PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier Hoops

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

BRM
11-13-2008, 10:29 AM
A good read from Terry Hutchens.

The Healer: Tom Crean has won over IU's aching fan base by embracing a storied program's past

What Crean gets, numerous former players said, is how important tradition is to a program that has recently suffered through two unpopular coaches, unmotivated players and an NCAA investigation. He gets the impact of having former players on a united front.

He gets Bob Knight, and all he built.

"I don't know if we've tried to do that so much the last six to eight years," Graham said. "I don't think that was even a thought. It was more about 'win, win, win,' and less about the former players.

"And I think more than anything else, he has tried to get the message out there that he's going to bring Indiana basketball back, and he's going to do it the right way. And I've got to tell you, that's a message we've all been waiting to hear."

IU's first-year coach has won over a fan base before winning his first game.

He has done more than that. He has gained the approval of at least one member of the first family.

"I think he was a great hire," former IU player and assistant coach Pat Knight recently told WNDE 1260-AM. "I wish him nothing but the best. He knows that. I've talked to him and I've told him if there's anyone that I can call for him -- like past players who may not be buying into what he's doing -- that I'll vouch for him. I just hope people are patient because he inherited a brutal situation. . . . But since he took it, you couldn't find a better guy. I think he's going to get it done and I hope he gets it done.

"I'll admit when we first got fired (in September 2000), I didn't root for Indiana at all. It took several years. But now that Tom's there, it's kind of nice to be able to root for my alma mater."

Crean has gained approval by touring the state, turning speaking engagements into revival meetings. After he accepted the job, he reached out to former players.

"I told them I wanted them to be part of the program, because this is their program," Crean said.

"There's nothing more important with Indiana basketball than the tradition, and all of the players that have come before that are part of the fabric of that tradition."

The Gospel according to Tom says players will attend class, graduate and represent the university the right way. His perfect graduation record at Marquette pounds that point home.

He doesn't promise instant success but rather pleads for patience.

Expectations are low this season. IU has nine freshmen and only eight scholarship players, only one of whom played last year. Several publications picked them to finish last in the Big Ten.

But hopes are high for the future.

Graham said Crean has delivered a team fans can be proud of and enjoy watching. He said the past two years weren't enjoyable. Talented players, but not a team. A lot of those players didn't care and didn't want to be in Bloomington, Graham said.

They didn't play Indiana basketball.

Joe Hillman was more succinct.

"He came in and he cleaned house," said Hillman, who played on the 1987 championship team. "He got rid of all those punks and bad guys, and just said, 'Hey, this is the way we're going to do it. We're going to take some lumps, but we're going to do it the right way.'

"You can say what you want about Bob Knight, but we didn't have many bad guys. Mike Davis didn't bring in many bad guys. But Kelvin Sampson brought in a whole rack of bad guys. Crean basically said we're going to get rid of these guys and I don't care if we go 0-28, but we're going to do it the right way and get it back to where it was."

Todd Meier, one of three seniors on the 1987 championship team, lives in Wisconsin and became a Crean fan when the coach was at Marquette. Shortly after Crean got the IU job, Meier sent him a congratulatory e-mail. A few days later, Crean called. He thanked Meier and invited him to get back involved.

"It's so nice to go back to Bloomington now and feel like they're glad to see you, and want you to be there," Meier said. "It's been very refreshing and very energizing. It's going to be a rough year at IU this year, but I think they'll win a lot more games than a lot of people seem to think."

Hillman, like many former players, never liked the Sampson hire. Sampson, he said, avoided IU's past.

"Coach Crean has embraced the past and wants to use every bit of our tradition to help turn the program back around," Hillman said.

So much so that Crean hosted a two-day IU basketball reunion in West Baden, Ind., in August. Bloomington businessman Bill Cook paid for the party. More than 180 former players, dating to the 1940s, and managers attended. More than 300 guests attended a dinner and golf outing the next day.

Archie Dees, a two-time IU All-American in 1957 and 1958, said Crean told former players he wanted them involved in the program, in whatever way they could. He wanted them at games and practices. An IU season ticket holder since 1962 and a Bloomington resident, Dees said Crean is the right man at the right time.

"I think he's the communicator of all communicators," Dees said. "I feel sorry for coach Crean that he has inherited the problems he has because none of this is his fault. But if anyone could get this turned back around, there's no doubt in my mind that it's Tom Crean."

IPFW coach Dane Fife, who played for Knight and Davis at IU, said wherever he goes, people are discussing IU basketball.

"There's a real buzz right now about Indiana basketball again, and about coach Crean," Fife said. "And the nice thing is, it's a positive buzz again."

flyer85
11-13-2008, 12:33 PM
a fitting closure to the previous areas would be to name the court after BK. I am not sure he would come back and be a part of a ceremony to do that ... but it is the right thing to do.

BK has his warts, but he was a great coach who made sure his players were students at the university.

BRM
11-13-2008, 12:41 PM
a fitting closure to the previous areas would be to name the court after BK. I am not sure he would come back and be a part of a ceremony to do that ... but it is the right thing to do.

BK has his warts, but he was a great coach who made sure his players were students at the university.

Dickie V has been saying for years that they need to name the court after Knight. I think he would come back for that now that Crean is there. If anything, Pat could talk him into it. ;)

George Anderson
11-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Dickie V has been saying for years that they need to name the court after Knight. I think he would come back for that now that Crean is there. If anything, Pat could talk him into it. ;)

Bob is pretty vindictive and I would be shocked if he ever went back.

BRM
11-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Bob is pretty vindictive and I would be shocked if he ever went back.

New administration, new athletic director and new basketball coach. He's much more likely to come back now than he was a year or two ago, that's for sure.

Hoosier Red
11-13-2008, 01:21 PM
He's been back in Indiana for different appearances. I think so long as Clarence Donninger(AD) or Myles Brand(Pres) or Ron Felling(Rat asst coach) don't show up, everything should be fine.
Maybe not this year, but I'd be surprised if they don't bring him back. I doubt they'd name the court for him.

That's reserved for true legendary coaches like Jerry Yeagley:)

George Anderson
11-13-2008, 01:21 PM
New administration, new athletic director and new basketball coach. He's much more likely to come back now than he was a year or two ago, that's for sure.

For most people I would say that is correct....but Bob is not like most people.

redsfanmia
11-13-2008, 04:35 PM
New administration, new athletic director and new basketball coach.

But the same Bob Knight, he still thinks he did nothing wrong.

BRM
11-13-2008, 04:40 PM
But the same Bob Knight, he still thinks he did nothing wrong.

And that has nothing to do with him being invited back into the fold by Tom Crean. Knight probably holds a grudge against people like Brand and Donninger, not the entire university.

George Anderson
11-13-2008, 05:05 PM
And that has nothing to do with him being invited back into the fold by Tom Crean. Knight probably holds a grudge against people like Brand and Donninger, not the entire university.

You might be right but Knight still in interviews or speeches almost never refers to or makes mention of his past at Indiana even though all the people that were involved in his firing are gone. He is still holding a major grudge with the whole thing.

I would love to see Knight return to be honored but I just don't see him ever going back.

Hoosier Red
11-13-2008, 05:27 PM
You might be right but Knight still in interviews or speeches almost never refers to or makes mention of his past at Indiana even though all the people that were involved in his firing are gone. He is still holding a major grudge with the whole thing.

I would love to see Knight return to be honored but I just don't see him ever going back.

Actually he did an hour long show just down the road in Nashville IN where he talked almost exclusively about Indiana.
He also did an interview with Mickey Maurer in for the local PBS station that was almost exclusively about his time at IU.

George Anderson
11-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Actually he did an hour long show just down the road in Nashville IN where he talked almost exclusively about Indiana.
He also did an interview with Mickey Maurer in for the local PBS station that was almost exclusively about his time at IU.

I heard at both those events he didn't talk about Indiana. Guess I was wrong.

SunDeck
11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Shoot Pat!

Just sayin'

redsfanmia
11-13-2008, 08:07 PM

I would love to have Knight come back and be honored by the University maybe name the court after him or better yet rename Assembly Hall after him but I just dont see him doing it. Bob Knight is a very bitter man and I just cant see him coming back any time soon.

Playadlc
11-14-2008, 12:52 PM

The court is already named after Branch McCracken. Which is why it is baffling to me that Vitale continues to say IU needs to name the court after RMK.

BRM
11-14-2008, 01:07 PM
The court is already named after Branch McCracken. Which is why it is baffling to me that Vitale continues to say IU needs to name the court after RMK.

Actually, I think Vitale has been saying they should rename Assembly Hall after Knight.

SunDeck
11-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Something baffling comes out of Vitale's mouth and you are surprised? The guy's a loony bin.

Here's one thought- IU would really rather tear down Assembly Hall. No sense in naming it after Knight if you're going to knock it down.
But even if that were the case, even though I think a lot of fans would support it, naming the Hall after a guy you fire is pretty hard to explain. I doubt it will happen.

BRM
11-14-2008, 03:08 PM
The Hoosiers will be on the Big Ten Network tomorrow night at 7:00. They play Northwestern State.

cumberlandreds
11-14-2008, 04:18 PM
The Hoosiers will be on the Big Ten Network tomorrow night at 7:00. They play Northwestern State.

Better watch out for Northwestern State. They are a tough bunch. ;)
They actually did beat UK back when Eddie Sutton was their coach.

Hoosier Red
11-14-2008, 04:19 PM
There isn't a single "easy" win on IU's schedule. By virtue of being in Division 1, every team they play will have more scholarship players than IU.

BRM
11-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Crean started 4 freshmen and a JC transfer in the 2 exhibition games. Of course, the entire roster is basically made up of freshmen and JCs. ;)

WMR
11-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Who is the best player on IU this season?

BRM
11-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Who is the best player on IU this season?

It's hard to say really. I would say Tom Pritchard has been the best so far just looking at the box scores.

Hoosier Red
11-14-2008, 05:24 PM
It's hard to say really. I would say Tom Pritchard has been the best so far just looking at the box scores.

Pritchard has surprised with his good play, of course its easier when you're playing guys smaller than you.

The scuttle coming into the season was the best players would be Devan Dumes or Verdell Jones III or Nick Williams.

Dumes is a JC transfer who played his first season at Eastern Michigan, Jones and Williams are freshmen.

BRM
11-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Pritchard has surprised with his good play, of course its easier when you're playing guys smaller than you.

The scuttle coming into the season was the best players would be Devan Dumes or Verdell Jones III or Nick Williams.

Dumes is a JC transfer who played his first season at Eastern Michigan, Jones and Williams are freshmen.

Jones was the one with the most hype coming in IIRC. He'd be my pick to end up as the best player by the end of the season. I've read pretty good things about Dumes as well though.

BRM
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
From Inside The Hall.

Know Thy Opponent: Northwestern State Demons

The Tom Crean era begins Saturday night with a visit in Assembly Hall from the Northwestern State Demons.

Coach Mike McConathy returns five of his top eight scorers from a team that went 15-18 a season ago and reached the championship game of their conference tournament for the fourth straight season.

The outlook this year is much brighter for Northwestern State — they were picked to finish second in the East division of the Southland Conference behind Stephen L. Austin.

Keith Hancock, a 5-10 senior guard, is the leading returning scorer (8.7 ppg). Another guy to keep an eye on is 6-4 junior guard Damon Jones (6.4 ppg).

“We feel very good about our team,” McConathy told reporters at SLC Media Day. “Even though the numbers may not indicate it, we do have a strong core of experienced players back and we will be blending in some new faces. We have guys who all have played in crunch time.”

Make no mistake about it, the Hoosiers will have their hands full in this match up. As will be the case almost universally, Northwestern State is a more experienced club and they’ll be looking to play spoiler while making a statement for their program come Saturday night.

BRM
11-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Crean and his staff managed to land a very good 2009 class. The Hoosiers return to glory is near!

IU has received the letter of intent for 6-10 Bawa Muniru, making its six-man 2009 recruiting class official.

Here’s the release from IU announcing the class:

Bloomington — Indiana University men’s basketball coach Tom Crean has announced that six student-athletes have signed national letters of intent to attend IU and play basketball for the Hoosiers. With just seven months on the recruiting trail, along with NCAA restrictions, the Hoosier staff has hauled in one of the top recruiting classes in the country. The Hoosiers are ranked fifth nationally by Rivals.com and seventh nationally by Scout.com. The Hoosier class is the highest rated among Big Ten schools.

