PDA

View Full Version : What was the most recent movie I watched?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

redsmetz
06-14-2009, 04:19 PM
My wife and I went and saw The Brothers Bloom last night at the Esquire. Fun movie, typical performances from Adrian Brody and Mark Ruffalo. Rachel Weisz is pretty funny and Japanese actress, Rinko Kikuchi is just hilarious with virtually no lines throughout the entire movie. Quirky and you have to suspend belief (as you often have to do in some movies), but lots of fun.

pedro
06-14-2009, 04:38 PM
"the hangover" was great.

Planning to see "up" this week.

RBA
06-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Bringing up Baby. Very funny.

George Anderson
06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Rented Gran Torino last night. Good flick. Some great lines too.

Being a huge Eastwood fan, and obviously carrying a stereotypical "image" of the guy from his list macho male movies, it's just hard watching an almost 80 yr old Eastwood.

But even at almost 80 yrs old, if he tells me to get off his yard - I'm gonna listen and not make his day. :lol:

This was a great flick and i rarely use the word "great" when describing a movie.

This is supposedly Eastwood's last acting role and he went out on a good one!!

deltachi8
06-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Gran Torinno. Fantastic.

OldRightHander
06-15-2009, 12:17 AM
I loved Gran Torino. Vintage Eastwood there. I saw Up recently and really enjoyed that as well. I saw Pelham 123 tonight and didn't really care for it much. The acting was ok, but I found it rather predictable and the large number of F bombs didn't strike my fancy.

cumberlandreds
06-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Just saw Drag Me to Hell on Friday night. Pretty good movie. It had some good scary moments as well as some funny ones too. The type of horror movie that didn't take itself too seriously. I didn't know any of the actors or actresses. But then again I'm not a big movie buff either. Its worth the matinee price that we saw it at.

Saw the preview to the new Johnny Depp movie in which he plays John Dillinger. That looked like it may be a good one. I think it comes out in July. My wife loves Depp so we will be going to that one I'm sure.

BuckeyeRed27
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Saw Pelham over the weekend because Hangover was sold out. It's not a must see for sure, but it wasn't a bad action movie. As someone else said there is a lot of language in it which wasn't really needed.

RichRed
06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I guess thats where cinema and reality meet. IMO Penn's portrayal of Milk was not that of a middle road gay man. Unfortunately IMO Penn took the movie to an extreme in order to make a statement. Maybe his portrayal of Milk is just my inability to look past Penn the man and see Penn the actor. Regardless it was a good and quite powerful movie.

I finally saw "Milk" last night - excellent movie. My uncle actually met Harvey Milk several times and this is what he said about the film:

The movie was uncanny in the way it captured not just the times, but more importantly the vocal tones, the cadences, the movements of each of the characters. It was almost spooky -- Sean Penn WAS Harvey Milk.

VR
06-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Benjamin Button this weekend......one of the worst movies I've seen. Was a little iffy on watching it because of the storyline...but my wife talked me into watching it with her.
I now have several credits stockpiled with her. :)

The Baumer
06-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Just saw Moon starring Sam Rockwell.

If you are a fan of sci fi you will want to see this.

BoxingRed
06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Just saw Moon starring Sam Rockwell.

If you are a fan of sci fi you will want to see this.

Really anxious to see this. I hope it makes it to wide release, otherwise I'll have to wait for the DVD.

TRF
06-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I watched There Will be Blood this weekend.

I don't know if I liked it, just that I couldn't stop watching it. Great "what the hell?" moment to end it though.

yab1112
06-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Just saw The Hangover Monday night. I wasn't expecting to laugh too much but I was pleasantly surprised. Solid movie.:thumbup:

Sean_CaseyRules
06-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Just saw "The Hangover" last night. I absolutely loved it. There were some parts when I laughed so hard my abs hurt afterwards. 5 out of 5 stars.

Watched Gran Torino also, and I'm a Clint Eastwood fan, and I thought it was awesome. I really enjoyed it. So many quotes throughout the movie. 5 out of 5 stars.

TRF
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Watched An Unfinished Life. The story was a little Lifetime Movie Networkish, but it was beautifully shot. Good solid cast. I totally bought Redford as a tough guy.

*BaseClogger*
06-19-2009, 10:35 PM
The International

It had a decent plot for an action movie, but really wasn't that memorable.

4/10

American Hardcore

Very interesting and full of great interviews, but in the end it's kinda hard to really enjoy a movie about a musical genre you don't listen to.

4/10

RFS62
06-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Just watched Gran Torino. Thought it was good, but not as good as I thought it would be after all the hype.

AccordinglyReds
06-19-2009, 11:07 PM
The Queen and I

A doc film about former Queen Farrah Pahlavi, following her around and interviewing from the filmmaker, who shared stark contrasting beliefs during the Revolution.

RedsBaron
06-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Just watched Gran Torino. Thought it was good, but not as good as I thought it would be after all the hype.

We watched Gran Torino last night as well. I really liked it. It was probably impossible for the film to live up to all the hype, but I thought that it was quite good. I am surprised that 79 year old Clint Eastwood didn't snag an Oscar nomination for what was likely his final acting performance.

cincyinco
06-22-2009, 04:28 AM
American Hardcore

Very interesting and full of great interviews, but in the end it's kinda hard to really enjoy a movie about a musical genre you don't listen to.

4/10

I'd challenge you to watch "it's all gone, Pete tong" even though its more of a mockumentary... Still a good flick for anyone I think, and its definitely about a music genre most don't care for.

RedsBaron
06-22-2009, 12:10 PM
We also watched "Valkyrie" over the weekend. The story is interesting, but the movie is mediocre at best IMO. I am still surprised that the film was even made, especially as a Christmas release, as it is hardly a "feel-good" movie.

HotCorner
06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
"the hangover" was great.

Planning to see "up" this week.

The opposite of me.

We saw Up last week. It's a very well done story once again by Pixar. :thumbup:

Planning to see Hangover within the next couple of weeks.

RichRed
06-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Saw "Up" on Saturday. Very touching, whimsical, clever, sad, sweet and funny. Pixar does it again.

BuckeyeRed27
06-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Saw the Hangover last night and loved it. Really really funny.

*BaseClogger*
06-22-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd challenge you to watch "it's all gone, Pete tong" even though its more of a mockumentary... Still a good flick for anyone I think, and its definitely about a music genre most don't care for.

It sounds interesting, but I have no idea how I would get a copy of that movie...

VR
06-23-2009, 01:41 PM
We also watched "Valkyrie" over the weekend. The story is interesting, but the movie is mediocre at best IMO. I am still surprised that the film was even made, especially as a Christmas release, as it is hardly a "feel-good" movie.

Saw that last week as well. The glass eye was the most exciting part of the flick/

cincyinco
06-23-2009, 03:51 PM
It sounds interesting, but I have no idea how I would get a copy of that movie...

I think I grabbed my copy for cheap on amazon?

Netflix?

Worthwhile if you can check it out, one of my very favorites, for a variety of reasons..

*BaseClogger*
06-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I think I grabbed my copy for cheap on amazon?

Netflix?

Worthwhile if you can check it out, one of my very favorites, for a variety of reasons..

I really need to look into NetFlix. Thanks... :thumbup:

cincyinco
06-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Another idea.. Your local library?
The new one up the street from me has a surprisingly decent selection of all kinds of movies..

All for free!

KoryMac5
06-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Saw UP on Sunday with the wife, we both loved it and thank all of you who recommended it. Silly enough to keep kids interested but with a great story for adults.

*BaseClogger*
06-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Another idea.. Your local library?
The new one up the street from me has a surprisingly decent selection of all kinds of movies..

All for free!

I don't think it's gonna matter, because I'm gonna start NetFlix up when I get back to school... :thumbup:

Caveat Emperor
06-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Saw "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" tonight -- definitely a "wait for DVD" on this one, unless you were a really hardcore fan of the original movie.

The movie and Megan Fox both held my interest, but the idea felt more than a little stale this go-around. Additionally, it seemed like the writers completely forgot how to write the Transformer characters at times -- disappointingly so, considering they did such a good job in the original movie creating characters and behavior for the robots that allowed some suspension of disbelief to occur. In this film, the robots behaved, at times, like giant cartoon characters and the movie slid dangerously close to camp.

Maybe a 5/10 or a 4.5/10 from me (Original was probably 7/10).

GIDP
06-25-2009, 04:46 AM
The Hurt Locker

*BaseClogger*
06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
I thought the first Transformers was awful so I'm going to steer clear of the sequel...

redsmetz
06-30-2009, 08:44 PM
A couple of more to mention. My wife and I rented Last Chance Harvey with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. Nice flick, not your usual romantic comedy.

