn't have made a difference to last year's IU squad, sans Creek and Roth.

Where does Crean rank in the Big Ten as far as coaches? I would take Matta, Ryan, Painter, Izzo and probably Weber and maybe Tubby over him.

Hoosier Red
09-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Where does Crean rank in the Big Ten as far as coaches? I would take Matta, Ryan, Painter, Izzo and probably Weber and maybe Tubby over him.

Definately not Weber.
I'd take Izzo, Matta and Ryan over him. I think he's about on par with what Painter would have accomplished given the hurdles to overcome.

rdiersin
09-18-2010, 09:58 AM
I think he's about on par with what Painter would have accomplished given the hurdles to overcome.

I am not sure I would agree with that, and I am trying to be objective when I say this as a Purdue fan. I think the hurdles Painter had to overcome are on par with what Creen has had. Outside of Landry and Teague, Painter had nothing from what Gene Keady left him. Even then, his first year he didn't even have those two. Purdue's basketball program was in really bad shape when Painter came. While he didn't have probation to be concerned with, I think the image of Purdue basketball at that time was just as bad as what Creen has had to face.

Hoosier Red
09-21-2010, 01:04 AM
A couple of huge advantages rdiersen.
1) He had enough players to play a game when he took over. Tom Crean had one scholarship player(Kyle Taber, who had been a walk on until the previous year) and one walk on from the previous year.

2) Painter was appointed the Head Coach in waiting and had been recruiting for at least one year before he took over. Tom Crean was hired in April, with two players in the recruiting class still committed.

So with four players committed to play for the program, Crean got a fair recruiting class for his first year, then grabbed Mr. Basketball and the runner up from the next class.

Painter took over a team that was hurt his first year, but the second year had Carl Landry and David Teague, one of whom is in the NBA, and the other is playing professional basketball.

Now this takes nothing away from Painter. It's not his fault that he inherited a less disasterous team, but I don't think it's overstating to say that Crean had the worst situation to come into of any one not receiving the death penalty.

BRM
09-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Now this takes nothing away from Painter. It's not his fault that he inherited a less disasterous team, but I don't think it's overstating to say that Crean had the worst situation to come into of any one not receiving the death penalty.

Which is exactly why you'd think fans would be more patient with him.

Razor Shines
09-21-2010, 08:09 PM

Wow. I want to sit here and type that I'd take Izzo, Matta...etc over Crean, but if I'm completely honest I'd really only want Izzo over Crean. I think he's going to do big things if given the chance.

redsfanmia
09-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow. I want to sit here and type that I'd take Izzo, Matta...etc over Crean, but if I'm completely honest I'd really only want Izzo over Crean. I think he's going to do big things if given the chance.

I hope, I think they could be a 15-17 win team this season. I think the NIT is within reach this season.

BRM
09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Saw this on ITH. Interesting tidbit from Crean.

Crean said that, according to his players, Verdell Jones is right now perhaps the best player on the team. Pointing out that he himself has not been able to assess the team personally per NCAA rules, Crean has polled his players on any number of topics, and on this one in particular, Jones’ name was the one most continually mentioned.

BRM
09-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Crean received a verbal from 2014 recruit, Trey Lyles.

The 6-foot-9 forward from Indianapolis’ Tech High School, already considered one of the state’s top prospects in the 2014 class, joined friend and AAU teammate James Blackmon Jr. on Sunday when he gave Indiana a verbal commitment. Our fellows at the Hoosier Scoop have the details.

Lyles joins Blackmon, a long-armed guard who plays for his father — former Kentucky standout James Blackmon Sr. — at Bishop Luers in Fort Wayne. Some interesting stuff from Hugh Kellenberger’s post:

“It is what Trey wanted to do,” said Tom Lyles, his father. “He has been talking about it for a while. I had told him, ‘No, you don’t want to do that for a while.’ But he was adamant. Me and him and his mom talked about it and he proved positive that he wanted to play for coach Crean and IU.”

Hoosier Red
09-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Apparantly everyone and their brother are coming to Bloomington this weekend.