Bobby Capobianco, 6-8, 225, Forward, Loveland, Ohio, Loveland High School
Maurice Creek, 6-5, 195, Guard, Chatham, Va., Hargrave Military Academy
Derek Elston, 6-8, 212, Forward, Tipton, Ind., Tipton High School
Jordan Hulls, 6-0, 170, Guard, Bloomington, Ind., Bloomington South
Bawa Muniru (bah-wah muh-nee-roo), 6-11, 250, Center, Mt. Zion Academy, Durham, N.C.
Christian Watford , 6-7, 215 lbs, Forward, Birmingham, Ala., Shades Valley High School

George Anderson
11-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Crean started 4 freshmen and a JC transfer in the 2 exhibition games. Of course, the entire roster is basically made up of freshmen and JCs. ;)

I turned the game on radio the other night and i had no idea which players were on Indiana and which players were on the other team. I think alot of people will be needing to buy programs this year.

BRM
11-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I turned the game on radio the other night and i had no idea which players were on Indiana and which players were on the other team. I think alot of people will be needing to buy programs this year.

No doubt. It's a whole lot of new faces this year.

redsfanmia
11-14-2008, 09:03 PM
No doubt. It's a whole lot of new faces this year.

Thank God, I think this year's team will be awful but more fun to watch than the last 7+ years.

BRM
11-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Anyone watch the game last night? Any thoughts? I loved the intensity on defense personally. The guard play was better than I expected for an early season game as well.

redsfanmia
11-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Anyone watch the game last night? Any thoughts? I loved the intensity on defense personally. The guard play was better than I expected for an early season game as well.

I watched about a half total and was some what impressed, I really did not know what to expect. Verdel Jones and Dumas seem like nice players and Pritchard will be ok. Its going to be a long season but a fun one even though a losing record is inevitable.

Hoosier Red
11-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Solid debut. They're going to need to rebound a lot better, but that's pretty much the only glaring deficiency. Pritchards' going to have a lot of ugly looking double doubles like last night.

BRM
11-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Rebounding is definitely an issue. I think teams that have a solid post presence are going to give this Hoosier team fits. Pritchard is the only decent big man on the squad but he's just a freshman. There's only so much you can expect from him.

BRM
11-17-2008, 07:18 PM
A pretty good summary from ITH:

The Morning After: Your 2008-09 Indiana Hoosiers, I think

It goes without saying that the beginning of this Indiana basketball season is unlike those that have come before it. It is the second year in the last three that have seen IU with a brand new basketball coach, but even in Kelvin Sampson’s first year at the helm we had some idea of what was going on. We knew about D.J. White and Rod Wilmont (how I miss Rod and his 30-foot three-pointers) and Earl Calloway and the rest. This year? Not so much.

I’ll admit it: After about five minutes last night, I had to admit something to myself. I didn’t know who was who. It’s sad, I know, but I doubt that I’m alone here, and I hope it’s not too bold of me to admit it. It took me a second to figure out that Verdell Jones was No. 12, that that wasn’t Devan Dumes, that Dumes was the off-guard wearing No. 33, and who is that little dude with the Rip Hamilton facemask on? That’s not Finkelmeier, is it? And oh my God is that Tijan Jobe?! It took me a second to figure it all out, and it required me whipping out the laptop and keeping the roster handy. I’m not afraid to admit it.

Because of that, a lot of stuff blurred together, but plenty stuck out, too. Off we go, then:

THINGS TO BE SLIGHTLY, CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC about:

Effort: This is going to be a theme all season, so let’s just get it out of the way early. This team is going to be very likable. They are going to play hard. They are going to have good attitudes. All of that. Even when they’re not playing with a good attitude it will seem that way, because you can’t have worse attitudes than last year’s team, and as long as Matt Roth doesn’t smoke a crack pipe at midcourt and punch a cheerleader in the face, pretty much anything will seem like an improvement. So after every game, the chorus will be the same: These guys sure play hard! Man, they sure seem to care! Bless their little hearts, huh? This is going to get incredibly annoying. But last night? It was true. They did play hard. And they did seem to actually care. Credit where it’s due, both to the team and to Tom Crean for getting them to buy in. The best basketball coaches are salesmen, and Tom Crean could sell me a ticket to Kelvin Sampson: The Broadway Musical. He’s done the same sales job on his team. Effort will not be a problem this year, at least not anytime soon.

Devan Dumes: When I hear Northwestern State, I immediately think “last-second shot over Iowa in the NCAA Tournament,” and then I get a big smile on my face. But after I think of that, I (perhaps wrongly) think of the stereotype of a mid-Major — scrappy, unathletic, hard-nosed, heavily reliant on three pointers. Northwestern State wasn’t really like that at all. They were just sort of bad, especially on defense, where they were genuinely awful in the full court press. So I don’t want to get too excited about Devan Dumes’ night. But it is encouraging, at the very least, to know that the team contains some semblance of offensive talent that can score when allowed to do so. Dumes’ night was like that — impressive, but not overly so. Just solid. But I’ll take solid if it puts the occasional point on the board.

Verdell Jones: I might actually be more excited about Jones than I am about Dumes. For whatever reason, I really like Jones’ game — he’s lanky, deliberate, he sort of glides around. His arms are long enough to make him play bigger than his listed size. Having that kind of athletic ability at the point is a real luxury … even if Verdell has a lot of things to figure out about the position. On a team with minimal size, um, everywhere, Jones is a boost. (He also had kind of a crazy line last night: 18 points, five assists, three blocks, three steals, three turnovers, 10-13 from the free-throw line. That’s like a mini-Josh Smith-on-the-Hawks line. I love it.)

Daniel Moore: It took about five minutes last night before the the friends I watched the game with were already calling him the second coming of Errek Suhr. Fortunately — and no disrespect to Suhr — but I think it’s clear Moore is a much, much better player. I’m sure I missed something, but I don’t know if I saw Moore make a truly bad decision all night. Despite his size deficit, he gets around people in the open floor. He can make open shots, and he’s a great passer. So maybe he’s not a point guard in the Big Ten, but you can do much, much worse coming off the bench than Moore. That’s a great walk-on right there.

Tijan Jobe: Haha. Just kidding. Nothing to be optimistic about here.

THINGS THAT ARE BASICALLY AN UNMITIGATED DISASTER:

The Frontcourt: Speaking of Tijan Jobe, oh boy. The frontcourt. Where to start?

I don’t want to be too harsh, because Kyle Taber seems like a pretty cool dude. Relaxed guy. The kind of kid you’re hoping is your roommate when you move to school — plays video games, probably, not too rowdy, doesn’t do hard drugs in plain sight. (Everyone knows that kid freshman year. He is to be avoided; he won’t last the first semester.) So I think I like Kyle Taber as a person. But as a basketball player, as the captain of this team? Eesh.

Last year, Taber made a living off of one thing: playing opposite D.J. White. White would shoot it, and defenders would crash to him while Taber snuck in, grabbed a rebound, and either tipped it back in or passed to a guard and restarted the offense. He was perfect for that. But when Taber is the supposed to be your “best” big man, well, you’re going to get killed on the interior all season. Just murdered. And it already started last night.

For example: Northwestern State had 27 — 27! — offensive rebounds. Eight Northwestern players had at least two offensive rebounds each. Northwestern State had eight blocks, which doesn’t seem like that many, actually. I would have thought, oh, 30 or so? That’s how it felt, anyway.

As for the non-Taber members of the frontcourt: Tom Pritchard is like Kyle Taber, except left-handed. He might actually be a bit more talented, thank God, but he’s certainly not more athletic, or bigger; he just seems to know how to get the most of his limitations. And Tijan Jobe. Oh, Tijan. Tijan Tijan Tijan. God bless him. He looks incredibly interested in playing hard basketball, in rebounding, that sort of thing. That’s probably the nicest thing that can be said about his basketball ability right now.

THINGS WE KNOW NOTHING about:

Pretty much everything else. But there’s IUPUI Tuesday night, and so goes the season. Another game, another batch of info to learn. And then? The Road to the Final Four. We’re going all the way! 1-0! WOOOO!

This could be a long season.

Hoosier Red
11-18-2008, 09:34 PM
AAAARGH!!!! 1 point game with a minute left. IU was up 11 at half, but IUPUI went on a run to start the second half and its been tight since.

IU has no clue how to play against a zone defense. I'd blame this on youth, but it's been the case as long as I've watched IU basketball.

edit: Woooh, IU wins 60-57. That was a game I was really worried about but it really shouldn't have been that close.

redsfanmia
11-19-2008, 07:35 AM
AAAARGH!!!! 1 point game with a minute left. IU was up 11 at half, but IUPUI went on a run to start the second half and its been tight since.

IU has no clue how to play against a zone defense. I'd blame this on youth, but it's been the case as long as I've watched IU basketball.

edit: Woooh, IU wins 60-57. That was a game I was really worried about but it really shouldn't have been that close.

This season is going to be a struggle so I am going into every game thinking they will/should lose so every win is a plus. They are not good and there are going to be some ugly loses but they hustle after every ball and run up and down the court. The best thing is that I dont feel dirty rooting for them now.

BRM
11-19-2008, 10:00 AM
This season is going to be a struggle so I am going into every game thinking they will/should lose so every win is a plus. They are not good and there are going to be some ugly loses but they hustle after every ball and run up and down the court. The best thing is that I dont feel dirty rooting for them now.

Spot on. Every game will be a battle for them this season. There will be no easy victories and quite a few lopsided defeats. And you're absolutely right in that it feels very good rooting for them again. I was into the whole game last night. On the edge of my seat the last few minutes. I haven't been this pumped up for IU basketball in a long time. This team will be fun to watch.

BRM
11-20-2008, 01:15 PM
I meant to post this yesterday. I love these guys' recaps. From ITH (http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/11/19/the-morning-after-iupui/#more-1440).

The Morning After: IUPUI

It's going to be hard to write these little features of ours for a while. Why? Because we literally don’t know anything about this batch of Hoosiers. We know a few things, sure — that Daniel Moore handles the ball well, that Devan Dumes is lightning-quick — but we don’t really know the sum of their parts yet. Are they destined to be this bad all season? Are they going to start playing screens better? For the love of your diety of choice, will somebody please grab a rebound? I don’t know what to believe, and I’m afraid to blindly guess.

Compounding the problem are the teams IU is playing. Things will become much clearer next Monday in Maui against Notre Dame — I am not looking forward to seeing who is going to guard Luke Harangody — but for now, what are we to make of IUPUI? Are they occasionally tourney-bound IUPUI? Or are they just bad? Should we be even more worried than we already are? I have no answers. Merely questions.

This was the case after the first game, too. Instead let’s just recap what we saw.

DEFENSE. REBOUNDING. OY VEY.

Again, I can’t emphasize this enough, especially to myself, because sometimes I get a little shortsighted: It’s early. Very much so. I remember last year when the team we all thought was going to the Final Four looked like they couldn’t play a lick of defense, and I was sort of freaked out. Then they got it together, and they were fine. (And then, well, you know what happened next.)

But if there are two things that have been utterly consistent — and utterly frightening — from tonight’s game and Saturday’s, it’s that this time does not rebound, and does not really defend. At all.

Part of it they can’t help. Tom Pritchard does his share, and Kyle Taber is never really out of position, but there’s just no size there. Even at the guard position, IU is incredibly small, and so there aren’t really any athletic guards that can crash the boards and help compensate for the overwhelmed front court. IU is going to be overmatched all over the place this year, and those mismatches will likely manifest themselves most blatantly when the ball clangs high off the rim.

That said, there is still room for improvement here. Box-outs can get better. Guards can use long rebounds to get out on the break. With a little tweak here and a little tweak there, things won’t be so cringe-inducing, especially on the defensive end.

Defensively, it’s much the same story. There are times when IU flashes some defensive chops, but most of the time I feel hostage to the other team’s whims. For example: In the first half, IUPUI seemed content to settle on outside shots, and they made almost none of them, including a stretch toward the end of the half when they missed something like 11 straight jumpers. They shot 25.8 percent in the first half, and IU took a lead into the break.

Then, in the second, half, IUPUI realized they could get layups at will, and so they took them. And took them. And took them. And they shot 60 percent in the second half, and they rushed back into the game, and IU had to fight them off at the last second. All because of the Hoosiers’ limitations — their defensive porousness on the perimeter, their inability to challenge shots at the rim. I don’t know whether these things are systemic, or whether they’re correctable. I just know that Luke Harangody and Kyle McAlarney might combine for 80 points on Monday. I fear for this outcome.

THE “CHIN-UP, SPORT!” PORTION OF THE PROCEEDINGS

I don’t want to be too negative, though. So let’s talk about things that weren’t actually all that bad:

Matt Roth can shoot. It’s nice to have a really, really good shooter on your team. No matter what else happens, at least there’s always the faint glimmer of hope that he could get hot and keep you in a game from time to time.