Tonight we finished Witness for the Prosecution, the 1957 film by Billy Wilder, an adaptation of an Agatha Christie play. Charles Laughton stars with Marlene Dietrich and Cincinnatian Tyrone Power (his last film). Power plays an Englishman, but never has an accent, just says chap occasionally, etc.

But, wow, what a surprise ending! And as the cast listings are shown, an announcer says something like, "the management of this theatre ask that you know divulge the surprise ending."

Laughton is very good and received an Oscar nomination (one of several for the movie).

GAC
07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Started my 2 week vacation and have a nice stack of DVDs on top of the TV I want to watch. Some are older movies that I haven't seen in awhile. Thank God they are on DVD so I can go back to the sections where I feel asleep (which I seem to do quite a lot). :lol:

Watched Stripes again. Hadn't seen it in years. One of Bill Murray's best IMO.

Also watched The Perfect Storm and Enemy At The Gates..

Yesterday I picked up a discount DVD of the original Scarface, produced in the 1930's by Howard Hughes, directed by Howard Hawks, and starring Paul Muni, George Raft, and Boris Karloff.

I don't think it will be anything like Pacino one. ;)

Chip R
07-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Tonight we finished Witness for the Prosecution, the 1957 film by Billy Wilder, an adaptation of an Agatha Christie play. Charles Laughton stars with Marlene Dietrich and Cincinnatian Tyrone Power (his last film). Power plays an Englishman, but never has an accent, just says chap occasionally, etc.

But, wow, what a surprise ending! And as the cast listings are shown, an announcer says something like, "the management of this theatre ask that you know divulge the surprise ending."

Laughton is very good and received an Oscar nomination (one of several for the movie).

Love that movie. The first time I saw it, I cracked up every time Dietrich spoke because she made me think of Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles.

RedsBaron
07-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Last night my 16 year old son, Jason, rented "12 Rounds," an action film starring John Cena, who apparently is also a "WWE" "wrestler." We watched it with him. It was full of speeding cars, shootings and explosions. When it was over Jason pronounced that it was a "good movie." I thought that it was unrealistic garbage.

Tony Cloninger
07-04-2009, 03:19 AM
Can someone explain to me why good actors like Clive Owen and now Gerard Butler.......do romantic comedies? Are following an agents orders to make these movies to get more appeal? Wtaching the previews for that new Butler movie with Kathryn Hiegel? was painful. No one laughed at anything during that preview. Must be major $$$

Raisor
07-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Saw The Hangover with the wife and the mother-in-law yesterday.

It was great.

pahster
07-05-2009, 10:12 AM
I saw Away We Go last night. Solid flick. Not quite as funny as I thought it might be, as it seemed to err towards the dramatic side, but that's alright.

BoydsOfSummer
07-05-2009, 06:10 PM
'Blood In the Streets" with Val Kilmer and "50 Cent". Made it halfway through before quitting and doing something else.

*BaseClogger*
07-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I saw Public Enemies a few nights ago.

Not as good as advertised IMO. There wasn't really a plot, it just sort of followed the life of Dillinger for a year without ever explaining anything or letting anything develop. The action scenes were fun though.

4/10

edit: woops, didn't see the Public Enemies Thread.

GAC
07-06-2009, 06:25 AM
I see where the following are going to be released on DVD this week. Anyone see these while they were playing at the theaters? Worth renting?

Knowing (Nicholas Cage)
Push (Dakota Fanning)
the Unborn

bucksfan2
07-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Taken 10/10

Love the movie. It is pure adrenaline for 45 minutes to an hour. The plot is very good, the action is top notch, and Liam Neeson is a awesome.

RedsBaron
07-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Taken 10/10

Love the movie. It is pure adrenaline for 45 minutes to an hour. The plot is very good, the action is top notch, and Liam Neeson is a awesome.
I enjoyed "Taken" but at the end I was wondering how in the world Neeson would ever be able to fly out of France. With the trail of death and destruction he left, I would think he would have had a hard time getting onto a commercial plane.

bucksfan2
07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
I enjoyed "Taken" but at the end I was wondering how in the world Neeson would ever be able to fly out of France. With the trail of death and destruction he left, I would think he would have had a hard time getting onto a commercial plane.

He took a charter plane over there. I would assume thats how he got home.

The Baumer
07-07-2009, 03:05 AM
I see where the following are going to be released on DVD this week. Anyone see these while they were playing at the theaters? Worth renting?

Knowing (Nicholas Cage)
Push (Dakota Fanning)
the Unborn

I saw Knowing. Much better than expected. A very entertaining, little sci-fi film. Would recommend.

AccordinglyReds
07-07-2009, 03:11 AM
Confessions of a Shopaholic

Pretty good, though some of it was too dramatic to be funny.

cincyinco
07-07-2009, 05:25 AM
The haunting of Molly hartley.

The wife's pick.

Terrible. No plot, not scary, and drawn out.

jimbo
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
I watched one of my own personal favorites last night, Sideways. I just love the real human interest of the story and it's easy to relate to the characters at times. Of course, I am a big Paul Giamatti fan also.

I also watched The Illusionist the other night, another Giamatti film. Really liked this movie and thought Edward Norton did a fantastic job with the lead character.

camisadelgolf
07-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I watched one of my own personal favorites last night, Sideways. I just love the real human interest of the story and it's easy to relate to the characters at times. Of course, I am a big Paul Giamatti fan also.

I also watched The Illusionist the other night, another Giamatti film. Really liked this movie and thought Edward Norton did a fantastic job with the lead character.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If you have any film suggestions for me, please let me know.

GAC
07-07-2009, 06:05 PM

If you haven't already - check out The Prestige, which came out ab out the same time as the Illusionist.

Watched Knowing today. It was alright. Started out and progressed well; but then kinda had me rolling my eyes towards the end, and as the pieces started coming together. Based primarily on the alien (UFO) visit some have suggested concerning the vision in the Bible by Ezekiel and what became know as Ezekiel's wheel.

jimbo
07-07-2009, 07:08 PM
If you haven't already - check out The Prestige, which came out ab out the same time as the Illusionist.

Watched Knowing today. It was alright. Started out and progressed well; but then kinda had me rolling my eyes towards the end, and as the pieces started coming together. Based primarily on the alien (UFO) visit some have suggested concerning the vision in the Bible by Ezekiel and what became know as Ezekiel's wheel.

I've seen The Prestige a couple of times, also on the my long list of personal favorites.

Even though most of the reviews of Knowing haven't been all that great, I'm planning on making it a point to rent it anyways. I've always been a big fan of these types of sci-fi movies, even if they're mediocre.

Johnny Footstool
07-08-2009, 11:13 AM
I saw Doomsday last night. Meh. It had some fun action and fight scenes, but too many head-scratching plot points to make it really enjoyable. 6/10.

WMR
07-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I saw Doomsday last night. Meh. It had some fun action and fight scenes, but too many head-scratching plot points to make it really enjoyable. 6/10.

Rhona Mitra is so hot in that film.

WMR
07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I saw the movie 'Fanboys" the other night. If you've got a soft spot in your heart at all for Star Wars then you've GOT to see this movie. Very, very funny, and touching at the end as well. It also has A BUNCH of cameos. The funniest cameo involves Jay and Silent Bob (although Bob isn't silent, haha). Seth Rogen plays a couple roles, including an insane Trekkie, and is very funny as well.

flyer85
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
saw Public Enemies. It was Ok ... nice vehicle for Depp

However, too many faces made it hard to follow who was who. Played rather loose with the facts other than Dillinger (both Floyd and Nelson were killed months after Dillinger).

redsmetz
07-08-2009, 04:31 PM
My wife and daughter and I went and saw Away We Go up at the Esquire. A fun little movie with some pretty funny acting from some of the actors. Allison Janney from the West Wing is over the top and Maggie Gyllenhaal is really funny too. Not great art, but pretty funny overall.

RedsBaron
07-08-2009, 08:27 PM

My wife and I saw The Illusionist a year or two ago and really liked it.
A few nights ago we watched Marley and Me. It was okay, nothing great.

Oxilon
07-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Planning on seeing the midnight showing of Bruno tonight. I have big expectations, especially after Borat, so I hope it lives up to the hype.

GIDP
07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Stephen Kings IT

jimbo
07-10-2009, 12:54 PM

I watched Knowing last night and had the same exact reaction. The ending was so disappointing and just had me shaking my head. Ruined what could have been a great movie as the first 3/4 of it had the hair on my arms standing up at times. They could have done so much better for a conclusion, IMO.