The list includes;
Austin Etherington(Class of 2011,already committed)
Gary Harris(2012?)
Jeremy Hollowell(2012)
Hanner Perrea(2012)
Cody Zeller(2011) will be in Bloomington but there is no word on if he'll come to campus for an unofficial visit.
Yogi Farrell(2012)
Sherron Dorsey-Walker(2012)
Darryl Baker(2013)
Devin Davis Jr.(2013)
Basil Smotherman(2013)

Who knew Bill Lynch would be the most important recruiter on Tom Crean's staff? I hope we don't get killed on Saturday or all these guys might commit to Michigan. :)

BRM
09-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Wow, I didn't realize so many recruits were going to be in town this weekend.

Playadlc
10-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Getting super pumped about this IU-Michigan game. I haven't been this excited for an IU football game since the Bucket game in 07.

redsfanmia
10-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Getting super pumped about this IU-Michigan game. I haven't been this excited for an IU football game since the Bucket game in 07.

It is Indiana v Michigan in football right? If the game is close there will be a bad call from the officials that will either cost Indiana the game or the opportunity to win the game, it seems to happen in every IU Michigan game.

Hoosier Red
10-03-2010, 10:48 AM
It is Indiana v Michigan in football right? If the game is close there will be a bad call from the officials that will either cost Indiana the game or the opportunity to win the game, it seems to happen in every IU Michigan game.

No bad call, but when we scored with 1:17 left I thought, Oh no! too soon. And sure enough.

This was Indiana football. We're defined by our close losses.

WMR
10-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Do any of you Hoosier fans have a problem with Crean recruiting so young? I remember lots of Hoosier fans giving Kentucky fans all kinds of grief when BCG got a commitment from Michael Avery.

Also: Will you be 'OKAY' with Crean bringing in one and doners? There could be a couple in 2011/2012 if recruiting goes to plan. Funny how no one seems to mind the one and doners when they're going to YOUR school. :D

UL fans for instance, whine about it all the time in regards to Kentucky but find one that doesn't want Quincy Miller. :D

Hoosier Red
10-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Do any of you Hoosier fans have a problem with Crean recruiting so young? I remember lots of Hoosier fans giving Kentucky fans all kinds of grief when BCG got a commitment from Michael Avery.

Also: Will you be 'OKAY' with Crean bringing in one and doners? There could be a couple in 2011/2012 if recruiting goes to plan. Funny how no one seems to mind the one and doners when they're going to YOUR school. :D

UL fans for instance, whine about it all the time in regards to Kentucky but find one that doesn't want Quincy Miller. :D

As with all things, it depends.
If IU is doing it, it's fine. If Kentucky is doing it, it shows what's wrong with college athletics. :D

As for the one and dones, I don't have a problem with recruiting them, I just don't think it's a particularly effective way to build a program to have so much turnover every year. In general I think this year's Kentucky program was as talented of a foursome as you could find. THat they didn't get to the Final Four shows that it would be difficult to get to the Final Four with a team with less talented 1 and done players.

It still makes sense to get one or two players who can put your team over the top so to speak.

I'm also not crazy about recruiting 8th graders, but BCG shows the main problem. Michael Avery may come to Kentucky but he's not playing for Billy Clyde.

WMR
10-03-2010, 11:31 AM
As with all things, it depends.
If IU is doing it, it's fine. If Kentucky is doing it, it shows what's wrong with college athletics. :D

As for the one and dones, I don't have a problem with recruiting them, I just don't think it's a particularly effective way to build a program to have so much turnover every year. In general I think this year's Kentucky program was as talented of a foursome as you could find. THat they didn't get to the Final Four shows that it would be difficult to get to the Final Four with a team with less talented 1 and done players.

It still makes sense to get one or two players who can put your team over the top so to speak.

I'm also not crazy about recruiting 8th graders, but BCG shows the main problem. Michael Avery may come to Kentucky but he's not playing for Billy Clyde.

I agree with most of what you type. I do have to correct you on one thing, Michael Avery isn't coming to Kentucky. He no longer has an offer.

As to UK last year, did they lose because of one and doners or did they lose because they had a fatal flaw that was finally exposed? (perimeter shooting) .....