Daniel Moore is like Errek Suhr, but way better. Daniel Moore, what with being diminutive and white and scrappy and so on, is already drawing comparisons to everyone’s favorite scrappy, diminutive white guy of recent vintage, Errek Suhr. Problem is, those comparisons don’t do Moore justice. Suhr was essentially a short guy with a good long range shot and a tough nose on defense. Moore is a legitimate ball handler. He sees the entire court well, can make needle-point passes from the key or on the break, and just generally has more confidence on the ball than Suhr ever did. Suhr was always jittery. He reminded me of a Chihuaha. He would take three high dribbles and then get rid of the ball, quickly, before anyone could get to him. Moore actually seems interested in handling it, and doing some semi-stylish things in the process. I like Daniel Moore. He’s not exactly going to carry IU to a Big Ten title, but for a walk-on, IU could do a whole lot worse.

Plus, his face gear is pretty awesome.

Tijan Jobe. You think I’m being sarcastic, but stay with me for a — haha. Just kidding again. There’s nothing optimistic about Tijan Jobe, except that for three minutes a game, he looks more baffled on a basketball court than anyone I’ve ever seen, and this entertains me.

Tom Pritchard deserves more time. I was a little too harsh on Tom Pritchard in the first TMA. I guess I was just disappointed — I was hoping for some more athleticism, some more strength, that sort of thing. But those aren’t the only qualities that make a good big man, and a guy like Pritchard can get by on being in good position under the block, finishing consistently around the hoop, and being crafty in mismatches. Again, like Moore, he’s a limited sort of guy … but he’s all we’ve got, and it could be a lot worse, I think.

In fact, that’s the motto for the first two games: I have no idea what’s going on, but it could be a lot worse. Don’t believe me? Wait until Monday.

BRM
11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Pretty good interview with Tom Crean at ESPN The Magazine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3710287

BRM
11-24-2008, 10:22 AM
The Hoosiers play Notre Dame today in Maui. Just keep the margin under 20 and I'll be ecstatic.

BRM
11-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Interesting poll over at Inside The Hall.

Which Hoosier has impressed you the most thus far?

Results to date:

Tom Pritchard 49%
Daniel Moore 36%
Devan Dumes 12%
Verdell Jones 2%
Nick Williams 1%

Jack Burton
11-24-2008, 08:12 PM
The Hoosiers play Notre Dame today in Maui. Just keep the margin under 20 and I'll be ecstatic.

Doesn't look like that's gonna happen, down 34 w/ 4 to play.

BRM
11-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Doesn't look like that's gonna happen, down 34 w/ 4 to play.

We're gonna see lots of games like yesterday's this season. The team definitely plays hard all the time though. It's going to be fun watching them develop over the next couple of years.

bucksfan
11-25-2008, 10:40 AM
We're gonna see lots of games like yesterday's this season. The team definitely plays hard all the time though. It's going to be fun watching them develop over the next couple of years.

As a Buckeye basketball fan, and college basketball fan in general, I just wanted to add that I wish more people could just get the joy from watching their team develop and improve over the year instead of expecting 20-point blowouts and 2-loss seasons every year. The attitude you espouse (probably for the sake of you own sanity this year! ;) ) is one that I certainly appreciate in all college basketball fans. Good luck with your team this year. I know I'll be rooting for Indiana (in most games)!

BRM
11-25-2008, 10:43 AM
As a Buckeye basketball fan, and college basketball fan in general, I just wanted to add that I wish more people could just get the joy from watching their team develop and improve over the year instead of expecting 20-point blowouts and 2-loss seasons every year. The attitude you espouse (probably for the sake of you own sanity this year! ;) ) is one that I certainly appreciate in all college basketball fans. Good luck with your team this year. I know I'll be rooting for Indiana (in most games)!

Thanks bucksfan!

All of the Hoosier fans I know feel the same way I do. The excitement level is still high even though we know this team is going to lose lots of games. They will still be fun to watch and everyone is just thrilled with the fact they can be proud to be an IU fan again.

BRM
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Sanctions could be announced today. Per the Indy Star (http://www.indystar.com/article/20081125/SPORTS0601/811250390).

NCAA Sanctions coming today?

Sources close to Indiana University's NCAA basketball recruiting infractions case expect a decision to be announced today.

IU is charged with five major violations during the tenure of former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson. IU is at risk for scholarship cuts and recruiting restrictions beyond those self-imposed, plus possible postseason ineligibility.

BRM
11-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Announcement is at 4:00 today, according to the Herald Times. Rumors out of Indy are another lost scholarship, no postseason ban. We'll see soon enough.

BRM
11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
And here we go, courtesy of Terry Hutchens:

Indiana University will receive three years probation from the NCAA for recruiting violations under former men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson but will not be further penalized, sources close to the investigation told The Indianapolis Star today.

The infractions committee accepted IU’s self-administered sanctions, including a reduction of scholarships and recruiting limitations, as sufficient. The school was found guilty of “failure to monitor” the program, said a source who has read the NCAA’s report, but the committee used softer language than in the original accusation.

Sampson, now an assistant with the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks, was given a five-year “show cause” penalty, which essentially prevents NCAA schools from hiring him. Rob Senderoff, a former IU assistant and now an assistant at Kent State, was given a three-year show case penalty. It’s not yet clear how he will be affected.

The official announcement will come in a teleconference with reporters at 4 p.m. today.

Probation is defined by the NCAA rulebook as “designed on a case-by-case basis to focus on the institution’s administrative weaknesses.” It is supposed to include written reports from the school to the infractions committee and in-person reviews of the school’s compliance policies by an NCAA administrator.

However, in a year-long study released last month by the infractions committee on possible changes in enforcement policy, committee members said that in actual practice, written reports and in-person checks “have never been imposed as mandatory in all cases.”

If a school fails to satisfy the terms of probation, the infractions committee may extend the probation and impose new sanctions.

Hoosier Red
11-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Works for me. I don't think Crean will have any problem staying well within the rule book so the probation is no big deal.

BRM
11-25-2008, 04:54 PM
IU got smoked by St Josephs today, 80-54. The Hoosiers had 23 turnovers in this one. Malik Story led them in scoring with a whopping 9 points.

WMR
11-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Kelvin Sampson FIVE YEAR show cause penalty.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

For once the NCAA does something right. Keep that scumbag away from the college game. Let him stay in the NBA if he wants to coach.

redsfanmia
11-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Kelvin Sampson FIVE YEAR show cause penalty.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

For once the NCAA does something right. Keep that scumbag away from the college game. Let him stay in the NBA if he wants to coach.

He basically got $750,000 to just go away after ruining a program and then is making a couple hundred grand to coach in the NBA. I think he will be ok.

WMR
11-26-2008, 08:08 AM
He basically got $750,000 to just go away after ruining a program and then is making a couple hundred grand to coach in the NBA. I think he will be ok.

That's not the point. He was already an extremely wealthy man.

Keeping him out of the college game for a half-decade is the victory here.

Chip R
11-26-2008, 11:09 AM

He won't coach in college again unles it's Division 3 or NAIA. He's a regular Typhoid Kelvin. As for IU, I think the punishment fit the crime. That's about what they should get for being stupid enough to hire him in the first place.

BRM
11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
I share your sentiment WMR. Keep him out of the college game. I still can't believe IU was that stupid. Oh well, at least they got it right this time.

CREAN AND CRIMSON!!!

:beerme:

George Anderson
11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
I still can't believe IU was that stupid. Oh well, at least they got it right this time.

Hey its not like IU was stupid enough to hire a guy like Bill Lynch for their football program.

Oh ...wait a minute..

SunDeck
11-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey its not like IU was stupid enough to hire a guy like Bill Lynch for their football program.

Oh ...wait a minute..

I give them a pass on that. They did it because they thought Hep would have wanted it. Losing him left an enormous hole in the program and I think they did what they felt was the honorable thing to do. Having your tremendously popular head coach die will do things like that.
Does Lynch suck as a head coach? Of course. And he'll be gone soon.
Look for the new AD to try to land someone of Crean's abilities.
I have even heard Kelly mentioned at Nick's, which as a UC fan leaves me cringing.

WMR
11-26-2008, 01:00 PM
He won't coach in college again unles it's Division 3 or NAIA. He's a regular Typhoid Kelvin. As for IU, I think the punishment fit the crime. That's about what they should get for being stupid enough to hire him in the first place.

You know Chip, I wish I shared your optimism in regards to ALL D-1 schools staying away from Kelvin...

It's amazing how many 2nd, 3rd, 4th... 10th chances winning will get you.

I don't think he'd get a sniff of one of the "premier" coaching jobs, but I could honestly see some lower-tiered D-1 AD hiring him after a year or so.

Chip R
11-26-2008, 02:08 PM
You know Chip, I wish I shared your optimism in regards to ALL D-1 schools staying away from Kelvin...

It's amazing how many 2nd, 3rd, 4th... 10th chances winning will get you.

I don't think he'd get a sniff of one of the "premier" coaching jobs, but I could honestly see some lower-tiered D-1 AD hiring him after a year or so.

I doubt it. He's a two time loser and even though this show cause restriction is only for 5 years, I would think that any D-1 school that even thinks of hiring him after those 5 years is going to raise the NCAA's radar and if they actually hire him, that school is going to have the NCAA looking at them with a microscope. That program will have to be so clean they are going to have to squeak. You think any school is going to want that scrutiny? Sampson will be better off in the pros where he doesn't have to worry about that stuff.

redsfanmia
11-26-2008, 07:44 PM

Oh ...wait a minute..

Lynch is a nice man who is not going to cheat. I dont think IU could hire someone to turn the program around its just a black hole of football.

redsfanmia
11-26-2008, 07:46 PM

He is a wealthy man and does not need to coach the college game anyway so how is that a victory? He is a great coach and will probably be a head coach in the NBA sooner rather than later. IU was stupid to hire him and even though I am an IU fan they got what they deserved.

redsfanmia
11-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I give them a pass on that. They did it because they thought Hep would have wanted it. Losing him left an enormous hole in the program and I think they did what they felt was the honorable thing to do. Having your tremendously popular head coach die will do things like that.
Does Lynch suck as a head coach? Of course. And he'll be gone soon.
Look for the new AD to try to land someone of Crean's abilities.
I have even heard Kelly mentioned at Nick's, which as a UC fan leaves me cringing.

Hep was the man for the job he would have had IU football back to the level of when Coach Mallory had them in lower teir bowl games year after year. I still remember 1986 when IU beat both Michagan and tOSU.

WMR
11-26-2008, 09:23 PM
He is a wealthy man and does not need to coach the college game anyway so how is that a victory? He is a great coach and will probably be a head coach in the NBA sooner rather than later. IU was stupid to hire him and even though I am an IU fan they got what they deserved.

The victory is keeping him out of the college game. That is the victory.

George Anderson
11-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Lynch is a nice man who is not going to cheat. I dont think IU could hire someone to turn the program around its just a black hole of football.

They had one but he passed on to the great beyond.

fearofpopvol1
11-27-2008, 01:48 AM
It's painful to watch your alma mader look like a JV squad out there, but they've done the right thing. It's really impossible to not be excited about the future.

I'll be happy if they win 10 games...and hopefully a miracle win over Purdue as well.

SunDeck
11-27-2008, 08:43 AM
It's painful to watch your alma mader look like a JV squad out there, but they've done the right thing. It's really impossible to not be excited about the future.

I'll be happy if they win 10 games...and hopefully a miracle win over Purdue as well.

It's really interesting to hear people in Bloomington talk about this team. They have come to accept the right off that this year will be in exchange for the hope that Crean will build a team they can be proud of.

BRM
11-27-2008, 02:16 PM
It's really interesting to hear people in Bloomington talk about this team. They have come to accept the right off that this year will be in exchange for the hope that Crean will build a team they can be proud of.

He's already built a team I can be proud of. My hope is he continues to build the right way and we end up rooting for a contender in a few years.

SunDeck
11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
He's already built a team I can be proud of. My hope is he continues to build the right way and we end up rooting for a contender in a few years.

It would be quite a story if Cronin and Crean both succeed in creating strong programs built around young men who the schools could actually be proud of.

What a concept.

BRM
12-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Verdell Jones is questionable for tonight's game with Wake Forest, according to Crean. He went back to class yesterday and attended practice though so the injury isn't serious. That's good news.

George Anderson
12-03-2008, 10:30 AM
While the highlights for IU fans have been minimal so far, it was a beautiful thing last night to see the Boilers get spanked by Duke. The next best thing to a IU victory is a PU loss.

BRM
12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
While the highlights for IU fans have been minimal so far it was a beautiful thing last night to see the Boilers get spanked by Duke. The next best thing to a IU victory is a PU loss.