P.S. Was anyone else yelling at the scream multiple times during the movie saying: "Why do you keep leaving the kids in the car by themselves?????"

Oxilon
07-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Saw Bruno last night and it easily surpasses Borat in my book. Cohen crosses the line so many times and is completely over the top but it's just too funny not to laugh. When he visits the psychic and does one "last kiss," I was laughing my ass off for a good 20 minutes.

BCubb2003
07-10-2009, 07:20 PM

Knowing (Nicholas Cage)
Push (Dakota Fanning)
the Unborn

I saw Knowing. It was OK for a Back to the Future meets Armageddon meets Close Encounters. As you might guess, the premise was inherently silly, overacted with great seriousness. You might enjoy the ride, or think it's the dumbest thing ever.

GIDP
07-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Knowing is like the only movie Cage has made that hasnt completely sucked. That being said its still a pretty dumb and crappy movie. Just when it comes to Cage its a good one.

*BaseClogger*
07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Knowing is like the only movie Cage has made that hasnt completely sucked. That being said its still a pretty dumb and crappy movie. Just when it comes to Cage its a good one.

http://www.iconocast.com/B000000000000041/D0/News2_0.jpg

GIDP
07-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I havent seen that one but just judging the poster I would expect a terrible movie.

savafan
07-10-2009, 08:09 PM

Fast Times At Ridgemont High was pretty good...but not exactly a Cage vehicle.

GIDP
07-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Cage made some decent ones but its like he just went and made every movie in front of him the last 10 years or so.

*BaseClogger*
07-11-2009, 04:11 AM
I didn't like Bruno. That's all I'm going to say...

Jpup
07-12-2009, 03:55 AM
I watched The Wrestler last night. It was terrible. I'm a huge wrestling fan, but that movie was brutal.

GIDP
07-12-2009, 08:33 AM
I watched The Wrestler last night. It was terrible. I'm a huge wrestling fan, but that movie was brutal.

what? How on earth did you not like that movie. Even hate it that much that you call it brutal.

WMR
07-12-2009, 02:45 PM
The Wrestler should've been nominated for Best Picture and Mickey Rourke should've won for best actor. Amazing, amazing film.

I can see how big wrestling fans might not like the light that it shines on their "sport" however. It ends up being a sad life for most of those guys.

Redhook
07-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I didn't like Bruno. That's all I'm going to say...

It wasn't very funny. Disappointing. I had high hopes for it.

*BaseClogger*
07-12-2009, 04:28 PM

I don't know how to describe it, other than I felt uncomfortable not laughing...

The Baumer
07-12-2009, 05:34 PM

My thoughts exactly. I knew it was going to be very extreme and graphic but I also expected it to be funnier. The fake plot was too unfocused and the few truly hilarious parts (which were all packed together during the Alabama/going straight run at the end) were overshadowed by the bits that didn't work as well. I still think the HBO Ali G dvds are his best stuff.

Redsfaithful
07-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I thought Bruno was great. That + The Hangover alone have made 2009 a good year for comedies.

It wasn't as good as Borat, but still outstanding.

Jpup
07-12-2009, 09:23 PM
what? How on earth did you not like that movie. Even hate it that much that you call it brutal.

I thought it was a terrible movie. Yes, it could be viewed as realistic, but I just didn't like it at all. The ending wasn't even an ending.

BoydsOfSummer
07-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Saw 'Knowing'. Meh. I think I've only liked one Cage movie--Leaving Las Vegas I think was the title.

GAC
07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Saw 'Knowing'. Meh. I think I've only liked one Cage movie--Leaving Las Vegas I think was the title.

Watched it earlier in the week. I wasn't that impressed with it either.

One of Cage's best is Raising Arizona. Simply a classic.

Saturday was ganster movie day for me. I just purchased from Amazon the extended 2-disk version of Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In America. Its been years since I saw it. Solid movie.

Also watched Good Fellas again. ;)

BuckeyeRed27
07-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah Bruno just wasn't very good. Used the same formula as Borat but just didn't hold up. He was just going for shock value.

Hoosier Red
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
The trailer for Knowing and Push showed during "Twilight" this past Christmas. Both trailers looked so horrific that I don't think I could be persuaded to see either.

TRF
07-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Watched Push yesterday. It didn't suck, was a little better than Jumper.

I plan to watch Taken asap.

redsmetz
07-13-2009, 06:51 PM
My wife and I pulled out Apollo 13 to watch yesterday. It's such a fine film with great performances all around, including from so much of the supporting cast. A very good drama, even though you know how it ends.

PedroBourbon
07-15-2009, 07:24 PM
I am a huge Sacha Baron Cohen fan and have to agree that Bruno was a bit of a let down. It seemed way to scripted when compared to Borat. WAY TOO much c**k in the movie, literally. If any of you guys like him, you HAVE to get the season 1 and 2 of the Ali G show, much better and all spontaneous, not scripted which is the major downfall of the movie.

Push was better than I thought. Reminded me of The Matrix but not a total ripoff.

Did really like Taken. Hard not to remind yourself of Liam's wife recently dying and this movie is about a kidnapped daughter. It was the best of the 3 I mentioned.

Tom Servo
07-16-2009, 03:18 AM
A Scanner Darkly.

My brain hurts.

The Baumer
07-16-2009, 04:30 AM
I thought A Scanner Darkly was a neat little film. I saw it twice in theaters.

cincyinco
07-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Just watched the fountain again..

What a mind f...

Razor Shines
07-16-2009, 05:03 AM

What a mind f...

Awesome, a sequel!

cincyinco
07-16-2009, 05:11 AM
Awesome, a sequel!

Heh' whoops, I don't think my brain could wrap itself around a sequel, since I have seen it several times and still walk away every time going "wtf?"

:D

TRF
07-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Watched Taken last night with my son. We figure a drinking game could be made in regards to how many guys he killed. I think the total was over 25.

Tom Servo
07-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I thought A Scanner Darkly was a neat little film. I saw it twice in theaters.
Now that I've sat down, thought about the plot, and let the movie synch in, I realized I did like the movie. It just kinda blew my mind at first.

Chip R
07-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I watched Starting Out In the Evening last night with Frank Langella and Lauren Ambrose. Pretty good film.

GAC
07-16-2009, 09:57 PM

What a mind f...

Turned it off after about 45 minutes. I can't believe I lasted that long.

Anyone seen The Unborn (new release on DVD)?

Redsfaithful
07-18-2009, 11:54 AM
I watched all of The Fountain GAC, and was pretty irritated afterwards I didn't do the same thing you did.

Johnny Footstool
07-20-2009, 01:10 AM
"Quantum of Solace."

Pile of Crap.

After the amazing "Casino Royale," "Quantum" is like a stinkpile of bad ideas. The villain is utterly banal. His evil plan is to provide utilities at inflated costs. Seriously, that's it. They hold the final showdown in a hotel in the desert(?) powered by hydrogen cells(?). People die, and stuff blows up, and none of it is entertaining or even exciting. There are only about 35 seconds of fun in the whole movie.

RedsBaron
07-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Johnny, "Quantum of Solace" continued a Bond tradition of the second outing of an actor as 007 not being as good as the first.
Roger Moore's "The Man With The Golden Gun" was one of the poorest films in the series, and not as good as his debut in "Live and Let Die."
While I am one of the few people who liked Timothy Dalton's second 007 film, "License To Kill," it was less successful than his debut of "The Living Daylights."
Pierce Brosnan followed up his execellent debut of "Goldeneye" with the poorer entry of "Tomorrow Never Dies."
The only actors to avoid that "tradition" have been Sean Connery, whose second 007 film, "From Russia With Love", was one the best of the series, and George Lazenby, who only made one Bond film.

redsfandan
07-20-2009, 08:49 AM
In the middle of watching Apollo 13 again (20 minutes here, 40 minutes there, ...). Just seemed timely.

Johnny Footstool
07-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Johnny, "Quantum of Solace" continued a Bond tradition of the second outing of an actor as 007 not being as good as the first.
Roger Moore's "The Man With The Golden Gun" was one of the poorest films in the series, and not as good as his debut in "Live and Let Die."
While I am one of the few people who liked Timothy Dalton's second 007 film, "License To Kill," it was less successful than his debut of "The Living Daylights."
Pierce Brosnan followed up his execellent debut of "Goldeneye" with the poorer entry of "Tomorrow Never Dies."
The only actors to avoid that "tradition" have been Sean Connery, whose second 007 film, "From Russia With Love", was one the best of the series, and George Lazenby, who only made one Bond film.

It's like the producers took the things that made Daniel Craig engaging as Bond and intentionally removed them from the story. In "Quantum," he's basically a clueless thug who stumbles around, kills dozens of people, and happens to blow up the bad guys.