It's crazy to think, but if you sub in Brandon Knight for John Wall in that one game, Kentucky probably wins.

redsfanmia
10-03-2010, 11:48 AM
No bad call, but when we scored with 1:17 left I thought, Oh no! too soon. And sure enough.

This was Indiana football. We're defined by our close losses.

I thought the same thing. I think Lynch is on to something and given time could possibly build a Bill Mallory type program.

Razor Shines
10-03-2010, 12:00 PM

Well, I've never complained about any other schools doing it, so no I don't have much of a problem with it. I'd prefer he recruits guys that will stay a few years, but if he can bring in the type of talent that will be first rounders after one year then that's ok too.

I'd really like to see most guys he brings in be guys that aren't going to be ready for the NBA after one year, but mix in a one and doner here and there, like maybe in 3 or 4 years when we've got some decent jrs and srs.

Hoosier Red
10-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Well, I've never complained about any other schools doing it, so no I don't have much of a problem with it. I'd prefer he recruits guys that will stay a few years, but if he can bring in the type of talent that will be first rounders after one year then that's ok too.

I'd really like to see most guys he brings in be guys that aren't going to be ready for the NBA after one year, but mix in a one and doner here and there, like maybe in 3 or 4 years when we've got some decent jrs and srs.

An interesting twist in the recruitment of the top 2012 target. Hanner Perea has essentially said his recruiting was down to IU and Baylor.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/sources-ncaa-investigating-baylor-mens-basketball-101210

Multiple sources confirmed that Baylor assistant coach Mark Morefield sent dozens of texts to Perea’s AAU and high school coaches in July while they were coaching events, which is against NCAA rules.
Morefield, according to sources, had already been suspended by the school and was not allowed to recruit on the road in July for previous texting infractions.
Morefield also sent a text to LaLumiere coach Alan Huss, which was obtained by FOXSports.com, saying that if Perea didn’t go to Baylor, he wouldn’t be back in the United States.
"I guarantee u if he does [commit to another school] he will be in Colombia for the spring and summer and next year. Don’t forget it,” the text said.

WMR
10-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Drew Adams, a Bloomington South grad who is also a prominent coach in the Indiana Elite AAU program, has been named to Tom Crean’s staff. He’ll assume the role of coordinator of basketball systems, which is a new position on staff.

I know how much IU fans like to pride themselves on doing things 'the right way.'

Can't imagine those folks liking this development much at all. :eek:

Hoosier Red
10-14-2010, 01:25 PM
It depends.

Hiring an AAU coach is not in and of itself shady, any more so than hiring a HS coach to serve on the staff. That's sort of how these things work no? HS coach takes job as assistant at college, maybe moves on to be head coach at small college, moves up the ladder as he goes.

Hiring an AAU coach for no purpose other than to bring in one of his recruits is bad business. Not only is it sketchy, but it's a poor long term solution. Unless you want to have a revolving door to hire a new coach from a new program every other year.

It should be pointed out that Indiana Elite is the top program in the state, and doesn't have any scandal attached to it that I know of.

There is obviously gray area here; I'm sure Drew Adams contacts with Perrea, Cody Zeller, Yogi Farrell, and others were good assets to have, but I doubt he's splitting his salary with the recruits if and when they come to IU.

WMR
10-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Just funny to me how IU fans get all up in arms when it's another program (nevermind that few programs have been on probation as recently as Indiana), but for some reason you never hear a peep out of the peanut gallery when it's their program or their coach doing it.

Crean is desperate to get some positive recruiting going... guess he's pulling out all the stops.

Razor Shines
10-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Just funny to me how IU fans get all up in arms when it's another program (nevermind that few programs have been on probation as recently as Indiana), but for some reason you never hear a peep out of the peanut gallery when it's their program or their coach doing it.

On this board? Who?

WMR
10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
On this board? Who?

C'mon you read the same threads I do.