And/or a UK loss. ;)

WMR
12-03-2008, 11:03 AM
And/or a UK loss. ;)

clip of BRM playing ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0lbdPKl8hg

WMR
12-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Verdell Jones is questionable for tonight's game with Wake Forest, according to Crean. He went back to class yesterday and attended practice though so the injury isn't serious. That's good news.

I saw the pick that laid him out... dude never saw it coming.

Razor Shines
12-03-2008, 08:47 PM
While the highlights for IU fans have been minimal so far, it was a beautiful thing last night to see the Boilers get spanked by Duke. The next best thing to a IU victory is a PU loss.

That was fun to watch. Duke looks pretty good this year.

I agree with BRM. I am watching the IU - Wake game right now. This is the first of I've seen of them due to the fact that I just moved to Texas, and I can say that they are a fun team to watch and I have the utmost confidence that Crean will build a strong program that we can be proud of.

I think Matt Roth is my new favorite player for IU.

Cyclone792
12-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I agree with BRM. I am watching the IU - Wake game right now. This is the first of I've seen of them due to the fact that I just moved to Texas, and I can say that they are a fun team to watch and I have the utmost confidence that Crean will build a strong program that we can be proud of.

As a UC fan who is fairly familiar with Crean from his days in Marquette, I have to believe that he'll do a very nice job and most Indiana fans should be happy with him.

The key right now will simply be patience; I see Indiana this year being in a similar spot as UC was two years ago. This year will be very rough, next year likely rough too, but by 2010 you should start seeing some exciting development unfolding on a nightly basis (if not earlier than that).

15fan
12-05-2008, 12:24 AM
How in the world did IU get matched up against Wake in this year's Challenge?

There were actually a lot of good games this year, but IU-Wake wasn't much for either team.

BRM
12-05-2008, 10:58 AM

I think Matt Roth is my new favorite player for IU.

Good to hear from you Razor!

Roth certainly isn't afraid to launch from deep, that's for sure. He's hitting 43% too. I'd like to see Dumes start hitting a better percentage from downtown if he's going to shoot so much. 24% just ain't cutting it.

BRM
12-05-2008, 10:59 AM
How in the world did IU get matched up against Wake in this year's Challenge?

There were actually a lot of good games this year, but IU-Wake wasn't much for either team.

Neither was the UNC/Michigan State game. I think they base the matchups on the previous year, don't they?

BRM
12-05-2008, 01:30 PM
IU has Gonzaga tomorrow. That one will surely be very ugly but I'll be watching anyway.

redsfanmia
12-05-2008, 06:55 PM
IU has Gonzaga tomorrow. That one will surely be very ugly but I'll be watching anyway.

The most interesting thing about this game is that its the first basketball game in the new Lucas Oil stadium. It will be interesting to see how it is configured for basketball and to see how good the view is.

Boston Red
12-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Gonzaga is not shooting well yet, so IU is hanging around. Gonzaga's good shooters are getting wide open looks, though, so you have to think it's only a matter of time...

Hoosier Red
12-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Gonzaga is not shooting well yet, so IU is hanging around. Gonzaga's good shooters are getting wide open looks, though, so you have to think it's only a matter of time...

Indiana's really going to have trouble scoring, but hopefully they can ugly up a couple of games and come away with some wins.

One thing IU doesn't have that most out manned teams have is the other squad getting tight.

BRM
12-08-2008, 03:59 PM
It was nice to see them hang in there with Gonzaga on Saturday. Good defensive effort.

BRM
12-10-2008, 10:51 AM
TCU tonight on ESPN2. I've got youth basketball practice tonight so I'll have to DVR it and watch later.

Razor Shines
12-10-2008, 12:08 PM
How did you get into a youth basketball league? I'd love to play in a youth bball league, I would dominate those kids.

BRM
12-10-2008, 12:11 PM
How did you get into a youth basketball league? I'd love to play in a youth bball league, I would dominate those kids.

:laugh:

Coaching, dude. Coaching.

Hoosier Red
12-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Nice win last night against if nothing else a top 100 team. This may be the best win we see from IU for a while.

BRM
12-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Easily the best the Hoosiers have looked so far. Big game coming up Saturday...I'm not expecting much though.

WMR
12-13-2008, 02:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RxFpVihLqA

Hoosier Red
12-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Damn, Galloway's fast.

That's enough rope a dope guys, we've got them over confident, now we can start playing.:)

Razor Shines
12-14-2008, 04:57 PM

Why? There wasn't any reason for that.

WMR
12-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Bring Back MIKE! :beerme:

BRM
12-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Lucky for me, I can't view youtube content at work. Judging by Razor's reaction, I probably wouldn't like what WMR posted.

Razor Shines
12-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Lucky for me, I can't view youtube content at work. Judging by Razor's reaction, I probably wouldn't like what WMR posted.

I don't want to tell you. I don't want to ruin your day. So I'll carry the burden for both of us. I did leave a nice picture on the Wildcat fan club board.

BRM
12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
From ITH (http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/12/15/so-about-demarcus-cousins-jeff-withey-and-the-scholarship-situation/#more-1707).

Believe it or not, from time to time, some of you email and ask us to address something in this very space. And that’s exactly what I’m going to do with an email I got early this evening from John, who asked about the possibility of Jeff Withey or DeMarcus Cousins (pictured) coming to IU and the scholarship situation beyond this year.

Let’s start with Withey and Cousins. Withey, a 7-0 freshman at Arizona, announced his intentions to transfer shortly after Lute Olsen’s resignation. Arizona initially refused the request, but granted permission last Tuesday. Shortly after being given his release, the San Diego native named a list of eight schools he would consider and IU was among the possibilities.

Cousins is the No. 2 player in the 2009 class and originally committed to UAB. (Cousins transferred this season to LeFlore, the same school that produced current Indiana guard Nick Williams.) After UAB refused to guarantee him a release if Mike Davis is removed as coach, Cousins decided to open his recruitment back up. According to a recent statement by LeFlore coach Otis Hughley, IU is one of many schools to inquire about Cousins.

Obviously, Tom Crean would be doing himself an injustice if he didn’t pursue a player like Withey or Cousins. It’s impossible to predict the decision of an 18 or 19 year-old kid, but it would seem unlikely that either kid will come to IU and it’s not because Indiana is over-signed by one already for the 2009 class. If a high caliber player wants to come to your program, you figure out a way to get it done. In Withey’s case, there are seven other schools he’ll consider and to my knowledge, he’s never been on campus in Bloomington.

In the case of Cousins, two things stand out. There is still a possibility he’ll end up at UAB if Mike Davis remains the coach beyond this season. If Cousins opts to go somewhere besides Birmingham, the school to beat is Memphis and John Calipari with no shortage of schools jockeying for position right behind the Tigers. If you haven’t noticed, beating out Memphis for a recruit is no small feat.

Onto the scholarship situation … This seems to be a hot topic. Yes, Indiana has already exceeded its allotted scholarship limit for next season. This leads to the following question being asked frequently (in several different wording variations) on just about every IU related Web site: With IU already at 14 scholarship players for next season, does that mean someone will have to leave and who is leaving?

The answers: Yes, someone will likely leave the program and nobody knows who. Anyone who says they know who is leaving at this point is speculating. And while the season is playing out, it’s not fair to throw out names of guys that might look elsewhere. But if you look at the incoming class and the depth at a couple of positions, it’s fairly easy to see who could be on the short end of the stick when it comes to PT.

BRM
01-26-2009, 07:31 PM
The Indiana Hoosiers - terrific defensive rebounders. Oh yes, I really said that. It's not all it's cracked up to be but the Hoosier faithful has to take whatever positive nuggets they can get at this points.

From ITH.

In a season as desolate as this, you’re bound to have some sever statistical, and Saturday Basketball Prospectus’ John Gasaway gave us a doozie (http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=127). Of course, you would think the stat would be a negative outlier — proof of the Hoosiers’ historic failures this season. Not so much:

No major-conference team in the nation has dominated its opponents on the defensive glass during conference play the way Indiana has. Yes, Indiana, the same team that is 0-5 in the Big Ten, losing each game by an average of 15 points. While you’ve been looking away in Edvard Munch-level horror, the Hoosiers have in fact secured an unheard of 79 percent of their opponents’ misses in league games. Not even Michigan State in 2000 was able to match that figure.
Gasaway jokes that rebounding makes you lose, but the real upshot is this: The Hoosiers are so bad, they allow very few offensive rebounds and still lose by an average of fifteen points a game. Why? Because teams are so effective at making the first shot against them, the defensive rebound isn’t really an advantage. That’s why. Like I said: mind-blowing.

The upshot is that it also portends future success. If the Hoosiers (and by the Hoosiers, I mean Tom Pritchard) are rebounding at such a high rate when they’re this bad, it’s likely they’ll keep it up when they figure out how to challenge perimeter shots and play better defense. In other words, it’s a building block. I’ll take it.

TeamSelig
01-26-2009, 09:35 PM

lmao

Playadlc
01-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Indiana beats Ohio State today.

BRM
02-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Indiana beats Ohio State today.

Matt Roth did everything he possibly could. What a shooting display he put on tonight. The Hoosiers will win a Big Ten game eventually. They look a little better each time out.

DTCromer
02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090204/SPORTS0601/902040341/1004/SPORTS

Fan support increases as Hoosiers try to stop skid

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- It has been 56 days, 11 games and 445 minutes on the floor since Indiana University won a men's basketball game.

Still, support grows.

Each of the past three home games has produced the largest crowd of the season. Saturday, 17,202 fans attended the Ohio State game, just 155 shy of capacity.

Coach Tom Crean is relying on that support tonight against Iowa (12-10, 2-7 Big Ten), as the Hoosiers (5-15, 0-8) try to avoid setting the longest losing streak in school history.

"There can't be fan support that would be duplicated like this in a situation like ours," Crean said after Saturday's loss to the Buckeyes. "I can't imagine that anywhere in America. I hope that all of our fans understand that when we lose and we don't get it done, we are as disappointed for them as we are for us."

While IU fans have endured plenty this season, especially during the current 11-game skid, history has shown fans of other prominent programs have stood by their teams through tough times.

When Kentucky slumped to 13-19 season in 1988-89, the Wildcats still averaged nearly 22,000 fans. When Duke went 13-18, including 2-14 in conference play, in the 1994-95 season, the Blue Devils still sold out Cameron Indoor Stadium with 9,314 fans per game. UCLA saw a drop of about 1,700 fans per game when it finished 10-19 in 2002-03.

North Carolina suffered at the gate when it finished 8-20 in 2001-02. The Tar Heels averaged 17,392 fans that season, almost 3,500 fewer fans than the year before. This season, IU's 10-game home average is 13,901, almost 3,000 fewer than last year.

The average the past three games, however, has been 16,456.

Former IU basketball player Adam Ahlfeld, who completed his eligibility last season, said he has been impressed with the recent support.

"I think the $5 balcony seats have helped, but I think even more than that we've just been playing a lot better lately," Ahlfeld said.

IU athletic director Fred Glass said Crean's attitude and the team's effort makes it easier to support.

"When you play as hard as they play, and coach as hard as Tom (Crean) and his staff coach, I think people will respond in a positive fashion,'' Glass said. "We're very pleased with the way our fans are supporting our team right now."

Hoosier Red
02-05-2009, 12:24 PM
INDIANA WINS! INDIANA WINS!

So nice to have that win and not go into next season 0 for '09.

BRM
02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
:party:

:beerme:

Hoosier Red
02-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Anyone think enough is enough for Dumes' suspension now. He's been suspended two games (and kicked out of the initial game) for a cheap shot that did nothing more than knock the opponent to the bench for a relatively short period of time.

Not advocating what he did, but I think a two game suspension is more than enough.

George Anderson
02-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Anyone think enough is enough for Dumes' suspension now. He's been suspended two games (and kicked out of the initial game) for a cheap shot that did nothing more than knock the opponent to the bench for a relatively short period of time.

Not advocating what he did, but I think a two game suspension is more than enough.

I think alot of it should be based on what went on behind the scenes. If he took his punishment like a man then I would end it soon. If he acted in a punk like manner then I would drag it out.

BRM
03-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Just read this on ITH. I agree with him completely. This was the first time in quite awhile where I was actually emotionally into the game. For some reason, I felt like the Hoosiers really had a shot to win this game.

I have put little emotional investment into this Big Ten season. As the losses piled up, it was hard to. With so many turnovers and so much frustration, there came a point where you had to cut your losses and just ride this season out. Even when IU was able to get a win against Iowa, I wasn’t really that charged about it.