KittyDuran
07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
"Quantum of Solace."

Pile of Crap.

After the amazing "Casino Royale," "Quantum" is like a stinkpile of bad ideas. The villain is utterly banal. His evil plan is to provide utilities at inflated costs. Seriously, that's it. They hold the final showdown in a hotel in the desert(?) powered by hydrogen cells(?). People die, and stuff blows up, and none of it is entertaining or even exciting. There are only about 35 seconds of fun in the whole movie.Thanks, JF... haven't watched QOS for a few weeks now - your glowing (radioactive) review gives me a good excuse to watch it again! :evil:

KittyDuran
07-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Watched Harry Potter (twice) over the weekend. Had a free ticket on Friday and then took in a viewing yesterday at the Rave in West Chester (the best seat in town). Went out last week and purchased The Order of the Phoenix to get the feel of the series since I never read any books or saw any movies - but the trailer looked interesting...so...

I really enjoyed it... good effects, scrumptious cinematography and good acting (better than Order of the Phoenix IMHO). Liked the romance - wizard style, plus the all around "British" feel. I'm sort of the Anglophile so this was a real treat.

reds1869
07-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Watched Harry Potter (twice) over the weekend. Had a free ticket on Friday and then took in a viewing yesterday at the Rave in West Chester (the best seat in town). Went out last week and purchased The Order of the Phoenix to get the feel of the series since I never read any books or saw any movies - but the trailer looked interesting...so...

I really enjoyed it... good effects, scrumptious cinematography and good acting (better than Order of the Phoenix IMHO). Liked the romance - wizard style, plus the all around "British" feel. I'm sort of the Anglophile so this was a real treat.

My wife and I must be the only two people on the planet who didn't care for the new Potter flick. I don't know why, it just seemed blah to me. And I'm even a total anglophile like you.

KittyDuran
07-20-2009, 03:15 PM
My wife and I must be the only two people on the planet who didn't care for the new Potter flick. I don't know why, it just seemed blah to me. And I'm even a total anglophile like you.Well, at least it was just "blah" to you/wife. Some of the fans I know were pretty bummed out about it - a downer of a movie. But as long as a movie entertains me I'll usually give it a thumbs up.

Chip R
07-20-2009, 04:03 PM

Was Daniel Craig in this one? :p:

*BaseClogger*
07-20-2009, 05:26 PM
I watched The Order of the Phoenix the night before seeing the next Potter movie. It wasn't very good. 4/10

I thought Halfblood Prince was awesome. 8/10

RedsBaron
07-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Last weekend we rented "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," Brendan Fraser's third "Mummy" movie. Okay for kids, but I was bored.

VR
07-20-2009, 06:06 PM
My wife talked me into seeing 'The Proposal' Saturday night. It was 'fantastic', best romantic comedy I've seen in a long long time.
Ryan Reynolds is a funny dude.

Johnny Footstool
07-23-2009, 11:23 AM
"The Wrestler."

Mickey Roarke gets five stars for his performance. The plot gets two stars (barely).

The gritty underbelly of professional wrestling was already covered in the excellent documentary "Beyond the Mat", without the need for ridiculously simplistic melodrama.

Daren Aronofsky is a fantastic director of actors, and he has a great visual sense. But both this movie and "Requiem for a Dream" feel like After-School Specials with cliched, overwrought plots.

bucksfan2
07-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I watched The Order of the Phoenix the night before seeing the next Potter movie. It wasn't very good. 4/10

I thought Halfblood Prince was awesome. 8/10

I only read the first book and a half of the Potter series. I have been plesantly surprised with the movies. From about the 4th one on they have been very good.

The Halfblood Prince didn't disappoint. It was a little long, and a little anti-climatic. Harry and friends are ready to go on a great adventure, but you will have to wait 6+ months in order for that adventure to begin.

*BaseClogger*
07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I only read the first book and a half of the Potter series. I have been plesantly surprised with the movies. From about the 4th one on they have been very good.

The Halfblood Prince didn't disappoint. It was a little long, and a little anti-climatic. Harry and friends are ready to go on a great adventure, but you will have to wait 6+ months in order for that adventure to begin.

You'll just have to read the books... ;)

cumberlandreds
07-27-2009, 09:56 AM
I DVR'd Dark Victory last week and watched it over the weekend. A great performance by Bette Davis. This was made in the great film year of 1939 so she and the movie lost out in the awards. George Brent, Humphery Bogart,Ronald Reagan are also in this one. Brent is the co-star but I didn't find his acting all that good. Bogart and Reagan are supporting actors who you kind of wonder why they are in the movie. Davis makes this movie and it's worth your while to catch it on TCM or AMC and watch it. I think I'm going start recording these old classics that I have always meant to watch. This one was one of my mothers favorites and I can see why. Below is the synopsis of the movie via TCM.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=586&category=Articles

Johnny Footstool
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
"Wet Hot American Summer"

Not quite as funny as I remember, but still a good spoof. A couple of years ago, I would have given it an 8; now it's a 7. The deleted scenes, however, get a 9.

BoydsOfSummer
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
"Wet Hot American Summer"

Not quite as funny as I remember, but still a good spoof. A couple of years ago, I would have given it an 8; now it's a 7. The deleted scenes, however, get a 9.

I think I saw the "other" version of that one. :cool:

SunDeck
07-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.
Saw it last night.

WMR
07-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.
Saw it last night.

Wow you're a regular Roger Ebert. :p:

GIDP
07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
I love you man.

Pretty funny

The Baumer
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
I thought the latest HP was excellent. It was "magical" but still very dark and solemn. My kind of movie.

Joseph
07-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Saw "Orphan" over the weekend.

Took a little while to get going. Then seemed a bit unrealistic. Then it kicked into gear and got real creepy.

The last half hour, give or take, was very good at making you uncomfortable and creeped out a bit.

RedsBaron
07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Not a movie per se, but I recently bought the DVD set of "Firefly" and I have now watched "Serenity" (the pilot) and "Trainjob." Yep, another series cancelled before it should have been.

oneupper
07-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Saw Harry Potter and 1/2 Blood Prince in Florence KY (end of my Midwest Road Trip).

OK, I guess. The kids picked out the flaws/divergences from the book. I watched and understood most of it, so that was good.

It wasn't boring.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Not a movie per se, but I recently bought the DVD set of "Firefly" and I have now watched "Serenity" (the pilot) and "Trainjob." Yep, another series cancelled before it should have been.

You are in for a great ride.

"Our Mrs. Reynolds" is my favorite episode, and "Trash" isn't far behind.

Then you get to watch the theatrical movie "Serenity." Simply magnificent.

RedsBaron
07-28-2009, 11:55 AM
You are in for a great ride.

"Our Mrs. Reynolds" is my favorite episode, and "Trash" isn't far behind.

Then you get to watch the theatrical movie "Serenity." Simply magnificent.

I purchased and watch the theatrical movie "Serenity" DVD a year ago and enjoyed it. Of course, I am now watching the episodes of the TV series knowing what will happen to the characters in the later film.
I am amazed that FOX apparently required Weldon to begin the series broadcasts with "Trainjob" instead of the pilot film. The DVD set correctly puts the episodes in order, beginning with the pilot.

Razor Shines
07-28-2009, 04:46 PM
My wife and I saw (500) Days of Summer the other night. I didn't think I would like it very much, but I really enjoyed it.

Hoosier Red
07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
For those who saw Harry Potter and haven't read the books, everything made sense to you?

I've watched the last two films and thought to myself, "well if I hadn't read the book that wouldn't have made any sense."

I went back and read book 6 after, and then of course had to read book 7 as well. But I'm a dork and I can accept that.

TRF
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Also not a movie, But I am watching the only season of Space: Above and Beyond. 13 years old and it's still the best SciFi show I have ever seen. Better than Firefly. Better than the X-Files.

This weekend I am watching the Torchwood mini series Children of Earth.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I purchased and watch the theatrical movie "Serenity" DVD a year ago and enjoyed it. Of course, I am now watching the episodes of the TV series knowing what will happen to the characters in the later film.
I am amazed that FOX apparently required Weldon to begin the series broadcasts with "Trainjob" instead of the pilot film. The DVD set correctly puts the episodes in order, beginning with the pilot.

I watched the "Serenity" movie before the series, too. I rank it alongside "Star Wars" and "STII: The Wrath of Khan" as my favorite sci-fi movies of all time.

Yeah, Fox really hosed Whedon there. I think that incident might have helped them make the decision to renew his new show "Dollhouse."

oneupper
07-28-2009, 06:32 PM
For those who saw Harry Potter and haven't read the books, everything made sense to you?