Everything certain programs do is shady but if the beloved Hoosiers do it, it must now be 'the right way.' Because 'the right way' is the only way they do things in Bloomington. ;)

Hoosier Red
10-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Everything certain programs do is shady but if the beloved Hoosiers do it, it must now be 'the right way.' Because 'the right way' is the only way they do things in Bloomington. ;)

Oh Please WMR.
I can't speak for others, but I'd like you to point out any time I've written anything about UK where NCAA investigators were not involved.

Many of the people who most maliciously write about UK are fans of other programs(who does Brutus the Pimp support would you imagine.)

One other reason IU deserves slightly more benefit of the doubt, the Sampson incident was not swept under the rug, rather IU fired him and paid a a handsome amount to do it. They then paid a coach and gave him a veritable lifetime contract to clean out the program which he did to the detriment of initial on-court success.

UK on the other hand brought in a coach who whether it was his fault or not, had his last two programs vacate their most successful seasons after he left but because of players who he recruited.

WMR
10-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Try to turn it back on UK, classic IU approach. :D

Hoosier Red
10-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Try to turn it back on UK, classic IU approach. :D

That's true, I know you brought it up because of all the rumors swirling on the board over West Virginia's recruits. That's probably what you meant by "other programs."
:D

WMR
10-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm actually pulling for this guy to bring you in some recruits because the IU/UK rivalry is a REALLY REALLY great one when BOTH teams are good at the SAME TIME. Haven't had that in several years.

I just wish IU fans would quit acting like they own the moral high ground of the college basketball world. Every program has parts of their history that they're not proud of and would like to forget, IU is no different. And now we see that they're playing by the same rules as everyone else, and doing whatever they can, within the rules, to win. Yes, even the Holy One Tom Crean. :D

Playadlc
10-14-2010, 02:40 PM
I know how much IU fans like to pride themselves on doing things 'the right way.'

You do realize that Drew cannot recruit in anyway whatsoever, right? Only 4 coaches can recruit in college basketball.

WMR
10-14-2010, 02:52 PM
You do realize that Drew cannot recruit in anyway whatsoever, right? Only 4 coaches can recruit in college basketball.

That makes a gray area even grayer IMO.

Guess what everyone will say when/if those IN AAU Elite kids start committing? Not fun, is it.

SMcGavin
10-14-2010, 03:04 PM

Just stumbled upon this thread. What are you quoting? Drew Adams was hired at IU over a year ago. Before that he was a grad assistant at Tennessee for two years. Not just that, but he's from Bloomington. He's a young up and coming coach. There is speculation that he'll be leaving IU soon for a spot on the bench at another program (unless an assistant spot at IU opens up due to one of our assistants taking a head coaching gig).

Did his connections with Indiana Elite help him get his job? Probably. Every program wants well-connected assistants. Was he hired specifically to bring in Hanner Perea? Almost definitely not. Heck, Perea was about to start his sophomore year in high school when Adams joined the IU staff.

You're really reaching here. Understandable I suppose that you'd like to rationalize how Calipari recruits does with "everyone does it".

WMR
10-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Just stumbled upon this thread. What are you quoting? Drew Adams was hired at IU over a year ago. Before that he was a grad assistant at Tennessee for two years. Not just that, but he's from Bloomington. He's a young up and coming coach. There is speculation that he'll be leaving IU soon for a spot on the bench at another program (unless an assistant spot at IU opens up due to one of our assistants taking a head coaching gig).

Did his connections with Indiana Elite help him get his job? Probably. Every program wants well-connected assistants. Was he hired specifically to bring in Hanner Perea? Almost definitely not. Heck, Perea was about to start his sophomore year in high school when Adams joined the IU staff.

You're really reaching here. Understandable I suppose that you'd like to rationalize how Calipari recruits does with "everyone does it".

'Almost definitely not.'

I'll have to remember that one.

This guy should definitely have some 'ins' with Crean's top targets.... that's all coincidence of course. :D

Hoosier Red
10-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Every program has parts of their history that they're not proud of and would like to forget, IU is no different. And now we see that they're playing by the same rules as everyone else, and doing whatever they can, within the rules, to win. Yes, even the Holy One Tom Crean. :D

And some programs aren't content with the parts of their history that they're not proud of, so they have to hire some new ones from Memphis. :D

That makes a gray area even grayer IMO.