It’s not that I didn’t still watch, or didn’t still hope IU would win, it’s just that I didn’t find myself cursing out the TV every game, didn’t find myself hooting and hollering like I’d done so many times before.

Tonight was different. Tonight I cursed. Tonight I slapped my hands together and clapped. Tonight my heart skipped a few beats. This is what it’s supposed to be like; I had almost forgotten.

After Tom Izzo picked up that technical foul and MSU went on that ridiculous scoring drought, I believed. Believed IU had a legitimate shot at winning this game. We’ve been close countless times this season and I’ve thought the opposite. IU is bound to lose, IU will blow this, the Hoosiers are doing the same thing they always do: play hard and then watch it come crumbling down late in the game.

I’m not sure why I thought different tonight. Perhaps it was the dulcet tones of Steve Lavin and Brent Musburger. Perhaps it’s because I’m mentally to next season already, and an effort like this made me think the Hoosiers were already there.

Whatever it was, I was hooked, enraptured for the last ten minutes of this ballgame. It felt good, felt right. But as soon as Raymar Morgan did this with 27 seconds to go, that was just about it:

http://www.insidethehall.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/photo2.jpg

Sure, IU still had a legit shot to win, as the Hoosiers were only down four points. It was far from insurmountable. But this year’s feelings starting to creep in again. If they’d only shot better than 64 percent from the free-throw line, they’d be right in this still, or winning. If they only didn’t turn the ball over 22 times, they might be winning. If they only didn’t blow all those chances when MSU was missing shots and turning the ball over the last few minutes, they would certainly be winning this game.

But, as always with the 2008-09 incarnation of the Indiana Hoosiers, all the hustle, scrap and effort in the world can’t win you a basketball game if other components aren’t working in conjunction with all that.

But that will come next year. And I’ll be cursing at my TV right along with it. I can’t wait.

Playadlc
03-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I loved the game last night. When Williams hit that three to cut the lead to two I was going nuts.

Next year is going to be very interesting. The fact that Crean brought in a Top 7 class given the circumstances is downright amazing. Lots of guys will be battling for spots next year. No one is safe. I can't wait.

Hoosier Red
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I loved the game last night. When Williams hit that three to cut the lead to two I was going nuts.

Next year is going to be very interesting. The fact that Crean brought in a Top 7 class given the circumstances is downright amazing. Lots of guys will be battling for spots next year. No one is safe. I can't wait.

It's funny, two months ago, I would have said Pritchard was the only guy from this team that would start next year.

Now, I'm hoping they've found two guys better than him for the frontcourt. It's not a knock on him, but if Capobianco and Elston can beat him out next year, it would be a pretty solid front court.

BRM
03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
It's funny, two months ago, I would have said Pritchard was the only guy from this team that would start next year.

Now, I'm hoping they've found two guys better than him for the frontcourt. It's not a knock on him, but if Capobianco and Elston can beat him out next year, it would be a pretty solid front court.

The interesting battle will be at PG. Jones, Hulls and Rivers all fighting for time.

Playadlc
03-04-2009, 06:21 PM

Muniru could be in the mix as well. I saw some video's of him over at Peegs and this guy is a beast. 7'0" tall and 240 pounds and can get up and down the court.

I am curious to see if Crean will go with an 8 or 10 man rotation next season. I have no idea how Indiana plans to spread out the minutes next year. I am willing to bet Crean doesn't know right now, either.

BRM
03-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Muniru could be in the mix as well. I saw some video's of him over at Peegs and this guy is a beast. 7'0" tall and 240 pounds and can get up and down the court.

From what I've read, he'll be a bit of a work in progress. Lots of upside but needs some work.

Hoosier Red
03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
From what I've read, he'll be a bit of a work in progress. Lots of upside but needs some work.

Nobody has any stats on him because his prep school doesn't distribute them, but I think people think he's a project because he has an African name so they assume he's the next Tijan Jobe.

BRM
03-06-2009, 10:20 AM
I know I read something a couple of weeks about him. Someone saw him play apparently but now I can't find it. All I can scrounge up is this piece from Inside The Hall from a few weeks ago.

What is the deal with Bawa? I have not seen any video or stats.
The deal with Bawa is that he’s a 7-footer with tremendous upside, but at this point, he’s extremely limited offensively. He’s not Tijan Jobe limited, but he’s got some work to do and with the help of Roshown McLeod, I’d expect him to improve immensely in that aspect of his game. As far as video goes, this clip (http://videos.al.com/al/2008/02/7foot_bawa_muniru_dunks.html), which basically shows him throwing down a couple of thunderous dunks is all I’ve been able to scrounge up. The reason his stats haven’t been reported is that very few, if any, newspapers cover Mt. Zion Academy’s basketball team and the school’s Web site doesn’t report stats.

Are we excited about this guy?
There’s a lot to like about Bawa other than the fact that he’s fluent in six languages. Right off the top, he’s seven feet tall or pretty darn close to it. IU desperately needs interior size and rebounding. As we’ve seen, Tom Pritchard can’t go it alone, especially in the Big Ten. Muniru has made strides on the defensive end and is more than capable of blocking shots and contributing on the glass. I don’t necessarily see him morphing into Hasheem Thabeet down the road, but with the right work ethic and a willingness to be coached up, he should be a solid addition to the IU program. And speaking of work ethic and attitude, all reports are that he’s a great kid, so there shouldn’t be any problems.

Hoosier Red
03-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I know I read something a couple of weeks about him. Someone saw him play apparently but now I can't find it. All I can scrounge up is this piece from Inside The Hall from a few weeks ago.

To paraphrase from the Sports Guy's dad; "Well as long as the opposition puts two folding chairs in for defense, we're golden."

Seriously, I've had trouble finding much in the way of stats on the guy, but I've read the limited offensively piece. But no one really knows where he's at either offensively or defensively.

BRM
03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Seriously, I've had trouble finding much in the way of stats on the guy, but I've read the limited offensively piece. But no one really knows where he's at either offensively or defensively.

I agree. We'll just have to wait and see obviously. Either way, I'm very excited about the future in Bloomington.

Hoosier Red
03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
What has been most encouraging is the improvement you've seen in just about every player on the team.(Maybe with the exception of Pritchard.)

Going into Big 11 season, I had my guys that will probably transfer list starting at VJ III and Nick Williams. Now they may still transfer, but they've at least shown they can be contributors if they stay.

Next year there's going to be a 10 strong rotation that can match up talent wise with most anyone in the country.

PG: Rivers/Hulls
SG: Dumes/Creek/Story
SF: Watford/Williams
PF: Capobianco/Elston
C: Pritchard/Maniru

Gone/out of rotation: VJ III, Moore, Jobe(not that he was in it this year) Taber, Roth(who if he stays will be the 3 pt specialist)

Playadlc
03-06-2009, 02:41 PM
What has been most encouraging is the improvement you've seen in just about every player on the team.(Maybe with the exception of Pritchard.)

Going into Big 11 season, I had my guys that will probably transfer list starting at VJ III and Nick Williams. Now they may still transfer, but they've at least shown they can be contributors if they stay.

Next year there's going to be a 10 strong rotation that can match up talent wise with most anyone in the country.

PG: Rivers/Hulls
SG: Dumes/Creek/Story
SF: Watford/Williams
PF: Capobianco/Elston
C: Pritchard/Maniru

Gone/out of rotation: VJ III, Moore, Jobe(not that he was in it this year) Taber, Roth(who if he stays will be the 3 pt specialist)

What is interesting about this is IU's highest rated recruits play spots that we have the least need. I think Rivers and Hulls are locks to play the PG spot. Capb (not going to try to spell his full name) will probably take Taber's spot and obviously Pritchard will be in the mix down low. That leaves Creek, Watford, Elston, Dumes, Jones, Williams and Story fighting for the wing spots. Talk about competition. If you wanna win a spot in this rotation you better bring it every single day.

Also, I found this quote by Hulls:

"Purdue had been recruiting me for about two years already. Indiana and Coach Crean recruited me for only two weeks. So, I mean, that was all I needed to hear to know I wanted to go there."

How can you not love this kid?

Hoosier Red
03-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Some recruits may be reconsidering, including Dominique Ferguson who's apparantly pretty stellar.

http://www.idsnews.com/basketblog/?p=2239

As I mentioned in the previous post (under comments), five-star junior Dominique Ferguson is likely to re-open his recruitment, according to his father, Deon. The elder Ferguson told the Louisivlle Courier-Journal that his son, a Kentucky commit and Indy Lawrence North star, “has a lot on his mind right now” and there is “a strong possibility” that he will open things back up. Ferguson, a 6-foot-9 forward, committed to UK just weeks after Tom Crean took the IU job, so he likely does not have much of a relationship with Crean. We will try to track down Dominique and his father should he decommit.
Coach Crean was spotted at the Class 2A state finals game this afternoon, according to InsideTheHall, a game in which Fort Wayne Bishop Luers came away with their second straight championship. What makes this interesting is that Luers is led by five-star junior and Ohio State commit DeShaun Thomas. Thomas, who had 34 points and 15 rebounds this afternoon, has long been committed to Ohio State, but multiple times has been rumored to be re-opening his commitment. Each rumor has been met with either no comment, or affirmation of being committed to Ohio State. Thomas is ranked No. 8 in the nation according to Rivals.com. Check out this report former IDS basketball beat reporter and current EIC Michael Sanserino had on him from a January 2008 IU-Illinois game.

WVRed
03-28-2009, 11:01 PM
This is speculation on my part, but...

If rumors hold up and Tom Izzo is Mitch Barnhardt's first choice, that would likely leave an opening in East Lansing.

Being that Tom Izzo and Tom Crean are close friends and Izzo being Crean's mentor, is there any possibility Michigan State would pursue Crean if the job came open?

BRM
03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
This is speculation on my part, but...

If rumors hold up and Tom Izzo is Mitch Barnhardt's first choice, that would likely leave an opening in East Lansing.

Being that Tom Izzo and Tom Crean are close friends and Izzo being Crean's mentor, is there any possibility Michigan State would pursue Crean if the job came open?

For one, I don't think Izzo is going anywhere. However, if he did leave I don't think MSU would approach Crean after only one season at IU.

WMR
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
The Michigan State job would be a clear step down from Indiana.

BRM
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
The Michigan State job would be a clear step down from Indiana.

Good point.

WMR
03-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Way to jinx Slick Rick with your avatar choice, BRM! :beerme:

BRM
03-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Way to jinx Slick Rick with your avatar choice, BRM! :beerme:

I guess I need to change it now, huh?

BRM
03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
This is somewhat old news but Malik Story has decided to transfer. I'm surprised it wasn't posted earlier. No real surprise though.

Razor Shines
03-31-2009, 04:00 AM
This is somewhat old news but Malik Story has decided to transfer. I'm surprised it wasn't posted earlier. No real surprise though.

Yeah, I saw that in the Star the other day. Like the article said, I think he realized it was going to be tough for him to get playing time next year.

BRM
03-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I saw that in the Star the other day. Like the article said, I think he realized it was going to be tough for him to get playing time next year.

There was talk about him wanting to be closer to home but I think PT was the primary reason.

Hoosier Red
03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
He was third on my list of most likely to transfer behind VJ III and Williams. But as Jones got so much better at the end of the year, Williams is still ahead of Story on the depth chart, it's good to see neither of them are leaving.

BRM
03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Apparently Tom Crean helped Izzo with the game plan to beat U of L's press. This is from yesterday's Courier-Journal.

If U of L was a test, Izzo looked as if he'd spent all night with the teacher's manual. In fact, he had stayed up into the wee hours (Indiana coach Tom Crean, a veteran of some U of L battles, visited the team hotel Saturday night.) and came to yesterday's morning walk-through with a new game plan for attacking U of L's press.

Razor Shines
03-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Apparently Tom Crean helped Izzo with the game plan to beat U of L's press. This is from yesterday's Courier-Journal.

That's really cool. Good to see coaches at that level who aren't afraid to ask for help, and coaches who aren't afraid to give help.

BRM
04-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Jordan Hulls was named Indiana Mr. Basketball yesterday.

BRM
04-13-2009, 12:15 PM
From Inside The Hall, after this past weekend's Derby Festival Classic.

Scouting Report: Maurice Creek

A trio of Hoosiers, Christian Watford, Jordan Hulls and Maurice Creek, participated in the Derby Festival Basketball Classic over the weekend. It was my first in-person look at Creek and the Hargrave Military Academy guard exhibited star potential

Creek absolutely lived up to the billing that he’s one of the top shooters in the 2009 class. In the 3-point shootout and in the shoot around on Thursday, he showed the capability of hitting shots from all angles. He’ll play big minutes early in Bloomington for this reason alone, but he’s much more than a shooter. He can also knock down the pull-up jump shot and get into the lane and finish.