I've watched the last two films and thought to myself, "well if I hadn't read the book that wouldn't have made any sense."

I went back and read book 6 after, and then of course had to read book 7 as well. But I'm a dork and I can accept that.

Without reading or listening to the books, I don't think you can get through the HP movies.

I still had some trouble here and there, just because I hadn't read book 6 recently.
But my kids are huge HP fans and even know all the third-tier characters.

(you can't apparate on Hogwarts grounds!)

The Baumer
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM

I haven't ready any of the books and I followed every movie fine. Maybe I didn't make much of small hints or references to omitted storylines from the book, but I did understand the movies. The last one particular was my favorite. Sometimes not immediately knowing the names and the references helps create a more realistic "world" and I like that I was able to get lost inside the last movie's world.

GAC
07-28-2009, 09:31 PM
OK. I've been told by several that the new movie Orphan is a must-see.

KittyDuran
07-28-2009, 09:57 PM
I haven't ready any of the books and I followed every movie fine. Maybe I didn't make much of small hints or references to omitted storylines from the book, but I did understand the movies. The last one particular was my favorite. Sometimes not immediately knowing the names and the references helps create a more realistic "world" and I like that I was able to get lost inside the last movie's world.I would say that is my opinion as well. I've only seen the last two movies and have no desire to see the previous movies or read any of the books. I just enjoy being entertained in a movie theater - and the latest installment was very entertaining for me - and I plan on seeing it in IMAX hopefully this weekend..

Joseph
07-28-2009, 10:02 PM
OK. I've been told by several that the new movie Orphan is a must-see.

I talked about a page or two back GAC.

Must see, dunno. Solid though, yeah if you like creepy stuff :D

paintmered
07-28-2009, 10:18 PM

I've not read the books but I did watch the latest Harry Potter with my girlfriend who has read all the books. I enjoyed the movie more than she did because every divergence between the book and movie appeared glaring to her. I followed 95% of the movie. She filled me in on the last 5%.

I thought the movie was entertaining. I thought the cinematography was excellent. The movie has a lot going for it as long as you don't let preconceived notions cloud your expectations.

jimbo
07-29-2009, 02:11 AM
Just got finished watching The Machinist. I thought the movie was ok, kept me entertained, but I was more fascinated by how much weight Christain Bale lost for the role. It was hard recognizing him at times. Looked it up and found that he had lost 63 lbs and got down to 120, eating only one can of tuna and one apple a day. That's dedication.

KittyDuran
07-29-2009, 09:30 AM
I've not read the books but I did watch the latest Harry Potter with my girlfriend who has read all the books. I enjoyed the movie more than she did because every divergence between the book and movie appeared glaring to her. I followed 95% of the movie. She filled me in on the last 5%.

I thought the movie was entertaining. I thought the cinematography was excellent. The movie has a lot going for it as long as you don't let preconceived notions cloud your expectations.My niece is a children's librarian in FL and has read all the books - she enjoyed the movie but not as much as I because of what was missing.

KittyDuran
07-29-2009, 09:32 AM
The movie has a lot going for it as long as you don't let preconceived notions cloud your expectations.That can be applied to a lot of movies - esp ones with a fan/cult following or based on popular novels.

RichRed
07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
My niece is a children's librarian in FL and has read all the books - she enjoyed the movie but not as much as I because of what was missing.

My wife and I have both read all the books. The stuff they leave out of the movies always bothers her but not me (maybe because I don't remember the details in the books as well as she does). I loved the books and I've also really liked the movies. I thought the Half-Blood Prince movie was great.

*BaseClogger*
07-30-2009, 04:51 PM
The Wrestler

Mickey Rourke was excellent, but the plot itself was more meh. I don't like open endings.

6/10

Johnny Footstool
07-30-2009, 04:59 PM
The Wrestler

Mickey Rourke was excellent, but the plot itself was more meh. I don't like open endings.

6/10

I didn't like the plot, either, but I'm pretty sure the ending wasn't open. I don't have any doubt as to what happened.

*BaseClogger*
07-30-2009, 05:07 PM
I didn't like the plot, either, but I'm pretty sure the ending wasn't open. I don't have any doubt as to what happened.

What do you think happened?

The Baumer
07-30-2009, 06:15 PM
He goes, baby.

*BaseClogger*
07-30-2009, 06:34 PM
He goes, baby.

It is far from certain what happens though...

The Baumer
07-30-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm not saying it because that is what I want it to be. It's just what it says in the script. The last few lines confirm the outcome.

GAC
07-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Anyone seen A Haunting In Connecticut? I've been told it's well worth seeing. Gonna rent it tonight. It's supposedly based on an alleged true story .... just like the Amityville Horror supposedly was :lol: ....

But the "hollywood" effects, while making it a good movie to see, render it unbelievable from a reality perspective. Kind of over-the-top.

texasdave
07-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Natural Childbirth - Health Class (circa 1971). After that fateful encounter I have sworn off watching anything when the lights go out.

texasdave
07-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Anyone seen A Haunting In Connecticut? I've been told it's well worth seeing. Gonna rent it tonight. It's supposedly based on an alleged true story .... just like the Amityville Horror supposedly was :lol: ....

But the "hollywood" effects, while making it a good movie to see, render it unbelievable from a reality perspective. Kind of over-the-top.

I just watched the Reds get spanked by the Padres today and that has to as horrifying as anything that Hollywood puts out. I was chilled to the bone in broad daylight.

Highlifeman21
07-31-2009, 12:53 AM

Haven't seen the movie, but I've seen the house where the supposed events took place.

Converted funeral parlor into house.

*BaseClogger*
07-31-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm not saying it because that is what I want it to be. It's just what it says in the script. The last few lines confirm the outcome.

You read the script? What does it say?

cumberlandreds
07-31-2009, 09:20 AM

Me and the wife saw it at the theatre. Its OK. A little over the top like you said. It's quite a bit different from the TV show that aired on Discovery channel. If you are renting it,it's worth the $4 or so to view it.

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2009, 11:23 AM
What do you think happened?

****SPOILER****

The guy has been self-destructive throughout his life. That's the only way he knows. The scene in the supermarket when he goes nuts and storms out is him deciding that he has had enough of his miserable existence. He dies on his own terms, and regains a bit of dignity in the process.

RedsBaron
08-01-2009, 08:47 AM
I watched Fever Pitch with my 16 year old son Jason last night. Cute, a bit silly at times, funny. If you are a Red Sox fan you will love it.

*BaseClogger*
08-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Funny People

Decently funny. Probably Adam Sandler's best "acting" performance. Jonah Hill was great. Everything else was meh.

5/10

Razor Shines
08-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I also saw Funny People last night. I thought it was really good for the first 1 hr and 45 minutes. And then something happened. I don't know if Judd Apatow shot the first Hour 45 really, really economically and had a bunch of cash left so he decided to really draw out the ending. Like how you see some movies that just end really abruptly and you think "wow, they must have run out of money or something", this was the exact opposite. Or maybe Judd thought that he was directing an episode of 24 and decided to shoot the last 45! minutes in real time. I don't know, what I do know is that Apatow's got a lot of balls making a 2 and a half hour comedy. I thought it would have been a great movie at 1 hr 55 minutes or so.

Redsfaithful
08-02-2009, 03:51 AM
That's the thing though, I don't think Funny People is a comedy. I mean it's funny, but the subject matter is pretty dark all the way through.

I thought it was pretty good, didn't disappoint me. I expect to hear a lot of complaints about the length, but I didn't mind. I'll still happily go see anything with Apatow's name on it, it's amazing he hasn't broken my trust yet.

*BaseClogger*
08-02-2009, 04:23 AM
I think it's awesome the movie was two and a half hours. Got my money's worth!

*BaseClogger*
08-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Fairly funny. Most of my laughs were directed at the supporting guys like Jonah Hill and Paul Rudd. I just don't find Jason Segel funny at all.

5/10

Razor Shines
08-02-2009, 05:14 AM
That's the thing though, I don't think Funny People is a comedy. I mean it's funny, but the subject matter is pretty dark all the way through.

I thought it was pretty good, didn't disappoint me. I expect to hear a lot of complaints about the length, but I didn't mind. I'll still happily go see anything with Apatow's name on it, it's amazing he hasn't broken my trust yet.

Yeah it wasn't completely a comedy. And I did like the movie and also will still see anything with Apatow's name on it. I just thought he could have wrapped up that ending a little quicker, it's not like there were shocking twists. We all had an idea of where it was going. I just thought it dragged there for a bit, maybe I'm wrong though.