Guess what everyone will say when/if those IN AAU Elite kids start committing? Not fun, is it.

Does everyone includes the NCAA investigators, or reporters following leads of alleged impropriety?

If so, I'll be happy to cast aside my high esteem for Crean's ethics. If not, we're talking Apples and Oranges to what "every other program"(oh you're talking about Kentucky again aren't you,) deals with.

I've tried to go back and read where IU fans have said we have a moral high ground, or that we weren't embarrassed by the Kelvin Sanctions debacle.

WMR
10-14-2010, 03:13 PM
I really do hope Crean and this AAU guy can get some players into Bloomington. These last couple posts are just a glimmer. I know you guys still have it in you.

Hoosier Red
10-14-2010, 03:17 PM
'Almost definitely not.'

This guy should definitely have some 'ins' with Crean's top targets.... that's all coincidence of course. :D

WMR, how bout this, we post a variation of Macro's Calipari rule for IU. When an article is published in an actual newspaper or legitimate website(something a little more than KSR please) alleging misconduct on IU's part or when NCAA investigators look into the eligibility of IU's players you can come back and discuss IU's recruiting ethics compared to "Other Universities."

Until then your speculation seems rather silly.

SMcGavin
10-14-2010, 03:18 PM
'Almost definitely not.'

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not. You believe Crean hired Drew Adams away from Tennessee in September 2009 so that he could convince Hanner Perea to come play basketball for IU starting in November 2012?

Hoosier Red
10-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I can't tell if you're being facetious or not. You believe Crean hired Drew Adams away from Tennessee in September 2009 so that he could convince Hanner Perea to come play basketball for IU starting in November 2012?

Of course not. Don't be silly. It was to convince Trey Lyles to come in 2014.

WMR
10-14-2010, 03:21 PM

I don't know why he was initially hired... I know how it LOOKS in regards to his new 'job' (which formerly didn't exist) combined with the plethora of talent under his tutelage, many of whom are Coach Tom Crean targets.

Hmmm...

Some of those players have turned out to be top prospects. Emmanuel Negedu was highly-touted wing who ended up at Tennessee; Peter Jurkin and Hanner Parea are top 25 prospects in the 2012 class and played for Team Indiana.

Get the AAU coach out of Tennessee and I wonder where those highly touted recruits end up next?

Razor Shines
10-14-2010, 03:26 PM

I have never criticized UK and Hoosier Red is about the only Hoosier fan that posts in the UK thread. And it seems to me most of the things he talks about is the media and how things are reported. I've never taken it as him holding up IU as a beacon of purity for UK to strive for.

SMcGavin
10-14-2010, 03:33 PM
I don't know why he was initially hired... I know how it LOOKS in regards to his new 'job' (which formerly didn't exist) combined with the plethora of talent under his tutelage, many of whom are Coach Tom Crean targets.

Indeed, it probably had nothing to do with the fact that Drew Adams grew up a few miles from IU and played high school ball for Bloomington South, or that he played for IU grad Steve Alford in college, or that one of his assistant coaches in college was current IU assistant Tim Buckley.

WMR
10-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Indeed, it probably had nothing to do with the fact that Drew Adams grew up a few miles from IU and played high school ball for Bloomington South, or that he played for IU grad Steve Alford in college, or that one of his assistant coaches in college was current IU assistant Tim Buckley.

Sounds like a good narrative. I would definitely choose that one over the 'suspicious how commitments seem to parallel where the AAU coach happens to be at the time' if I was an Indiana fan.

SMcGavin
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Sounds like a good narrative. I would definitely choose that one over the 'suspicious how commitments seem to parallel where the AAU coach happens to be at the time' if I was an Indiana fan.

Yes the mighty AAU coach, 24 year old Drew Adams, an assistant coach for one of the Indiana Elite squads a couple of summers ago. He is quite the puppet master.

Although I am sure it's fun for you to be on the offensive about potential NCAA improprieties for once, I'm going to call it a day on this topic. Enjoy the upcoming season - I'm sure everything will turn out fine with Kentucky and the NCAA investigators - good thing your coach doesn't have a history of having seasons vacated or anything.