He exhibited above average ball handling ability and told reporters that he’s comfortable at either guard position. After the game on Saturday, he commented that he wanted to smile and have fun because some say he’s often too serious. However, his business like approach at times is part of what makes him great. He’s not the type of kid that is going to do much, if any, jersey popping or chest pounding.

It was hard to judge him defensively during the game on Saturday, but in Friday’s 2-on-2 contest final, he more than held his own against a quick point guard in Eric Bledsoe. His length and athleticism give him the tools to become an outstanding defensive player.

The Bottom Line: It’s hard to imagine a scenario in which Creek’s name won’t be called out in the starting lineup come the season opener next fall. He’s a humble kid who seemed thrilled to be participating in the Derby Festival Classic. His answer to nearly every question he was asked started with getting teammates involved and having fun. His ability to play either guard spot will give the IU coaching staff another ball handling option along with Verdell Jones, Jeremiah Rivers and Hulls.

ramp101
04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
man, forgot how many Hoosiers are on this site (I am one too)

have to check back in this thread often

Razor Shines
04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
That's good to hear about Creek. I haven't seen much of him. I've seen Hulls (in person) a few times and saw quite a bit of video on him. My one concern with Hulls is that he might be a tad slow, but I think he'll be great at running an offense.

BRM
04-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Terry Hutchens discusses Jordan Hulls.

How will the latest Indiana Mr. Basketball to attend IU do at the next level?

The list of Indianapolis Star Indiana Mr. Basketball's to attend Indiana University is a long one. In fact, when Bloomington South's Jordan Hulls was announced Sunday as the latest IU recruit to take home the honor, he became the 25th Mr. Basketball to attend IU.

Eleven of the previous 24 have gone on to earn All-American honors while at IU. Four have been Big Ten most valuable players.

But how will Hulls do at the next level? Most everyone seems to think he'll fit right in. Many think he'll eventually be the starting point guard for the Hoosiers as early as his freshman season. He'll certainly get every opportunity anyway. Jeremiah Rivers will give IU some veteran leadership at the position as a fourth-year junior and former part-time starter at Georgetown. But it will be difficult to keep Hulls out of the lineup. My guess is that he'll be a player who averages 20 minutes or more his freshman season and step in and make an immediate impact. In fact, I think you could say the same thing about at least three of his incoming freshman teammates when you add Maurice Creek, Christian Watford and Derek Elston to the conversation. I haven't seen Bawa Muniru play in person yet so I'll reserve my opinion there. I have seen Bobby Capobianco, and while I think he'll help, I don't see him as an immediate impact guy right away.

He also lists the previous 24 Mr. Basketballs that attended IU and highlights how their careers panned out.

http://blogs.indystar.com/hoosiersinsider/

BRM
04-14-2009, 01:18 PM
FWIW, a friend who's opinion I trust watched Capobianco play this past year and said the same thing Hutchens did. Talented player who will help the team eventually but needs time to develop.

dabvu2498
04-14-2009, 03:55 PM
FWIW, a friend who's opinion I trust watched Capobianco play this past year and said the same thing Hutchens did. Talented player who will help the team eventually but needs time to develop. Your friend is right about Copacabana. He will be nice but I wouldn't expect more than 15 minutes or so out of him as a frosh. I will have a further report as I am seeing him at an all star game this weekend.

BRM
04-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Your friend is right about Copacabana. He will be nice but I wouldn't expect more than 15 minutes or so out of him as a frosh. I will have a further report as I am seeing him at an all star game this weekend.

Sounds good. Don't forget to give us your scouting report after seeing him play this weekend.

Hoosier Red
04-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Won't it be nice when "won't give you more than 15 minutes/game" is the way its expected (because there are honest to goodness talented veterans) as opposed to a dissapointment?

dabvu2498
04-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds good. Don't forget to give us your scouting report after seeing him play this weekend. Nah, but thanks for asking! :P

dabvu2498
04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Won't it be nice when "won't give you more than 15 minutes/game" is the way its expected (because there are honest to goodness talented veterans) as opposed to a dissapointment? That's a good point. He may be in a situation where he has to go further. I was projecting him on to an "average" Big 10 team.

BRM
04-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Nah, but thanks for asking! :P

Sorry. Would you please give us the report? :)

BRM
04-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Won't it be nice when "won't give you more than 15 minutes/game" is the way its expected (because there are honest to goodness talented veterans) as opposed to a dissapointment?

No kidding. I can see where he may get pressed into more time than he's ready for this season. Someone has to log minutes in the post.

Hoosier Red
04-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Nick Williams to transfer.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=3097

Indiana freshman guard Nick Williams has decided to seek a transfer and will not return to the program.

His departure has been the subject of message board chatter for a few weeks, but Williams and coach Tom Crean continued to discussing the matter before deciding that it would be best if Williams, who was not pleased with his role last season, moved on.

We will have more on this story.

BRM
04-16-2009, 10:20 AM
IIRC, Williams and Story were the two players people thought were most likely to transfer. And they were right.

BRM
04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Well, we get no scouting report on Capobianco from Dab. Apparently he chose to play golf or go fishing instead. Oh well, I can't blame him for that.

dabvu2498
04-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Well, we get no scouting report on Capobianco from Dab. Apparently he chose to play golf or go fishing instead. Oh well, I can't blame him for that. Yeah. I am not as dedicated a scout as some. And actually, I was painting a shed!

BRM
04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah. I am not as dedicated a scout as some. And actually, I was painting a shed!

Painting? That's not nearly as much fun as fishing but at least it's an outdoor activity.

ramp101
04-20-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't think losing Nick or Story is a big deal

BRM
04-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Four of IU's '09 recruits made Scout.com's final Top 100 list. Three were in the top 50. Maurice Creek was #41, Christian Watford #47, Jordan Hulls #50 and Derek Elston was #77.

BRM
04-24-2009, 11:55 AM
A little info on Crean's first commitment for '10. From ITH (http://www.insidethehall.com/2009/04/23/williams-family-talks-iu-decision/#more-2829).

Williams family talks IU decision
By Alex | April 23, 2009

Many Indiana fans were surprised at the news early last evening that David Williams, a 6-7 wing from Jacksonville (FL), had given a verbal commitment to the Hoosiers. Despite averaging 21 points, 11 rebounds and six assists as a junior this past season, Williams was a virtual unknown nationally. We caught up with his father, Dwight, to learn more about the first addition to the 2010 class.

On his son’s decision to commit to Indiana:
“He was recently offered, but we had been in communications with Indiana since July. Roshown McLeod coached him last summer and Coach Crean hired McLeod to be an assistant coach and my son really, really liked two things: Indiana and he had a good relationship with Coach McLeod. He did all of his research, so this wasn’t a hasty decision. He knows a lot about the physical therapist program in which he wants to study. We went on the Web Site and researched the school. We know it’s cold up in that area (laughs). Everything that it offered was good. We looked at some games on the TV last season. So this was not they came to see him one time and he made a hasty decision. It was well thought out with David and the entire family.”

Thoughts on the distance from Jacksonville to Bloomington and being able to watch his son play in college:
“We’re gonna be there. As long as they have planes, we’re going to be there. It’s a very, very historical institution as far as basketball and it’s very prestigious as far as academics. We gave up convenience, but we felt in the long run, it would benefit our son.”

On David on the court versus David off the court:
“He is a very different person on and off the court. He’s intense, he’ll give you 110 percent, he works hard at practice, but he knows how to relax and have fun.”

WMR
04-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Good thing Crean locked this kid up early. ;)

WMR
04-24-2009, 01:06 PM
BTW: Crean is on twitter as well. Although Kentucky fans have already doubled up his number of followers in less than 24 hours. :D

BRM
04-24-2009, 01:08 PM
BTW: Crean is on twitter as well. Although Kentucky fans have already doubled up his number of followers in less than 24 hours. :D

The allure of the shady characters is always stronger.

dabvu2498
04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
BTW: Crean is on twitter as well. Although Kentucky fans have already doubled up his number of followers in less than 24 hours. :D Ashton Kutcher has more than both of them put together. That tells me all I need to know about twitter.

WMR
04-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Ashton Kutcher has more than both of them put together. That tells me all I need to know about twitter.

Not really.

Getting texts from your team's head coach letting fans know what he is up to on a daily basis is awesome as far as I'm concerned.

BRM
04-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Ashton Kutcher has more than both of them put together. That tells me all I need to know about twitter.

Kentucky fans also love Ashton Kutcher?

WMR
04-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I looked up David Williams on rivals and he has no stars. Is that correct?

http://kentucky.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=82383&sport=2

BRM
04-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Scout has him at 2 stars.

dabvu2498
04-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Not really. Getting texts from your team's head coach letting fans know what he is up to on a daily basis is awesome as far as I'm concerned. Or that its self-indulgent and vain. Pete Carrol is a huge tweeter.

WMR
04-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Or that its self-indulgent and vain. Pete Carrol is a huge tweeter.

I'm sure Stallings would like to tweet but it's easier to just call the people in his fav 5 directly. :D

dabvu2498
04-24-2009, 04:16 PM
:laugh: I'm sure Stallings would like to tweet but it's easier to just call the people in his fav 5 directly. :D Vanderbilt people have better things to do. Like keeping all those Kentucky grads employed. ;)

WMR
04-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Vanderbilt people have better things to do. Like keeping all those Kentucky grads employed. ;)

Quickest way to get a Vandy fan to talk about something other than sports?

Bring up sports.

hahaha

dabvu2498
04-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Quickest way to get a Vandy fan to talk about something other than sports? Bring up sports. hahaha Why bring up Vandy at all?

WMR
04-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Why bring up Vandy at all?

Why insult UK and IU's coaches?

BRM
04-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Two Kentucky fans arguing in an Indiana thread. This is priceless.

WMR
04-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Two Kentucky fans arguing in an Indiana thread. This is priceless.

haha dab is gold. :D

with uk "fans" like him, who needs enemies? ;)

if you cut him, though, he bleeds black and gold

dabvu2498
04-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Why insult UK and IU's coaches? Quoting someone's twitter numbers proves that it is a dog show, a popularity contest, a beauty pageant. Just pointing that out.

WMR
04-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Quoting someone's twitter numbers proves that it is a dog show, a popularity contest, a beauty pageant. Just pointing that out.

Mr. Helpful!! :D

;)

BRM
04-24-2009, 04:50 PM
haha dab is gold. :D

with uk "fans" like him, who needs enemies? ;)

if you cut him, though, he bleeds black and gold

I don't doubt his UK fandom. I do believe the Commodores are his #1 though. As they should be.

WMR
04-24-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't doubt his UK fandom. I do believe the Commodores are his #1 though. As they should be.

Oh I don't either.

I do believe that he enjoys tweaking me almost as much as he likes the Cats. :D

BRM
04-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Oh I don't either.

I do believe that he enjoys tweaking me almost as much as he likes the Cats. :D

There is much joy in tweaking WMR. Can't deny that one.

dabvu2498
04-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Oh I don't either. I do believe that he enjoys tweaking me almost as much as he likes the Cats. :D You brought up my alma mater! Here I am, discussing my disdain for twitter. Whew! :D

WMR
04-24-2009, 04:58 PM
You brought up my alma mater! Here I am, discussing my disdain for twitter. Whew! :D

Actually *I* brought up Stallings.

*YOU* went on to run down UK while propping up your beloved Harvard of the South. :D

BRM
04-24-2009, 04:59 PM
You brought up my alma mater! Here I am, discussing my disdain for twitter. Whew! :D

Twitter? I thought you were debating the man-love UK fans apparently have for Ashton Kutcher?

dabvu2498
04-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Actually *I* brought up Stallings. *YOU* went on to run down UK while propping up your beloved Harvard of the South. :D Yeah, you weren't baiting me at all. :)

WMR
04-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah, you weren't baiting me at all. :)

http://theinsanityreport.com/images/pot_kettle.jpg

Razor Shines
04-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Alright. Both of you out!!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HpuyGdoXyyo/R89RQ1FszAI/AAAAAAAAAuQ/96SzhXqQ1Mw/s400/swayze_roadhouse.jpg
You've had enough. We don't need you cluttering up this thread for the 3 or 4 IU fans that are on this board.

Playadlc
04-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Alright. Both of you out!!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HpuyGdoXyyo/R89RQ1FszAI/AAAAAAAAAuQ/96SzhXqQ1Mw/s400/swayze_roadhouse.jpg
You've had enough. We don't need you cluttering up this thread for the 3 or 4 IU fans that are on this board.

Amen.