RichRed
08-02-2009, 10:23 AM
****SPOILER****

The guy has been self-destructive throughout his life. That's the only way he knows. The scene in the supermarket when he goes nuts and storms out is him deciding that he has had enough of his miserable existence. He dies on his own terms, and regains a bit of dignity in the process.

I agree. In addition, it's pretty clear that he understands how to deal with physical pain; the emotional kind, he can't handle. So he goes back to what he knows.

Rourke's performance was good but I thought the overall movie was just ok.

RichRed
08-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I watched Fever Pitch with my 16 year old son Jason last night. Cute, a bit silly at times, funny. If you are a Red Sox fan you will love it.

I liked the original with Colin Firth much better.

smith288
08-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Slumdog Millionaire.

Meh. First of all, I have to criticize the sound levels of this movie. I had to keep adjusting the volume throughout the whole movie (i have a crappy sharp stereo but i still shouldnt have to do that).

Next, I guess im not a romantic because I thought the plot was cliche. The gameshow aspect was sily though that was the whole point of the movie I guess. I dont see how this was a HUGE Hollywood elite hit but something like Gran Turino wasnt.

kpresidente
08-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Slumdog Millionaire.

Meh. First of all, I have to criticize the sound levels of this movie. I had to keep adjusting the volume throughout the whole movie (i have a crappy sharp stereo but i still shouldnt have to do that).

Next, I guess im not a romantic because I thought the plot was cliche. The gameshow aspect was sily though that was the whole point of the movie I guess. I dont see how this was a HUGE Hollywood elite hit but something like Gran Turino wasnt.

Think about this: If the old man in Gran Torino had been played by anyone other than Clint Eastwood, would you have liked the movie? I wouldn't. Everything outside of him is incredibly cheesy. Hell, even Eastwood is cheesy.

The problem with the critics of the movie is they don't get just how cool Clint Eastwood really is, and how the cheesiness of the rest of the movie plays right into his hands. The persona he gives you (the same one he gives in every movie he's ever done) is phony, but people like him are phony in real life. That makes him unintentionally believable, and so it works even though it shouldn't. But believable itself isn't enough in this case. You have to like the character as well, and Eastwood is idealistic enough (stupidly but genuinely) that you can't help but like him. That's why Eastwood is Eastwood and Gran Torino is a good movie, but not a great movie.

Then you have Slumdog Millionaire, which was a better movie but, I agree, overrated. The problem wasn't the game show, it was that the movie had an undertone of preachiness (like the scene where the boy yells at American tourist, "You came here to see India, well, this is India!" -- barf, that kid would never even think something like that), which works against the movie. The reason why the Hollywood and elitist critics don't notice is because the movie is preaching the religion they subscribe to. Also, it degrades into cliche by the end. The love story gets sappy and the mobster element is a little tired.

But the first half of the movie, when the characters are children, is so good it makes up for it. (Take love story, for example, it's sweet and genuine when it's children, the problem is that it doesn't grow up when they do.) These are young children dealing with situations that would be intense for any adult. The plot isn't artificial or forced, so you can buy into how they find themselves in these situations, and their innocence gives you that inspiring sort of "ray of light in the midst of darkness" feeling.

Also, the game show element is perfect. It's not supposed to be believable, that's not the point. The point is to mix an element of light-hearted fantasy into the dark drama, so you don't get emotionally overwhelmed, and it works. Anybody can make a dramatic movie. All you have to do is explode the screen with haunting imagery. But if you don't do it right, the viewer leaves feeling drained and disheartened, which quite frankly, sucks.

A really good movie is, IMO, both entertaining and moving. Slumdog pulls that off, though with some flaws along the way. In Gran Torino, Eastwood tries to be moving, and ends up only being entertaining. Good, but still only half the pie.

kpresidente
08-02-2009, 02:00 PM
The Wrestler

Yep, the plot kept getting the in the way of some great characters (although I never really liked the daughter). Rourke and Tomei make the whole movie. They should have downplayed the storyline and focused more on them. Throw in a dad character or something so you don't get tired of the love story.

KittyDuran
08-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Saw Harry Potter in IMAX 3D - very nice - just wished that the whole movie was in 3D. They also showed the 3D trailer of Disney's animated A Christmas Carol. Really looking forward to that. BTW, HP was my first time with the IMAX 3D - the last time I saw a movie in 3D the lenses were still red and blue! :yikes:

dougdirt
08-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Funny People.... It was almost like two movies in one. The first one was good. The second one, not so much. That said, it wasn't that funny. There were a few good one liners in the movie, but it wasn't funny. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be funny.

Hoosier Red
08-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Saw Harry Potter in IMAX 3D - very nice - just wished that the whole movie was in 3D. They also showed the 3D trailer of Disney's animated A Christmas Carol. Really looking forward to that. BTW, HP was my first time with the IMAX 3D - the last time I saw a movie in 3D the lenses were still red and blue! :yikes:

Okay, that's something I was curious about. There aren't the red and blue lenses any more?

Johnny Footstool
08-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Okay, that's something I was curious about. There aren't the red and blue lenses any more?

3D movies in the theater are shown using two projectors, and the lenses are clear and polarized.

When those same 3D movies come out on DVD, they do use the old fashioned red and blue lenses.

Degenerate39
08-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Watchmen on Blu-Ray. Pretty amazing quality

cumberlandreds
08-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Me and the wife saw Orphan this past weekend. Pretty good movie. It has a nice little twist to it that makes it just a little above average scary movie. It's worth a trip to the theatre to see it. The little girl who played Esther was really good but I thought the adult actors were average at best.

TRF
08-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Bridewars.

it burned. what a craptastic piece of crap. I was forced to watch. I'm hoping to find something mindlessly violent to cleanse my movie palate.

RedsBaron
08-03-2009, 01:13 PM
We rented Transporter 3 last night. I couldn't get into it.

pedro
08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Saw "Up" yesterday. Good movie.

BuckeyeRed27
08-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I saw "500 Days of Summer" this weekend and really loved it. It's actually my favorite movie so far this year. Highly recommend it.

Tom Servo
08-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Just saw (500) Days of Summer as well and thought it was amazing. The material is very close to my own life and it was perfectly done. I give it 21053 stars.

GAC
08-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm still trying to watch Defiance. I guess I need to quit lying down on that nice huge comfortable kingsize bed. I keep falling asleep!

So far it seems like a good movie. ;)

My youngest has discovered Stephen King. We just purchased "It" in a discount bin, and he's been watching it (literally).

The Baumer
08-09-2009, 08:43 PM
A Perfect Getaway.

Not perfect but a very entertaining thriller.

KittyDuran
08-09-2009, 09:23 PM
A Perfect Getaway.

Not perfect but a very entertaining thriller.Saw it today as well - interesting who-done-it and it was entertaining - something that has to be when I watch a movie. Really gets going the last half hour. Timothy Olyphant was really good (and looked wonderful as well). Might have to see it again to catch all the little clues before the reveal at the end.

Raisor
08-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Saw Funny People today. Not funny.

I love the Apatow movies as a whole, but this was bad.

guttle11
08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Watch In Bruges last night on one of the movie channels...Excellent, excellent film. Very dark mixture of comedy and drama. Just enough badass shooting.

Highly recommended.

Roy Tucker
08-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Saw 500 Days of Summer as well. I liked it a lot. Takes a pretty standard story and puts a different twist on it.

I once had a Summer in my life too.

Redlegs212
08-09-2009, 11:44 PM
just watched Shooter again with Mark Whalberg.

love that movie

forfreelin04
08-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Saw Funny People today. Not funny.

I love the Apatow movies as a whole, but this was bad.

Agreed. It was an hour too long. The characters were not likable. Dialogue was flat and not funny.

It painted a picture (I'm guessing) of what being famous is really like. Those who made it (Sandler) and those who are trying. (Rogen) Regardless, I don't want real life when I go see a comedy. I want outrageous. ( The Hangover)

redsmetz
08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
My wife and daughter and I went to see Julie & Julia over the weekend. Meryl Streep continues to amaze with her performances. Her acting was similar to Sean Penn's in Milk last year; you just forget that it's the actor and see the character. There may have been a couple of spots where you glimpsed Streep, but otherwise, you pretty much rode with it being Julia Child. Great filming too to give the impression that Streep was as tall as Child, perhaps the reverse of the hobbits in Lord of the Rings.

A fun little flick with, as I said, a great performance by Streep and good acting performance from Stanley Tucci too.

Johnny Footstool
08-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Watched "Beyond the Mat" again, and wondered if the director received any cash stipend from the producers of "The Wrestler."