Hoosier Red
10-14-2010, 03:47 PM

If he was the coach at Tennessee for 2 years doesn't that mean he coached AAU in 2007? Was Hanner Perrea even in the country in 2007? Or 2009?

Not sure your story has a lot of suspicious activity WMR.
WMR, maybe you should explore the connections between the A-Hope foundation which brings kids from overseas and helps them obtain basketball scholarships being headquartered in Bloomington? That's certainly helped IU recruit devastating game changers like Tijan Jobe and Bawa Maniru.

redsfanmia
10-14-2010, 08:04 PM
nm

Razor Shines
10-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Hmmm...

With Brian Barone leaving for an assistant-coach spot at Wisconsin-Green Bay earlier this week, Drew Adams, who was IU’s Coordinator of Basketball Systems last season, has been promoted to fill Barone’s void as the Director of Operations/Video Coordinator for the Hoosiers.

I haven't seen anything to tell me that Drew has been at In Elite for the past 3 seasons at least. Where you should be going with this is that Drew's Dad is the head Coach for the top Indiana Elite team.

Hoosier Red
10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Oh I correct myself, Bawa was not an A-Hope student.

The organization is pretty cool though, Mark Adams(Drew's father) is the founder and director and he works to bring students from Africa to the United States where they play their way into College basketball scholarships.

http://www.a-hope.org

The "name recruits" that Indiana is getting an inside track on are Hanner Perrea and Peter Jurkin(already committed.)
---
The big name players who have come through the program previously, include Idong Ibak who went to Michigan State, Emmanuel Negedu who went to Tennessee and Baes Ettiene Hamga who went to UNLV.

Now if Mark Adams created the A-Hope Foundation, attracted multiple players to come to the United States and not play for Indiana before directing two players 9 years after he founded the organization to come to Indiana then that was a pretty brilliant plan which nothing could possibly go wrong.

And I'll say this, if Tom Crean gave Drew Adams a relatively low paying job which he was clearly qualified for specifically to get those two players to commit to IU, that was wrong.

TeamSelig
10-19-2010, 03:07 PM
What are the chances that Chandler ends up at IU?

UK and WVU don't want him anymore. His other choices are IU and Providence.

bshall2105
10-20-2010, 01:56 PM
According to Dan Dakich "Cody Zeller to IU is a done deal"

Playadlc
10-20-2010, 04:16 PM
According to Dan Dakich "Cody Zeller to IU is a done deal"

I heard this. He also mentioned that two more kids will commit soon. I take it he means Yogi and Perea?

Can you guys imagine an 11 class of Etherington/Zeller and a 12 class of Patterson, Yogi, Jurkin and Perea?

Those are Big Ten championship caliber classes.

Hoosier Red
10-20-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure I trust any sources on anything less than I trust recruiting sources. Not doubting Dakich that a source told him that, but no reason to get excited until there's something to get excited about.(Zeller actually stepping onto the court in his candy striped warmups.)

Hoosier Red
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure I trust any sources on anything less than I trust recruiting sources. Not doubting Dakich that a source told him that, but no reason to get excited until there's something to get excited about.(Zeller actually stepping onto the court in his candy striped warmups.)

Hanner Perea committed yesterday. We'll see if Zeller and Ferrell commit soon, if so that pretty much takes care of recruiting for the next 4 years(assuming no one de-commits or re-opens their recruitment or whatever the new term will be.)

Oh and to add to WMR's investigation; Fun Fact: Cody Zeller stayed with walk on Kory Barnett during his official visit. Why? Because Barnett's father is also a coach with Indiana Elite and coached Zeller and Barnett. Apparantly the two families are close. Also Zeller reportedly went to church with Jordan Hulls' family the next day.

More than anything IU really seems to be benefitting from a whole heck of a lot of talent eminating through the state the last five years.

Whereas Mike Davis and Kelvin Sampson missed out on a lot of these guys, Crean has been able to secure committments from the vast majority. Especially the vast majority of guys he went after.