WMR
04-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Amen.

Razor was joking.

Look at Hoosier fan postings in the UK thread, please.

BRM
04-27-2009, 01:02 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about.

:p:

Razor Shines
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Razor was joking.

Excuse me? You've been asked to leave nicely, Swayze is just the first line of defense. You don't even want to know who's next. :D

WMR
04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Excuse me? You've been asked to leave nicely, Swayze is just the first line of defense. You don't even want to know who's next. :D

hahahahaha

NOBODY PUTS BABY IN THE CORNER!!!!! :angry:

BRM
05-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I saw this quote from Coach Crean on ITH.

“That’s fine. But don’t be mad at me if we find another guy who has more belief in what we’re going to do, wants to work hard and wants to help us make it back a little faster.” - Crean on his reaction when recruits question last year’s 6-25 record and how long it might take for IU to reach the NCAA Tournament again.

BRM
05-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Crean continues vow to restore Hoosier luster
By MIKE HUTSELL

STARLIGHT — Tom Crean’s first goal Wednesday night was purely a selfish one.

“Tonight’s about getting more people on my Twitter page,” joked the Indiana University men’s basketball coach to a group of reporters before speaking at the Indiana University Coaches’ Tailgate Tour stop at Huber’s Orchard and Winery. “I’ve got competition with other coaches about followers. I’ve got some catching up to do.”

As Crean looks for a new legion of fans to follow him in the latest online revolution, he accomplished his second goal with the same enthusiasm and swagger that has become his staple in his tenure as Hoosier head coach.

“I’m here today for Indiana University,” said Crean about his true mission in speaking to hundreds of red-clad supports. “I’m here to let them know that we won’t rest until we make this program great again.”

While some coaches who are fresh off a 6-25 season that included a single-season record for losses at IU would be hiding from the fan base as worries about job security percolated on every .com on the Internet, Crean was warmly embraced by the Hoosier Nation who was there to discuss the few highlights during a season filled with on-court lowlights.

And they were there to hear what the coach was doing to bring back the shine to the tarnished empire in Bloomington.

“There’s three things we have to do with the basketball program and right now we’ve done two of them,” Crean said. “We had to establish a work ethic with a group of kids who were completely new to college basketball — we did that. We had to find a group of kids who want to come to Indiana and be here and make this program great again and we’ve done that.”

The third thing, Crean said, is returning the enthusiasm to the Hoosier program — as evidenced by the army of Hoosier fans who forked over $50 per seat to hear his message on Wednesday night.

“We have to get our enthusiasm back and continue on our way back,” said Crean. “Because it’s still Indiana.”

Crean said that progress can already be seen — even if it was tough to find in the on-court results a year ago.

He talked about inheriting a program littered with 19 Fs on player report cards and today sitting with a roster where eight players carry a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher.

He talked about seeing players who would have been better served as filling redshirt roles on other Division I rosters, who have transformed into consistent college players who will be the nucleus of his program moving ahead.

“This is exciting, this is fun and this is going to be special,” Crean shouted. “This is exactly why I came here. You guys are already proud to say you’re Hoosiers, but we’re going to make you even prouder.

“And why do I say that? Because it’s Indiana.”

http://www.news-tribune.net/homepage/local_story_148012301.html?keyword=leadpicturestor y

Hoosier Red
05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Tom Crean could read the phone book and I'd be fired up.

BRM
05-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Tom Crean could read the phone book and I'd be fired up.

:laugh: I feel the same way.

I actually ran into another Hoosier fan out here last weekend at a HS graduation party. There aren't many of us out here unfortunately. He said basically the same thing you just did. Every time Crean speaks, he gets fired up.

BRM
05-29-2009, 11:14 AM
From a CJ article a couple of days ago.

If you're looking for somebody to provide a scouting report on the Indiana University baseball team that will play the University of Louisville here tomorrow night in the NCAA Tournament, I'll make a suggestion:

Ask Tom Crean, the IU basketball coach, who plans to be in Jim Patterson Stadium tomorrow night.

Eric Arnett, the pitcher who will start against U of L, and Kipp Schutz, the Hoosiers' top hitter, both practiced with Crean's first IU team for most of last season. Crean needed bodies. They wanted the competition and conditioning.

“We had seven major-league baseball scouts at one practice,” Crean said.
“We didn't have that many NBA scouts there all year.”

Crean paused, but wasn't looking for sympathy. He was looking to make sure everybody was ready for his punch-line.

“That will change,” he said. “That's definitely going to change.”

“I don't have any doubt it will change,” Arnett said. “Faster than most people think.”

WMR
05-29-2009, 02:41 PM
So which freshman are you most excited to see on the floor for the Hoosiers?

BRM
05-29-2009, 02:43 PM

I'd have to say Maurice Creek. Although Crean is really singing the praises of Derek Elston. He says Elston has been very underrated by the masses.

Razor Shines
05-30-2009, 03:51 AM
I'd have to say Maurice Creek. Although Crean is really singing the praises of Derek Elston. He says Elston has been very underrated by the masses.

I like Creek too.

I don't know about Elston. When I've seen him in high school he played only 4 or 5 and didn't shoot from outside the paint. That's fine for HS, but I'm concerned that at only 6'8" 210 he's not going to be big enough to bang inside in the Big Ten. He's got great touch though and he's pretty athletic. So maybe he's either got the ability to play outside or he's gotten bigger and can play inside.

BRM
06-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Here's the blurb I was referring to about Elston.

He loves his six-player recruiting class as well as Jeremiah Rivers, the transfer from Georgetown who will be eligible to play this fall. Most of the national discussion about the Hoosier freshmen begins with guard Maurice Creek or forward Christian Watford.

But here is the name of another player Crean believes the national gurus have overlooked: forward Derek Elston from Tipton, Indiana. The son of former North Carolina player Darrell Elston, Derek missed the AAU circuit last summer with a knee injury.

“He's one guy who I think is really undervalued and underrated,” Crean said. “I have a lot of respect for him because he was already committed (before Crean took over in April 2008) and then he recommitted.

“He's one of those players who'll give us the size we need around the basket, but can also come away from the basket and make something happen with the basketball or make the outside shot.”

Razor Shines
06-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Here's the blurb I was referring to about Elston.

Well, that's the thing I was wondering about. If Crean says he has the ability to make an outside shot then I'll take his word on it. I just hadn't seen Elston do it.

BRM
06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
A buddy sent me an email with this little tidbit about David Williams. Not sure who actually watched him play and sent the scouting report. I sent that question back and am awaiting the response.

If you were wondering why Indiana recruit David Williams plays for an Atlanta team, it may be because his father Dwight told us in North Carolina this past weekend that he was a long time resident of Atlanta before moving his family to Jacksonville.

Speaking of Williams, you can get a pretty good feel for a player after watching him play for six games and then rewatching the tape of it as you cut for highlights. He moves his feet well defensively and handles the ball very well for a 6-foot-7 player. At the same time we did not see him make an outside shot the whole weekend and he seems to have a shorter wingspan than ideal which made it tough for him to finish inside at times. The latter can't be changed but he may need to improve his jump shot to play a lot at the next level. Liked his court temperament and you could tell he was very well liked by his teammates. Very nice kid who seems to understand he has to be more aggressive offensively but it is very hard to do with the Jordan McRae, Ryan Harrow and Trae Golden trio he plays with on the Celtics. McRae and Harrow are prospects that I can easily see playing in the NBA some day. Other small things to like about Williams include the way he outlets the ball, how he sometimes gets the ball up quickly on the glass before the defense can react and the fact that any time the game was close, especially in the closing minutes, Celtics coach Jammar Stegall always had Williams on the court. That is saying something because while there were quite a few talented Celtic players beyond the trio we just named.

Bumstead
06-02-2009, 01:05 PM

Watford! Super athletic wing; should be fun to watch develop.

Bum

BRM
06-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Kyrie Irving says IU is at the top of his list.

“They’re at the top of my list for now,” Irving told Zagoria in a phone interview. “It’s them and Notre Dame and Duke and Virginia. They’re at the top of my list right now.”

“They have my major, which is journalism, one of the best programs in the country in journalism,” Irving continued. “I got a home feeling when I went out in Indiana. They showed me around the campus. I got a feel a good feel for the campus. It went really well. The fan support was tremendous. They really showed me a good time out there.”

Hoosier Red
06-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow, nothing like immediately putting on the breaks though. Good thing the interview didn't go any further or he might have had 6 schools "definately at the top of his list."

Glad to be one of the four though.

BRM
06-02-2009, 07:03 PM
The current ITH Poll is "Who will lead Indiana in scoring next season?". The choices are:

Devan Dumes
Christian Watford
Maurice Creek
Verdell Jones
Jeremiah Rivers
Tom Pritchard

Hoosier Red
06-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm going with Watford. I think Creek takes some of Dumes' time but not right away. Creek may be the leading scorer for the B11 season though.

I'm dissapointed Tijan's not an option.

BRM
06-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm dissapointed Tijan's not an option.

:lol:

Watford is the leading vote getter by the way.

Bumstead
06-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I would pick Verdell Jones. How good was this guy at the end of the season?? And now we are supposed to believe he is not going to even start or be a factor this season. C'mon, the incoming players are really good, but I still think Verdell leads the team in scoring for the season. Last 10 games, maybe Watford or Creek are the leading scorers. I can't wait to see how much muscle Verdell puts on during the offseason.

I'm really excited to see how good these guys are.

Bum

Playadlc
06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Anyone here have season tickets for football?

Hoosier Red
06-19-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't. Had them for a couple of years when Hoeppner was coach. Dropped them for economic reasons in the bowl year, but I did get the cheap $100 set that year.

BRM
06-19-2009, 05:04 PM
When the update came through via Twitter, the first thought that raced through the minds of Indiana fans was, ‘Is Coach Crean going to bring back Bobby?’ He did, after all, say he wanted to bring every former coach, player and manager back to Bloomington. (If he had more than 140 characters, I’m sure a disclaimer would have been added for Kelvin Sampson and Eli Holman. No one throws a potted plant and gets away with it!)

From all indications, the return of the General to Assembly Hall is unlikely to happen anytime soon or possibly, ever. Through back channels, hands have been extended and overtures made. With no results.

Despite the over the top pleas by Dick Vitale and the majority of the IU fanbase, hard feelings about his dismissal still run deep for Coach Knight. And that may always be the case even though the administration that chased him from Bloomington is long gone.

Knight never has been or never will be a man that forgives or forgets easily. If you peel away the bully mentality that dominates his personality, this is a man that is still hurt by the way things ended at Indiana.

From Indiana’s perspective, the major factor is in place to facilitate a reunion: Tom Crean. Knight was never going to acknowledge IU under Mike Davis or Kelvin Sampson. Knight’s relationship with Davis ended once his former assistant took over. And his tolerance for a cheater like Sampson was zero. But with Crean, the program finally has a coach that even Knight would be proud of. Even if he never admits it.

http://www.insidethehall.com/

BRM
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Kelvin Sampson's appeal on his five year show-cause order was denied by the NCAA yesterday.

In other news - Crean and Calipari have been discussing moving the IU/UK game back to a neutral site, alternating between Louisville and Indianapolis. This would begin in 2010 if they can work it out. This year's game is in Bloomington.

DTCromer
07-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Kelvin Sampson's appeal on his five year show-cause order was denied by the NCAA yesterday.

In other news - Crean and Calipari have been discussing moving the IU/UK game back to a neutral site, alternating between Louisville and Indianapolis. This would begin in 2010 if they can work it out. This year's game is in Bloomington.

I hate this trend. Neutral site games suck.

flyer85
07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Knight never has been or never will be a man that forgives or forgets easily.RMK hold a grudge ... say it ain't so Bobby.

I am sure Bobby has reveled in the demise of the Hoosier program.

WMR
07-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Looks like Tom isn't as averse to stepping into the gray area as Hoosier fans would like to believe. Maybe they oughta put his application for sainthood on hold after all. :D

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Tom-Crean-s-too-obvious-Twitter-blunder?urn=ncaab,176769

But then again, maybe some rival fan/coach hacked into his twitter account... I'm just having trouble believing that the super-duper clean Tom Crean would do such a thing.

Hoosier Red
07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
There's not really a gray area here. There are rules Crean follows them.
Where there are no rules, Crean takes advantage.

That said, this practice should be verboten.

Razor Shines
07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Looks like Tom isn't as averse to stepping into the gray area as Hoosier fans would like to believe. Maybe they oughta put his application for sainthood on hold after all. :D

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Tom-Crean-s-too-obvious-Twitter-blunder?urn=ncaab,176769

But then again, maybe some rival fan/coach hacked into his twitter account... I'm just having trouble believing that the super-duper clean Tom Crean would do such a thing.