SandyD
08-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Most recent movie: Julie and Julia, which I thought was delightful. Made me hungry too. So, go to an early show, and a late dinner. Or a matinee, and go home and cook.

redhawkfish
08-10-2009, 02:32 PM
My wife and I saw "The Hangover" last night. Very funny!

RichRed
08-10-2009, 02:42 PM
We got "He's Just Not That Into You" through Netflix. Insipid garbage. Wife and I both noted that it was 32 minutes into the movie before the first mildly funny thing was said. We turned it off about 3 minutes after that.

RedsManRick
08-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Funny People: 2.5/4. It tried to be both a comedy and a drama and, while entertaining at times, failed to do either terribly well. The standard Apatow low-brow comedy was very heavy handed and disjointed with the more serious aspects of the movie. I enjoy that sort of thing when it's the point, as in Superbad. But here it just distracted from what might have been a funny, insight look at the life of a successful comedian coming to grips with the vacuous nature of his life.

Harry Potter: 2/4. Visually stunning, but never seemed to capture the magic of the book. In particular, it really mismanaged what was one of the biggest moments in the series. It should have been an emotional crescendo and instead was more of a footnote.

BuckeyeRed27
08-10-2009, 06:16 PM
We got "He's Just Not That Into You" through Netflix. Insipid garbage. Wife and I both noted that it was 32 minutes into the movie before the first mildly funny thing was said. We turned it off about 3 minutes after that.

You should have stuck with it. It's not a great movie, but it does get better as it goes along.

redsmetz
08-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Most recent movie: Julie and Julia, which I thought was delightful. Made me hungry too. So, go to an early show, and a late dinner. Or a matinee, and go home and cook.

Well, yes, you wanted either Beef Stew (with the fancy French name) or that deletable Chicken with Mushrooms and Port. Yum.

BRM
08-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Watched Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny last night. Absolutely horrible.

dweston
08-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Watched A Little Trip to Heaven this past weekend with Forest Whitaker and Julia Stiles. Is not new and was not great but had some intense scenes. Decent overall.

SandyD
08-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Well, yes, you wanted either Beef Stew (with the fancy French name) or that deletable Chicken with Mushrooms and Port. Yum.

When it comes out on DVD it might make a fun at home "dinner and movie" date night.

BillDoran
08-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Two of my favorite films I've seen recently happen to be foreign films.

The Celebration (Festen) came out in '98 and tells the poignant tale of a family tragedy. It all unfolds at the family hotel in celebration of their father's 60th birthday. It's considered the first Dogme film, so you're getting no added music and long steady shots. It's an incredibly touching film that never bogs down in overwrought emotionality.

Simon, a Dutch film that came out in '04, tells the story of a friendship between a homosexual man and a heterosexual man. The movies discusses both same sex marriage and euthanasia and does so in an affective way. The character Simon is one of the more enjoyable characters I've ever come across. I've watched this movie multiple times, and I can only think of one other movie (This is Spinal Tap) that had me coming back for more.

dougdirt
08-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Agreed. It was an hour too long. The characters were not likable. Dialogue was flat and not funny.

It painted a picture (I'm guessing) of what being famous is really like. Those who made it (Sandler) and those who are trying. (Rogen) Regardless, I don't want real life when I go see a comedy. I want outrageous. ( The Hangover)
Are you suggesting that The Hangover couldn't really happen? :D

RedsBaron
08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I re-watched Serenity last night. As I have posted elsewhere, a few days ago I finished watching all 14 episodes of Firefly. While you can watch Serenity without first seeing the TV series on which it is based, it is really better to first watch the TV series.
I have usually liked a TV show better than I do a movie based upon the show because of the greater character development that is possible in the longer format. This was true for me in comparing Firefly with Serenity. In the movie, of necessity most of the Firefly crew are reduced to bit player status, as the fim primarily focuses on Mal, River and the Operative.
When I first watched the movie, the interactions between Mal and Inara, Zoe and Wash, Mal and Shepherd Book and Kaylee and Simon all failed to have that much impact upon me, because I didn't know the background of those characters and their histories with each other. Last night the movie was much better, given what I knew about everyone.
Serenity is a good movie but Firefly is a great TV show.

Johnny Footstool
08-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I re-watched Serenity last night. As I have posted elsewhere, a few days ago I finished watching all 14 episodes of Firefly. While you can watch Serenity without first seeing the TV series on which it is based, it is really better to first watch the TV series.
I have usually liked a TV show better than I do a movie based upon the show because of the greater character development that is possible in the longer format. This was true for me in comparing Firefly with Serenity. In the movie, of necessity most of the Firefly crew are reduced to bit player status, as the fim primarily focuses on Mal, River and the Operative.
When I first watched the movie, the interactions between Mal and Inara, Zoe and Wash, Mal and Shepherd Book and Kaylee and Simon all failed to have that much impact upon me, because I didn't know the background of those characters and their histories with each other. Last night the movie was much better, given what I knew about everyone.
Serenity is a good movie but Firefly is a great TV show.

I saw Serenity first, and found the characters so interesting and alive that I was convinced to watch Firefly on DVD. It's a credit to Joss Whedon's writing that even in the limited screen time each character gets, the essence of each character and their relationships come through.

forfreelin04
08-12-2009, 03:12 AM
Are you suggesting that The Hangover couldn't really happen? :D

Doug, out of all the people on this board. I KNOW you think it could happen.

And I do too.

dougdirt
08-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Went and saw (500) Days of Summer tonight. It was a decent movie. Not as good as I had expected from the trailer, but a decent movie still. Not what I expected, which is perhaps why I only thought it was decent.

Highlifeman21
08-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Just watched the old school Transformers cartoon movie, with Orson Welles as the voice of Unicron, which IIRC was his last credited film role.

LoganBuck
08-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Just watched the old school Transformers cartoon movie, with Orson Welles as the voice of Unicron, which IIRC was his last credited film role.

My kids and I watched that on youtube about a month ago. I have seen worse.

Has anybody seen the GI Joe movie? My oldest wants to see it.

OldRightHander
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Has anybody seen the GI Joe movie? My oldest wants to see it.

It's fast paced and relatively entertaining. Just suspend rational belief for a while.

The Baumer
08-14-2009, 07:40 PM
District 9 was very very good. Lots of layers and very smart story decisions. Made you feel very much for the characters.

VR
08-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

:)

George C. Scott was brilliant, Peter Sellers (x3) very good.

KoryMac5
08-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Saw 500 Days of Summer with the wife, we both loved it. Definitely a couples movie, loved how it moved in and out with the ebb and flow of the relationship.

*BaseClogger*
08-15-2009, 03:35 PM
District 9

Great movie. Every sci-fi fan should go out and see it. I was rooting for the aliens! Did it leave an opening for District 10?

8/10

pahster
08-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Bruno - Stupid, but funny. Not as good as Borat, but it was still entertaining enough to justify dropping $5 on it.

Moon - Excellent film. Superb performance by Sam Rockwell. Kevin Spacey also does pretty well in a voice role. Very well made. I'd been looking forward to this one for quite some time.

I'll be seeing (500) Days of Summer today and District 9 on Monday.

Raisor
08-15-2009, 05:32 PM

ARISE Rodimus Prime!

DINOBOTS! Destroy Devastator!
-Me Grimlock love a challange.

Why does boy punch Grimlock's nose?

One shall stand, one shall fall!

I'll rip out your optics!

RichRed
08-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Saw "I Love You, Man" last night. Pretty funny, not great, but Paul Rudd once again demonstrates his power to make me cackle like a lunatic.

WMR
08-15-2009, 08:40 PM
District 9

Great movie. Every sci-fi fan should go out and see it. I was rooting for the aliens! Did it leave an opening for District 10?

8/10

Tough critic!!

What's a 10 on the Clogger scale?

Raisor
08-15-2009, 11:52 PM
District 9 was freaking awesome.

Loved. It.

*BaseClogger*
08-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Tough critic!!

What's a 10 on the Clogger scale?

Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, V for Vendetta, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, and of course Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy...

The Baumer
08-16-2009, 02:12 AM
Saw "I Love You, Man" last night. Pretty funny, not great, but Paul Rudd once again demonstrates his power to make me cackle like a lunatic.

Have you seen Role Models? It has the same formula (funny dudes goofing around on top of a terrible cliche plot) but I thought it was much funnier and satisfying.

GAC
08-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Watched Defiance last night. Good movie, but over-hyped to me by several at work. Worth a watch, but nothing special.

RichRed
08-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Have you seen Role Models? It has the same formula (funny dudes goofing around on top of a terrible cliche plot) but I thought it was much funnier and satisfying.