WMR
11-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Hanner Perea committed yesterday. We'll see if Zeller and Ferrell commit soon, if so that pretty much takes care of recruiting for the next 4 years(assuming no one de-commits or re-opens their recruitment or whatever the new term will be.)

Oh and to add to WMR's investigation; Fun Fact: Cody Zeller stayed with walk on Kory Barnett during his official visit. Why? Because Barnett's father is also a coach with Indiana Elite and coached Zeller and Barnett. Apparantly the two families are close. Also Zeller reportedly went to church with Jordan Hulls' family the next day.

More than anything IU really seems to be benefitting from a whole heck of a lot of talent eminating through the state the last five years.

Whereas Mike Davis and Kelvin Sampson missed out on a lot of these guys, Crean has been able to secure committments from the vast majority. Especially the vast majority of guys he went after.

Nah, I'll leave the investigations for you and Thamel, the experts clearly.

I just wanted to make sure we didn't have any IU fans on this board still putting on airs of being morally superior to anyone else in college basketball. I'm glad the AAU guy is paying dividends so quickly.

Is this IU's last year of probation?

Razor Shines
11-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Nah, I'll leave the investigations for you and Thamel, the experts clearly.

I just wanted to make sure we didn't have any IU fans on this board still putting on airs of being morally superior to anyone else in college basketball. I'm glad the AAU guy is paying dividends so quickly.

Is this IU's last year of probation?

:rolleyes:

Boston Red
11-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Have any of the Zellers been any good in college yet? And how many damn Zellers are there?!?

Razor Shines
11-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Have any of the Zellers been any good in college yet? And how many damn Zellers are there?!?

Tyler had a decent season last year. UNC sucked but he was decent as a soph. And Cody is the last one.

Razor Shines
11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Dickie V has IU finishing 8th in the Big Ten. He's probably right. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=5752033

BRM
11-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Dickie V has IU finishing 8th in the Big Ten. He's probably right. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=5752033 (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=5752033)

I can see that. He really likes Duke, that's for sure.

Razor Shines
11-02-2010, 03:32 PM
I can see that. He really likes Duke, that's for sure.

Yeah, it's hard not to though. Singler coming back and Kyrie Irving and Seth Curry are nice pickups. I don't know about them repeating but they'll be good.

Hoosier Red
11-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Free Guy-Marc!

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/insidethehall/~3/U2e_PoWHiyA/

IU apparantly looked pretty good last night. Above all it's important that Creek got on the court. He scored 16 which is fine, but him being on the court is going to do a lot of good for the Hoosiers.

BRM
11-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Zeller is expected to announce "mid-week".

Hoosier Red
11-10-2010, 11:04 AM
WMR will get a kick out of this;

http://crimsoncast.com/2010/11/when-social-media-attacks-austin-rivers-and-the-mystery-tweet/

*Full Disclosure, I've begun writing some for this site but didn't write this article.

WMR
11-10-2010, 02:18 PM
LOL No one does the internet like UK fans. :D

I saw the tweets too. Yeah, someone hacked your account, give me a freaking break.

Lil Punk will fit in great with the rest of the DOOKIES.

Razor Shines
11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
It's official Zeller to IU.

Playadlc
11-11-2010, 01:26 PM
WOOHOOO!!!!!!

I don't see how this isn't a top 5 by 2012-2013.

Hoosier Red
11-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I suppose they can take the "Can't recruit the state well" tag off of Crean.
With a team that was completely blown up and has won 16 games in two years, he's successfully recruited Jordan Hulls, Derek Elston, Cody Zeller, Austin Etherington, Hanner Perea, along with the two Indianapolis freshmen whose name escapes me at the minute.

redsfanmia
11-11-2010, 05:15 PM
I hope Zeller is a 4 year player, that would be a huge boost to the program.

Playadlc
11-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I bet Yogi Ferrell (2012 ***** pg) commits by the weekend. I could even see him committing tonight.

Playadlc
11-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Bilas on IU and Crean.

Sean (NYC)

Jay, Indiana just landed Cody Zeller and with the talent Coach Crean has coming in 2012 and 2014 (two top 5 players already) sure looks like IU will be back to elite levels VERY soon. Thoughts!?