I read most of that article wondering if Kyle Irving is related to Kyrie Irving. Supposedly there are a lot of other coaches that follow recruits too, I'm too lazy to look it up though.

Strikes Out Looking
07-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Having a rule against following a recruit on twitter is just as stupid as twitter.

Is there a rule against coaches surfing the net and reading a high school player's blog (if he has one?)

BRM
07-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I wasn't aware that we put Crean in for sainthood. You learn something new every day.

SOL nailed it. Twitter is stupid.

cumberlandreds
07-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I wasn't aware that we put Crean in for sainthood. You learn something new every day.

SOL nailed it. Twitter is stupid.

I agree Twitter is stupid. But the NCAA will probably have to legislate against using it in order to contact potential recruits. Just add another volume to the rulebook.

BRM
07-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I agree Twitter is stupid. But the NCAA will probably have to legislate against using it in order to contact potential recruits. Just add another volume to the rulebook.

They will have to add blogs to the volume as well, as SOL pointed out. I assume emailing is already against the rules.

BRM
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Austin Etherington from Hamilton Heights, IN has committed to IU. He's the second commit for Crean in the 2011 class.

Hoosier Red
08-04-2009, 03:52 PM
I think we're going to run 5 guards out there at some point. Any word on whether AJ Moye has any eligibility left to play center?

BRM
08-14-2009, 01:00 PM
An update on Muniru, Dumes, Pritchard and Jones from ITH:

If you’re following us on Twitter, you know by now that Bawa Muniru is in Bloomington and Maurice Creek should be there shortly. And if you’ve browsed the various IU message boards, you may have read some reports of Bawa and the rest of the IU team playing pickup at the HPER.

What you haven’t read is the following report from Inside the Hall reader Bryan, who told us via tips@insidethehall.com about his encounter with Bawa and also details the physical transformation of Tom Pritchard, Devan Dumes and Verdell Jones.

I know there was a story run in the IDS about Bawa being at the HPER playing with all of the guys. Just to add to that story, I saw him today and offered him a ride. He was incredibly nice, smiled, and politely shook his head. I then told him to get used to ridiculous things like people stopping in traffic on the bypass. Yeah, that’s another thing, he was walking on the bypass. At the Dunn intersection. Weird. His face even has defined muscles, it’s quite ridiculous.

I thought it might be a good idea to run a small piece on the progress of players over the course of the summer. I’ve seen a lot of players everyday over the course of the summer and some of them have undergone incredible body transformations. Tom Pritchard is a big-fat-for-instance. At the beginning of June I saw him and he looked like a wad of cookie dough. I saw him today and he looks like he’s lost at least 20 pounds. He looked really lean. Devan Dumes looks bulked up, and the stories about VJ3 hitting the weight room hard have to be true because seeing him last year and then this year yields a glaring difference. I’m a monstrous 6′2, 165lbs and I used to look about the same frame-wise as he did, but now he has some muscle to go with those 7ft. arms.

So there you have it. Bawa’s face has ridiculous muscles and Pritchard, Dumes and Verdell are making strides in the weight room. We’re a Maurice Creek sighting away from a full roster in Bloomington. And that should happen next week. Only 63 more days until Hoosier Hysteria.

Hoosier Red
08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Sadly, none of those players is John Wall or Santa Claus, so I'm not really sure there's any point to the season.

WMR
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Sadly, none of those players is John Wall or Santa Claus, so I'm not really sure there's any point to the season.

Sure there is. Shooting for .500 is an admirable goal for the Hoosiers this season.

BRM
08-14-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd be thrilled with a .500 season.

Hoosier Red
08-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I'd be thrilled with a .500 season.

I would too, .500 season almost definately is an NIT bid, and the experience will really pay off in the next couple of years.

BRM
08-14-2009, 02:54 PM
I would too, .500 season almost definately is an NIT bid, and the experience will really pay off in the next couple of years.

There will be much partying at the BRM ranch if the Hoosiers make the NIT this season. I can tell you that.

WMR
08-14-2009, 02:54 PM
I wonder how that 2 star kid that Crean gave a scholarship to is coming along? Heard anything about him?

BRM
08-14-2009, 02:56 PM
I wonder how that 2 star kid that Crean gave a scholarship to is coming along? Heard anything about him?

He's no Santa Claus...

I honestly don't know. Haven't read anything about him lately. He's a 2010 recruit anyway.

Hoosier Red
08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
The IDS was promising an update on him today or next week I think.

WMR
08-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Is he their only 2010 commitment so far?

BRM
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Is he their only 2010 commitment so far?

Yep.

Hoosier Red
08-22-2009, 07:11 PM
This may deserve its own thread but IU announced they will induct Bob Knight into the IU hall of fame this fall. That's one way to get attendance for the IU-Wisconsin football game.

On a side note they are also inducting Jerry Yeagley who is among the classiest human beings ever to be associated with the University.

redsfanmia
08-23-2009, 04:44 PM
This may deserve its own thread but IU announced they will induct Bob Knight into the IU hall of fame this fall. That's one way to get attendance for the IU-Wisconsin football game.

On a side note they are also inducting Jerry Yeagley who is among the classiest human beings ever to be associated with the University.

What do you think the odds of Coach Knight actually showing up?

chicoruiz
08-23-2009, 06:27 PM

The feeling in Indy is he probably won't, either because he doesn't want to steal the spotlight from the other inductees, or just because of general crankiness.

redsfanmia
08-23-2009, 06:43 PM
The feeling in Indy is he probably won't, either because he doesn't want to steal the spotlight from the other inductees, or just because of general crankiness.

I vote its because of the general crankiness.

Hoosier Red
08-23-2009, 06:53 PM

I'm not sure. I think it's good that they're going to use Bob Hammel to lobby for him to come back. But if he comes back fine, if not fine. It's just better that he's inducted.

BRM
08-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure. I think it's good that they're going to use Bob Hammel to lobby for him to come back. But if he comes back fine, if not fine. It's just better that he's inducted.

That's how I feel about it too. I hope he comes back though. It would be nice to see him there again.

BRM
08-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Chris Korman and Terry Hutchens weigh in on the Knight induction. Taken from ITH.

+ Chris Korman: Bloomington Herald-Times: Ignoring Knight — which had seemed to be the strategy until Tom Crean arrived on campus — was to partake in his tantrum. By pretending to have moved on more completely than it ever could have, the university was simply exacerbating the problem. No tension grows as thick as tension that is unspoken.

Now, it will break. Knight will come back. Or he won’t. That’s up to him. He’ll send that message when he’s ready.

+ Terry Hutchens: Indianapolis Star: When I spoke to several former IU basketball players on Saturday afternoon for a story that runs on Sunday in the Indianapolis Star, I got the impression that as a group they would like to see Knight come back to Bloomington and be honored. I think as a group they would like to all come back and be part of a big celebration to honor the man they truly love and respect. But while they would like to see that take place, I don’t think anyone is holding their breath on this one.

While I believe IU is doing the right thing here by attempting to honor coach Knight as a member of the Indiana Athletics Hall of Fame, I also don’t really think RMK will be back the first weekend in November for the induction and the introduction the next day at halftime of the IU-Wisconsin football game.

BRM
08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
I missed this one from Kent Sterling of 1070 The Fan.

+ Kent Sterling: 1070 The Fan: In the end, though, Knight was a untethered renegade after John Ryan and Ralph Floyd were no longer his bosses. Tom Ehrlich tried to corral Knight, and paid the price as Knight danced with New Mexico as a potential employer. No one in Indiana needs another recitation of Knight’s over the top behavior, so let’s just say he behaved as though he was above consequence as he continually treated people inside and outside Assembly Hall with disdain.

Does Bob Knight belong in the Indiana University Athletic Hall of Fame? Absolutely. If any coach belongs in a hall of fame, it’s Bob Knight. If he shows up and expresses a respect for his employer of 29 years, that would bring a fitting and appropriate closure to his career at IU. It would give his former players and fans a chance to say thanks with an ovation that would echo through Assembly Hall for years. If he doesn’t show up, it would be typical behavior from a man who has spent a lifetime playing by his own rules and answering to no one other than the man he sees in the mirror.

BRM
08-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Comments from Coach Crean on Creek, Muniru, and Bob Knight:

The eligibility of Maurice Creek and Bawa Muniru: “There’s some technicalities with it. We’re looking forward to them being cleared very soon. We don’t have any reason to believe that they won’t be. it’s just a matter of it getting done. The paperwork that goes into it, it’s all there. Hopefully we won’t have to revise their schedule at all. Right now I can’t tell you exactly what we’ll do there. We’re going to wait and hope we hear something by the end of this week or the latest hopefully by the beginning of next week, I’ll be disappointed if we don’t hear something by then, that they’ll be cleared and ready to go.”

On Bobby Knight’s induction to the Indiana Hall of Fame: “I was all for it. It’s just a matter of looking out and saying ‘Let’s get it done.’ I think it will be fantastic to be able to walk into that building and have people walk into that building and know that their coach is honored with all of the other greats at Indiana, because certainly it’s one thing to have him in the Naismith Hall of Fame, but with everything he did at Indiana, the shelf’s not full yet. Let’s get the shelf full and get him in there.”

BRM
09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Maurice Creek was cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse yesterday.

cumberlandreds
09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Maurice Creek was cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse yesterday.

So that means after his playing days are over he will be declared ineligible and IU will have to forfeit their 2012 National Championship. Right? ;)

BRM
09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
So that means after his playing days are over he will be declared ineligible and IU will have to forfeit their 2012 National Championship. Right? ;)

I like the 2012 Championship part! I'd prefer to leave all forfeiting of games and removing of banners to the University of Kentucky if at all possible. ;)

WMR
09-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Indiana received their 2nd 2010 commitment, 3-star guard Victor Oladipo.

Victor is ranked 133rd overall in his class according to Rivals.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Victor-Oladipo-84192

Razor Shines
09-07-2009, 10:30 PM
I've been following Crean on twitter lately. He tweets quite often and seems genuinely excited about the guys he has. Here's his latest:

TomCrean Its also a treat to watch them get to know each other as people and teammates. No entourages and package deals. No divas. No look at me.
about 4 hours ago from txt

TomCrean Its awesome to sit in this Arena and watch this group of very young men learn to work at the pace and intensity that will be needed to win.

Razor Shines
09-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Coach Crean's first Video update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jETmTZKN0U

I freakin' love Tom Crean.

SunDeck
09-08-2009, 10:07 PM
That was way more than 149 characters.

Bumstead
09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Great coach! Loved the video.

Bum

Hoosier Red
09-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Well this sucks.

http://www.idsnews.com/blogs/hoosierhype/?p=2706

In a major shift from information given only a couple weeks ago, IU is out of the mix for the No. 4 point guard in the nation, Kyrie Irving, his uncle Sye Dean told Adam Zagoria of Zagsblog. Formerly, it was believed that Indiana and Duke were Irving’s top two schools, and that he would definitely take a visit to both.

Earlier today, his father told Zagoria that the Irvings were postponing their visit to IU, slated for Oct. 2, and that they were planning a visit to Georgia Tech on Oct. 23.

This is a huge blow to IU’s recruiting class for 2010. However, Josh Selby, the No. 4 overall recruit in the land, who is also a point guard, has recently added IU to the list of schools he is looking at. That may be IU’s last hope for a five-star player this year.

Currently, the class includes the No. 133 recruit in the nation, three-star shooting guard Victor Oladipo, and the unranked two-star forward David Williams.

I don't get too invested in recruiting, but I can't help but wonder how IU went from so high to so low so quickly.

Razor Shines
09-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Damn, that's a kick in the pants.

thatcoolguy_22
09-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't get too invested in recruiting, but I can't help but wonder how IU went from so high to so low so quickly.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/20070123/kelvin-sampson-3.jpg

redsfanmia
09-20-2009, 02:20 PM
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/20070123/kelvin-sampson-3.jpg

They hit rock bottom with Kelvin but they started to drop by the end of Knight's tenure. Mike Davis brought some energy to the program the first few years but was in over his head once Coach Knights players left.

BRM
09-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Disappointing news about Irving. Crean needed him given what's currently committed for 2010. Now we hold out hope for the extreme long shot, Josh Selby.

Razor Shines
09-23-2009, 07:33 AM
That Selby kid is a bad dude, I almost think I like him better than Kyrie Irving. The only thing is in all of the video I've seen of Selby I haven't seen one jump shot. Even still I'd love it if Crean could some how sneak in and steal him.

EDIT: I just watched the compilation on ITH and he takes two 3's in that video. His jumper looks good enough for someone with his athletic ability.