Yep, and I agree, "Role Models" was funnier. Paul Rudd just cracks me up.

savafan
08-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Watched a Swedish vampire movie called "Let The Right One In". The DVD has dubbed and subtitled options. Seriously, may have been the best vampire movie I've ever seen, and I've seen them all. This was so much deeper than your average American horror movie. Had a very somber mood to it as well. I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it.

Johnny Footstool
08-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Watched a Swedish vampire movie called "Let The Right One In". The DVD has dubbed and subtitled options. Seriously, may have been the best vampire movie I've ever seen, and I've seen them all. This was so much deeper than your average American horror movie. Had a very somber mood to it as well. I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it.

Yep, best vampire movie ever.

GAC
08-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Recently bought a copy of Midnight Express and finally watched it again today. An excellent movie and solid acting by Brad Davis too. Even though the movie had some inaccuracies, as well as misportrayals of the Turkish people, that differed from Haye's book.

But it motivated me to do some research on whatever happened to Hayes. he apologized for the movie's portrayal of Turkey and it's people, and a couple years ago, when the Interpol warrant for him was allowed to expire, actually got to return to Turkey and speak at a conference.....

Revisiting the land of 'Midnight Express'

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/228860

And I was always under the impression that Brad Davis, who died of AIDs, was gay. Wrong. Davis was married to Susan Bluestein, who later became an Emmy Award-winning casting director.

Diagnosed with AIDS in 1985, Davis kept his condition secret until shortly before his death. Although the announcement said he died of AIDS in 1991 in Los Angeles, he actually died of an intentional drug overdose. Near death and in severe pain in a hospital, he opted to return home and end his life on his own terms. With his wife and a family friend present, he committed assisted suicide. Susan Bluestein Davis continues to campaign to combat AIDS. Davis was referred to as "the first heterosexual actor to die of AIDS"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Davis_(actor)

Chip R
08-16-2009, 09:33 PM

I've heard this was really good. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

savafan
08-16-2009, 09:44 PM
I've heard this was really good. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I have nothing but good things to say about it. It does start out a little slow, but once it gets going, you're drawn in. On another level, it's also a great coming of age movie.

WMR
08-16-2009, 09:52 PM
The ending to 'Let the Right One In' is one of my all-time favorites.

Jack Burton
08-16-2009, 09:55 PM
"Snow Angels"

Well done, but depressing. Great acting, Sam Rockwell's performance was award worthy.

VR
08-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Watched Defiance last night. Good movie, but over-hyped to me by several at work. Worth a watch, but nothing special.

Yep, the previews had me amped for a great movie....it was good, not as nearly as good as I had expected or hoped.

Johnny Footstool
08-17-2009, 12:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2DdAokSm8M

BuckeyeRed27
08-17-2009, 12:45 PM
I saw District 9 and The Hurt Locker this weekend.

Both were excellent.

Will M
08-18-2009, 02:21 AM

awesome flick!

The best true horror movies in recent years have been coming out of Europe & Mexico. American 'horror' flicks are either PG-13 flicks for the teenage date crowd or mindless violence flicks (think Saw 2,3,4 & 5) for the gore hounds.

Johnny Footstool
08-18-2009, 02:50 AM
awesome flick!

The best true horror movies in recent years have been coming out of Europe & Mexico. American 'horror' flicks are either PG-13 flicks for the teenage date crowd or mindless violence flicks (think Saw 2,3,4 & 5) for the gore hounds.

Unfortunately, an American remake of "Let the Right One In" is already in the works.

Johnny Footstool
08-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Saw "Severance" last night. It's a British-made semi-slasher flick about a group of co-workers sent on a team-building retreat in the forests of Eastern Europe. It's very smart, very clever, and it has a couple of teeth-grinding gore scenes. Very entertaining. 3.5 stars.

savafan
08-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately, an American remake of "Let the Right One In" is already in the works.

Not necessary! :thumbdown

WMR
08-18-2009, 08:31 PM
There's gotta be a 'District 10' coming, yes?

Man that movie leaves you wanting MOAR.

Loved the little alien kid. He is a badass.

Johnny Footstool
08-19-2009, 02:26 AM
Just finished "The Foot Fist Way." It was Danny McBride doing his Danny McBride thing -- hilarious and profane. I liked it as much as "Eastbound and Down."

Razor Shines
08-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Just finished "The Foot Fist Way." It was Danny McBride doing his Danny McBride thing -- hilarious and profane. I liked it as much as "Eastbound and Down."

I'm supposed to be doing some work right now, but on your recommendation I've got that movie playing on one of my screens and I just saw the part Danny McBride is going to have Rick and Marge (the old lady) spar. And he says: "Rick, you come with whatever you've got. Full contact, no holds barred. I'm gonna warn you, I don't think you're gonna like how this ends, hotshot." And then Rick beats the hell out of Marge and then kicks her in the stomach while she's down. I definitely woke up my wife with my laughing.

*BaseClogger*
08-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Cape Fear

The DeNiro one. Suspenseful and creepy, it is a classic.

6/10

*BaseClogger*
08-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Goodfellas

Overrated.

*ducks*

I just don't see how the story progressed. It kinda reminded me of Public Enemies in a way, because it was more of a biography, with gangsters coming, going, and dying, with very little development. And it was long. And did I say boring?

4/10

WMR
08-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Goodfellas

Overrated.

*ducks*

I just don't see how the story progressed. It kinda reminded me of Public Enemies in a way, because it was more of a biography, with gangsters coming, going, and dying, with very little development. And it was long. And did I say boring?

4/10

:lol:

That Clogger scale is something else! :help:

*BaseClogger*
08-20-2009, 03:55 PM
:lol:

That Clogger scale is something else! :help:

It's just my own personal scale. It's how entertaining *I* found the movie. And I thought it was below average and kind of boring...

WMR
08-20-2009, 03:57 PM
It's just my own personal scale. It's how entertaining *I* found the movie. And I thought it was below average and kind of boring...

I know man, just gotta give you grief over panning one of the greatest mob movies of all time.

*BaseClogger*
08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
I know man, just gotta give you grief over panning one of the greatest mob movies of all time.

Oh, and Robert DeNiro was weak in that movie compared to the other movie I watched this week, Cape Fear...

Raisor
08-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Goodfellas

Overrated.

*ducks*

4/10

Dude. While not in a Godfather level of awesomeness, Goodfellas is a great flick in every way possible. on a 0-10 gangster scale, with 0 being "Oscar" with Sly Stallone and 10 being "Godfather 2", Goodfellas is a solid 8.

Scrap Irony
08-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Dude. While not in a Godfather level of awesomeness, Goodfellas is a great flick in every way possible. on a 0-10 gangster scale, with 0 being "Oscar" with Sly Stallone and 10 being "Godfather 2", Goodfellas is a solid 8.

x2. Joe Pesci alone is worth five stars. And Ray Liotta is superb as well.

Johnny Footstool
08-21-2009, 05:55 PM
When "Layla" kicks in, everything changes.

BoydsOfSummer
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Goodfellas is the second best movie ever!

Saw 'I Love you Man'. Very entertaining. I've heard some say it's better than 'The Hangover', I think those people are very wrong.

Redhook
08-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Goodfellas

Overrated.

*ducks*

4/10

Gotta say your street cred just went down a notch with this review.

The Baumer
08-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Inglorious Basterds - Solid A!

Blimpie
08-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Finally saw Grand Torino last night.

It was okay--pretty overrated and extremely predictable IMO.

*BaseClogger*
08-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Last two features in my three night movie run:

Snatch

Very unique. I don't know if it was intended to be a comedy, but I laughed a lot. It was entertaining in an off-the-wall kind of way.

5/10

Dead Poets Society

This was a more straight forward film. I don't think it was one of Robin Williams best performances and it got cheesy at times, but it was an interesting story.

5/10

GIDP
08-22-2009, 07:13 PM
RocknRolla I have no idea what was going on in it. I felt like I was drunk trying to watch whats eating gilbert grape or something.

Tony Cloninger
08-22-2009, 07:46 PM
The new Tarentino movie....was okay to me. Bu the ending was a let down.
I mean...I know it is a movie....but you just rewrite history when there was a better ending to create out of Hitler, Bormann, Goebbels and the Fat Guy escaping?

WMR
08-22-2009, 08:33 PM
nm

redsmetz
08-22-2009, 10:00 PM
We went and saw Philadelphia Story last night at the Seasongood Pavilion in Eden Park last night, sponsored by the Mt. Adams Civic Assn. It was the final of three movies they showed there this summer (the others were To Catch A Thief and Some Like It Hot). We're sorry we missed the other two. Philadelphia Story is a fun little madcap flick with Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. Also good in the movie is the young actress who played Hepburn's sister. Lotsa fun.