Jay Bilas (1:48 PM)

Tom Crean is the real deal, which I have been telling you since Day 1. He will get things going, and he will make IU great again. I know it. He is one of the very best. I believe in him, and have thought very highly of him since I first watched him work at Michigan State. Big time winner, on and off the floor.

Razor Shines
11-12-2010, 02:41 PM
I look forward to win IU - UK games are battles again.

WMR
11-12-2010, 02:47 PM
I look forward to win IU - UK games are battles again.

They need to move it back to Lville and Indy. Awesome neutral site opponent and atmosphere.

UL trying to keep UK out of Chicken Coop right now but I'm guessing they'll be begging UK to help pay for it before everything is said and done (3-4 years when those economic realities start hitting home and Louisville taxpayers start raising hell).

Hoosier Red
11-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I thought the playing games at home was only supposed to be 4 year thing right? Then did they add 4 more years of actual home and home?

Razor Shines
11-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't really think last night's game told us much about how the season is going to go, but it was fun to watch. They are going to struggle on defense, that's for sure.

Hoosier Red
11-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Last night the defense was very solid. Hard to say how much of that was Wright State(Wrong University) missing its starting PG, but still a nice effort. I like this 3 games in 5 days against teams IU should whoop up on. It gives the team 3 games in rapid fire succession and allows any coaching and improvements to be shown on the court right away.

WMR
11-15-2010, 05:03 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/942%5C1021436.jpg

Sort of sad, honestly. Check the time. :eek:

Hoosier Red
11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Sort of sad, honestly. Check the time. :eek:

Meh. Peegs column lambasted the students, but quite honestly students at IU really don't have anything to get excited about. They understand IU basketball's historical importance as sort of an abstract thing. But when only the senior class remembers what it's like to win an NCAA tournament game, you can't be surprised when there's not a huge student population at the game. (That section is a big student section if memory serves.) At IU, there's a ton of seats reserved for students(more than 9,000) but they're spread out all over the arena.

To be honest, IU fans have at the very least purchased tickets in very strong numbers. Despite the struggles over the past 2 years, IU was 11th in attendance last year(2nd in the big Ten ahead of Michigan State, Illinois, and Purdue.) Whether they show up or not is not something I'm going to get fired up over.

When IU wins, the bandwagon will be full.

Hoosier Red
11-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Saw the game live and in person last night. A couple of things jumped out at me.

-Oladipo and Sheehey are going to be fan favorites. Both are about the same size, both very athletic, and both bring a lot of energy every time they're in. Remind me a lot of Roderick Wilmont, but both appear to have more refined basketball skills than Rod.

-Good to see the defensive energy on a night when the shots weren't falling. While MVSU is not good by any means, this is a game IU would have trailed by 15 points last year and had to make a furious come back to hopefully win. 3rd game in 5 nights inevitably means there will be some tired legs, but the defense was there as evidenced by MVSU scoring 3 points in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

-Hopefully Elston's okay, it was nice that Tom Crean went out to help him off the court when he was limping, but I'm thinking when a 6-8 guy is leaning on a 5-9 guy, there's probably not a lot of help. Then later Elston was sitting on the bench foot completely extended in the middle of the bench with trainers on either side, VJIII came out of the game and couldn't find a place to sit. Just thought it was funny.

Razor Shines
11-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Nice report. Watched it on tv, and I agree I was very impressed with the defense. The last two games the d was much better than the first.

Hulls has also really impressed me with the way he handles the offense. I think overall they may be slightly better than I thought would be going into the season.

Hoosier Red
11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
The good news for the team is that the BTpOstbT is very top heavy.

THE Ohio State University is excellent, as is THE Michigan State University. Purdue, Illinois, and Wisconsin, are all in that next level of teams sure to make the tournament and possibly make some noise.

But after those 5, there's Minnesota? Northwestern? Indiana was picked ahead of Iowa, Michigan and The Pennsylvania State University and I haven't seen anything to make me doubt that IU is better than any of those three.

So essentially if IU can out perform expectations, you're looking at 6th in the Big 10+1(soon to be 2.)